Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #51
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Hear me out: Jackie Chan has been making hit movies in America and Asia for the past 50 years.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #52
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
DOLA: Being a sports-centric forum, I'm wondering if we tend to over estimate the fame of athletes beyond the sport spectrum. There are definitely athletes that transcend the sports realm, but those are few and far between. Guys like Pelé, Jordan and Ali come to mind.

If we are speaking of who is more famous (ie. whose name is known by more people) rather than present popularity, I have to think that those three are arguably still ahead of the likes of Kobe, LeBron, Ronaldo, Messi, etc.
I think you (and many others) overestimate the fame of those that had their world fame decades ago. I suspect a large majority of people born in the 2000's (which is about 17% of the world population) have no clue at all who those three all-time greats (Ali, Jordan and Pelé) are, quite simply because they're not popping up enough in their facebook timeline.
Sure, Michael Jordan is trending now amongst rich 30+ year-olds because they're watching the Last Dance, but most of those people already heard of him before.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #53
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, i definitely was thinking of Ali at an "in his time" mention and that he might have been more famous then than even Ronaldo today. (Seriously, i know so many older people here that watched his fights at 3 am despite never being big sports fans)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #54
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I think you (and many others) overestimate the fame of those that had their world fame decades ago. I suspect a large majority of people born in the 2000's (which is about 17% of the world population) have no clue at all who those three all-time greats (Ali, Jordan and Pelé) are, quite simply because they're not popping up enough in their facebook timeline.
Sure, Michael Jordan is trending now amongst rich 30+ year-olds because they're watching the Last Dance, but most of those people already heard of him before.

No, I get that and I don't think any of the names I referenced are in contention for the most famous person in the world for the reason you pointed out, but I do believe they would be if talking about most famous athlete. And, this is what I was referencing with over-estimating fame of current athletes outside the sports world.

My argument is specifically referencing cultural impact beyond the sports world. The three I mentioned all had it. When talking Messi/Ronaldo, I'd argue that Beckham was more famous outside the soccer world than either of those two. I'm talking about that cultural transcendence where you are not only known by avid and casual fans of the sport, but also by all of those who do not even follow sports.

So by that matrix, is a 15-year-old who pays no attention to sports more likely to have a knowledge of Athlete A, Athlete B, none or both? What about a 25-year-old? 35-year-old? 45-year-old? 55-year-old? 65-year-old? 75-year-old?

I agree that the 15-year-old is more likely to know the recent athlete, the next few ranges will likely know both and then all of the ranges beyond that are more likely to know the older athletes.

EDIT: And to be fair, perhaps I underestimate the impact of Ronaldo and Messi beyond those that are sports fans, but to me, they just don't seem at the same global level outside of sport as Pelé, Beckham, Diego Maradonna, etc. This despite arguably being as famous or more famous within the sports realm.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 06-30-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #55
tarcone
Coordinator

I think Jordan is more known than you think, maybe only in the USA. I think that is driven by the debate of who is the greatest BB ever to play. The Jordan/LeBron debate still rages across all age groupls. And doesnt Nike still make Air Jordans?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #56
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I think Jordan is more known than you think, maybe only in the USA. I think that is driven by the debate of who is the greatest BB ever to play. The Jordan/LeBron debate still rages across all age groupls. And doesnt Nike still make Air Jordans?

I think when it comes to the most famous athlete in the world, he is definitely still up there. I like to think of it like this: if one were to poll every person on the planet and ask them if they knew who these people were, which person would get the most votes? I'm thinking those names include Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ali, Pelé, Beckham, Maradonna, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Usain Bolt, Mike Tyson and maybe some others.

Having said that, if you compared the winner of that poll to Donald Trump, I think that more people know Trump. I think RainMaker is right and it's probably Trump or Obama, although I'd go with Trump just because he's been around so long and was quite famous even before the Presidency.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 06-30-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #57
tarcone
Coordinator

Yes, that does make sense.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #59
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Allah is not a person.

