Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A New Hollywood Mogul 3 Dynasty!!!

Hello folks!

After the Golden Scribes, I went back and reread my nominated dynasty for Hollywood Mogul 3, and then of course I moved to reread my one from the second game. All of these were years ago. The game has since been patched, and databases have been created for some elements (not all, though).

I decided to d/l the game again, along with the databases, and take the game for another spin. This is an homage to both of my previous dynasties, and I will be reusing various elements from them all. It may also homage my dynasty from The Movies a bit as well. Are you ready? Let’s go!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The downfall of the media conglomerate saw the downfall of the US economy. These giant monsters had purchased radio stations, cable networks, magazines, book publishing, movie studios, newspapers, and video game companies. What they had successfully done was consolidate all major entertainment media into a few hands. As their net worth skyrocketed, the companies began to move into more markets – amusement parks, major internet websites, and more.

However, these big giant companies quickly realized they were in the wrong time. As the Internet moved at a pace they could not outbuy, more and more websites became popular. What was once hot ground became yesterday’s old site, as people continued to flock to newer and flashier sites created by individuals instead of companies.

Amazon led way to Unicorn and Facebook led way to Grok and eBay led way to BiddersRUs. Each of these websites began to see their traffic move on to others. Meanwhile, the revenue sources of the conglomerates began to dry up. Comics, magazines and books were past their sell by date. Newspapers were virtually a thing of the past. Movies were becoming passé, and the spiraling number of cable stations prevented any from getting major revenue. While a few properties remained economically viable (such as ESPN), many were losing money in several areas.

When Time Warner announced the closing of Time magazine, from which it gained its name, people knew that times were changing.

They were too big, and everything was moving too fast. In order to stay relevant, the major conglomerates began doing what they had long been accused of. They began working behind the scenes in cohort with bribed government officials and politicians. They controlled the major media outlets, and made sure reporters did not do any sniffing. Money poured into coffers in order to ensure that these handful of companies would stay on top of the heap. There were crackdowns on other startup companies, and large fees were distributed to the companies as subsidies.

However, the companies failed to keep their grip on one major media outlet. The Internet had grown so large that it was unable to be purchased. It was unable to be bullied. A mole deep inside Viacom was the first to break the Vegas Accords. These documents recording meetings held in private by all of the conglomerates in Las Vegas showed the illegal activity occurring. At first, they were dismissed by all major media outlets, but the dam had been broken.

Within a month, two blogs and two major independent sites had confirmed the Vegas Accords with other documents they had uncovered. E-mails and text messages were released to the public. Once it started, the major news companies had to follow suit and investigate themselves (although they usually found their company innocent of charges).

The death of this mass conspiracy was the victory of the Internet and the people over the companies and corrupt government officials. Elected officials that had been defeated by these dirty deals and dirty money suddenly became rock stars, and were easily elected anew to a variety of posts. Mass resignations and recall elections ensued, as over 25% of Congress was found guilty of bribery and corruption.

In the waning days of the teens, the first bill aimed at breaking up the companies was passed. Others soon followed, using a variety of anti-trust laws new and old to destroy the conglomerates. However, the damage done to the economy was massive. Just as the debt service from the US became too much to bear, the entertainment economy collapsed as the various component parts of these companies went out of business or exchanged hands. During a year and a half, physical companies were sold to new private investors – and new hands were suddenly in control of everything from Disneyworld to ESPN to DC Comics to Facebook.

This mass transition was tough on the economy as people were laid off or fired, and the many loans and debt saw bankruptcy. Loaning institutions lost a lot of money, and many of them had to fire people. Similarly, industries as varied as news, sports, education, and engineers were out of jobs or severely hit. Why pay for cable, if many of the networks are currently out of service? Therefore, all of the people at call centers, laborers working the lines, and technicians working the network were hit.

As the economy’s nosedive continued, the US saw a major way out. They passed a new currency – the credit. This was the world’s first virtual dollar, and it had no physical representation. This would enable the debtload to be reduced, and also lowered inflation significantly. It also greatly increased government’s ability to control the economy. A variety of economists applauded the move as the reason that the US economy got quickly back on track.

By 2023, many new companies have formed, purchased the infrastructure of the old conglomerates, and begun work. The economy has largely recovered. As a result of what Americans lost, there has been an upswing in books, magazines, tv shows and movies (but not newspapers, which honestly look like they are gone forever).

Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Latest Anti-Aging Drug Works
Yourbody.com

May 21, 2019 - The field tests are done and the approvals are in. Since the dawn of time, people have sought to extend their years. Now the first licensed drug is available which can do just that.

How does it work? Aging works because DNA loses a few pieces of information every time a cell undergoes mitosis. What this simple little pill does is add a little bit of that information back to your cells. It slows down signs of aging, such as wrinkles and grey hair.

All it does is slow things down. It does not eliminate aging, nor does it prevent death. It simply slows things down a bit. This is more than we have ever had before!

The drug is promised to be out by the end of the year. Due to the life changing effects of this pill, the price is expected to be massive. It needs to be taken daily to work. As such, it will only be able to be afforded by the very wealthy, such as CEOs, major business executives, athletes, and actors, actresses and so forth. It probably won’t be until a generic can be made that everyone will be able to acquire the drug.

In order to find out more information about this drug, its technical information, side effects and company information, please click here.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Startup Company Wants to Make Big Pictures
TheNOW.net

After spending some time locking in financial backers, Centurion Studios has announced that it will be opening its doors this month. It’s is the 8th movie company to move in and set up shop in the real estate where the former media moguls ruled.

CEO James Essex has a background in management in sports, and has used his contacts in that world to set him up as the newest person to try to grab a piece of the entertainment real estate. After agreeing to a quick interview with TheNOW.net, Essex was quoted as saying that he, “(W)anted to see if real movies could be made. Since the conglomerates would release braindead films in order to make a quick buck, intelligent and moving films were light.” Now, Essex wants to, “(S)ee if we can’t make the films people have always wanted to see.”

Apparently he has assembled roughly a billion credits as seed money to start Centurion Studios. He has announced that they have already begun reviewing material to acquire for making pictures.

Would you like to see more about Essex’s sports background, including information on his jobs and successes? Click here for a database we’ve compiled.

This article is copyright 2023 by TheNOW.net, the place to find all of the news that’s NOW.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s take a look at original scripts. Perhaps there are a few I can grab and immediately start out as projects.

The 1st thing I do is purchase 8 5 star scripts. I take a look to see what I suspect will be my first film to make.

One of the things I am looking for is a quick turnaround. How long is production expected to take?

I have a courtroom in a post-apocalyptic society. Interesting. It’s called Angry Truth. I want it to resemble the groundbreaking episode of the first season of Survivors called Law and Order. (In that episode, a post-apocalyptic society must decide how to deal with a murder in their group – what standards will they use, and how will they find who is responsible?) I think that’s a good spin for this script.

We are filming in LA. It’s costs a bit more, but the pre-production will be just 3 months.

I took a bit to remind myself how to use the game. Here are my castings:

Shia LeBeouf for our lead. We needed someone gritty and dramatic. His total contract, including
ancillaries, is roughly 10 million.

Playing the role of his buddy is Patrick Fugit, who is making less than 100k. I just wanted someone cheap, who could do the part well.

Cast as the villainess, for roughly 2.2 million after everything is Rachel Weisz. I needed someone who could be mean and fierce. I think she can totally pull that off.

Finally, as the major support, I cast Jennifer Connelly, for roughly the same as Rachel. She’s needed to be a bit daffy and sweet.

Now I need a director and producer. I hire Steven Soderbergh for 3.25 mill after perks. I hire producer Vik Pakson for 550k total.

We have officially started pre-production on Angry Truth.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-10-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Another 5 star script I purchased is Lightning Strikes. It is a horror/stalker film where a strike of lightning blows out the electricity at a small rural desert town, and a mysterious stalker uses the opportunity to start killing the residents. It has comedy undertones.

Shot in LA. 9 months to move through the system. Because it has some significant pyro scenes, I up our pyro budget to the max and greenlight the film.

I hire Ryan Gosling in our lead, hero role. 1 mill
Buddy role, needs to be heroic – Terrence Howard for 2.5
Villain needs to be angry, conniving, and a bit older – Kyra Sedgewick, 600k
Billy Crudup and Rufus Sewell round out our major supporting roles for a total of 700k
I had my assistant auto hire the minor parts, and they went to – Eliza Dushku, Michelle Yeoh, Shea Wingham, Anson Mount and Chiwetel Ejiofor.
For director, I went with the able Jonathan Demme for almost 1 mill
For producer I went with the capable and undercosted Angela Saccone for 450k.

We start pre production.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

Feminist Ryan Gosling in a horror spoof. Nice.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hmmmm I can definitely see Shia LeBeouf and Patrick Fugit together...

but Michelle Yeoh in a minor role in a horror comedy? What?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Costs for my two films –

Angry Truth will run us 31 mill for negative and 98 for everything
Lightning Strikes will run us 26 for negative and 87 mill

I decide to greenlight one more 9 month film: When a Latin Lover Gets Loved. It’s a suspense/comedy

For director I went with Mike Newell of Harry Potter fame. This seems up his alley. 775k makes him mine.
For producer I rolled with Maria Ramsey for 400k. She seems pretty good for her price.

I needed a sexy, capable dramatic lead. I decided to rock Ethan Hawke, for 1.8 mill
His buddy is William Sadler for 100k
A conniving angry villain was hard to cast. I found a few 5s, but none were interested. Neither were a bunch of 4s. I eventually went with William Fichtner, for 200k
Geoffrey Rush and Helen Hunt round out our major supporting roles for 2 mill total

I auto cast some minor roles, and they went to Mos Def, Vincent Cassel, Robert Carlyle, and Delroy Lindo.

I greenlight it for pre production. It will cost 21 mill for the negatives, and 84 mill for everything.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Feminist Ryan Gosling in a horror spoof. Nice.

Thanks! I try....

Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Hmmmm I can definitely see Shia LeBeouf and Patrick Fugit together...

but Michelle Yeoh in a minor role in a horror comedy? What?

My assistant hired her, what can I say?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Before I move to the next month, let’s take a look at what properties are available for sale. (Some databases are included that represent real world things, and some are not)

For example, TV Shows are a real database. I purchase the move rights to:

The Prisoner
Smallville
Doctor Who
Degrassi Junior High

Not everything I would want is here (Such as Xena), but this is a good start.

Storyline for Dr. Who:

Traveling to his personal future, the Time Lord discovers that he is not alone, and that he is not who he believed himself to be.

Title:

Dr. Who and the Sands of Time

After making a ton of changes, it will take 32 months to get a script.

The Prisoner

It will take 12 months to finish this script

Smallville

A young Clark Kent struggles to find his place in the world as he learns to harness his alien powers for good and deals with the typical troubles of teenage life in Smallvile.

It will take 14 months for the script to be done

Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s also do some scripts of my own.

The Battle of Blair Mountain

Historial/Drama

After the continued denial of rights and safety to miners by government, mines, and media, the miners finally rise up in the largest civil uprising in US history.

Bill Blizzard, 35, Male, Lead Heroic – diff 85
Frank Keeney, 30, Male, Buddy, Friend, Tough, diff 65
Don Chafin, Villain, 40, Male, Self-Righteous, Nasty, diff 70
Ed Mooney, Support, Male 32, Support, Average, Diff 45
Mother Jones, Support, Female, 60, Lead Heroic, Diff 90

One Baldwin Felts Gun Thugs and two Miners round out our minor roles.

No nudity, but lots of action, drama needed in various actors, and stunts and pyro effects.

I order a screenplay written for 15 months and roughly 3 million, and I send it out now.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-10-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jagged Alliance

Action

Two political enemies unite and hire a band of mercenaries to free their island nation from the grip of a tyrant bent on exploiting the island's resources and people.

Gus Tarballs, Lead, Tough, 50, Male, 70 diff, 2 stars of stunts
Louisa “Buzz” Garneau, Buddy, 30, female, 30, Bad girl, sexy, 60 diff, 2 stars of stunts
Deidranna, Villain, Cruel, Aggressive, 50, female, no stunts, but some make up
Ivan Dolvich, Lead, Tough, 35, Male, 50 diff, 2 stars stunts
Miguel Cordona, Support, fierce, 40, Male, 50 diff, 2 stars stunts
Kyle “Shadow” Simmons, support, intimidating, 50 diff, male, 35, 3 stars
Monica “Buns” Sondergaard, support, 32, female, 50 diff, average, 2 stars stunts
Cynthia "Fox" Guzzman, support, sexy, 28, 40 diff, 2 stars stunts
Ice Williams, support, off-beat, 35, diff 50, 2 star of stunts, male
Cameo – Enrico Chivaldori, fierce, 40 diff, male, 40

Everybody lives. Everybody save Miguel, Deidranna, Enrico and Fox are needed for a sequel.

I know, I’m using the plot from the 2nd game, not the first. Sue me!

It will take 14 months to write

Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Let’s also do some scripts of my own.

The Battle of Blair Mountain

Historial/Drama

After the continued denial of rights and safety to miners by government, mines, and media, the miners finally rise up in the largest civil uprising in US history.

Bill Blizzard, 35, Male, Lead Heroic – diff 85
Frank Keeney, 30, Male, Buddy, Friend, Tough, diff 65
Don Chafin, Villain, 40, Male, Self-Righteous, Nasty, diff 70
Ed Mooney, Support, Male 32, Support, Average, Diff 45
Mother Jones, Support, Female, 60, Lead Heroic, Diff 90

One Baldwin Felts Gun Thugs and two Miners round out our minor roles.

No nudity, but lots of action, drama needed in various actors, and stunts and pyro effects.

I order a screenplay written for 15 months and roughly 3 million, and I send it out now.

Oooh, ooh, I know the end...the wolves win!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Before I move to the next month, let’s take a look at what properties are available for sale. (Some databases are included that represent real world things, and some are not)

For example, TV Shows are a real database. I purchase the move rights to:

The Prisoner
Smallville
Doctor Who
Degrassi Junior High

Not everything I would want is here (Such as Xena), but this is a good start.

Storyline for Dr. Who:

Traveling to his personal future, the Time Lord discovers that he is not alone, and that he is not who he believed himself to be.

Title:

Dr. Who and the Sands of Time

After making a ton of changes, it will take 32 months to get a script.

The Prisoner

It will take 12 months to finish this script

Smallville

A young Clark Kent struggles to find his place in the world as he learns to harness his alien powers for good and deals with the typical troubles of teenage life in Smallvile.

It will take 14 months for the script to be done

If you make another American movie version of Dr Who and I'll cut you!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

January 21, 2023
Almostheaven.net

Interview with James Essex I

Hello and welcome to an interview with a local son who has recently been in the news. He is James Essex, CEO of Centurion Studios. James has just started his own studio in, and has begun a project that will be dear to our hearts.

Yesterday, he announced work on a new project, entitled "The Battle of Blair Mountain." As many of you know, AH-Net brings you the most up to date information on our favorite state, West Virginia.

The Battle of Blair Mountain was the seminal event in the Mine Wars and one of the largest civil uprisings in American history. In 1921, thousands of miners armed themselves and marched to Logan County demanding the resignation of Sherriff Don Chapin, a corrupt official bribed by coal mines.

We were able to grab a virtual interview with James, and he is here to take our questions. James, we love debuting you and your company here at AHNet!

James: Thanks, I love spending time with fellow West Virginians.

AHNet: Why were you so interested in the Mine Wars and the Battle of Blair Mountain in particular?

James: This is the key pivotal event in labor history in America and one of the key moments in understanding the nature of government, private industry, fair practices and how far people will go to protect corruption and how far others will go to bring it down.

AHNet: The elements of the Battle seem to lend themselves to the silver screen. You have clear good guys, clear bad guys, sweeping issues, and more. Why do you think it was never made until now?

James: Hollywood was run by big companies and the Battle cannot leave you with a warm feeling for big companies when you leave. Obviously, you can't pretend that the coal companies are analogies for today's studios, but I think executives feared that the comparison might be made anyway.

AHNet: Why do this story, then, if that is a concern.

James: Well, just because it is a concern for some companies does not mean it is a concern for me. I do not fear my audience and I do not seek to give them the lowest common denominator entertainment.

AHNet: Does this connect with you wanting to bring real West Virginia to the screen.

James: Absolutely. Understanding the spirit of the West Virginia people is important for me to express. Maybe even vital for me to do so.

AHNet: Well then, thank you for your time!

James: Hey, I'm always happy to be here, you know that!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Oooh, ooh, I know the end...the wolves win!

Ruf!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you make another American movie version of Dr Who and I'll cut you!

Look who's trying to be funny!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

February 7, 2023
[url]www.LinkET.com[/url.]

Centurion Studios Boss Essex Greenlight Three Projects

In an attempt to jumpstart his fledgling studio, James Essex has purchased three original screenplays and authorized all three in less than a month. No script was rewritten.

The screenplays were deemed good enough, and Essex moved on through greenlighted a budget and casting all three scripts. When interviewed earlier today, Essex responded, "We are comfortable with the current version, so there is no need to go through several dozen rewrites, we'll just go with the initial author's vision."

Insiders believe that this is an attempt to put Centurion Studios on the map sooner than its colleagues did. After all, this is the 8th movie studio to rise out of the ashes of the Vegas Accords. Many of them took years to release their first films and Killer Studios, the third to form, took two and a half years. None of the four previous studios took less than seventeen months to release their first film, but Essex has grand plans for his studio.

The first script to be greenlit was a fantasy story that should begin shooting some time in June. The other two scripts, a horror movie and a bio-pic should begin shooting in July.

Casting saw several virtual unknowns getting large roles in the films, and some experts wonder if that will end up being a smart cost cutting role or a sacrifice of free marketing in the name of economy.

LinkET will promise to keep you updated as these stories develop."

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-10-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

CENTURION STUDIOS PRESS RELEASE

Centurion Studios, a studio dedicated to producing smart and provocative films, announced that they purchased the move rights to several intellectual properties. These properties will allow Centurion to more easily achieve their objective of crafting movies that will last, and that you will want to watch over and over.

These properties included tv shows and a video game. The game is Jagged Alliance. This game series saw a rough band of mercenaries try to bring democracy back to the island of Arulco after being taken over by a tyrant. The other four properties are Doctor Who, Degrassi Junior High, The Prisoner, and Smallville.

We believe that these represent the some great properties that will be wonderful when brought to the silver screen. Four of these projects have already bent sent out to script.

Centurion is committed to quality movies and will continue to scour all available material for suitable entertainment for our minds and souls.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bah. 20 posts in and nobody has welcomed you to Hollywood yet?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Not yet, and I'm okay with that!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD!

Now. I want a leading role with 10% of the grosses.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(There I said it, someone had to say it...)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

End of January

An agent comes to me with a project already to go. It’s a film called The Bottom Line, a Teen Comedy. He has stars already lined up – Helena Bonham Carter ,Will Smith, Ashley Judd. It has 5 star dialogue, 2 star intelligence, 4 star plot twists, 2 pace and 5 for its genre elements. It had a minor director and producer attached as well.

I don’t want to release anything that’s not that smart, but this project is ready to go. All I have to do is find some supporting roles, and pay it. I will be spending 49 million on the negative (largely off the cost to hire Smith) and 126 total for everything.

After consideration, I decide to do it. It will take 9 months total to complete, and it will be interesting to see what a Will Smith film will do in the box office.

Several actors and actresses are announcing that they will not be a part of New Hollywood. These people have retired – Judi Dench, Vanessa Redgrave, Olympia Dukakis, Gena Rowlands, Rip Torn, Frank Langella, Alan Arkin, Phillip Baker Hall, Morgan Freeman, Peter O’Toole, Burt Reynolds, Robert Redford, Ian Holm, Donald Sutherland, and Albert Finney.

I round out the project with Emily Blunt, David Krumholtz and Paul Dano.

I also pay 4 million for Will Smith to do some songs for an R&B and Hip-Hop soundtrack for the film.

The Bottom Line has begun pre-production.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD!

Now. I want a leading role with 10% of the grosses.

You'll note I didn't respond!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
a Teen Comedy. He has stars already lined up – Helena Bonham Carter, Will Smith, Ashley Judd.

I'm not sure this guy is too good at casting ...
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'll take care of that later.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I want to greenlight another 5 star script I purchased:

Lonely Fingers do a Dance

Adventure/Comedy

Set in Africa, filmed in Mexico – very cheap, adds time to the production

We make this a vehicle for Leonardo DiCaprio. He will cost 22 mill. Everybody else is cheaper – Ryan Reynolds, Eric Bana, Zhang Ziyi, Robin Tunney and Zoe Tapper. The total for all of these people combined is 4.3 million.

Director was close, but I ultimately went with the Coen Brothers for 3.2 and for producer I went with Howard Pillow for less than 500k.

I order it to pre-production. It will take 13 months to finish. 62 mill for the negative, and 138 mill total. (Special effects and Leo’s salary are the major costs there

Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #31
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I also greenlight:

Love Hunting
Disaster/Comedy

9 months to finish (done in LA).

I decide to hire Robert Zemeckis as my director for 2.2 million. He was really interested in the project.

For producer, since we have SFX, I went with a more expensive one who’s good with it – Bess Komie, 850k

I cast Adrian Brody as the sweet, dramatic lead. 2.5 mill total
1.8 mill got me Casey Affleck as his buddy, and need to be simple
2.6 mill for the villainess and angry/conniving Kate Winslet
335k for Zooey Deschenel who dies in the film, sweet friend
2.1 mill for Javier Bardem, an offbeat friend.

I greenlight the film for production. 53 mill cost for the negative, and of that only 8ish is for talent, and the rest are production costs. 128 mill for the total release (marketing, prints, blu-ray, etc).

Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Last month, we acquired tv shows for IP. This time, let’s mine literature.

I’ll walk you through one of these in detail, just to see every decision I make.

The Call of Cthulhu

I wrote a quick storyline:

As Wilcox tries to deal with strange dreams, he begins to uncover layer after layer of truth hidden behind the world. His spiral into madness culminates with a discovery of cataclysmic proportions.

I add this to the storyline.

I choose Horror as the genre, since none of the subgenres seem to match (Horror has the following subgenres – vampire, werewolf, zombie, witches, stalker, slasher, teen scream, monster, ghost, supernatural or evil.). For secondary genre, I go with (Dark? Myth? Fantasy? Science Fiction?) Myth.

I choose to leave the era as present day. I choose World Domination as what’s at stake, it’s the highest one (some stories should have higher stakes, but they are not available). Primary audience is men 36 to 50, and secondary audience is men 18.35.

The location will be Greenland, New Orleans, and the Pacific. I go with North America, Small City as development and dense forest (since swamp is not available) as terrain.

The script starts with stars up to 3 with the script. I make these changes:

Int 5
Plot Twists 4
Dialogue 5
Pace 4
Genre Elements 4

I remove any love scenes. I jack up violence to 3 stars and leave foul language at one.

Story scope is jacked up to five stars.

I remove robotic effects. I jack up set construction and sfx to four stars each. I leave pyro at 3 stars.

I move the story ending to ambiguous

I do not add any additional villains (which are things like weather, animals, etc). I add a fishing boat as an extra setting.

Main character – Henry Anthony Wilcox is given as his name. I move the difficulty to 95. He does live, but he is not needed for a sequel. I make him an eccentric nerd. The talent focus will be on drama. No stunts, make up, or nudity is required for his role.

The next character is Inspector Legrasse. I give him an 80 difficulty, and a lead, intimidating part. I set the age at 35. (Same as Wilcox). He lives, and is not needed for a sequel. His talent focus is more action. (He’s fighting in New Orleans, and I’ll give him fighting in Greenland).

The third character is given a difficulty of 70. Gustaf Johansen. He is a 40 year old lead, tough. Talent is action. He dies, and is therefore not needed for a sequel.

George Gammell Angell is a supporting character, a professor who dies early on, and spurs on Wilcox’s investigation. He had learned too much. Difficulty 50, dies, drama role, 60 years old, support and crazed.

Finally, in order to give the audience another bad guy to focus on in the early stages of the film, we will be upgrading a character to the limelight – Old Castro, one of the primitives who is defiling the local area in New Orleans will give the audience a bad guy to focus on for the first half of the film.

Difficulty 70, barbaric and nasty, 50 years of age, needs action and drama, dies, not needed for sequel.

There are no significant minor support roles.

Those characters with an action role are given two stars of stunts

Okay, we get the project started. I hire a writer to prepare the script. One is defaulted to, and I choose that person. It will cost 3.75 mill and take 15 months.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I also move on a few other literary works:

A Canticle for Leibowitz

After the destruction of much of the Earth, an order of monks tries to keep knowledge alive until humanity can use it again.

Sci-Fi/Apocalyptic

Set in future

Isaac Edward Leibowitz, heroic nerd, 40, drama, diff 90
Brother Francis Gerard, 30, lead eccentric, drama, diff 70
Monsignor Apollo , villain, 45, cruel, average 65 diff
Brother Kornhoer, supporting, 30, diff 45, support, simple
Dom Jethras Zerchi, supporting, 35, lead, heroic, diff 65, action

We need sfx for the first war, and the last segment of the film, which sees a lot of technological advancement and fighting. Everybody dies except for Zerchi, and no one is needed for a sequal.

15 months, 3.75 million for the script.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Look who's trying to be funny!

Seriously! That turd was sooo bad it really was the nail in the coffin of the series. It took what, 15 years before people got the taste out of their mouth before they'd do another dr who series?

Hmmm Call of Cthulhu. This makes me think your character is a student filmmaker (Around here you can't through a muffin without hitting a student that tries to make a cthulhu movie...yet doesn't know a thing about horror)

As for restless fingers doing a dance.... icky
Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously! That turd was sooo bad it really was the nail in the coffin of the series. It took what, 15 years before people got the taste out of their mouth before they'd do another dr who series?

Hmmm Call of Cthulhu. This makes me think your character is a student filmmaker (Around here you can't through a muffin without hitting a student that tries to make a cthulhu movie...yet doesn't know a thing about horror)

As for restless fingers doing a dance.... icky

Nothing about Latins Lovers being Loved, eh?

Trust me ,we'll make Cthulhu huge. We'll give it the budget it needs. In HM2 dynasty it was the highest grossing film of all time, and since I want to remake some of those films here, plus other new ideas, we ARE going to do, and everyone else be damned!!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Lucifer’s Hammer

As a comet gets closer to the Earth, people's lives change, until the impossible happens.

Sci-Fi/Apocalyptic – Action

Set now

Harvey Randall, 38, lead, heroic, drama, diff 80, lives, needed for sequel.
Maureen Jellison, 30, love interest, friend, normal, diff 65, lives, needed for sequel, drama
Rev. Henry Armitage, villain, 40, action and drama, dies, diff 60, self-righteous, aggressive
Senator Arthur Jellison, lead, 55, diff 60, drama, Lead, heroic, dies
Prof. Dan Forrester, support, diff 70, 50, nerd, eccentric

Minor roles:

Mark Czescu, friend, 35, tough, 40 diff, action, lives, needed in sequel
Marie Vance, friend, 35, fierce. 40 diff, lives, needed in sequel

Nature is an additional villain (when the Hammer strikes, there are tidal waves, earthquakes, etc.)

A farm is a primary setting

Same length and cost as the above two screenplays

Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I also send out Degrassi JH.

I remove nudity, change the strength of the script, change the audiences to teens, remove love scenes but keep one star of violence and 2 stars of foul language. I remove stunts.

It will take 20 months to write after I made a ton of changes. The initial characters were all adult age (yuck).

Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

February 21, 2023
Lovecraft.com

"Cthulhu Movie Rights Purchased

Today James Essex, head of Centurion Studios announced the purchase of his first major acquisition. As of today, the Lovecraft Estate and Centurion Studios have entered into a partnership to create a movie based on H.P. Lovecraft's seminal work, The Call of Cthulhu.

The agreement allows Cthulhu to come to the screen for a nominal price with an extension possibility to other of Lovecraft's works if needed for a larger fee.

Obviously, if you are reading this, you are a fan of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos. You know that there has never been a major studio production of a Lovecraft story that has done the original material justice. In fact, many movies are so far from the original story that the only connection with Lovecraft is the title.

With that concern, we virtuadialed Centurion to get a little more info, and James Essex agreed to a quick interview with us! Without further ado, here's James:

James Essex: Hello all

Lovecraft.com Rep: We are amazingly glad to have you here. Why did you choose this work as your first adapted story?

Essex: Well, I wanted something unusual. I didn't want to rehash the same source material over and over again. There's only so many ways you can tell and retell Lost or Star Wars or Zorro before they become old. I dipped into my adolescence when Lovecraft was one of my major discoveries that led me to deeper and more interesting works. Before I read Lovecraft, I was reading hack novels, written and put out for the masses as a form of escapism. They didn’t challenge me. After Lovecraft, that all changed.

Rep: What can you tell us about your plans?

Essex: If you mean, "Am I going to ruin it?" the answer is no. I have no intention of desecrating such an important story in the development of horror as a genre. In fact, I intend to tell the story as good as I can, with some minor alterations meant for the screen of course.

Rep: When a fan hears that, he grimaces. What do you mean?

Essex: I'm a fan as well, remember. *laughs* Lovecraft did not write his story for the screen, and any interpretation to a movie would have to go though some changes. For example, there are too many characters with solo acts in the story. The narrator, the uncle, Wilcox, Legrasse, that professor at the convention who went to Greenland who I can't remember and, of course, Johansen. That's six characters the story is told from at different points. I cut out three. The narrator, the uncle and the professor. I combined Wilcox with the narrator and the uncle still dies, but we never see anything from his vantage point, thus eliminating the need for six stories being shown.

Rep: So you are making Wilcox a normal person?

Essex: He's not even close to normal. Look, the major elements of Lovecraft are here. The story is not about spooks and goblins but about the advancing psychological and philosophical horror of discovering a world that doesn't even notice you and your species exist.

Rep: A very good point. Thank you for joining us.

Essex: Of course. Obviously the writing will take some time, probably over a year, but I expect the end result will be well worth it!"

Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #39
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

CENTURION STUDIOS PRESS RELEASE

Centurion Studios and CEO James Essex announced today that they have optioned the classic sci-fi novel "Lucifer's Hammer" for the big screen. Lucifer's Hammer was written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle in 1977 and details a coming comet that hits the Earth and the resulting impact.

CEO James Essex was quoted as saying, "What distinguishes Lucifer's Hammer from similar disaster stories is that it focuses, not just on individual people, but also on the aftermath and survival of the old world. Too many apocalyptic movies end in the disaster or the prevention of the disaster. Too many post apocalyptic films start after and go from there. We'll tell the entire story as does Niven and Pournelle."

Centurion Studios is dedicated to quality in film-making, including the production of intelligent and provocative films. This classic novel should provide ample material for a movie that fits Essex's vision.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #40
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just downloaded HM3 and gonna check it out. Looks fun.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

AllThingsToronto.ca

February 27, 2023

As we told you last month, fledgling movie studio Centurion Studios had purchased the movie rights for a show that is dear to the heart of all people in Toronto. Degrassi Junior High was an epic show that was filmed and produced right here!

This month, we found out that the Studios have sent the project to script. It should be some time before we see results, so keep your light pens tuned to AllThingsToronto for more information as we come across it.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #42
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just downloaded HM3 and gonna check it out. Looks fun.

Awesome!!!

Or should I say...Welcome to Hollywood!

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-11-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #43
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

March:

I reject a pitch by an actress. I get another by an agent. Let me look. I say no to that too.

My competitors are buying projects.

I am competing against:

El Dorado Pictures
Roehrig Studios
Global Pictures
Boston Pictures
Super Studios
Hails Pictures
Burbage Studios

Other retirees: Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer, Ellen Burystyn, Maggie Smith, Shirley Maclaine, and Dustin Hoffman.

I greenlight a 5 star script:

Couldn’t it be True

Detective
Comedy

I sign all of my talent to sequel terms if we make 300 m

Director Danny Boyle, 900k
Producer Jerome Sashburn, 150k
Lead, action, Brandon Routh, 1.1 mill
Love interest, action+comedy, Jennifer Garner, 9.3 mill
Villain, Megan Fox, action, 400k
Supporting, friend, Radha Mitchell, 235k

55 million total for negative, 133 for everything.

We ship it to pre-production.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #44
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

retirees? *laugh* Michael Caine NEVER says no to a paycheck
Old 02-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #45
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I now have 7 projects in pre-production. Let’s make it 8.

I greenlight Hot Tamales.

Drama/Business
Comedy

Set it in a backlot at 80% of cost. No speed increase either.

My hires:

Dir. David Lynch, 1 mill
Prod. Chris Idyll, 300k
Lead, Clive Owen, 3.3 mill
Love, Anna Paquin, 450k
Villain, Guy Pierce, 1 mill
Friend, Claire Danes, 750k

Preproduction has begun

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #46
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hmmm this thing is tough. Can you spare a post to tell me what to do? I figured out how to start projects but from there it seems like only hit words that are green because they are buttons.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #47
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I also send out Degrassi JH.

I remove nudity, change the strength of the script, change the audiences to teens, remove love scenes but keep one star of violence and 2 stars of foul language. I remove stunts.

It will take 20 months to write after I made a ton of changes. The initial characters were all adult age (yuck).

I would love, love, love to meet the original screenwriters on this property. They must be some interesting people.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #48
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I would love, love, love to meet the original screenwriters on this property. They must be some interesting people.

Sounds like something Andy Sidaris would make, actually.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #49
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, they missed on the market for sure! But we fixed everything and everybody is happy!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #50
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmmm this thing is tough. Can you spare a post to tell me what to do? I figured out how to start projects but from there it seems like only hit words that are green because they are buttons.

I'd be happy to talk about it! Everything you can do in the game has a help Red Book button beside it to tell you what it is except a few things, like pay or play contracts for talent and some stuff like that.

So, let's look at writing a screenplay.

You have to determine genre and sub genre, animated or live action, your primary and secondary audiences, where and when it's set, what the quality of the script will be, what the story scope, set construction, pyro effects, robotics, and sfx needed will be. How may extras. Violence, love scnes and language are needed. how much stunt work is required.

Then you have to input your characters, and choose age, role, whether they have nudity, stunts, implied love scenes, how difficult the role is, how old the character is, are they needed for a sequel, how much make up need, are they playing a human or something else, what is the talent focus - action, drama, comedy, or something else, etc. Then choose an ending - tragic, thought-provoking, upbeat, ambiguous, etc. Once you've done all of that, save it, and then move to your current projects list and open it up and send it out for a script.

You can also purchase already done scripts, or get ideas from plays, movies, tv shows, comics, novels, and lots of other places. You can send that idea out for a write, and if you change details, it will take longer to do a modified script. Purchasing already completed scripts is what I recommend starting with. Then all you have to do is budget, choose locations, cast, and green light it.