Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Madden 20....oh, no. Here we go again.

I can't believe there is no new thread, but then again as bad as this franchise as gotten it shouldn't be a surprise. I am downloading it now because I have Origin Access, but probably won't be able to play much today. I do want to know if anybody is excited about this years version, and what people think of the game. Let the bitching and moaning begin!

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying out the PC version. Two issues os far (mostly from Face of the Franchise)

Defensive Line power seems way over the top. too many DL sacks

had one glitch where I scored a game winning touchdown, but the game went into quick sim (and wouldn't end the game, despite no more plays to be run). Had to replay that game
Old 07-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'm trying out the PC version. Two issues os far (mostly from Face of the Franchise)

Defensive Line power seems way over the top. too many DL sacks

had one glitch where I scored a game winning touchdown, but the game went into quick sim (and wouldn't end the game, despite no more plays to be run). Had to replay that game

Ew. Of course, we are basically beta-testing since it hasn't released yet. They usually patch release day, so things might change. Plus, it always takes awhile to get sliders right.

I have only tried Face of the Franchise as well. I like this story line mode better than the old ones, mainly because you can create the character instead of being stuck playing their creation. Haven't even played out the first game, but the story is the same old sports story so far. I do like the feel of role-play, so we'll see how it goes.

Game play wise, what I noticed is when allowing to the computer make the throws in All Pro default sliders I had a lot of incompletes. I still hate the way this game does incompletes because they generally miss by a mile instead of the near misses that most actual missed passes are. Still, at least he wasn't robo-qb. Also noticed the same problem with screens the game has always had, that they end up a sack way too often.

Anyway, graphics look great as always. We will see how franchise mode goes, especially with the now big ratings gaps they have between players now.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I actually nearly got it playing decently well last year, but it would have taken way too much work to keep going in franchise mode.

There was a thread on the OS slider board where someone reworked the traits. He eliminated a few like High Motor, limited some to certain positions, left only a few players with Big Hitter, etc. That with some slider changes worked well.

But in order to keep it going in franchise mode, I would have had to go through all of the players and make edits to keep the traits right. And editing in Madden is a very slow process. The trait changes helped a lot, but it still wasn't quite right and wasn't worth the effort to keep a franchise going..
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

So everyone make sure you are sitting comfortably - but a preseason and 2 regular season games in I'm actually a huge fan of this so far.

Are there balance things that need to be put in place? Sure. A couple of notable ones so far, if you get a young superstar the development curve seems to be way too steep and it's basically going to take house rules to not have him end up at 99 overall (already have Jamal Adams to 92 just with a training focus and the games, and he's leveling up faster than most of my 70 rated guys are), and there are definitely some in game things they haven't fixed in the last 20 year still (opposition RBs are still stoopid even with run blocking jacked way up and it's still way too easy to get sacks from outside rushers).

Overall though? Hell of a fun game that may well keep my interest far longer than any other sports game outside of NBA2K. The ratings gaps and rethinking of some of the mechanics seem to work really well. Inaccurate QBs are inaccurate (Josh Allen went less than 50% against me with "only" two picks), accurate QBs are hell to play against and good luck throwing that 69 rated tackle out there because he's going to be an absolute turnstile.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - definitely bugs around QBs taking sacks right now driving up some of the sack numbers. Beat the Browns only because Mayfield had a couple of 30+ yard sacks driving them out of FG range and then ran straight out of the end zone under 2 minutes for a safety when a drive into FG range would have won the game.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I loved Madden 19, played 7 full seasons with the Cardinals, playing every game. Went to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. Pretty much played on AP/defaults.

Can't wait to play some Madden 20 when it gets here tomorrow. This time I've decided to go with the Buffalo Bills.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Played two exhibition games so far and I'm really enjoying the game play. Everything is buttery smooth, running feels great and passing has taken a step forward with better trajectories and no more super LB's jumping up to intercept the ball.

The x-factors are actually a great addition and not overpowered. You can really tell who the super star players are and have to account for them each play, especially when their x-factor is active.

Took me a game to get used to not seeing my players walk up to the LOS, but it makes the game flow so much faster.

Itching to start my CFM once the opening day rosters are out and the first title update is released in September.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

The x-factors are actually a great addition and not overpowered. You can really tell who the super star players are and have to account for them each play, especially when their x-factor is active.

Full disclosure, although I haven't really seen it in my games so far there's a lot of examples out there of defensive linemen with pass rush x-factors getting double digit sacks per game, so it may not be as perfectly balanced as this, but hopefully they will come out with a fix.

Still enjoying this but some of the rough edges are beginning to grate on me a bit (am I at stage 2 in the "Madden Kubler Ross theory" yet?) so following the gameplay mod on discord and may not start a new franchise until it's released.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Full disclosure, although I haven't really seen it in my games so far there's a lot of examples out there of defensive linemen with pass rush x-factors getting double digit sacks per game, so it may not be as perfectly balanced as this, but hopefully they will come out with a fix.

Most of the complaints I've read about this is by cheese players who are mad they can no longer sit in the pocket forever waiting on an open WR. When a DL's x-factor trait is activated you have to adjust by throwing short passes or running plays to the opposite side.

A guy like Kahlil Mack or Aaron Donald should be a player you fear, making you adjust or plan to get sacked. The x-factors to me so far, finally make me aware of where they are at on the field and I have to game plan around them. I don't have near enough games to tell if any of them are OP yet, but so far I'm really enjoying that layer of the game.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I like the X factors. I played against Houston, and Watt & Clowney each had a few plays where they just tossed aside their blocker and blew the play up. It didn’t happen too much, but it felt realistic. That’s what Watt and Clowney do in real life.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-08-2019 at 08:09 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola

I'm sure a cheeser can figure out a way to exploit that, but I hope they don't nerf it because it makes my single player games feel more fun.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
TexasT
Mascot

Mizzou do you control your players or do coach only?
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
Mizzou do you control your players or do coach only?

I play all my games, except for preseason, I only play those in my first season to get to know whomever I decided to go with. (this year it's the Bills)

I don't change plays at the LOS or switch players on defense. I just typically go with one of the coach suggested plays.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola

I'm sure a cheeser can figure out a way to exploit that, but I hope they don't nerf it because it makes my single player games feel more fun.

I'm completely with you. With M19 players like Aaron Donald were hardly ever a factor, now I have to switch things up if he's in the zone.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Is the fast sim mode where you jump in automatically during key moments still a thing?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
dolfin
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Is the fast sim mode where you jump in automatically during key moments still a thing?

Yes this is still in Franchise mode. You get the option to play the key moment
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #18
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

So did Madden 20 turn out any good? Judging by the length of the thread maybe not? I saw that it's pretty heavily discounted, I haven't played Madden since 17 I think, is it worth picking up or is it not really much fun? I'm more interested in playing Franchise games than any of the single player career modes FWIW.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
So did Madden 20 turn out any good? Judging by the length of the thread maybe not? I saw that it's pretty heavily discounted, I haven't played Madden since 17 I think, is it worth picking up or is it not really much fun? I'm more interested in playing Franchise games than any of the single player career modes FWIW.

I'm really liking it.

I think that the superstar player thing is implemented really well. Makes teams feel very different from each other. It gives the game a lot of replayability, IMO.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I played the heck out of it, mainly play the moments so I was in season 8 when I went on to something else.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I'm a PC gamer and until last year I didn't play since Madden '08. A friend had M19 and I played a little bit and enjoyed it. I suck at these kind of games, but Madden has always held my interest. The price of 19 went down last year to $15 but I didn't pull the trigger. I think M20 is 20 bucks now and I picked it up a month ago for $24. EA is still updating it; there was a new update today. You have to use sliders that suit your playing style; I use JoshC1977 sliders and they work for me, but I know that I play differently than most.

The updates always seem to mess with gameplay but I have only played one game with the new one so I can't comment on whether or not I have to start my franchise over. The previous update (1.29) did seem to change some things like injuries and pass coverage, but this is just my opinion. I'm having fun so it was a worthwhile purchase for me, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #22
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Bah, I decided to pull the trigger last night and bought Madden 20 for $20. I have too many games already but I reasoned I haven't played a sports game in a while so why not?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm sure you'll get $20 out of it. It's definitely fun for a while, and more fun for more whiles than Madden has been in a long time.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
Galaril
Pro Starter

Any word if they will still release a Madden 21 this fall or is it canceled/delayed due to the virus?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #25
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm sure you'll get $20 out of it. It's definitely fun for a while, and more fun for more whiles than Madden has been in a long time.

I don't think I've played Madden for 5 years or more.

Is Luck still on the Colts in this game?
Old 04-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Any word if they will still release a Madden 21 this fall or is it canceled/delayed due to the virus?
I would think that it's too much of a cash cow not to release it with some improvements and a new roster file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is Luck still on the Colts in this game?
If you use the default EA roster, yes.

Last edited by weegeebored : 04-17-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dang, was about to pull the trigger, but it's $46 on Amazon (for PS4).

Last edited by Kodos : 04-17-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #28
Comey
College Starter

I'm kind of curious as to whether it would run on my laptop (Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, with the 10th gen Intel processor). It may, but I'm not sure I want to spend either $19 or $35 (which is what I'd spend for the ultimate package) to find out. I could do a test, but the test said I couldn't run Football Manager, and I was able to run that flawlessly.

Last edited by Comey : 04-17-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #29
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I'm kind of curious as to whether it would run on my laptop (Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, with the 10th gen Intel processor). It may, but I'm not sure I want to spend either $19 or $35 (which is what I'd spend for the ultimate package) to find out. I could do a test, but the test said I couldn't run Football Manager, and I was able to run that flawlessly.

FYI:

I bought the ultimate package for PC from Origin, installed, played it for awhile, then decided to return it the next morning and get the basic Origin access plan. No issues returning it. I got the refund back on my card in 3 days.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #30
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
FYI:

I bought the ultimate package for PC from Origin, installed, played it for awhile, then decided to return it the next morning and get the basic Origin access plan. No issues returning it. I got the refund back on my card in 3 days.

Awesome. Thank you for sharing that.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #31
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Dang, was about to pull the trigger, but it's $46 on Amazon (for PS4).
$24 at the Playstation store until 4/29.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Excited to start a new Madden franchise with the Lions and this Operation Sports poster puts out an awesome set of rosters. I've used his draft classes and they are excellent.

He has been updating a roster with all the FA moves as well as the draft picks.

Gamertag: xAPATHYx13
Roster File Name: UPDATED20
Console: Xbox One
Old 04-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

I’ve played a couple games so far. Liking it, though I fumble and throw interceptions a lot.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #34
bhlloy
Coordinator

QB's fumbling is probably the one bug/issue I've run across so far that isn't somewhat fixable, I've seen rushing QBs like Jackson and Murray fumble 5 or 6 times in a half. Just got to live with it and move on - even the realism project on PC doesn't have seem to have been able to fix it.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #35
Kodos
Resident Alien

Everyone has been fumbling for me. I do like the game, which is a first for Madden in easily over a decade.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-26-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #36
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeLincorn View Post
Do not buy Madden 20! I’ve been in love with football since I can remember and loved the game of Madden with a passion. But for years EA has done nothing to improve but put garbage out there for customers to buy. EA use to take pride in their work. There wasn’t any lags, glitches, losing connections online and etc. I hope this new 2K Football game will be great compared to Madden.
Want a challenging and fun first person shooting game to play on your computer? Try Garena Free Fire. I've been playing for months now but it's so hard to master.

Damn,

I bought Madden and I've been having quite some fun with it.

But Abelincorn has shown me the errors of my ways. I now bow to the altar of AbeLincorn. Please show me how to live.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-15-2020 at 08:52 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #37
cuervo72
Head Coach

Man, don't quote the spam links!
Old 05-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #38
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Man, don't quote the spam links!

AbeLincorn says I should. AbeLincorn is peace. AbeLincorn is good. cuervo72 is impure. cuervo72 must be eliminated. Only then can there be balance.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #39
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Everyone has been fumbling for me. I do like the game, which is a first for Madden in easily over a decade.

I've had the exact opposite in my case. I've played many games and I've had maybe 3 fumbles.

I do think a good defensive lineman is very OP. Myles Garrett practically walks through my offensive line like no one is there.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #40
QuikSand
lolzcat

Through a combination of lockdown, insomnia, and a 7yo son... I find myself playing console Madden for the first time. It's only M 19, we're fiddling through their Ultimate Team (seemingly mostly abandoned) and vaguely enjoying it. Enough so that I'll likely buy M 21 when it comes out, and probably the monthly subscription etc that comes with it. Trying to avoid becoming an addict (tough) but it's appealing enough to put down my $80 or whatever.

Anything I should be doing, at this point? I'm playing lots of beginner challenges, as the buttons are not intuitive to me yet... I have lots of times when I want to throw to the yellow Y guy and I have to look down to remind myself where that is... not to mention the "RB" button and so forth. I guess that will come.

Anyway...veteran tips to help a news would be welcome. Boy is very excited for SuperLamar.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

I spent $100 on NCAA 14 on Ebay. That's been my new game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #42
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I spent $100 on NCAA 14 on Ebay. That's been my new game.

I tend to think that is the best video football game ever made. Still having fun with it 7 years later.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I tend to think that is the best video football game ever made. Still having fun with it 7 years later.

I kept my Xbox just to be able to pay this game still, it's all I have on that platform
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

I still have all my 360 games, but NCAA 14 is the only one that gets played. Once in a while, my son and I will play one of the Left 4 Dead games.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have a ton of playing time with Madden 19 and 20. So much I even pre ordered 21.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #46
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Picked up Madden '20 for my son for his birthday since it was on sale. He's been all about FIFA so it's not surprising he's been focusing on Ultimate Team stuff.

For me, my main interest would be a team management sim, but I've read online that the franchise mode is...not good. Anybody here have any comments about it?

Assuming the kiddo enjoys Madden we'll probably pick up Madden '21 for my birthday in September, so I'm hoping the franchise mode has gotten some love in this iteration.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Franchise mode to me, has just the right amount of stuff where I don't have to spend much time on it between games and a minimal amount of time at the end of the season with FA, draft, etc. You get chances to sign would be FA during the season week to week and bid on FA at the end of the season.

It's not FOF and some people want an insane amount of franchise depth, to each his own I guess, I just want to play games and progress my players.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #48
weegeebored
High School Varsity

As MizzouRah pointed out, Madden is definitely not FOF. The AI is meh and there isn't much depth. But no one really considers Madden a sim. It's still fun to play. As I am a computer gamer, it was nice that EA brought the franchise back to the PC. Read JoshC's slider thread right here on OS. Those are the sliders I use but he has ideas about franchise mode which include simming the first 15 years and then taking over a team. I am not good at Madden so I am happy with just the sliders. They work for me so I don't need to do the 15 year simulation to enjoy the game. Another thread has some house rules so that you don't cheese the AI on trades or during gameplay, but unfortunately I don't remember which one.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #49
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Boy is very excited for SuperLamar.

I have Madden 20, and playing with Lamar is fun.

There was some version of Madden from the early 90s where you could cheese the Falcon's depth chart and get Deion slotted at running back. And then he was so much faster than anyone else that you could just run around everyone like Tecmo Bo.

Playing with Lamar is pretty much like that, except he's also really good at throwing.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-26-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There are some great updated rosters too that let you start with the current draft players on their teams.