Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Buying A New Car...

Hey, I know we ahev some car enthusiasts here, so I figured I would solicit some general advice from y'all.

I am in the market for a new car. I have looked around at Edmunds.com and on Carmax, and I am about ready to go visit a dealership or two.

I am trying to stay under $20,000. I am looking used more than new, but I'll buy new if it's the best deal for me. I have two sets of requirements which are warring against each other.

Requirements #1: I want a decently reliable car with good gas mileage. If it also holds its value well as well, great.

Requriements #2: I'm single and out there dating; can't be a dumpy car. I am looking at coupes mostly and aiming to get something with a sleek or sporty look. I also like a car with at least a little bit of power, as I am an aggressive driver.

Requirements #1 has me looking at Honda/Toyota types, while Requirements #2 has me looking at Mustangs and Camaros. I need to find a happy middle ground.

Some suggestions have been made to me or that I have come up with, so perhaps I can get some feedback on these. Not all of these may be coupes.

Nissan Altima (one of the sportier versions)
Hyundai Sonata
Hyundai Genesis
Honda Civic
Kia (I forget the model that was suggested)
VW Jetta/Passat

I have also given thought to looking at a sporty Mercedes, but obviously it would be an older one (mid-2000s at latest, I assume I can't afford newer).

I would prefer 30 mpg highway at least, preferably 2006 or later.

I am open to leasing new if that's a better deal (I know Hyundai has some lease deals going on right now), but not sure of the arguments pro and con leasing as opposed to buying. I am pretty sure I can't afford buying new.

Any opinions on these brands or models? Or are there other brands and models I should be considering?

Thanks for any help.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

Mazda 3
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

Joe beat me to it. I love my Mazda 3 and even the top end models should be within your price range.

It absolutely destroys the Civic in every category IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Cool, wasn't even thinking about Mazdas. I'll check it out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Rizon
Pro Starter

Civic or Mazda3. I like the Civic better just because it's been a good car line for a long time and Mazda 3 just recently started being awesome. Can't go wrong with either.

Also ... negotiate up from the price the dealership paid for the car and not down from the sticker price. Though with these cars supply/demand might not give you much room to negotiate and they're pretty inexpensive anyways.

If you are single and dating, seriously, don't get the Mustang or Camaro, unless you are a teenager or dating teenagers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
If you are single and dating, seriously, don't get the Mustang or Camaro, unless you are a teenager or dating teenagers.

Haha neither, lol. I wasn't seriously looking to get either because it was too far out of what I was looking to get with respect to reliability and gas mileage. But those were the ones popping up the most when I was looking at sportier models.

I like the new Mustang look, I admit. But yeah I kinda felt I needed a classier looking car.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Depending on the make and the price range you are looking at, you might consider going the "certified pre-owned (aka used)" route - the advantage this usually provides over a private party used car sale is that the certified used adds some warranty to the car.

I splurged on a nice car a couple years ago that was 2 years old and had 2 years remaining on the original warranty. Because it was a "certified pre-owned", it added 2 more years to the warranty, so I got what was in essence a new car warranty at a used car price, along with 24K miles of use already on the car. Certified will cost a bit more over a normal used, but you might find the added warranty more than makes up for that.

If you have access to Consumer Reports, it's not a bad idea to check out their most recent yearly reviews to get an idea of how the various makes & models perform in terms of reliability. And be aware that the same model and year can vary in reliability depending on the type of engine - I know that for a while Audi/VW was having some issues with their 4-cylinder 1.8 (and later 2.0) liter, while the 2.8 (and later 3.0) liter 6-cylinder was much more reliable. Just something to keep in mind as you search - focus as much as you can not just on make reliability, but model reliability and specifically which configuration of that model.

Last edited by dawgfan : 10-18-2011 at 07:07 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Haha neither, lol. I wasn't seriously looking to get either because it was too far out of what I was looking to get with respect to reliability and gas mileage. But those were the ones popping up the most when I was looking at sportier models.

I like the new Mustang look, I admit. But yeah I kinda felt I needed a classier looking car.

Hey, if you want chicks with miniskirts, crabs and who will take all your money while chewing gum and yapping on and on about some sort of drama ....

I do like the body styles of those cars, but as someone who knows people with those cars plus I've personally run with the Camaro/Mustang/Firebird crowds ... those cars attract a certain kind of wom .. I mean girl. And they ain't classy. But a Civic or Mazda3 will attract the down-to-earth types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i love the mazda 3 too, but id definitely look into used luxury cars at 20k
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW a new 2011 v6 mustang will get 30+ mpg and 300+ hp..faster than a mid 90's (or 80's) GT V8... all in a 22k price range new.

No comment on the type attracted to those cars...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

I have an 09 Jetta, been very pleased with it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
FWIW a new 2011 v6 mustang will get 30+ mpg and 300+ hp..faster than a mid 90's (or 80's) GT V8... all in a 22k price range new...
Yeah, the fuel efficiency of engines has improved dramatically even in the last 10 years without sacrificing power.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
dzilla77
High School Varsity

You might look at a Ford Fiesta or a Focus. Both have sporty models with good pickup.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post
You might look at a Ford Fiesta or a Focus. Both have sporty models with good pickup.

Heh... I am driving my Mom's Ford Focus at the moment (a 2002 model). Not really all that excited about Fords.

But I'll take a look at the newer models.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

With your needs, I would look at a 2005-06ish Acura TL.

Very good looking, sporty, engine has some pick up, and it is in your price range. Mileage may hurt, though.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Heh... I am driving my Mom's Ford Focus at the moment (a 2002 model). Not really all that excited about Fords.

I didn't have the greatest reliability either with my '94 SHO, but recent vintage Fords are rated right there at the top of the heap in terms of reliability. They've gotten their act together in the last several years and are worth another look.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - if you're a serious driver, I'd also consider a WRX. Those things (especially the STI versions) are seriously fast and agile, though also not as comfy due to very stiff suspensions. Really fun cars to drive. If I wasn't married and with kid, there's a good chance that would have been my most recent car purchase...
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bump for the East Coast folks (and thank you all for the comments so far; this is really helping me)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:

The new focus isn't your mom's Focus. Powertrains have improved substantially in terms of HP and fuel economy.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
gstelmack
Pro Starter

For cheap I bought a Honda Fit a few months ago that's been working out great for us. You can get a spoiler and stay under $20K if sporty is important to you. But for basic transportation around town, it's been great.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The newer Focus's are actually good looking cars if you ask me.

Have you looked into the Ford Fusion or the Chevy Cruze at all? These aren't exactly under your requirement #2, but from what I've heard they seem like really nice fucking cars. If I were to buy right now my first stop would be to test drive a Fusion.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 10-19-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

In the mid-size sedan market, there are a lot of attractive options. The Fusion is a nice car - well worth checking out. Also check out the Korean cars: The Hyundai Sonata is a slick-looking "4-door coupe" (aka low roof-line sedan like the VW CC) and the Kia Optima is another attractive mid-size sedan. You get great warranties with the Korean cars too.

You might also consider a Jetta TDI - fantastic mileage (pretty sure they get in the mid-40's), and the turbo diesel provides a lot of torque. Fun cars to drive.

If you're into more luxury, you could check out older Infinity G35's or Lexus IS250's/350's. The Japanese makes in general are a bit more reliable than the German makes. The G35 in particular would give you a great combination of fun driving (those things are great performing cars) with curbside appeal. You'd probably have to go back about 4 years or so to fit under a $20K budget, but that's not terribly old.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quite happy with my Fusion.

One thing to note is the Mazda (the 3 or the 6) feels cramped to me. They are just a smidge smaller on the inside than their competitors, enough to where it annoyed me.

The Altima is always solid, though the 4 cylinder version feels a little weak, power wise.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-19-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Quite happy with my Fusion.

One thing to note is the Mazda (the 3 or the 6) feels cramped to me. They are just a smidge smaller on the inside than their competitors, enough to where it annoyed me.

The Altima is always solid, though the 4 cylinder version feels a little weak, power wise.

Really? I can see that with a Mazda 3 (which my sis has), but my 2010 Mazda 6 feels huge. The back seat is massive, and I'm never cramped in the front seat either.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Guy at work has a 6, and it feels just a little more cramped than my Fusion (I've driven his a couple times). Enough to where I notice, at least. Mileage (no pun intended) may vary, of course, but that was my opinion.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-19-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Guy at work has a 6, and it feels just a little more cramped than my Fusion (I've driven his a couple times). Enough to where I notice, at least. Mileage (no pun intended) may vary, of course, but that was my opinion.

Hmm. Odd.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Blackadar
Retired

CR, what did you get?

My 14 year old Subaru has finally given up the ghost - or, more appropriately, I'm putting it out to pasture. It needs about $2,500 worth of work on it and I'm not putting that much into an old car. So I guess I'm the new car market.

Shit.

I'll consider new or used, but I want to stay around or under $20k. Good gas mileage is a must. Looks aren't that important, but safety is. Need to be able to get a good toddler car seat in and out of it. It's essentially a "runabout" vehicle for the wife - local errands and such.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If it's just a runabout vehicle for the wife you should totally look used man.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
McLovin
Mascot

What about a 2009 or so 350z ? Sporty, a lot of fun to drive, under 20k.Reliable. Mpg might be lower though.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Everytime a thread like this pops up i'm obligated to remind everyone i work for ford and can get you friends and family discount on a new vehicle if you choose to get Something from the ford family..

The 2012 escapes are getting huge incentives/rebates to clear out the lot for the redesigned 2013's coming soon.. you get both the rebates and incentives plus my discount..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Everytime a thread like this pops up i'm obligated to remind everyone i work for ford and can get you friends and family discount on a new vehicle if you choose to get Something from the ford family..

The 2012 escapes are getting huge incentives/rebates to clear out the lot for the redesigned 2013's coming soon.. you get both the rebates and incentives plus my discount..

I didn't remember this was the case. Yikes.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I'm buying a new car as well. I'm looking mid-sized sedan in the 25K range. At first, I really considered used. But the price on low-mileage used cars that I have seen seem to hit really close to what the MSRP is on the new cars. Plus, getting exactly what you want on a new one is much easier. I keep cars till their wheels fall off, so getting one used probably just costs me a couple of years use.

Anyway, opinions on mid-sized sedans right now?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
Ragone
Pro Rookie

yea.. But i'm telling you man, the 2013 escapes are really nice looking.. seen a few on the road testing lot of my plant..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
GrantDawg

Quote:

We need to talk.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
GrantDawg

Quote:
yea.. But i'm telling you man, the 2013 escapes are really nice looking.. seen a few on the road testing lot of my plant..

Dang you are fast. When are they hitting the lots? My wife looked at a 2012 a couple of weeks ago and was turned off. The interior doors are way too cheap looking (no offense).
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Ragone, I may be taking you up on that offer.

I'm pushing the wife to consider the 2012 Focus. Ultimately, I'm not the one deciding, but that's one that should be right up her alley. Can you PM me and tell me how that Friends/Family program works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

Probably so. But I want something with some sort of warranty on it - I can't afford to drop $10k on Joe's Used Toyota and then get stuck putting a new transmission in it 6 months later. So that leaves dealer used cars and in many cases they're really not that much cheaper. I'd rather spend $20k on a new car than $14k on a used car to be honest. That may not be logical/rational/financially smart, though.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-07-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
We need to talk.

Not a problem, I can easily generate a pin # for you to take to dealership.. would need a little info from you.. and if you decide to go another way no big deal..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Not a problem, I can easily generate a pin # for you to take to dealership.. would need a little info from you.. and if you decide to go another way no big deal..

Just in case you missed it - look at the message right above yours.

Tyvm.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-07-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #39
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What kind of rebates and incentives do you get outside of the friends and family discount? Looking at Ford's site, I find it surprising that the Escape is only 2K more than the Fusion.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
GrantDawg

Quote:

PM? Or would rather I/you call? I definitely am interested.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
The newer Focus's are actually good looking cars if you ask me.

Have you looked into the Ford Fusion or the Chevy Cruze at all? These aren't exactly under your requirement #2, but from what I've heard they seem like really nice fucking cars. If I were to buy right now my first stop would be to test drive a Fusion.

I'd hold off for the 2013 Fusion, personally. But I'm not a fan of the current Fusion body style. I like the Focus though.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

That's interesting since they are both pretty much the same car, just with different styling.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #43
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Dang you are fast. When are they hitting the lots? My wife looked at a 2012 a couple of weeks ago and was turned off. The interior doors are way too cheap looking (no offense).

You know, i didn't like the door panels on 2012 either.. or the boxy nature of it.. 2013 looks more like a cross between edge/ redesigned explorer.. only a bit smaller..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #44
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Is your offer comparable or lower than Xplan?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #45
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
PM? Or would rather I/you call? I definitely am interested.

pm is fine.. the info i need isn't too personal..
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #46
GrantDawg

Quote:
You know, i didn't like the door panels on 2012 either.. or the boxy nature of it.. 2013 looks more like a cross between edge/ redesigned explorer.. only a bit smaller..

Need to research that. Fusion redesign is really nice as well. Makes me almost want to wait till they hit the streets, but I don't really want to wait much longer. Very tired of only having one car.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #47
Pyser
Pro Rookie

awesome offer ragone. i believe ill be in touch later this year!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
CR, what did you get?

Man, I am absolutely floored that I never came back to this thread and announced what I got. You woulda thought that would be one of the first online things I did in this forum after buying.

I bought a 6 speed (that's right, a manual, I love it) 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, new off the lot (priced to move ahead of the 2012s). It's very sporty looking, looks a little like a Porsche. I bought an all black body, with tinted windows and it came woth custom rims that look pretty sweet. It's a turbo that has some pretty nice giddyup, and it comes with Hyundai's great 10 year warranty.

It doesn't quite get the mileage I was looking for, but it's still much better than an actual sports car, and it handles exactly the way I like it, especially being a stick. And I get tons of compliments on it, great looking car.

Good luck with your hunt. I don't think what I got would work for you.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #49
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Man, I am absolutely floored that I never came back to this thread and announced what I got. You woulda thought that would be one of the first online things I did in this forum after buying.

I bought a 6 speed (that's right, a manual, I love it) 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, new off the lot (priced to move ahead of the 2012s). It's very sporty looking, looks a little like a Porsche. I bought an all black body, with tinted windows and it came woth custom rims that look pretty sweet. It's a turbo that has some pretty nice giddyup, and it comes with Hyundai's great 10 year warranty.

It doesn't quite get the mileage I was looking for, but it's still much better than an actual sports car, and it handles exactly the way I like it, especially being a stick. And I get tons of compliments on it, great looking car.

Good luck with your hunt. I don't think what I got would work for you.

I had to go look that up. That is a great looking car. I swear Hyundai has some of the best car designers in terms of appearance.

It wouldn't work for me, but gratz!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

My wife got a Hyundai Sonata when her Volvo packed up just before christmas, it was a year old and fitted into all of your specs with some room to spare.

(personally speaking I'd avoid leasing, just from personal experience - I don't consider myself a 'long range' driver but I'm having to work at not exceeding the driving milage on my Explorer and I took the maximum they allowed as it was)

PS - We had a Nissan Altima coupe when we first moved to Florida and I loved it from a 'play' perspective, ie. quite nippy and you could do some nice wheel spins in it if you weren't careful when pulling away .... from a practical perspective though the Hyundai is a nicer car with better features and mileage.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote