Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #401
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Do I watch more Packers games than you or that writer? He looks for big plays but checks down often because there is nothing there. I see very little wrong with Rodgers other than not having any dependable weapons other than Adams. Him and Jordy had great chemistry with the back shoulder throws. This group of free agent rookies and late draft choices and aging TEs isnt helping him be productive. He is still accurate, he is still smart, he may have lost some mobility but thats about it. His weapons need to get open. He doesnt trust them to make plays and risk making them throws he did with Jordy.

According to Pro Football Focus
2019 83.6
2018 89.1
2017 79.2(injured most of the year)
2016 91.4
2015 73.3
2014 93,4
2013 85.8(injured)
2012 89.7
2011 93.0
2010 91.7
2009 86.7
2008 79.1

He is slipping very slowly from what I am seeing. Brady had a couple years where he looked done as well followed by a year where you remembered why he is Tom Brady. As long as you are smart and accurate these aging QBs will still be very productive.

I wish he was done beating on the Vikings secondary. But, nah... Im not a buyer.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-24-2020 at 04:14 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #402
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm honestly torn on Aaron. I think he's still very good, but he just doesn't seem to trust players until he plays with them for 2-3 years and never wants to take any kind of risk on his INT numbers. They would do film recaps on some of the GB sites and he would look away from an open MVS, Kumerow and Lazard for a double covered Graham or Adams and kill drives. I can easily see Gutekunst and LaFleur going "Even if we take a Mims at 24, what are the odds Aaron even throws to him with no offseason and a limited camp?". At that point, it's better to sign a vet like Funchess and wait until the 2nd/3rd (esp if you don't see a difference in the next 6-7 WRs as many sites have it).

My biggest issue has been the backup. Outside of 19, Rodgers has been hurt in the past 3-4 seasons for atleast 1-2 games. As he gets older, I doubt that will get better and the prospects of seeing Tim Boyle or Manny Wilkins out there in 2020-2022 scares me. Even if Love is nothing more than "Rodgers insurance" for 3-4 seasons and gets traded for a future pick, atleast we have a talented player for a cheap salary of $3 mil per for 4 years than can potentially come in and win 2-3 games if he gets hurt. That is worth more to me than a project slot receiver that has a 50-60% bust rate.

We won't know on this for 2-3 seasons, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the team move off Rodgers after 2022 if Love looks the part. As someone said on twitter, "The worst time to look for a quarterback is when you desperately need one." That's when you start reaching for your Brock Osweiller, Paxton Lynch and Christian Ponder types. If they think Love can be special (which I assume they do since they traded up to get him), I think that's a better option than panicking in 2-3 years when Rodgers breaks down to go overpay the next Nick Foles/Matt Flynn.

Last edited by Arles : 04-24-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #403
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Arles have you already started on the bleach injections and Tide Pod dinners? Dear Leader was being sarcastic, ya know?

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 04-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #404
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Derrick Brown over Isaiah Simmons also a bit of a surprise, but that Panthers run defense was hideous last year...

My buddy is a Panthers fan, and I ragged on him for them not picking Simmons. He understood, but he also pointed out that he isn't sure what kind of defense they are going to run.

If you are going to run a play simple and fast style, then Simmons isn't a great fit b/c his biggest asset is his versatility. You are wasting him if you just stick him at LB or safety.

But, man, if the right D-coordinator gets him . . . a guy who can line up pre-snap at DE and then fall back and become a slot corner? How the hell does the QB read that?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #405
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'm an OL junkie...and think I'm pretty decent at eval.

What do you think of Cesar Ruiz for the Saints?

The debate on the board right now is whether he will play guard or whether McCoy will shift to guard. There is some talk of how McCoy apparently had a little trouble with calling out blitzes and the like last season.

Any insights on the Center/Guard difference and how the team should decide which player makes sense at which position.

(This is all on the very likely assumption that Larry Warford is losing his starting G spot).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #406
QuikSand
lolzcat

Good deal of talent out there for day two, per usual, just seems like more so (admittedly I have dug into this year's draft a bout 5x my usual).

For Miami, I think they have flexibility to go BPA, more or less, as a darn close to empty cupboard situation. With three picks tonight, I would be very happy to see them take a WR with 39 (well, Mims, to be exact)... but would also be really pleased with S McKinnie. Since they are setting up as a single-high defense, they have flexibility to go with a center fielder S like Ashtyn Davis or Kyle Dugger, whom they could get later, like at 56. If they're okay doing that, then pick 39 can be a BPA slot, for RB if they insist, but preferably for either WR, C/G, or DL. Hearing LB/Edge Zach Baun for them there, that could make sense, too.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #407
bhlloy
Coordinator

Good to see the remote setup hasn’t stopped espn tipping picks. Oh hey, what a coincidence we had a camera on Tee Higgins and half the analysts mentioned him as a great pick.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #408
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - really happy to see Pittman goes to Indy. That seems to be about as good a place for him to land. Rivers loves floating it up there to those big receivers.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #409
Atocep
Coordinator

It gets old listening to everyone on ESPN gush over every pick made.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #410
bhlloy
Coordinator

That’s so Patriots
Old 04-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #411
Atocep
Coordinator

I like the Hunt pick by the Dolphins. They have a enough picks to double up in key areas.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #412
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I like the Hunt pick by the Dolphins. They have a enough picks to double up in key areas.

Yeah I love that pick. If you are going to develop Tua and keep him healthy you have to develop the linemen with him.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #413
Atocep
Coordinator

Really disappointed in the Kmet pick. I think Trautman is a much better fit for Nagy.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #414
bhlloy
Coordinator

Admitting the Jimmy Graham signing was a mistake already or just trying to give Trubisky as many safety valves as possible? Strange pick for a number of reasons.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #415
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bill is looking better than ever.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #416
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hoping Dobbins slips to the Steelers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #417
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Admitting the Jimmy Graham signing was a mistake already or just trying to give Trubisky as many safety valves as possible? Strange pick for a number of reasons.

TE was still a need unless they wanted to use Holtz or Shaheen. I don't think it was worth using your first pick on with guys like Diggs, Delpit, Josh Jones, Bryce Hall, ect on the board though.

It really seems like Pace and Nagy aren't on the same page. Trautman and Hunter Bryant are both more of the Nagy style TE and would have been available with their other 2nd rounder at the very least.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #418
molson
General Manager

When I went to check who the Patriots picked I couldn't tell if the guy's name was Kyle Dugger or Lenoir Ryhyne. As first I was all, "how did they get two guys with one pick?"

Last edited by molson : 04-24-2020 at 07:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #419
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
TE was still a need unless they wanted to use Holtz or Shaheen. I don't think it was worth using your first pick on with guys like Diggs, Delpit, Josh Jones, Bryce Hall, ect on the board though.

It really seems like Pace and Nagy aren't on the same page. Trautman and Hunter Bryant are both more of the Nagy style TE and would have been available with their other 2nd rounder at the very least.

You shouldn’t have a need at a position like TE when you just gave out a top 10 contract at the position. Definition of a luxury pick with a high second, doubly so with your first pick as you note.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #420
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure why the Steelers went WR unless they’re not planning on paying Juju. Washington and Johnson looked solid last year. Johnson has some big play potential.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #421
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Carson Wentz shots fired
Old 04-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #422
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Carson Wentz shots fired

Nah. Eagles going the Saints route. Makes sense for what they still have with the receivers. Still a surprising pick, but I can get more behind it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #423
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure why the Steelers went WR unless they’re not planning on paying Juju. Washington and Johnson looked solid last year. Johnson has some big play potential.

Plus they added Ebron. Seems like an appropriate pick for their spot in the draft, but they have drafted a lot of WR in early rounds the last few years. Maybe they think they’re in position to take BPA, but I feel like they need front seven, RB, and OL depth.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #424
Swaggs
Coordinator

And now Ravens take Dobbins, so we get to deal with him twice a year for the next five years. Should’ve seen that coming.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #425
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
And now Ravens take Dobbins, so we get to deal with him twice a year for the next five years. Should’ve seen that coming.

Calling it now Dobbins will be unstopable in that offense.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #426
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Like it’s going to be great watching us try to tackle JK Dobbins. We needed beef or a RB or if we were going to get frisky Jalen Hurts was there for the taking. I like our WR crew at the moment. Seems damning that Washington looked decent when he wasn’t playing with Rudolph.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #427
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Calling it now Dobbins will be unstopable in that offense.

And I don’t think he’ll need a ton of carries. Wonder what he’ll look like in fantasy drafts?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #428
bhlloy
Coordinator

Akers over Dobbins is a bold choice for the Rams. Clearly going potential over college production.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #429
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

At this point I basically should just become a Ravens fan cause they’ve out Steelered the Steelers going on a decade it seems.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #430
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Like it’s going to be great watching us try to tackle JK Dobbins. We needed beef or a RB or if we were going to get frisky Jalen Hurts was there for the taking. I like our WR crew at the moment. Seems damning that Washington looked decent when he wasn’t playing with Rudolph.

I just looked it up. We’ve taken WR in 2nd or 3rd rd 7 out of past 8 years. I had forgotten about Dri Archer, Sammie Coates, and Markus Wheaton (who actually seemed half decent). Plus Martavious Bryant was a 4th rounder.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
At this point I basically should just become a Ravens fan cause they’ve out Steelered the Steelers going on a decade it seems.

I have hated the Ravens since the Ray Lewis SB team, but it is hard to not like this group
Old 04-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #432
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Jets came out smelling like roses. Got the tackle they needed and still landed a potential 1st round WR in the later stages of the 2nd round. Well done.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-24-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #433
JPhillips
General Manager

I had no idea Tee Higgins was a Bengals fan. With all he went through growing up, why did he add that suffering on top of things?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #434
tarcone
Coordinator

AJ Epenesa fell along way down the draft. But the Bills got a good one. He needs work, probably should have stayed, but millions of dollars speak loudly.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #435
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know it is draft time but the idea that Laremy Tunsil could go from having a video released of him wearing a gas mask smoking some substance 10 minutes before the start of the draft to being the highest paid linemen in the NFL (for the moment) in about 4 years is quite the turnaround.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #436
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards didn't have a 2nd round pick due to the Hopkins trade, so finally got an OLineman they needed so bad...and he's from the Univ of Houston. So Houston is the gift that just keeps giving.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #437
Arles
Grey Dog Software

A lot of criticism about the Packers taking RB AJ Dillon in the second because they have Aaron Jones. I think you need two different styles of RB and Jones wore down a bit last year (and we had to use more Williams). Plus, not to sound like a broken record, but RB is the one position you don't need a ton of camp time to contribute. I also saw these numbers -

Derrick Henry (out of college):
242 pounds, 4.54 40, 37-inch vertical leap, 7.20 3-cone and benched 225 22 times

AJ Dillon:
247 pounds, 4.53 40, 41-ince vertical leap, 7.19 3-cone and benched 225 23 times.

After what LaFleur did with Henry in Tennessee, maybe he's sees a similar thing with Dillon. I don't think it's a bad pick given how the running game struggled when Jones was hurt/not playing.

Last edited by Arles : 04-24-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #438
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lynn Bowden Jr would be a fun guy to design plays for.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #439
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Goodell is 100% loaded right now
Old 04-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #440
tarcone
Coordinator

Jerry Jones wins the draft with a hot young blonde holding his phone.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #441
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants take a developmental tackle who played right tackle at UConn with a third round pick. Ugh.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #442
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Giants take a developmental tackle who played right tackle at UConn with a third round pick. Ugh.

Sounds like a great prospect if he’s a 4 year starter and a developmental prospect.

Also fab to see the Pats trade in front of the Steelers. Sigh
Old 04-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #443
tarcone
Coordinator

What in the world is ging on with this class of QBs? Are they really that bad?

Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #444
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Ravens are on the clock every 5 picks it feels like.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:52 PM   #445
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am really enjoying Walter Footballs Grade's of the Bears and Packers.

