17 March 2013

East Stirlingshire 2-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
GK: MacDonald
D: Duncan, Bell, Campbell, Chisholm
M: McLeish, Bowles, McLeod, O'Neill
ST: Murray, Gordon

Goal: Gordon (90+1)

When I looked at East Stirlingshire's team report, I thought to myself that they looked awfully tough for a 12th place side. They did nothing today to convince me that my initial impression was incorrect. They controlled the game from whistle to whistle, keeping the ball away from us and patiently waiting to exploit any advantage they saw.

Paul Duncan is like the little girl with the curl; when he's bad, he's horrid. He was bad today. So was Stevie Murray, whose 5.5 match rating was the second worst he's had in 20 matches--and the worse one came in the disaster against Celtic.

Craig Gordon's goal was only a small consolation.

The result left us in eighth place, one point better than Peterhead, the bottom club in the group that is competing for a playoff berth. Speaking of playoffs, Rangers clinched their berth this week, but since they're 18 points clear of the second top club, I think they're a safe bet for the top spot, don't you?

The Kids are Alright: Our youth trialists arrived this week, and there are a few who look like definite keepers.

The most exciting of the group is Shane Bennett, a 15-year-old right back whom Andy Robertson says is already good enough to be a star in our league, with Scottish Premier League stardom in his future. Eight of his mental attributes are already in double figures, which is exceptional for a veteran player at this level--much less a kid who is too young for a driver's license. He's not an exceptional athlete; he's actually on the slow side. It looks like he's a hell of a footballer, though.

Among the others with particularly big upsides are goalkeeper Kevin Tiffoney, left winger Paul Aitken, center back Dave Reynolds, and striker Allan Gunn. All of these young men, along with a dozen or so others, have been signed to youth contracts.

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #52
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

30 March 2013

Vale of Leithen 3-2 Strathspey Thistle

GK: Christie
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Mackintosh, Chisholm
M: Brady, McLeod, Noble, O'Neill

Goals: Murray (5, 23)

I could try to explain this one away in all kinds of ways.
  • The weather was terrible, with a downpour making the pitch a soggy mess.
  • Stevie Bell strained his groin in training, and he wasn't able to play; in fact, he'll probably be out for another three weeks.
  • Christian Bowles was serving a one-game ban for picking up his second yellow card.
  • Their second goal was a fluke, an attempt at a cross that hit the bar and bounced past Christie's hand.

No, that's not working very well. Vale of Leithen beat us, plain and simple. They have been playing better lately; they beat Clachnacuddin 3-0 three weeks ago. They're not the side we hung seven goals on last fall.

I'm thinking about making a change in my backroom staff. If there's a better assistant manager available, I might see if I can bring him in. Stevie Smith, who's currently on the job, isn't contributing much.

Next up are Rangers, so I don't see the losing streak ending next weekend.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #53
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

6 April 2013

Strathspey Thistle 0-4 Rangers
Attendance: 1500

4-1-3-2
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Chisholm, Shane Bennett
DM: Jess
M: McLeish, Bowles, O'Neill

A sellout crowd at Seafield Park

It was hard to imagine anything else happening today, so I'll focus on some of the positives.

With Stevie Bell still recovering from his injury, I decided to let Shane Bennett make his first team debut. He handled himself just fine, with a 6.4 rating that was the second best on our back line.

Craig Gordon was our best player, with a 6.7. He and Calum O'Neill both hit the woodwork in the last 10 minutes of the match; if those shots had gone in, we're looking at a very respectable scoreline.

Nobody was booked, so we'll be playing at full strength next week, at least as far as suspensions go.

A sellout crowd of 1,500 packed Seafield Park, and it looked like about half of them were Rangers supporters. That means about 750 came out to root us on, which would still be our largest crowd of the season.

Those aren't huge positives, but they're better than none at all.

With their victory, Rangers clinched the SPFL championship, so they will play in the Premier League 2 next season. Our loss drops us to ninth place, three points behind Montrose and six clear of Annan. The teams in second through eighth places are separated by a total of six points, so the battle for the playoffs will be a very exciting one.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #54
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 April 2013

The overhaul of the Strathspey Thistle backroom staff was completed this week. I was planning to replace my assistant manager, but when I saw three unemployed staff members who were (1) considerably better than the ones I had and (2) willing to talk about a position with Strathspey Thistle, I decided to find a way to bring them all on board.

I sacked assistant manager Stevie Smith, who was taking £800 a month and giving banal in-match feedback and occasional, incomprehensible team talks in return. Likewise with coach Steven Cummings, who isn't as talented as most of the guys out there looking for work.

My new assistant is Michael Dempster, 32, who holds a Continental B license and prefers attacking, free-flowing football. He's very good at coaching both the attacking and defending phases of the game, and his determination and discipline are both upgrades from his predecessor. He's signed through June 2015 for £600/month.

Cumming's replacement is Billy McConnell, 35, who was capped 38 times by Northern Ireland. He is an especially good tactician for our level, and his adaptability and determination are excellent. McConnell is a "model professional," and he'll be on staff for the next two seasons at £275/month.

I decided to add an Under 19s Manager, and gave the job to Stuart Forbes, 31. To be honest, he's the best coach and teacher on our staff--12 Attacking, 15 Defending, 12 Fitness, 11 Man Management, 13 Mental, 19 Working with Youngsters, 13 Determination, 16 Discipline, 11 Motivation. If Forbes can't get the best out of our young players, I don't know who will. Forbes holds a Continental B license, too, and he's signed for £425/month through 2016.

They join coach Andy Robertson to comprise our new--and hopefully improved--backroom staff.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #55
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

20 April 2013

Strathspey Thistle 1-0 Montrose

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Chisholm, Campbell, Bennett
M: Brady, Noble, McLeod, O'Neill

Goal: Gordon (82)

This was much, much more like it. I called a team meeting at the beginning of the week, and the players reacted well. Against a side that's roughly our equal, we played very well defensively and got a timely goal from Craig Gordon.

Montrose's defenders were clearly not going to let Stevie Murray beat them, and on Craig's goal, two of them closed down on Stevie when he got the ball at the edge of the area. That enabled Craig to find some space, and when Stevie pushed the ball over to him, Craig was alone against their keeper. Put it on the scoreboard.

The crossbar denied Declan McGowan's attempt at an equalizer on 88', causing us all to breathe a big, big sigh of relief.

Now we're even with Montrose on points, but trail them on goal differential, so we're still sitting ninth. Our remaining fixtures are with the clubs placed 11th, 5th, 3rd, and 10th.

Naughty list: Calum O'Neill will be sitting out the match away to Queen's Park.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #56
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

27 April 2013

Queen's Park 0-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
GK: MacDonald
D: Kennedy, Bell, Campbell, Chisholm
M: McLeish, McLeod, Thomson, McCluskey
ST: Murray, Dickson

Goal: Murray (31)

Stevie Murray rifled in a free kick from 31 yards out to earn us another three points at an almost-empty Hampden Park in Glasgow. It's a huge stadium, and it looks weird with only 408 people in the stands!

Andy Chisholm bossed the game from his right back position, earning a Man of the Match award and an 8.3 rating. With Queen's Park threatening in the closing minutes, Andy headed away a dangerous cross that, had it reached its target, would have almost certainly resulted in a goal.

Ian MacDonald had an excellent day between the posts, recording his second clean sheet in six league appearances.

After this week's results, the relegation spots have been decided, and it will be Vale of Leithen, Edinburgh City, and Mid Annandale going down to League 2 for next season.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-15-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #57
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 May 2013

Today, chairman Don Williamson announced that Strathspey Thistle F.C. has signed me to a three-year contract extension. I'm receiving a big raise--from £1000/month to £3000/month.

I'd briefly considered testing the market, wondering if a bigger club might show interest, but I feel like I definitely have some unfinished business here at Strathie. I'm putting together a talented young side that ought to get better, and I'm flattered by the board's show of confidence in me.

Here's the High Street of Grantown-on-Spey, which is starting to feel a lot like home.

A view of the stand at Seafield Park. Photo by steveb.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #58
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 May 2013

Congratulations to Celtic, who defeated Kilmarnock 3-0 to win the Scottish League Cup.

