Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #2401
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

mr woodcock - 1/10. not even remotely funny. "change of heart" made absolutely no sense. i get the feeling the studio ruined this, no way these actors signed on for what this movie was. im sure there's a great "here's how our vision got messed up" story waiting to come out.

I felt the same way with it. I just kept thinking, why in the hell did Susan Surandon sign up for this?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #2402
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I felt the same way with it. I just kept thinking, why in the hell did Susan Surandon sign up for this?

Because she's grown old, still thinks she's as hot as a 20-something and can't get any other acting gigs because she refuses to play the older women in the scripts.

Used to love her, but she's gotta moveon into supporting roles more. I was surprised she took this role too honestly, but after reading some articles while waiting in line at the grocery store I get the image of a bitter old woman who still thinks her tits look good when they hang down by her navel.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #2403
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Fired up a couple of Dan Ayrkoyd films last night.

Spies Like Us - 8/10 Chevy Chase and Aykroyd are simply brilliant in this one. The doctor scene still owns.

Trading Places - 8/10 Eddie Murphy and Aykroyd in another great movie.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #2404
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Wow, I'd give Roxanne an 8/10. The 20 insults scene is one of Steve Martin's best film moments.

but are you basing this on watching it as a movie that has aged now, or with childhood nostalgia?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #2405
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
but are you basing this on watching it as a movie that has aged now, or with childhood nostalgia?

I'm too old to have been a child when that came out, and I agree with "nostalgia" guy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #2406
samifan24
Pro Starter

3:10 to Yuma - 9/10

I'm ashamed to admit that I just now watched the Russell Crowe and Christian Bale remake of "3:10 to Yuma." Wow, Crowe and Bale were phenomenal. Ben Foster was also outstanding at Crowe's #2. Funny, I remember Foster from "Flash Forward" on the Disney Channel when I was a kid. How far he's come.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #2407
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think the girl from that Flash Forward show was Jewel Staite? i.e. Kaylee from Firefly?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #2408
MikeVic
Head Coach

Superman Returns - 7.5/10
Yeah I just watched this now. I don't remember anything from the old movies either. In this story, Superman has been gone for five years and now comes back. I felt overall the movie was enjoyable. I tad long, and there were aspects I didn't like... but Spacey as Luthor was great. I thought him and his girl reminded me of Pinky and The Brain.

edit to a 7.5... I remembered two things that bugged me quite a bit.
Spoiler

Last edited by MikeVic : 08-23-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #2409
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think the girl from that Flash Forward show was Jewel Staite? i.e. Kaylee from Firefly?

You are correct.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #2410
rowech
Pro Starter

Tropic Thunder (9/10) -- I actually loved this movie. One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while. Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #2411
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tropic Thunder 9.0/10 - Similar to rowech I enjoyed this movie and couldn't stop laughing at some of the scenes and lines.I didn't realize Tom Cruise was in the movie until about the end of the movie.Robert Downey Jr. is a great actor and very funny.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #2412
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Forgetting Sarah Marshall 9.0/10 - Great movie and I could relate to it and found it funny. Everyone did a great job with their roles and the supporting cast added to the movie. Mila Kunis is so freaky hot that she has moved into my top 10 of hot babes. The Dracula musical is great.

Last edited by Noop : 08-24-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #2413
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Pineapple Express 7/10 - Not as good as I expected but it was decent and had some funny moments.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #2414
Groundhog
Coordinator

Run Lola Run - 7.5/10

Strangely enough, happened to catch this last night. I actually thought I'd seen this movie before, but I must have been thinking of another movie with the same chick. It's a neat idea, shot very well (great cinematography - and I don't usually notice that kind of stuff), and good fun. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but solid.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #2415
Dutch
"Dutch"

Tropic Thunder - 9/10 - A hilariously good time. Not so much for the constant antics, but by the look of bewilderment on people's faces after every weird thing happened. Just brilliantly simple comedy.

21 - 5/10 - Not a bad movie, interesting to watch, but nothing spectacular about it...nothing really leaps out at you (if you know what I mean having watched it.)

What Happens in Vegas - 6/10 - As far as romantic comedies go, this one isn't bad, a couple of laugh out loud moments, I enjoyed it.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #2416
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't get it. I must be the only person in the world who didn't find either Tropic Thunder or Pineapple Express funny. Maybe I'm getting old.

TT had its moments, like when the best grip punched the director at Tom Cruise's direction. It held it all together better than PE. But I barely laughed at all in this. And I normally laugh at all of these guys. I might give it a 7. Might.

PE probably doesn't even deserve a 5. And I love Apatow's other stuff. This was just forgettable and stupid. Maybe I needed to get high.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #2417
MikeVic
Head Coach

Election - 8/10
Peoples' lives getting messed up surrounding a high school student election. There seemed to be quite a bit of stuff going on here, and it kept me entertained throughout. Not sure what else I can say about it, other than I found it to be a good and funny movie overall.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #2418
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Election - 8/10
Peoples' lives getting messed up surrounding a high school student election. There seemed to be quite a bit of stuff going on here, and it kept me entertained throughout. Not sure what else I can say about it, other than I found it to be a good and funny movie overall.

I really liked Election. Been a long time since I saw it though, so not sure what grade I'd give it. 8 is probably about right.

The marketing of it when it was released over here originally was completely misleading. It was made to look like a teen comedy or something in the American Pie vein and my girlfriend at the time dragged me along to see it much to my dismay, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #2419
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't get it. I must be the only person in the world who didn't find either Tropic Thunder or Pineapple Express funny. Maybe I'm getting old.

TT had its moments, like when the best grip punched the director at Tom Cruise's direction. It held it all together better than PE. But I barely laughed at all in this. And I normally laugh at all of these guys. I might give it a 7. Might.

PE probably doesn't even deserve a 5. And I love Apatow's other stuff. This was just forgettable and stupid. Maybe I needed to get high.

I'm with you on Tropic Thunder -- thought it was tolerable, but wouldn't have chosen to see it in the theatre. I thought Downey/Black/Cruise/McConnaughy (sp?) were pretty good, but in my opinion, Ben Stiller's solo scenes ruined the movie. I generally love Stiller, but I just thought he featured himself far too much.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #2420
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Tropic Thunder nailed making fun of people who play roles as retards to just win awards. Couldn't of been done any more better.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #2421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
Tropic Thunder nailed making fun of people who play roles as retards to just win awards. Couldn't of been done any more better.

As a sharp-edged insider commentary, I agree. As any scene that drew anything beyond modest humor from me, though, not so much.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #2422
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As a sharp-edged insider commentary, I agree. As any scene that drew anything beyond modest humor from me, though, not so much.

I liked it, but surprised so many liked it as much as they do. If I put this up to harold and kumar go to white castle than it doesn't compare.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #2423
korme
Go Reds

Trailer Park Boys (2006) - Canadian movie. It was pretty fucking funny, and outrageous. 6.5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #2424
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Transporter 2. Jason is the man and the action was decent. CG was from Sucksville and the story was from Yawnstown (or was it the other way around?).

Glad I didn't see this in the theater.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #2425
Groundhog
Coordinator

Going to see Tropic Thunder tonight. Can't wait.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #2426
Lorena
Unregistered

The Wire, Season Five - 9.5/10

Just wow, this show is just so unbelievably amazing. I didn't think this season was as good as season 4, but it was still pretty damn awesome. A lot of characters from previous seasons made appearances which I thought was pretty cool. I rooted for some bad guys and my heart sank when one of the characters turned to drugs. I didn't think it was possible to dislike McNulty, but there was a point this season where he really pissed me off.

I've never seen a series like this... lots of laughs, so many gut wrenching moments, lots of wtf moments, and fantastic well developed characters.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-26-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #2427
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Going to see Tropic Thunder tonight. Can't wait.

Tropic Thunder - 7.5/10

Some absolute LOL moments, but some stuff fell flat for me (like 90% of Jack Black's moments), and it had large stretches where nothing very funny or interesting happened, like around 30 mins or so near the beginning. Still, more than enough laughs to carry me through, but I think you guys got me expecting a little too much.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #2428
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Tropic Thunder - 7.5/10

Some absolute LOL moments, but some stuff fell flat for me (like 90% of Jack Black's moments), and it had large stretches where nothing very funny or interesting happened, like around 30 mins or so near the beginning. Still, more than enough laughs to carry me through, but I think you guys got me expecting a little too much.

I definitely think Jack Black was wasted in the movie. Probably the only major problem I had with it.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #2429
samifan24
Pro Starter

Crank - 4/10

I only saw this because I like Jason Statham and thoroughly enjoyed "The Bank Job." This movie is straight cheese, B movie stuff all the way. It's actually very quirky, too. It felt like I was watching someone play GTA4 and laughing about it all the while.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #2430
korme
Go Reds

Psycho (1960) - I've got Psycho, Rear Window, and Vertigo all DVR'd for the past 6 months. Finally watched Psycho... very suspenseful. Surprised the guy that played Norman Bates didn't get an Oscar nomination, he was very good. Classic shower scene, of course, it's funny because in this day and age that would have qualified as B-movie material.. Considering it's nearly 50 years old now, 8/10
Old 08-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #2431
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Death Race: Post-Apocalyptic action. Jason Statham was awesome and the races were pretty fun. Definitely not a great movie but I don't regret seeing it at all and I had a good time.

