Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Special place in hell for people like this ..

Kevin O'Leary is the devil..

Kevin O'Leary says 3.5 billion people living in poverty is 'fantastic news' - YouTube

A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I'm not generally a fan of his. I know his personality on Shark Tank is "manufactured" and he's used as the "recap guy" by the producers to drive the action along, but he's got to pay the price for that in likeability ultimately.

It also doesn't help that they tout him as some software genuis with this big $3.8 billion dollar deal, and then you remember it was The Learning Company being bought in a stock-swap by Mattel, in what was a disaster of an acquisition. In my mind that basically makes him equal to those Autonomy guys who got that huge inflated deal from HP and then HP had to take a massive writedown on it. Not saying Learning Company was cooking the books, but it's not such an impressive deal when you realize it was a pretty inflated valuation.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If I ever went on that show, he is the one Shark I would never take a deal from. I've never trusted him.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Haha. He's just a stupid person. I'm not going to put any more thought into it than that.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If I ever went on that show, he is the one Shark I would never take a deal from. I've never trusted him.

Yeah, all of his perpetual royalty deals...I'm just waiting for one of the people pitching to just flat out tell him off for always offering those to people and trying to take advantage of them (and then presumably get a nice deal from Mark Cuban in exchange).

Then again I think 90% of the value of the show to the people pitching is in the exposure. Whether or not they get a deal, the ones with viable products and good pitches get a free primetime mini-infomercial out of it.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Bain made all the money in that deal. He really isn't as wealthy as he makes himself out to be.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life View Post

Misleading title to the youtube link. Nowhere does it say 3.5 billion people living in poverty that I heard. She mentions the people living in poverty that are part of 3.5 bilion number.

Granted he comes off as a total jackass but I would hardly waste enough thought about the guy to worry about there being a 'special place in hell' for him. I would reserve that spot for child molestors and terrorists.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Bain made all the money in that deal. He really isn't as wealthy as he makes himself out to be.

Yup.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I would reserve that spot for child molestors and terrorists.

And people who talk at the theater.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
And people who talk at the theater.

"Don't go in that door! Don't do it!"
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

This.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if anyone saw the cupcake jar Shark Tank, but he basically took those girls for like 50% of their profits until he was paid back and then got like a 20-35% of their profit in royalty per unit sold after that. They seemed like they were doing well, and the exposure of the show is worth a lot. But the deal was just so bad and they only got like 50K out of him. He essentially stole the lions share of their operation and they were too dumb to realize it.

I believe the deal was like $1 on every unit til they paid back 50k(their profit per unit was roughly $2) and then 50cents per unit forever.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I dunno if anyone saw the cupcake jar Shark Tank, but he basically took those girls for like 50% of their profits until he was paid back and then got like a 20-35% of their profit in royalty per unit sold after that. They seemed like they were doing well, and the exposure of the show is worth a lot. But the deal was just so bad and they only got like 50K out of him. He essentially stole the lions share of their operation and they were too dumb to realize it.

I believe the deal was like $1 on every unit til they paid back 50k(their profit per unit was roughly $2) and then 50cents per unit forever.

Yeah. I feel like, compared to the other Sharks, he CONSISTENTLY offers the worst deal. I mean shit - he basically comes out in all the negotiations and says "I don't want to have to put in any effort, I just want to be your bank. Print me money." And I feel like he does that maybe because he's not as well-off as say Daymond John or certainly Mark Cuban.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

I find it kind of interesting to see a slimey businessman try, and sometimes succeed, at taking advantage of young entrepreneurs. I mean, that's probably a common real-life dynamic that's somewhat faithfully reproduced in the show. You can feel the tension and conflict in the entrepreneurs when he does that, and that kind of works in the context of reality TV. A show like that needs a slimeball character.

And I haven't watched a lot, and I only started this season, but it seems like Mark Cuban doesn't make very many offers.

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2014 at 06:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I find it kind of interesting to see a slimey businessman try, and sometimes succeed, at taking advantage of young entrepreneurs. I mean, that's probably a common real-life dynamic that's somewhat faithfully reproduced in the show. You can feel the tension and conflict in the entrepreneurs when he does that, and that kind of works in the context of reality TV. A show like that needs a slimeball character.

And I haven't watched a lot, and I only started this season, but it seems like Mark Cuban doesn't make very many offers.

Cuban makes a bunch of offers, and typically they're actually pretty good. He's been known to like...give young entrepreneurs the like 50k they're asking for or whatever on really generous terms (in one case I recall) when nobody else will, or back things just because he thinks they'll like...have a positive social impact or whatever.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We need a shark tank thread.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I hardly watch the show, but I think Mark backed the Christmas tree dude out of goodwill.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I hardly watch the show, but I think Mark backed the Christmas tree dude out of goodwill.

That was one.

I was also thinking of this one kid - I think it was like all natural dog treats? And he only wanted like $10,000 or something?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That was one.

I was also thinking of this one kid - I think it was like all natural dog treats? And he only wanted like $10,000 or something?

The guy who draws cat pictures was another investment that I wouldn't have seen any of the other sharks making.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The guy who draws cat pictures was another investment that I wouldn't have seen any of the other sharks making.

Lol yeah
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

That's exactly who I thought of.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I remember that one and I was like "Are you fucking kidding me? Don't take that deal!"

Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

Cuban also has a lot more money than any of the other sharks. I don't think he cares all that much how they turn out, he's in it for fun/publicity.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote