Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #101
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
I know that personally would love to see you give some time to Bowl Bound, still head back to it from time to time.

Same here.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #102
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
It's possible that Jim doesn't want what happened to Shaun at PureSim to happen to him and is reluctant to partner with someone.

I always wondered what happened. I like the interface and simplicity of PureSim compared to OOTP, though starting at the present and going forward was broken from the financial side.

What is the incident you are referring to?
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #103
weegeebored
High School Varsity

IIRC, Shaun had a fan that was making mods for him. He was a fairly popular modder. They were going to partner up for some reason. Anyway, the modder stole Shaun's code and repackaged it as his own baseball sim. Once the code was out, Shaun decided to quit developing and make PureSim4 free. That's what I remember. I am sure I left some details out because this happened years ago.

Last edited by weegeebored : 06-15-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: better grammar
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #104
dave1927p
n00b

Not many companies out there that are financially able to step up for this especially at these times of uncertainty I expect.

Kickstarter might make some sense now to get the word out on the game at the very least but i doubt there will be enough backers to make it work -still it helps spread the word and nothing to lose at this point.

Another scenario is Jim partnering with a person who has a proven skillset in GUI posting on indeed or monster. Since he wouldn't be able to provide a salary would have to provide % of sales or % of his company which is quite risky.

There's always the typical options like SI he can go through although i doubt they'd be interested at this time. I wonder what a company like Paradox Interactive would say...they've been really broadening their reach the last little while in genres and have opened up new studios. They are a niche game studio and from what I can see a handful of stat based sport sim users also enjoy their games.

I hope Jim explores all the options while he can and I wish him luck. There's such a good foundation which is lost on many because of a windows 95 UI.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #105
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
IIRC, Shaun had a fan that was making mods for him. He was a fairly popular modder. They were going to partner up for some reason. Anyway, the modder stole Shaun's code and repackaged it as his own baseball sim. Once the code was out, Shaun decided to quit developing and make PureSim4 free. That's what I remember. I am sure I left some details out because this happened years ago.
You're referring to the issues Shaun had with Joe Stallings?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #106
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You're referring to the issues Shaun had with Joe Stallings?

I believe he's talking about he modder (Crash IIRC) that took over development of puresim and then broke off to make his own game (Strategy Baseball) with Shaun's code.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-15-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #107
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I believe he's talking about he modder (Cash IIRC) that took over development of puresim and then broke off to make his own game (Strategy Baseball) with Shaun's code.
Ah, I'd missed that episode. That sucks.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #108
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Since you guys mentioned Shaun.....

Shaun Sullivan to expand role with Wolverine Studios - Wolverine Studios
Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #109
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I believe he's talking about he modder (Crash IIRC) that took over development of puresim and then broke off to make his own game (Strategy Baseball) with Shaun's code.
I don't know anything about Joe Stallings, but it might have been Crash Davis yes. I really don't remember, but it was definitely someone who did a lot things for PureSim as a modder. Stealing the code was a cold move for sure.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #110
redfox000
Mascot

Thumbs down

Quote:
I don't know anything about Joe Stallings, but it might have been Crash Davis yes. I really don't remember, but it was definitely someone who did a lot things for PureSim as a modder. Stealing the code was a cold move for sure.

And from his website it looks like he is still updating that game. That is a cold move for sure.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post

That's great to hear! Shaun had some of the best FPS Football utilities and I remember an E.A. Gelat as well?

What a goof that Crash is... wouldn't there be some legal routes Shaun could pursue?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #112
redfox000
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That's great to hear! Shaun had some of the best FPS Football utilities and I remember an E.A. Gelat as well?
Wow what a blast from the past. I remember after every week of FBPro I played I ran a batch script that ran about 10 different utilities from both of them.

Fun times!
Old 06-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #113
Jukeman
Mascot

DDS Pro Football x FOF would be a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #114
redfox000
Mascot

FBPro + FOF would be the best game ever.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #115
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post

What is Alchemium Unlimited?
Old 06-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #116
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
What is Alchemium Unlimited?

It is the awesome platform Shaun has developed and we have put into use with our 2020 basketball games and will be used in our upcoming football games as well. It puts a super clean and modern interface on our games. Shaun is extremely talented and we're very lucky to have him working with us
Old 06-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #117
james17
n00b

Just looked at your 2020 basketball game...slick interface. I'll be glad when it comes to your football game.

Any links to what new features may be coming?
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
Wow what a blast from the past. I remember after every week of FBPro I played I ran a batch script that ran about 10 different utilities from both of them.

Fun times!

Me too!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #119
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Haven't posted on here in years and due to my dwindling free time over the last decade I don't play FOF (or any text sims) like I used to. I bought the most recent FOF & didn't even finish a season but I wanted to support Jim.

I've been following the merger & story in passing because I too was excited to see how things would work out. I'm sad at the end result of this & I hope Jim finds professional happiness however it may come.

Selfishly I hope it is TCY 2 If Jim makes any game I can buy or kickstart then I will definitely buy it even if I don't plan on playing it as much as I used to.

Someday my life will return to a point where I'll have more free time & I want FOF to be there.

All the best to Jim in his career path & hello to all you guys whose names I recognize from 20 years ago.

Feels like I should "dola" for old times sake!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #120
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Interpret this as you will, but the cancellation of this project reminded me of this scene from Moneyball, "Adapt or Die."

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #121
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The Solecismic "About" page has been updated with the following:

At present, there are no projects in the pipeline. But lots of new code from the FOF9 endeavor, and I'm evaluating whether that can become a new release in 2021.

http://www.solecismic.com/solecismic.php

Felt like this got lost in the shuffle here. But standard form, run a no-notice substantive update on the bottom end of a tired subpage of the circa-2004 website... yup.

Anyway... reaffirms the no short term expectations takeaway.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #122
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The Solecismic "About" page has been updated with the following:

http://www.solecismic.com/solecismic.php

He has a whole fan board to a game he created... why doesn't he just do a developer's blog here and build support for his next game. Similar to what the TEW2020 guy does...
Old 06-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #123
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
He has a whole fan board to a game he created... why doesn't he just do a developer's blog here and build support for his next game. Similar to what the TEW2020 guy does...

Jim's gonna be Jim. I think that he really likes having control over his projects--both the content and the timing.

And when you heavily engage your customers in back-and-forth community, those customers (rightly or wrongly) start to set expectations (realistic or unrealistic) on what they expect from you and gain some sense of ownership (earned or unearned) of your product.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #124
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Jim's gonna be Jim. I think that he really likes having control over his projects--both the content and the timing.

And when you heavily engage your customers in back-and-forth community, those customers (rightly or wrongly) start to set expectations (realistic or unrealistic) on what they expect from you and gain some sense of ownership (earned or unearned) of your product.

Stated another way.
Jim is an artist.
A scientific and data artist to be certain. But an artist none the less.
He doesnt do well in structure and compromise.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #125
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey, even JRR Martin says we'll get "Winds" () next year, so there's that!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #126
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Stated another way.
Jim is an artist.
A scientific and data artist to be certain. But an artist none the less.
He doesnt do well in structure and compromise.

I think that's a productive way to think about it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #127
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know. As a working theatre artist, I'm plenty good at structure and compromise. Try directing a team of actors, designers, and crew all while on the tightest of deadlines.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #128
Mike7273
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
FBPro + FOF would be the best game ever.

True statement! I miss that game.
Mike7273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #129
claystone
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I feel for both Markus and Jim. I've met them both and they both are good people. I can relate to how this goes. I made a decision a while back to get a day job (right after Bowl Bound was released) and that helped in some ways and hurt in others. It allowed me to invest more in the company and build it to a more self-sustaining business. But, it meant more of my limited time was spent on the business and helping our other developers than in making my own game. So, I had to take a break from serious development - and that ended up being a very good decision for the company and the other developers. I would like to get back into my football game - and will probably do that now that TEW 2020 is out (after I upgrade our servers/website). But, this stuff isn't easy and I've had a few opportunities to work with other groups and none have panned out. Most of the time I just haven't been interested in taking on that massive of a project given my other priorities, but a few times that decision was made for me (which ended up being a good thing in hindsight).

I think Jim and Markus/OOTPD would have made a very good football game, but I also think that both will continue to be successful separate from each other. Trying to join smaller companies/people on the same project in this industry is a bit like threading a needle. I've been successful once, but also failed 2-3 other times. Everything from timing, priorities, money and vision all has to match up and if any are off - it can topple like a house of cards. It looks like timing/priorities was the issue here (from Jim's blog) and that is probably the most frustrating as it easily could have worked out in another window. I wish both the best and would gladly join in a kickstarter to help Jim continue to make football games if it came to that.

Arles, & Jim

What would you guys need fund wise to get a football sim to completion?
PM me when free to answer my question.
claystone is offline   Reply With Quote