Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #101
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Into the fourth season and it's still the best show on TV. Game of Thrones is the only thing close, in my opinion. Probably the last series that's hit my sweet spot like this is X-Files(which I still watch over and over again).

And of course Vince Gilligan created Breaking Bad and was a producer and writer of several X-Files episodes.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #102
Radii
Head Coach

Spoilers: Breaking Bad Creator Vince Gilligan on Last Night's Season Premiere - Hollywood Prospectus Blog

EDIT: Spoilers from the premiere, no spoilers from anything that hasn't aired yet.

Last edited by Radii : 07-18-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #103
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-18-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #104
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Gus Fring begins interviewing potential new cooks.

Giancarlo Esposito - Muppet Wiki
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #105
Bad-example
College Starter

Both are great reads

Tim Goodman before the season 4 premiere: 'Breaking Bad': Dark Side of the Dream - The Hollywood Reporter

And chock-full-of-spoilers after: Spoiled Bastard: 'Breaking Bad' Season 4 Premiere: 'Box Cutter' - Hollywood Reporter
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #106
Radii
Head Coach

Breaking Bad Insider Podcast

One of the show's editors and Vince Gilligan are on the podcast every week. Bryan Cranston is in this one as well. Scroll to the bottom, ep 401.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #107
Radii
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #108
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tony Todd plays the other hermano I think. He's seen briefly in a trailer for next week.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #109
Radii
Head Coach

I thought the call was from gus, didn't think much of it:

Spoiler
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #110
Butter
Coordinator

I will be very interested to see how the Walt/Gus dynamic plays out at this point, since Walt was stupid enough to lay his intentions out in the open to Mike. I just don't see how Gus can continue on with Walt... but I know they will make me a believer by the end of the season.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #111
Radii
Head Coach

The whole blackjack story scene w/ skyler and walt seemed really drawn out, after that though, incredible stuff.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #112
gi
College Prospect

I thought it was a nice window into each of their characters and how much they haven't changed given all that has happened to them. And the rest was great stuff. I almost wanted the beginning scene to end with, "I'm getting to old for this sh*t" and nice setup to showcase the cartel payback??
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #113
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I like this show, but it has a central problem that seems to afflict every show in the "I've got a secret" genre, being that they keep devolving the characters, making them less endearing/interesting, in the interest of stretching out the plot or the drama.

Hank and Jesse used to be my favorite characters on the show, but they've both been near suicidal husks of crap this season. Last season was just as much about Walt & Skyler's depressing marital bullshit as it was anything else. Though Gus and Mike have become some of the most interesting characters on the show, when I look back on the Crazy 8 and Tuco plots, this stuff is plodding along, and lots of the interesting characters have turned to mush. Again, I do like this show...but it's not the show I started watching. It's gone from kind of a unique, black comedy actioner, to a somewhat standard drama with occasional black and/or comic moments, and it seems it is pretty firmly settled in the latter. I wanted an old nerd trying to play Scarface (poorly), and that's what we got for a season...then things went Desperate Housewives.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #114
Bad-example
College Starter

Wow. Just wow.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't feel as if they would kill off Aaron Paul's character so I find it hard to feel tension. I feel as if the last two episodes are fairly drawn out. It is time to segue into another storyline soon.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #116
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I like this show, but it has a central problem that seems to afflict every show in the "I've got a secret" genre, being that they keep devolving the characters, making them less endearing/interesting, in the interest of stretching out the plot or the drama.

I think the entire point of the show is to take these characters and destroy them. Walt is on the fast track to pure evil, and everything he touches spirals out of control and turns to shit. That's basically the entire purpose of the entire thing. I dunno if there are going to be any good guys left by the time they're done!

So the idea that characters are less endearing now, sure, that's fine. But the idea that there is some kind of hack job being done here to "stretch out" the plot makes me wonder if you've ever seen any other TV ever?! The job they do here moving the characters along, having them react to things that happen to them, to not be one dimensional, to have everything they say or do fit with everything else they say or do... this show does it better than anything since the Wire and anything else ever before that IMO.

Quote:
Hank and Jesse used to be my favorite characters on the show, but they've both been near suicidal husks of crap this season.

I think we're starting to see Hank come around a little on that now, and I hope something makes Jesse turn around. But, the crap they've become makes perfect since given who those characters are. Jesse wasn't just going to go on like nothing happened after killing someone, and Hank was the most macho self-sufficient guy in the world and now he has to be waited on hand and foot. I'd be pissed if they didn't change.

Quote:
Last season was just as much about Walt & Skyler's depressing marital bullshit as it was anything else. Though Gus and Mike have become some of the most interesting characters on the show, when I look back on the Crazy 8 and Tuco plots, this stuff is plodding along, and lots of the interesting characters have turned to mush. Again, I do like this show...but it's not the show I started watching. It's gone from kind of a unique, black comedy actioner, to a somewhat standard drama with occasional black and/or comic moments, and it seems it is pretty firmly settled in the latter. I wanted an old nerd trying to play Scarface (poorly), and that's what we got for a season...then things went Desperate Housewives.

Obviously people like what they like, so yeah, hard to criticize any of that. To me, the writing and acting and visuals in this show are better than anything I've ever seen, and I trust them completely to give me something completely compelling every week. To me, the fact that there aren't Tuco plots every week is what makes the show good. Walt's evolved, maybe not for the better, but he's evolved a hell of a lot from the guy who would go through all the shit he went through with Tuco. He knows better now(despite still being incredibly naive and standing no chance against guys like Mike and Gus), and if they tried to tell me otherwise the show would lose all credibility.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #117
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't feel as if they would kill off Aaron Paul's character so I find it hard to feel tension.

Agree there.

Quote:
I feel as if the last two episodes are fairly drawn out.

Skyler has been my least favorite character from minute one I think. I did like the stuff with her and the car wash, I started to come around on her a little, but the opening to this last episode was too much for me. Too much anal retentive annoying bitch skyler. Reminds me of seeing Janice on my TV during any Sopranos episode.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #118
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rita on Dexter as well
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #119
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
So the idea that characters are less endearing now, sure, that's fine. But the idea that there is some kind of hack job being done here to "stretch out" the plot makes me wonder if you've ever seen any other TV ever?! The job they do here moving the characters along, having them react to things that happen to them, to not be one dimensional, to have everything they say or do fit with everything else they say or do... this show does it better than anything since the Wire and anything else ever before that IMO.

It reminds me to some degree of the character arcs on recent shows like: Weeds, Dexter, Rescue Me, Six Feet Under, and those are just shows I'm familiar with. Part 1 is I've got a secret, and part 2 is everything falls apart domestically, and Part 3 is some sort of redemption. I absolutely don't think it's a hatchet job, and it's definitely well made in all respects, but it doesn't feel as fresh to me as it does to you (or bazillions of others). My essential complaint again, really breaks down to the characters themselves: Walter, Jesse, and Hank are all completely different characters than they were when this show began, and personally I like all three of them less, to varying degrees. I don't think it's necessary that a show makes all of it's characters less likable in order to make 'good TV'....though lots of acclaimed TV folks obviously disagree with me.

That said, I should stress again that I do like the show, and I certainly don't wanna try and convince you or anybody that you should like it any less.

Also: Fuck Skyler. I was gonna end my other screed, and I probably shoulda, since we can seemingly all agree on how much that character blows. Marie is not so awesome either. The womens on this show are shrews.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-09-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #120
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think it's necessary that a show makes all of it's characters less likable in order to make 'good TV'....though lots of acclaimed TV folks obviously disagree with me.

Oh I definitely don't think its necessary in general. But a lot of times because of what the characters in this show are doing it does seem kinda necessary. They didn't have to make Hank unlikable for awhile, but it fits what he's going through, I assume he's out of that funk now though with the events of the last episode.

Jesse is such a messed up kid, I really hate seeing his character like this, but I think its beautiful to see his evolution at the same time. He is by far my favorite character on the show, so flawed but likable. He's doomed, completely, and it sucks. They can't kill him off now presumably, something will turn around again, and we'll cheer for him and then he'll dig a deeper hole. Or more accurately, Walt will dig the hole and Jessie will dive in headfirst. The fact that Aaron Paul is freaking amazing doesn't hurt.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #121
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The acting is top drawer, for sure.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The karaoke Gail bits were fucking priceless. And anytime Odenkirk gets more than a few lines he is like roided up Barry Bonds. He crushes everything.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #123
Bad-example
College Starter

The arc of the main character has repeatedly been described by Gilligan as 'turning Mister Chips into Scarface'. We've never seen anything like this on tv before. When Walt 'broke bad' he set off a chain of events that has been changing everyone around him. Jessie and Skyler are now 'bad', and I suspect it is just a matter of time before Hank turns into the new Mike.

I have disliked Skyler since the first season, but I think that is more about the actress and her raw, meaty slab of a face than about how her character is written.

I never have a problem with the slower bits. I have complete faith in the writers that they will justify everything.

I agree with the comment above that places this show and The Wire as the two best shows of all time. I would say that The Wire had more scope and was fantastic social commentary. Breaking Bad is more of a cautionary tale told with superior artistry and technique.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #124
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just got caught up and... Wow. Just wow. This show is just indescribably good at creating and maintaining tension and Episode 4 is no different.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #125
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

This really is an incredible season. After the time off, all the hype and going into the fourth season I didn't think they could keep matching up. But I think my lofty expectation have been easily surpassed.

Last episode had everything. Awesome bullet points meeting, Mario Cart, Jesse(awesome this season IMHO) and Mike, Gale and a well done blood pumping climax.

I don't know how long they can keep this up.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-12-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #126
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think I read somewhere that they were going to end this series next season.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #127
gi
College Prospect

From wikipedia:

Series creator Vince Gilligan has indicated that he intends to conclude Breaking Bad with the fifth season.[11] Negotiations have begun over a deal regarding the fifth and possible final season between the network AMC and Sony Pictures Television, the production company of the series. AMC proposed a shortened fifth season (six to eight episodes, instead of 13) to cut costs, but the producers declined. Sony has since approached other cable networks about possibly picking up the show if a deal can not be made. Even though Gilligan plans on the fifth to be the final season, the network is looking to keep it around longer if possible, given the increase in ratings with the fourth season
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #128
Radii
Head Coach

oh my god that ending. I'm so fucking happy right now.

Spoiler
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #129
Radii
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #130
Bad-example
College Starter

Television Reviews, TV Shows, TV Reviews, Â*and TV Series Recaps – The Bastard Machine

That link has Tim Goodman's Spoiled Bastard deconstructions for the last three episodes.

The amazing camera work just keeps coming.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #131
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Music has been stellar this season as well. The passion involved in this show oozes from pretty much every artistic decision.

I think the 1st season was pure lightning in a bottle genius, 2 and 3 they were just trying to stretch that success out. With 4 they seem to have said fuck it all, we're going to reset and make it good on it's own.

It feels fresh for the first time since season 1. Which is awesome. My greatest concern coming into this year was it being stale.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #132
Radii
Head Coach

One of the best moments of the series for Cranston IMO. From a review: ""I am the one who knocks!" instantly enters the panthon of bad-ass declarative statements, up there with the likes of "I'll be back," "My name is my name!" and "Say hello to my little friend!"

This episode was just scene after scene of pure standout brilliance. Walt and Skyler there, Walt and Walt Jr "Well if you're gonna buy me off... buy me off", Mike and Jesse over and over and over. Walt immediately figures out what Gus is doing with Jesse, but the "It's all about me!" line makes him look like the most arrogant asshole in the world and succeeds only in driving that wedge in a little bit more just like Gus wants.

Roomba Cam > Shovel Cam, but Shovel Cam was still pretty damn good.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #133
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The last scene between Walt and Skyler was fantastic. "Someone needs to protect this family from the man that protects this family".

And I never get tired of Mike.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #134
Radii
Head Coach

holy shit holy shit holy shit!!

Aside from the obvious holy shit ending...

Aaron Paul locks up supporting actor emmy when he submits this episode, right? The opening was one of the better openings they've done and the meeting talking about "killing a dog" was just stunningly good.

IMO this is two straight episodes where every single scene was gripping, brilliant perfection.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Everyone else is fighting for an Emmy nomination this year.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #136
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Hank. Is. The. Freaking. Man.

It's amazing how this show makes an incredible scene out of a guy sitting at a table talking to other guys for 10 solid minutes.

And so much quiet tension before that. This season just got incredible.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #137
Bad-example
College Starter

Ok, been thinking about Mike.

They have shown a couple scenes with Mike and his daughter, and referenced her a couple other times. Just spit balling here:

1- Mike is absolutely loyal to Gus because he fears what might happen to his little angel.

2- And/or, Walt will turn Mike by kidnapping/threatening the little girl.

Do you guys think Hank will eventually break bad? I'm seeing him as Walt's version of Mike down the road. I mean, once he discovers that all his medical bills were paid with drug money, he won't have much choice...will he?

