Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2023, 05:55 PM   #51
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Pfft, hold Man Utd's beer: Manchester United invited convicted paedophile Geoff Konopka to WSL game | Manchester United | The Guardian

Quote:
Manchester United invited a convicted paedophile to be a special guest at the biggest women’s football match in the club’s history, after failing to conduct the appropriate checks despite his position as a former coach at the club.

Geoff Konopka was the manager of Manchester United Ladies between 1983 and 2001, but was sentenced to four years in prison in 2011 and put on the sex offenders register for a decade after being convicted of offences of indecent assault and gross indecency against girls aged under 16.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:42 PM   #52
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My nephew is a Man City fan so to wish him a happy birthday I sent him a gif of Antony (#21) dancing over a football.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:48 PM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Everton look to have a new majority owner soon. However, they still will have the same majority awful team
Old 09-15-2023, 11:15 AM   #54
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Soccer city! If you would have told me twenty years ago that Atlanta was going to be a big-time soccer town, I wouldn't have believed you.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:08 AM   #55
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Proper domestic assault of United by Brighton
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #56
GrantDawg

Yesterday afternoon, you couldn't get in the building for Atlanta United match versus Inter Miami for less than $150. Now that it was announced Messi didn't even fly to Atlanta for the match tickets are $40.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:53 AM   #57
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yesterday afternoon, you couldn't get in the building for Atlanta United match versus Inter Miami for less than $150. Now that it was announced Messi didn't even fly to Atlanta for the match tickets are $40.

I have season tickets in the 200s, sold them a few weeks ago for about $300 a pop because I don't really care THAT much. Glad I did, but missed a good game as ATLUTD put up 5 on Miami.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #58
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

File under "Only in MLS"

Player for Montreal FC, fed up with his playing time (only eight substitute appearances this season), decides he needs playing time, and plays three games for a friend's amateur league team (under a fake name), cops an indefinite ban for punching another player out, gets caught, and gets fired. Although he CAN point out he scored six goals in those three games...

Matko Miljevic: MLS sacks player after fake name and ban claims - BBC Sport
Old 09-18-2023, 03:26 PM   #59
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
File under "Only in MLS"

Player for Montreal FC, fed up with his playing time (only eight substitute appearances this season), decides he needs playing time, and plays three games for a friend's amateur league team (under a fake name), cops an indefinite ban for punching another player out, gets caught, and gets fired. Although he CAN point out he scored six goals in those three games...

Matko Miljevic: MLS sacks player after fake name and ban claims - BBC Sport
That is actually a fantastic story.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:29 PM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

I think this is what one might be described as a tackle with a bit of bite.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 11:31 PM   #61
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just to follow up on that story...

My brother, a former referee; now a high school JV coach; had a similar story. This was an U-14 Div 2 Promotion/Relegation game. One team slipped an illegal player onto the field. (After checking the players cards, unbeknownst to my brother, the coach switched the uniform of one player with the illegal player.)

At halftime, my brother's AR gets a call from the fed.. Apparently the team's manager had called them warning them that they were going to do this, so they had my brother stop the game, have the coach rehand out the player cards, and one by one brought them to the center of the field and asked them to confirm their name, and birth date. One kid gave the wrong info, and the jig was up.

Apparently, as a result, the coach was banned for life, and the team disbanded.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #62
miami_fan
Coordinator

Goalkeeper goal!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #63
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have tried to keep up with USWNT and the NWSL after the end of the World Cup. Overall, I can't say I have really been impressed with I have seen. After reading this article and others on the NWSL setup, there may be more dark times ahead if forward looking planning in all of these basic areas has not already begun.

After USWNT's poor World Cup, the NWSL needs big changes - ESPN
Old 09-29-2023, 12:02 PM   #64
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

US Soccer (the organization, not the concept) is an inbred mess of sycophants installed/promoted solely on the basis of networking, not capability, that avoids the type of attention they might get in other countries because soccer is a journalistic afterthought in the United States.

While those idiots were collecting checks and avoiding real work, the rest of the world caught up and there's probably no way back to dominance unless the network of European clubs/leagues suddenly collapses.

I love soccer, and I love refereeing, and I love being involved at (obviously) the lower youth levels of it all, but developmental soccer in this country, men & women, is a complete shitshow dominated by a profit motive above all else and I don't see any obvious way back.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:55 AM   #65
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
While those idiots were collecting checks and avoiding real work, the rest of the world caught up and there's probably no way back to dominance unless the network of European clubs/leagues suddenly collapses.
I don't see that last part happening. The rich European clubs have dollar signs in their eyes and finally understand that having a women's team is better for their image. European women love to play for famous brands like Arsenal, Bayern München, FC Barcelona and Liverpool, they feel no shame in playing for Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United or Paris SG either. Playing for such brands is their confirmation that they are catching up (with men). A long road stil to go is getting paid close to the same amounts, eventually leading to another semi-retired footballers league in Saudi Arabia?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:31 PM   #66
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't see it happening either (a collapse of the European women's leagues).

The point is that the U.S. had a huge advantage in player development (again, for women) for decades due to the college model. That's now been usurped by a superior development model (this is true on the men's side, too), while at the same time everything else about under-18 soccer in the U.S. has regressed into a shitshow focused on making money with actual talent identification and development being an afterthought.

But hey, we're still #1 in American Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Ice Hockey, right?

Old 09-30-2023, 10:10 PM   #67
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Refs fucked Liverpool today. So badly, they admitted it.

Tottenham 2-1 Liverpool: PGMOL admits 'significant human error' over disallowed Luis Diaz goal - BBC Sport
Old 10-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #68
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

PGMOL seems bound and determined to implement & execute VAR in the worst way potentially possible.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:22 AM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

I missed everything football related this weekend. I really look forward to seeing how bad this whole thing was.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #70
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I missed everything football related this weekend. I really look forward to seeing how bad this whole thing was.
It was similar to what happened every other weekend in the Premier League prior to VAR was - and why it was - introduced.

The way I've understood it, the fuck up here was that the VAR thought he was supposed to confirm it was not offside, while the call on the field was actually (wrongfully) offside and VAR's job was there to overturn it. It was so obviously not offside, it took just seconds to judge the situation and call: "check is over". As soon as the referee on the field blew his whistle for the free kick, VAR was no longer allowed to interfere and correct calling "yes" where "no" was in place.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #71
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 10-03-2023, 04:51 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
It was similar to what happened every other weekend in the Premier League prior to VAR was - and why it was - introduced.

The way I've understood it, the fuck up here was that the VAR thought he was supposed to confirm it was not offside, while the call on the field was actually (wrongfully) offside and VAR's job was there to overturn it. It was so obviously not offside, it took just seconds to judge the situation and call: "check is over". As soon as the referee on the field blew his whistle for the free kick, VAR was no longer allowed to interfere and correct calling "yes" where "no" was in place.

Basically, I think.

The mistake was
Quote:
The VAR Darren England incorrectly thought the on-field decision was "goal." While he quickly identified that Díaz was onside, he told the referee "check complete" -- which mistakenly told the on-field team the offside flag was correct.

And from today's official release with the transcripts
Quote:
In a lapse of concentration and loss of focus in that moment, the VAR lost sight of the on field decision and he incorrectly communicated "check complete", therefore inadvertently confirming the on-field decision. He did this without any dialogue with the AVAR [Assistant VAR].

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-03-2023 at 04:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:17 PM   #73
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yep, that's exactly what happened. Time for referee teams (including VAR) to implement Crew Resource Management: Crew resource management - Wikipedia
Old 10-03-2023, 07:46 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what happened. Time for referee teams (including VAR) to implement Crew Resource Management: Crew resource management - Wikipedia

I think the new rule going forward is for VAR guy to never talk to the refs until after he's confirmed what he's going to say with the VAR asst.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #75
miami_fan
Coordinator

All this hysteria because of plain ol' human communication error?

Weren't we suppose to be understanding humans will get things wrong and things will even out in the end?
Old 10-04-2023, 06:55 PM   #76
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think the new rule going forward is for VAR guy to never talk to the refs until after he's confirmed what he's going to say with the VAR asst.

I honestly don't understand why the VAR just isn't pitchside with a monitor (or just down the tunnel or something). It's not like they can't afford to have a VAR at every match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
All this hysteria because of plain ol' human communication error?

Weren't we suppose to be understanding humans will get things wrong and things will even out in the end?

miami_fan are you new to planet Earth?
Old 10-05-2023, 11:36 AM   #77
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. That's the thing I don't understand: why would you instruct a person to call "check complete"? I'd suspect it would be so much better to grasp to call as you see it: "onside, goal". Because then, when the referee made a mistake, he'd call the VAR back and say: wait, it was onside, not offside? etc.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Yeah. That's the thing I don't understand: why would you instruct a person to call "check complete"? I'd suspect it would be so much better to grasp to call as you see it: "onside, goal". Because then, when the referee made a mistake, he'd call the VAR back and say: wait, it was onside, not offside? etc.

I suspect the answer to that lies in how VAR is structered. This 2019 article with VAR Lead Neil Swarbick mentions how the process would work

The bolded part is my emphasis

Quote:
A Video Assistant Referee can only advise the on-field referee and not overrule them directly. They may only get involved if the referee has made a clear and obvious error.

Below, a ‘check’ refers to any decision assessed by VAR and ‘review’ means a decision the referee is consulted on which may be overturned when play is stopped

My guess is that they don't give a clear terminology ruling (like "goal" or "no goal") because they really don't have the authority to make that call, they only have the authority to "check" what was ruled on the pitch. They are "reviewing" or "checking", they aren't deciding anything themselves.

That was probably done to keep referee egos from being even more bruised by VAR.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-05-2023 at 01:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 02:06 PM   #79
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

File under Harsh but fair

https://twitter.com/worldsoccertalk/...04149750808966
Old 10-05-2023, 03:39 PM   #80
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 10-06-2023, 08:19 AM   #81
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Twitter handle is "out of context" so does anyone have the actual context that makes this look any better? I don't even know when it happened, could be years ago.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #82
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Dida banned over Celtic theatrics | Soccer | The Guardian
Old 10-06-2023, 11:02 AM   #83
miami_fan
Coordinator

More context.

A couple of years earlier, Dida was hit by a flare in a Champions League derby against Inter Milan.The match was abandoned and Milan moved on as they were already winning 1-0 in the match and 3-0 on aggregate at the time. Oh and this happened a couple minutes before. Basically the soccer version pulling up with a bad hammy after being burnt on a deep TD pass.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #84
miami_fan
Coordinator

Luca de la Torre coming on for Gio Reyna was the obvious change. Other than winning a free kick and not engaging Leroy Sane in the buildup to the German goal, he did little in the first half. The back line is still crap though.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:37 AM   #85
whomario
Pro Starter

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:02 PM   #86
miami_fan
Coordinator

I bring more context this time for that post match interview. That is Marc White. Who is Marc White you ask?

Quote:
Marc James Warren White (born 1 October 1973) is an English businessman who is best known for being founder, owner, chairman, former player and football manager of National League club Dorking Wanderers.

In other words, what would a 50 year old Jerry Jones had said if he also was the official head coach of the Cowboys.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #87
Ksyrup

Someone in last season's thread mentioned that Leicester going down might be a blessing in disguise and they might the able to come up quickly and it'll be more fun to follow them when they are winning more consistently.

Well, Leicester is doing really well. I believe I heard they are the first Championship team to win 12 of their 1st 13 games in a season. I watched today's game while flying and they didn't look great but they didn't need to be. Seems like they might be up in the PL again next year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-25-2023, 03:06 AM   #88
whomario
Pro Starter

Not a fan of either team but Galatasaray vs Bayern was a pretty damn fun game with a crazy atmosphere. Galatasaray had 16-3 shots in the first half which is kinda mental
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-25-2023 at 03:06 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #89
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

https://twitter.com/slbsn/status/171...r2IeaFIzw&s=19
Old 10-29-2023, 02:42 PM   #90
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Also, I believe Haaland has scored as many league goals as Man Utd.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:24 PM   #91
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Someone in last season's thread mentioned that Leicester going down might be a blessing in disguise and they might the able to come up quickly and it'll be more fun to follow them when they are winning more consistently.

Well, Leicester is doing really well. I believe I heard they are the first Championship team to win 12 of their 1st 13 games in a season. I watched today's game while flying and they didn't look great but they didn't need to be. Seems like they might be up in the PL again next year.

Our start, and Ipswich’s TBF, is unbelievable.

To give an idea, the team in 5th after 13 games is the same number of points away from a relegation spot as they are from top. (After 12 games, that was true of the team in 3rd)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:13 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

USWNT set to appoint Chelsea's Emma Hayes as head coach - source - ESPN

Quote:
The U.S. Soccer Federation's Board of Directors has approved the hiring of Chelsea manager Emma Hayes as the new head coach of the U.S. women's national team, a source with knowledge of the vote confirmed to ESPN.

A formal announcement of her hiring as Vlatko Andonovski's replacement is set to follow.

Sources also confirmed a report from The Athletic that Hayes' contract will be a record for women's soccer. A source confirmed to ESPN that making Hayes' salary equal to that of U.S. men's national team manager Gregg Berhalter was going to be a topic of discussion at the Board meeting.

I would think this is a big deal.

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-06-2023 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:12 PM   #93
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Agreed.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:33 PM   #94
Ksyrup

Watching a VAR session and a soccer game broke out.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:46 PM   #95
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Chelsea and Tottenham players will be stuffed in pairs into those "Get Along Shirts" for the rematch.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:07 PM   #96
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just tuned into the Napoli v. Union Berlin match. Is it me or does it look and sound like they are playing the match during COVID when they piped in crowd noise and just had members of the club staff and stadium staff in the crowd?
Old 11-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #97
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think we have a winner for "Most petty way to deny opponent's celebration"

In the second leg of the Peruvian championship final,, the home team was confident of a victory, having drawn the first leg away to their rival, 1-1. However, things they did not go their way, and they lost the second leg, 2-0 (and 3-1 on aggregate).

The opposing team however, did not get a chance to celebrate on their rivals turf, as moments after the final whistle, the lights in the stadium went completely out, except for the LED advertising boards. The general belief is that it wasn't a "power outage", but someone backstage furious that their hated opponents were going to celebrate the title on their pitch.

If so, they did get their wish, as the post-match celebration was cancelled due to the "power outage" (and as fighting broke out between rival fans).

Universitario left dancing in the dark to celebrate Peruvian title | Soccer | The Guardian

edit: Now that I think about it, this does have some upsides, in that it allows the team to officially raise the trophy at home with their supporters this weekend, but kinda unfair that they didn't get to celebrate on enemy turf.. I think before the next derby between the two teams at that stadium, they should be allowed to reenact the trophy celebration, complete with confetti cannons, etcetera.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-09-2023 at 10:56 AM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #98
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

This is like how Mizzou will probably get their season vacated because Michigan cheated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e...ague-2q6hf3p6v
Old 11-18-2023, 04:55 AM   #99
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
This is like how Mizzou will probably get their season vacated because Michigan cheated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e...ague-2q6hf3p6v
The good news is that the Premier League is still taking action. The bad news is that they apparently can only punish clubs that are transparent about their financial situation, still struggling to get a strong case against the other clubs that are obviously cheating.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:24 PM   #100
Critch
lolzcat

Belgium v Scotland in the European U21 qualifying turned out one of those results that would make you throw your laptop out the window if it happened in Football Manager.

Belgium had 75% possession and outshot Scotland 26-2, but Scotland won 2-0.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote