Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2024, 10:15 PM   #51
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I don’t know. My theory is that his game, for whatever reason, was more reliant on his athleticism than most quarterbacks. And once he inevitably lost some of that, everything came crashing down.

Or maybe the secret to his power was his huddle cuddles with Beastmode

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:11 AM   #52
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I read three things today that I'm choosing to believe are true, even of none of them are:

1. Russell Wilson put his Denver mansion up for sale
2. It has more bathrooms than he had wins in Denver
3. His house in Seattle is still on the market

I always wonder who IS the market for these (like a few months ago when a local news channel featured Bradley Beal's former house).
Old 02-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #53
QuikSand
lolzcat

l o effin l
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #54
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The guy doesn't block. Maybe they are trying to convince him he needs to block, but he has shown zero interest in anything other than being a passing target. The thing is, if he doesn't learn to try to block then he is going to be a huge liability on this offense. Basically every time he comes on the field, they might as well light up a sign saying "pass play!" They can't have him line up at TE and call a run play if he is just going to let his defender run right by him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:00 PM   #55
GrantDawg

dola: Tony Gonzalez was not a blocking TE. He still wasn't a liability on run plays because at least engaged the defender. Smith had Pitts lining up outside on most run plays because he wouldn't even do that. Pitt's refusal to block a CB on the outside caused a pick six on a simple screen.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:26 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Punt god got a job with the chiefs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:47 PM   #57
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bears checked two boxes by hiring Jennifer King as running back coach asst. GOnna get more draft picks.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:59 PM   #58
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So like are there rules for free agency acquisitions? Do teams just do a mad dash to sign players and whoever FA signs with gets him?
Old 02-23-2024, 03:00 PM   #59
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Have there been talks about females wanting to join the NFL ever?

Or a female league starting?

I'd be surprised if neither have come up
Old 02-23-2024, 05:26 PM   #60
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You mean the Lingerie Football League?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:59 PM   #61
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Have there been talks about females wanting to join the NFL ever?

I don’t think anything specifically excludes women from football does it? Women play in high school and have in college.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:54 PM   #62
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I don’t think anything specifically excludes women from football does it? Women play in high school and have in college.

Didn't know this. They getting killed?
Old 02-23-2024, 07:51 PM   #63
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Didn't know this. They getting killed?

Haley Van Voorhis makes history as first female non-kicker to play in NCAA football game | CNN

And as far as high school, I’d suspect if your county doesn’t have a female player a surrounding county does. I’d suspect the obvious reasons would be why you don’t see more past division 3, but I’d imagine at some point we will see a d1 player.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:04 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I’d suspect the obvious reasons would be why you don’t see more past division 3, but I’d imagine at some point we will see a d1 player.

Not sure too many of us would live to see that, aside from a gimmick move for publicity.

The reason is simple: hard to legitimately play D1 college football without having played at a fairly high level in high school first and that really hasn't started happening yet either.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:11 PM   #65
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Women baseball and basketball players should be a given at this point. And I mean women in nba and MLB
Old 02-23-2024, 08:19 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Women baseball and basketball players should be a given at this point. And I mean women in nba and MLB

Again, hard to play at the highest pro level when nobody is playing at the highest college or HS level.

It's a little less absurd than the NFL notion, but not by all that much.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 PM   #67
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Again, hard to play at the highest pro level when nobody is playing at the highest college or HS level.

It's a little less absurd than the NFL notion, but not by all that much.

Doesn't mean they will be great, just saying they will demand to get in and succeed.
Really there could be baseball players that can compete. So why do women pitch underhand.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:27 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doesn't mean they will be great, just saying they will demand to get in and succeed.

Successfully demand to get in? As fucked as our society is, you could eventually be correct.

Be able to compete at a major league level? It'd be a damned rare occurrence, especially since we have yet to see that done successfully at the lower levels.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:44 PM   #69
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

l o effin l

Fields commented that he loves Pitts. That he is 'my boy' and looks happy about the rumors he'll be traded there as he lived there. His biggest problem he says is all the people that will be calling him for free tix.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:19 AM   #70
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Successfully demand to get in? As fucked as our society is, you could eventually be correct.

Be able to compete at a major league level? It'd be a damned rare occurrence, especially since we have yet to see that done successfully at the lower levels.

This has been going on for sometime. Women have frequently been demanding to be in organizations and places they are currently not, sometimes good sometimes bad. Voting, the military, sports field reporting, etc, etc. Only a matter of time. May as well lump in trans athletes demanding to be sports divisions too.