Also, how dumb is Skyler that she is a bookkeeper yet never thought to ask how much money she would have to launder?

eyebrows of doom ftw.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #138
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Hank. Is. The. Freaking. Man.

It's amazing how this show makes an incredible scene out of a guy sitting at a table talking to other guys for 10 solid minutes.

And so much quiet tension before that. This season just got incredible.

Totally agree, that scene was played out perfectly.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-02-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #139
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Ok, been thinking about Mike.

They have shown a couple scenes with Mike and his daughter, and referenced her a couple other times. Just spit balling here:

1- Mike is absolutely loyal to Gus because he fears what might happen to his little angel.

2- And/or, Walt will turn Mike by kidnapping/threatening the little girl.

Do you guys think Hank will eventually break bad? I'm seeing him as Walt's version of Mike down the road. I mean, once he discovers that all his medical bills were paid with drug money, he won't have much choice...will he?

Also, how dumb is Skyler that she is a bookkeeper yet never thought to ask how much money she would have to launder?

eyebrows of doom ftw.

The idea of Hank breaking bad is interesting, fits with the theme of Walt corrupting everyone around him. It would be tough to pull off, but if any group of writers could it would be these. But it would be a far larger change than any other character on the show has experienced, IMHO.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #140
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
The idea of Hank breaking bad is interesting, fits with the theme of Walt corrupting everyone around him. It would be tough to pull off, but if any group of writers could it would be these. But it would be a far larger change than any other character on the show has experienced, IMHO.

Before last week I would have thought this was very very unlikely. I mean, in general the idea is plausible right? Walt is paying for Hank's rehab and there's a reasonable path they could take to have Hank find out and lead the investigation a different direction. But it just doesn't seem like Hank. Hank's going to get his man and it doesn't matter who it is.

After last week though, I think I could see it a little easier. Not because something is different about Hank, but just the simple fact that they jumped SO quickly tying Gus to Gale with the fingerprints. It seems like there's going to have to be something really major that slows down the investigation knowing how many episodes are left. It doesn't have to be Hank breaking bad, but its one of the options. The suggestion about Gus perhaps being in the DEA supervisor's pocket would be another way, a big focus on a war with the cartel slowing the timeline down a lot, so in terms of the story the investigation goes pretty quickly but in terms of the final season it takes a lot of show hours to get there b/c of a drug war.

I'm sure there's a lot of other options, but so much progress... and just a couple weeks ago we had Walt inside Los Pollos Hermanos giving his name and angrily asking for Gus and storming into the back of the store. It just doesn't seem like it would take long for Hank to piece everything together.

Last edited by Radii : 09-03-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #141
Butter
Coordinator

This season is just as unbelievable as I thought it was going to be.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #142
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
This season is just as unbelievable as I thought it was going to be.

In a good or bad way?
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #143
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm waiting for some badass Hank vs Gus scene where Gus defiantly asks him something to the effect of "how do you think your rehab is being funded?".
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #144
Radii
Head Coach

oh god this show makes me so happy
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #145
Radii
Head Coach

Spoiler

Last edited by Radii : 09-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm assuming there will be some sort if tie in with the Chilean "Caravan of Death"

JURIST - Paper Chase: Chile high court allows Pinochet 'Caravan of Death' case to proceed
Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #147
Bad-example
College Starter

Consistently amazing.

Young Gus...wow. I wonder if Giancarlo Esposito gets an Emmy nomination because he certainly deserves one.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #148
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Young Gus...wow. I wonder if Giancarlo Esposito gets an Emmy nomination because he certainly deserves one.

Also maybe throw an Emmy at the makeup team. He genuinely looked 20 years younger. Great job by them.

If I had less faith in the writers I would start to wonder whether the show might be veering off track a little. It almost feels like Walt has been reduced to a role player in the Gus/cartel/meth lab investigation drama -- as interesting as all that is. But I have full faith that this is all leading back to the main story, just giving us the backstory necessary to fully appreciate the big picture.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #149
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks View Post
In a good or bad way?

In the best possible way.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Also maybe throw an Emmy at the makeup team. He genuinely looked 20 years younger. Great job by them.

If I had less faith in the writers I would start to wonder whether the show might be veering off track a little. It almost feels like Walt has been reduced to a role player in the Gus/cartel/meth lab investigation drama -- as interesting as all that is. But I have full faith that this is all leading back to the main story, just giving us the backstory necessary to fully appreciate the big picture.

Everyone knows that Gus wore air jordans and had a high top fade 20 years ago.