Peterhead were the biggest surprise in the tournament. They did the SFPL proud by advancing all the way to the semifinal.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #59
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

11 May 2013

Strathspey Thistle 2-1 Peterhead

4-4-2
D: Duncan, Campbell, Chisholm, Kennedy
M: Brady, McLeod, Bowles, O'Neill

Goals: Gordon (12), McLeod (34)

This was one of the best, most entertaining matches we've played all season. Both teams generated some exciting chances, and we did a much better job of controlling the ball, moving it around without losing possession and waiting for a chance to attack.

It was great to see Chris McLeod get his first goal in a Strathie shirt. Christian Bowles set him up perfectly, and he ripped a drive from 22 yards just inside the left post.

David Ramsay, who has scored over 100 goals for Peterhead, pulled one back before the half, and he nearly equalized with five minutes in regular time when his header drifted just wide of Chris Christie's right post.

Peterhead came in to the match fourth in the table, so this was a big win for us. Now we are tied with them on points (57), but they edge us out for sixth (and the promotion playoff spots) on goal differential.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #60
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 May 2013

Another cup has been awarded. To almost nobody's surprise, Rangers defeated Linlithgow Rose, 2-0, to win the Scottish Football League Cup. They have already won promotion to Premier League 2 for next season, setting SFPL records for points earned and goals scored.

Elgin City have qualified for the promotion playoffs, and they're close to sewing up the second automatic promotion place.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #61
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

18 May 2013

Strathspey Thistle 1-0 Berwick

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Bell, Chisholm
M: McLeish, McLeod, Thomson, O'Neill

Goal: Murray (16)

Our late-season reversal of form continues, as we made it four straight victories with a narrow 1-0 decision over Berwick, a solid candidate for promotion.

New assistant manager Michael Dempster appears to have a much better knack for match preparation than his predecessor. He varies his approach depending on the opponent, and in preparation for Berwick, the squad worked on attacking movement. It showed on the pitch, as our pass completion percentage was higher (79%) for the second straight match, and we outshot our opponent--something we've almost never seemed to do.

At the same time, we're tightening things up in the back, too. Berwick are the fourth-highest scoring club in the league, so it's quite a feat to maintain a clean sheet against them. Peterhead are even more prolific, and last week we held them to one goal.

We held our place in the table, forecast to miss out on the playoff by a margin of 20 goals to Peterhead. We have to win our final match, away to Annan, in order to keep our playoff hopes alive.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #62
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

19 May 2013

Hibernian are lifting the Scottish Cup for the first time since 1902, on the strength of a 2-0 victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle. You might remember that Inverness sent us out of the competition in the Fifth Round, so to see them advance to the Final makes me feel a little better.

With their victory, Hibs are eligible to compete for the EURO Cup, beginning this summer.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-16-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #63
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

25 May 2013

Annan 2-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Duncan, Bell, Campbell, Chisholm
M: Brady, Nobles, Bowles, O'Neill

Goal: Murray (73)

For fourteen minutes, it looked like events on several football pitches around Scotland had come together to put Strathie in the playoffs. Stevie Murray's goal had drawn us even with Annan and pushed us into sixth place in the SFPL.

Then, a strike from Annan's talented young forward, Kevin McDonald, put his side back in front, and that returned us to seventh, where we began the match.

And, with that, our 2012-2013 season came to a close.

The Strathie side we've seen since mid-April would be playoff-worthy, but our body of work over the entire season gives me the impression we're right where we belong. Good enough to dream; good enough that, with some better managing on my part, the playoffs are a reasonable goal for next season.

The board won't be disappointed with the fact that we're banking £750,000 for our finish in the league. Not bad for a club that was expected to fight hard to avoid relegation.

Here's the league table as the playoffs approach:

You read that right; Rangers have a +90 goal differential. They scored 104 and conceded 14 in league play. Their single SPFL loss came on 1 December, 2-3 away to Peterhead.

We scored 57 (tied for ninth in the league) and conceded 52 (tied for seventh).
Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #64
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

4 June 2013

Peterhead and Berwick are through to the finals of the SFPL Promotion Playoff. Peterhead defeated Clyde, 3-2 on aggregate, while Berwick eliminated Sterling, 2-0 on aggregate.

Both results could be considered upsets, as Berwick and Peterhead were fifth and sixth in the table, respectively, and they knocked off the fourth and third place clubs.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #65
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

11 June 2013

Peterhead will be joining Rangers and Elgin City in the Scottish Premier League Two next season, as the Blue Toon defeated Berwick, 6-3 on aggregate, in the Promotion Playoff Final.

Moving down to join us in the SPFL will be Brechin, Albion Rovers, and Stranraer.

Three clubs have earned promotion from the SFL First Division for next year: league champion Cove Rangers, runner-up Formartine United, and playoff winner Stirling University FC.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #66
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

26 June 2013

Here is Strathspey Thistle's Best XI for 2012-2013:

Those of you who have been following won't see too many surprises here. Replacing Jamie Bannon with Andy Chisholm was a definite upgrade.

The most influential player who doesn't appear on this list would be Chris McLeod, the versatile midfielder who ended up starting almost every match because one of our regulars was injured or on a yellow card suspension.

Looking at the stats a little closer, I saw some interesting things:
Gordon led the team in assists, with 11. Murray was second with 9.
Bell was an atrocious passer, completing only 56% of his passes. He led the team in interceptions, however.
Campbell led the team in total headers and key headers.

Not surprisingly, the fans named Stevie Murray their Player of the Year. He's earned Favoured Personnel status, too.

And, finally, I was named SFPL Manager of the Year.

In a few days, we'll officially close the books on 2012-2013, and the new season will begin. I'll introduce you to several players we've brought in already, and we'll say goodbye to a few who will be bidding farewell to Seafield Park...including a couple I hate to see get away.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #67
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 July 2013

The board believes we can earn a spot in the playoffs this year. I think that's a reasonable expectation, considering we missed the playoffs by a single point last season. With those expectations comes a much, much more generous budget. The board will allow me to pay almost twice as much in salaries, and we have a transfer budget of £144,000 this year--after having no money for transfers last season at all! More later on the challenge I'll face, as I get used to the new financial realities around Seafield Park.

Departures: Several players from last year's squad are gone, either by my choice or by theirs, more or less. The ones you'd remember generally fall into the latter categories. Craig Gardner is probably the best player I didn't offer a new contract.

Chris McLeod is the player I really wanted to keep, but he wouldn't even discuss a contract. I wouldn't meet Ronnie Thomson's price--I didn't think £750/month was reasonable for a player who's 32 and whose place would have been challenged by two newly arriving midfielders.

Jamie Bannon wouldn't negotiate with us, either. He never really got going last year, and he had lost his starting spot(s) to Andy Chisholm and Matt Kennedy. We loaned him out to a lower level club--on HIS request-- and he played poorly there, too.

Arrivals: I could negotiate a little tougher with Thomson because I knew I had Steven Noble on his way to Seafield Park. With Brora, Noble earned a place on the SFL First Division team of the year, with a 7.32 rating. He is much more defensively adept than Thomson, but he also managed to score 5 goals and record 11 assists. He's not young--he's 33--but he should be among our best players. He'll earn £900/month, which makes him our highest earner.

Mark Black will also substantially improve our midfield corps. He is a box-to-box midfielder who featured regularly for Whitehill Welfare (SFL First Division) after signing there in January. We signed him for £350/month, and our staff believe he's ready for a first team role at age 21.

It is not true that Adam Wright turned out for the Scotland-England international in 1872. He didn't join the "Wembley Wizards" for their famous 1928 match, and he didn't ever play against Stanley Matthews or Bobby Charlton. Adam is a mere lad of 46, and I know I'm taking a chance giving a man his age £600/month. However, like Sir Stanley, he's still in excellent condition, and he made 26 productive appearances for Pollok (SFL Second Division) last season. He'll be a semi-regular, and he'll undoubtedly provide guidance to our young players.

To bolster the back line, we added Charlie Laird, 23, from Stirling Uni and Ian Roberts, 30, from Montrose. Laird was everpresent last year, making 38 appearances with a 7.17 rating. He's primarily a center back. Roberts can play almost anywhere, but he's most comfortable at left back. He'll challenge Matt Kennedy there.

I'm sensing there might be more changes yet to come. I signed up many of last year's core players back in the winter, thinking I'd be working with a 2013-14 budget that was a lot like 2012-13's. Now, I have a lot more money, and I'm wondering if I should shop for some better talent. Being able to browse beyond the "free transfer" rack is an inviting prospect.