I am certain there have been recent women that wanted to play baseball/basketball, etc at a pro level. That one woman that is breaking basketball records would no doubt be able to compete in the NBA. As for baseball...it's just scratching yourself and spitting and then hit a ball and run around some bases. What's to know...
Old 02-24-2024, 12:58 AM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Caitlin Clark would likely get destroyed in the NBA. Her team would be playing 4 on 5 on defense. Like it’s so much easier for her to get buckets when you’re shooting over women with short arms, bad verticals and slow-ish foot speed. Clark is pretty awesome, and one of the greatest female ballers ever, though. She would probably be the worst defensive player in the league and the offense would be questionable.

They’d run her out there if they thought she could play.

Last edited by stevew : 02-24-2024 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:02 AM   #72
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I mean there are tons of guys that can shoot and can't do much else in the NBA, how would she be any different.
And some of them can't even shoot.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:15 AM   #73
GrantDawg

Quote:
Fields commented that he loves Pitts. That he is 'my boy' and looks happy about the rumors he'll be traded there as he lived there. His biggest problem he says is all the people that will be calling him for free tix.
But then rumors say the Falcons have no interest in him, and are more concentrated in being aggressive in the draft to get a QB. I'm fear we are entering the JJ McCarty era for the Falcons.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-24-2024 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:19 AM   #74
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
This has been going on for sometime. Women have frequently been demanding to be in organizations and places they are currently not, sometimes good sometimes bad. Voting, the military, sports field reporting, etc, etc. Only a matter of time. May as well lump in trans athletes demanding to be sports divisions too.

One, curious which of those are among the "bad." Second, at a high level (power 5/pro) a team is going to need a damned good reason to field a woman - an actual competitive angle* - or be uncompetitive enough that they can afford a gimmick inclusion. D3 where kids are going to be slower/smaller? Sure.

* I think so far what kickers we've seen have been this, though I don't know that they HAVE to be; Purdue kicking has been shitty enough that I'm sure some women could have done better. But they were probably playing soccer in the ACC or something.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:34 PM   #75
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I mean there are tons of guys that can shoot and can't do much else in the NBA, how would she be any different.

How many of those guys can't dunk? Who in the NBA can't dunk? I know she doesn't have to, but it speaks to physical ability. When those guys get a layup their hand is above or near the rim. Caitlyn's? At least a foot below, if that? Unless she's all by herself it's getting blocked.

They're strong enough to establish some kind of position to get off their shot.
They can jump high enough to get off their shot.
They can beat people down the floor to get off their shot.
There's more, but.... you get the idea.

Caitlin is great but, almost any move she makes an NBA player is going to recover (if he loses position at all) to catch her, block the shot, or make it so she can't get the shot off.

If she goes to her "shoot from the logo game", that is NBA+ caliber, it still won't work. They can guard her tight and not let her shoot. If from the logo her quickness let's her get by them they'll run her down and block it from behind. The worst perimeter player in the NBA is quicker than her.

She can certainly shoot with the best of them, but she can't compete physically with any of them. Offensively, from time to time, she may get an open spot to shoot from. Defensively she wouldn't stand a chance.

Serena Williams is a very strong women. When asked about playing men she said something along the lines of she only wants to play women, that men's tennis and women's tennis are almost two separate sports. Physically Caitlin is not Serena.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:50 PM   #76
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think people honestly realize how insanely good NBA players are. Brian Scalabrine is a fantastic example of this. He was widely mocked as being the worst player in the NBA. He average 3 points and 2 rebounds per game while shooting 39% from the floor.

He's also famously told people that think they're better than him that he's closer to Lebron than they are to him as he routinely torches these guys 11-0 in 1 on 1s.

The vast majority of these guys that can shoot and can't do much else would be the best athlete on a WNBA floor by a wide, wide margin. That's no disrespect to the women's game, it's improved dramatically over the past decade, but the talent in the NBA has as well and that gap there really hasn't closed all that much. I don't think the best player in the WNBA is playing many minutes on a major college team, let along getting close to a NBA bench.

It's difficult to put into perspective how good even the worst NBA players are without seeing the gap up close.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:42 AM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had some longer post but she’s most body comp like Trae Young. Trae young who is the worst defender in the league. She’s unplayable. Like I doubt she gets any shot off that’s other than wide open. NBA guys are absolute freaks with long arms and insane hops. They’d ISO her on D and she would give up 50 a night and foul out in. She’s got game but c’mon.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:08 AM   #78
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

heh so you guys are saying that the NBA is made completely of genetically mutated huge monsters bred to play monster basketball to the point where normal people can't compete just based on skill? Funny that. Sorry this has hijacked the thread.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:35 AM   #79
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yes
Old 02-25-2024, 04:51 AM   #80
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not only the NBA, it's largely true of professional sports in general. The best at pretty much anything are many orders of magnitude better than even the 'good' in the general population.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:14 AM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Not only the NBA, it's largely true of professional sports in general. The best at pretty much anything are many orders of magnitude better than even the 'good' in the general population.

This.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:19 AM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Reminds me of the time I had an argument with a guy who said if he had 10 tries to get a basket on Jordan in his prime he would get one. I was like, dude, you wouldn't even get a shot off.

Always cracks me up when people try and say Alabama could beat the bears or UConn could beat the Pistons. Shows a complete lack of understanding just how elite these guys are.

When I was in HS my town played against a running back named Keith Elias. He went to Princeton on scholarship and had a cup of coffee with the Colts. He ran for 5 TDs and well over 200 yards. The guy was so much better than anyone else out there. It wasn't even close.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:23 AM   #83
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't think people honestly realize how insanely good NBA players are. Brian Scalabrine is a fantastic example of this. He was widely mocked as being the worst player in the NBA. He average 3 points and 2 rebounds per game while shooting 39% from the floor.

He's also famously told people that think they're better than him that he's closer to Lebron than they are to him as he routinely torches these guys 11-0 in 1 on 1s.

The vast majority of these guys that can shoot and can't do much else would be the best athlete on a WNBA floor by a wide, wide margin. That's no disrespect to the women's game, it's improved dramatically over the past decade, but the talent in the NBA has as well and that gap there really hasn't closed all that much. I don't think the best player in the WNBA is playing many minutes on a major college team, let along getting close to a NBA bench.

It's difficult to put into perspective how good even the worst NBA players are without seeing the gap up close.

Brian Scalabrine, an NBA Folk Legend, Blasts Amateurs Who Try to Challenge Him 1-on-1: 'I May Suck for an NBA Player, but I Don't Suck Compared to You'
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:22 AM   #84
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

even Fat John 'One-Ball' Kruk?
Old 02-25-2024, 10:25 AM   #85
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So the Canadian women's national hockey team would regularly play against Midget AAA boys (mostly in the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia) in their Olympic prep years and went 58-46-5 over the four Olympic years between 2006 and 2018. In 2022, they stepped up and played Junior A and went 0-5 getting outscored 30-2.

The national team is made up of the twenty or so best female hockey players of any age in Canada. Many of these women start playing at the age of 4 or 5, play several years on boys teams and then move on to girls and women's teams. Midget AAA boys are the best 15,16 and 17 year-olds playing U17; the very best 16 and 17 year-olds though are already playing Junior, which is 16-20. Junior A is a level below Major Junior. It is very rare for anyone playing Junior A to make it to the NHL, the exception usually being those that play Junior A at 16 or 17 because they want to go the college route. The vast majority of players that go on to play in the NHL play at the Major Junior level and not Junior A.

So I think the best way to equate this would be something like the 2020 US women's Olympic basketball team being very competitive with 11th grade AAU team's in Florida and then stepping up and getting crushed at the DII college level. That's basically the level of where elite women athletes are at in comparison to men.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:41 PM   #86
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
even Fat John 'One-Ball' Kruk?

Ask the guys that were in the minors with Kruk why he advanced to a nice MLB career while their healthy hard bodies never made it?

Some other fat players that come to mind..
Babe Ruth, CC Sabathia, Tony Gwynn,

Did you ever watch "Pros vs. Joes" where some pretty good amateurs challenged pro athletes? Most, or maybe all(?), of the pros were retired old second tier players, ie not former all stars. Some of the challengers were very good "every day" athletes that probably dominated whatever local ball they played. Some of the old pros toyed with them while beating them soundly. Others destroyed them from the get go with no mercy.

I googled but can't find it, but I remember reading a guys account of going to
a fantasy camp where Vida Blue was on the former MLBers team. First guy up laced a double to the gap and was celebrating loudly while standing on second base. I don't recall how long Blue pitched but he struck out every batter after that hit. IIRC He was pushing 60 years of age.

These guys, even the ones that are bottom of the league, get to where they are because they are different. Sure some born with the ability don't work to take advantage of it, but those that do? We mortals can't touch 'em.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:48 PM   #87
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Reminds me of the time I had an argument with a guy who said if he had 10 tries to get a basket on Jordan in his prime he would get one. I was like, dude, you wouldn't even get a shot off.

Always cracks me up when people try and say Alabama could beat the bears or UConn could beat the Pistons. Shows a complete lack of understanding just how elite these guys are.

When I was in HS my town played against a running back named Keith Elias. He went to Princeton on scholarship and had a cup of coffee with the Colts. He ran for 5 TDs and well over 200 yards. The guy was so much better than anyone else out there. It wasn't even close.

My high school basketball coach went to a Bobby Knight coaching clinic and Coach Knight ran Damon Bailey through some shooting drills for about 30 minutes from spots all over the floor. My coach said over those 30 minutes he couldn't even guess how many shots he put up, but not only did not miss a single shot but he doesn't think one of them even touched the rim.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:15 PM   #88
stevew
Hall Of Famer

YouTuber Deestroying is a kicker for one of the UFL teams. He makes some entertaining stuff.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:20 PM   #89
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
YouTuber Deestroying is a kicker for one of the UFL teams. He makes some entertaining stuff.

I enjoy the 1-on-1s
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:44 AM   #90
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Russell Wilson delusionally said he wants to win 2 Super Bowls over next 5 years
Old 02-26-2024, 08:45 AM   #91
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

He might be able to do it as the Chiefs backup. Unless of course Mahomes gets hurt, then he's back to no chance.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:04 AM   #92
molson
General Manager

He's won 1 playoff game in 7 years.

Is there a single fanbase that would be excited about him being their starting QB in 2024? I guess if he's really released and available for the league minimum or something.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:20 PM   #93
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Now iget how tired he is about rumors of trading him. Every day there's a new click bait article that actually turns out to be just someone's opinion of his situation. Just stop
Old 02-26-2024, 11:27 PM   #94
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He's won 1 playoff game in 7 years.

Is there a single fanbase that would be excited about him being their starting QB in 2024? I guess if he's really released and available for the league minimum or something.

I mean if it’s shitty Picketts or Russell I guess I’m team Steelers country let’s roll.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:35 PM   #95
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

More Wilson talk
Chad Johnson gets high and hears a bird telling him Russell Wilson rumours

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-26-2024 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 AM   #96
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I hate to be the one to break up the Wilson talk but...

As a Rams fan I can't remember the last year I looked forward to watching the draft. 10 picks that include, wait for it, a first and second round pick.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:58 AM   #97
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Rams successfully YOLOd to get a Super Bowl.

Then they almost immediately pivoted into being a young up and coming team.

Great trick if you can pull it off.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:29 AM   #98
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As a Broncos fan, I'm ignoring all of the new articles. We'll see what happens in due time. What I'm glad to not have to see anymore are the "Russ is playing great!" articles. Yes, his numbers looked good. Yes, Payton probably got as much out of him as he could. No, he did not run a good offense and was extremely limited. That should have been obvious if you watched the games.

During the mid-season win streak, the D was averaging like 4 TOs a game. That's the main reason they pulled off a long win streak. Wilson made a few end of game plays, but he also squandered many TOs with 3-and-outs or failing to get into scoring position on change of possessions that should have resulted in more scoring opportunities. Sometimes, the offense piddled around until the last 2 minutes of both halves, when it became the Samaje Perine show and Wilson dumped it off to him multiple times to get into scoring position. But that wasn't a sustainable offense for the other 55 minutes.

In short, get him the F out of Denver. I'd rather win 3 games next year hamstrung by the salary cap, then win 5 or 6 with him and delaying the inevitable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:28 AM   #99
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Some offseason trivia.

4 QBs have beaten every NFL team. Do you know who they are?

Spoiler

No QB has ever lost to every NFL team, but one QB has the chance to do it in 2024. Do you know who it is?

Spoiler
Old 02-27-2024, 11:01 AM   #100
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Bucs cutting Shaq Barrett.

Seems like the exact sort of guy that one of those smart somehow-always-in-the-playoffs teams will sign to a team-friendly deal four weeks into free agency in such a low-profile way that you won't even register it until Week 6 when you're flipping through Sunday Ticket and see him and say "Huh? They got Shaq Barrett? How'd they do that?"