Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #351
Travis
Pro Rookie

Congrats Render, keep adding to the trophy cabinet!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #352
samifan24
Pro Starter

The layoff between seasons is way, way too long. Adam needs to do something about it.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #353
Travis
Pro Rookie

Really? What levels are you having that issue with? I think at worst I've gone 5 or so days between leagues (once I've had a league compliant roster). That said I'm usually going into created leagues (levels 4 and 5).
Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #354
RendeR
Coordinator

Level 3 took quite awhile just recently but there were 2 other levels 3's already running so that added to the problem
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #355
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm a level 5 team even though my team really should be a level 3 or 4.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #356
RendeR
Coordinator

All 3 level 3 teams made the playoffs and yet again one is playing a second so one of them will be boiunced early.

The real good news though:

THE GALACTICANS WON THE LEVEL 2 METRO CUP!!!!

WHOOOOOOT!

Thats two titles for me so far in this game. I'm starting to really enjoy this now that I actually understand some of it =)
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #357
samifan24
Pro Starter

The more I play this game, the more I believe that the only way to ensure long term success and stability is to build through the draft.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #358
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The more I play this game, the more I believe that the only way to ensure long term success and stability is to build through the draft.

You speak wisely.

FA should only be touched to fill cheap holes in your lineup.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #359
bbor
Pro Starter

I agree wholeheartedly

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #360
samifan24
Pro Starter

How do you guys get thousands of credits every season? How many do you have? The teams in my league have six digits. I only just upgraded my arena to a level 3 so finally I'm seeing a pretty good revenue stream and have maxed out everything except for the restaurant. Is a good arena how all these other teams have 500,000+ credits? How are they doing it?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #361
RendeR
Coordinator

Yes, once you max out your level 3 arena and get some playoff games in you'll be seeing a much more solid revenue stream. I just upgraded one team to a level 5 arena, 20,000 capacity, its freakin awesome =)
Old 05-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #362
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Yes, once you max out your level 3 arena and get some playoff games in you'll be seeing a much more solid revenue stream. I just upgraded one team to a level 5 arena, 20,000 capacity, its freakin awesome =)

Does the restaurant really make that big of a difference?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #363
Travis
Pro Rookie

I've got all 3 of my teams with fully maxed out level 5 arenas. I think each has been there for around a season now, but this is what I have for stats:

Team - Fan Base - ~Avg Crowd (last 5 regular season games) - Avg Income/Game

Knights - 128,696 - 16,000 - 790,000
Playoff Income - 1,023,000

Hunters - 114,358 - 12,500 - 600,000
Playoff Income - 860,000

Lynx - 87,025 - 10,800 - 520,000
Playoff Income - None in last 20 (missed the playoffs for the first time with any of my teams, yeah, bad timing I know )
Old 05-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #364
samifan24
Pro Starter

It never occurred to me to immediately max out my arena until this season, my ninth in the game. My fan base is only 3,600 and I'm only now taking in about 5,000 credits per home game. I guess everyone else figured out the max out arena trick right from the bat because I am languishing behind in fan base and credits from those numbers and most of the teams in my league, too.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #365
RendeR
Coordinator

Everything you add to your arenas increases your income immensly. At level 1 adding afood stand doubles your income and brings in more fans, adding the beer stand to that almost triples your original income.

Always always always upgrade your arenas.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #366
samifan24
Pro Starter

If anyone is looking for an offseason trading partner, I am looking to move some big contracts. All three guys I want to move are between 85 and 95 ratings.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #367
RendeR
Coordinator

How does the "consuming" of a contract work? If I consume a contract does it count against MY cap or am I spending credits on it? I don't understand how that works.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #368
Travis
Pro Rookie

If you trade a player in the last year of his contract and consume his contract, essentially you're eating the rest of the contract (this option is only available during the last year of a players contract).

Essentially it's there so you can add picks from a team that otherwise couldn't afford to add the contract.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #369
RendeR
Coordinator

Thanks Travis!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #370
samifan24
Pro Starter

If any of you guys are looking for a league, please join the Manitoba Invitational. We need four more teams and take all levels. I've played against a bunch of these guys before and we always seem to have competitive seasons.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #371
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm assuming it'll be filled before any of my current seasons end, but if it's still needing a team when I have one open I'll jump in.

Also, hit #5 on the power rankings today. Trying to swing one more trade for a consumed salary before my season ends so I can really load up for the playoffs, but this is the highest I've ever been ranked.

Now here's hoping I don't blow it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #372
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
If any of you guys are looking for a league, please join the Manitoba Invitational. We need four more teams and take all levels. I've played against a bunch of these guys before and we always seem to have competitive seasons.

I'm already there.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #373
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm assuming it'll be filled before any of my current seasons end, but if it's still needing a team when I have one open I'll jump in.

Also, hit #5 on the power rankings today. Trying to swing one more trade for a consumed salary before my season ends so I can really load up for the playoffs, but this is the highest I've ever been ranked.

Now here's hoping I don't blow it.

You've always had good teams so I'm not surprised to see you ranked so high in the game. Now, what's your secret?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #374
samifan24
Pro Starter

I wish the game would remind you the day before your season starts that you need to set endorsement deals for the upcoming season. Half the time I never remember to set them and you can't set any of them once the season's started.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #375
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
I wish the game would remind you the day before your season starts that you need to set endorsement deals for the upcoming season. Half the time I never remember to set them and you can't set any of them once the season's started.

+1

I also wish I had known you can't sign people after you are knocked out of the playoffs. I saw on a guy on the waiver wire I wanted and dropped a guy using my first rounder, only to be told YE CANNA DAE IT SONNY! (Only not in a Scottish accent. I might have taken it better if it had been..)

Little things like these are killing me..
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #376
bbor
Pro Starter

ouch....that sux

Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #377
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, here we go. Just made the finals in the Winter Classic III All Levels league.

Why am I posting this? A couple reasons.

First, I haven't won a metro cup with this team since season 5 (currently in season 11), and that was the only metro cup I've won with this team.

Secondly, through drills and daily updates, my team is currently power ranked #3 in Metroho (one 91 rental player and a 92 rated upcoming UFA that I'll lose in the offseason that'll knock me back to my usual 20-50 ranking with this team), the highest I've ever had any of my teams.

Lastly, my opposition. Not sure if any of you have faced trogdor1009 on there or seen him in the forums, but he's a bit "my way or the highway" on the forums and in a few situations his comments to other players have rubbed me the wrong way. Certainly nothing personal or over the top, but a guy I sure wouldn't mind putting away to nab my second MetroCup with this squad. His team is #11 in the power rankings right now, so this should be tight.

One big factor that may play against me is that I've always simmed my games. I know there is supposed to be an advantage to playing them out, but to this point I've got a horrible record when I play them myself, so for the last couple seasons I've straight out simmed with all 3 of my teams. Not sure what I'm going to do for this series, but I'm contemplating playing out at least 1 of my 3 home games tomorrow (it's a best of 7 series) and if that goes well I might play them all out.

If I get hammered then I'm just flat out simming the other two and hoping for the best.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #378
samifan24
Pro Starter

My team has never won a Metro Cup and we're in our 11th season so good luck. I've reached the finals twice but fell short both times, once in a game seven.

I know what you mean about trogdor1009. I'm not a big fan of the guy. He's very pushy on the forums over there.

I always play my games out ever since I learned that there can be a benefit to doing so. I just started having my team play a certain style and now suddenly we're scoring goals like crazy.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #379
Travis
Pro Rookie

This team has been my most frustrating. It's been the highest power ranked team I've had since almost the very start, and does well during the regular season (this season was my 4th dominance trophy with them), but other than the 1 MetrohoCup (season 5), they've never even made the finals until this season. Definitely the choke artists of my 3 teams.

This is how the finals matchup stacks up:

New Bedford Hax (#11, 3 Dominance, 2 Finalist, 41-31 this season)

Akbar (94, Sniper) - Schwinghammer (91, Playmaker) - Rawls (93, Power)
Ermitano (90, Two-Way) - Mugg (91, Playmaker) - Engelking (90, Sniper)
Kao (88, Power) - Smerkar (83, Playmaker) - Vilardi (89, Sniper)
Wascom (80, Sniper) - Wettach (76, Playmaker) - Pry (83, Power)

Sabbagh (92, SaH) - Spice (94, SaH)
Tibbles (89, SaH) - Clearman (88, SaH)
Miyata (83, Offensive) - Hoopes (88, Offensive)

Hardigree (94, Stand Up)
Avalos (91, Hybrid)

vs

The Hunters (#3, 4 Dominance, 1 Metroho Cup, 48-24 this season)

Newville (95, Two-Way) - Boda (96, Playmaker) - Boyd (92, Sniper)
Genous (90, Two-Way) - Caylor (92, Playmaker) - Saka (91, Sniper)
Steinmeyer (87, Two-Way) - Villarin (85, Playmaker) - Harger (91, Sniper)
Getty (82, Two-Way) - Schwager (83, Playmaker) - Ayo (80, Two-Way)

Harger is my rental and ideally I'd have a sniper on the 4th line RW. I've got a guy who is close (Gallwas, 79) but will need to hit the 80 OA to get inserted into the lineup.

Piatak (92, SaH) - Scheidegger (91, Offensive)
Sudbeck (85, SaH) - Carethers (90, Offensive)
Lienhard (85, SaH) - Nevares (83, Offensive)

Dancey (94, Hybrid)
Hohlfeld (94, Hybrid)

My best hope is for his starting goalie to go down, but assuming that (likely) doesn't happen this really has the makings of a 7 games series (I really hope I don't get swept, I think the last time I met him in the playoffs he beat me 4-1, oye).
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #380
RendeR
Coordinator

God I hope you beat him, the guy was a royal butthole to me in messages. Wouldn't shut up and kept trying to get me to do convoluted trades and roster moves.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #381
Travis
Pro Rookie

heh, he accused me of cheating the last time we met up because I just simmed my home games and he couldn't figure out how I played out games so fast that the played time was the same for all 3 games.

I think he'd lose his mind if he lost a series to me with me simming the games. Apparently the thought of somebody just simming playoff home games was enough to throw him off for quite a while.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #382
RendeR
Coordinator

He's freaking anal. I had to tell him "NO I don;t want to sign someone, trade him to you and eat the contract for any number of picks, go away" like 5 times over a period of 3 days.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #383
Travis
Pro Rookie

heh, I had planned on playing out at least my first home game today, but to get the lineups I posted above I clicked on shinny against him, nabbed the lineups then closed the screen. When I logged on today it had simmed out that shinny game with my team winning 5-1, so I did my drills then simmed out the first game to see how I'd do.

5-3 for the good guys. Currently have game 2 in the sim waiting list. Fingers crossed I can take at least 2 of 3 because I'm pretty sure he'll win at least 2 of his home games tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #384
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, game 2 simmed quickly.

He scores the only goal of the first on the PP. The second see's more action as we tie it 8 minutes in, but they answer 2 minutes later to reclaim the lead. Brad Genous pulls us back into a tie at the 15 minute mark and we head into the third dead locked.

Two minutes in rental forward Scott Harger puts us ahead. He also takes a penalty at the 8 minute mark, but after that it's pretty smooth sailing as we take a 2-0 series lead.

Game 3 added to the sim list.

So far we've outshot them 27-21 and 31-23. One more solid effort like that and I'm in good shape for tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #385
Travis
Pro Rookie

Game 3

The Hax take an elbowing penalty at the 6 minute mark but we can't capitalize. Lance Saka gets us on the board a couple minutes later though. The period ends with a scrum after Brian Sabbagh takes a charging penalty.

Not only don't we score on the PP, we hand them an opportunity right back as Nevares takes a roughing penalty just after our PP expires. The Hax make us pay, tieing the game at 1 thanks to a tally by Wascom. For the second straight period the Hax take a penalty at the 6 minute mark, another charging penalty and this time we finally put one on the board as Ross Boyd gives us back our one goal lead. We exchange penalties midway through the period, and again the Hax goon it up as the period comes to a close, this time a boarding call at the 20 minute mark (side note, both penalties as time expired were drawn by Dexter Scheidegger).

With a chance to potentially put this game and the series out of reach with a period opening power play, we fall flat. Thankfully our 5 on 5 play comes to the rescue as Lance Saka extends our lead 5 minutes in, then ices the game at the 18 minute mark. Both teams played a very clean game in the third as no penalties were called.

Final score is 4-1 and we outshot them again 35-26.

So worst case is we'll be coming home for game 7. If we can pluck one game on the road, this series is over.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #386
bbor
Pro Starter

Good luck Travis...give em hell

Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #387
Travis
Pro Rookie

I feel bad in a way as this guy likely doesn't know (or care) who I am, but I'm going to be ticked if I lose to him again. It's one thing playing one of you guys or matching up with Adam, but this guy and gm666 are the only two on the forums who I've developed any sort of disdain for, so I *really* don't want to drop the ball.

Especially now that it would take him sweeping me to do it. That'd sting really bad.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #388
BillyNYC
High School JV

Decided to give this a try, after not doing any online games since semiretiring from Hattrick.

Signed all my players, signed up for the first Level 1 league available, did a few shinnys to get the interface down. Made a few UFA bids, as I wanted to sure up a few spots.

Just played out my first 2 games. Before that, got 2 messages. My 2nd best D-man was injured for 3 days. And the 76-rated D-man that I bid on was mine. Good timing?

Not as good timing as my 1st line sniper scoring in OT...in both games. Guess I can't complain about a start like that, right?

Scoring and shots both seem a bit low (one of the OT games had 32 shots COMBINED), but can deal with that for now. Still, if the issue is systematic (is it?), would think would be easy enough to tweak.

Seems that unlike in Hattrick, a brand new team can sometimes beat much older (and better) teams. Was in the chat room talking about my new team and a 9-season old team shinny'ed me. My new Shaolin Landfills won 3-2. While this is nice (especially since my series has 3 non-newbie teams in it, one of which I beat tonight), it's also a bit concerning. If I feel like my team can win 75% of the time or lose 75% of the time just due to randomness...or if I feel like all my decisions have very little effect on my team's performance, then I feel I might lose interest.

For now, happy to be 2-0 and the honeymoon period is still on.

Update, an hour later: The non-newbie team hosted his games...and I beat him again...in OT again. Different goalscorer this time at least. 3 games, 3 OT wins. Odd.

Any random advice for a newbie?

Last edited by BillyNYC : 06-13-2009 at 03:28 AM.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #389
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Any random advice for a newbie?

Don't acquire players through free agency if you can avoid it. It's better and cheaper to develop your own talent through the draft. You control your young players for longer and a cheap rates. If you fall from contention, I would deal all of your veterans for draft picks.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #390
Travis
Pro Rookie

Ended up picking up the sweep on the road. Was down 2-0 midway through the first then the boys shut the door and decided to play a little offense.

He's got a new league created, I think I'm going to take a break from him for a season though and check out one of the other open level leagues.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #391
RendeR
Coordinator

I thought trogdor WAS gm666?? I thought he just changed Usernames.

picked up another finalist trophy with the Galacticans, makes 2 finalist and 1 cup title in 4 years with that team.

Got the Rats ready to roll in I believe level 4 now. the Bengals and Titanics are still waiting on some players.

I'm actually impressed at how well I stick with this game. Its very basic but it plays out quickly enough to keep me interested.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #392
Travis
Pro Rookie

He could be RendeR, I'll fully admit I don't keep all that up to date on their forums and would explain why I'm not overly fond of either/same guy

And I'll fully agree. I think the season lengths help too as even if you're having a bad season, it's only a few days from that realization until the next season gets going. Even with just a bit of luck it doesn't take too long to get your team turned around through the draft/good UFA rentals.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #393
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is anyone else in a holding pattern because of the overhaul of the drafting system? I was going to draft new players, then cut a high priced veteran and then join a league but now I just have to wait until the new drafting system is implemented so that I can join a league, play the season and then draft players after the season is over. I also can't cut the veteran because it would cost me a draft pick now, not credits which is what I planned to do. I also can't replace that player with my unsigned draft picks because now drafting takes place at the end of the regular season but not the off-season. I think the new drafting system will make the game better but it's frustrating to have to wait like this.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #394
bbor
Pro Starter

totally agree....i went after FA's to fill my team just so i could actually play and not have to wait.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #395
samifan24
Pro Starter

This is bullshit.

The way that Adam is going about "upgrading" to the new drafting system makes all current picks void. I lost two RFAs this off-season and received one 1st and one 2nd round pick as compensation. Now I'm told those two picks, and all five of my picks, are worthless. I can't do anything with them except to buy players out. That's ridiculous.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #396
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Any ideas on the new drafting system?

I had no picks after the "downtime", I now have a 1st rounder.

Another question is the +/- off. and def. orders on the players, more, less, or neutral.

My team is: "The BDD" id 37.

Never really played seriously, being a casual gamer.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #397
aran
High School Varsity

I've read through a few pages of this thread. Seems like it could be a fun game. I'm somewhat concerned about the EA Sports-style player ratings that are all crammed into the top 30 values. Some statements about the randomness of the game bother me, as well.

Is player skill important? Do a lot of people play the game? Is there a microtransaction aspect that makes higher-level play cost money?
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #398
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I've read through a few pages of this thread. Seems like it could be a fun game. I'm somewhat concerned about the EA Sports-style player ratings that are all crammed into the top 30 values. Some statements about the randomness of the game bother me, as well.

Is player skill important? Do a lot of people play the game? Is there a microtransaction aspect that makes higher-level play cost money?

It's more about "types" of players, snipers, playmakers, power forwards,
2-way forwards, and checkers on offense. Defense is either offensive or defensive defenders.

How these types are placed in your lines is a strategy in itself.

One problem I have is length of the offseason.

How long you sign your players is important also.
If it's a franchise player, I will give them the max allowable for rookies.
Roster filler and marginal rookies, I usually give at most, 3 years.

RFA's and FA's, I rarely touch, unless absolutely needed.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #399
samifan24
Pro Starter

My league still needs another team to sign up but I went from having 2 1st, 2 2nd and one 3rd round pick to 1, 1, 1 under the new system. I am not happy about that.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #400
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
My league still needs another team to sign up but I went from having 2 1st, 2 2nd and one 3rd round pick to 1, 1, 1 under the new system. I am not happy about that.

I had a 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds, lost all after the "downtime", only received a 1st rounder back, no 2nd or 3rd.

Maybe I'll get a 2nd and 3rd after my leagues playoffs end.