No one on that list is.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #60
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I would think Ronaldo. Messi maybe but Ronaldo has a wider appeal outside of the soccer market.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #61
JPhillips
General Manager

I think a good guess will always be the U.S. President and the most famous soccer player.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #62
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
No one on that list is.

Really?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #63
chesapeake
College Starter

More than half the world's population lives in a circle you can draw around the populated parts to China, India and Indonesia. That's about 4 billion people. Whoever has the highest Q rating in that area is probably your answer. My guess is Xi Jinping because China is the largest player in the region, has global influence, and he's been in office for almost a decade. Because the U.S. is still the world's most dominant economic and military power, it could be Trump, too.

Last edited by chesapeake : 07-01-2020 at 09:41 AM.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #64
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, I get that and I don't think any of the names I referenced are in contention for the most famous person in the world for the reason you pointed out, but I do believe they would be if talking about most famous athlete. And, this is what I was referencing with over-estimating fame of current athletes outside the sports world.

But I disagree with this simply because there are many people who couldn't care less about politics but are heavily invested in sports. I mean you see young kids in poor areas of South American or Africa or Asia talking about wanting to be Messi or Ronaldo. I'm sure a lot of their parents also know of their sports heroes.

Quote:
When talking Messi/Ronaldo, I'd argue that Beckham was more famous outside the soccer world than either of those two. I'm talking about that cultural transcendence where you are not only known by avid and casual fans of the sport, but also by all of those who do not even follow sports.

… In the US.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #65
whomario
Pro Starter

@Edward: Buddha is a title but indeed used synonymous with the founder of the religion (Siddharta Gautama) with a decent chance he was a historical figure. Konfuzius undoubtedly was a historical figure (just because a few details are unknown doesn't change that).
Jesus was of course hotly debated for a time, but consensus now is definitely that he was a historical figure, supported by sources outside christianity as well. Was he and his actions embellished in the christian texts ? Duh. But so were plenty of famous persian, roman or greek figures that no one doubts existed. Unless you set an impossible burden of proof it is valid to assume he was a real person.
Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva and Allah though are decidedly not people but deities.

Quote:
… In the US.

Nah, Beckham was definitely also (and propably more so than in the US) huge elsewhere including at least the parts of asia with some connection to football/anglo (Japan, SK) but somewhat popular in China and India as well. Plus, the famous-spouse effect that made him known among different sets if people as well.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2020 at 12:02 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #66
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
… In the US.

Don't forget about Bend it Like Beckham, which was enormously popular in India, giving Beckham the kind of transcendence beyond sport that other athletes may not have. Not to mention some residual fame worldwide as Posh Spice's husband, for those unfamiliar with sports.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #67
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Nah, Beckham was definitely also (and propably more so than in the US) huge elsewhere including at least the parts of asia with some connection to football/anglo (Japan, SK) but somewhat popular in China and India as well. Plus, the famous-spouse effect that made him known among different sets if people as well.

I was talking about the "more famous" than Messi/Ronaldo. Beckham was well known, no doubt. But the level of Ronaldo's and Messi's fame is beyond that. JIMG already mentioned Ronaldo's eye popping Instagram followers.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #68
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't forget about Bend it Like Beckham, which was enormously popular in India, giving Beckham the kind of transcendence beyond sport that other athletes may not have. Not to mention some residual fame worldwide as Posh Spice's husband, for those unfamiliar with sports.

Bend it Like Beckham made only $76 million worldwide (it definitely made a ton of money over it's $6mil budget though!).
Old 07-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #69
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bend it Like Beckham made only $76 million worldwide (it definitely made a ton of money over it's $6mil budget though!).

Gotta hate those 1250% returns
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #70
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, people do under estimate the Beckham effect, but the mention of Jackie Chan Is an interesting one...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Dola, people do under estimate the Beckham effect, but the mention of Jackie Chan Is an interesting one...

That one got me thinking, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-01-2020 at 01:28 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote