Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #351
QuikSand
lolzcat

We have one more trade in the works, bringing Brent Sedor yet another target to work with in the passing game. It would be nice to surround him with brilliant young talent to rise up with him, but for now, it looks like we'll be focusing mostly on established veterans.

Tyrone Hastings is an 8th year veteran who has been a solid achiever in his career -- posting 800+ yards receiving in six of his seven seasons in the league. A former first round selection, Hastings has played for Jupiter since the league's first rookie draft, and wears a championship ring from that experience.

We like his career Receiver Efficiency rating of just around 8 -- in the area I want to see for a productive starting wideout. He should Join Chesapeake and figure right in as our starting flanker, giving Brent Sedor, hopefully, the reliable target on the outside that he has needed.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #352
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free Agency Update

After the first two stages of free agency have elapsed, we have landed our first veteran signee. I am an unabashed fan of the run-stopper at defensive tackle, and 8th year DL Toby Tubbs is just such a guy – my scout rates him 80/90 in run defense, and he has posted a career Tackle % of 7.3 – not bad for a defensive tackle. It looks to me like he was the run side of a platoon the last few years in Jersey, and we might end up using him in the same role. Tubbs will cost us $1.2 million this year and next – he’s got half the salary cap “footprint” of Chuck Linquist, a player whom he resembles very closely. Tubbs actually has slightly better ratings overall – my scout rates Tubbs at 43/50, and Linquist at 41/44. Tubbs is also an affinity asset for our defensive front group, which helps things as well. I’m pleased with this first signing -- Tubbs might look very good in a platoon with our long-time star Eugene Bradham as our left-side defensive tackle.

WR Tyrone Hastings has joined the team, and we’re pretty excited to have him aboard. My scout rates him at 48/50, and we figure he will slot right in as our starting flanker for this season. His contract is very favorable: only $850K this year, and after that it rises from $2.1m up to $4m in year five. My best guess is we’ll work him hard for the next couple of seasons, even if we do make a big draft day investment at WR, which is still a possibility, especially if our top targets are off the board before our selection comes up.

Two good moves in the bag, I think.

Next big event is the long-awaited South Carolina liquidation sale. Our division mates have announced an “everything must go” approach to the season ahead, and are auctioning off numerous quality players. Potential big swings in the league balance of power are at stake, I think – we have made bids on several levels, and might pick up one or two immediate impact players. Or we might end up with absolutely nothing. Regardless, it will be interesting to watch how it plays out.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #353
QuikSand
lolzcat

Trade Update

With the South Carolina sell-off now largely resolved, here’s our update.

First, the crown jewel of the auction, from both my perspective and several others’ as well. WR Harvey Snyder is a very solid-looking 4th year player, who was a top pick and has developed nicely:

I made an offer or two for Snyder, but in the end (without all the complications) I think it turned into a binary decision – if CHE was willing to give up our pick at 1(6) this year, we’d land Snyder. If not, we wouldn’t.

We opted to hold the pick, and Snyder went in a deal that involved pick 1(9) in this draft. So it goes – perhaps he’s the one that got away.

We did, however, swing a pretty big deal to land two defensive players who we expect to play major roles for us right away. First, we land linebacker Daryl Ewart:

We have something of a past with Ewart – back six seasons ago when he was in the rookie draft pool, we really liked him, and had a near coin-flip situation between Ewart and Travis Kuykendall. We were sufficiently impressed with Kuykendall’s sub-4.4 speed to use the pick on him, but both players worked out to be very good. Until recently, it would have been a worthy debate on which guy was the better – as both had been very productive and had developed well (I know Kuykendall was one of those guys who was still inching upward in his potential each year). However, Kuykendall had a cataclysmic injury in the middle of the 2009 season, and now he’s about thirty cents on the dollar to the player he once was – so he’s no longer a top-profile player. Ewart, on the other hand, remains a top-tier strong-side linebacker who annually registers well over 100 tackles and can contribute in the pass rush as needed. An injury-driven acquisition, but landing Ewart gives us another fairly young stalwart to add to our defensive front.

In the same deal, we also land another defensive player at an injury-driven need position, in CB Lewis Kuehler:

With the late-season injury to the rapidly-improving Dixon Webb last season, we now have a near void at CB beyond restricted free agent Herman Padgett. So, landing Kuehler here is an ideal move for our secondary, especially if Webb never comes back (at 38 weeks on the injury clock, not a bad bet from here). We play a lot of bump and run coverage, and are undecided about how much man-up to use this year – but Kuehler ought to be able to handle things both ways. With luck, he might turn out to be the playmaker that we have lacked in our secondary – his interception rating will be among the highest in our secondary. Coming off two seasons of 20+ PDPct ratings, Kuehler looks like a very nice fit for us at CB alongside Padgett for this year and beyond.

We ought to be buying some security here, as well, as both players will be renegotiated and then traded – so we’ll have a multi-year extension on the table for each player, bonus-free. With some luck, that should help us keep things fairly stable in the next several years to come, presumably with both Ewart and Kuehler in featured, starting roles.

For the two-player deal, we back up the bank truck, and send away a fleet of good draft picks:

This year’s pick at 1(19)
Next year’s 2nd round pick
The following year’s 2nd and 3rd round picks

Yes, it’s a lot to give up, but I think on balance this is a good place to land. For this season, we still have a pretty useful complement of picks to use:

1(6)
2(4)
5(21)
5(22)
7(8)

With these additions, and the ones that we’ve already engineered, I think we have our immediate need situation fairly clearly boiled down to three positions: Running Back, Wide Receiver, and Defensive End. I put them on roughly equal footing, really – and I’m pretty confident that we can land a player at one of those positions with our selection at 1(6), or else work out a trade down to find a good fit a little later (there are a few good QB prospects in this draft, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see some activity around those players). At 2(4), we’ll have a shot to either spin the wheel on a player (like we did with WR George Ellis last year) or else pick up a guy who falls farther than we’d have expected.

That probably ends our major offseason flurry – we’ve sent away most of the draft picks that we had to make real deals with. We’re pursuing LB John Galvan in free agency, though the urgency there is lessened, obviously, by the acquisition of Ewart (who will most definitely start over Galvan anyway). We also are after a veteran wide receiver – in the hopes of patching over our wideout fleet for the right-away, independent of any additional youth infusion that may be forthcoming.

Big moves.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #354
QuikSand
lolzcat

Free Agency Update

After stage three, our major focus of free agency is now complete. We sign WR Robert Torpey to a four year deal, probably overpaying him, but he was by a sizable margin the best fit remaining for us. Torpey is actually a fairly similar player to our other recently-acquired wideout Tyrone Hastings – decent, productive, veteran receiver who gives us a guy to send out right away, and an affinity. Not bad. Torpey is in his 10th year, so we will see some subtle declining, I expect, but WR was such a need position that I felt adding him was really mandatory.

Torpey will hit our salary cap this year for some $3 million – but even if this turns out to be a two-year deal with a $1.6 cap-eat at the end, we’ll be okay, I reckon.

So, for right now – here’s my basic thinking at the WR position for the year ahead:

Flanker: Tyrone Hastings, George Ellis
Split End: Robert Torpey, Danny Napiecek
Reserves: Justin Berkey, Jake Madison

Madison probably comes into this season now “on the bubble” – he’s an affinity guy with some return skills, but I just haven’t found any room for him to get onto the field, even in a WR-strapped season like last year.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #355
QuikSand
lolzcat

For my own edifiction: 4,375 hits as of this post
Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #356
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
For my own edifiction: 4,375 hits as of this post

Still reading .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #357
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Free Agency Update

After the first two stages of free agency have elapsed, we have landed our first veteran signee. I am an unabashed fan of the run-stopper at defensive tackle, and 8th year DL Toby Tubbs is just such a guy – my scout rates him 80/90 in run defense, and he has posted a career Tackle % of 7.3 – not bad for a defensive tackle. It looks to me like he was the run side of a platoon the last few years in Jersey, and we might end up using him in the same role. Tubbs will cost us $1.2 million this year and next – he’s got half the salary cap “footprint” of Chuck Linquist, a player whom he resembles very closely. Tubbs actually has slightly better ratings overall – my scout rates Tubbs at 43/50, and Linquist at 41/44. Tubbs is also an affinity asset for our defensive front group, which helps things as well. I’m pleased with this first signing -- Tubbs might look very good in a platoon with our long-time star Eugene Bradham as our left-side defensive tackle.

You got a good player in Tubbs. You were quite fortunate to get him when you did, as I would've put in a strong bid to retain him had I not been out of town for the first (very ill-timed, for me) three stages of free agency.

*sigh*
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #358
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
You got a good player in Tubbs. You were quite fortunate to get him when you did, as I would've put in a strong bid to retain him had I not been out of town for the first (very ill-timed, for me) three stages of free agency.

*sigh*
Hey Fonzie - if that happens again, just leave some instructions with the BOG and we'll be happy to help...it's no problem at all.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #359
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
We sign WR Robert Torpey to a four year deal, probably overpaying him, but he was by a sizable margin the best fit remaining for us. Torpey is actually a fairly similar player to our other recently-acquired wideout Tyrone Hastings – decent, productive, veteran receiver who gives us a guy to send out right away, and an affinity. Not bad. Torpey is in his 10th year, so we will see some subtle declining, I expect, but WR was such a need position that I felt adding him was really mandatory.
I wanted him, but just couldn't free up cap space to make an adequate offer. Good signing, IMO.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #360
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hey Fonzie - if that happens again, just leave some instructions with the BOG and we'll be happy to help...it's no problem at all.

I didn't even think of that option - which just goes to show the limitations of my cognitive capacity. Thanks for the offer, Subby. I'll definitely do that next time.

P.S. - I hope my previous post didn't come off as pouting about the timing, as that certainly wasn't my intent. I was perfectly willing to roll the dice and hope Tubbs (and my DT Keith Abad) would still be alive in the marketplace when I returned. I gambled and lost, and am perfectly content with the outcome.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #361
QuikSand
lolzcat

What’s Left?

Well, after the flurry of trades, I have updated my projected team draft chart – and right now, we have 53 players we’re already planning to keep. That means we have three draft picks and who-knows-what after the draft (I seem to always fall in love with one or another stiff player in the after-draft rookie pool) who come in and need to displace someone just to make the roster.

In free agency, we have one big decision remaining: how aggressively do we pursue LB John Galvan? He has been a staple for our defense for years, and he’d be a solid guy to retain – but as he sits out there, he now looks like he’s probably the biggest impact player left in free agency. He is contemplating offers in the 4 years, $16 million range – meaning he’d be seeing at least $3m+ in bonus money under this league’s rules. That is well above what I had been planning to slot for him – indeed, my current offer is dwarfed by the open market.

On the other hand, partially by dumping so many draft picks, we have cap space this year. We can make a $5 million offer under the cap this season – and we’re in real jeopardy of seeing that just go by the wayside. Having some cap space is fine for making renegotiations a bit smoother, but all told, I’d rather be using it than losing it, of course.

One option, then, would be to make a fairly serious offer to LB Galvan. I haven’t built anything quite yet, but it’s possible that we go after him more aggressively than we had planned. His role on this team would probably be as our 4th LB, and perhaps in the mix for consideration at DE, so we’d get some use out of him, I reckon. Whether a multi-year deal with a multi-million dollar bonus makes sense for a 10th year guy projecting to be a backup is another matter entirely.

Incidentally, here’s the list of current team members who were with Chesapeake in 2005, when we won our league championship:

C John Houtz – assumed leadership of the OL group that year, I think
WR Justin Berkey – had 952 yards receiving as a full-time starter
DE Alvin Hall – our top pick in the initial distribution draft
DT Eugene Bradham - standout DT was all-world in 2004 with 16 sacks
DE Cornelius Kleinsasser – decent reserve saw time at DE and DT
LB John Galvan – full-time starter at strong side for great defense
LB Steven Watkins – started at MLB for us in his prime, great tackler
SS Mark Carr – was seeing time at both S and CB in those days, as now
FB Charles Emerson – got time at FB and HB in his rookie season
LT Stanley Tilton – mainly a reserve as a rookie (he was very undeveloped)
LB D.J. Dennis – special teams “gunner” as a 2nd year URFA pickup
Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #362
QuikSand
lolzcat

Draft Update

The rookie draft is underway, and we have pared down our early interest to two picks – those at 1(6) and 2(4). I have my list of six players ready to go, and assuming the top QB is take ahead of us (rather certain) we will be landing a need player for this team. I think it’s unlikely that we will move out of this pick, up or down.

…time passes…

Well, after Washington traded up from #7 to #4 in order to take the lightning-fast WR Butch Roque, we had two players left on our list for #6. And, while I like a top-tier defensive back as much as the next guy, it’s fairly clear that our real needs are on the offensive side of the ball. We work out a deal with Seal Beach at #5, and send them four minor draft picks to move up that one spot, and take the other of the two standout wide receivers in this draft, WR Burt Pearson:

He’s not perfect. But in my mind, he fits the mold of a tough, physical receiver – he’s one of the fastest guys in the entire draft (not a 4.30 like Roque, but quick and far better in the agility drill) and he was the strongest player at the position in the rookie combine. I had said that all thing equal, I thought these two wideouts were suited to be picked at around #8-12… and I meant that, but things are not equal. This is a league starved for talent at the skill positions, and landing decent-enough defensive backs has been far easier than getting productive wideouts. I hope we won’t be licking in the top ten anytime soon again, so we needed to land our impact receiver while we could.

Now, we sit back and hope, hope, hope that he holds up under closer inspection.

Last edited by QuikSand : 06-15-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #363
QuikSand
lolzcat

Several Updates

Well, first, some disheartening news. We have gotten WR Burt Pearson into pre-training camp, and the first look is a little disappointing – our scouts have ratcheted down his future potential rating from 71 to 68, a meaningful drop. He still projects as a very solid player, but I hate to see that kind of drop in his first look. Stay tuned there.

We have made an acquisition at the WR position, with a multi-step plan in mind. We have signed veteran WR Charles Renaud to a multi-year deal. Renaud is here, quite simply, because Burt Pearson is here. First of all, Renaud is a mentor at the WR position, which we needed after the departure of Jimmy Castellano this offseason. So, that should help anyway.

Now, we have to deal with chemistry – Pearson is a conflict with our current group leader, TE Joel Connell. So, here’s the plan: we cut loose Connell, and 12th year man Renaud will become our group leader, and he will have an affinity with seven players in the group, and no conflicts. We’re basically back to where we were with this switch, plus we can keep Renaud active as a guy for returns and a reserve wideout.

At the moment, that pushes up to eight wide receivers on the roster. Among the returning players, I suspect that Jake Madison will probably go, and now that Clyde Rego is no longer an affinity contributor, his spot (at TE) might be in jeopardy as well. Danny Napiecek signed a very affordable deal last year, and that might keep him around – though I have trouble seeing him getting onto the field a lot this year (and hopefully beyond).

In the draft, I had a number of skill position players queued up to be taken with our selection at 2.4, but alas, the rest of the league was on the same page as me, and I was surprised and disappointed to see the whole list get exhausted before us. So, we dealt the pick away, acquiring a future 2nd and 3rd to help replenish some of the picks we dealt away earlier this offseason. Looks like our draft is actually over, but we’ll probably make our usual foray into the after-draft URFA market.

Still no update on LB John Galvan. We have in an offer, but no movement yet.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #364
QuikSand
lolzcat

Galvan Signs

We came into this year’s free agency figuring that LB John Galvan, though a longtime figure for our defense, simply wasn’t a $5 million player. Using the franchise tag on him woulc have occupied that much cap space, which didn’t make any sense – so we left him uncapped, and figured to battle for him anyway.

Here we are, waiting out the last few stages of free agency, hoping to see him sign with us, rather than head off elsewhere. And this is after we have traded for a younger, better player who will surely be his replacement at the string-side linebacker position. Heh.

This week, Galvan makes up his mind:

Code:
OLB John Galvan Chesapeake Chili Dogs resigned as an unrestricted free agent $15.00 mil., 3 yrs.

So, the drama ends, and Galvan re-ups with us here in Chesapeake. At $5 million a year.

Alas, thing unfolded a little bit unexpectedly this season for us, as we missed on a couple of big money free agents, and we ended up trading away two early draft picks for players on cheap contracts. The result is a lot of cap space – the $5m cap hit this season for Galvan is very well in hand – it’s the future years that might pose a problem.

Anyway, Galvan steps right back into the mix for us at both LB and perhaps DE, where he might end up being pretty effective in getting to the passer for us.

At this point, we are sitting on 52 players under contract, one unsigned rookie, and probably 4 restricted free agent players we expect to sign once their demands bottom out. And we have $3.4 million in available cap space, and expect to see even more freed up once we work out a new deal with DE Alvin Hall, who’s eating over $12m right now. We’ll need a bit of cap space for the new contract with CB Herman Padgett, so having a bit of space will come in handy – but this is a little bit silly, honestly. Poor management, once again.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #365
QuikSand
lolzcat

Schedule for 2011

For the coming year, here’s our docket:

Code:
Chesapeake Chili Dogs 2011 Regular Season Schedule Week Opponent 2010 Record Week 1 at Dodge City Vigilantes 9-7 Week 2 ETTAMOGAH PUBLICANS 3-13 Week 3 WASHINGTON PILEDRIVERS 6-10 Week 4 OPEN Week 5 MYRTLE BEACH MAGICIANS 9-7 Week 6 at Portland Pisces 11-5 Week 7 DULUTH DEATH DUCKS 6-10 Week 8 at Davis Toads 7-9 Week 9 at Wheeling Miners 8-8 Week 10 SOUTH CAROLINA CROSSFIRE 10-6 Week 11 DODGE CITY VIGILANTES 9-7 Week 12 ANNAWAN CORN SHUCKERS 7-9 Week 13 at Seal Beach Sting Rays 5-11 Week 14 at Capital City Nationals 13-3 Week 15 PORTLAND PISCES 11-5 Week 16 at Mars Martians 10-6 Week 17 at South Carolina Crossfire 10-6

Well, amidst the usual vagaries of semi-random schedule-making, we seem to have drawn a total murderer’s row for our final few games this season. The top two records in the other conference draw are both saved for late, and both are on the road – ouch.

We have had a recent history of making a good run in the mid-to-late season, followed by a massive choke to give it all away. This year sets up for more of the same, I fear – just by the numbers, we could get on a nice little roll in weeks 7 through 13 or so, and perhaps put ourselves into a good spot – and then drop our final four games and end up back to 8 or 9 wins again. Ugh.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #366
QuikSand
lolzcat

Trade and Draft Update

We worked out a minor trade, sending away veteran DL Chuck Linquist and landing a 4th round pick in this year’s rookie draft. Linquist has been a solid contributor for us, playing mostly as a run-stopping defensive tackle, but with the acquisition of Toby Tubbs, we have a slightly better-suited affinity guy for much the same role, and can let go of Linquist and his inflated salary of $2.4 million.

With the fourth round pick, we pick up an intriguing prospect at QB, Alex Gerhardt. Here is the scouting summary:

Code:
Gerhardt, Alex, QB, NW Missouri St. Born: 12-6-1987 Ht: 5'9" Wt: 203 lbs Form: 08 Scrn: 19 Shrt: 19 Med : 36 Long: 14 Deep: 85 3rdP: 28 AInt: 56 Acc : 17 Tim : 44 Rush: 85 Read: 85 2Min: 22 Scrm: 85 Fumb: 26 Hold: 14 Confidence: 48 NFL Pos: QB RB WR CB S

He’s got super-high volatility, and a pretty strong combine – if he pans out to be a 36/36 guy, this doesn’t really work out for us. But if he manages to boost that future potential in these early stages, then this will have panned out nicely for us.

The mix of skills, though limited, is in the right place, honestly – avoiding interceptions, avoiding the rush and reading defenses are pretty high on my list.

Gerhart is also, incidentally, a double affinity guy for our offense – so he might have some incidental contribution regardless.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #367
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Schedule for 2011

Code:
Week Opponent 2010 Record Week 7 DULUTH DEATH DUCKS 6-10

we could get on a nice little roll in weeks 7 through 13 or so

Bulletin Board. A game against Duluth is supposed to kick off a winning streak in Chesapeake. Sedor better watch his back in this one

In all seriousness, my sucess in the South Carolina sweepstakes makes this a completely different Duluth team. We picked up 8 starters, of which at least 6 of which would start on almost any team. I fully expect to be in the playoffs this year.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #368
QuikSand
lolzcat

Draft Update

We failed in our meager attempt to get back into the draft – I wanted to land a promising affinity safety in round five, but he was selected very shortly after I put out word of my interest, so we missed out. He wasn’t a good skill fit for us anyway (lousy at bump coverage) but he did have a great combine and would have been a chemistry plus.

So, the drat ends today, and we get to the rounding out phase next. I usually invite a ton of undrafted rookies, but this year might be different –- with no injuries in preseason, I’ll end up cutting nearly everyone I sign at this point. I might be incrementally better off leaving some of the outsiders I kinda like unsigned, so I could theoretically sign them mid-season if we have injury problems freeing up a roster slot. Slightly different thinking, resulting from the league effort to “move things along” during the pretend games. (We’re playing them all at one, with injuries turned off, to speed up the offseason stages a bit)

We’ll see if I am truly able to contain myself.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #369
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Draft Update

We failed in our meager attempt to get back into the draft – I wanted to land a promising affinity safety in round five, but he was selected very shortly after I put out word of my interest, so we missed out. He wasn’t a good skill fit for us anyway (lousy at bump coverage) but he did have a great combine and would have been a chemistry plus.

So, the drat ends today, and we get to the rounding out phase next. I usually invite a ton of undrafted rookies, but this year might be different –- with no injuries in preseason, I’ll end up cutting nearly everyone I sign at this point. I might be incrementally better off leaving some of the outsiders I kinda like unsigned, so I could theoretically sign them mid-season if we have injury problems freeing up a roster slot. Slightly different thinking, resulting from the league effort to “move things along” during the pretend games. (We’re playing them all at one, with injuries turned off, to speed up the offseason stages a bit)

We’ll see if I am truly able to contain myself.

What's the over/under on this?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #370
QuikSand
lolzcat

Likely about 5 1/2.

At this point, I honestly have between 52 and 55 players that I know I want to keep on the roster... so I'm going to have to make a difficult cut as it stands. Every undrafted rookie I sign who looks interesting enough to keep ends up costing me one more player that I actually want on the team. My wisest strategy would be to not even submit files during these stages. I am quite certain that will not happen.

(Well, we need to re-sign some RFAs anyway, so while we're there, it can't really hurt to have a quick look at the rookies, right???)

Make it 7 1/2.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #371
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Likely about 5 1/2.

At this point, I honestly have between 52 and 55 players that I know I want to keep on the roster... so I'm going to have to make a difficult cut as it stands. Every undrafted rookie I sign who looks interesting enough to keep ends up costing me one more player that I actually want on the team. My wisest strategy would be to not even submit files during these stages. I am quite certain that will not happen.

(Well, we need to re-sign some RFAs anyway, so while we're there, it can't really hurt to have a quick look at the rookies, right???)

Make it 7 1/2.

Vegas is SO fickle...

Might want to make it 9 1/2...

Quote:
Old 07-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #372
QuikSand
lolzcat

Late Free Agency and Camp Update

Well, bucking my usual form, I was able to restrain myself from pursuing a number of rookie free agent players. We’ll have a look in training camp at a few rookie tight ends, and if anyone earns a roster spot – well, we will figure out how to deal with that after the preseason, I reckon.

We also have re-signed LB D.J. Dennis, a longtime Chili Dog who went unclaimed through early free agency, and should help us again on special teams and as a reserve ‘backer.

Following training camp, we have a few movers among our young players. QB Alex Gerhardt has definitely secured the slot as our #3 QB, and we have dealt away veteran QB Rodney Beach for a future draft pick. Beach would have been nice to mentor Gerhardt, but candidly, we’re going to have a roster slot crunch as it is.

My best guess is that veteran Clyde Rego will retain his job as the #3 option at TE, despite his decline in skills and loss of affinity. He’s decent, he’s been with us for years, and none of the youngsters showed us much. TE Frank Gonzalez bumped up in camp a bit, but a bump to a rating of 20/45 doesn’t suggest he’ll ever really be much of a player – plus, he has a lot of his skill in places like “courage” which impress me less than other things.

QB Brent Sedor has gained one more formation for this season – the 5WR spread. I doubt we will find ourselves using that very often, but I hope that’s a sign that he is on his way toward mastering the multiple-WR sets that can play a role in a wide-open attack down the road.

Not much to report here – I’m still mulling over what to do to get down to 53 players, even before considering any free agents who might get released between now and then.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #373
QuikSand
lolzcat

Preseason Underway

Since we’ve wiped out injuries from the league’s preseason – I guess I have no choice but to focus on the actual games, for once. With nothing to report lately anyway, UI suppose there’s little to no opportunity cost for doing so.

Code:
Box Score: Annawan at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Exhibition Week 1, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 71 degrees, fair. 1Q: 10:47 CHE - George Ellis 36 pass from Alex Gerhardt. 1Q: 10:47 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 14:53 AWN - Willie Nixon 28 field goal. 2Q: 13:43 AWN - Willie Nixon 35 field goal. 2Q: 05:40 AWN - Marcus Boone 4 run. 2Q: 05:40 AWN - Willie Nixon extra point. 3Q: 00:00 CHE - Ty Sims 3 pass from Alex Gerhardt. 3Q: 00:00 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 06:34 AWN - Marcus Boone 1 run. 4Q: 06:34 AWN - Deron Huffman pass for conversion failed. Game MVP: AWN 46 Marcus Boone Annawan 0 13 0 6 - 19 Chesapeake 7 0 7 0 - 14 Team Statistics AWN CHE First Downs 20 15 Total Rushes 36 21 Rushing Yards 144 93 Yards Per Carry 4.0 4.4 Pass Attempts 33 32 Completions 17 19 Passing Yards 153 177 Yards Per Attempt 4.6 5.5 Sacked 3 1 Yards Lost 17 7 Interceptions 0 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 1/1 Total Plays 72 54 Total Yards 280 263 Yards Per Play 3.8 4.8 3rd Down Plays 8/17 5/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 6.9 6.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1 Penalties 5 5 Penalty Yards 25 35 Avg. Drive Start OWN 35 OWN 23 Time Of Possession 33:57 26:03 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 24 Chatterley 10 41 4.1 11 0 47 Wunderlich 6 30 5.0 11 0 7 Gerhardt 3 15 5.0 7 0 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 3 0 49 Sherman 1 4 4.0 4 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 7 Gerhardt 32 19 177 5.5 36 2 0 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 47 Wunderlich 4 31 7.7 20 11 0 18 Ellis 3 55 18.3 30 36 1 83 Sims 3 16 5.3 0 8 1 86 Napiecek 2 20 10.0 0 10 0 13 Cooper 2 22 11.0 2 15 0 49 Sherman 2 14 7.0 4 12 0 42 Emerson 1 2 2.0 2 2 0 24 Chatterley 1 6 6.0 6 6 0 8 Pearson 1 11 11.0 0 11 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 3 3.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 4 86 21.5 0 27 Kuehler 1 21 21.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 8 292 36.5 42 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 0 0 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 21 McCartney 7 4 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 68 Gerhardt 5 1 1.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 4 1 1.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 0 0.5 0 0 0 77 Olivo 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 4 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 62 Reach 2 2 0.5 0 0 0 58 Galvan 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 52 Houtz 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 6 Alston 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 1 52 Houtz 0 0 0 0 2 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 2 0 47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 1 0 27 Kuehler 0 1 0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

Tough loss, but the key players I’m watching played fairly well. The running game was solid, and Alex Gerhardt seemed comfortable in the offense, where he actually got to play the entire game, to my surprise.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at French French, TN. Exhibition Week 2, 2011 Attendance: 58,600 (76,100). Weather: 84 degrees, fair. 1Q: 07:00 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 5 pass from Alex Gerhardt. 1Q: 07:00 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 00:34 CHE - Chuck Chatterley 22 run. 1Q: 00:34 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 12:50 FRE - Tommy Taute 22 field goal. 2Q: 05:24 CHE - David Everhart 35 field goal. 2Q: 02:19 FRE - Fred Doleman 29 pass from Anselmo Attaway. 2Q: 02:19 FRE - Tommy Taute extra point. 3Q: 06:17 CHE - Chuck Chatterley 1 pass from Harry Ross. 3Q: 06:17 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 01:08 FRE - Martin Todd 1 pass from Anselmo Attaway. 3Q: 01:08 FRE - Tommy Taute extra point. 4Q: 07:56 CHE - George Ellis 7 pass from Harry Ross. 4Q: 07:56 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 7 Alex Gerhardt Chesapeake 14 3 7 7 - 31 French 0 10 7 0 - 17 Team Statistics CHE FRE First Downs 22 19 Total Rushes 34 23 Rushing Yards 127 94 Yards Per Carry 3.7 4.0 Pass Attempts 31 37 Completions 18 18 Passing Yards 208 290 Yards Per Attempt 6.7 7.8 Sacked 4 2 Yards Lost 27 13 Interceptions 0 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 2/0 Total Plays 69 62 Total Yards 308 371 Yards Per Play 4.4 5.9 3rd Down Plays 9/17 6/15 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.7 8.4 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1 Penalties 4 8 Penalty Yards 26 70 Avg. Drive Start OWN 32 OWN 30 Time Of Possession 31:54 28:06 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 24 Chatterley 13 63 4.8 22 1 47 Wunderlich 9 31 3.4 9 0 49 Sherman 5 14 2.8 7 0 7 Gerhardt 4 16 4.0 5 0 2 Ross 2 -3 -1.5 -1 0 18 Ellis 1 6 6.0 6 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 7 Gerhardt 22 11 102 4.6 24 1 0 3 2 Ross 9 7 106 11.7 40 2 0 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 18 Ellis 5 73 14.6 2 24 1 47 Wunderlich 3 19 6.3 9 12 1 89 Renaud 2 54 27.0 14 40 0 13 Cooper 2 9 4.5 2 6 0 24 Chatterley 2 5 2.5 6 4 1 83 Sims 2 29 14.5 2 16 0 86 Napiecek 1 9 9.0 0 9 0 8 Pearson 1 10 10.0 0 10 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 13 4.3 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 50 25.0 0 89 Renaud 1 14 14.0 0 18 Ellis 1 22 22.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 6 247 41.1 58 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 35 4 4 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 95 Watkins 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 1 1.0 1 23 0 57 Dennis 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 2 1.0 0 0 0 77 Olivo 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 68 Gerhardt 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 2 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 3 0 55 Lambeau 0 0 0 0 2 0 61 Boyd 0 0 0 0 0 1 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 0 1 52 Houtz 0 0 0 0 2 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0 34 Tellez 0 1 0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 1 0 0 0 0

A solid win in our opener, with rookie QB Gerhardt looking pretty good, and Chuck Chatterly trying to earn himself a roster spot at RB. Backup QB Harry Ross picked apart their reserve secondary.

In both games, rookie WR Burt Pearson was a minor factor, which is some cause for worry. But I’ve never really made decisions based on exhibition game stats, and I’m not going to start doing so now.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #374
QuikSand
lolzcat

Preseaon Wraps Up

So, we play out the last two pretend games – here are the summaries:

Code:
Box Score: Norman at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Exhibition Week 4, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 72 degrees, rain. 1Q: 02:49 CHE - David Everhart 31 field goal. 2Q: 09:28 NOR - Winfred Weyand 2 pass from Mike Chapman. 2Q: 09:28 NOR - Morris Robertson extra point. 2Q: 04:51 CHE - Chuck Chatterley 8 pass from Alex Gerhardt. 2Q: 04:51 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 00:05 NOR - Byron Heinemann 1 pass from Mike Chapman. 3Q: 00:05 NOR - Morris Robertson extra point. 4Q: 07:01 NOR - Morris Robertson 33 field goal. 4Q: 02:05 NOR - Morris Robertson 30 field goal. 4Q: 01:18 CHE - Chuck Chatterley 5 pass from Alex Gerhardt. 4Q: 01:18 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 00:00 CHE - David Everhart 44 field goal. OT: 10:16 NOR - Morris Robertson 50 field goal. Game MVP: NOR 6 Mike Chapman Norman 0 7 7 6 3 - 23 Chesapeake 3 7 0 10 0 - 20 Team Statistics NOR CHE First Downs 19 20 Total Rushes 18 28 Rushing Yards 35 108 Yards Per Carry 1.9 3.8 Pass Attempts 44 34 Completions 30 20 Passing Yards 264 259 Yards Per Attempt 6.0 7.6 Sacked 2 5 Yards Lost 14 27 Interceptions 0 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 64 67 Total Yards 285 340 Yards Per Play 4.4 5.0 3rd Down Plays 7/16 4/14 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.8 8.5 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 5 8 Penalty Yards 25 40 Avg. Drive Start OWN 33 OWN 28 Time Of Possession 32:20 32:24 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 47 Wunderlich 9 51 5.6 12 0 24 Chatterley 9 15 1.6 3 0 7 Gerhardt 6 30 5.0 8 0 49 Sherman 4 12 3.0 5 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 7 Gerhardt 34 20 259 7.6 48 2 0 5 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 8 Pearson 4 60 15.0 11 22 0 24 Chatterley 3 23 7.6 8 10 2 18 Ellis 3 80 26.6 23 48 0 47 Wunderlich 2 21 10.5 3 14 0 86 Napiecek 2 24 12.0 3 20 0 13 Cooper 2 31 15.5 1 22 0 89 Renaud 1 10 10.0 1 10 0 42 Emerson 1 4 4.0 4 4 0 49 Sherman 1 5 5.0 5 5 0 83 Sims 1 1 1.0 0 1 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 8 4.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 54 27.0 0 18 Ellis 2 29 14.5 0 89 Renaud 1 25 25.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 7 236 33.7 45 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 3 44 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 56 Kuykendall 7 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 2 1 1.0 0 0 0 68 Gerhardt 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 77 Olivo 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 42 Emerson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 63 Alonso 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 62 Reach 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 1 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 0 1 52 Houtz 0 0 0 0 0 3 61 Boyd 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 6 Alston 0 0 0 0 1 0 Norman Drive Chart Quar Began Poss From Plays Yards Result 1 10:58 1:59 OWN 24 3 7 Punt 1 2:49 4:46 OWN 19 10 47 Punt 2 11:10 1:42 OPP 17 4 17 Touchdown 2 4:51 1:32 OWN 19 3 7 Punt 2 1:17 0:57 OWN 34 4 9 Punt 3 15:00 2:07 OWN 39 3 3 Punt 3 9:46 0:52 OWN 8 3 3 Punt 3 6:18 6:13 OWN 20 11 80 Touchdown 4 11:48 4:47 OWN 43 7 41 Field Goal 4 6:00 3:55 50 8 37 Field Goal OT1 13:50 3:34 OWN 33 8 34 Field Goal Chesapeake Drive Chart Quar Began Poss From Plays Yards Result 1 15:00 4:02 OWN 40 7 43 Missed FG 1 8:59 6:10 OWN 27 10 59 Field Goal 2 13:03 1:53 OWN 20 3 9 Punt 2 9:28 4:37 OWN 38 10 62 Touchdown 2 3:19 2:02 OWN 23 4 8 Punt 2 0:20 0:20 OWN 9 1 5 Half 3 12:53 3:07 OWN 14 5 33 Punt 3 8:54 2:36 OPP 47 6 9 Punt 3 0:05 3:17 OWN 11 5 11 Punt 4 7:01 1:01 OWN 20 3 -5 Punt 4 2:05 0:47 OWN 42 5 58 Touchdown 4 1:13 1:13 OWN 40 6 33 Field Goal OT1 15:00 1:10 OWN 24 3 0 Punt

A really solid game for rookie QB Alex Gerhardt, who gets to play the entire game (for reasons I still don’t understand at all). I’m delighted with his on-field performance, and with his running style and development potential, he looks like a great guy to pencil in as a future backup to Sedor.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Capital City Capital City, MN. Exhibition Week 5, 2011 Attendance: 62,300 (68,000). Weather: 61 degrees, rain. 1Q: 08:55 CAP - Peter Ashmore 1 pass from Richie Herndon. 1Q: 08:55 CAP - Marvin Chung extra point. 2Q: 09:50 CHE - Danny Napiecek 8 pass from Harry Ross. 2Q: 09:50 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 06:05 CAP - Marvin Chung 53 field goal. 2Q: 01:20 CHE - George Ellis 38 pass from Harry Ross. 2Q: 01:20 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 04:58 CAP - Marvin Chung 53 field goal. 4Q: 10:54 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 1 pass from Harry Ross. 4Q: 10:54 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 03:44 CAP - William Nieves 40 pass from Brenden Webster. 4Q: 03:44 CAP - Brenden Webster pass to William Nieves for conversion OT: 05:52 CHE - David Everhart 25 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 2 Harry Ross Chesapeake 0 14 0 7 3 - 24 Capital City 7 3 3 8 0 - 21 Team Statistics CHE CAP First Downs 26 15 Total Rushes 39 23 Rushing Yards 161 94 Yards Per Carry 4.1 4.0 Pass Attempts 40 39 Completions 28 19 Passing Yards 297 212 Yards Per Attempt 7.4 5.4 Sacked 1 1 Yards Lost 5 7 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/1 0/0 Total Plays 80 63 Total Yards 453 299 Yards Per Play 5.6 4.7 3rd Down Plays 10/17 7/18 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.2 7.3 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 11 7 Penalty Yards 98 47 Avg. Drive Start OWN 31 OWN 22 Time Of Possession 41:30 27:38 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 47 Wunderlich 16 49 3.0 10 0 24 Chatterley 15 54 3.6 13 0 49 Sherman 5 26 5.2 13 0 7 Gerhardt 3 32 10.6 23 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 2 Ross 29 22 255 8.7 38 3 0 0 7 Gerhardt 11 6 42 3.8 11 0 1 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 47 Wunderlich 10 102 10.2 41 34 1 18 Ellis 9 119 13.2 15 38 1 8 Pearson 4 32 8.0 12 19 0 86 Napiecek 2 14 7.0 1 8 1 89 Renaud 1 15 15.0 0 15 0 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 1 3 0 83 Sims 1 12 12.0 0 12 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 -7 -7.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 86 Napiecek 2 49 24.5 0 27 Kuehler 1 38 38.0 0 18 Ellis 1 24 24.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 5 236 47.2 51 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 2 25 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 95 Watkins 8 2 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 6 2 0.0 0 0 0 70 Armagost 5 0 1.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 3 4 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 77 Olivo 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 41 Upshaw 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 52 Houtz 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 55 Lambeau 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 24 Chatterley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 83 Sims 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 4 0 52 Houtz 0 0 1 0 2 0 47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 1 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 2 0 24 Chatterley 2 0 0 0 0 0 61 Boyd 0 0 0 0 1 0

We are obliged to cut down to 53 players (plus the one on IR) for the season opener, and the last few cuts will be difficult.

The walking papers go to:
TEs Frank Gonzalez, Jonathan Alston, and Ty Sims – as Clyde Rego holds the #3 TE slot
G Kenyon Alonso – tough to break into the lineup with a settled group already
CB Henry Birkland – no young corners left to mentor, and no market for him
RB Chuck Chatterly – special teams skills keep Alex Sherman as our #3 RB
DE Dexter Gerhardt – just not enough skill to go along with that affinity
Old 07-14-2006, 05:51 AM   #375
QuikSand
lolzcat

The seasosn is underway, I'm just behind in posting, after being out of town a bit lately. I'll plan to update on Monday, I think.

Go C-Dogs!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #376
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 1: Chesapeake at Dodge City

We start things off with a visit to our hated rivals, the Vigilantes. We typically expect the Vigs to make a big effort to run against us, but I’m going with a fairly balanced defensive gameplan this go around, as their feature back is in his waning years, and I suspect they are trying to find more balance.

Code:
#Box Score: Chesapeake at Dodge City !Dodge City, NM. Week 1, 2011 Attendance: 66,000 (66,000). Weather: 64 degrees, rain. *1Q: 07:29 CHE - Stacey Jan 4 pass from Brent Sedor. *1Q: 07:29 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $1Q: 01:12 DGC - Alfred Cousin 8 pass from Bill Sampson. $1Q: 01:12 DGC - Oscar Forrester extra point. $2Q: 00:15 DGC - Oscar Forrester 20 field goal. *3Q: 03:06 CHE - David Everhart 33 field goal. $4Q: 10:39 DGC - Oscar Forrester 18 field goal. *4Q: 03:48 CHE - Charles Emerson 1 run. *4Q: 03:48 CHE - David Everhart extra point. !Game MVP: CHE 59 Doug McKenzie *Chesapeake 7 0 3 7 - 17 $Dodge City 7 3 0 3 - 13 !Team Statistics CHE DGC First Downs 20 14 Total Rushes 42 31 Rushing Yards 176 89 Yards Per Carry 4.1 2.8 Pass Attempts 25 19 Completions 16 15 Passing Yards 153 157 Yards Per Attempt 6.1 8.2 Sacked 1 1 Yards Lost 5 6 Interceptions 2 1 Fumbles/Lost 2/1 0/0 Total Plays 68 51 Total Yards 324 240 Yards Per Play 4.7 4.7 3rd Down Plays 10/16 2/10 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.4 6.5 4th Down Plays 0/1 0/0 Penalties 6 3 Penalty Yards 32 25 Avg. Drive Start OWN 33 OWN 30 Time Of Possession 33:02 26:58 *Chesapeake Individual Statistics !Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD *45 Copley 27 123 4.5 45 0 *16 Sedor 8 36 4.5 9 0 *47 Wunderlich 4 10 2.5 6 0 *42 Emerson 2 3 1.5 2 1 *80 Torpey 1 4 4.0 4 0 !Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd *16 Sedor 25 16 153 6.1 36 1 2 1 !Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD *47 Wunderlich 5 25 5.0 17 7 0 *85 Jan 3 48 16.0 7 36 1 *8 Pearson 3 35 11.6 3 16 0 *87 Hastings 2 28 14.0 0 22 0 *45 Copley 1 3 3.0 0 3 0 *80 Torpey 1 3 3.0 0 3 0 *13 Cooper 1 11 11.0 3 11 0 !Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD *18 Ellis 2 37 18.5 0 !Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD *27 Kuehler 2 44 22.0 0 *18 Ellis 2 28 14.0 0 !Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 *9 Alfonso 2 77 38.5 41 2 !Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att *19 Everhart 1 3 33 2 2 !Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD *59 McKenzie 11 3 1.0 0 0 0 *92 Ewart 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 *78 Tubbs 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 *27 Kuehler 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 *21 McCartney 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 *31 Padgett 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 *29 Schwantz 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 *97 Gibbons 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 *98 Hall 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 *36 Carr 2 0 0.0 1 0 0 *40 Dunn 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 *96 Lents 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 *45 Copley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *71 Shah 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *16 Sedor 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 *34 Tellez 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 !Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd *54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 1 *73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 4 0 *60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 *18 Ellis 2 0 0 0 0 0 *47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 0 *85 Jan 0 0 0 0 1 0 *98 Hall 0 0 1 0 0 0 *42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 *79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 *13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0

Pretty typical rivalry game – ours are usually pretty close and fairly low scoring. We have to be pleased with the results from our ground game here – after a pretty shaky season last year, Craps Copley might actually succeed for us as the first-and-ten back after all.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #377
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 2: Ettamogah at Chesapeake

On paper, we ought to have this team in hand, but they are pretty unfamiliar to us. For a home opener, we’d like to see things click here and get us off to a solid 2-0 start.

Code:
#Box Score: Ettamogah at Chesapeake !Chesapeake, PA. Week 2, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 64 degrees, fair. $1Q: 10:05 CHE - Craps Copley 2 run. $1Q: 10:05 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $1Q: 05:07 CHE - Tyrone Hastings 24 pass from Brent Sedor. $1Q: 05:07 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $2Q: 14:42 CHE - Lewis Kuehler 49 fumble return. $2Q: 14:42 CHE - David Everhart extra point failed. $2Q: 11:39 CHE - George Ellis 12 pass from Brent Sedor. $2Q: 11:39 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $2Q: 09:47 CHE - Robert Torpey 22 pass from Brent Sedor. $2Q: 09:47 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $2Q: 02:50 CHE - George Ellis 5 pass from Brent Sedor. $2Q: 02:50 CHE - David Everhart extra point. *3Q: 13:33 ETT - Marty Poston 44 field goal. *3Q: 02:19 ETT - Alonzo Doyle 3 run. *3Q: 02:19 ETT - Marty Poston extra point failed. $4Q: 13:09 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 17 pass from Alex Gerhardt. $4Q: 13:09 CHE - David Everhart extra point. $4Q: 08:16 CHE - David Everhart 22 field goal. $4Q: 04:02 CHE - David Everhart 40 field goal. $4Q: 00:24 CHE - David Everhart 50 field goal. !Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor *Ettamogah 0 0 9 0 - 9 $Chesapeake 14 27 0 16 - 57 !Team Statistics ETT CHE First Downs 11 29 Total Rushes 18 34 Rushing Yards 50 131 Yards Per Carry 2.7 3.8 Pass Attempts 32 40 Completions 13 25 Passing Yards 157 332 Yards Per Attempt 4.9 8.3 Sacked 4 0 Yards Lost 24 0 Interceptions 3 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/2 1/1 Total Plays 54 74 Total Yards 183 463 Yards Per Play 3.3 6.2 3rd Down Plays 4/13 6/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.3 9.3 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 4 13 Penalty Yards 39 95 Avg. Drive Start OWN 22 OWN 44 Time Of Possession 23:24 36:36 $Chesapeake Individual Statistics !Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD $45 Copley 13 43 3.3 15 1 $47 Wunderlich 13 42 3.2 11 0 $42 Emerson 4 7 1.7 3 0 $16 Sedor 4 39 9.7 15 0 !Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd $16 Sedor 19 13 158 8.3 24 4 0 0 $7 Gerhardt 16 10 144 9.0 36 1 0 0 $2 Ross 5 2 30 6.0 18 0 0 0 !Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD $87 Hastings 6 111 18.5 23 36 1 $18 Ellis 4 43 10.7 0 15 2 $8 Pearson 4 56 14.0 5 18 0 $47 Wunderlich 3 24 8.0 20 17 1 $89 Renaud 3 42 14.0 2 22 0 $85 Jan 2 16 8.0 8 11 0 $80 Torpey 2 34 17.0 2 22 1 $42 Emerson 1 6 6.0 6 6 0 !Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD $89 Renaud 1 18 18.0 0 $18 Ellis 1 20 20.0 0 !Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD $18 Ellis 1 24 24.0 0 !Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 $9 Alfonso 4 157 39.2 44 2 !Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att $19 Everhart 3 3 50 6 7 !Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD $27 Kuehler 4 3 0.0 1 0 0 $21 McCartney 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 $98 Hall 3 0 2.0 0 0 0 $31 Padgett 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 $34 Tellez 3 0 0.0 1 0 0 $97 Gibbons 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 $23 Vesser 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 $59 McKenzie 2 1 0.0 1 0 0 $90 Kleinsasser 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 $56 Kuykendall 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 $58 Galvan 1 0 1.0 0 0 0 $93 Bradham 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 $40 Dunn 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 $78 Tubbs 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 $92 Ewart 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 $85 Jan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $89 Renaud 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $36 Carr 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $42 Emerson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $66 Schmit 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $96 Lents 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 $8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 !Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd $79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 4 0 $47 Wunderlich 1 0 0 0 1 0 $78 Tubbs 0 1 1 0 0 0 $27 Kuehler 0 0 1 1 0 0 $42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 $54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 $60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0 $34 Tellez 0 1 0 0 0 0

Damn. Solid effort, even by the second string. QB Alex Gerhardt even got in on the action, getting a lot of action and playing well. But the C-Dogs defense was clearly in command of this one from the start.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #378
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 3: Washington (0-2) at Chesapeake (3-0)

So, we are at home again, to Subby’s team who is following the same path we are (building around a young QB-WR combo). They are a year behind us, and I like our supporting cast a shade better – we’ll hope to see our defense come through again.

Code:
Box Score: Washington at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 3, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 73 degrees, fair. 1Q: 12:53 CHE - David Everhart 40 field goal. 2Q: 12:11 CHE - Brent Sedor 8 run. 2Q: 12:11 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:32 WAS - Luther Shaw 10 run. 2Q: 00:32 WAS - Blake Lilja extra point. 4Q: 11:48 CHE - David Everhart 43 field goal. 4Q: 03:38 WAS - Blake Lilja 34 field goal. 4Q: 00:10 CHE - David Everhart 25 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Washington 0 7 0 3 - 10 Chesapeake 3 7 0 6 - 16 Team Statistics WAS CHE First Downs 14 20 Total Rushes 18 33 Rushing Yards 87 221 Yards Per Carry 4.8 6.6 Pass Attempts 35 31 Completions 21 14 Passing Yards 192 143 Yards Per Attempt 5.4 4.6 Sacked 3 3 Yards Lost 14 18 Interceptions 2 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 4/4 Total Plays 56 67 Total Yards 265 346 Yards Per Play 4.7 5.1 3rd Down Plays 3/13 6/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 9.1 8.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 8 4 Penalty Yards 65 25 Avg. Drive Start OWN 32 OWN 32 Time Of Possession 28:25 31:35 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 21 148 7.0 38 0 47 Wunderlich 5 29 5.8 7 0 16 Sedor 5 37 7.4 15 1 42 Emerson 2 7 3.5 6 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 31 14 143 4.6 17 0 0 3 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 47 Wunderlich 3 28 9.3 2 12 0 85 Jan 3 18 6.0 8 8 0 8 Pearson 3 45 15.0 4 17 0 45 Copley 2 21 10.5 3 17 0 87 Hastings 2 27 13.5 4 14 0 42 Emerson 1 4 4.0 4 4 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 11 5.5 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 3 87 29.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 159 53.0 71 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 3 4 43 1 1 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 8 4 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 6 3 0.0 1 6 0 29 Schwantz 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 4 1 0.0 1 0 0 58 Galvan 3 0 2.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 3 1 1.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 13 Cooper 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 49 Sherman 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 6 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 3 1 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 2 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 0 1 45 Copley 2 0 0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 2 0 16 Sedor 1 0 0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

Another very strong effort by our ground game, as we control the ball very nicely here. Through three games, we are among the league leaders in running the ball (2nd in both total yards and yards per carry) and stopping the run – that’s a formula that has worked well for a lot of good teams in the past, both in FOF and the NFL. I’m pleased thus far.

We get week 4 off with a bye, and will rest up our weary and banged up secondary.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #379
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 5: Myrtle Beach (1-3) at Chesapeake (3-0)

We’re hosting a team that has dangled their long-time starting QB on the trade wire this week – that’s an odd sign. Myrtle Beach lost their stud RB (4th year guy, picked #1 overall in his draft the year before Sedor) last year to an injury, and now they have a decent but not imposing assemblage of offensive talent. They look pretty tough up the middle, so I don’t expect we will romp on them with our running game, but we’ll try to take advantage on the outer edges a little bit with some short passing.

We are made only 2 point favorites at home, which seems odd to me… but we’ll do our best to prove them wrong.

Code:
Box Score: Myrtle Beach at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 5, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 45 degrees, fair. 1Q: 08:21 CHE - David Everhart 26 field goal. 1Q: 01:59 CHE - Brent Sedor 6 run. 1Q: 01:59 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 14:54 CHE - Craps Copley 2 run. 2Q: 14:54 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 02:43 MRB - Shaun Hayakawa 1 run. 2Q: 02:43 MRB - Joel Griffith extra point. 3Q: 07:59 MRB - Joel Griffith 21 field goal. 3Q: 02:19 CHE - Robert Torpey 6 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 02:19 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 13:40 MRB - Joel Griffith 38 field goal. 4Q: 02:07 CHE - David Everhart 35 field goal. 4Q: 00:00 MRB - Fernando Quinlan 45 pass from Giant Woods. 4Q: 00:00 MRB - Joel Griffith extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Myrtle Beach 0 7 3 10 - 20 Chesapeake 10 7 7 3 - 27 Team Statistics MRB CHE First Downs 22 22 Total Rushes 21 31 Rushing Yards 81 132 Yards Per Carry 3.8 4.2 Pass Attempts 37 33 Completions 20 17 Passing Yards 308 218 Yards Per Attempt 8.3 6.6 Sacked 3 1 Yards Lost 17 5 Interceptions 4 0 Fumbles/Lost 2/0 0/0 Total Plays 61 65 Total Yards 372 345 Yards Per Play 6.0 5.3 3rd Down Plays 5/11 7/14 Avg. YTG on 3rd 6.0 6.7 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 9 6 Penalty Yards 74 45 Avg. Drive Start OWN 23 OWN 37 Time Of Possession 27:09 32:51 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 18 55 3.0 14 1 47 Wunderlich 6 16 2.6 6 0 16 Sedor 5 26 5.2 6 1 42 Emerson 2 35 17.5 24 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 33 17 218 6.6 26 1 0 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 47 Wunderlich 7 61 8.7 39 14 0 80 Torpey 4 44 11.0 2 18 1 87 Hastings 3 54 18.0 8 26 0 8 Pearson 2 42 21.0 6 24 0 45 Copley 1 17 17.0 0 17 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 8 8.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 1 19 19.0 0 18 Ellis 1 25 25.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 5 206 41.2 46 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 2 35 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 6 0 0.0 1 8 0 59 McKenzie 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 4 0 1.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 4 0 0.0 1 10 0 96 Lents 3 0 2.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 4 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 4 0.0 1 43 0 97 Gibbons 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 0 1 0.0 1 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 4 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 3 0 98 Hall 0 1 0 0 0 0 36 Carr 0 1 0 0 0 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0

So, it’s really not a grand victory – but the mercy TD at the end did make it look closer than it really was. We were again pretty efficient on offense, and pretty stout on defense, and had the game pretty well in hand (mostly with four interceptions). As it should be, playing at home against a struggling rival.

Through our first four games, here’s the team summary:

Code:
2011 Summary for Chesapeake Chili Dogs Record: 4-0 Winning Pct.: 1.000 Chesapeake Chili Dogs Team Rank Rushes 140 12 (T) Rushing Yards 660 4 Yards Per Carry 4.71 2 Pass Attempts 129 27 Completions 72 27 Passing Yards 846 24 Yards Per Attempt 6.55 19 3rd Down Conversions 51.7 4 Points Per Game 29.2 2 Turnovers 8 19 (T) Turnover Margin +4 6 Opponents Team Rank Rushes 88 1 Rushing Yards 307 1 Yards Per Carry 3.48 6 Pass Attempts 123 5 Completions 69 5 Passing Yards 814 6 Yards Per Attempt 6.61 11 3rd Down Conversions 29.7 3 Points Per Game 13.0 3 Turnovers 12 4 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 17 at DGC 13 2 57 ETT 9 3 16 WAS 10 5 27 MRB 20 6 at POR 7 DUL 8 at DVS 9 at WHE 10 SCA 11 DGC 12 AWN 13 at SLB 14 at CAP 15 POR 16 at MAR 17 at SCA Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 16 Sedor QB 108 60 672 6.22 6 2 7 Gerhardt QB 16 10 144 9.00 1 0 **Team --- 129 72 846 6.55 7 2 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 45 Copley RB 79 369 4.67 2 47 Wunderlich FB 28 97 3.46 0 16 Sedor QB 22 138 6.27 2 42 Emerson FB 10 52 5.20 1 **Team --- 140 660 4.71 5 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 47 Wunderlich FB 27 18 138 7.6 78 1 87 Hastings WR 18 13 220 16.9 35 1 8 Pearson WR 20 12 178 14.8 18 0 85 Jan TE 13 8 82 10.2 23 1 80 Torpey WR 22 7 81 11.5 4 2 45 Copley RB 7 4 41 10.2 3 0 18 Ellis WR 6 4 43 10.7 0 2 **Team --- 129 72 846 11.7 176 7 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn 59 McKenzie ILB 26 8 1.0 0 1 2 92 Ewart OLB 19 7 0.0 0 1 0 31 Padgett CB 15 1 0.0 0 1 1 21 McCartney S 14 8 0.0 0 2 2 29 Schwantz S 13 4 0.0 0 0 1 98 Hall DE 12 3 4.0 3 0 0 78 Tubbs DE 11 4 0.0 3 0 0 27 Kuehler CB 11 6 0.0 0 1 2 58 Galvan OLB 8 0 3.0 4 1 0 97 Gibbons ILB 7 3 1.0 0 0 1 96 Lents DT 6 1 2.0 1 0 0 36 Carr S 5 2 0.0 0 1 0 93 Bradham DT 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn S 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez CB 4 2 0.0 0 1 3 **Team --- 182 55 11.0 11 10 16

It’s not a huge sample size, and it is a bit pillowed by one giant win in there, but still – we have to like hat we are seeing. Notable performances thus far:

* Brent Sedor – QB rating is up to about 85, and he has made fewer mistakes then last year, solid signs of a maturing QB, but I’m really not ready to open things up too much

* Craps Copley – playing well in the first-and-ten role, and getting solid support from the offensive line again (we’re at 43% on KRBs, and only 4 sacks in four games)

* Receiving Corps – lots of new faces here, most are fitting in well (I’m troubled by Robert Torpey, but overall returns look good and younger players are coming along

* Defensive Front – getting decent pressure and stopping the run well, that’s all we ask of them

* Secondary – a little disappointing, but new addition Kuehler did miss two games with an injury – he’ll be back and might be the catalyst

So, we’re 4-0… to the record has to speak first. But is this team really already a serious big threat? Tough to say – we did add two very solid veteran players, and our young guys are continuing to develop. I do feel that the arrow is pointed up – but it’s not clear to me that we’re really “there” already. Next week, at Portland… that should help tell the story. They are 4-1 now, and a win for the C-Dogs next week would put us two games up in the loss column – that would be HUGE.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #380
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow, totally missed that you were updating this again.. congrats on 4-0!

Quote:
Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #381
QuikSand
lolzcat

4-0 is huge, but winning in Portland (sim is at noon today) would be monumental.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #382
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 6: Chesapeake (4-0) at Portland (4-1)

Well, here it is – the chance for us to stake our early season claim to the division title. Portland has won it three years running while we have been down – and with a win at their place, we could essentially gain a two-game edge on them. Early season games don’t get much bigger.

We don’t tinker much with the game plan, and have re-activated CB Lewis Kuehler – past that, we’re ready to try to line up and see who’s better.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Portland Portland, OR. Week 6, 2011 Attendance: 77,600 (79,700). Weather: 73 degrees, rain. 2Q: 12:42 POR - Tyrus Foley 43 field goal. 2Q: 05:57 CHE - Craps Copley 1 run. 2Q: 05:57 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 02:07 CHE - Tyrone Hastings 25 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 02:07 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 13:53 POR - Greg Renzi 4 pass from Benjamin Fuller. 4Q: 13:53 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 4Q: 09:59 CHE - Craps Copley 4 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 09:59 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 06:56 POR - Isaac Mansour 13 pass from Benjamin Fuller. 4Q: 06:56 POR - Mickey McKnight run for conversion. 4Q: 02:57 POR - Tyrus Foley 41 field goal. 4Q: 00:27 CHE - David Everhart 51 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 0 14 0 10 - 24 Portland 0 3 0 18 - 21 Team Statistics CHE POR First Downs 22 17 Total Rushes 32 23 Rushing Yards 121 107 Yards Per Carry 3.7 4.6 Pass Attempts 33 36 Completions 21 17 Passing Yards 251 181 Yards Per Attempt 7.6 5.0 Sacked 1 1 Yards Lost 6 7 Interceptions 1 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 2/1 Total Plays 66 60 Total Yards 366 281 Yards Per Play 5.5 4.6 3rd Down Plays 4/11 4/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 10.5 9.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 6 10 Penalty Yards 37 67 Avg. Drive Start OWN 29 OWN 36 Time Of Possession 32:11 27:49 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 20 54 2.7 8 1 16 Sedor 10 59 5.9 12 0 47 Wunderlich 1 5 5.0 5 0 80 Torpey 1 3 3.0 3 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 33 21 251 7.6 38 2 1 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 85 Jan 5 48 9.6 7 20 0 47 Wunderlich 4 22 5.5 14 8 0 87 Hastings 3 43 14.3 7 25 1 18 Ellis 3 60 20.0 13 38 0 45 Copley 2 12 6.0 6 8 1 80 Torpey 1 24 24.0 6 24 0 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 0 3 0 13 Cooper 1 16 16.0 3 16 0 8 Pearson 1 23 23.0 0 23 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 2 1.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 60 20.0 0 27 Kuehler 1 25 25.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 5 171 34.2 41 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 2 51 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 12 1 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 6 3 0.0 1 28 0 96 Lents 4 1 1.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 89 Renaud 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 13 Cooper 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 1 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 3 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 0 47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 0 85 Jan 0 0 0 0 1 0 58 Galvan 0 0 1 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 97 Gibbons 0 1 0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 1 0 0 0 0

So, we have a fairly weird game – really a pretty controlled, defensive struggle through three quarters with 17 total points on the board. Then all hell breaks loose in the fourth quarter, as we see them rally from 11 points down with 10 minutes left to tie things up. But they left too much time on the clock – we drove for the winning field goal to win it in the final minute and sent the Portland fans home sad. Wow.

And with that, Chesapeake stand at 5-0, and we have the division lead firmly to ourselves. Here are the conference standings at this point in the season:

Code:
2011 Regular Season Standings NC North W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Calverton 5 1 0 .833 168 112 4-1 1-1 Norwich 3 2 0 .600 113 74 3-1 1-1 Seal Beach 2 4 0 .333 155 202 2-3 1-1 Ayr 1 4 0 .200 93 131 1-3 1-1 NC South W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Hell Creek 6 0 0 1.000 180 70 5-0 2-0 Madison 3 3 0 .500 111 108 3-2 2-0 State College 3 3 0 .500 97 120 2-3 1-2 Washington 0 6 0 .000 62 155 0-5 0-3 NC East W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Chesapeake 5 0 0 1.000 141 73 4-0 2-0 Portland 4 2 0 .667 153 103 3-2 1-1 Dodge City 2 3 0 .400 94 84 2-2 0-1 South Carolina 0 6 0 .000 55 186 0-5 0-1 NC West W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Davis 4 2 0 .667 138 129 4-1 2-0 Wheeling 2 3 0 .400 91 83 1-3 0-1 Duluth 2 3 0 .400 80 78 1-3 0-2 Myrtle Beach 2 4 0 .333 90 119 2-3 1-0

Hell Creek is a perennial power in the conference, so it’s no shock to see them running hot as well. Calverton remains a crazy flying circus, and they are scoring a lot of points themselves. We stand at +68 in the points margin, and at 5-0 we are off to a great start. We have a long way to go to lock anything up, but we couldn’t have asked for a better start.

Break out the brass to welcome home the conquering heroes!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #383
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 7: Duluth (2-3) at Chesapeake (5-0)

Back home, against a non-conference foe, this might be a trap game, but we’re finally getting some respect in the betting lines – we are made 10 point favorites here. I decide it’s a good time to see what this offense can do, and I loosen the throttle a bit for Sedor, hoping to see him spread the ball a bit more and get it downfield some.

Code:
Box Score: Duluth at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 7, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 64 degrees, fair. 1Q: 09:20 CHE - Brent Sedor 2 run. 1Q: 09:20 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 03:50 DUL - Troy Shea 1 run. 1Q: 03:50 DUL - Ricky Garcia extra point. 2Q: 12:12 CHE - David Everhart 28 field goal. 2Q: 07:54 DUL - Ricky Garcia 48 field goal. 2Q: 01:47 CHE - Daryl Ewart 47 interception return. 2Q: 01:47 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:02 CHE - David Everhart 59 field goal. 3Q: 09:38 DUL - Ricky Garcia 47 field goal. 4Q: 12:12 DUL - Ricky Garcia 50 field goal. 4Q: 06:17 DUL - Troy Shea 2 run. 4Q: 06:17 DUL - Ricky Garcia extra point. Game MVP: CHE 98 Alvin Hall Duluth 7 3 3 10 - 23 Chesapeake 7 13 0 0 - 20 Team Statistics DUL CHE First Downs 23 19 Total Rushes 32 23 Rushing Yards 117 125 Yards Per Carry 3.6 5.4 Pass Attempts 31 29 Completions 18 17 Passing Yards 222 166 Yards Per Attempt 7.1 5.7 Sacked 4 3 Yards Lost 26 22 Interceptions 3 2 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 2/0 Total Plays 67 55 Total Yards 313 269 Yards Per Play 4.6 4.8 3rd Down Plays 7/13 5/11 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.0 8.2 4th Down Plays 0/0 1/1 Penalties 3 3 Penalty Yards 23 20 Avg. Drive Start OWN 32 OWN 31 Time Of Possession 32:53 27:07 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 10 44 4.4 15 0 16 Sedor 7 56 8.0 18 1 47 Wunderlich 5 26 5.2 11 0 42 Emerson 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 29 17 166 5.7 19 0 2 3 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 45 Copley 4 41 10.2 7 14 0 85 Jan 4 30 7.5 11 10 0 47 Wunderlich 3 27 9.0 1 12 0 80 Torpey 3 39 13.0 7 19 0 87 Hastings 1 13 13.0 1 13 0 13 Cooper 1 4 4.0 4 4 0 18 Ellis 1 12 12.0 3 12 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 47 23.5 0 18 Ellis 2 43 21.5 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 3 124 41.3 48 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 3 59 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 97 Gibbons 8 1 0.0 1 10 0 98 Hall 6 1 4.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 6 4 0.0 1 47 1 27 Kuehler 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 5 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 1 3 0.0 1 0 0 78 Tubbs 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 77 Olivo 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 1 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 2 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 1 85 Jan 0 0 1 0 1 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 1 0 1 0 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 1 0 16 Sedor 1 0 0 0 0 0

Well, so much for the pass-heavy gameplan. Either it didn’t take, or the dice kept coming up run, since this is pretty much the result we’re used to seeing at game’s end anyway.

