Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The HFL's St. Louis Cardinals - A Multiplayer FOF Dynasty

New Cardinals Owner & GM Meets the Media

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
February 10 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

St. Louis mayor James Conway introduced the new owner of the Historic Football League's Cardinals, NoSkillz, to the media and a large gathering of fans at a press conference at Busch Stadium earlier this morning. The 33 year old native of Niagara Falls, Canada assumes full control of all football-related operations for the Cardinals.

"There is a lot of talent already in place here in St. Louis and I completely expect the team to be in the playoff hunt right away", NoSkillz exclaimed. "The fans of this club have been extremely patient over the past eight years and it is time they're rewarded with a winning team."

The new GM indicates that his first order of business this weekend will be to get in touch with his coaching and scouting staff to discuss the team's offensive and defensive philosophies going forward.

When asked if all staff members would be retained for the '78 season, NoSkillz tantalizingly said that "every member of the entire franchise will be evaluated, including the players."

He indicated that he hasn't spoken with any of the players at length but did say that one of his priorities is to mend the differences between the club and it's franchise quarterback, Mike Livingston.

There have been many reports that Livingston has been disgruntled with the organization after he was slapped with the franchise tag last season.

"I can't really comment on any of the rumors about Mike and the franchise tag because I wasn't here last year", NoSkillz said. "All I know is that Mike earned superstar money last year with this club. We have a new management team in place and I trust that we can wipe the slate clean and start fresh."

He would say that there is a lot of work to do but the objective is a simple one.

"Our ultimate goal is to bring an exciting product to the great fans in St. Louis. Most importantly, however, is to develop a winning attitude in the locker room. We are one of only a few teams that hasn't made a postseason appearance and that will have to be rectified in short order."

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Let's set this dynasty up, shall we?

First of all, I'm a complete novice with FOF and this is my first time venturing into multiplayer in any game. So bear with me if I make a lot of rookie mistakes.

That all being said, I couldn't be more pumped about the experience thus far...and we haven't even had a sim yet! (first hiring stage is tonight)

A lot of my excitement comes from the fact that I was welcomed into the Historic Football League (HFL), an established league with a lot of FOFC's regulars. Passacaglia, Tarcone, 3Ric, JeeberD, Fantastic Flying Froggies and Chinaski are all charter members of the league, which started in 1970 with historical rosters and is now up to 1978. Narcizo, also a FOFC regular, is the defending champion after taking the 1977 Front Office Bowl.

I won't go over the entire history of the HFL right here but check out this post if you want to catch up on the league as it stands right now. I believe Narcizo wrote it originally and it's a great synopsis of the league in its current state.

It's a great group of guys and I'm just hoping that I can make up for my lack of experience with the game by making solid contributions in the forums there with my writing.

As I did with my EHM Sabres dynasty (in my sig below), I'll write this dynasty from the perspective of the newspapers to give it a more 'story-type' feel. I may break out of character once in awhile to ask for advice on gameplay but we'll see how it evolves.

I also have the grand ambition of doing an 'HFL 1978 Season Preview', similar to what IHOF has done in the past. They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery so I hope there is no one offended if I complete the task. I believe it will help get people interested about our great league and it will also help me learn about all of the other teams and their players.

I hope you enjoy the ride!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-13-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added league's website
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

New Cardinals GM Interviews Coaching Candidates; Five Players Hang it Up for Good

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
February 13 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

He's only been in charge for three days but there's quite a buzz around the St. Louis Cardinals offices these days.

New General Manager NoSkillz has conducted 17 interviews with potential coaching candidates since Saturday morning and is said to be pleased with how things have progressed.

"We are extremely happy with the response we've received thus far and I expect to make an announcement regarding our coaching vacancies before the weekend", he indicated.

The only staff member under contract at the moment is long-time scout Lance Lowrey. The 68 year old still has a year left on his contract and NoSkillz said the club will honor the commitment and keep him on board this season.

The contracts for Head Coach Vernon Stewart and Offensive Coordinator Rich Lewandowski expired at the end of last season but both got the opportunity to interview with NoSkillz for employment in 1978.

Stewart has guided the team for the last three seasons, going 24-24 over that time period with Lewandowski by his side calling the offensive plays. Interestingly enough, Lewandowski started his career with Seattle in 1970 as a defensive coordinator before moving to the offense with Dallas in 1973.

"Vernon and Rich are both being strongly considered for positions with the team", NoSkillz said. He also indicated that Glenn Mosby, St. Louis' former defensive coordinator, has retired. Mosby won a Front Office Bowl with the Houston Oilers back in 1972 and will have to be replaced.

While the new GM was reluctant to say who he has interviewed, rumor has it that a couple big names have been seen in St. Louis this week. Dave Abrams, the long-time head coach of the Buffalo Bills and Darrin Sporer, Cleveland's head coach are both without a contract but NoSkillz wouldn't comment on whether they've been a part of the interview process.

The new GM was a bit more forthcoming about the five Cardinals who have submitted their retirement papers.

Wide Receiver Fred Hill, center Jon Morris, guard Len Hauss, defensive tackle Andy Rice and cornerback Miller Farr all decided to hang it up for good this week.

Hill was a dominant receiver for the Cards ever since getting drafted in the 17th round of the dispersal draft in 1970. He had four 1000-yard receiving seasons, including a career-high 77 receptions for 1271 yards in 1971. For his career, he caught 435 balls (26th all-time) for 6860 yards (22nd all-time) and 40 touchdowns.

Morris was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the 23rd round of the 1970 draft before arriving in St. Louis in 1972. In six years with the Cards, Morris started 69 games at center, including 11 last year.

Hauss was a fourth round selection in the 1970 Supplemental Draft and battled injury through most of his career. The right guard started 49 games for the Cards over his career but missed all of last year with an MCL injury.

Rice was a huge presence in the middle for the Cardinals right from the start. The 10th round choice in 1970 started 106 games over his eight year career in St. Louis and compiled 360 tackles and 21 sacks over that span. He started all 16 games in 1977 and will be truly missed this year.

Farr is another stellar defender who will need to be replaced. The 7th round pick in 1970 played his entire career in St. Louis and started 97 games over the last eight years. He compiled 410 tackles and 11 interceptions in his career and started 15 games for the Cards last year.

NoSkillz said that once he has built his coaching staff, he will begin to work on building the 1978 roster. "We will be players in the free agent market for sure, mostly out of necessity", he said, alluding to the fact that the club currently has only 30 players under contract.

He indicated that there hasn't been any progress between the club and its star free agent quarterback Mike Livingston as of yet but expects some resolution in the next week or so.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Looking great so far, keep it coming!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I can see what you mean about the pictures being easier to handle on this forum. Nice stuff.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
I can see what you mean about the pictures being easier to handle on this forum. Nice stuff.

Yeah, you can use the wrap function (or float) to incorporate the photo within the text, something you can't do at the league site.

No big deal though!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis GM Evasive About Rumoured Moves; Schedules Friday Press Conference

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
February 15 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

St. Louis Cardinals GM NoSkillz wouldn't comment today on the rampant speculation that the club has made a significant trade and also signed a new head coach.

Well-respected HFL beat writer Pub Reporter broke the news late last night that St. Louis was going to trade quarterback Mike Livingston to Chicago for their starter, Frank Patrick. His 'Inside HFL' column also reported that the club had come to an agreement with former Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Wade Grabowski to take over the head coaching reigns in St. Louis.

"It's a presumptuous statement for him to make right now", NoSkillz offered.

"As of this moment, I can say that we have yet to finalize our staff but will have an announcement in this regard tomorrow morning at 10:00am CST."

NoSkillz also refused comment on the rumored deal regarding Livingston.

"It's true that we have had difficulty coming to an agreement with Mike on a contract but any talk of trades is really a mute point until the roster freeze ends on Monday."

"I'll have more to say about our roster at that time."

The proposed deal is an interesting one, as the brittle but talented Patrick comes much cheaper than his counterpart. However, Livingston has been extremely durable his entire career and has always been a consistent performer. It would seemingly make sense from both sides, as the Bears have had great difficulty getting over their playoff failures in recent years, mostly due to the fact that Patrick has been injured for most of those games.

Tomorrow's press conference will be held at the Cardinals offices in Busch Stadium and we will have a full report tomorrow on the proceedings.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-15-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cardinals Hire Grabowski and Sporer; Franchise Livingston

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
February 17, 1978 (St. Louis) -

St. Louis Cardinals General Manager NoSkillz announced that the club has hired former Minnesota Vikings Offensive Coordinator Wade Grabowski to coach the team this year.

He also announced the appointment of the 1975 HFL Bowl winning coach Darrin Sporer as Defensive Coordinator.

Grabowski has been with the Vikings for his entire career as a coordinator and gets his first chance to lead a team.

"I've heard some people in the media doubting my leadership abilities and all I can say is that I intend to prove all the naysayers wrong", Grabowski said.

"We've got a veteran team here in St. Louis and I strongly feel I only have to lay the course for the players, not steer the ship. This is a driven locker room, one that is hungry to taste the playoffs and our mandate is to get there this year."

Grabowski is well-regarded as a student of the game and is also known for his teaching abilities. He's been labeled as a 'player's coach', something that he's fine with.

"Yeah, I'm not the type of guy who's going to call out his players in the media if they're not performing", he indicated.

"I'm a one-on-one type of guy. I'll tell it like it is but to be frank, any issues that arise in the locker room will stay there."

The announcement of Sporer as Defensive Coordinator comes as a surprise.

He led the Cleveland Browns to the HFL title only three years ago and compiled a 35-18 record with the club. Prior to joining Cleveland, he coached in Oakland for five years, four of them 10+ win seasons.

In his seven year career, he's compiled a 92-47 record and has never had a losing season.

"We are thrilled that Darrin has decided to round out Wade's staff this year", NoSkillz said. "He's a man of great intregrity and is one of the best motivators in HFL history."

Sporer wasn't available at the press conference and isn't expected to arrive in St. Louis until later next week.

In other news, it was announced that Mike Livingston was slapped with the franchise tag for the second consecutive year.

NoSkillz scheduled another press conference for 10:00am Monday morning. He is expected to verify the rumored trade between Chicago and St. Louis that would see the Cards pickup Quarterback Frank Patrick for Livingston.

The GM also announced that 1977 first round pick, linebacker Terry Beeson, was being sent to the summer league to work on his game in preparation for the coming year.

Beeson, who played college ball at Kansas, played sparingly last year, only seeing action on special teams. The team hopes that he starts fulfilling the potential that saw him drafted ninth overall last season.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cards Complete Trade for Patrick; Announce Other Signings

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
April 25, 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

St. Louis Cardinals General Manager NoSkillz finally announced that the club has acquired Chicago Bears quarterback Frank Patrick in a deal for Mike Livingston.

The 8-year veteran out of Nebraska has been much-maligned in his career for his propensity to get hurt at the most inopportune times. Last year was no exception, as he played the first 12 games but got hurt in the 13th, missing the playoffs once again for the Bears.

Patrick has only been healthy for 40 of Chicago's last 64 games but says he's completely healthy and ready to prove he can last a whole season.

"The Cardinals have taken a leap of faith in bringing me over from Chicago and I intend to prove to the brass and the great fans of St. Louis that they made the right decision."

The one thing no one can dispute about Patrick is his talent for getting the ball downfield with pinpoint accuracy. He owns a career quarterback rating of 90.6 and his TD to INT ratio is greater than 2-1. Last year he threw for over 3300 yards in the 13 games, along with a superb 26 touchdowns.

Coach Wade Grabowski was elated with the move.

"Frank loves to stretch the field and that fits right in with my offensive philosophy, which is to take advantage of big plays and to attack down field. I expect Frank to have a huge year."

Livingston leaves the Cardinals after five seasons with the club and holds almost every passing record for the franchise.

"Mike was wonderful in the community and a good teammate. We wish him all the best with his new club."

GM NoSkillz also announced that the club resigned eight restricted free agents yesterday:

S Louie Wright (1 year)
CB Dusty Hartman (1 year)
CB Ethan Heupel (1 year)
OLB K.C. O'Donnell (1 year)
OG Jackie Glode (2 years)
TE Jack Funk (1 year)
TE Sean Stemke (1 year)
WR Vincent Ketchum (1 year)

All of the deals are non-binding contracts with the exception of Glode, who received a $20,000 bonus.

The GM indicated that the club is working hard in preparation for this weekend's draft and will also attempt to make a splash in the free agent market, one he called 'relatively weak'.

"There are certainly some excellent players out there but competition will be fierce in the market", he said. "We have some weaknesses right now, specifically with our defensive front and it is of utmost importance that we address those concerns before training camp begins."

NoSkillz went on to say that "the club quite frankly hasn't drafted well in the past couple years. No offense to Steve (Mayer, the Cardinals placekicker), but there's no way a kicker should be drafted in the first round." He would conclude by saying "it's up to me, Wade and the rest of the staff to make better selections with our picks."

"My whole philosophy is that a good team should be built through the draft and it will be important to get some good youngsters on the roster over the next couple of years. That being said, we have a pretty solid nucleus in place right now and we will be adding a bunch of pieces through free agency to give us the opportunity to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history."
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cardinals Losing the Free Agency Battle

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
April 27, 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

St. Louis Cardinals GM NoSkillz promised that the team would be a major player in the free agency market this year, stating that the team's goal was to 'win now'.

Talk about a letdown.

The Cards have only been able to lure one UFA to St. Louis, that being fullback George Amundson, who played in Detroit last season.

Oh yeah, I guess you have to count the two UFA's that played for the Cardinals last year who just resigned: DE Jack Youngblood and DT Bob Juchartz.

I'm sure the other 31 GM's are trembling with fear.

"We're not satisfied with where we are at the moment" was all the GM had to say on the matter.

I suppose not!

There are still gaping holes to be filled as it stands right now.

The team intends to build an attacking offense with Frank Patrick at the helm but there are no weapons at his disposal other than receiver John Stallworth, who looks destined for a career year.

It's like going to war with a butter knife in your hands.

Eddie Ray is coming off a 1000 yard season but looks to be aging quickly. NoSkillz indicated that the club made a last-minute offer to Fran Lynch but he accepted a lower offer (but with more upfront money) with the Buffalo Bills

The team desperately needs another receiver to take the pressure off the sure to be double-teamed Stallworth. The club made overtures to Jerry Daanen and Haven Moses but both settled with other teams.

And the team doesn't have a guy to snap the ball from center yet either. Attempts to lure All-HFL Second Team center Jan Stenerud to St. Louis failed.

The defense is even more of a mess. The team doesn't have any threats at the tackle position and the whole defensive line looks uninspiring. Overtures to FA DT Mark Lomas and DE Pete Duranko were dismissed.

The linebacker situation is interesting at least, as the club is determined to see if last year's first rounder Terry Beeson was worth the pick. He was moved to the outside at the Summer League over in Europe to better take advantage of his speed and pass rushing ability but he's still a work-in-progress. There has been talk of moving to a 3-4 defense this year to better take advantage of the team's skill level.

Or to respond to the fact that the club doesn't have a suitable pair of tackles...take your pick!

Even the typically strong secondary has a cornerback position available this year.

The Cardinals will look to the draft and hope that they can come out of it with at least two starters, a tall task in a relatively thin draft class.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to step out of 'third person' and talk a little about my team and my experience thus far in multiplayer.

As said earlier, this is my first foray into multiplayer in any game and to make things even tougher, my first time actually playing FOF.

The HFL experience has been fantastic thus far - great bunch of dedicated owners who contribute to the forums and the website on a daily basis.

I can say that the whole free agency process has been humbling. I've lost out on pretty much everyone I've tried to go after and underestimated how much you have to 'overspend' on key guys. By overspend, I mean how much you have to exceed the player's initial request.

Let's take a look at my roster as it stands currently. We've completed four stages of free agency and we're two stages from the 1978 HFL Draft, which is headlined by running back Earl Campbell.

1978 St. Louis Cardinals

1978 SALARY CAP -$16,800,000
LOST CAP ROOM -$970,000
CAP REMAINING -$4,320,000

CAPSAVE IFPOST-DR.POST-TCFINAL
PLAYERPOSAGEEXPDRAFTFIGURERELEASEDRATINGRATINGRATING
Frank PatrickQB2991970 - 19th (32)$320,000$320,00069/69
QB
Nicky GuillenQB2321977 - 4th (9)$100,000$80,00010/40
QB REQUIREMENT - 3
QB CAP HIT -$420,000
Eddie RayRB2991970 - 16th (31)$290,000$130,00041/41
Arnold WeberRB2541975 - 4th (10)$110,000$100,00038/47
Clarence WilliamsRB2121977 - 2nd (9)$230,000$140,00034/47
George AmundsonFB2761973 - 4th (31)$160,000$160,00047/47
Clem Turner (M)FB30101970 - 46th (10)$70,000$70,00043/43
RB/FB REQUIREMENT - 3
RB/FB CAP HIT -$860,000
Bob TuckerTE2991970 - 35th (15)$250,000$210,00062/62
Sean StemkeTE2641975 - 3rd (29)$70,000$70,00042/42
Jack FunkTE2341975 - 6th (5)$70,000$70,00032/44
TE REQUIREMENT - 2
TE CAP HIT -$390,000
John StallworthWR2751974 - 1st (9)$870,000$400,00061/61
WR
Ron Sellers (M)WR31101970 - 34th (1)$210,000$210,00039/39
Randy BurkeWR2121977 - 7th (9)$70,000$70,00023/32
Vincent KetchumWR222Undrafted$60,000$60,00015/33
WR REQUIREMENT - 4
WR CAP HIT -$1,210,000
Mike Wilson (M)LT31101970 - 3rd (31)$640,000$440,00057/57
LT
Levert CarrLG31101970 - 4th (15)$500,000$240,00087/87
LG
C
Brandon MaumauC2221977 - 5th (9)$70,000$70,0005/35
Bill BainRG2641975 - 1st (10)$610,000$270,00053/59
Jackie GlodeRG2221977 - 5th (3)$70,000$60,00019/39
Rick SharpRT3091970 - 2nd (19)$680,000$410,00061/61
Kelvin PriorRT2221977 - 6th (9)$70,000$70,00011/43
OL REQUIREMENT - 7
OL CAP HIT -$2,640,000
CAPSAVE IFPOST-DR.POST-TCFINAL
PLAYERPOSAGEEXPDRAFTFIGURERELEASEDRATINGRATINGRATING
Harry GunnerDE32111970 - 9th (22)
$530,000
$370,000
54/54
Jack YoungbloodDE2781971 - 7th (15)
$200,000
$180,000
44/45
Junior JohnsonDE2221977 - 3rd (9)
$120,000
$80,000
15/34
John FarleyDE2681971 - 5th (5)
$150,000
$150,000
34/49
DT
DT
Keith SimonsDT2231976 - 3rd (9)
$140,000
$100,000
35/47
Bob Juchartz (M)DT2881971 - 4th (4)
$150,000
$140,000
35/35
DL REQUIREMENT - 6
DL CAP HIT -$1,290,000
Ross BrupbacherOLB3191970 - 11th (15)
$780,000
$500,000
67/67
Terry BeesonOLB2321977 - 1st (9)
$600,000
$200,000
14/53
Ron Pritchard (M)OLB31101970 - 46th (17)
$150,000
$150,000
35/35
K.C. O'DonnellOLB2541975 - 4th (31)
$70,000
$70,000
27/37
Tim RossovichILB30111970 - 32nd (3)
$440,000
$250,000
57/57
ILB
ILB
LB REQUIREMENT - 5
LB CAP HIT -$2,040,000
Charlie Waters (M)CB3091970 - 14th (7)
$680,000
$370,000
59/59
CB
Jim ThrowerCB3091970 - 24th (9)
$150,000
$150,000
37/37
Ethan HeupelCB222Undrafted
$60,000
$60,000
21/26
Dusty HartmanCB2441975 - 6th (15)
$70,000
$70,000
35/35
Nate WrightSS31101970 - 13th (31)
$690,000
$440,000
69/69
SS
Ike ThomasFS2881971 - 1st (7)
$340,000
$240,000
64/64
Louie WrightFS2541975 - 1st (22)
$70,000
$70,000
31/56
SEC REQUIREMENT - 6
SEC CAP HIT -$2,060,000
Steve MayerK2341975 - 1st (25)
$420,000
$220,000
52/52
Bobby Walden (M)P34141970 - 52nd (8)
$180,000
$150,000
69/69
K/P REQUIREMENT - 2
K/P CAP HIT -$600,000
TOTAL PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT - 41$11,510,000

Yeah, I'm totally an excel junkie!

The blue highlights indicate my starting slots, which I've been hoping to fill with guys rated at 50 current or better.

Fat chance!

The biggest needs on offense for me are at Wideout and Center. My running back situation isn't great either but will have to do for this year...I just have too many needs in other areas.

On defense, my front is extremely weak and I will at least need to pick up a suitable tackle among the remaining free agents or the draft.

I'm also in need of a second corner.

There isn't much left in free agency. I've got a bid on the table for Bill Bergey, who is coming off an All-HFL first team year at OLB. My intention if I get him is to move him to the inside (it doesn't look like he will take a ratings hit) due to his great run-stuffing ability. I would then go with a 3-4 to take advantage of my depth at linebacker and to mask my lack of depth at tackle.

I'll be looking to get at least two starters out of the draft this year as well - they may be green but I plan on giving my first and second rounders starting jobs right off the bat. I'll be looking for wideouts, centers and defensive tackles.

Next up: the 1978 HFL Draft and the top prospects available!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-23-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Reformatted Tables
Old 02-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Damn.

I'm not even going to try to redo the formatting...crazy board.

EDIT: I cleaned it up...it's readable now!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

If it's any consolation I switched to 34 in HFL for exactly the same reason as you. Not some great tactical masterplan but the fact that I had one semi-competent defensive tackles and 4 semi-competent linebackers.

You've really given yourself a tough task for your opening experience of MP FOF. Taking over any team that's been AI run for any length of time is going to be tough. HFL is benefiting from going to 2007 as well, where starting 30-40 ranged guy is pretty normal, while it was a rarity in most 2004 MP leagues.

Further consolation comes from the fact that the other teams in the NFC West seem to be suffering as well.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
If it's any consolation I switched to 34 in HFL for exactly the same reason as you. Not some great tactical masterplan but the fact that I had one semi-competent defensive tackles and 4 semi-competent linebackers.

You've really given yourself a tough task for your opening experience of MP FOF. Taking over any team that's been AI run for any length of time is going to be tough. HFL is benefiting from going to 2007 as well, where starting 30-40 ranged guy is pretty normal, while it was a rarity in most 2004 MP leagues.

Further consolation comes from the fact that the other teams in the NFC West seem to be suffering as well.

It's excellent consolation from the guy who won the HFL Bowl last year!

Yeah, I see it's going to be an uphill climb for this franchise over the next couple of years. I've got talent in the trenches but little 'elite', gamebreaking talent. Drafting 20th this year isn't going to help much either...

Oh well...it will be a fun challenge!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Very nice start to the dynasty, and I agree, it's a rocking league. Good to be in it with you, you add a lot to the game.

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Let's now take a look at the top 15 prospects available by position for the 1978 HFL Draft, starting with the offense:

Blue Highlight = Two SD Above Mean
Yellow Highlight = One SD Above Mean
Black Highlight = One SD Below Mean

Quarterback
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adj
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd Jmp
Pos Drill
Devel
Real Draft
Doug Williams
QB
36%
1 (17)
Kurt Farris
QB
27%
Lamont Davison
QB
20%
Curtis Collins
QB
32%
Joe Ellis
QB
26%
Norbert Homer
QB
45%
A.J. Curtis
QB
40%
Dexter Farasopoulos
QB
23%
Pat Ryan
QB
21%
11 (281)
Mike Garrison
QB
22%
Gifford Nielsen
QB
20%
3 (73)
Eddie Jurevicius
QB
37%
Tyrell Fuller
QB
10%
Peter Banks
QB
30%
Walt Ross
QB
43%

Williams is the best of a relatively weak QB class. He had the highest Solecismic score and will be a top-15 pick for sure. Farris also has decent numbers and is also likely to go in the first.

Real Draft
Running Back
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Earl Campbell
RB
54%
1 (1)
Mosi Tatupu
RB
64%
8 (215)
Andy Kelley
RB
66%
Dan Doornink
RB
68%
7 (174)
Terry Miller
RB
61%
1 (5)
Cory Hatcher
RB
55%
Roy Boatright
RB
66%
Kenneth Moore
RB
65%
Donnell Blanchard
RB
47%
Elvis Peacock
RB
56%
1 (20)
Dennis Johnson
RB
41%
3 (59)
Kris Hartings
RB
70%
Ethan Butler
RB
61%
Arthur Whittington
RB
56%
7 (176)
Dennis Sanchez
RB
71%

Earl Campbell is the stud of the draft and surefire #1 pick of the Atlanta Falcons. It's written in stone because the Falcons GM traded something like 3 #1 picks to get the first overall pick this year. Oh yeah, he already had the HFL's leading rusher in '76 (Franco Harris) too and had just signed him to a huge deal with monster bonus. But I digress. Franco was just shipped out prior to the draft, making this a lock. Tatupu and Miller look to be well-suited to West Coast schemes and Kelley, while not loved by scouts, was a combine superstar and should also go in the first round along with Doornink.

Real Draft
Fullback
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Korey Jackson
FB
60%
Jon Prioleau
FB
53%
Rickey Anderson
FB
55%
3 (71)
A.J. Weaver
FB
57%
Carlton Schneider
FB
40%
Les Hales
FB
30%
Walter Danner
FB
57%
Harry Dodge
FB
50%
Dodie Donnell
FB
58%
Damon Robinson
FB
28%
Dexter Burns
FB
57%
Dale Galbraith
FB
37%
Jessie Stamm
FB
34%
Chill Cat Tubbs
FB
48%
Deon Shelton
FB
51%

Not much here. Third and fourth round fodder for the most part, although the low-rated Stamm posted intriguing test scores.

Real Draft
Tight End
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Todd Christensen
TE
56%
2 (56)
Ozzie Newsome
TE
---
---
---
---
46%
1 (23)
Butch Howard
TE
59%
Reed McCall
TE
43%
1 (25)
Darrell Atkins
TE
53%
Mickey Shuler
TE
46%
3 (61)
Brent Ridley
TE
47%
Mel Sheldon
TE
58%
Roman Shannon
TE
45%
Ted Jurkiewicz
TE
52%
Tracy Milanovich
TE
55%
Neal Sprouse
TE
33%
Charlie Duwe
TE
32%
Derrick Hentschel
TE
37%
Ken MacAfee
TE
24%
1 (7)

Very nice tight end class, with Christensen looking to be an elite talent. Newsome is a favourite of scouts as well but was a combine no-show. Both of these guys could go late in the first round. Howard also looks to be a solid prospect.

Real Draft
Wide Receiver
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
John Jefferson
SE
15%
1 (14)
Alfred Jackson
FL
37%
7 (167)
James Lofton
FL
---
---
---
---
20%
1 (6)
Martin Kripper
SE
52%
Dave Stone
SE
48%
Winfred Sharper
FL
22%
Glenn Benson
FL
---
---
---
---
50%
Danny Fulton
FL
39%
3 (65)
Rico Goldsberry
FL
41%
Robert Harper
FL
19%
Jessie Thompson
SE
23%
6 (165)
Kerry Warren
FL
47%
Rod Parker
FL
30%
6 (152)
Lewis Woo
SE
28%
Joe Stewart
SE
48%
4 (108)

There is some elite level talent here but the depth of the wide receiver class in '78 is pretty pathetic. Jefferson will likely be a top three pick and just looks studly. Lofton interviewed VERY WELL but didn't participate in the combines, knocking his bureau score down. I'd rank him ahead of Jefferson myself and that's saying something. Jackson and Kripper are two speedsters with Kripper being an interesting case: he looks to be as dumb as a pile of bricks, with the lowest Solecismic score in the draft I believe but has dynamite physical skills. Kind of a Randy Moss clone. Jackson will likely go in the top ten while Kripper's intelligence tests will drop him to the middle of round one.

Real Draft
Center
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Jim Hough
C
---
34%
4 (100)
Blair Bush
C
---
---
---
---
---
13%
1 (16)
Fred Quillan
C
---
12%
7 (175)
Rex McEwen
C
---
38%
Thurman Gaines
C
---
35%
Tom Davis
C
---
43%
6 (143)
Phillip Donnell
C
---
40%
Kim Altman
C
---
39%
Willie Hales
C
---
33%
Jessie McKnight
C
---
42%
Al Pitts
C
---
28%
Thurman Blackburn
C
---
48%
Dustin Vance
C
---
23%
Brandon Ross
C
---
35%
Larry Tearry
C
---
49%
5 (109)

Hough is a good looking center while Bush sat out the combines. Doesn't matter though - none of these guys will go until the second round at best.

Real Draft
Offensive Guard
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Curtis Anderson
LG
---
36%
Wes Lucido
LG
---
45%
Walt Downing
RG
---
39%
2 (47)
Leotis Harris
LG
---
40%
6 (144)
John Kramer
RG
---
34%
Rich Harris
RG
---
---
---
---
---
15%
Alex Morrison
RG
---
51%
Orlando Tupa
RG
---
44%
George Collins
RG
---
46%
4 (96)
Ethan Yost
RG
---
30%
Bob Cryder
LG
---
15%
1 (18)
Ernie Hughes
LG
---
47%
3 (79)
Homer Elias
LG
---
16%
4 (107)
Jerome Boyd
RG
---
47%
Jonathan Garrison
RG
---
48%

The offensive guard class is exactly opposite that of wide receivers in that there is very little top talent but plenty of depth. Anderson is the best of the bunch but there are no AAA level players in this group and you'd be reaching by picking any of these guys in the first round.

Real Draft
Offensive Tackle
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Mike Kenn
LT
---
24%
1 (13)
Brent Watson
RT
---
50%
Eric Smith
LT
---
30%
Dwight Wheeler
LT
---
51%
4 (102)
Archie Wells
LT
---
40%
James Taylor
RT
---
19%
2 (33)
Frank Myers
RT
---
51%
5 (117)
Howard Huffman
LT
---
45%
Benjamin Harris
RT
---
25%
Terry Schwartz
RT
---
43%
Calvin Conway
RT
---
49%
Wesley Valdez
RT
---
30%
Gordon King
LT
---
29%
1 (10)
Orlando Marsh
RT
---
39%
Eric Laakso
RT
---
29%
4 (106)

Great draft for tackles and Kenn is a superstud - he is first pick material and will likely go #2 to the rebuilding Vikings. Watson and Smith are sure-fire first rounders as well. Deep, deep class.

I'll be back tomorrow with the available defensive players, along with a report on my needs going into the draft.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:12 AM   #17
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Here are the top-15 Defensive players, by position, in the 1978 HFL Draft:

Real Draft
Defensive End
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Bill Gay
LDE
---
42%
2 (55)
Doug Colon
LDE
---
55%
Emmanuel Firestone
LDE
---
44%
Art Still
LDE
---
21%
1 (2)
Al Baker
RDE
---
24%
2 (40)
Willie Fry
RDE
---
51%
Dan Gray
LDE
---
40%
5 (123)
Ross Browner
LDE
---
39%
1 (8)
Bill Larrimore
RDE
---
53%
Dee Hardison
LDE
---
---
---
---
---
41%
2 (32)
Sylvester Hicks
LDE
---
53%
2 (29)
Dennis Baker
RDE
---
45%
Anthony Burnett
RDE
---
55%
Randall Terhune
RDE
---
40%
Reggie Doss
LDE
---
21%
7 (189)

This is an extremely deep draft for defensive ends, with about five or six possible choices in the first round. Gay was a combine stud, as was Baker, with both hitting the magical 'AAA' designation.

Real Draft
Defensive Tackle
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Dennis Harrison
RDT
---
52%
4 (92)
Jack Roberson
RDT
---
59%
Daryl Glenn
LDT
---
49%
Larry Cooper
NT
---
45%
Brenden Clancy
LDT
---
62%
Greg Marshall
LDT
---
60%
7 (186)
Henry Bradley
NT
---
50%
9 (237)
Harry Nowakowski
NT
---
55%
Reggie Messer
NT
---
46%
Ron Davison
NT
---
54%
Ted Vincent
RDT
---
61%
3 (72)
Bert Johnstone
RDT
---
38%
Stan Johnson
RDT
---
60%
2 (46)
Don Latimer
LDT
---
57%
1 (27)
Blake Simpkins
RDT
---
53%

On the other hand, a very weak defensive tackle class. Harrison had an incredible 'AAA' combine but scouts aren't sold on his abilities and his bars aren't great. The rest of the class leaves quite a bit to be desired, with Roberson and Glenn possible late first rounders.

Real Draft
Inside Linebacker
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
John Anderson
SILB
---
---
---
---
46%
1 (26)
Ernest McCleskey
MLB
63%
Junior Bruschi
MLB
60%
Charles Cole
MLB
58%
Levon Preston
MLB
43%
Harry Randolph
MLB
38%
Darnell Barton
MLB
54%
Maurice Thomason
SILB
59%
Calvin Carder
WILB
38%
Erik Prior
MLB
33%
Jermaine Hunt
SILB
52%
Bill Matthews
MLB
60%
5 (129)
Brady Jeffries
MLB
49%
Everett Wilson
SILB
27%
Ted Beauchamp
WILB
37%

Anderson was a combine non-participant but scouts love him. He should be a top-ten pick in this draft. McCleskey is touted as a run-stopper and had a fantastic combine but scouts don't think he brings much else, knocking him down to late first round status. McCleskey and Wilson are the 'AAA' combine guys here.

Real Draft
Outside Linebacker
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
J.J. Kiss
SLB
63%
Leroy Linares
SLB
63%
Gary Spani
WLB
51%
3 (58)
Mike Hawkins
SLB
62%
7 (188)
John McGriff
WLB
51%
Mike Douglass
WLB
59%
5 (116)
Clay Matthews
SLB
---
---
---
---
52%
1 (12)
Dan Bunz
WLB
39%
1 (24)
J.J. Diaz
WLB
65%
Mel Ackerman
WLB
39%
Arnie Cassidy
WLB
64%
Lonnie Sutter
WLB
38%
Artie Landon
WLB
67%
Dean Moore
WLB
36%
9 (233)
Mike Hunt
WLB
39%
2 (34)

Pretty weak class here, with no 'AAA' players. However, Clay Matthews didn't participate in the combine and his name might peak some interest. Kiss is pretty decent overall and could be a first round pick.

Real Draft
Cornerback
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Terry Jackson
LCB
51%
5 (120)
Estus Hood
LCB
54%
3 (62)
Gerald Small
RCB
49%
4 (93)
Ray Griffin
LCB
60%
2 (35)
Alan Martinez
RCB
50%
Dwight Hicks
RCB
37%
6 (150)
Marshall Turnbull
RCB
55%
Blaine Sanford
RCB
30%
Marcus Kramer
RCB
63%
Lonnie Foley
LCB
57%
Jermaine Reed
RCB
63%
John Turner
RCB
41%
2 (48)
Irv Edgar
RCB
31%
Don Schwartz
LCB
63%
4 (87)
Adam Kanu
RCB
50%

Deep but unspectacular cornerback class, however, there will likely be at least three of these guys picked in the first round. Corners always are in high demand it seems. No 'AAA' players here but some nice 'bar' guys.

Real Draft
Safety
Pos.
Weight
Grade
Adjusted
Dash
Sole
Strength
Agility
Brd. Jump
Pos. Spec.
Developed
Dennis Thurman
SS
59%
11 (306)
John Harris
SS
41%
7 (173)
Gino Briggs
SS
49%
Keith Simpson
SS
39%
1 (9)
Ron Johnson
FS
58%
1 (22)
Maurice Harvey
FS
58%
4 (86)
Mike Davis
SS
44%
Reggie Grant
FS
40%
9 (225)
Ross Finkes
SS
35%
Ricky Bridges
SS
57%
Eric Felton
SS
47%
5 (115)
Reuben Floyd
FS
54%
Norbert Mangum
SS
53%
Charles Williams
SS
48%
9 (230)
Vinny Gilliam
FS
27%

Non-descript safety class, although Thurman looks like a bonafide first rounder. Again, no 'AAA' players here.

Next up: the 1978 HFL Draft!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You're bringing a tear to my eye NoSkillz! My former team is finally getting a GM who cares for them as much as I did.

GO CARDINALS!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

Superb dynasty, but then we should expect that after the Sabres one

I miss the HFL, damn it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #20
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You're bringing a tear to my eye NoSkillz! My former team is finally getting a GM who cares for them as much as I did.

GO CARDINALS!!

Yeah, being my first GM Multiplayer experience, I'm pretty pumped.

It's a shame that everything you built for the franchise pretty much got torn down when the league was forced to use a computer GM for a year or two.

There's not a lot of elite, playmaking talent here and it looks as if it might take another year or two of rebuilding before I'm a legitimate threat but we'll see...

Glad to see you on the HFL Forums...it would be great to have you back in the league!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #21
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Superb dynasty, but then we should expect that after the Sabres one

I miss the HFL, damn it.

Thanks Izulde. That's a great compliment coming from you.

Hopefully you can eventually find the time to come back to the league. I love GM's who contribute articles and analysis and I bet you would be that type of owner.

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the 1978 HFL Yearbook, which is currently creeping up to about 50 pages (!), with team previews, player rankings and much more.

It's time consuming but will be a great marketing tool for the league and a fun read for HFL owners and 'vultures'...I hope anyway!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Great dynasty post, good luck in the upcoming season!
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Yeah, being my first GM Multiplayer experience, I'm pretty pumped.

It's a shame that everything you built for the franchise pretty much got torn down when the league was forced to use a computer GM for a year or two.

There's not a lot of elite, playmaking talent here and it looks as if it might take another year or two of rebuilding before I'm a legitimate threat but we'll see...

Glad to see you on the HFL Forums...it would be great to have you back in the league!

Yeah, Livingston was a great trade for me and I was starting to build the team up around him. Good luck, I'll be reading and frequenting the forums.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #24
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

On to the draft we go. As you can see by the charts, I really prepared for my first ever multiplayer (and FOF) draft.

The team has some glaring holes on both sides of the ball but there are a couple positions that stand out more than others. On offense, we're very weak at the running back, wide receiver and center slots.

On defense, our entire front is weak and we could use another corner.

The biggest need is defensive tackle, but the only guy worth taking in the first round is Dennis Harrison and it's pretty much impossible that he'll drop from his #5 rated overall position in the draft. Jack Roberson, the #2 rated DT, is a second round talent.

So I had my eye on WR Martin Kripper, a speedster out of Florida State. He had a great combine but the #4 rated WR in the draft had a terrible Solecismic test, scoring a 9, the lowest in the entire draft class. But his skill set falls right into what I'm looking for at wideout and I kept my fingers crossed that he would soon line up opposite John Stallworth.

I've got picks in every round and two in the fifth round after a trade with the Falcons a couple days before the draft. I select #20 in the first round. My strategy was to give preference to good combine guys over good 'bar' guys, based on the reading I've done on this site.

Lets go through the whole first round, with commentary from the HFL's man on the beat, Pub Reporter:

1. Earl Campbell RB (Atlanta Falcons)

No surprises here, the Falcons get their replacement for Franco Harris and Campbell gets to play on a team that likes to run the ball a lot. Both should be happy & Campbell is already the bookies short-priced favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The Falcons traded 3 First Round Picks to get the first overall selection in the draft. They then traded Franco Harris, the leading rusher in the HFL in '77 for a couple other first rounders in order to insert Campbell directly into the lineup. A huge gamble on a rookie, without doubt.

2. James Lofton WR (Minnesota Vikings)

Well they were expected to go for T Kenn or Lofton so this is no major surprise. Lofton demonstrates a no-show at the combine doesn't necessarily lower your value. The Vikes will be hoping he justifies his selection above Jefferson & Jackson.

3. John Jefferson WR (Jacksonville Jaguars)

Strike one up for the Cub Reporter Mock Draft. Jacksonville as expected take Jefferson at 3. The fastest man in the draft, Jefferson will give the Jags a genuine deep threat.

4. Alfred Jackson WR (Carolina Panthers)

Anyone predict 3 wideouts going in the top 4? No, we didn't think so. Carolina decide to go for need as they look to replace the departed Daanen. Maybe could have traded down to get Jackson but that's just nitpicking. Jackson should make an immediate impact.

Needless to say, at this point I figure I have no shot of getting Kripper now at #20.

5. Mike Kenn OT (Green Bay Packers)

With two good relatively young Tackles on the team the Packers are clearly drafting on the basis of the best player available. Kenn is just that and has the potential to be a HFL legend.

6. John Anderson ILB (Cincinnati Bengals)
First defensive player of the draft, the Bengals plump to take combine no-show Anderson. The Bengals have plenty of talent at LB but despite this the defense was pretty awful last year. Anderson could claim a starting spot from either Stein or McCaffrey in his first year.

7. Emmanuel Firestone DE (New Orleans Saints)
First major shock of the draft as the Saints take Firestone ahead of Gay, Glenn and Colon. Projected as a late first round pick, New Orleans have obviously seen something they like in the big man from Miami Fl.

8. Todd Christensen TE (Los Angeles Rams)
They'll be a few raised eyebrows at drafting a TE with a top ten pick but Christensen is a fine athlete and the Rams currently have a major hole at this position. It's starting to look like there is going to be some unexpected defensive talent available in the middle of the round.

9. Mosi Tatupu RB (New Orleans Saints)
After taking a chance with Firestone, the Saints play it safe with their 2nd pick of the day and draft RB Tatupu. Looks like New Orleans are calling time on the killer bees.

10. Doug Williams QB (Houston Texans)
Having grabbed Bob Lee for the here and now in free agency, the Texans draft Williams for the future. We're surprised they didn't go for help on the OL but it's hard to argue that Williams isn't value at this stage in the draft.

11. Bill Gay DE (Buffalo Bills)
With the luxury of having no major holes to fill, the Bills take the best player available in Southern Cal DE Bill Gay. We think it's fair to say that with Randy White, Rubin Carter and now Gay on the roster, the Bills won't be needing to worry about their defensive line until the mid-eighties or so.

12. Ozzie Newsome TE (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
With Williams and the top 3 receivers gone, we're guessing Tampa were down to at least No 5 on their draft board. Newsome will give Griese at least one decent target to aim for this year.

13. Eric Smith T (Miami Dolphins)
Smith looks to be a steal at this stage of the draft and fills a big area of need for the Dolphins.

14. Estus Hood CB (Washington Redskins)
As expected, the Redskins to look to bolster their secondary by selecting Illinois corner Estus Hood. He'll be expected to make an immediate impact in his first year.

At this point, I'm starting to think that I just might have a decision on my hands. Harrison, the top rated DT, is dropping like a rock in my direction unexpectedly.

15. Terry Jackson CB (Kansas City Chiefs)
Trading down looks like a good move for the Chiefs as they would have missed out on Lofton, Jackson and Jefferson. Their real priority is to build their secondary and so step forward Terry Jackson.

16. Andy Kelley RB (Denver Broncos)
One thing is for sure is that Kelley will get every chance to shine at the run-happy Broncos. Time will tell if he can convet his great physical attributes into hard yards

17. J.J. Kiss OLB (Seattle Seahawks)
As predicted by Cub Reporter, the Seahawks strengthen their linebacking corps with the addition of pass rushing specialist Kiss. That's three right from the last four for Cubbie just in case you're counting.

18. Doug Colon DE (New England Patriots)
Facing Payton and Simpson twice a year means the Patriots need to be able to stop the run. Colon fits the bill nicely and should start in his rookie season.

19. Gerald Small CB (Atlanta Falcons)
After their off-season clear-out of the defense, the Falcons start the rebuilding job with San Jose St corner Gerald Small.

Oh my...Kripper made it to #20 but so did Harrison! I now have to completely rework my draft strategy but I just can't pass up the #5 rated player in the draft, especially in a position of huge need.

20. Dennis Harrison DT (St. Louis Cardinals)

The Cardinals won't be able to believe their luck that they could pick up Harrison here. The need help on the D-Line and picking up the draft's top rated DT is a great bit of business.

Now, I could only hope that Kripper would drop into the second round and then, maybe, I could trade up for a shot at him. Lets look at the rest of the first round.

21. Dennis Thurman S (Kansas City Chiefs)
With their second pick of the day, KC land the drafts top-rated safety. Probably won't start this year but the Chiefs secondary looks a lot stronger after todays selections.

22. Brent Watson T (Pittsburgh Steelers)
Solid pick for the Steelers as they look to fill a hole on the right hand side of their line. Watson looks excellent value at this stage of the proceedings.

23. Archie Wells T (Indianapolis Colts)
Could have gone a lot higher but for a poor combine. The Colts will be hoping that Wells is smart enough to make up for any physical shortcomings.

24. Ray Griffin CB (Cleveland Browns)
The Browns secondary is starting to look a bit old and so they draft in young blood in the form of Ray Griffin. Griffin didn't excel at the combine and this could be considered a bit of a risk at this stage of the draft. Cornerbacks are starting to look thin on the ground as we approach the end of the round.

25. Daryl Glenn DT (Detroit Lions)
Solid pick for the Lions. Glenn should eventually start alongside Fanning to give the Lions plenty of strength on the inside of the D-Line.

26. Alan Martinez CB (Detroit Lions)
The Lions take the 5th cornerback of the 1st round by selecting Martinez. Like Griffin, Martinez is a bit of a reach at this stage but if the Lions had there heart set on a CB he's probably the best of what's left.

I was personally hoping Martinez would drop into the second round...I had my eye on him and scouts loved him.

27. Kurt Farris QB (Chicago Bears)
Farris falls all the way to 27 and the Chicago Bears. Bit of a surprise selection but we're guessing the Bears probably wanted one of five cornerbacks taken in last 10 or so picks. Farris will have time to learn his trade backing up Livingstone.

28. Jack Roberson DT (Philadelphia Eagles)
The Eagles don't have a lot of depth at DT and so Roberson looks like a good fit for them.

29. Martin Kripper WR (San Diego Chargers)
After the early run on recievers, Kripper lasts all the way until near the end of the round. The Chargers will be delighted to have landed someone of his quality to eventually take over from Taylor.

DAMN IT! The drop-off in talent between Kripper, the fourth ranked wideout in the draft and the fifth guy is off-the-charts. Not good...I really wanted a fast flanker in this draft and they are all gone.

30. Terry Miller RB (San Francisco 49ers)
As expected the niners go for Terry Miller. With great hands, Miller looks like a perfect fit for the Anderson-led offense.

31. Art Still DE (Green Bay Packers)
The Packers will be delighted to land Still here. He outperformed both Colin (1.18)and Firestone (1.7) in the combine and looks to be a player with plenty of upside potential

32. Clay Matthews OLB (Baltimore Ravens)
There was always a chance that Matthews could sneak into the 1st round and with a strong roster the Ravens can afford to take a chance on him. Could be a steal.

So there is the first round. I'd have to rework my strategy for the next six rounds - I had hoped to take an offensive player in the first two rounds but now there was really no one left that was worthy of a second round pick. It would have to be a defensive guy and I was going to look at either a defensive end or a corner.

I'll have a post with the rest of my draft tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I was definitely looking to fill a starter's slot with my second round pick and was hoping that either a suitable defensive end or a corner fell to me.

The first shocker was center Blair Bush going with the 34th overall pick...I really hoped that the combine holdout would drop to the third round. Therefore, I now had to look at Jim Hough, the top-rated center in the draft
for my pick.

The only decent end was Al Baker and he went 42nd overall to Atlanta. So my pick, the 51st in the draft came down to Hough or cornerback Blaine Sanford, the sixth rated corner in the draft.

2nd Round (51st Overall): CB Blaine Sanford, Oklahoma - St. Louis Cardinals
Sanford had great bars and was solid in the combine, with above average scores in every category but not quite AAA level. I'm a bit worried about his endurance rating and he's the greenest of the top corner candidates but he should be a good one.

As the second round turned to the third, I kept watching Hough get passed over by every team. Could he possibly fall to me in the third?

Umm, no. Narcizo's Baltimore Ravens, the defending HFL champs, scooped him up three picks before my selection so it was back to the drawing board. I decided to go with offense and a possible playmaker with my third rounder.

3rd Round (84th Overall): RB Ricky Patton, Jackson State - St. Louis
I went off the board a bit with this selection, as Patton was the 17th rated running back in the draft. However, he had an intriguing combine, almost a 'AAA', just falling short by being right on the average in the agility test. He notched the best 40-time (4.50) among backs and annihilated his peers in the strength test, raising the bar 27 times, 5 more than the second placed Earl Campbell. Fastest & strongest back? Not bad at this stage of the draft. His bars looked solid in the 'Breakaway Speed' and 'Power Inside' areas but looked weak in pass receiving. That's okay by me, as I don't plan on using my backs much in the passing game. Could be a steal but we'll see how he looks after camp.

I set my targets on another defensive prospect in the fourth round and was lucky enough to have him fall to me.

4th Round (115th Overall): NT Henry Bradley, Alcorn State - St. Louis
Bradley, the 7th rated defensive tackle in the draft, is a 6'6" 286lb monster who just happened to run a scintillating 4.73 40!!! Easily the fastest defensive lineman in the draft and the second strongest as well, falling only one rep short of Dennis Harrison, my first round pick. I'm hoping Bradley can make the transition to defensive end and be effective as a pass rusher.

I had two fifth round picks and I had my heart set on Missouri linebacker Everett Preston, one of the last 'AAA' combine guys left in the draft. However, he got scooped up by Carolina early in the round so I went with another middle linebacker who was rated higher by the bureau.

5th Round (148th Overall): MLB Darnell Barton, Mississippi State - St. Louis
Barton was the 7th rated middle linebacker in the draft. His bars looked decent and he had an above average combine but nothing spectacular. I did like his score in the Solecismic, however, as he garnered the top score among his peers at MLB. If nothing else, he should be a contributor on special teams.

I was desperate for wideout help so I went with the top combine guy remaining.

5th Round (156th Overall): WR Jessie Thompson, California - St. Louis
Thompson actually had a 'AAA' combine, notching the 2nd best agility score in addition to being above average in the 40 and the strength test. However, my scout doesn't really care for him at all and he doesn't seem to possess the bars that fit in with the downfield attacking offense we want to run.

I knew exactly who I was going to pick with my sixth round selection before the draft even started. He is a big-name player in real life but didn't participate in the combine and was ranked near the bottom of his position class by the bureau. I figured someone might snap him up in the seventh round so I fully intended to snag him myself in the sixth.

6th Round (179th Overall): WR Wes Chandler, Florida - St. Louis

Terrible bars but good intangibles (high Solecismic, leadership, loyalty), I figured I'd take a shot and hope he comes through. A big reach but immediately after picking him, a couple guys noted it in the forum, saying they WERE going to take a flyer on him in the seventh. We'll see if he makes the lineup.

I was able to also get the guy I wanted in the seventh, a green but intriguing center.

7th Round (212th Overall): C Dustin Vance, North Carolina - St. Louis
Highest Solecismic in the entire draft with a score of 53 and his bars look great. He was only ranked 13th by the bureau, however, and isn't developed at all. A project.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with my draft but really wished I had the chance of getting an offensive playmaker. I guess I did with Kripper but Harrison was too good to pass up.

He better turn out to be decent!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #26
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cardinals GM Comes Through in Draft; Nab DT Harrison

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
April 29, 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

The St. Louis Cardinals haven't had a lot of success this offseason in luring big-name free agents to the club.

However, it looks as if things have started to swing the other way after a solid looking first draft from rookie GM NoSkillz.

The Cards had a few glaring holes going into yesterday's entry draft, especially on the defensive line. That need was addressed when the #5 rated prospect in the draft, Vanderbilt defensive tackle Dennis Harrison fell right into their lap at the #20 slot.

The 6'3" 280lb 1977 First Team All-SEC player was also an academic standout at Vanderbilt and will get every chance at starting this season for the Cardinals.

"We're thrilled to have Dennis wearing Cardinal red this season", NoSkillz offered. "We certainly had a void in the middle of our defense and to get someone of Harrison's pedigree at the 20 slot was a surprise to say the least."

Harrison had a fantastic combine but scouts are a bit leery about his pass rushing technique and endurance, a possible reason for the drop out of the top ten.

The GM isn't worried.

"Dennis is a tremendous athlete and has every intangible you look for in a player - great leadership skills, unbelievably intelligent and an infectious personality."

"He will be a big star here in St. Louis."

The Cards took Oklahoma cornerback Blaine Sanford with their second round pick. The 5'10" 189lb Sanford had a good combine and scouts like his diagnostic and ball-hawking skills. He was the sixth-rated corner in the draft.

"We really looked at getting excellent athletes in this draft and Blaine fits the bill", NoSkillz said.

The Cards took the unheralded Ricky Patton in the third round, a Jackson State running back who wasn't highly regarded coming into the draft.

However, Patton was a standout in the combines, posting the fastest 40 time (4.50) and also destroying his peers in the strength tests (27 reps, 5 more than the second placed Earl Campbell).

"Some may look at this as a reach but we strongly believe in Patton's big-play abilities and his overall skill level. Watch out for this kid...he may just surprise", the GM indicated.

Here are the rest of the Cardinals selections in the 1978 draft:

- Henry Bradley, NT, Alcorn State, 6'6" 286lbs - Fourth Round Pick
Another combine standout, the huge Alcorn State nose tackle posted the fastest 40 time among all defensive linemen (4.73) and was just behind Harrison in the strength test. Bradley may be asked to move to defensive end to better take advantage of his speed and size and has the talent to make the transition.

- Darnell Barton, MLB, Mississippi State, 6'2" 243lbs - Fifth Round Pick
Barton had a solid combine and scouts rave about his intelligence and play diagnosis skills. Should be a special teams force at the very least.

- Jessie Thompson, WR, California, 6'2" 212lbs - Fifth Round Pick
Thompson also was selected on the basis of his combine, where he posted the second best score in the agility test and was an above average performer in the other tests. Scouts aren't sold on his abilities and his skill set doesn't seem well suited for the offense St. Louis plans to install.

- Wes Chandler, WR, Florida, 6'5" 220lbs - Sixth Round Pick
A huge reach. Chandler was a combine non-participant and scouts just don't think he has the ability to play in the league. Did well in the intelligence tests and has the size and intangibles but he has a lot to prove to justify getting drafted.

- Dustin Vance, C, North Carolina, 6'4" 337lbs - Seventh Round Pick
Vance posted the highest score in the intelligence test among all potential draftees and scouts seem to think he's extremely underrated. The bureau disagrees, however, and rated him 13th among centers in the draft. He's very green and it's unlikely that the Cards will have the patience to wait it out until he becomes a useful player.

In other news, the Cardinals announced a number of additional free agent signings:

- OG Chuck Hutchinson, 30 years old, 6'2" 262lbs (from New Orleans Saints)
- C Ed Flanagan, 33 years old, 6'3" 286lbs (from Jacksonville Jaguars)
- C Clyde Stevenson, 31 years old, 6'1" 254lbs (from Denver Broncos)
- WR Marlin Briscoe, 30 years old, 5'10" 178lbs (from San Diego Chargers)
- DT Jerry Rush, 35 years old, 6'2" 262lbs (from Kansas City Chiefs)
- QB Kent Nix, 34 years old, 6'2" 223lbs (from New Orleans Saints)

Flanagan comes into camp with the starting center job to lose. Briscoe may see time opposite John Stallworth due to his big-play abilities, something coach Walt Grabowski was looking for in the offseason. Nix will backup new Cards starter Frank Patrick. Stevenson and Hutchinson are depth acquisitions.

The biggest gamble was on Rush, a standout defensive tackle througout his career but he is currently nursing an MCL injury and may not play at all this season.

"It's a low-risk pickup as far as we're concerned", indicated NoSkillz. "If he plays, it's a bonus - he's immensely talented and we felt it was worth the money, as we have a bunch of cap space that would have gone to waste anyway."

NoSkillz also remarked that his leadership and mentoring skills would be put to great use with new draftees Harrison and Bradley.

The Cardinals also resigned middle linebacker Doug Allen and defensive tackle Manny Fernandez, who was cut by the Atlanta Falcons almost immediately after the Cards picked up a fifth round pick for him in a trade between the two clubs.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #27
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

6th Round (179th Overall): WR Wes Chandler, Florida - St. Louis

Terrible bars but good intangibles (high Solecismic, leadership, loyalty), I figured I'd take a shot and hope he comes through. A big reach but immediately after picking him, a couple guys noted it in the forum, saying they WERE going to take a flyer on him in the seventh. We'll see if he makes the lineup.

I was going to take him in the 6th as I fully expected Chargers GM/fan 3ric to take him in the 7th. Sometimes I wish I wasn't the Ravens as there's no players I "ought" to have on my team. Unless you buy the argument that the Ravens are "really" the only Baltimore team and should get the stats and players of the Colts pre-move. Or you consider the Ravens to be the Browns, meaning I should have gone all out for Ozzie Newsome.

Honestly I'd rather have started as the Charlottesville Hornets or something. Well, apart from the fact that the winged shield is a pretty cool logo. So I'm alright until we change to the purple emu. In about 6 years time (real time).

Last edited by Narcizo : 03-09-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #28
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Here is how the rookies looked after the draft:

DT Dennis Harrison - 32/41
CB Blaine Sanford - 26/62
RB Ricky Patton - 30/47
DT Henry Bradley - 29/42 *
MLB Darnell Barton - 28/41
WR Jessie Thompson - 18/30
WR Wes Chandler - 16/30
C Dustin Vance - 13/52

I'm not really surprised about Harrison and hold out hope that the ratings can be attributed to scout error. His combine was fantastic and his bars don't seem to be where they should based on his results. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sanford looks solid but I expect his numbers to come down a bit after camp - his combine wasn't spectacular by any means so I expect a correction.

Patton is an interesting one. His speed and inside running bars are fantastic so I expect him to perform better than his ratings. His hole recognition and receiving skills are low, as is his endurance.

I asterisked Bradley, as he improved 1 current when I changed his position to defensive end.

Barton has a major conflict with our leader up front so I don't know if we're going to keep him around. Thompson and Chandler look pretty pathetic and Vance looks like a decent prospect but a bit too green to amount to anything.

TRAINING CAMP:

20 players are asked to bulk up before training camp, including new quarterback Frank Patrick. This guy is currently rated 69/69 and has all the attributes you look for in a pivot but he just can't stay healthy. At 6'4" and about 200lbs, maybe he needs a bit of weight to withstand the hits. I hope so...

9 players are asked to trim down before camp, including my fat-ass kicker, a former first round pick who has a big leg but can't hit the broad side of a barn (Janikowski?).

For camp, I devote extra time to the weight room, pass plays and defense while I trim some time off film & playbook and 'team bonding' functions. The QB is already well-versed in most formations and the team cohesion is high enough.

We're not here for fun and games gentlemen!

Let's see how the rookies fared after camp:

POST TRAINING CAMP NUMBERS:

DT Dennis Harrison - 36/45 (+4/+4)
CB Blaine Sanford - 28/58 (+2/-4)
RB Ricky Patton - 30/46 (0/-1)
DT Henry Bradley - 30/40 (+1/-2)
MLB Darnell Barton - 43/52 (+15/+11)
WR Jessie Thompson - 21/31 (+3/+1)
WR Wes Chandler - 19/31 (+3/+1)
C Dustin Vance - 14/46 (+1/-6)

I'm pleased with Harrison's progress and continue to hold out hope that he will continue his slow upward trajectory. Sanford, Patton and Bradley remain pretty close to their initial numbers.

Looks like I found my first boomer with Barton. Conflict be damned, the kid will be sticking around and may have forced himself into the lineup. To do so, I'd have to consider changing to a 3-4 defense, as the incumbent middle linebacker isn't going anywhere. Nice development though for the Mississippi State grad!

Thompson and Chandler both see nice little increases as well and just might stick around as fourth or fifth receivers. Neither brings anything to the table on special teams or in the return game though.

The expected correction on Vance takes place.

Among other players, it's some good, some bad. Patrick gains nine pounds after his offseason training and also goes +2/+2 to hit 71/71. Nice stuff from the eight year vet.

My incumbent back, Eddie Ray, continues to drop like a rock down to 35/35 (-6/-6). The starting TE, Bob Tucker, also drops to 54/54 (-8/-8).

Thankfully, there's no change with Stallworth (61/61) because his running mate Ron Sellers drops to 29/29 (-10/-10) and is out of my starting lineup.

On the offensive line, main man Levert Carr drops to 83/83 (-4/-4) but that's manageable. We see a nice gain from 10th year LT Mike Wilson, who improves to 62/62 (+5/+5).

On defense, my top end Harry Gunner drops to 48/48 (-6/-6) and super dud Jack Youngblood drops off the face of the earth to 33/34 (-11/-11). BUSTO! One of my young tackles, third year man Keith Simons moves up to 38/48 (+3/+1).

My top corner Charlie Waters drops to 53/53 (-6/-6) but everyone else pretty much stays intact.

I've got 64 guys in camp right now and have to cut down to sixty before my first preseason game, which takes place in week two. I also realize I will need to sign a return specialist, as the guys I have in camp just aren't good enough.

A good return guy will be important, as I may have trouble moving the ball this year due to lack of playmaking talent.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #29
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Youngsters Impress as Cards Close Camp

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
August 1, 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

The St. Louis Cardinals veterans have their work cut out for them this season.

Many of the rookies and youngsters on the football team's roster are making strong bids for starting positions, something that is music to the ears of rookie GM NoSkillz.

"We knew things were going to be competitive with 64 guys attending camp", he said. "However, I can't say I ever would have guessed so many of them would have a shot at starting right out of the gate."

The Post-Dispatch has been keeping a close eye on all of the developments in training camp and broke everything down by position.

QUARTERBACK -
Newcomer Frank Patrick, going into his ninth year, came into camp in tremendous shape after putting on 8 pounds of muscle after a rigorous offseason training program. The club feels the extra weight will help the brittle Patrick absorb more punishment in the pocket. He has looked very sharp and is even better than advertised.

Veteran Kent Nix and sophomore Nicky Guillen will backup Patrick. The club is disappointed in the lack of progress shown by Guillen.

RUNNING BACK -
The race for the starting halfback position is wide open. Incumbent Eddie Ray, who rushed for over 1000 yards last year, had a horrible camp and looks much older than his 29 years. Rookie Ricky Patton is turning heads in camp with his tremendous speed and power but endurance will likely be an issue, as he's never been asked to carry the full load in college at Jackson State. Also in the mix is sophomore Clarence Williams and fourth-year man Arnold Weber but neither of those two own the physical attributes possessed by Patton. All four will get their touches in preseason.

FULLBACK -
Free agent acquistion George Amundson will start this year but likely won't see a lot of time, as the team plans to utilize a lot of single back formations. Clem Turner is one of the locker room leaders and will back up Amundson while undrafted rookie Jessie Stamm is in tough to make the roster.

TIGHT END -
The Cards leading receiver last year was tight end Bob Tucker and he returns for his ninth season. He's a strong blocker and will be asked to take some pressure off Stallworth in the receiving game. Jack Funk and Sean Stemke provide solid support.

WIDE RECEIVER -
John Stallworth couldn't be more excited about the guy who is throwing to him. We don't think he'll be as happy about the constant double-teams he will have to endure this year. After gaining 9 pounds of muscle, Stallworth is poised for a breakout campaign. The 31-year old Ron Sellers isn't having a good camp and doesn't fit in with the new offensive schemes being implemented. There is a good chance he won't be starting this year. Rookies Wes Chandler and Jessie Thompson are still quite green and it's difficult to see them making much of an impact this year, although both are having solid camps. Randy Burke has been decent in camp and will likely stick. Vincent Ketchum, Marlin Briscoe and Glenn Alexander all look the same to us - disposable.

EDIT: NoSkillz announced that he just completed a trade with the defending HFL champions that will see former first round pick Allen Dunbar come to St. Louis for Offensive Guard Chuck Hutchinson. Dunbar will have a good chance at starting opposite Stallworth.

OFFENSIVE LINE -
A solid unit returns almost completely intact. LG Levert Carr is the leader of a fine group that includes Bill Bain, Rick Sharp and Mike Wilson, who's been extremely impressive in camp. Ed Flanagan was signed as a free agent and will start at center. Depth is an issue on the line, however. Rookie Dustin Vance, fellow center Clyde Stevenson, G Jackie Glode, rookie guard Walt Wooley and tackle Kelvin Prior are all inexperienced and would have difficulty filling the shoes of their much more accomplished teammates in case of injury.

DEFENSIVE LINE -
Harry Gunner returns to lead a revamped line. He's now 33 years old and starting to look the part. Rookie Henry Bradley will be given every chance to start this year after making the transition to end from tackle. He's had an solid but unspectacular camp. #1 pick Dennis Harrison is still an unknown quantity in many respects but he is improving every day in every facet of the game, something the coaches are thrilled with. He will start at tackle. There is plenty of depth here, with Manny Fernandez, Bob Juchartz and Keith Simons providing cover. The injured Jerry Rush will likely be cut or placed on injured reserve. There are too many ends in camp so expect at least one or two to be cut. Jack Youngblood has looked entirely out of place and may be the ultimate victim. Junior Johnson just isn't progressing after being picked in the third round last year. Fernando Harrison (no relation to Dennis) was signed to help tutor Bradley so he'll stay. The team also has veteran pass-rush specialist John Farley and rookie Larry Bethea in camp.

LINEBACKERS -
Lots of interesting news here. All-HFL First Teamer Ross Brupbacher has been moved to the strong side to open up a spot for last year's first round pick Terry Beeson, who made the move to WLB from the middle in the summer league. Beeson has been extremely impressive in camp and is starting to finally fulfill some of the promise of being a 9th overall selection. Ron Pritchard has taken Beeson under his wing and been a very positive factor in the youngster's evolution this summer. The best story in camp, however, is rookie Darnell Barton, St. Louis' fifth round pick. He has been absolutely tremendous and may have singlehandedly forced coach Wade Grabowski's hand in going to a 3-4 just to get him in the lineup. One thing to watch, however, is the fact that some animosity has built up between the brash young Barton and veteran lineman Harry Gunner. Recent pickup Dick Cunningham was brought in to help Barton and his transition to the pros and the coaches hope he can help mend the fued with the team's leader up front. Fellow middle linebacker Tim Rossovich also returns. Last year's starting WLB, K.C. O'Donnell, has been terrible in camp and may get cut. Doug Allen has impressed at MLB and provides excellent depth.

SECONDARY -
This is one of the strengths of the team. The safeties, Ike Thomas and Nate Wright are among the top tandems in the league. Backup Louie Wright is a former first rounder who could start on many teams and is only in his fourth year. Rookie Luther Bradley and veteran Jim Ferguson will fight for another spot. At corner, Charlie Waters returns for his 9th season and will likely be joined by rookie Blaine Sanford, who has looked fine in camp. Dusty Hartman, Jim Thrower and Ethan Heupel provide capable support.

KICKING -
No changes here, as 1975 First Round pick Steve Mayer returns for placekicking duties. He was asked to get into better shape before camp and obliged, losing 11 pounds. The team hopes his accuracy improves in '78. Veteran punter Bobby Walden also returns.

There could be as many as four rookies starting on defense this year: Harrison, Bradley, Barton and Sanford. In reality, it's almost five, as Beeson really didn't even play last year.

On offense, the team will look for someone other than Stallworth to provide the big plays needed in order to compete in the NFC this year.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 03-12-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #30
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Our first preseason game and my first ever multiplayer game is in the books and we go down to defeat, losing 27-13 to Kansas City.

The result doesn't have me upset but injuries do. But first, the box score:

Exhibition Week 2, 1978

played in St. Louis, MO
55 degrees, fair, calm

Kansas City Chiefs73710-27
St. Louis Cardinals01300-13

Scoring Summary
1Q: 05:08 KCY - Kurt Dougan 9 fumble return (Jim Breech extra point)
2Q: 11:34 STL - Steve Mayer 35 field goal
2Q: 07:32 STL - Steve Mayer 41 field goal
2Q: 04:26 KCY - Jim Breech 20 field goal
2Q: 01:04 STL - Jessie Thompson 5 pass from Kent Nix (Steve Mayer extra point)
3Q: 11:47 KCY - Dennis Pearson 30 pass from Dick Shiner (Jim Breech extra point)
4Q: 05:27 KCY - Luther Blue 23 pass from Dick Shiner (Jim Breech extra point)
4Q: 00:14 KCY - Jim Breech 54 field goal

Team StatisticsKCYSTL
Record1-00-1
First Downs2216
- by Rushing56
- by Passing1410
- by Penalty30
Total Net Yards349347
- Offensive Plays6663
- Yards per Play5.295.51
Net Rushing Yards113183
- Rushing Attempts3226
- Yards per Rush3.537.04
Net Passing Yards236164
- Att./Comp./Intrcpt32 - 21 - 133 - 16 - 0
- Gross Passing Yards246188
- Sacks/Yards Lost2/104/24
- Yards per Pass Play6.944.43
Fumbles/Lost3/01/0
3rd Down Conversions6/136/16
- Avg. YtG on 3rd Down5.57.6
4th Down Conversions0/00/2
Penalties/Yards6/529/89
Punt Returns/Yards3/371/3
Kick Returns/Yards2/432/37
Interception Ret./Yards0/01/13
2pt Conversions0/00/0
Red Zone Visits32
- Red Zone TDs/FGs1/11/1
Avg. Drive StartOWN 35OWN 21
Time of Possession32:4227:18

Game MVP: Stan Herrin, Kansas City Chiefs

Rushing Statistics

Kansas CityAttYardsAvgLG10+TD
Mario Cage17643.761410
Casey Jorgenson13433.311210
Dick Shiner263.00700
St. LouisAttYardsAvgLG10+TD
Ricky Patton13705.383220
Eddie Ray121068.836520
Arnold Weber177.00700

Passing Statistics

Kansas CityAttCompYardsSk/YdTDLGIntRate
Dick Shiner17111541/52301108.4
Ken Stabler1510921/5021083.2
St. LouisAttCompYardsSk/YdTDLGIntRate
Kent Nix29131544/24122073.0
Frank Patrick43340/00180100.0

Receiving Statistics

Kansas CityCatchTargYardsAvgYACLGTD
WR Keith Wright677212.006210
WR Dennis Pearson595410.801301
WR Mel Gray464310.750280
WR Luther Blue345719.000231
RB Mario Cage23126.00060
TE Henry Childs1288.00280
TE Ray Ogden0100.00000
St. LouisCatchTargYardsAvgYACLGTD
WR Jessie Thompson4106315.7514221
WR Wes Chandler34268.670140
RB Arnold Weber222311.504150
RB Ricky Patton222512.500210
RB Eddie Ray1155.00050
WR Allen Dunbar132222.000220
FB George Amundson1111.00010
WR John Stallworth131212.000120
WR Eddie Foster141111.002110
TE Bob Tucker0200.00000
TE Sean Stemke0100.00000

Interception Statistics

Kansas CityIntsYardsAvgTD
St. LouisIntsYardsAvgTD
ILB Darnell Barton11313.000

Fumble Statistics

Kansas CityFumbRecovForceTD
Ken Stabler1000
Dick Shiner1000
Keith Wright1000
Kurt Dougan0201
Joey Hodges0100
Rufus Schreiner0010
St. LouisFumbRecovForceTD
Kent Nix1000
Kelvin Prior0100
Bob Juchartz0010
Terry Beeson0010
Blaine Sanford0010

Punting Statistics

Kansas CityPuntYardsAvgNetLGIn20
Marv Bateman418446.040.3523
St. LouisPuntYardsAvgNetLGIn20
Bobby Walden624240.330.8592

Kicking Statistics

Kansas CityFGs40+Yd50+YdLGPAT
Jim Breech2/31/21/2543/3
St. LouisFGs40+Yd50+YdLGPAT
Steve Mayer2/21/10/0411/1

Punt Return Statistics

Kansas CityRetYardsAvgTD
Ernie Jones22412.00
Brenden Sammons11313.00
St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Dusty Hartman133.00

Kick Return Statistics

Kansas CityRetYardsAvgTD
Bob Howard12222.00
Mario Cage12121.00
St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Eddie Foster23718.50

Defensive Statistics

Kansas CityTackAsstSackRPlayPPlay
ILB Norman Carlton511.01521
DE Steve Furness500.02028
CB Terry Jackson411.01427
ILB Rufus Schreiner410.51212
CB Brenden Sammons410.01424
DT Willie Lee320.02126
CB Ernie Jones310.01213
OLB Jim Fulton300.01522
DE Stan Herrin211.02130
CB T.J. Stokes210.01210
ILB John Pergine200.01216
OLB John Neidert200.01419
CB Bob Howard200.01526
OLB Paul Harris120.51523
DT George Wright110.069
OLB Ed Mooney100.01517
S Ron Gardin100.01424
WR Dennis Pearson10---------
S Johnny Peacock010.01020
DT Sylvester Hicks010.0611
St. LouisTackAsstSackRPlayPPlay
ILB Darnell Barton720.02929
DT Bob Juchartz511.01918
S Ike Thomas520.01415
ILB Tim Rossovich320.01417
S Nate Wright320.01616
DT Dennis Harrison320.02319
OLB Ron Pritchard310.02221
CB Dusty Hartman310.01820
DE Jack Youngblood300.01416
S Louie Wright300.01919
OLB Terry Beeson221.01718
DE Harry Gunner200.01614
DE John Farley200.01620
CB Blaine Sanford200.01414
CB Charlie Waters110.01111
S Luther Bradley110.01618
CB Jim Thrower100.02428
ILB Doug Allen100.02420
DT Keith Simons100.0915
DE Henry Bradley100.01316

Pass Rush Statistics

Kansas CitySackBlockHurryKnockPPlay
DE Stan Herrin1.003030
ILB Norman Carlton1.000021
CB Terry Jackson1.000027
ILB Rufus Schreiner0.502012
OLB Paul Harris0.502023
DE Steve Furness0.010028
DT Willie Lee0.010026
DT Sylvester Hicks0.010011
DT George Wright0.00109
St. LouisSackBlockHurryKnockPPlay
OLB Terry Beeson1.001018
DT Bob Juchartz1.000018
DE John Farley0.011020
DE Jack Youngblood0.002016
OLB Ron Pritchard0.000121
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #31
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

So we lose the game but more importantly lost our All-HFL 1st Team linebacker Ross Brupbacher for 7 weeks with a broken tibia. We also lost rookie defensive end Henry Bradley for the season - he's gone 20 weeks with a ruptured achilles. I had plans on him starting too.

How about a quick, Good/Bad analysis of my first EVER FOF contest -

GOOD:
- QB Frank Patrick didn't get hurt I only played him for two series and he went 4/5.
- My running game was really, really good, even with my marginal backs. Both Eddie Ray (12 carries 106 yards) and rookie third round pick Ricky Patton (13 carries 70 yards) broke big runs. As a team, we rushed for 183 yards and over 7 yards/carry.
- Fifth round pick and monster boomer Darnell Barton had a huge game, with 7 tackles, 2 assists and an interception. He was all over the field on Solevision and was blitzing like crazy from the inside. I don't know how I can keep him off the field come regular season.
- OLB Terry Beeson, our '77 first round pick, looked solid in his first real action since moving from ILB with 2 tackles, 2 assists, a sack and a hurry.
- '78 First round pick DT Dennis Harrison had three tackles and 2 assists.

BAD:
- Backup QB Kent Nix was pretty brutal but my backup linemen did him no favours, as he was sacked 4 times and hurried 8 more.
- My running in the red zone was awful. Got to get tougher in that area.
- We allowed their second team offense a lot of big plays and took a few careless penalties, including a couple pass interference calls that gave them great field position.
- We really seemed to be blitzing too much and their QB took advantage with a lot of short passes. Is there a screen that controls the amount you blitz or is that all dependent on down and distance??

All in all, I'm not too disappointed in the result. KC played a pretty solid game and I just couldn't take advantage of the times they put the ball on the ground - heck, they even recovered one of their own fumbles and returned it for a TD early in the game.

Next preseason game I'll likely play Patrick for about a quarter or so to get him into a bit of a groove. I have some gameplan tweaking to do on both sides but moreso on the defensive side. I played a 3-4 this week but with the injury to Brupbacher, I may have to revert back to a 4-3...we'll see.

I have a lot of gameplan tweaking to do. I also will need to pickup another linebacker in the depleted free agency market, as I also lost depth OLB Ron Prichard for about five weeks.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #32
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I also have the grand ambition of doing an 'HFL 1978 Season Preview', similar to what IHOF has done in the past. They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery so I hope there is no one offended if I complete the task. I believe it will help get people interested about our great league and it will also help me learn about all of the other teams and their players.

Well, it's not a pipe dream anymore.

It took about a month of work but I finally finished the HFL's 1978 Yearbook, a 68 page (!) preview filled with plenty of HFL goodness.

If any of you are interested, you can download the PDF from the HFL site right here.

A few of the HFL owners contributed articles so thanks to Narcizo, 3ric, Rams GM and Tarcone, along with the men on the HFL beat, Cub Reporter and Pub Reporter.

Pretty much a labour of love...somehow I'm still married after spending waaaaaaaaaay too many hours making that thing! My wife is a saint!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #33
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Exhibition Week 3, 1978

played in Miami, FL
94 degrees, fair, 2 mph wind

St. Louis Cardinals7300-10
Miami Dolphins01306-19
Scoring Summary
1Q: 08:46 STL - Eddie Ray 1 run (Steve Mayer extra point)
2Q: 14:37 MIA - Geoff Dotson 24 field goal
2Q: 09:00 MIA - Dave Casper 36 pass from Joe Ellis (Geoff Dotson extra point)
2Q: 01:54 STL - Steve Mayer 20 field goal
2Q: 00:14 MIA - Geoff Dotson 23 field goal
4Q: 03:32 MIA - Geoff Dotson 32 field goal
4Q: 01:25 MIA - Geoff Dotson 35 field goal

Team StatisticsSTLMIA
Record0-22-0
First Downs1320
- by Rushing49
- by Passing88
- by Penalty13
Total Net Yards164338
- Offensive Plays5567
- Yards per Play2.985.04
Net Rushing Yards65146
- Rushing Attempts2436
- Yards per Rush2.714.06
Net Passing Yards99192
- Att./Comp./Intrcpt26 - 13 - 231 - 20 - 1
- Gross Passing Yards142192
- Sacks/Yards Lost5/430/0
- Yards per Pass Play3.196.19
Fumbles/Lost2/00/0
3rd Down Conversions3/134/14
- Avg. YtG on 3rd Down8.78.6
4th Down Conversions0/10/0
Penalties/Yards8/528/102
Punt Returns/Yards2/133/14
Kick Returns/Yards5/1083/80
Interception Ret./Yards1/12/20
2pt Conversions0/00/0
Red Zone Visits24
- Red Zone TDs/FGs1/10/4
Avg. Drive StartOWN 25OWN 37
Time of Possession25:5734:03

Drive Charts

St. Louis Cardinals
QuarBeganPossFromPlaysYardsResult
112:093:31OWN 30870Touchdown
214:292:09OWN 283-6Punt
210:110:47OWN 2031Interception
28:442:32OWN 38411Punt
24:212:34OWN 28569Field Goal
20:090:09OWN 261-1Half
315:004:54OWN 91252Punt
38:514:23OWN 21720Punt
32:041:59OWN 3837Punt
410:131:10OWN 173-14Punt
43:251:19OWN 274-12Downs
41:190:42OWN 2230Interception
Miami Dolphins
115:002:51OWN 2338Punt
18:389:09OWN 271566Field Goal
212:202:09OPP 4931Punt
29:240:40OPP 37237Touchdown
26:121:51OWN 12513Punt
21:471:38OWN 37757Field Goal
310:061:15OWN 2038Punt
34:282:24OWN 11520Punt
30:054:52OWN 21169Interception
49:035:38OWN 47938Field Goal
42:060:47OPP 153-3Field Goal
40:370:37OPP 281-1Game
Game MVP: Geoff Dotson, Miami Dolphins

Rushing Statistics

Eddie Ray12524.331121
Ricky Patton9111.22700
Nicky Guillen320.67300
MiamiAttYardsAvgLG10+TD
Ed Shuttlesworth19774.051110
Ethan Connell16704.381220
John Stofa1-1-1.00-100
Passing Statistics

Nicky Guillen2010874/35018141.0
Frank Patrick63551/8024142.3
MiamiAttCompYardsSk/YdTDLGIntRate
Joe Ellis15111050/01360114.6
Steve Ramsey85640/0022087.5
John Stofa84230/0021116.7
Receiving Statistics

WR Herman Franklin6136811.331240
WR Wes Chandler354916.330180
TE Bob Tucker232010.000130
WR John Stallworth1344.00040
RB Ricky Patton1111.00010
WR Ron Sellers0100.00000
MiamiCatchTargYardsAvgYACLGTD
WR Bob Wallace67559.1724210
WR Stan Brown688013.3315220
RB Ed Shuttlesworth2221.00010
RB Ethan Connell2273.501170
WR Robbie McClinton26136.500100
FB Art Malone11-1-1.000-10
TE Dave Casper143636.0025361
TE Freddie Barreras0100.00000
Interception Statistics

St. LouisIntsYardsAvgTD
OLB Mike McGill111.000
MiamiIntsYardsAvgTD
CB Harris Harwood166.000
OLB Reggie Williams11414.000
Fumble Statistics

Nicky Guillen2100
Levert Carr0100
MiamiFumbRecovForceTD
Mark Mullaney0010
Bill Larrimore0010
Punting Statistics

Bobby Walden627045.039.3533
MiamiPuntYardsAvgNetLGIn20
Tom Skladany522945.839.2561
Kicking Statistics

Steve Mayer1/10/00/0201/1
MiamiFGs40+Yd50+YdLGPAT
Geoff Dotson4/40/00/0351/1
Punt Return Statistics

St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Herman Franklin2136.50
MiamiRetYardsAvgTD
Teddy Reese2105.00
Troy Allen144.00
Kick Return Statistics

St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Blaine Sanford49022.50
Ricky Patton11818.00
MiamiRetYardsAvgTD
Stan Brown38026.70
Defensive Statistics

S Nate Wright1030.02515
ILB Tim Rossovich630.02524
CB Charlie Waters510.02223
S Ike Thomas420.01212
ILB Dick Cunningham410.03123
DE John Farley400.01925
S Louie Wright300.02521
DE Harry Gunner220.01918
OLB Terry Beeson220.03126
OLB Mike McGill210.01218
ILB Doug Allen200.02614
DT Keith Simons200.01911
DE Junior Johnson200.01713
DT Dennis Harrison200.01720
S Luther Bradley130.01516
CB Jim Thrower110.02219
TE Bob Tucker10---------
DE Jack Youngblood100.0176
WR Wes Chandler10---------
CB Blaine Sanford100.02122
ILB Darnell Barton030.01611
MiamiTackAsstSackRPlayPPlay
S Gus Holloman510.01521
ILB Greg Bingham311.01417
CB Adam Kanu310.01214
S Pete Richardson300.01120
S Jim Bettis300.01116
OLB Reggie Williams300.01217
DE Bill Larrimore201.01523
DE Harold Exterovich200.575
ILB Fred Forsberg210.01012
CB Harris Harwood210.0925
OLB Bobby Hudson200.01214
CB Ricky Sanderson200.01219
OLB Wayne Meylan101.01314
DE Mark Mullaney101.01726
DT B.J. Starnes110.583
DT Kirk Booker110.077
DT Antoine Marts110.01724
CB Marcus Kramer110.01311
WR Stan Brown10---------
DT Phil Diggs100.01422
CB Troy Allen010.01712
Pass Rush Statistics

OLB Terry Beeson0.010026
DT Dennis Harrison0.003020
DT Keith Simons0.001011
MiamiSackBlockHurryKnockPPlay
DE Mark Mullaney1.001126
OLB Wayne Meylan1.000014
ILB Greg Bingham1.000017
DE Bill Larrimore1.000023
DT B.J. Starnes0.50003
DE Harold Exterovich0.50005
DT Kirk Booker0.00107
DE Charles Smith0.00108
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Needless to say, there is little to get excited about after my second preseason game.

Well, I didn't really incur any additional injuries so that's a plus.

My first team offense only played the first quarter and that only amounted to one series, as Miami did a good job holding onto the ball.

I'm not getting any pressure on the opposing quarterbacks with my 3-4 scheme and that will be a problem once I start playing against actual starters come the regular season.

Dolphins standouts Daryl Lamonica and Walter Payton were inactive for this game.

My offense was peutrid with Nicky Guillen at the helm and the running game fell to earth with a thud.

I think I've gotten a bit too complicated with my game planning and will need to simplify, start from scratch with defaults and make a couple tweaks.

My next preseason game is our third out of four and I intend to play my starters for about 2-3 quarters. This will be the litmus test game to see where we really stand going into the regular season, as I plan on playing backups in my last preseason game to avoid injury.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #35
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Damn, I was mentioned in the first post of your dynasty, then I proceed to drop out!

Anyway, good stuff. See you in the NFC Playoffs (I hope)!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #36
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Damn, I was mentioned in the first post of your dynasty, then I proceed to drop out!

Anyway, good stuff. See you in the NFC Playoffs (I hope)!

Yeah, it's great to have you back in the league. Now if we can just get MizzouRah to the front of the waiting list line we'd be on track.

I'm more in favour of bringing in owners that will contribute to the forums over there and Mizzou has more posts already than four current owners...and he's just on the waiting list!

I hope we'll be there in the playoffs with you - my team was under AI control for awhile as you know so I may be another year away. It doesn't help that I'm still trying to find my way in the gameplanning area but it will be a fun journey!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #37
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Week four of the preseason is upon us and our third game - as said earlier, this is the litmus test for our club, as I intend to utilize the projected starters for about three quarters.

Exhibition Week 4, 1978

played in St. Louis, MO

90 degrees, fair, calm

Oakland Raiders7300-10
St. Louis Cardinals07106-23
Scoring Summary
1Q: 01:03 OAK - Herman Jones 4 pass from Fran Tarkenton (Rusty Rogers extra point)
2Q: 05:23 STL - Herman Franklin 3 pass from Frank Patrick (Steve Mayer extra point)
2Q: 02:36 OAK - Rusty Rogers 43 field goal
3Q: 10:49 STL - Steve Mayer 40 field goal
3Q: 00:05 STL - Allen Dunbar 13 pass from Nicky Guillen (Steve Mayer extra point)
4Q: 09:25 STL - Steve Mayer 23 field goal
4Q: 02:29 STL - Steve Mayer 36 field goal

Team StatisticsOAKSTL
Record2-11-2
First Downs1322
- by Rushing35
- by Passing1014
- by Penalty03
Total Net Yards219349
- Offensive Plays5479
- Yards per Play4.064.42
Net Rushing Yards69105
- Rushing Attempts1443
- Yards per Rush4.932.44
Net Passing Yards150244
- Att./Comp./Intrcpt39 - 12 - 432 - 20 - 0
- Gross Passing Yards159270
- Sacks/Yards Lost1/94/26
- Yards per Pass Play3.756.78
Fumbles/Lost0/01/0
3rd Down Conversions2/1011/21
- Avg. YtG on 3rd Down9.76.7
4th Down Conversions0/21/1
Penalties/Yards5/355/35
Punt Returns/Yards0/02/10
Kick Returns/Yards4/712/41
Interception Ret./Yards0/04/8
2pt Conversions0/00/0
Red Zone Visits16
- Red Zone TDs/FGs1/02/3
Avg. Drive StartOWN 27OWN 43
Time of Possession18:4141:19

Drive Charts

Oakland Raiders
115:002:32OWN 20530Punt
18:170:28OWN 462-10Interception
15:414:45OWN 20980Touchdown
25:152:44OWN 31843Field Goal
20:130:13OWN 47216Half
310:441:13OWN 1834Punt
33:311:40OWN 303-4Interception
415:002:24OWN 12527Interception
49:181:25OWN 273-9Punt
45:240:42OWN 2340Downs
42:210:35OWN 2040Interception
41:111:11OWN 30622Game
St. Louis Cardinals
112:284:11OWN 2859Missed FG
17:492:08OPP 4732Punt
10:5610:41OWN 211979Touchdown
22:312:18OWN 20840Missed FG
315:004:16OWN 37840Field Goal
39:316:00OWN 411036Missed FG
31:511:51OPP 34634Touchdown
412:363:18OPP 41935Field Goal
47:532:29OWN 233-2Punt
44:422:21OPP 2334Field Goal
41:460:35OPP 2532Missed FG

Game MVP: Herman Franklin, St. Louis Cardinals

Rushing Statistics

OaklandAttYardsAvgLG10+TD
Chuck Muncie9535.891810
James Early5163.20900
Ricky Patton25562.24600
Eddie Ray16352.19900
Arnold Weber11010.001010
Nicky Guillen144.00400

Passing Statistics

OaklandAttCompYardsSk/YdTDLGIntRate
Colin Shields263471/902230.0
Fran Tarkenton1391120/0137189.2
Frank Patrick19121632/131440107.9
Nicky Guillen1381072/131240113.3

Receiving Statistics

OaklandCatchTargYardsAvgYACLGTD
WR J.D. Hill497619.0013370
WR Mike Brunson374414.670190
WR Herman Jones39268.670181
TE Bob Brown1433.00530
WR Frosty Anderson161010.000100
WR Ty LaRiche0100.00000
FB Larry Crowe0100.00000
RB Chuck Muncie0200.00000
WR Herman Franklin111516515.007441
WR Allen Dunbar353010.002141
TE Bob Tucker22178.501130
WR Wes Chandler243316.505200
RB Ricky Patton232512.500190
WR Eddie Foster0300.00000

Interception Statistics

OaklandIntsYardsAvgTD
St. LouisIntsYardsAvgTD
S Ike Thomas188.000
CB Dusty Hartman100.000
OLB Terry Beeson100.000
ILB Darnell Barton100.000

Fumble Statistics

OaklandFumbRecovForceTD
Frosty Anderson0010
Herman Franklin1000
Blaine Sanford0100

Punting Statistics

OaklandPuntYardsAvgNetLGIn20
Steve O'Neal315451.348.0642
Bobby Walden210150.540.5560

Kicking Statistics

OaklandFGs40+Yd50+YdLGPAT
Rusty Rogers1/11/10/0431/1
Steve Mayer3/71/50/2402/2

Punt Return Statistics

OaklandRetYardsAvgTD
St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Herman Franklin2105.00

Kick Return Statistics

OaklandRetYardsAvgTD
Frosty Anderson47117.80
St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Blaine Sanford24120.50

Defensive Statistics

OaklandTackAsstSackRPlayPPlay
OLB Ron Porter801.03021
S Les Fouse620.02121
S Dwight Harmon620.02425
DE Steve Chomyszak600.02215
OLB Dave Washington521.52424
ILB Al Andrews410.03427
CB Gary Green410.02425
OLB Richard Wood330.52627
DT Richard Bishop310.52828
DE Cedric Hardman300.0209
S Keith Simpson300.02519
ILB Junior Applegate300.02813
DE Louis Ross220.52824
ILB Ellis Daugherty250.02919
DE Larry Ball210.02327
CB Steve Tannen200.01912
CB Garry Lyle110.02829
DT Jay Burke110.095
TE Bob Brown10---------
WR Ty LaRiche10---------
WR Frosty Anderson10---------
WR Herman Jones10---------
S Nate Wright510.01135
OLB Terry Beeson300.01034
OLB Mike McGill211.0710
ILB Tim Rossovich220.01034
OLB Dave Nelson200.0916
DT Dennis Harrison200.01238
CB Blaine Sanford200.0329
ILB Darnell Barton200.01221
DE Harry Gunner120.01033
S Louie Wright120.0421
S Ike Thomas110.01033
DE John Farley100.01134
CB Dusty Hartman100.01111
S Luther Bradley100.035

Pass Rush Statistics

OaklandSackBlockHurryKnockPPlay
OLB Dave Washington1.501024
OLB Ron Porter1.002021
OLB Richard Wood0.510027
DE Louis Ross0.500024
DT Richard Bishop0.500028
ILB Al Andrews0.001227
OLB Mike McGill1.000010
DE John Farley0.012034
DE Harry Gunner0.010033
CB Jim Thrower0.010024
DT Dennis Harrison0.002038
OLB Terry Beeson0.001034
ILB Darnell Barton0.001021

Pass Defense Statistics

OaklandCaughtDefnsdIntrcpPPlay
OLB Ron Porter40021
CB Gary Green40025
S Dwight Harmon30025
CB Steve Tannen21012
OLB Dave Washington20024
CB Garry Lyle11029
CB Tony Plummer11026
ILB Al Andrews10027
S Les Fouse10021
ILB Junior Applegate10013
OLB Richard Wood01027
S Keith Simpson01019
St. LouisCaughtDefnsdIntrcpPPlay
S Nate Wright33035
CB Blaine Sanford20029
S Ike Thomas12133
CB Dusty Hartman10111
OLB Terry Beeson10134
ILB Darnell Barton10121
ILB Tim Rossovich10034
ILB Doug Allen1005
S Luther Bradley1005
CB Charlie Waters01035
OLB Dave Nelson01016
S Louie Wright01021
Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #38
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

My first win in FOF!

Lots to like in this game, as I pretty much dominated starting in the third quarter. We held the ball for over 40 minutes and that was without a greatly effective running game (43 carries for only 105 yards).

The defense was stifling, holding their backup quarterback to only 3 completions in 26 attempts (!). We also picked off three of his passes and four in total.

My #3 receiver, Herman Franklin, was spectacular in notching 165 yards through the air.

However, there was some things that cause concern. My field goal kicker missed FOUR attempts - two 40 yarders, a 56 yarder and a 57 yarder. I can forgive the 50+ attempts but missing two others? Not good...

I also suffered more injuries and one of them to a player I desperately need - WR John Stallworth, my top wideout. He'll miss up to four weeks with a strained groin. Damn.

In the end, I'm just glad to finally win a game. The offense looked decent and the D came through with countless big plays.

For the last preseason game, I'll deactivate most of my starters in order to keep them safe from injury.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #39
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

As I told the Jets GM before the game, if I could stay within two touchdowns in this game, I'd consider it a victory.

The Jets were giving some touches to Bert Jones and O.J. Simpson in this one while I was going with a lineup filled predominantly with second stringers.

Exhibition Week 5, 1978
played in New York, NY
76 degrees, fair, 1 mph wind

St. Louis Cardinals7773-24
New York Jets014013-27
Scoring Summary
1Q: 00:20 STL - Arnold Weber 1 run (Steve Mayer extra point)
2Q: 12:41 NYK - Mike Holmes 73 punt return (Adam Carr extra point)
2Q: 04:51 NYK - Nate Moore 7 pass from Kendrick Woodard (Adam Carr extra point)
2Q: 02:19 STL - Ron Sellers 25 pass from Kent Nix (Steve Mayer extra point)
3Q: 00:17 STL - Sean Stemke 9 pass from Kent Nix (Steve Mayer extra point)
4Q: 04:20 NYK - Rod Parker 4 pass from Kendrick Woodard (Adam Carr extra point)
4Q: 01:20 STL - Steve Mayer 24 field goal
4Q: 00:26 NYK - Brian Baschnagel 37 pass from Kendrick Woodard (Adam Carr extra point failed)
Team StatisticsSTLNYK
Record1-32-2
First Downs2121
- by Rushing76
- by Passing1315
- by Penalty10
Total Net Yards387402
- Offensive Plays6661
- Yards per Play5.866.59
Net Rushing Yards119128
- Rushing Attempts2726
- Yards per Rush4.414.92
Net Passing Yards268274
- Att./Comp./Intrcpt36 - 21 - 032 - 19 - 0
- Gross Passing Yards287290
- Sacks/Yards Lost3/193/16
- Yards per Pass Play6.877.83
Fumbles/Lost0/03/1
3rd Down Conversions4/135/12
- Avg. YtG on 3rd Down7.95.8
4th Down Conversions0/00/0
Penalties/Yards6/454/30
Punt Returns/Yards2/65/102
Kick Returns/Yards4/842/50
Interception Ret./Yards0/00/0
2pt Conversions0/00/0
Red Zone Visits32
- Red Zone TDs/FGs2/12/0
Avg. Drive StartOWN 25OWN 23
Time of Possession30:5329:07
Drive Charts

St. Louis Cardinals
115:002:49OWN 18519Punt
110:572:03OWN 4632Punt
15:405:27OWN 201380Touchdown
213:140:42OWN 3030Punt
212:322:42OWN 2536Punt
24:412:33OWN 27773Touchdown
21:350:57OWN 2336Punt
311:202:58OWN 17423Punt
36:536:44OWN 181282Touchdown
412:431:12OWN 2032Punt
49:041:00OWN 3533Punt
44:143:00OWN 17776Field Goal
40:100:10OWN 4015Game
New York Jets
112:111:14OWN 203-2Punt
18:543:14OWN 14648Punt
10:131:59OWN 3431Punt
29:505:09OWN 201180Touchdown
22:080:33OWN 2037Punt
20:380:38OWN 27220Half
315:003:40OWN 20620Punt
38:221:29OWN 2835Punt
30:092:26OWN 27528Punt
411:312:27OWN 23542Fumble
48:043:50OWN 30870Touchdown
41:141:04OWN 20680Touchdown
Game MVP: Kendrick Woodard, New York Jets

Rushing Statistics

Arnold Weber21813.861531
Ricky Patton5377.401420
Kent Nix111.00100
New YorkAttYardsAvgLG10+TD
Lawrence Gaines211145.431220
O.J. Simpson5142.80600
Passing Statistics

Kent Nix34192433/19225098.0
Nicky Guillen22440/00390118.8
New YorkAttCompYardsSk/YdTDLGIntRate
Kendrick Woodard26162432/103370130.7
Bert Jones63471/6021076.4
Receiving Statistics

WR Ron Sellers598617.202251
TE Sean Stemke44358.750151
WR Jessie Thompson365016.670230
TE Jack Funk232110.501180
WR Randy Burke252512.503180
WR Wes Chandler244522.500390
RB Arnold Weber1211.00110
WR Eddie Foster111818.000180
RB Ricky Patton1266.00060
New YorkCatchTargYardsAvgYACLGTD
WR Brian Baschnagel5711823.601371
WR Cliff Branch455614.0016320
WR Nate Moore475213.000231
WR Rod Parker33279.000161
TE Tyrell Wynn2294.50370
TE Russ Francis122828.0010280
RB Lawrence Gaines0400.00000
TE Butch Howard0200.00000
Interception Statistics

St. LouisIntsYardsAvgTD
New YorkIntsYardsAvgTD
Fumble Statistics

Dick Cunningham0110
Dusty Hartman0020
New YorkFumbRecovForceTD
Tyrell Wynn1000
Brian Baschnagel1000
Rod Parker1000
Lawrence Gaines0200
Punting Statistics

Bobby Walden838548.136.6633
New YorkPuntYardsAvgNetLGIn20
Ron Widby730243.136.6502
Kicking Statistics

Steve Mayer1/10/00/0243/3
New YorkFGs40+Yd50+YdLGPAT
Adam Carr0/00/00/003/4
Punt Return Statistics

St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Eddie Foster155.00
Clarence Williams111.00
New YorkRetYardsAvgTD
Lawrence Gaines4297.30
Mike Holmes17373.01
Kick Return Statistics

St. LouisRetYardsAvgTD
Eddie Foster23919.50
Clarence Williams24522.50
New YorkRetYardsAvgTD
Mike Holmes25025.00
Defensive Statistics

S Luther Bradley720.02633
CB Dusty Hartman500.02131
OLB Mike McGill401.01718
ILB Doug Allen410.02124
OLB Terry Beeson321.01218
ILB Darnell Barton320.0818
S Louie Wright310.02429
CB Jim Thrower300.02231
DE Jack Youngblood300.01624
OLB Dave Nelson300.02328
DT Manny Fernandez210.02131
DE John Farley101.01011
ILB Dick Cunningham100.02018
DT Bob Juchartz100.0819
S Jim Ferguson100.039
CB Blaine Sanford100.0815
DT Keith Simons020.01311
DE Junior Johnson020.054
DT Dennis Harrison010.055
New YorkTackAsstSackRPlayPPlay
OLB Jack Reynolds510.01930
ILB Ralph Ortega510.02324
OLB Ted Cottrell421.01721
DT Dan Goich411.02331
OLB Carl Ekern401.02023
CB Raymond Jones400.0722
S Ernie Kellerman320.01413
S Kerry Reardon310.01326
ILB Bob Babich300.01314
DT Harry Nowakowski220.01316
ILB Gerald Irons210.01429
CB Jim Marsalis210.02235
S Vince Hoover200.01322
DE Fred Dean200.01831
S Dick Anderson120.01417
CB Mike Holmes110.02017
S Chuck Beatty100.004
DE Nick Roman030.01630
CB Joe Green020.0715
DT Louis Kelcher010.0119
Pass Rush Statistics

OLB Terry Beeson1.001018
OLB Mike McGill1.000018
DE John Farley1.000011
DT Bob Juchartz0.003119
DT Manny Fernandez0.002031
OLB Dave Nelson0.001028
New YorkSackBlockHurryKnockPPlay
OLB Ted Cottrell1.010021
OLB Carl Ekern1.001023
DT Dan Goich1.000231
DE Fred Dean0.011131
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #40
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Well, it's definitely a moral victory in our last preseason game. The Jets were down three points with about a minute remaining and connected on two big plays to score the unlikely touchdown to win the game.

Our backups all played well and we almost compiled 400 yards in offense.

But I got hit with two more injuries, including one to my starting strong safety Ike Thomas, who I had dressed but didn't slot him in the lineup. Of course, he ended up going in for a guy who was fatigued and got hurt on that play, separating his shoulder.

He's gone for six weeks.

That gives me nine injuries heading into my first regular season game - only the influenza-stricken Dallas Cowboys are in worse shape.

We're at cutdown day now so I'll have to figure out who stays and who goes in our bid to get down to 53 players.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #41
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Cardinals Cut Seven; Roster is Set for '78

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
September 1, 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

With only three days until the start of the new season, the St. Louis Cardinals made their final roster cuts in preparation for their home opener against the defending NFC West champion San Francisco 49ers.

WR Randy Burke, OT Kelvin Prior, C Dustin Vance, S Luther Bradley, DE Fernando Harrison, ILB Dick Cunningham and OLB Dave Nelson were all dismissed from camp before practice on Thursday morning.

"There were some difficult decisions, that's for sure", indicated Cardinals head coach Wade Grabowski. "But this ain't Cub Scouts...this is professional football and these men know it's a business."

"We are certain some will catch on with other clubs and we wish them all the best."

Burke was the Cardinals 7th round pick in the 1977 draft and started 8 games at wideout as a rookie, catching 19 balls for 237 yards. He was a victim of the numbers game after new management drafted two wideouts in this years draft, both of whom made the roster.

Prior was a 6th round pick in last years draft but never saw game action with the club. He had a decent camp but just hasn't developed fast enough for management.

Vance was the Cards 7th round pick in this years draft and also had a decent camp. Many thought he'd stick around but the emergence of Clyde Stevenson in camp made the decision to cut the green Vance an easy one. Ironically enough, Stevenson's old team, the Denver Broncos, signed Vance earlier this morning.

Luther Bradley went undrafted this year and the Notre Dame grad was solid, if unspectacular in camp. Gradkowski indicates that he was the last cut and says there is a chance the team will sign him to the practice roster if he is still available later in the season.

Fernando Harrison was a 1st round pick of the Rams back in 1973 but after two relatively productive seasons, fell off the map in '75. He was signed to mentor rookie Henry Bradley but his season-ending injury meant Harrison wasn't needed this year.

Dick Cunningham was also signed in the offseason as a tutor to a rookie, in this case Darnell Barton. However, the team incurred numerous injuries during the preseason at outside linebacker and they were unable to keep as many MLB's as desired.

Dave Nelson was a 3rd round selection of the 49ers back in 1974 but the emergence of another preseason signing, Mike McGill, meant Nelson was expendable.

There weren't any shockers in the group that was let go but there were some players who made the roster that came as a bit of a surprise. First and foremost is DE Junior Johnson, who has had a horrible camp and just didn't produce in his 10 starts last year as a rookie. The severely undersized end is very close with the defensive line leader, Harry Gunner, and that may have saved his spot on the roster. The fact that he has two years remaining on his contract, one which paid him a bonus, may also have something to do with it.

The Post-Dispatch will be back tomorrow with a full report on the 55 players who made the St. Louis Cardinals in 1978.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 03-25-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #42
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Your 1978 St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
September 2, 1978 (St. Louis, MO) -

Now that the final roster has been set, here is a scouting report on this year's edition of the HFL's St. Louis Cardinals, starting with the Quarterbacks.

OTHER QUARTERBACKS -

KENT NIX
34 Years Old, 6'2" 223lbs
12th Year, TCU
Drafted 30th Round (947th) by Los Angeles in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $310,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: New Orleans 7GP 89-170 979yds 4td 7int
HFL TOTALS: 65GP 453-871 5613yds 39td 23int
Nix had a pedestrian camp and was signed as an insurance policy in case of injury to Patrick.

NICKY GUILLEN
23 Years Old, 6'0" 206lbs
2nd Year, Iowa
Drafted 4th Round (105th) by St. Louis in 1977
1978 Cap Cost: $100,000 (Expires after 1979 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP No Stats
HFL TOTALS: 16GP No Stats
Guillen isn't progressing as expected after being a fourth round pick in '77. He's rubbed some veterans the wrong way since coming into camp last year but has the potential to be a capable backup.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 03-25-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #43
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Your 1978 St. Louis Cardinals (Continued)

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Now, let us take a look at the Cardinals backfield:

OTHER RUNNING BACKS -

RICKY PATTON (RB)
21 Years Old, 6'1" 225lbs
Rookie, Jackson State
Drafted 3rd Round (84th) by St. Louis in 1978
1978 Cap Cost: $80,000 (Expires after 1980 Season)
1977 Stats: Jackson State N/A
HFL TOTALS: No Stats
Patton had a great camp and will likely share carries with incumbent Eddie Ray. Has explosive speed and great power out of the backfield.

ARNOLD WEBER (RB)
25 Years Old, 6'0" 207lbs
4th Year, Stanford
Drafted 4th Round (106th) by St. Louis in 1975
1978 Cap Cost: $110,000 (Expires after 1979 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP 132-503yds 3.81avg 1td
HFL TOTALS: 43GP 227-943yds 4.15avg 5td
Weber started the last two games of the year in '77 but even a solid preseason wasn't enough to earn a promotion. He will primarily be a third down back in '78, barring injuries to Ray and Patton.

CLARENCE WILLIAMS (RB)
21 Years Old, 6'2" 203lbs
2nd Year, South Carolina
Drafted 2nd Round (41st) by St. Louis in 1977
1978 Cap Cost: $230,000 (Expires after 1979 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 14GP 15-49yds 3.27avg 0td
HFL TOTALS: 14GP 15-49yds 3.27avg 0td
Williams has been a disappointment after getting drafted in the second round last year. He's a poor-man's Weber and will likely start the year on the practice squad.

CLEM TURNER (FB)
30 Years Old, 6'1" 235lbs
10th Year, Cincinnati
Drafted 46th Round (1450th) by Los Angeles in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $70,000 (Expires after 1980 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP 30-144yds 4.80avg 4td
HFL TOTALS: 108GP 172-791yds 4.60avg 6td
Turner had a solid season in '77 but will be relegated to a backup role with the signing of Amundson. A solid citizen on the field and in the locker room.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 03-25-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #44
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Now, let us take a look at the Cardinals receivers:

OTHER RECEIVERS -

HERMAN FRANKLIN (WR)
28 Years Old, 6'1" 197lbs
8th Year, Michigan
Undrafted
1978 Cap Cost: $290,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: Minnesota 13GP 28-320yds 11.43avg 2td
HFL TOTALS: 96GP 223-3035yds 13.61avg 18td
Franklin was a free agent acquisition for the Cards in the offseason and will likely play the slot as the third wideout. He is a deep threat and is coming off a very productive preseason with St. Louis.

WES CHANDLER (WR)
21 Years Old, 6'5" 215lbs
Rookie, Florida
Drafted 6th Round (179th) by St. Louis in 1978
1978 Cap Cost: $50,000 (Expires after 1980 Season)
1977 Stats: Florida N/A
Chandler had a very solid camp and will be looked upon as the fourth receiver to start the year. His stock dropped drastically before the draft after not participating in the combine.

RON SELLERS (WR)
31 Years Old, 5'11" 182lbs
10th Year, Florida State
Drafted 34th Round (1057th) by St. Louis in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $210,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 15GP 48-692yds 14.42avg 1td
HFL TOTALS: 113GP 319-4697yds 14.72avg 24td
Sellers has really lost a step going into his tenth season and will be hard pressed to make a contribution in '78. He was solid last year but an infusion of youth into the receiving corp has him on the outside looking in. Still a leader and solid locker room presence.

JESSIE THOMPSON (WR)
19 Years Old, 6'2" 212lbs
Rookie, California
Drafted 5th Round (156th) by St. Louis in 1978
1978 Cap Cost: $50,000 (Expires after 1980 Season)
1977 Stats: California N/A
Thompson was a solid performer in the '78 combines and was decent enough in the preseason to earn a spot over the now departed Randy Burke. Has the ability to rack up yards after the catch but will have a hard time getting game action this year.

EDDIE FOSTER (WR)
23 Years Old, 5'11" 201lbs
2nd Year, Houston
Undrafted
1978 Cap Cost: $60,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: New York Jets 1GP 1KR-27yds
HFL TOTALS: 1GP 1KR-27yds
Foster was signed solely to return kicks. He is equally adept at returning punts as he is on kickoff returns. Very limited in all other facets.

SEAN STEMKE (TE)
26 Years Old, 6'5" 261lbs
4th Year, Louisville
Drafted 3rd Round (93rd) in 1975 by Houston Texans
1978 Cap Cost: $70,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 13GP 5-69yds 13.80avg 0td
HFL TOTALS: 45GP 36-346yds 9.61avg 1td
Stemke is a great route runner and an excellent receiver overall but is a very poor blocker and therefore will never be a top option at the position.

JACK FUNK (TE)
23 Years Old, 6'2" 268lbs
4th Year, Syracuse
Drafted 6th Round (165th) by Philadelphia in 1975
1977 Stats: St. Louis 15GP 1-3yds 3.00avg 0td
HFL TOTALS: 35GP 11-104yds 9.45avg 2td
Funk is another tight end in the Stemke mold, one who is a decent route runner and receiver but a mediocre blocker. He seems to have a bit more upside than his counterpart, however.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #45
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

And now, we'll round out the offense by looking at the men on the line:

OTHER OFFENSIVE LINEMEN -

CLYDE STEVENSON (C)
31 Years Old, 6'1" 259lbs
9th Year, UCLA
Undrafted
1977 Stats: Denver 2GP 0krb 1kro 0.0bpct 0ska
HFL TOTALS: 32GP 17krb 45kro 37.8bpct 4ska
Stevenson is the prototypical journeyman, having now suited up for seven teams in his 9 year career. His lack of versatility is a problem but he has produced in the few opportunities he's been given. He had a tremendous preseason, including one game where he notched 7krbs.

JIM SCHMEDDING (LG)
32 Years Old, 6'2" 269lbs
11th Year, Weber State
Drafted 11th Round (326th) by Baltimore Ravens in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $190,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: Baltimore Ravens 6GP 4krb 21kro 19.0bpct 0ska
HFL TOTALS: 92GP 131krb 419kro 31.3bpct 29ska
Schmedding was a six-year starter for the defending HFL Bowl champs and is extremely versatile, with experience at every position on the line. He will surely get a number of chances to contribute throughout the season.

JACKIE GLODE (RG)
22 Years Old, 6'5" 316lbs
2nd Year, Brigham Young
Drafted 5th Round (131st) by St. Louis in 1977
1978 Cap Cost: $70,000 (Expires after 1979 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 14GP 16krb 37kro 43.2bpct 9ska
HFL TOTALS: 14GP 16krb 37kro 43.2bpct 9ska
Glode was pressed into action very early in his career due to the season-ending injury to star Levert Carr. Glode was sensational, with a 43.2bpct in his first year out of Brigham Young. He's still got a lot of developing to do but had an excellent camp and will get the chance to build upon a fine '77 season.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #46
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

It's now time to look at the defensive side of the ball. We'll start with a look at the new three-man defensive front:

OTHER DEFENSIVE LINEMEN -

JOHN FARLEY (DE)
26 Years Old, 6'8" 270lbs
8th Year, UCLA
Drafted 5th Round (133rd) by Miami in 1971
1978 Cap Cost: $150,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP 6tckl 2asst 1.0sack 0hurr
HFL TOTALS: 74GP 26tckl 11asst 3.5sack 11hurr
Farley is a huge presence on the end of the line but hasn't been able to produce much at the pro level.

JUNIOR JOHNSON (DE)
22 Years Old, 6'4" 252lbs
2nd Year, Oklahoma
Drafted 3rd Round (73rd) by St. Louis in 1977
1978 Cap Cost: $120,000 (Expires after 1979 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 11GP 9tckl 6asst 1.5sack 1hurr
HFL TOTALS: 11GP 9tckl 6asst 1.5sack 1hurr
Johnson has been a huge disappointment and didn't produce at all in his 10 starts last year. He's just not developing like he should and may not last long in St. Louis.

HENRY BRADLEY (DE) - INJURED RESERVE
20 Years Old, 6'6" 286lbs
Rookie, Alcorn State
Drafted 4th Round (115th) by St. Louis in 1978
1978 Cap Cost: $60,000 (Expires after 1980 Season)
1977 Stats: Alcorn State N/A
Bradley made the transition from Nose Tackle to Defensive End in training camp and was projected to start as a rookie. However, a devastating injury to his achilles in the first preseason contest ended his season prematurely.

KEITH SIMONS (DT)
22 Years Old, 6'1" 265lbs
3rd Year, Minnesota
Drafted 3rd Round (83rd) by St. Louis in 1976
1978 Cap Cost: $140,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 4GP No Stats
HFL TOTALS: 14GP 13tckl 11asst 1.0sack 5hurr
Simons battled injury in '77 and looks to have recovered nicely. However, Harrison's presence and the move to a 3-4 defense will mean few opportunities for the youngster.

MANNY FERNANDEZ (DT)
32 Years Old, 6'2" 295lbs
12th Year, Utah
Drafted 8th Round (224th) by St. Louis in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $360,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 6GP 15tckl 8asst 2.5sack 8hurr
HFL TOTALS: 116GP 452tckl 173asst 38.5sack 136hurr
Fernandez has started to see his game slip after the season-ending injury last year. He is the all-time Cardinals leader in sacks and will get the chance to play some defensive end this year with the injury to rookie Bradley.

JERRY RUSH (DT) - INJURED RESERVE
35 Years Old, 6'2" 269lbs
14th Year, Michigan State
Drafted 2nd Round (36th) by Kansas City in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $750,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: Kansas City 5GP 27tckl 4asst 2.5sack 4hurr
HFL TOTALS: 101GP 401tckl 149asst 40.0sack 124hurr
Rush has been one of the top tackles in the league for sometime but won't play at all this year after being placed on the injured reserve. In fact, it is likely that he will retire after this season ends.

BOB JUCHARTZ (DT)
28 Years Old, 6'4" 298lbs
8th Year, Cincinnati
Drafted 4th Round (100th) by Detroit in 1971
1978 Cap Cost: $150,000 (Expires after 1979 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 10GP 27tckl 14asst 2.5sack 4hurr
HFL TOTALS: 60GP 145tckl 76asst 9.5sack 30hurr
Juchartz will be asked to play a backup role for the first time in his career. He's solid all-around but doesn't have a skill that stands out.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 AM   #47
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Now let's move onto the linebacking corp:

OTHER LINEBACKERS -

RON PRITCHARD (OLB)
31 Years Old, 6'2" 237lbs
10th Year, Arizona State
Drafted 46th Round (1457th) by St. Louis in 1970
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP 4tckl 0asst 0.0sack 0int
HFL TOTALS: 107GP 140tckl 56asst 5.5sack 2int
Pritchard is a smart player and is being counted on for his leadership and mentoring abilities.

MIKE McGILL (OLB)
32 Years Old, 6'2" 248lbs
11th Year, Notre Dame
Drafted 30th Round (944th) by Oakland in 1970
1978 Cap Cost: $190,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: San Diego 6GP No Stats
HFL TOTALS: 104GP 287tckl 99asst 2.0sack 9int
McGill was a late preseason pickup and he didn't disappoint, earning his way onto the roster. He'll likely get a chance to start due to Brupbacher's injury.

DOUG ALLEN (MLB)
25 Years Old, 6'1" 245lbs
5th Year, Penn State
Drafted 3rd Round (76th) by Carolina in 1974
1977 Stats: St. Louis 5GP 12tckl 3asst 0.0sack 0int
HFL TOTALS: 15GP 22tckl 5asst 0.0sack 1int
With a thin linebacking corp in '78, Allen will get more opportunities to play than in the past. He still has some upside.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #48
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The secondary finishes off our look at the Cardinals defense:

OTHER SECONDARY PERSONNEL -

JIM THROWER (CB)
30 Years Old, 5'10" 182lbs
9th Year, Small College
Drafted 49th Round (1545th) by San Francisco in 1970
1977 Stats: St. Louis 11GP 18tckl 7asst 1int 2defn
HFL TOTALS: 109GP 127tckl 39asst 5int 16defn
Thrower will play a bunch as a nickle and dime back. Can start in a pinch too.

ETHAN HEUPEL (CB)
22 Years Old, 6'1" 197lbs
2nd Year, Virginia
Undrafted
1978 Cap Cost: $60,000 (Expires after 1978 Season)
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP 24tckl 5asst 3int 2defn
HFL TOTALS: 16GP 24tckl 5asst 3int 2defn
Heupel was a nice surprise in '77, nabbing 3 picks as an undrafted player out of Virginia. He loves going for the ball but does so at the expense of his other duties.

DUSTY HARTMAN (CB)
24 Years Old, 5'11" 213lbs
4th Year, Vanderbilt
Drafted 6th Round (175th) by San Diego in 1975
1977 Stats: St. Louis 16GP 11tckl 4asst 0int 0defn
HFL TOTALS: 35GP 73tckl 23asst 0int 13defn
Hartman is solid in the run defense department and is a pretty versatile corner. May help in the kick return department as well.

LOUIE WRIGHT (S)
25 Years Old, 6'2" 200lbs
4th Year, San Jose State
Drafted 1st Round (22nd) by Oakland in 1975
1977 Stats: DNP
HFL TOTALS: 30GP 17tckl 4asst 0int 0defn
Injury destroyed his '77 season and the former first round pick gets a chance at redemption with the Cardinals. Wright had a nice camp and will get to start in place of the injured Ike Thomas. Wright has an abundance of skill.

JIM FERGUSON (S)
25 Years Old, 6'1" 212lbs
5th Year, Stanford
Drafted 6th Round (162nd) by St. Louis in 1974
1977 Stats: Los Angeles 16GP 32tckl 10asst 0int 2defn
HFL TOTALS: 33GP 59tckl 13asst 0int 2defn
Ferguson returns for his second call of duty with the Cardinals after a successful season in Los Angeles. Ferguson was signed to provide mentoring for young Louie Wright and will come in for dime situations.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #49
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Lastly, the kickers:

Last edited by NoSkillz : 03-26-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #50
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

1978 - Week 1
San Francisco 49ers (0 - 0) at St. Louis Cardinals (0 - 0)
Key Players (1977 Stats Shown)
QB Bryant Salter - 65.1% 1274yds 11td 5int 97.1rateQB Frank Patrick - 60.0% 3340yds 26td 11int 93.7rate
RB Terry Miller - RookieRB Eddie Ray - 243att 1034yds 4.26ypc 9td
WR Margene Adkins - 81rec 1157yds 14.3ypc 7tdWR Allen Dunbar - 14rec 130yds 9.29ypc 0td
LG Glen Holloway - 48.9bpct 3skaRT Rick Sharp - 37.7bpct 8ska
DT Tommy Gay - 58tckl 21asst 3.0sack 4hurrDE Harry Gunner - 36tckl 13asst 5.0sack 10hurr
OLB Tom Jackson - 34tckl 8asst 0.0sack 1intMLB Tim Rossovich - 93tckl 40asst 2.0sack 2int
S Steve Foley - 82tckl 29asst 6int 6defnS Nate Wright - 86tckl 29asst 2int 8defn
Series History
History
Last Game
Last Season:
San Francisco went 2-0
1977 Week 15
OT
TOT
Overall History:
San Francisco leads 11-5 (.688)
St. Louis
In St. Louis: San Francisco leads 7-1 (.875)San Francisco
Team Statistics
San Francisco
St. Louis
Offense
Defense
Offense
Defense
Rushing:
116.1 (19th)
Rushing:
99.1 (5th)
Rushing:
110.3 (25th)
Rushing:
122.8 (20th)
Passing:
246.1 (11th)
Passing:
222.5 (14th)
Passing:
213.6 (20th)
Passing:
225.8 (17th)
Total:
Total:
Total:
Total:
Scoring:
22.6 (T-11th)
Scoring:
17 (T-5th)
Scoring:
17.8 (T-21st)
Scoring:
18.8 (14th)
Turnovers: +11 (T-3rd)
Turnovers: +3 (T-11th)
Injuries
San Francisco
St. Louis
DT Tom Williams - OutDT Jerry Rush - Out (IR)
QB Ken Anderson - OutDE Henry Bradley - Out (IR)
FB Jermaine Judge - OutLB Ross Brupbacher - Out
CB Steve Freeman - OutS Ike Thomas - Out
S - Cornell Green - QuestionableDE John Farley - Out
CB Ethan Heupel - Doubtful
WR John Stallworth - Questionable
LB Ron Pritchard - Questionable
DE Jack Youngblood - Probable
Vegas Line
San Francisco 49ers -2