Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

This is just a strange situation. The plane disappeared from radar on Saturday, and there has been no trace of the plane since then. No wreckage has been found, and apparently none of the locator beacons are transmitting.
__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
I read this book, Balky Bartockomus is the bad guy.

In all seriousness, prayers for all involved, can't imagine having a loved one up there.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ...down the gravity well
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This is just a strange situation. The plane disappeared from radar on Saturday, and there has been no trace of the plane since then. No wreckage has been found, and apparently none of the locator beacons are transmitting.

I'm nervewracked a little myself. I fly to Beijing on Saturday on the same type of plane, though with United.

I'm more concerned that this is also due to the Chinese Separatists who did the mass stabbing in Kunming. I am traveling to the Yunnan province which is Kunming's capital. I'm slightly concerned with the United flight, but moreso because we'll be taking a plane from Beijing to either Dali or Kunming.

Two weeks later I'll be flying out of Shanghai to SanFran, but needless to say I'm more nervous than usual. (I hate flying regardless).

My mother however is going to be a wreck as:

I'll be flying out of DC to Beijing (United)
My wife and 2 year old will be flying from Newark to Seattle (Alaskan)
My daughter will be flying from Philly to Dallas Ft. Worth (American)

All on the same day.
__________________
Formerly known as Qwikshot...er...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Colorado Springs
I'm still wondering how the hell an entire plane vanished in this day and age, with all the tracking available.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MA
On the terrorism front, if that were the case wouldn't someone be taking credit by now? Isn't that a fundamental part of a terrorist act? At least that's how I define it.
__________________

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: On Lake Harriet
I think the terrorism angle is being fueled largely by the fact that at least two passengers were flying on stolen passports and that those two individuals booked their tickets together. But, yes, your point is a good one.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ...down the gravity well
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
On the terrorism front, if that were the case wouldn't someone be taking credit by now? Isn't that a fundamental part of a terrorist act? At least that's how I define it.

I can only conclude that if it was say Chinese separatists who contact a government agency in China, or the press and it's being suppressed by said government.

I agree it's totally bizarre. The conclusion is probably even nerve-wracking, that the crew much like Air France, created a situation that they could not recover from.

The whole transponder thing gets me but then I realize it's Malaysian Air we're talking about.
__________________
Formerly known as Qwikshot...er...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: non white trash MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I'm nervewracked a little myself. I fly to Beijing on Saturday on the same type of plane, though with United.

I'm more concerned that this is also due to the Chinese Separatists who did the mass stabbing in Kunming. I am traveling to the Yunnan province which is Kunming's capital. I'm slightly concerned with the United flight, but moreso because we'll be taking a plane from Beijing to either Dali or Kunming.

Two weeks later I'll be flying out of Shanghai to SanFran, but needless to say I'm more nervous than usual. (I hate flying regardless).

My mother however is going to be a wreck as:

I'll be flying out of DC to Beijing (United)
My wife and 2 year old will be flying from Newark to Seattle (Alaskan)
My daughter will be flying from Philly to Dallas Ft. Worth (American)

All on the same day.

how long will you be in DC for?
__________________
Dominating Warewolf for 0 games!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Qwikshot
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ...down the gravity well
Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
how long will you be in DC for?

Just overnight, I go down to Arlington once a month for school...though I'm graduating in May if I'm lucky.
__________________
Formerly known as Qwikshot...er...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
JPhillips
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newburgh, NY
One of the Malaysian authorities said the footage of the two men that used the stolen passports showed that they were, "not Asian looking" men. If correct that would likely rule out separatists, right?

Very strange all around. It's like the opening scenario of a Bond film.
__________________
To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.. - Mr. Rogers
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Qwikshot
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ...down the gravity well
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
One of the Malaysian authorities said the footage of the two men that used the stolen passports showed that they were, "not Asian looking" men. If correct that would likely rule out separatists, right?

Very strange all around. It's like the opening scenario of a Bond film.

Uyghur people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are the the group that attacked in the train station, they are very euro-centric looking for the most part.
__________________
Formerly known as Qwikshot...er...
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Back in Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I think the terrorism angle is being fueled largely by the fact that at least two passengers were flying on stolen passports and that those two individuals booked their tickets together. But, yes, your point is a good one.

I wonder how often that happens. Is this one of those things that happens "all the time" but we never hear about or is this rare

SI
__________________
Houston Hippopotami, III.3: 20th Anniversary Thread - All former HT players are encouraged to check it out!

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"


sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I wonder how often that happens. Is this one of those things that happens "all the time" but we never hear about or is this rare

SI

Evidently it is pretty common.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Stolen passports market big in Thailand - CSMonitor.com

edit: I just find it hard to believe that there is a way to track stolen passports, and the list is rarely referenced.
__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
BishopMVP
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Concord, MA/UMass
Any thought that it might have been shot down intentionally or unintentionally by one of the militaries? It was about to enter Vietnamese air space and off course when "contact was lost", there were multiple people on board with stolen passports...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Any thought that it might have been shot down intentionally or unintentionally by one of the militaries? It was about to enter Vietnamese air space and off course when "contact was lost", there were multiple people on board with stolen passports...

If it were, there likely would have been a large debris field.
__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
It's looking more and more like this may become an unsolved mystery. "What ever happened to..." Conspiracy theories may commence.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MA
It's only been a couple days, I doubt this won't be figured out.

And I'm sure conspiracy theories have already commenced.
__________________

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
It's looking more and more like this may become an unsolved mystery.


Or an ABC Tv series
__________________
Couch to ??k - From the couch to a Marathon in roughly 18 months.


Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
I think your reference may be Lost on some people.
__________________
Author of The Bill Gates Challenge, as well as other groundbreaking dynasties.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Thomkal
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Surfside Beach,SC USA
+1 to Kodos and Alan T for getting to the Lost reference before I could
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
FBPro
College Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SE
Nice on the comments, not so nice on the situation.
__________________
GM RayCo Raiders-est. 2004-2012
Charter member of the IHOF-RayCo GM
GM Tennessee Titans PFL 2011-2014
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's a pretty awesome aviation site I wasn't aware of. It does real-time tracking of almost every flight around the world.

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

The co-founder of the site has been interviewed quite a bit regarding this incident.

Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China - Flight MH370
__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #23
RainMaker
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I'm nervewracked a little myself. I fly to Beijing on Saturday on the same type of plane, though with United.

The drive to the airport is much more dangerous. These are always scary, but it is incredibly rare.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #24
CraigSca
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Not Delaware - hurray!
flightaware is the one I use - you can not only see flights that are currently in the air but those in the past as well (great for checking out your own flights, after the fact).
__________________
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!
She loves you, yeah!
how do you know?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Back in Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
flightaware is the one I use - you can not only see flights that are currently in the air but those in the past as well (great for checking out your own flights, after the fact).

Yeah, I'm a big fan of flightaware

SI
__________________
Houston Hippopotami, III.3: 20th Anniversary Thread - All former HT players are encouraged to check it out!

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"


sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
The simplest explanation might be pilot suicide. Like the Egypt Air crash from few years ago. Point it to the ocean and dive in. I think it would disappear pretty quickly. I don't know anything but it's simple.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #27
BishopMVP
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Concord, MA/UMass
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
If it were, there likely would have been a large debris field.
I thought they were still trying to find the debris field.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #28
bhlloy
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The simplest explanation might be pilot suicide. Like the Egypt Air crash from few years ago. Point it to the ocean and dive in. I think it would disappear pretty quickly. I don't know anything but it's simple.

Is it usual for one of the flight crew to leave the cabin that soon into the flight though? That definitely fits given there's no warning or apparent issue with the plane at all.

I also wonder, given the (at least) two people we know were on the flight with fake passports, and the seemingly completely lax attitude of security at the departure airport, and the fact that the plane just disappeared off radar with no warning or indication anything was wrong whether it's possible to get a bomb onto a plane that completely obliterates the thing to the point that there might not be that much wreckage to look for. Still defeats the point I suppose that nobody has claimed it yet, and even if the Chinese were keeping it quiet surely it would have got out through other channels by now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego via Sausalito via San Jose via San Diego
I'm no expert on oil slicks, but, my thinking is: If the plane exploded in air at cruising altitude, how could there be an oil slick? I would imagine that the fuel and oil would be too dispersed to create an oil slick. Now if the plane hit the water intact (or mostly intact), that makes much more sense to me as to why there would be an oil slick.

EDIT: The slick is probably more due to hydraulic fluid than oil. Oil slick just seems to be the common term.
__________________
I'm no longer a Chargers fan, they are dead to me

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-10-2014 at 08:52 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
dacman
College Benchwarmer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: speak to the trout
If the plane exploded at altitude, you're correct, there likely wouldn't be a slick.

In this case the "oil" would be the jet fuel -- thousands of gallons worth.
__________________
No signatures allowed.

Last edited by dacman : 03-10-2014 at 09:17 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego via Sausalito via San Jose via San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
If the plane exploded at altitude, you're correct, there likely wouldn't be a slick.

In this case the "oil" would be the jet fuel -- thousands of gallons worth.

Yes, jet fuel would be far more accurate, thank you. Especially since it wasn't too far into its journey.
__________________
I'm no longer a Chargers fan, they are dead to me

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #32
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Is it usual for one of the flight crew to leave the cabin that soon into the flight though? That definitely fits given there's no warning or apparent issue with the plane at all.

I also wonder, given the (at least) two people we know were on the flight with fake passports, and the seemingly completely lax attitude of security at the departure airport, and the fact that the plane just disappeared off radar with no warning or indication anything was wrong whether it's possible to get a bomb onto a plane that completely obliterates the thing to the point that there might not be that much wreckage to look for. Still defeats the point I suppose that nobody has claimed it yet, and even if the Chinese were keeping it quiet surely it would have got out through other channels by now.

Two hours into the flight would be a pretty reasonable potty break time for the pilots. This flight only had the 2 pilots, as it was less than 8 hours. There was no need for a relief pilot.

It thought I had heard that the oil slicks that they had found were not related to the plane at all. The oil didn't match what they would have expected to find.

Oh the conspiracy theories are certainly there. I won't even post the web side that this came from cause it doesn't deserve the attention. I couldn't keep a straight face while reading it though.

Quote:
Conclusion: Flight 370 did not explode; it vanished

The inescapable conclusion from what we know so far is that Flight 370 seems to have utterly and inexplicably vanished. It clearly was not hijacked (unless there is a cover-up regarding the radar data), and we can all be increasingly confident by the hour that this was not a mid-air explosion (unless debris suddenly turns up that they've somehow missed all along).

The inescapable conclusion is that Flight 370 simply vanished in some way that we do not yet understand. This is what is currently giving rise to all sorts of bizarre-sounding theories across the 'net, including discussions of possible secret military weapons tests, Bermuda Triangle-like ripples in the fabric of spacetime, and even conjecture that non-terrestrial (alien) technology may have teleported the plane away.

Personally, I'm not buying any of that without a lot more evidence. The most likely explanation so far is that the debris simply hasn't been found yet because it fell over an area which is somehow outside the search zone. But as each day goes by, even this explanation becomes harder and harder to swallow.

The frightening part about all this is not that we will find the debris of Flight 370; but rather that we won't. If we never find the debris, it means some entirely new, mysterious and powerful force is at work on our planet which can pluck airplanes out of the sky without leaving behind even a shred of evidence.

If there does exist a weapon with such capabilities, whoever control it already has the ability to dominate all of Earth's nations with a fearsome military weapon of unimaginable power. That thought is a lot more scary than the idea of an aircraft suffering a fatal mechanical failure.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #33
bulletsponge
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TX
__________________
the Barbarian, WW Royal Rumble Champion
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
JediKooter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego via Sausalito via San Jose via San Diego
.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg humans aliens.jpg (64.8 KB, 266 views)
__________________
I'm no longer a Chargers fan, they are dead to me

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is strange that they are apparently now focusing the search in an area pretty far west of the last known radar location.

__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-10-2014 at 11:01 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #36
bhlloy
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Yeah, that struck me as very interesting as well. They must know something that the rest of the world doesn't yet.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #37
BillyNYC
High School JV
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back in NYC!
Flew Malaysian Airlines from Kuala Lumpur in November (a much shorter flight, to Penang; not to Beijing). Didn't notice anything peculiar securitywise. Granted, I did have a valid non-stolen passport.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #38
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A commercial satellite company has snapped pics of the South China Sea/Gulf of Thailand area and has opened up the pics for crowdsourcing.

Tomnod

edit: looks like their servers might be getting hammered at the moment
__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-10-2014 at 11:50 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #39
molson
General Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Mountains
"If we never find the debris, it means some entirely new, mysterious and powerful force is at work on our planet which can pluck airplanes out of the sky without leaving behind even a shred of evidence."

Flawless logic.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #40
JediKooter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego via Sausalito via San Jose via San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
"If we never find the debris, it means some entirely new, mysterious and powerful force is at work on our planet which can pluck airplanes out of the sky without leaving behind even a shred of evidence."

Flawless logic.

Could someone please ping Amelia Earhart?
__________________
I'm no longer a Chargers fan, they are dead to me

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-11-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #41
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Parañaque, Philippines
Apparently their celphones were ringing as of yesterday.

Strange: Cell Phones of Some Passengers of Missing Flight MH370 Rings, But No One Answers | Kicker Daily News
__________________
Come and see.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 AM   #42
JediKooter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego via Sausalito via San Jose via San Diego
I think, whoever was calling those numbers heard a 'ring', not that the passengers phones were actually really ringing. If I turn my cell phone off, if someone calls my number, they will hear still a 'ring'.
__________________
I'm no longer a Chargers fan, they are dead to me

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-11-2014 at 02:56 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: the yo'
Hopefully it wasn't the Kaiju entering our dimension.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #44
Suicane75
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
If this turns out to be some weird Godzilla tie in, I will be outraged.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Back in Houston!
Lost, schmost. I saw a documentary on this that predates Lost.

SI
__________________
Houston Hippopotami, III.3: 20th Anniversary Thread - All former HT players are encouraged to check it out!

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"


sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #46
molson
General Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I think, whoever was calling those numbers heard a 'ring', not that the passengers phones were actually really ringing. If I turn my cell phone off, if someone calls my number, they will hear still a 'ring'.

Ya, I'm not sure what they expected. "I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed because this phone is currently at the bottom of the ocean."
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #47
nilodor
College Benchwarmer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: calgary, AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, I'm not sure what they expected. "I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed because this phone is currently at the bottom of the ocean."

And I'm pretty sure if they were active the would have tried tracking those phones to see if they were still hitting some towers.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #48
dacman
College Benchwarmer
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: speak to the trout
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It is strange that they are apparently now focusing the search in an area pretty far west of the last known radar location.

Read rumors of this yesterday -- first I've seen it mentioned in the press:

Malaysian Airlines mystery: Military says missing jet changed course - CBS News
__________________
No signatures allowed.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #49
molson
General Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The simplest explanation might be pilot suicide. Like the Egypt Air crash from few years ago. Point it to the ocean and dive in. I think it would disappear pretty quickly. I don't know anything but it's simple.

Could a pilot do anything to make the plane more difficult to track during a flight and more difficult to find wreckage of after a crash? Like if he just wanted himself and the plane to "vanish"?

Last edited by molson : 03-11-2014 at 02:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #50
cartman
Death Herald
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Could a pilot do anything to make the plane more difficult to track during a flight and more difficult to find wreckage of after a crash? Like if he just wanted himself and the plane to "vanish"?

Plenty of things a pilot could do to make the plane more difficult to track. As has been mentioned, most all of the communications that planes make are radio based. So simply turning off the radios turns makes tracking more difficult. Evidently this plane also had ACARS, which is a system that automatically sends data back to home base via radio or satellite link. ACARS was on the big reasons they were able to locate the Air France flight from a few years back in a relatively short period of time in the middle of the Atlantic.

Also, if the pilot was skilled enough, once they turned off any transmitting devices, they could fly low to try and evade surface radar. But from what info the Malaysian military has released, the plane was still flying at a normal cruising altitude when they lost track of it west of the country.

edit: another military source said it was flying low at the time, so who knows
__________________
Thinkin' of a master plan
'Cuz ain't nuthin' but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-11-2014 at 02:18 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.