7/10
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #2432
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Psycho (1960) - I've got Psycho, Rear Window, and Vertigo all DVR'd for the past 6 months. Finally watched Psycho... very suspenseful. Surprised the guy that played Norman Bates didn't get an Oscar nomination, he was very good. Classic shower scene, of course, it's funny because in this day and age that would have qualified as B-movie material.. Considering it's nearly 50 years old now, 8/10

Rear Window is great....definitely check it out. It's Hitchcock at his best, and it's got Jimmy Stewart and his highly imitable voice
Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #2433
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Rear Window and Vertigo are great, but my favorite Hitchcock is still North By Northwest. I'd give all of them 10/10, though.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #2434
korme
Go Reds

Talk to Her (2002) - Pedro Almodovar was nominated for two and won best writing/screenplay at the '03 Oscars for this movie. It's a movie about two men who fall in love with two women who have fallen into comas, and their bond. The last 20 minutes or so are incredibly moving, and really won the film for me. It's a spanish film, but the subtitles didn't bother me a bit. 8/10
Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #2435
Lorena
Unregistered

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 8.5/10

I was expecting Jack Nicholson's character to actually be crazy, but he wasn't.. he was more of a rebel that was put in an institution to be evaluated. Great acting by Nicholson and the head nurse. Danny Devito was in it (I hardly recognized him with hair), as was Christopher Lloyd.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #2436
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There is really nothing finer than Grace Kelly in "Rear Window" or really in anything for that matter.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #2437
Lorena
Unregistered

Enchanted - 9.5/10

A Disney movie making fun of classic disney movies, hah. I really, really enjoyed this movie.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #2438
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Batalia En El Cielo - 8/10

This movie showed me two things. One, my Spanish comprehension has gone down the drain, and two, there are some awesome movies coming from unheralded directors. If you can get past the movie being in Spanish, and the non-American use of nudity, this is a great piece of film-making.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #2439
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

This movie showed me two things. One, my Spanish comprehension has gone down the drain, and two, there are some awesome movies coming from unheralded directors. If you can get past the movie being in Spanish, and the non-American use of nudity, this is a great piece of film-making.

Cool, I'm always looking for some good spanish movies... in my queue, thanks cartman.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #2440
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Cool, I'm always looking for some good spanish movies... in my queue, thanks cartman.

Just wait until the kids are asleep to watch it. The opening scene is a doozy.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #2441
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
...the non-American use of nudity...

I love this phrase! What does it mean exactly?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #2442
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Non-American use of nudity?

I'm in!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #2443
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post

Dude, watch Talk To Her

Last edited by korme : 08-29-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #2444
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Dude, watch Talk To Her

On my list, thanks korme.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #2445
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I Think I Love My Wife-9/10

Hilarious movie. Chris Rock just speaks my language, and Kerry Washington is beyond beautiful. Americanized version of French film Chloe in the Afternoon, about a guy who tries to resist the temptation to cheat on his wife.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #2446
molson
General Manager

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - 8.5/10

I know Woody Allen isn't on a lot of people's radars anymore but this was a very funny movie. Scarlett Johansson in easy on the eyes.

Last edited by molson : 09-01-2008 at 02:10 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #2447
Lorena
Unregistered

Casablanca - 8/10

Memorable lines, and Bogart was fantastic. I'm not entirely sure I'd put it top 10 of all-time. I'll probably have to watch the commentary to see what the big fuss is about.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - 8/10

Awesome wide-angle cinematography. At first I thought this movie was filmed in New Mexico, but it was actually filmed in some deserts in Spain. Pretty solid flick, but some parts sorta dragged for me, but it was still pretty good.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #2448
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Traitor-- 7.5/10

I am tempted to give it an 8, not because it was all that great, but it took clicheed material and simply did it good. As in, don't expect to be surprised by anything, and if you're not a fan of the espionage/drama world type of story, avoid this. But if you like this sorta stuff (read Clancy books and the like), it's a movie made for you.

Cheadle was very good, as usual, but I thought he was matched by his friend in the terrorist organization, Omar, who's character was a nice contrast to the traditional "crazy Arab terrorist" you usually see (actually this whole movie did a much better job of not emphasizing crazy terrorist but instead showing the "regular people on the other side from you" sorta perspective).

Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #2449
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Although I admit it feels odd to almost give Traitor an 8 just one post after two of film's all time great entertainers get 8's from Lorena.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #2450
samifan24
Pro Starter

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - 7/10

A light, breezy romantic comedy starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams set against the background of 1940s London. I adore Adams and would watch her in anything; in fact, she's the reason why I even watched this film. Adams is her typical "happy go lucky" character and works well with McDormand's character, sort of a female "Chance" from "Being There." The film is short at an hour and a half and it felt as though I were almost watching a play. I also enjoyed Lee Pace, of "Pushing Daisies" fame, as one of three potential suitors for Ms. Adams' character. A chick flick worth watching for Ms. Adams.