Live 2020 NFL Draft Grades - WalterFootball.com

Quote:
Chicago Bears: Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame - O'BRIEN Grade
Ryan Pace needs help. I don't understand why he thinks he needs to spend so many high resources on tight ends, especially when none of them are close to elite. He paid tons of money to Jimmy Graham this offseason, only to select a tight end in the second round? Why!? And why didn't he pick the tight end some teams had higher on their boards, Adam Trautman? Kmet was not the consensus best player at his position, and Pace could've obtained someone similar in the third round, or perhaps someone slightly worse early on Day 3. This is an "F" grade all the way. Pace needs to go.

Quote:
Green Bay Packers: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State - O'BRIEN Grade
Wow. This is terrible. The people on TV are comparing this to the Aaron Rodgers pick from 2005, but the difference is that Rodgers was considered a No. 1 overall pick prospect who just happened to fall. Jordan Love was never that good. Love is an extremely raw quarterback who has some major decision-making issues. He has high upside, but chances are that he flops. This, of course, means that the Packers aren't helping Rodgers win now, so they might as well trade him. If I were a Packer fan, I'd be very disappointed right now, and I imagine Rodgers is quite upset as well.

Also, why the trade up? Whom were the Packers attempting to jump for Love? This is just a dumb pick.

Quote:
Green Bay Packers: A.J. Dillon, RB, Boston College - O'BRIEN Grade
The Packers must have wanted Jalen Hurts because they reached for a running back with the Oklahoma quarterback off the board. The Packers don't need a running back at all with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams on the roster, so there was absolutely no need to select a fourth-round running back prospect in the second round. If I were Aaron Rodgers, I'd demand a trade at this very moment.

Quote:
Green Bay Packers: Josiah Deguara, TE, Cincinnati - BELICHICK'S DOG Grade
Is Bill Belichick's dog doing the entire Green Bay draft? I don't understand anything the Packers have done thus far. This pick is just awful. There were better tight ends available. I get that the Packers are filling a need, but they're doing so with a prospect some teams thought would be available in the seventh round.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-25-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:00 AM   #446
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Dolphins have had a couple of head scratching picks but overall they are bringing in some serious talent. If they had taken McKinney instead of the Igbinoghene in the 1st and Dantzler instead of Brandon Jones in the 3rd, they would be killing it.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #447
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What in the world is ging on with this class of QBs? Are they really that bad?

What do you mean?

4 in the 1st was projected and normal. There was 1 in the 2nd. Teams that need QBs usually get them early or they wait until day 3. Day 2 is usually a slow QB day as teams that want QBs like to trade up to the first round to get that extra year under contract.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #448
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Cards didn't have a 2nd round pick due to the Hopkins trade, so finally got an OLineman they needed so bad...and he's from the Univ of Houston. So Houston is the gift that just keeps giving.

Wonderful pick for Arizona. I dont really know why he slid 50 picks but I was wanting the Vikings to take him in the 1st round.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #449
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers are going to get killed because they didn't follow the consensus that they needed a WR over anything else. I guess we will see how it plays out - but it's clear Gutekunst and LaFleur want to have a better run game to open more play action. The RB and TE they took do look like a reach from the "experts", but these are the guys that give the Redskins and Bengals a A/B+ rating each year - so who really knows.

With this virus, you just don't know on these rookies. If they don't get mini-camps and an abbreviated training camp, how useful will many of them be (esp WRs)? I can see the logic in going for some NFL-ready positions (RB, DB) and then more projects with upside in the draft with an eye on 2021 for the other spots (esp QB, OL and WR). Wait for everyone to then cut their vets and us FA to fill needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I am really enjoying Walter Footballs Grade's of the Bears and Packers.

Live 2020 NFL Draft Grades - WalterFootball.com
Well, he gave Darnell Savage the "CALAMTIY" F grade last year and he was a very good starter. He gave Jaire Alexander a "B-" and he's our best CB by a mile. He also gave Josh Jackson an "A+", Oren Burks a "B+" and J'Mon Moore a "B+". The first two have been unplayable and Moore was already cut. So, I guess I should be thankful all three picks got an F - they have a chance to be good now!

Last edited by Arles : 04-25-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:05 AM   #450
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I have hated the Ravens since the Ray Lewis SB team, but it is hard to not like this group

No its not, they play in Baltimore, wear purple when they should be in Cleveland wearing brown.

That alone is reason enough to hate that organization until they die in a fire.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote