Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #201
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Fallout 2 is solid, but all of those games are in the Baldur's Gate engine of games, and therefore I consider the BG pick representative of the group. If I were to pick another game from that group, it'd be Fallout 2.

Wait a sec... if Fallout is in the same 'engine of games' as Baldur's Gate then how in the world did Crusader Kings and EUII both make it on the list? That's far more of the same 'engine of games'.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #202
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

Wait a sec... if Fallout is in the same 'engine of games' as Baldur's Gate then how in the world did Crusader Kings and EUII both make it on the list? That's far more of the same 'engine of games'.

Yep. Seems like there is some inconsistency in that regard.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #203
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui

I never said it was banned for that reason, I simply said that I feel BG was the best of the group, and if the best of the group barely charts, nothing else is.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #204
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think we should keep in mind that any list of this kind will be subjective, one person's favorite game might be a game another person has never played, or really disliked. I think Anxiety did a great job with this list! (Though leaving Planescape:Torment out makes baby Jesus cry.)

Last edited by Peregrine : 08-04-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #205
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Even though I don't play CM/FM, I can understand why it would be #1. Very nice work (even if I didn't like the #2 pick).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #206
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Even though I don't play CM/FM, I can understand why it would be #1. Very nice work (even if I didn't like the #2 pick).

Yeah CM/FM is one of those games that even though I can never get into it and it wouldn't be in my top 30 at all, I can see its merits and how it would be a #1 game for its fans.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #207
Daimyo
College Starter

While I disagree with several of the picks, my top five all time all made the list at some point so I guess its pretty solid.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I liked a couple of the top 5. UO, for sure- basically have to choose either UO or EQ as they were the big games that got MMORPG's started. Frankly, I fall in with the UO camp so I agree with its choice. Morrowind- possibly but it's too soon right now to tell. It could very well be up there in 10 years when history revisits this list.

The Starcraft/Warcraft omission is just way too glaring- easily top 5. No Quest games from back in the day, be it King's or Space? Also, not nearly enough console games. I figured from the comments about how PC games make up a majority of games in history, we'd be getting a list of some older stuff. Speaking of which, no idsoftware FPS's? Wolfenstein pretty much invented modern FPSs and Quake revolutionized online gaming.

I guess the discussion on the above points is whether this is "Abe's favorite games of all time" or "Abe's best games of all time" as that's a really important distinction. A list of my 5 or 50 favorite games and 5 or 50 best games has a little overlap but it's a very different list. I think this one falls into the favorite games category more than the best games category. Some huge omissions and a pair of text-based sims.

If I have some time in the future, I'd love to create a thread like this. Heck, even post it to Gamenikki as a feature. Now, if only I could find the time...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #209
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
Before it got taken over by carebears, UO was the best PvP game ever. People are to dam lazy in MMORPG'S. They want nice shiny loot and they wanna kill big mean computer controlled dragons.

Old school UO there was actual FEAR when you left town. Fear that at any second some PvP'er could come along and nail you. I do admit that there were quite a few griefers and they sucked. But nothing felt better when you finally got a nice sized crew together, then went and took out those griefers. Nothing you do in modern day MMORPG's comes close to that feeling.

I know we've gone around and around on this before, but UO was filled with griefers and the good PvP'ers were much fewer and further between.

SI

Old 08-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #210
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It's great to read all of your comments. Thanks guys!!!

Old 08-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #211
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A couple of interesting things about this:

I picked up Half-Life, reistalled it, and played through the single player campaign again.

I then played several days of Angband.

Then I played the last few days some Morrowind.

I caused myself to play old games

Old 08-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #212
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
A couple of interesting things about this:

I picked up Half-Life, reistalled it, and played through the single player campaign again.

I then played several days of Angband.

Then I played the last few days some Morrowind.

I caused myself to play old games

Ironically enough, I've done the same thing with a game that's higher up on my own list than the two already revealed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:23 AM   #213
JeffW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Let's create some controversy with the next pick. Maybe.

8. Angband
Alex Cutler and Andy Astrand, 1990 - 1991, 1991 - 1993: Sean Marsh and Geoff Hill, 1993 - 1994: Charles Swinger, 1994 - 2000: Ben Harrison, 2000 - Now: Robert Ruhlman
Unix (Later, Mac, PC, OS/2, Unix, and Pretty Much Every System Ever)
GameSpot Review - 9.4 *

A much better Roguelike game is Crawl:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/

It's a lot tougher than Angband, but it has a faster pace, more varied characters and it de-emphasizes scumming(i.e. like visiting the same depths over and over again to generate potions of stat gain in Angband).

Here are some helpful links detailing the strategy/tactics of a Crawl expert too read once you've gotten started:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...rch+this+group

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...d053240a6e8c7a

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...681fe0f9314c36
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #214
Bee
Pro Starter

The last time I tried Crawl, it had a ton of bugs. Have those been fixed?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:33 AM   #215
JeffW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
The last time I tried Crawl, it had a ton of bugs. Have those been fixed?

When was the last time you played? There are *very few* bugs in the current version--I can't think of any that harm my enjoyment of the game much. It's also got far fewer balance issues than say, Nethack or ADOM.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #216
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Where's Tetris?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #217
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Where's Tetris?

right where it should be.... not on this list
Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #218
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

Great thread, Anxiety! Really brought back some memories. I've always judged a game my how much mental bandwidth they took up when I was not playing them.

Using that as my guide, I'd have to say Ultima Online is my all-time favorite game. The pure open-endedness of it was pure greatness. After that, I'd have to say Ancient Art of War.

Thanks for the time you spent on this.
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #219
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #220
AgustusM
College Prospect

follow up for me.

As I posted earlier - this list inspired me to purchase 2 of these games that i had never played (there were others that I never played, but was not inspired to purchase) EU2 and Tropico. I got each for around 20 bucks.

Now I haven't had a lot of time to play, but my very initial impressions are thus:

EU2 - I like the look and feel of the game, but I only made it though the tutorial and have not made it back. something about the game is failing to make an impression on me. Perhaps it is my vast knowledge of American History and equally un-vast knowledge of European history - whatever it is, this one is failing to hold my interest and with Madden less then 2 weeks away is seems unlikely I will play this much.

Tropico on the other hand has been a hoot. I can't believe I missed this game when it first came out. I am deeply immersed in this game (although I suck rather bad at it right now) and I can see myself playing this for quite a while.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #221
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Glad you are 1 for 1!!!

I don't know nearly as much about Euro history as American, and I loved it for just that reason. There's a Beer Revolution in some country or other, for example, and when that happened in game the first time, I just laughed and laughed.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #222
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bump.

This thread got me interested in play Sim City 4 again and, once again, I am enjoying it very much. Although I am a bit pissed that I can't find my copy of Rush Hour. I even found the case for RH, but no disk.

Also of note, while looking through my old games to see if I could find RH, I found my copy of M&M6. I will have to give it a good try now, as the machine I had at the time it came out couldn't quite handle it and the slow speed of it made me give up on it early.

I also might give Tropico another whirl, as I found it, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #223
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Can you tell by looking at this map which buidling have been abandoned?

If the demand for cheap housing outstripped your ability to provide it, lower level citizens would take over a more expensive place. You'd sometimes see mansions get overwhelmed by lower level cits, and more of them can fit into a mansio that high level cits could, so it would sometimes put a lot of pressure on your transportation network.

Yes, but why did whole blocks become abandoned in this case?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #224
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Yes, but why did whole blocks become abandoned in this case?

Not Abe, but just saw this...

Blocks can become abandoned for any number of reasons. Pollution can damage previously valuable land and cause people to move out in a hurry, as can horrible traffic, high taxes, poor school/police/fire/health coverage, or lack of jobs. Buildings often seem to get built up and then, as time goes, by people move away to more desirable locations and the buildings become dilapidated.

On a SC4-related note to Abe (if you are still following this thread), have you found a good way to make cargo and/or passenger trains run effectively. I tried to set some up to spur on my industries and also to relieve traffic, but they get 0% usage. Not sure if I am missing something stupid or what. I have built the stations, put them near industrial and commercial areas and given the stations both road and rail access. Any ideas?

Last edited by Swaggs : 08-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #225
Swaggs
Coordinator

Edit: Got a little submit button happy.

Last edited by Swaggs : 08-15-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #226
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I pretty much dodge trains altogether. I started playing a new city a few days ago. I have ferries, buses, and I'm about to begin work on a subway system. I find trains for freight especailly are only useful on a few maps, and then only if you don't plan ahead.

My new city is an industry heavy city, but I have the industry near the edges of the map, so that they have quick frieght routes. Then I slap down a seaport for the more inland industry and I'm good to go.

I think you only need industrail trains for inland industry thats not near water. For passanger trains, I'd rather stick with subways, ferries and the other basics.

-Anxiety

Old 08-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #227
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Not Abe, but just saw this...

Blocks can become abandoned for any number of reasons. Pollution can damage previously valuable land and cause people to move out in a hurry, as can horrible traffic, high taxes, poor school/police/fire/health coverage, or lack of jobs. Buildings often seem to get built up and then, as time goes, by people move away to more desirable locations and the buildings become dilapidated.

I know SimCity and how it works. I was asking specifically about this case because he said this

Quote:
If the demand for cheap housing outstripped your ability to provide it, lower level citizens would take over a more expensive place. You'd sometimes see mansions get overwhelmed by lower level cits, and more of them can fit into a mansio that high level cits could, so it would sometimes put a lot of pressure on your transportation network.

That may have been a disconnected thought but it followed right after the question about these blocks being disbanded.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #228
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That's not disconnected actually Buc, and a good catch. If you have, say, a high level density apartment complex that houses 150 high level sims, and demand for high level sims lowers while it remains contant or increases for lower level sims, lower level sims could move in. That same building could house 500 of the lowest class sims. It will look like stressed building, that hasn't been cleaned with gunk and what around it. It looks ugly, just like real life. This severe increase in the number of people can overtax your mass transit. For example, the wealthy probably used cars and the subway. The lower class will use buses, so a nearby bus station will get hundreds of new people using it. One bus station can transport, at max, 1000 people before it loses efficiancy. If the closest bus station was already at, say 75% capacity, this one change in this one building will likely throw it over the edge and probably by a hundred or more. This will slow down the bus route, then people can't get to jobs, and they start leaving, and buildings cease being stressed and become abandoned, fire hazards, and crime magnets.

It's all interconnected baby.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 08-15-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Whoa, that's cool. That's beyond the level of interaction that just blew me away about SC2K.

SI

Old 08-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #230
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully, SI, you can see why I chose SC4 over other options

Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #231
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Bump for the people reading this from my SCG article today.

Hey All!!!

-Anxiety (Abe)

Old 12-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #232
Izulde
Head Coach

that reminds me, I need to update my own list... except if I did it over again, there'd be a new addition possibly. :o

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 AM   #233
Fouts
College Starter

Great list Anxiety. I enjoyed reading it, and some of them bring back good memories. I loved Master of Magic, and wished somebody would recreate that again. I am more of an RPG (Baldur's Gate, IWD, Wizardry, HOMM) type of gamer. I have never even played most of the console games on your list.

Thanks for posting your list.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #234
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NP Fouts! Glad ya like it!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #235
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just finished a fairly long stint for around three-five weeks playing Oblivion (around 80 hours all told). I was lookign forward to playing this game like you could not believe, but I put it off until I acquired a DVD Rom for my PC.

I am very disappointed in teh game. Sure, it was a good game and worth the purchase, but it just didn;t stand up well to its predecessor at all.

My quick eval of Oblivion is that it did not improve on any of the weaknesses of Morrowind yet it had brand new weaknessed.

Now in detail.

Oblivion is another sprawling world where you adventure and explore. Sorta. See in Morrowind you are encouraged to explore. The world is populated regularly all over the place and there are tons of small towns, dungeons, crypts, and more all over teh place. Some of these palces can be explored in a few minutes, others take some time. The wrold is real and vibrant.

Oblivion wilderness exploration falls into several major gaps. First of all, there are sections of the world with few to no places in which to delve. I once spent an hour climbing mountains int eh east and Northeast to in no dungeons, no shrines, no sights, no mines, no ayeleid ruins - nothing.

Secondly, the world is populated only sproadically, and at times it feels like you are adventuring through candy-land with nary a creature in sight. That never happened in Morrowind. All of the creatures you do fight overground are boring and make little ecological sense. In Morrowind, for example, you had a Cliff Racer - an aerial birdish-lizard thing that could be found in moutnains and rocky coasts. Any aeriel creatures in Oblivion? None. In Morrowind, despite there being only three water creatures (four if you count an expansion set) they were all over the plac,e so you had the sensation taht he water was at least inhabited. (that was one of the great weaknesses in Morrowind - the lack of a beleiveable aquatic ecology and its repreated in Oblivion.). Oblivion has less aquatic creatures and massive quantities of aquatic real estate that look like my aquarium before I added fish.

Thirdly, Oblivion has LITTLE FLAVOR. This is my biggest complaitn about the game. Morrowind oozes flavor. The game is all about doing unusual thigns that make total sense, like mushroom grown houses, and beetle sheels and giant silt striders as transportation and so forth. Here you have your typical european RPG with your typical monsters and your typical countryside. Here you have bears, moutain lions, imps, undead, bandits, boars, minotaurs, gargoyles, and such as your overland enemies. Sounds liek every other game, right? Well, in Moprrowind you had well thought out creatures with their own niches like Cliff Racers and Nix Hounds and Wild Guar.

While on the iussue of flavor, in Morrowind, you have the ruins left behind by an ancient race of dwarves called the dwemer (which weren;t actually dwarves but our size, they were named by giants). Their ruins are full of steam-oriiented technology mixed with magic to create a very different sense of things. Then their are Daedric ruins which are something out of a Lovecraft story with non-Euclidian geometry as a guiding principle. They are very unqiue.

Where are these people in Oblivion? In teh story line, it is metnioned that your world (which includes Morrowind and Cyrodiil, the place this game takes place in, which are provinces ADJACENT to each other ont eh same continent) used to be a daedrice world and then the people revolted. That's why there where so many daedric ruins, for example, in Morrowind.

Where are those ruins in Oblivion? Same world, same continent, same empire. Where are those ruins? They aren't held in just the island of Vvardenfell because in teh first expansion to Morrowind, where a mainland city is adde,d there are daedric ruins underneath the city onteh mainland, just a few miles away from Cyrodiil. Seriously, where are they?

We have Ayelid ruins, ancient elven ruins, but none of the other types. There are numerous examples of where they jus tleft behind either creatures or cultures that would make sense in Oblivion and just ignore them.

In Morrowind you regulalry fight daedra, these occasionally demonic and very natural but otherworldly creatures. In Oblivion you go to their world on a regular basis. So this game has even more exposure to deadra than then Morrowind. So, where are some of the daera in the previous game gone to? Take Ogrim, for example. They appear to have completely disappeared.

A bigger compaint is that when you are in the Oblivion worlds, it looks and feels like the Hell levels of Doom. You get a real sense of been here, done that. As a result, the creepy effects like meat corridors and so forth have less of an impact.

I think they spent so much time building the graphics (which on a PC still aren't as impressive as Morrowind, imho) and the interface that they forgot to fully flesh out their world.

Again, some of Morrowind's weakness pop up here as well. There are only two skill sets for melee weapon skills - blade and blunt. And there are only knives, maces, hammers, axes, staves and swords in the game. The only long range weapon is the bow. No slings, no crossbows, no unique weapons to the game, no oriental weapons, no exotic weapons, and no simple weapons like the mighty spear. (On all six continents with indigenous life, natives seperately developed the spear. Sharpening a stick and using it to fight is an obvious tool. Are you telling me that ten seperate races of beings on one continent couldn't think of a spear?)

Anotehr example is horseback. They tried so hard to give you horse riding that they forgot that horseriding has a context. In the Dark Ages, a fully armored knight with a lance, mace and sword could charge into a cluster of peasants and kill them all with nary a scrath. Try charging with your horse in Oblivion and you'll just get hit a alot. You can neither attack nor cast spell whiule on a horse, so it's merely fast transport and pretty. No lances, no horse bowmanship, no chargeing, no horseback spell casting. In a world with serious magic and spell casting, don't you think that a mage riding a horse casting long distance damage spells while stayuing out of melee combat would have been developed ages ago?

They pride themselves on having such a realistic world and they they forgot to plug in the lights.

So no, I do NOT like Oblivion as much as Morrowind. I don't like Oblivion as much as Might and Magic VI. I'm done with the game and now I am moving on.

-Anxiety

Old 02-23-2007, 02:07 AM   #236
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Huh. Guess I thought that'd be more controversial.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:20 AM   #237
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Huh. Guess I thought that'd be more controversial.

Controversial - you pretty much summed up my feelings towards Oblivion, didn't get on with it at all way too shallow after a promising start.

The dungeon escape I thought was well done and interesting, then you're dumped into a near empty world full of identical houses and bland NPC's - my first discovery of the realism of the 'world' was bumping into the horse-seller shortly after leaving the dungeon, after failing dismally to find a conversational topic to do with purchasing a horse I decide to try and move one over to her to see if that helps and am promptly attacked by a host of guards for stealing it (hey chaps if I'm stealing something I don't tend to walk up to its owner with it) .... kind of went downhill from there.

I DID however get on very well with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, its got some flaws but is a very enjoyable game imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #238
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

How could these games have been missed!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, the Monkey Island series has simply changed my entire outlook on life. And did a lot to mold my sense of humor. Fighting ghosts with rootbeer? Dancing skeletons? Pirates? Swordfighting and insults? What could be better?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #239
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Hello folks. After about two years since this dynasty, I came across a game that makes the top thirty. Where does it chart? How good is it? What is it?

30. Guild Wars
ArenaNet
PC
GameSpot Review - 9.2
MMORPG

Guild Wars

I must have just discovered Guild Wars three months ago. I missed out for years on this game. I have never played another MMORPG like it, and in fact, I defy anybody to actually call it that.

This is a great game from any number of viewpoints. Want an online game to play with your mates? This is fine for that. Want an online game with a nice PvP arena with a focus on group combat? Sure, we got that here.

On the other hand, if you don't even like MMORPGs, that's fine. This is still a good game for you That's because this is NOT an MMORPG. This is an RPG with a plotline and quest structure and all of that. It just happens to be online.

Since it's online, you can get help from real players in your adventure if you get stuck or have need. The adventure in the main and each expansion is highly detailed and each took me weeks of play to complete.

The character development system is very elegant. You have two classes out of six (eventually ten). You can choose any combination and you get some skills for your classes. Each class has a special skill that you only get if that class is your main, so there is a significant difference between an Elementalist/Warrior and a Warrior/Elementalist. You can switch the secondary class later int eh campaign at any time, giving you massive freedom for your character.

As you gain levels, you gain attribute points, which you can spend on your class attributes. For example, a Ranger gets Wilderness Survival, Expertise if a primary, Beast Mastery and Marksmanship. You can put points into any of these that you want.

Then, whenever you are in a town, city or outpost, you can change your points to put them in different stats. You can go from a Beast Master with a nasty pet to an archer specialist to a ranger who specializes in setting traps.

You also have eight skills that you can have equipped at any time. As you adventure, you get more skills. Most skills are tied to a stat, and virtually all are tied to classes. For example, a Bow Attack skill would likely be tied to Marksmanship. As your Marksmanship is increased, this special Bow Attack gets better.

You can change up your eight skills as well, and you can experiment with different builds. Gone are the days of having to min/max your character from the very beginning. If you screw up your character, you can fix it easily.

The game emphasizes playing in a group. You can go adventuring with a group of players, or you can always take some NPCs with you. Because of this group focus, the game plays differently. You have no commands or decisions to make for the NPCs. They act completely as they choose to.

The game incorporates some interesting takes on characters. Instead of warriors being boring, they have a second energy stat called Adrenaline. They gain Adrenaline as they take hits and deal damage. Some skills require the usage of Adrenaline instead of the more traditional energy, and others require energy. Balancing these, with the low amount of energy warriors get, is very interesting. Its a nice take on the traditional warrior.

The game world is very large and very rich. I love a world that it wholly its own, with no previous intellectual properties mucking it up.

Of course, as an online game, there are special events, quests and such. During Christmastime, there were dozens of extra quests for you to do, including snowball fights in the PvP arena. Lots of fun.

Capturing skills was a fun thing too. There are some skills called elite skills. You can;t have more than one elite skill on your skill bar at a time. You can;t get them in quests or in stores. Instead, you have to find bosses that have them, kill the boss, and use a Signet of Capture, which is a one shot skill that, when used, captures a skill from a bosses then is lost. Finding and hunting down elites is fun.

Every class has special types of skills that only they have,. Only warriors have shouts and adrenal skills. Only Necromancers have wells, only Rangers have spirits (until Ritualists, which add a lot of them), only Elementalists have glyphs, only rangers have traps, only Ritualists have weapon enhancers, only Assassins shadow walk, only Ritualists have items hold spells, only Necromancers have raise undead spells, only Elementalists have wards, only Paragons have shouts, etc.

Later expansions add some amazing depth to the gameworld. Now, I believe a game should chart on its initial merits, not on the strength of its expansions, but I want to mention a few things. The first expansion adds two classes. One class is called assassin, which plays oddly. You have deadly strikes, and a special set of moves called shadow movement which teleports you into and out of combat. You shadow walk in, hit fast, and then shadow walk out, because you do not have the armor or hit points of a fighter. I've never seen such truly hit and run tactics in a fantasy game, and I kill enemy assassins as one of my first targets now.

The best experience I ever had playing a spell caster in an RPG came from the first expansion set's Ritualist:

A Ritualist is unlike any spell casting class I've ever been familiar with. The class communes with spirits. As such, it can summon a spirit to a weapon, or summon a spirit out right, some of which fight and others which give your party some benefits, or you can summon the ashes of a famous dead person and hold them in your hand for some benefit. You can't attack while holding ashes. There you have a handful of spells that deal with spirits, ashes, weapons, or summon their force to heal, deal damage, etc. You don;t heal as well as a Monk or Paragon and you don't deal as much damage as an Elementalist or Necromancer. It's just meant to supplement your spirits/weapons/ashes. You don't know how weird it is to have your character standing there with a giant urn in her hands summoning ghosts to fight on your half while amping up the weapon of the party's NPC. It's odd.

In the next expansion set, two new additions were great. Dervishes are an interesting take on a warrior, and they added heroes - customizable NPCs. The customizable NPCs are pretty good characters to have with you, and a lot of players use them in all campaigns.

The Dervish class is a scythe fighter who casts enchantnents upon themselves. When an enchantemtn on them ends, they get life and energy for the number of points they have in Mysticism. A lot of their best attacks require an enchantments on them to end, so you need to stack several. Also, a lot of enchantments have abilities when they end. One enchantment blinds all nearby enemies when it ends. Another enchantment heals you when it ends. Some enchantments have abilities when you cast them. A holy aura may deal damage to all adjacent foes when you cast it, make your attacks deal holy damage while it lasts, and then knock down all adjacent enemies when it ends. Therefore, while in combat, you are still casting a lot of spells on yourself, with abilities constantly triggering and going off. It's an interesting take on a normal fighter, and again, it plays differently that any class in an RPG I:ve played.

I felt that this game was good enough to chart at #30, not no higher. It's good, but it's not super amazing or anything Better than BG, but not as good as MR3 or MOO2, which were the next two games on the list.

Therefore, this game officially bumps BG off the list.

I do have a few problems with the game. Many small things in the game are fourth window problems I have with the world. I want a game to be as immersive as possible. Having skills called "It's Just a Flesh Wound" and a quest called "Drakes on a Plain" does not endear me to the world. There are lots of little real life hommages in the game, and I don;t like it in my pretend worlds.

I also love the group oriented focus of the game, but sometimes, I just want to solo adventure, without NPCs, and that's tough.

So the game is no Morrowind, and I accept that. Still, it is the best game I;ve played in the past two years that was not a sequel to one of the games already on the list (Thus leaving out later installments of FM or EU)

One more thing about the game before I leave. Despite being an MMORPG, this game is totally free beyond the purchase price. There are still a lot of people playing (at least I saw a bunch while I was on) so you are fine. This is a good investment, to my mind, as a result.

Hope you enjoyed another trip down memory lane. Good day to you all!

-Abe

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-01-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #240
JeffNights
College Prospect

No Wing Commander = FAIL
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #241
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post

23. Wing Commander
Origin
PC

-Anxiety

Fuck. Opps.

Last edited by JeffNights : 01-17-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #242
Groundhog
Coordinator

JeffNights Reading Comprehension Skills = FAIL
Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #243
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
JeffNights Reading Comprehension Skills = FAIL

I agree, but only if it's after midnight and before 6 am.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #244
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just now going through your list. Great selection at #1, that has to be the most addictive game I've ever played. I absolutely love it. Great read, I even learned things about the games I never heard of. Well done.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #245
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Since I have decided to hit up a sequel dynasty, I am bumping this for those interested.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #246
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

If I were to update this list today, here are some changes to the slots games fell in:

Star Control 2 would rise massively to top 10.

Pokemon would rise massively to 11, and the entry would be changed to Pokemon Platinum/Pearl/Diamond

Culdcept would fall several spaces.

X-Com would rise several spaces

Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #247
Radii
Head Coach

I don't remember reading this before, glad to see it bumped. The lack of Railroad Tycoon is the only thing that truly bothers me about the list.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #248
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

well then Radii, allow me ot introduce you to the follow up dynasty, which I'll bump now for your perusement

Old 08-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #249
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After having played Guild Wars through again, I am still impressed by the things it does that really distinguishes it in a genre full of great titles. Perhaps it moves up too.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #250
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I went through and added links to gamersgate, gog, Steam, and other sites when you could purchase the game still.