And, so much for the unbeaten record. We can’t hold our lead in the fourth quarter, and give this one away before the home crowd, no other way to look at it. We were really in command here, until two late interceptions turned into the ten points they needed to salt this one away. Odd… my gameplan intended for us to throw early when the game was close, and to lay off later if we were ahead… looks like we did the opposite. **shurg**

I’m a little concerned about our downfield passing game – here’s a closer look for this one game:

Code:
Chesapeake Passing Breakdown Distance Pass Comp Yards Ave Screen 3 3 12 4.0 Short (0-8 Yds) 7 6 48 6.8 Medium (9-18 Yds) 15 8 106 7.0 Long (19+ Yds) 4 0 0 0.0 Passing Attempt Comp BdThrw Dropd Defnsd Blockd Hurried Intrcpt 16 Sedor 29 17 0 2 3 2 3 2 Receiving Target Caught Dropd Yards PassPlay 80 Torpey 7 3 0 39 21 45 Copley 5 4 0 41 24 85 Jan 5 4 0 30 24 87 Hastings 5 1 2 13 22 47 Wunderlich 3 3 0 27 9 18 Ellis 2 1 0 12 13 13 Cooper 1 1 0 4 7 8 Pearson 1 0 0 0 15

I guess the spread here isn’t too bad – we continued to go after the underneath stuff pretty aggressively, but with pretty good effect.

WR Robert Torpey remains by far the least productive member of the receiving corps – he’s caught only 11 of 34 balls thrown his way. On a pretty fat free agent contract, I was hoping for a guy there who could be pretty reliable – I am not really pleased with these results at all. I think 2nd year man George Ellis is going to get a look in the starting split end role soon – he’s hauled in 8 out of 12 targets this year.

We also have some shuffling to do – MLB Doug McKenzie and LT Horace Kolodzik, both key players for us, are each going to miss several games. This was a bad week in Chesapeake – not only for the loss on the field, but for weakening us for the next month or so with these two serious casualties.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #384
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 8: Chesapeake (5-1) at Davis (4-2)

We can’t be upset about standing at 5-1m but the nature of the loss does sting a bit. So we hit the road and face Davis this week, and will look to tweak the passing game a bit more, trying to find a combination that works a bit better, especially downfield.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Davis Davis, CA. Week 8, 2011 Attendance: 56,100 (66,000). Weather: 68 degrees, fair. 1Q: 10:19 CHE - David Everhart 49 field goal. 1Q: 04:04 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 8 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 04:04 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 03:06 CHE - Craps Copley 9 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 03:06 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 00:23 DVS - Clyde McGee 41 field goal. 3Q: 05:22 DVS - Michael Valasquez 6 pass from Thomas Clanton. 3Q: 05:22 DVS - Clyde McGee extra point. 4Q: 13:36 CHE - Tyrone Hastings 6 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 13:36 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 10:42 CHE - Charles Emerson 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 10:42 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 06:46 CHE - Brent Sedor 7 run. 4Q: 06:46 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 10 7 0 21 - 38 Davis 0 3 7 0 - 10 Team Statistics CHE DVS First Downs 23 13 Total Rushes 21 25 Rushing Yards 110 54 Yards Per Carry 5.2 2.1 Pass Attempts 40 35 Completions 25 16 Passing Yards 289 174 Yards Per Attempt 7.2 4.9 Sacked 4 1 Yards Lost 24 6 Interceptions 0 3 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/1 Total Plays 65 61 Total Yards 375 222 Yards Per Play 5.7 3.6 3rd Down Plays 5/13 7/15 Avg. YTG on 3rd 9.1 7.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 8 3 Penalty Yards 52 13 Avg. Drive Start OWN 37 OWN 25 Time Of Possession 34:22 25:38 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 16 Sedor 9 47 5.2 10 1 45 Copley 7 47 6.7 19 0 47 Wunderlich 4 2 0.5 1 0 42 Emerson 1 14 14.0 14 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 40 25 289 7.2 35 4 0 4 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 80 Torpey 5 75 15.0 9 23 0 45 Copley 4 20 5.0 7 9 1 85 Jan 4 62 15.5 8 23 0 42 Emerson 3 7 2.3 1 3 1 18 Ellis 3 64 21.3 19 35 0 47 Wunderlich 2 12 6.0 0 8 1 87 Hastings 2 18 9.0 3 12 1 8 Pearson 2 31 15.5 8 21 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 34 Tellez 1 4 4.0 0 18 Ellis 1 6 6.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 39 19.5 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 6 210 35.0 39 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 2 49 5 5 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 21 McCartney 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 6 1 0.5 0 0 0 92 Ewart 5 1 0.0 1 1 0 97 Gibbons 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 3 2 0.5 0 0 0 36 Carr 2 1 0.0 1 0 0 89 Renaud 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 1 0 0.0 1 39 0 23 Vesser 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 3 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 0 3 98 Hall 0 1 0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 0 0 1 0 0 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0

Well, this was a far better performance, oddly enough, and probably one of Sedor’s best games. We put it away late after our defense played very well throughout, and ended up with a very nice overall box score here.

Interestingly, after being demoted from the starting split end position, WR Robert Torpey steps forth and leads the team in receptions and yardage this week – hard to figure, but I guess we’ll leave it like this for now. The two starters (Hastings and Ellis) each have fairly low settings for playing time, and the reserves behind them (now Pearson and Torpey) got almost as many pass plays on the field as the starters – a fair distribution given the mix of talent we have now, I think.

Code:
Chesapeake Passing Breakdown Distance Pass Comp Yards Ave Screen 5 4 23 4.6 Short (0-8 Yds) 8 6 18 2.2 Medium (9-18 Yds) 17 10 123 7.2 Long (19+ Yds) 10 5 125 12.5 Passing Attempt Comp BdThrw Dropd Defnsd Blockd Hurried Intrcpt 16 Sedor 40 25 0 4 1 1 9 0 Receiving Target Caught Dropd Yards PassPlay 45 Copley 8 4 2 20 31 80 Torpey 7 5 0 75 17 85 Jan 6 4 0 62 31 18 Ellis 5 3 1 64 34 87 Hastings 4 2 0 18 25 42 Emerson 4 3 1 7 31 8 Pearson 3 2 0 31 25 47 Wunderlich 2 2 0 12 15 13 Cooper 1 0 0 0 8

Anyway – a good win this week, good effort by the reshuffled defensive front… DL Eugene Bradham played well in his first start after missing basically two years to injury… LB Daryl Ewart filled the MLB hole nicely in the absence of Doug McKenzie… LT Stanley Tilton was one down note, yielding three sacks in his inglorious return to the LT slot he had filled for years for us… good game from DB Mark Carr, playing as a nickel back and seeing a good deal of action on the field as well.

Last edited by QuikSand : 07-27-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #385
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Impressive win
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #386
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 9: Chesapeake (6-4) at Wheeling (3-4)

We are again on the road, out of our division, and up against a team with a solid track record. We need to stay sharp, and we will try to be pretty balanced on offense this week, hoping to see good production from all sides.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Wheeling Wheeling, WV. Week 9, 2011 Attendance: 52,000 (68,000). Weather: 63 degrees, rain. 1Q: 06:41 WHE - Luke Schneider 38 field goal. 1Q: 05:00 CHE - Craps Copley 70 run. 1Q: 05:00 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 11:13 WHE - Antoine Prescott 6 pass from Jonathan Cruse. 2Q: 11:13 WHE - Luke Schneider extra point failed. 2Q: 00:21 WHE - Luke Schneider 28 field goal. 3Q: 14:47 CHE - Tyrone Hastings 80 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 14:47 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 02:29 CHE - Craps Copley 5 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 02:29 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 7 0 14 0 - 21 Wheeling 3 9 0 0 - 12 Team Statistics CHE WHE First Downs 13 21 Total Rushes 25 33 Rushing Yards 154 105 Yards Per Carry 6.1 3.1 Pass Attempts 19 36 Completions 12 24 Passing Yards 187 275 Yards Per Attempt 9.8 7.6 Sacked 3 0 Yards Lost 17 0 Interceptions 0 2 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 0/0 Total Plays 47 69 Total Yards 324 380 Yards Per Play 6.8 5.5 3rd Down Plays 2/9 7/15 Avg. YTG on 3rd 10.1 7.1 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 4 4 Penalty Yards 25 30 Avg. Drive Start OWN 22 OWN 27 Time Of Possession 25:38 34:22 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 14 119 8.5 70 1 16 Sedor 8 18 2.2 8 0 47 Wunderlich 2 8 4.0 6 0 42 Emerson 1 9 9.0 9 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 19 12 187 9.8 80 2 0 3 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 47 Wunderlich 3 17 5.6 6 9 0 87 Hastings 3 100 33.3 69 80 1 45 Copley 2 19 9.5 4 14 1 85 Jan 1 13 13.0 2 13 0 80 Torpey 1 10 10.0 5 10 0 42 Emerson 1 4 4.0 0 4 0 18 Ellis 1 24 24.0 5 24 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 10 5.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 71 23.6 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 7 309 44.1 53 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 0 0 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 9 5 0.0 1 0 0 58 Galvan 9 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 7 1 0.0 1 33 0 78 Tubbs 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 5 3 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 75 Burns 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 2 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 5 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 1 98 Hall 0 0 1 0 0 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

I guess this was a bend-don’t-break victory for us – they held the ball for 35 minutes, had only two turnovers, but still only scored 12 points? Crazy.

Our offense was not impressive – take away the one 70 yard scamper from Copley and he was largely ineffective, and our passing game was efficient but only 12 completions isn’t that big a day period. MVP of the game probably should have been LB Ewart.

We’ll certainly take it, and a win on the road is worth booking – but this wasn’t our best effort. At 7-1, we have reached our halfway point – we’ll have a quick look at the season summary here:

Code:
2011 Summary for Chesapeake Chili Dogs Record: 7-1 Winning Pct.: .875 Chesapeake Chili Dogs Team Rank Rushes 241 15 Rushing Yards 1170 2 Yards Per Carry 4.85 1 Pass Attempts 250 22 Completions 147 19 (T) Passing Yards 1739 21 Yards Per Attempt 6.95 18 3rd Down Conversions 45.0 8 Points Per Game 27.5 3 (T) Turnovers 11 10 (T) Turnover Margin +12 1 Opponents Team Rank Rushes 201 3 Rushing Yards 690 2 Yards Per Carry 3.43 5 Pass Attempts 261 13 (T) Completions 144 12 Passing Yards 1666 7 Yards Per Attempt 6.38 5 3rd Down Conversions 37.8 10 Points Per Game 14.7 2 Turnovers 23 1 Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 17 at DGC 13 2 57 ETT 9 3 16 WAS 10 5 27 MRB 20 6 24 at POR 21 7 20 DUL 23 8 38 at DVS 10 9 21 at WHE 12 10 SCA 11 DGC 12 AWN 13 at SLB 14 at CAP 15 POR 16 at MAR 17 at SCA Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 16 Sedor QB 229 135 1565 6.83 14 5 7 Gerhardt QB 16 10 144 9.00 1 0 **Team --- 250 147 1739 6.95 15 5 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 45 Copley RB 130 633 4.86 4 16 Sedor QB 56 318 5.67 4 47 Wunderlich FB 40 138 3.45 0 **Team --- 241 1170 4.85 9 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 47 Wunderlich FB 41 30 216 7.2 99 2 85 Jan TE 31 22 235 10.6 51 1 87 Hastings WR 39 22 394 17.9 115 4 80 Torpey WR 42 17 229 13.4 31 2 45 Copley RB 27 16 133 8.3 27 3 8 Pearson WR 26 15 232 15.4 26 0 18 Ellis WR 18 12 203 16.9 40 2 **Team --- 250 147 1739 11.8 412 15 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn 92 Ewart OLB 43 18 0.0 0 4 3 59 McKenzie ILB 42 10 1.0 0 1 2 21 McCartney S 31 14 0.0 0 4 5 27 Kuehler CB 29 8 0.0 0 2 4 98 Hall DE 27 7 8.5 8 0 0 58 Galvan OLB 26 5 3.0 8 1 0 29 Schwantz S 26 13 0.0 0 0 5 78 Tubbs DE 23 8 0.5 7 0 0 97 Gibbons ILB 23 5 1.0 0 1 2 31 Padgett CB 22 5 0.0 0 2 5 36 Carr S 14 4 0.0 0 2 1 96 Lents DT 13 6 3.0 4 0 0 34 Tellez CB 9 4 0.0 0 1 4 57 Dennis ILB 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 **Team --- 390 117 17.0 33 19 35

Sedor is taking another step forward – probably due to some development and the improved supporting cast around him. That’s really the big thing we needed to see this year. We remain among the most productive running teams in the league as well, behind an offensive line that is becoming (way ahead of schedule) a centerpiece to this team:

Code:
Blocking Statistics Player Pos Team GP GS KRB KRO BPct SkA PPly SPct RPly OPct Turnbull, Winston C CHE 8 8 19 54 35.1 2 254 0.7 234 23.0 Tilton, Stanley T CHE 8 8 14 31 45.1 6 263 2.2 240 12.9 Brandon, Marvin G CHE 8 8 12 31 38.7 4 256 1.5 230 13.4 Schmit, Gus G CHE 8 8 10 30 33.3 2 257 0.7 237 12.6 Wunderlich, Bill FB CHE 8 5 5 11 45.4 0 187 0.0 173 6.3 Kolodzik, Horace T CHE 6 6 5 16 31.2 0 166 0.0 174 9.1 Burns, Jerry T CHE 4 2 5 9 55.5 1 103 0.9 66 13.6 Jan, Stacey TE CHE 8 8 3 4 75.0 0 190 0.0 196 2.0 Emerson, Charles FB CHE 8 3 2 5 40.0 1 116 0.8 103 4.8 Cooper, Robert TE CHE 8 2 1 3 33.3 0 68 0.0 88 3.4 Lambeau, Wendell C CHE 2 0 0 2 0.0 0 13 0.0 12 16.6

Every single OL has his KRB% up over 33%… and as a team we are approaching 39% -- that’s going to help things out an awful lot. 16 sacks isn’t outstanding, but it’s solid – this unit is certainly helping make things tick, and Kolodzik’s anticipated return ought to help us even more (especially with the pass protection).

On defense, Alvin Hall has had some big games, and his 8.5 sacks halfway through is impressive. We are causing more turnovers than in past years, and I think that was the final missing piece to seeing top tier defensive numbers from this group. Top five in yards per carry and yards per attempt, plus causing three turnovers a game = a defense that can win games on its own, if need be. That’s what we are looking for. Adding two very solid veterans certainly helped, and everyone else stepping into his role nicely has brought things together really well. The signing of LB Galvan is looking like a good move, as he has been very productive in a swing DE/LB role this far.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #387
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 10: South Carolina (0-8) at Chesapeake (7-1)

This week we get to return home and face the uber-tanking division rivals from South Carolina. This offseason, following a very solid run to the playoffs last year, South Carolina’s owner essentially offered to give up his team as he was no longer enjoying the league. He retracted that offer, but then decided that it would provide more personal entertainment for him to simply gut the already-solid team and rebuild almost completely. After some discussions with the league powers that be regarding the sportsmanship of said proposed actions, this was apparently greenlighted, and he sold off nearly all his players for draft picks (including a couple players to us). So, the yield from their rookie harvest is on the field this year – an 0-8 club that is angling for the top pick in next year’s draft to go along with their current legion of rookies.

So, that’s why we’re 16 point favorites this week.

The C-Dogs have been tinkering a bit with the air game lately, and we’ll probably continue with that at home this week.

Code:
Box Score: South Carolina at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 10, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 60 degrees, fair. 1Q: 05:50 CHE - David Everhart 25 field goal. 1Q: 02:04 CHE - David Everhart 39 field goal. 2Q: 08:37 CHE - Craps Copley 3 run. 2Q: 08:37 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 09:46 CHE - David Everhart 30 field goal. 3Q: 05:17 SCA - J.R. Gardner 36 field goal. 4Q: 03:53 CHE - Brent Sedor 10 run. 4Q: 03:53 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor South Carolina 0 0 3 0 - 3 Chesapeake 6 7 3 7 - 23 Team Statistics SCA CHE First Downs 12 25 Total Rushes 18 33 Rushing Yards 96 147 Yards Per Carry 5.3 4.4 Pass Attempts 31 40 Completions 14 24 Passing Yards 119 304 Yards Per Attempt 3.8 7.6 Sacked 3 3 Yards Lost 17 17 Interceptions 1 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/0 Total Plays 52 76 Total Yards 198 434 Yards Per Play 3.8 5.7 3rd Down Plays 3/13 8/16 Avg. YTG on 3rd 9.0 9.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 5 10 Penalty Yards 40 71 Avg. Drive Start OWN 17 OWN 38 Time Of Possession 23:20 36:40 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 14 45 3.2 12 1 47 Wunderlich 9 33 3.6 11 0 16 Sedor 8 65 8.1 16 1 2 Ross 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 42 Emerson 1 5 5.0 5 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 38 22 286 7.5 34 0 1 3 2 Ross 2 2 18 9.0 16 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 18 Ellis 5 105 21.0 25 34 0 45 Copley 4 30 7.5 3 12 0 85 Jan 4 33 8.2 4 10 0 87 Hastings 4 64 16.0 8 23 0 47 Wunderlich 3 28 9.3 2 13 0 42 Emerson 2 16 8.0 2 13 0 80 Torpey 1 23 23.0 1 23 0 13 Cooper 1 5 5.0 4 5 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 22 22.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 5 212 42.4 57 4 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 3 3 39 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 58 Galvan 8 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 4 2 1.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 4 0 1.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 1 0.0 1 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 45 Copley 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 89 Renaud 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 1 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 2 1 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 1 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 2 0 61 Boyd 0 0 0 0 2 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 2 0 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 85 Jan 0 0 1 0 0 0

So, we manage to escape the ultimate trap game and come away with a win. I might have to look at the game logs here to see exactly why we didn’t score more than 23 points on the day (with our defense playing great, and our offense doing pretty well and committing only one turnover, I’d have expected better) but that’s a matter to be resolved in time. We’ll take the win, and try to keep things churning for next week hosting Dodge City.

A result both teams can be happy about! Huzzah!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #388
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 11: Dodge City (4-5) at Chesapeake (8-1)

Home again, and taking on division rivals (and long-time nemesis) Dodge City. They seem to be having a frustrating year, and with all due respect – we’d be glad to help them in their pursuit of an improved draft position next year. historically, these are tight games, too. They have been a run-first team for a long time, but I don’t have a stilted defense in for this week, we will rely on personnel to stop FB Robert Roger and company.

Code:
Box Score: Dodge City at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 11, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 33 degrees, fair. 1Q: 10:19 CHE - Robert Cooper 22 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 10:19 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 04:46 CHE - Craps Copley 2 run. 1Q: 04:46 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 01:34 DGC - Geoff Thompson 67 pass from Bill Sampson. 1Q: 01:34 DGC - Oscar Forrester extra point. 2Q: 14:10 CHE - George Ellis 3 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 14:10 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 04:50 DGC - Oscar Forrester 53 field goal. 2Q: 00:22 CHE - Craps Copley 4 run. 2Q: 00:22 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 09:39 DGC - Jamal Stevenson 16 pass from Bill Sampson. 3Q: 09:39 DGC - Robert Roger run for conversion. 3Q: 01:24 DGC - Oscar Forrester 28 field goal. 4Q: 02:31 DGC - Geoff Thompson 7 pass from Bill Sampson. 4Q: 02:31 DGC - Oscar Forrester extra point. 4Q: 00:00 CHE - David Everhart 25 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Dodge City 7 3 11 7 - 28 Chesapeake 14 14 0 3 - 31 Team Statistics DGC CHE First Downs 19 25 Total Rushes 25 22 Rushing Yards 52 76 Yards Per Carry 2.0 3.4 Pass Attempts 40 41 Completions 22 26 Passing Yards 326 352 Yards Per Attempt 8.1 8.5 Sacked 1 2 Yards Lost 7 12 Interceptions 1 2 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 0/0 Total Plays 66 65 Total Yards 371 416 Yards Per Play 5.6 6.4 3rd Down Plays 8/17 2/8 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.2 8.5 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 2 4 Penalty Yards 17 19 Avg. Drive Start OWN 25 OWN 29 Time Of Possession 31:14 28:46 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 20 66 3.3 27 2 16 Sedor 2 10 5.0 9 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 41 26 352 8.5 36 2 2 2 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 8 Pearson 6 97 16.1 10 36 0 85 Jan 5 60 12.0 3 17 0 45 Copley 4 22 5.5 15 9 0 47 Wunderlich 3 20 6.6 21 15 0 80 Torpey 2 63 31.5 6 36 0 13 Cooper 2 33 16.5 1 22 1 18 Ellis 2 25 12.5 9 22 1 87 Hastings 1 22 22.0 2 22 0 42 Emerson 1 10 10.0 0 10 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 21 10.5 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 4 82 20.5 0 18 Ellis 1 21 21.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 9 Alfonso 6 257 42.8 52 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 25 4 4 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 29 Schwantz 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 5 0 1.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 5 3 0.0 1 1 0 27 Kuehler 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 85 Jan 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 75 Burns 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 0 1 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 0 1 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 85 Jan 0 0 0 0 2 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 29 Schwantz 0 1 0 0 0 0

Looks like a pretty solid start – we led 28-10 at the half, but then we apparently forgot what had worked for us. A last second FG was needed to secure the win, after we gave up the big 18 point comeback. Another FOF thriller!

For our offense, it was like seeing two completely different teams… I have heard this referenced as the “flipped switch” elsewhere. Here’s our first half drive chart:

Code:
Chesapeake Drive Chart Quar Began Poss From Plays Yards Result 1 15:00 4:41 OWN 30 7 70 Touchdown 1 7:34 2:48 OWN 35 6 65 Touchdown 1 1:34 2:24 OWN 28 7 72 Touchdown 2 11:46 1:39 OWN 30 4 10 Punt 2 4:50 4:28 OWN 22 9 78 Touchdown

And then, in the second half…

Code:
Chesapeake Drive Chart 3 13:32 0:29 OWN 32 3 0 Punt 3 9:39 1:45 OWN 30 3 -5 Punt 3 5:37 0:10 OWN 32 1 0 Interception 3 1:24 2:27 OWN 26 6 33 Punt 4 12:08 2:12 OWN 37 4 7 Interception 4 9:13 1:35 OWN 34 3 9 Punt 4 5:34 1:45 OWN 29 3 7 Punt 4 2:31 2:31 OWN 20 10 72 Field Goal

Night and day. Or vice versa, I guess.

In any event – we’ll take a division win any way we can get it. It looks like LB Doug McKenzie will be good to go for next week, so we will be able to restore some normalcy to the defensive lineup – not that we have any complaints with Ewart’s play at the MLB the last few weeks, by any means.

We have apparently lost our punter to tonsillitis… we’ll have to work something out there, I guess. But past that, the injury front looks fairly calm. A few dings and dents, but we’ve dodged serious problems thus far this season, other than Dixon Webb getting blown up as last year closed out (and being on the shelf for this whole season).
Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #389
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 12: Annawan (5-5) at Chesapeake (9-1)

This week, we head out for the first of two games against non-conference opponents. Annawan is basically a ground-game team, so we will try to be prepared for a tough one to be fought in the trenches. Hopefully, the OL and Craps Copley will be up to the task, and we can get the running game going again this week in anticipation of the road stretch ahead.

Code:
Box Score: Annawan at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 12, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 29 degrees, snow. 2Q: 07:05 AWN - Willie Nixon 25 field goal. 2Q: 04:24 CHE - Craps Copley 2 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 04:24 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 02:21 CHE - Charles Emerson 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 02:21 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Annawan 0 3 0 0 - 3 Chesapeake 0 7 7 0 - 14 Team Statistics AWN CHE First Downs 14 15 Total Rushes 38 27 Rushing Yards 119 126 Yards Per Carry 3.1 4.6 Pass Attempts 22 33 Completions 11 18 Passing Yards 112 134 Yards Per Attempt 5.0 4.0 Sacked 2 1 Yards Lost 17 6 Interceptions 2 1 Fumbles/Lost 2/1 1/0 Total Plays 62 61 Total Yards 214 254 Yards Per Play 3.4 4.1 3rd Down Plays 7/16 5/16 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.8 6.8 4th Down Plays 0/1 1/1 Penalties 2 7 Penalty Yards 15 35 Avg. Drive Start OWN 26 OWN 35 Time Of Possession 31:34 28:26 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 17 87 5.1 36 0 16 Sedor 6 36 6.0 11 0 47 Wunderlich 4 3 0.7 6 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 32 17 129 4.0 14 2 1 1 2 Ross 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 45 Copley 3 15 5.0 3 12 1 87 Hastings 3 31 10.3 2 14 0 47 Wunderlich 2 3 1.5 1 2 0 85 Jan 2 20 10.0 0 11 0 18 Ellis 2 25 12.5 2 14 0 8 Pearson 2 20 10.0 0 10 0 89 Renaud 1 8 8.0 2 8 0 42 Emerson 1 1 1.0 0 1 1 19 Everhart 1 5 5.0 0 5 0 13 Cooper 1 6 6.0 0 6 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 17 17.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 89 Renaud 1 20 20.0 0 18 Ellis 1 18 18.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 8 347 43.3 52 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 1 0 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 9 6 0.0 1 7 0 98 Hall 7 1 1.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 3 1 1.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 3 4 0.0 1 0 0 59 McKenzie 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 85 Jan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 89 Renaud 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 75 Burns 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 0 1 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 0 1 0 0 0 0 36 Carr 0 0 1 0 0 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 92 Ewart 0 1 0 0 0 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 Ellis 0 0 1 0 0 0

We hold a committed run-first team to 3.1 yard per carry, and we ought to win fairly easily. The defense certainly did its job this go-round – didn’t create big plays, but holding the other side to one field goal is going to win a lot of games by itself.

Any time I see a second QB in the box score, I hold my breath for Sedor – but he’s fine. The passing game this week was pretty anemic (4 yards per attempt is pretty bad) but we didn’t give this one away, and will take a win, once again.

The division and conference situation is taking real shape this deep into the season:

Code:
2011 Regular Season Standings NC North W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Calverton 7 4 0 .636 274 260 5-4 2-2 Seal Beach 6 5 0 .545 269 294 5-4 2-2 Norwich 6 5 0 .545 243 203 5-4 1-3 Ayr 5 6 0 .455 202 225 4-5 3-1 NC South W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Hell Creek 9 2 0 .818 306 140 8-1 4-0 Madison 5 6 0 .455 228 239 5-4 2-2 State College 4 7 0 .364 134 210 3-6 1-3 Washington 2 9 0 .182 170 253 2-7 1-3 NC East W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Chesapeake 10 1 0 .909 288 152 8-1 4-0 Portland 9 2 0 .818 293 168 7-2 3-1 Dodge City 5 6 0 .455 242 208 4-5 1-3 South Carolina 0 11 0 .000 76 331 0-9 0-4 NC West W L T Pct PF PA Conf Div Myrtle Beach 6 5 0 .545 199 192 6-3 4-0 Davis 6 5 0 .545 219 256 6-3 3-1 Wheeling 4 7 0 .364 182 216 2-7 1-3 Duluth 4 7 0 .364 191 204 2-7 0-4

So, from here it looks like Hell Creek, Portland, and Chesapeake are the likely bidders for the two bye week slots, with the loser of the Chesapeake/Portland division having to settle for seed #5 and a road opener. Past that, there’s a mix of teams battling for their divisions and a big mess for the wild card.

We have four out of five on the road from here on out, but the one home game is Portland. We obviously control our own destiny, but it would certainly be nice to keep stringing together a few more solid wins on the way to the playoffs. The next two weeks we visit 6-5 Seal Beach and 5-6 Cap City – getting two road wins against those two would put us in great position for the home stand against Portland.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #390
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 13: Chesapeake (10-1) at Seal Beach (6-5)

On the road against a winning team, this looks like a fairly tough spot. We will try to keep the ball in our possession, and get a good effort from the defense to get a road win here.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Seal Beach Seal Beach, CA. Week 13, 2011 Attendance: 63,700 (71,000). Weather: 80 degrees, fair. 1Q: 09:07 CHE - Brent Sedor 10 run. 1Q: 09:07 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 13:07 SLB - Christian Walton 20 pass from Mitch Ackerman. 2Q: 13:07 SLB - Jon Raymond extra point. 2Q: 07:49 CHE - Bill Wunderlich 38 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 07:49 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 12:34 CHE - Craps Copley 6 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 12:34 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 04:13 SLB - Mo Kemp 10 pass from Mitch Ackerman. 3Q: 04:13 SLB - Jon Raymond extra point. 4Q: 13:40 CHE - Craps Copley 2 run. 4Q: 13:40 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 10:28 CHE - Craps Copley 9 run. 4Q: 10:28 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 09:56 CHE - Lewis Kuehler 47 interception return. 4Q: 09:56 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 05:45 SLB - Jon Raymond 20 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 7 7 7 21 - 42 Seal Beach 0 7 7 3 - 17 Team Statistics CHE SLB First Downs 28 16 Total Rushes 43 20 Rushing Yards 168 69 Yards Per Carry 3.9 3.4 Pass Attempts 27 37 Completions 23 14 Passing Yards 311 195 Yards Per Attempt 11.5 5.2 Sacked 0 0 Yards Lost 0 0 Interceptions 0 2 Fumbles/Lost 3/1 0/0 Total Plays 70 57 Total Yards 479 264 Yards Per Play 6.8 4.6 3rd Down Plays 5/9 5/13 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.5 9.8 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 7 7 Penalty Yards 57 50 Avg. Drive Start OWN 31 OWN 29 Time Of Possession 34:46 25:14 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 29 95 3.2 19 2 47 Wunderlich 8 43 5.3 14 0 16 Sedor 5 28 5.6 11 1 80 Torpey 1 2 2.0 2 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 27 23 311 11.5 38 2 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 45 Copley 5 53 10.6 14 17 1 85 Jan 4 46 11.5 5 18 0 47 Wunderlich 3 58 19.3 4 38 1 87 Hastings 3 46 15.3 9 22 0 18 Ellis 3 34 11.3 6 14 0 13 Cooper 2 45 22.5 8 36 0 80 Torpey 1 16 16.0 1 16 0 89 Renaud 1 9 9.0 0 9 0 8 Pearson 1 4 4.0 2 4 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 19 9.5 0 34 Tellez 1 9 9.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 39 19.5 0 80 Torpey 1 21 21.0 0 18 Ellis 1 18 18.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 3 117 39.0 46 1 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 0 1 0 6 6 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 3 1 0.0 1 47 1 92 Ewart 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 1 0.0 1 8 0 78 Tubbs 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 77 Olivo 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 4 0 85 Jan 0 0 0 0 2 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 2 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 2 0 16 Sedor 0 0 2 0 0 0 45 Copley 1 0 0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 55 Lambeau 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0 0 0 0

Well, we got our good effort all around this week, and put together a very solid game all told. 168 yards rushing is very solid, and Craps Copley remains very productive for us in the first-and-ten back role on this team. The pass game was at peak efficiency – Sedor had a nearly immaculate game. The line played its best game ever, I suspect – we had a remarkable 15 key run blocks, and zero sacks (and only two hurries).

A little closer look at Sedor’s day suggests that he was basically on fire the whole afternoon:

Code:
Chesapeake Passing Breakdown Distance Pass Comp Yards Ave Screen 2 2 11 5.5 Short (0-8 Yds) 8 8 63 7.8 Medium (9-18 Yds) 14 10 141 10.0 Long (19+ Yds) 3 3 96 32.0 Passing Attempt Comp BdThrw Dropd Defnsd Blockd Hurried Intrcpt 16 Sedor 27 23 0 0 2 0 2 0

So, he drops back 27 times, and gets hardly any pressure. Twice he is hurried into a bad throw, and twice the defense comes up with a block to defense the pass. And that’s it. The other 23 passes end up safely in our guys’ arms for positive plays. Unreal day – maybe not a maxed-out passer rating (not enough TDs?) but still pretty much all you could possibly ask.

We have some pass-happy teams in the FOFL (shocking!) so he’s not in the top tier of the league leaders, but he’s up to a passer rating over 90 for the season, and probably past the threshold of being an asset to the team, rather than just a guy not making mistakes. For the year, he’s 20/9 in TD/Int ratio, and that’s good enough to win a lot of games. With this defense and O-line playing this well, even more so.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #391
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 14: Chesapeake (11-1) at Capital City (6-6)

This shapes up a bit as a trap game for us – big win last week, and next week we host the big rival in the division. This week, we’re on the road against an unfamiliar foe. We’ll try to maintain the consistent play we’ve been seeing, but I’m worried.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Capital City Capital City, MN. Week 14, 2011 Attendance: 62,300 (68,000). Weather: 31 degrees, snow. 1Q: 14:12 CAP - Les O'Grady 82 pass from Richie Herndon. 1Q: 14:12 CAP - Marvin Chung extra point. 1Q: 10:29 CHE - David Everhart 38 field goal. 1Q: 05:19 CHE - David Everhart 42 field goal. 2Q: 14:03 CAP - Peter Ashmore 4 pass from Richie Herndon. 2Q: 14:03 CAP - Marvin Chung extra point. 2Q: 03:31 CAP - William Nieves 8 pass from Richie Herndon. 2Q: 03:31 CAP - Marvin Chung extra point. 3Q: 10:15 CAP - William Nieves 15 pass from Richie Herndon. 3Q: 10:15 CAP - Marvin Chung extra point. 3Q: 06:54 CAP - Les O'Grady 75 pass from Richie Herndon. 3Q: 06:54 CAP - Marvin Chung extra point. 3Q: 03:38 CHE - Charles Emerson 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 03:38 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 00:31 CHE - Robert Cooper 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 00:31 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CAP 15 Richie Herndon Chesapeake 6 0 7 7 - 20 Capital City 7 14 14 0 - 35 Team Statistics CHE CAP First Downs 19 21 Total Rushes 17 28 Rushing Yards 64 52 Yards Per Carry 3.7 1.8 Pass Attempts 36 34 Completions 24 24 Passing Yards 365 405 Yards Per Attempt 10.1 11.9 Sacked 1 1 Yards Lost 7 6 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 54 63 Total Yards 422 451 Yards Per Play 7.8 7.1 3rd Down Plays 3/11 10/16 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.4 7.4 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 6 6 Penalty Yards 42 41 Avg. Drive Start OWN 26 OWN 35 Time Of Possession 27:09 32:51 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 9 31 3.4 10 0 47 Wunderlich 3 8 2.6 5 0 16 Sedor 3 25 8.3 11 0 42 Emerson 2 0 0.0 1 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 36 24 365 10.1 58 2 1 1 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 18 Ellis 6 113 18.8 7 58 0 85 Jan 4 76 19.0 3 35 0 8 Pearson 4 45 11.2 2 36 0 45 Copley 3 38 12.6 12 21 0 13 Cooper 3 41 13.6 5 27 1 87 Hastings 2 11 5.5 4 7 0 89 Renaud 1 40 40.0 0 40 0 42 Emerson 1 1 1.0 0 1 1 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 3 46 15.3 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 4 87 21.7 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 4 90 22.5 33 0 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 4 42 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 59 McKenzie 12 1 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 8 0 0.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 5 4 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 3 0 0.5 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 2 3 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 1 1 0.5 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 0 1 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0

(Honestly, that lead-in was written before the game results were posted)

Give up one hug play and fall behind early, abandon your bread and butter, and let the other guys move the ball at will. Sounds like a fine recipe for a road loss. Ugh.

Nothing to highlight there – we just played badly, especially on defense. And now we come into the biggest regular season matchup we’ve had in a while, which almost certainly has a bye week in the offing for the winner. We host 11-2 Portland, the two-time defending division champions, and the winner likely comes away with the #1 or #2 seed, while the loser is left to work through the wild card bracket from #5. If we’re thinking we might be good enough to win it all – getting a bye and a home opener is a huge, huge difference maker for us. Big, big game.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #392
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 15: Portland (11-2) at Chesapeake (11-2)

All right, the setup is complete. Huge game, basically the difference between a bye week to rest up and play at home, versus a road game opener in the wild card round. My guess is the loser here has his chances of getting to the title game cut by about 2/3.

We are sending out a pretty vanilla game plan for this week – the offense should be fairly balanced. We fully expect to see nicked-up QB Benjamin Fuller out there for Portland, of course.

Code:
Box Score: Portland at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Week 15, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 42 degrees, fair. 1Q: 13:49 POR - Isaac Mansour 70 pass from Benjamin Fuller. 1Q: 13:49 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 1Q: 00:56 CHE - David Everhart 27 field goal. 2Q: 14:28 CHE - Craps Copley 4 run. 2Q: 14:28 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 11:20 POR - Kelvin Matthews 5 pass from Benjamin Fuller. 2Q: 11:20 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 2Q: 07:00 CHE - David Everhart 23 field goal. 2Q: 04:04 POR - Thomas Henson 3 run. 2Q: 04:04 POR - Tyrus Foley extra point. 3Q: 06:09 CHE - Stacey Jan 1 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 06:09 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 13:13 CHE - Craps Copley 24 run. 4Q: 13:13 CHE - Brent Sedor pass to Stacey Jan for conversion 4Q: 07:42 POR - Tyrus Foley 48 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Portland 7 14 0 3 - 24 Chesapeake 3 10 7 8 - 28 Team Statistics POR CHE First Downs 20 21 Total Rushes 20 36 Rushing Yards 71 189 Yards Per Carry 3.5 5.2 Pass Attempts 30 37 Completions 18 16 Passing Yards 258 174 Yards Per Attempt 8.6 4.7 Sacked 3 0 Yards Lost 15 0 Interceptions 3 2 Fumbles/Lost 5/2 0/0 Total Plays 53 73 Total Yards 314 363 Yards Per Play 5.9 4.9 3rd Down Plays 6/10 9/16 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.5 7.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/0 Penalties 2 11 Penalty Yards 10 74 Avg. Drive Start OWN 28 OWN 36 Time Of Possession 25:47 34:13 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 23 119 5.1 24 2 16 Sedor 7 32 4.5 7 0 47 Wunderlich 4 14 3.5 5 0 42 Emerson 1 13 13.0 13 0 8 Pearson 1 11 11.0 11 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 37 16 174 4.7 24 1 2 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 18 Ellis 7 85 12.1 6 24 0 85 Jan 5 40 8.0 6 15 1 8 Pearson 2 29 14.5 3 17 0 47 Wunderlich 1 7 7.0 0 7 0 80 Torpey 1 13 13.0 2 13 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 4 101 25.2 0 18 Ellis 1 21 21.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 5 206 41.2 49 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 2 27 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 7 2 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 5 1 1.5 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 1 0.0 1 6 0 27 Kuehler 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 3 2 0.0 1 0 0 58 Galvan 2 2 1.0 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 1 1 0.5 0 0 0 31 Padgett 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 89 Renaud 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 42 Emerson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 54 Turnbull 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 19 Everhart 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 16 Sedor 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 0 1 0.0 1 14 0 71 Shah 0 1 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 5 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 96 Lents 0 2 1 0 0 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 2 0 47 Wunderlich 0 1 0 0 0 0 89 Renaud 0 1 0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 0 0 0 0 1 0 92 Ewart 0 1 0 0 0 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 0 34 Tellez 0 0 1 0 0 0

Well, it’s a somewhat disappointing tale of two halves here. We are thoroughly outplayed inn the first half, and Portland looks to be clearly the better team. But, just after halftime, they have to make a QB switch (and by “have to” I mean “weirdly decide to”) and they send in the much-lesser backup. The results couldn’t be more stark:

Code:
Portland Individual Statistics Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 17 Fuller 15 12 208 13.8 70 2 0 2 3 Werenka 15 6 50 3.3 12 0 3 1

Their 21-13 halftime lead crumbles behind the mistake-prone Werenka, and our offense comes alive to get the two touchdowns it needs to put this one into our column. Candidly, it’s a tough way to get a win – but this is a big, big win. Settling for the wild card this year would have been a major letdown after starting out 10-1… so we’ll gladly take the win any way we can do so.

Great game from Craps Copley, who carried more load than usual and topped 1,000 yards for the season (for the first time in his 10-year career), and from WR George Ellis, who is starting to become a favorite target for Sedor. Incidentally, looking a little more closely at Sedor (who had disappointing numbers on the day) here’s what we see as really happening:

Code:
Passing Attempt Comp BdThrw Dropd Defnsd Blockd Hurried Intrcpt 16 Sedor 37 16 1 1 9 1 7 2

So, the Portland defense was playing really well – they get two picks, they defense nine and bat down one, and they hurry him into seven bad throws. All told, that’s 20 passes that we can attribute bad results to the defense – leaving only one bad throw (presumanly a pick) and one receiver drop that we can blame on the air game here (other than the line, who yielded pressure).

We get out of the game with, basically, a clean bill of health, too. Two road games remain, and unless we lose both of them, we’re bound for a bye week. Our record is identical to that of Hell Creek, so I don’t know what the tiebreaker system would be. As things stand, our division would once again get both wild cards, with 8-6 Dodge City right back into the picture again.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #393
PineTar
High School JV

Note to self: Never ever set QB playing time below 5 again.

Portland was the better team for a half, but in truth the Chilli Dogs have been the better team this season, so we don't feel all that bad about settling for a wild card spot.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #394
QuikSand
lolzcat

Very gracious of you, but still a rough way to lose a big game.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #395
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 16: Chesapeake (12-2) at Mars (8-6)

We need to stay focused here, and play well against a team that has only recently slid out of the league’s very elite teams. Still a solid opponent, though, and we need to keep our act together here for certain. The #1 seed beckons.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at Mars Mars, FL. Week 16, 2011 Attendance: 76,100 (79,700). Weather: 87 degrees, rain. 1Q: 00:28 CHE - David Everhart 23 field goal. 2Q: 06:44 MAR - Seth Guido 5 pass from Randall Sosa. 2Q: 06:44 MAR - Freddie Savage extra point. 2Q: 01:12 CHE - David Everhart 30 field goal. 2Q: 00:24 MAR - Freddie Savage 48 field goal. 3Q: 08:45 CHE - Brent Sedor 5 run. 3Q: 08:45 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 04:53 CHE - Tyrone Hastings 29 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 04:53 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 09:52 CHE - Burt Pearson 23 pass from Brent Sedor. 4Q: 09:52 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 3 3 14 7 - 27 Mars 0 10 0 0 - 10 Team Statistics CHE MAR First Downs 21 19 Total Rushes 41 25 Rushing Yards 182 86 Yards Per Carry 4.4 3.4 Pass Attempts 26 33 Completions 15 18 Passing Yards 185 212 Yards Per Attempt 7.1 6.4 Sacked 0 4 Yards Lost 0 23 Interceptions 0 2 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 2/1 Total Plays 67 62 Total Yards 367 275 Yards Per Play 5.4 4.4 3rd Down Plays 8/15 5/12 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.3 10.0 4th Down Plays 0/0 1/2 Penalties 5 5 Penalty Yards 35 30 Avg. Drive Start OWN 34 OWN 22 Time Of Possession 34:50 25:10 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 26 94 3.6 20 0 16 Sedor 10 60 6.0 21 1 47 Wunderlich 3 20 6.6 12 0 42 Emerson 2 8 4.0 8 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 26 15 185 7.1 29 2 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 45 Copley 4 30 7.5 9 12 0 18 Ellis 3 37 12.3 8 16 0 8 Pearson 3 51 17.0 1 23 1 47 Wunderlich 1 12 12.0 2 12 0 85 Jan 1 9 9.0 2 9 0 80 Torpey 1 14 14.0 5 14 0 87 Hastings 1 29 29.0 0 29 1 42 Emerson 1 3 3.0 0 3 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 4 38 9.5 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 1 28 28.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 4 181 45.2 53 3 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 3 30 3 3 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 11 2 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 6 4 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 4 2 0.5 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 4 2 0.0 1 0 0 31 Padgett 4 1 0.0 1 2 0 21 McCartney 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 2 1 1.5 0 0 0 96 Lents 2 0 0.5 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 1 0 1.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Kleinsasser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 56 Kuykendall 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 23 Vesser 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 0 3 0.5 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 3 0 47 Wunderlich 0 1 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 2 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 2 0 18 Ellis 1 0 1 0 0 0 85 Jan 0 0 0 0 1 0 98 Hall 0 0 1 0 0 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 96 Lents 0 1 0 0 0 0

Well, we did run the ball quite a lot, and put together a pretty solid offensive day. Sedor continues to make the running game part of his arsenal, even when I’d candidly rather he didn’t do so. 60 yards this week is solid, and he has nearly 600 for the season.

So, we are now officially division champions, and we have a bye week locked up. We remain in an identical posture with Hell Creek (who by the numbers have been the best team in the league this year) in the standings, and since we play the tanking South Carolina team next week, we really have little motivation to do much there. I haven’t decided what sort of gameplan we’ll roll out, but we will be looking forward to our postseason shot this year, after sitting things out for three seasons in a row.

w00t! We’re in!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #396
QuikSand
lolzcat

Week 17: Chesapeake (13-2) at South Carolina (1-14)

Unceremonious wrap-up game, we’re prohibitive favorites on the road, and just hope to stay in game shape for the postseason.

Code:
Box Score: Chesapeake at South Carolina South Carolina, WA. Week 17, 2011 Attendance: 65,200 (80,100). Weather: 45 degrees, rain. 1Q: 12:08 CHE - George Ellis 9 pass from Brent Sedor. 1Q: 12:08 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 09:15 CHE - Brent Sedor 2 run. 1Q: 09:15 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 04:08 SCA - Stephen Sherman 5 pass from Luther Cullors. 1Q: 04:08 SCA - J.R. Gardner extra point. 2Q: 13:29 CHE - Burt Pearson 3 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 13:29 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 2Q: 06:59 SCA - J.R. Gardner 51 field goal. 2Q: 01:18 CHE - George Ellis 4 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 01:18 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 11:25 SCA - Stephen Sherman 3 run. 3Q: 11:25 SCA - Stephen Sherman run for conversion failed. 3Q: 04:44 CHE - Craps Copley 1 run. 3Q: 04:44 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 4Q: 12:39 CHE - David Everhart 19 field goal. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Chesapeake 14 14 7 3 - 38 South Carolina 7 3 6 0 - 16 Team Statistics CHE SCA First Downs 28 20 Total Rushes 36 15 Rushing Yards 114 42 Yards Per Carry 3.1 2.8 Pass Attempts 36 41 Completions 24 24 Passing Yards 283 329 Yards Per Attempt 7.8 8.0 Sacked 1 2 Yards Lost 6 15 Interceptions 0 2 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 0/0 Total Plays 73 58 Total Yards 391 356 Yards Per Play 5.3 6.1 3rd Down Plays 8/12 6/11 Avg. YTG on 3rd 7.3 10.3 4th Down Plays 0/0 0/1 Penalties 4 6 Penalty Yards 30 45 Avg. Drive Start OWN 37 OWN 19 Time Of Possession 35:26 24:34 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 22 65 2.9 11 1 47 Wunderlich 7 21 3.0 8 0 16 Sedor 6 29 4.8 8 1 2 Ross 1 -1 -1.0 -1 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 35 24 283 8.0 34 3 0 1 2 Ross 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 8 Pearson 5 71 14.2 27 34 1 85 Jan 4 39 9.7 4 16 0 18 Ellis 4 41 10.2 5 15 2 45 Copley 3 17 5.6 8 8 0 80 Torpey 2 41 20.5 4 24 0 42 Emerson 2 17 8.5 17 11 0 13 Cooper 2 35 17.5 4 18 0 47 Wunderlich 1 4 4.0 0 4 0 87 Hastings 1 18 18.0 1 18 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 1 16 16.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 2 56 28.0 0 89 Renaud 1 26 26.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 3 111 37.0 40 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 1 1 19 5 5 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 27 Kuehler 6 0 0.0 1 0 0 31 Padgett 6 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 5 0 0.0 1 13 0 98 Hall 4 0 1.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 2 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 3 2 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 92 Ewart 2 5 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 1 2 0.0 0 0 0 80 Torpey 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Watkins 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 36 Carr 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 40 Dunn 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 79 Tilton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 71 Shah 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 75 Burns 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 4 1 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 1 0 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 1 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 1 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 1 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 0

South Carolina throw all day on us, and do so fairly effectively – but we keep this one in hand anyway, and wrap up the season at 14-2. We have our bye week, and it’s too tough right now to determine whether we are the #1 or #2 seed, so we’ll just sit back and enjoy the week off.

Portland and Dodge City, from our division, make the wild card slots, and will play in the opening week. If we are the #1 seed, we likely see one of them afterwards, if they can advance.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #397
QuikSand
lolzcat

Season Ending Analysis

Here’s the season-end team summary page, to wrap up the main statistics for the year:

Code:
Front Office Football 2004 2011 Summary for Chesapeake Chili Dogs Record: 14-2 Winning Pct.: .875 Chesapeake Chili Dogs Team Rank Rushes 496 9 Rushing Yards 2236 4 Yards Per Carry 4.50 3 Pass Attempts 526 13 Completions 317 11 Passing Yards 3847 13 Yards Per Attempt 7.31 13 3rd Down Conversions 45.8 5 (T) Points Per Game 27.6 3 Turnovers 19 6 (T) Turnover Margin +21 1 Opponents Team Rank Rushes 390 2 Rushing Yards 1277 1 Yards Per Carry 3.27 1 Pass Attempts 529 21 Completions 289 10 Passing Yards 3622 16 Yards Per Attempt 6.84 13 3rd Down Conversions 42.1 18 (T) Points Per Game 15.8 4 Turnovers 40 1 Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 17 at DGC 13 2 57 ETT 9 3 16 WAS 10 5 27 MRB 20 6 24 at POR 21 7 20 DUL 23 8 38 at DVS 10 9 21 at WHE 12 10 23 SCA 3 11 31 DGC 28 12 14 AWN 3 13 42 at SLB 17 14 20 at CAP 35 15 28 POR 24 16 27 at MAR 10 17 38 at SCA 16 Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 16 Sedor QB 501 302 3650 7.28 28 12 **Team --- 526 317 3847 7.31 29 12 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 45 Copley RB 290 1235 4.25 12 16 Sedor QB 103 603 5.85 8 47 Wunderlich FB 78 280 3.58 0 **Team --- 496 2236 4.50 21 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 85 Jan TE 75 51 558 10.9 78 2 47 Wunderlich FB 59 44 348 7.9 129 3 18 Ellis WR 73 44 668 15.1 108 5 45 Copley RB 64 42 338 8.0 91 5 8 Pearson WR 70 38 549 14.4 71 2 87 Hastings WR 66 37 615 16.6 141 5 80 Torpey WR 59 25 399 15.9 50 2 **Team --- 525 317 3847 12.1 734 29 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn 92 Ewart OLB 86 42 0.0 1 5 10 59 McKenzie ILB 79 22 1.0 0 1 5 27 Kuehler CB 65 15 0.0 0 5 13 21 McCartney S 58 22 0.0 0 7 7 98 Hall DE 52 12 14.0 22 0 0 29 Schwantz S 52 25 0.0 0 2 13 31 Padgett CB 48 12 0.0 0 4 9 58 Galvan OLB 45 12 5.5 13 2 1 78 Tubbs DE 43 15 1.0 8 0 0 97 Gibbons ILB 34 12 1.0 0 1 3 96 Lents DT 34 11 8.5 7 0 0 36 Carr S 25 9 0.0 0 3 7 **Team --- 776 230 33.0 66 32 81

So, the nutshell on this team for the season is basically this: as our young QB continues to mature, we were very tough running the ball, and very tough against the run. While only pretty average both conducting and stopping the passing game, we were the #1 team in the league in causing turnovers, a big turnaround from last season, and a key element in our stepping into the elite of the league.

The offensive line was again a key to the offense, and this group is developing together very, very nicely. Here are their key stats:

Code:
Blocking Statistics Player Pos Team GP GS KRB KRO BPct SkA PPly SPct RPly OPct Turnbull, Winston C CHE 16 16 42 106 39.6 4 532 0.7 479 22.1 Schmit, Gus G CHE 16 16 23 71 32.3 2 535 0.3 486 14.6 Brandon, Marvin G CHE 16 16 21 60 35.0 6 532 1.1 477 12.5 Tilton, Stanley T CHE 16 14 18 45 40.0 7 485 1.4 420 10.7 Emerson, Charles FB CHE 16 9 10 30 33.3 1 308 0.3 316 9.4 Burns, Jerry T CHE 12 10 10 40 25.0 4 378 1.0 311 12.8 Jan, Stacey TE CHE 16 16 8 13 61.5 0 395 0.0 408 3.1 Wunderlich, Bill FB CHE 16 5 6 13 46.1 0 308 0.0 248 5.2 Kolodzik, Horace T CHE 8 8 6 22 27.2 0 228 0.0 250 8.8 Cooper, Robert TE CHE 16 2 3 7 42.8 0 126 0.0 159 4.4 Boyd, Lenny T CHE 6 0 2 2 100.0 0 12 0.0 14 14.2 Lambeau, Wendell C CHE 7 0 1 3 33.3 0 23 0.0 25 12.0 Blocking Statistics

Basically, the starting five have all become above-average performers, with C Winston Turnbull once again putting together an award-worthy season, but with four out of five starters well over 30% in completing key run blocks, and nobody really lagging in pass protection, either. RT Jerry Burns was the relative weak link, but a 25/1.0 season from a tackle isn’t even bad. So, this group helps explain, in large part, how RB Craps Copley managed to put together his first 1,000+ yard season in the FOFL.

The other group we have been trying to build up has been the secondary – here’s a closer look there:

Code:
Pass Coverage Statistics Player Pos Team GP GS Ints IRYd TD Defn Cght PPly PDPct Carr, Mark S CHE 16 2 3 14 0 7 13 276 21.3 Vesser, Brett S CHE 16 0 1 0 0 2 4 87 21.2 Tellez, Leland CB CHE 16 2 1 0 0 5 8 204 20.8 McCartney, Jeff S CHE 16 16 7 90 0 7 34 508 20.3 Schwantz, Doug S CHE 16 16 2 0 0 13 31 499 20.1 Dunn, Earnest S CHE 16 0 0 0 0 1 2 58 20.0 Kuehler, Lewis CB CHE 16 15 5 80 1 13 47 510 19.9 Padgett, Herman CB CHE 16 16 4 57 0 9 37 426 19.7

Venerable Mark Carr managed the top rating this year, disappointing, but kind of appropriate. Among the starters, it’s good to see safeties McCartney and Schwantz both step into productive efforts in the pass coverage, with McCartney becoming quite the playmaker. CBs Kuehler and Padgett were fine, but not great – Kuehler is the most talented guy of this lot, and hopefully will continue to lead the coverage schemes and see those passes defensed totals improve in time.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #398
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wild Card Update

In the wild card games, both Portland and Dodge City lose in their road openers, so we will face a division winner in our first playoff game. It turns out we draw Norwich, who have been among the league’s upper echelon of solid teams in the last several years. They are in the playoffs for the fourth straight season this year, and have the league championship only two seasons ago in their memories. Solid playoff opponent. Here’s their snapshot for the season:

Code:
2011 Summary for Norwich Quagmire Record: 11-6 Winning Pct.: .647 Norwich Quagmire Team Rank Rushes 509 5 Rushing Yards 2157 5 Yards Per Carry 4.23 4 Pass Attempts 509 20 Completions 297 21 Passing Yards 3649 18 Yards Per Attempt 7.16 15 (T) 3rd Down Conversions 42.2 13 Points Per Game 22.9 14 Turnovers 24 17 (T) Turnover Margin +5 9 Opponents Team Rank Rushes 428 8 Rushing Yards 1749 14 Yards Per Carry 4.08 19 Pass Attempts 522 16 Completions 280 6 Passing Yards 3564 14 Yards Per Attempt 6.82 11 3rd Down Conversions 42.5 22 (T) Points Per Game 18.3 10 (T) Turnovers 29 3 (T) Week Team Versus Oppnt 1 27 CAL 16 2 16 KEE 17 3 33 SCA 3 4 24 at MAD 21 6 13 AYR 17 7 3 STC 10 8 16 at WAS 10 9 41 HLC 33 10 24 at SLB 25 11 27 at CAL 34 12 19 at FLR 17 13 27 at WHE 10 14 13 NOR 10 15 28 at AYR 16 16 9 at FRE 13 17 47 SLB 41 $$WC 31 DGC 21 $$CS at CHE Passing Pos Att Comp Yards Y/Att TD Int 4 Fowler QB 345 207 2555 7.40 15 14 16 Chesley QB 89 51 703 7.89 9 4 1 Hobson QB 34 18 180 5.29 1 3 **Team --- 509 297 3649 7.16 25 21 Rushing Pos Att Yards Y/Att TD 35 Wilkins RB 278 1194 4.29 8 26 Chapman RB 149 617 4.14 4 37 Foreman FB 33 133 4.03 1 **Team --- 509 2157 4.23 14 Receiving Pos Targ Catch Yards Y/Ctc YAC TD 83 Cockfield WR 127 68 1064 15.6 226 8 84 Craig WR 106 50 772 15.4 88 2 35 Wilkins RB 59 49 399 8.1 171 4 89 Juedes TE 54 32 352 11.0 95 3 80 Orr WR 50 30 412 13.7 36 1 37 Foreman FB 26 16 72 4.5 46 3 **Team --- 508 297 3649 12.2 770 25 Defense Pos Tack Asst Sack Hurr Ints Defn 56 Chiang OLB 85 21 2.0 3 1 11 44 Branstetter S 64 27 0.0 0 1 5 98 Tsai ILB 62 37 0.0 1 1 6 90 Ulrich DE 59 18 6.0 19 0 0 27 Mayorga S 55 12 1.0 0 3 9 93 Abad DT 45 17 4.0 3 0 1 58 Aiello OLB 41 14 3.0 1 2 4 75 Vaughan DE 37 18 9.5 33 0 2 46 Green CB 36 16 0.0 1 0 4 30 Perkins S 33 11 0.0 0 1 4 24 Johnson CB 33 10 2.0 0 2 4 39 Tartt S 25 12 0.0 0 3 2 28 Gonzalez CB 25 9 0.0 1 1 8 74 Seaton DT 24 11 6.0 9 0 0 43 Barckert CB 23 5 0.0 0 0 7 91 Dimry ILB 21 3 0.0 0 0 0 96 McCarthy OLB 18 6 1.0 0 0 0 **Team --- 800 270 37.0 76 17 73

QB Jeremy Fowler is a league legend, leading his teams to four title games in eight seasons – and he’s almost certainly in his final season. We expect to see a lot of Skip Wilkins – another decent rusher who seems to benefit from a good system, like our own Craps Copley, but he does get a good deal of underneath work in the passing game as well. WR Horace Cockfield leads a solid receiving corps, as this offense is capable of balance.

I think our main hope is probably that our inside running game will be effective – Norwich yielded over 4 yards a carry on the season, and we should put their front to the test. If we can exceed that mark, that gives us a strong foundation for the game. Also, it looks like this team can be pushed into making mistakes – so we will try to cause turnovers and make big plays as well. Nothing out of the ordinary here – this is a solid, balanced team, and we won’t need to gadget-up our game plan to take them on, I don’t think.

#1 seed Hell Creek (conference champs in four of the last five seasons) are playing host to 8-8 division champion Myrtle Beach, so there’s a pretty solid chance that the winner of our game heads to Hell Creek for the final showdown. We are made four point favorite this week (seems a little short to me, but they have more playoff experience than we do, and come off a sound win over Dodge City last week) and will hope to play to form and earn our shot at the big game.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #399
QuikSand
lolzcat

Divisional Playoff: Norwich at Chesapeake

Enough said in the build-up – here’s the essential box score:

Code:
Box Score: Norwich at Chesapeake Chesapeake, PA. Conference Semifinals, 2011 Attendance: 58,100 (65,700). Weather: 37 degrees, fair. 1Q: 09:38 NRW - Grady Winslett 33 field goal. 1Q: 04:50 CHE - Craps Copley 12 run. 1Q: 04:50 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 1Q: 00:15 NRW - Grady Winslett 26 field goal. 2Q: 12:30 CHE - David Everhart 19 field goal. 2Q: 02:12 CHE - Tyrone Hastings 8 pass from Brent Sedor. 2Q: 02:12 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 13:19 NRW - Grady Winslett 18 field goal. 3Q: 08:41 CHE - Burt Pearson 28 pass from Brent Sedor. 3Q: 08:41 CHE - David Everhart extra point. 3Q: 02:46 CHE - David Everhart 25 field goal. 4Q: 13:59 NRW - Nicky Juedes 11 pass from Jeremy Fowler. 4Q: 13:59 NRW - Skip Wilkins run for conversion. 4Q: 08:59 CHE - Craps Copley 1 run. 4Q: 08:59 CHE - David Everhart extra point. Game MVP: CHE 16 Brent Sedor Norwich 6 0 3 8 - 17 Chesapeake 7 10 10 7 - 34 Team Statistics NRW CHE First Downs 10 26 Total Rushes 24 38 Rushing Yards 73 184 Yards Per Carry 3.0 4.8 Pass Attempts 25 29 Completions 12 22 Passing Yards 150 304 Yards Per Attempt 6.0 10.4 Sacked 2 0 Yards Lost 13 0 Interceptions 0 1 Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/1 Total Plays 51 67 Total Yards 210 488 Yards Per Play 4.1 7.2 3rd Down Plays 3/13 6/10 Avg. YTG on 3rd 5.8 5.5 4th Down Plays 0/1 0/0 Penalties 2 6 Penalty Yards 10 55 Avg. Drive Start OWN 32 OWN 35 Time Of Possession 24:46 35:14 Chesapeake Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 45 Copley 28 128 4.5 12 2 16 Sedor 6 49 8.1 16 0 47 Wunderlich 2 8 4.0 7 0 42 Emerson 2 -1 -0.5 0 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 16 Sedor 29 22 304 10.4 36 2 1 0 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 8 Pearson 6 114 19.0 33 28 1 45 Copley 4 39 9.7 3 20 0 42 Emerson 4 22 5.5 8 7 0 47 Wunderlich 2 16 8.0 2 9 0 87 Hastings 2 43 21.5 2 35 1 18 Ellis 2 27 13.5 4 18 0 85 Jan 1 36 36.0 12 36 0 13 Cooper 1 7 7.0 1 7 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 18 Ellis 2 20 10.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 27 Kuehler 3 84 28.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 15 Johnstone 2 82 41.0 42 0 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 19 Everhart 2 2 25 4 4 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 92 Ewart 8 1 0.0 0 0 0 59 McKenzie 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 29 Schwantz 4 1 0.0 0 0 0 97 Gibbons 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 31 Padgett 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 21 McCartney 2 4 0.0 0 0 0 98 Hall 2 2 0.0 0 0 0 27 Kuehler 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 96 Lents 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 57 Dennis 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 8 Pearson 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 78 Tubbs 1 4 1.0 0 0 0 93 Bradham 1 0 0.5 0 0 0 47 Wunderlich 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 89 Renaud 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 58 Galvan 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 34 Tellez 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Kleinsasser 0 1 0.5 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 73 Kolodzik 0 0 0 0 5 0 42 Emerson 0 0 0 0 3 0 66 Schmit 0 0 0 0 3 0 54 Turnbull 0 0 0 0 3 0 60 Brandon 0 0 0 0 2 0 47 Wunderlich 0 0 0 0 1 0 13 Cooper 0 0 0 0 1 0 75 Burns 0 0 0 0 1 0 18 Ellis 1 0 0 0 0 0

We get exactly what we wanted here – we made our first half opportunities count and put up 17 points, we basically held their running game in check all day, and we controlled the clock and the line of scrimmage. Textbook Chili Dog win – losing the turnover battle 2-0 was the only downside, but we overcame that with the ground game edge, I think.

Elsewhere, Hell Creek crushed Myrtle Beach 34-7 to move on and host the conference championship game. Hudson Valley, the league’s defending champions, will host Mars (who have won twice themselves) in the other matchup. Of the four remaining teams this year, we will collectively account for 5 of 9 of the league titles after this season, and 11 of the 18 slots in the title game.

Our injury list looks okay – TE Stacey Jan has a toe injury, but will play, and he’s the only active player on our injured list. We will hope to give Hell Creek our best effort, and we’re getting some respect at the betting windows, with only a 2 point spread at their place.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #400
TonyR
High School Varsity

I'm still reading along. Great season btw. Congratz on the playoff win. Glad to see all the moves paying off.