One scenario involves bringing in higher-priced talent everywhere I don't have a first-rate starter, and offering to transfer out some of the £400/month, three-star lads who might go on to stardom at a lower level.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #68
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 July 2013

The players have returned, and have begun their preseason training. They've also greeted two new teammates.

Even though the central midfield is one of the stronger areas of the squad, I made a £14,000 offer to Brechin for Colin Brown, who was also on the radar at several of the other clubs in our league. They accepted, and we negotiated a deal with Colin that will pay him £1,200/month.

He is a technically proficient player, good on the ball, a slick passer and a sure finisher. We will slot him in beside Steven Noble when we play with two central midfielders, and his presence makes the idea of using a formation with three men in the middle more attractive.

The other newcomer was signed for his upside. Tim Francis, a 20-year-old left back/center back, was looking for a club after spending last year with Kilwinning Rangers, a small club in his home town. Our backroom staff agrees that he has the potential to play at the higher levels of Scottish football, and assistant manager Michael Dempster projects Premier League stardom and Scotland caps in his future.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-18-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #69
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 July 2013

Over the past two weeks, we've sold two players and brought in two, and we've played two friendlies with mixed results.

Paul Duncan might have seen the writing on the wall when we brought in Tim Francis, and Paul wasn't happy with the prospects of being a super-sub who could step in anywhere we needed a defensive presence. The supporters were on his case, too, which might have contributed to his desire for a transfer.

I was flabbergasted when I saw that Inverclyde, a club nine levels lower than we are, signed Duncan for £2,000/month! They're a professional club with a salary budget befitting their status, and Paul's salary is middle-of-the-pack money for them. He was making £300/month with us.

Mark Brown became the odd man out in the crowded midfield situation, and he was released on a free to Lossiemouth. He got the possibility of more playing time, and a £75/month a raise from the £200 he was pulling from us.

I paid £6,000 to Stranraer for left wing Scott Courts, a 29-year-old veteran who will challenge Stephen Brady; if he doesn't start, he'll give us cover across the midfield and at forward. He's particularly talented at long throws, so if he's on the pitch, he'll take that responsibility. Scott signed a two-year contract for £550/month.

With the future in mind, I signed an 18-year-old M(C)/AM(C), Charlie Clark, from Forres Mechanics. He featured five times there last year and contributed two assists. We don't need him to do anything right now but get better, and begin to stretch toward the high ceiling we think he's capable of reaching.

Friendlies: We lost a shootout home to Elgin City, 3-5, and won 2-0 away to Fraserburgh United.

Against Elgin City, Sean Dickson scored twice, but his efforts were more than undone by a four-goal tour de force from Robert Henderson, who put in 25 last season. I'm not sorry we won't be seeing Elgin City in the SFL Premier this season. Youth striker Graham Law got our other goal.

Our defense was unexplainably bad in that match; we allowed them eight shots on goal and five clear chances.

The Fraserburgh United contest went much better. Dickson found the net again, and so did young fullback Robert Muirhead, who banged in a header off a corner kick. Willie Campbell and Andy Chisholm bounced back from their frightful performances in the first match.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-18-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #70
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

27 July 2013

My assistant manager, Michael Dempster, didn't think there would be much reason to look over the players who attended Scotland Trial Day on 18 July. Most of them aspire to clubs a lot more prestigious than we are. I didn't attend the match, but I did look at the rosters, and had our scouts check a few of them out.

All but one of them turned up his nose at the idea of playing for us; a day later, one young striker signed for Hearts. However, a right winger called Garry McGowan actually listened to our offer, and today he became part of Strathspey Thistle F.C.

A lad of 17, Garry is already one of the most talented players in our side. He's a good deal faster than Calum O'Neill, who was our gold standard for pace and acceleration. His finishing ability rivals that of Stevie Murray. Craig Gordon is the only man in the club with more skill on the dribble.

McGowan is ours for the next two seasons, at £1,000/month. By then, I'm guessing the lure of the big stadiums and bright lights of more prestigious clubs will call to him loudly, but for now, it will be fun to see how good he might become. Who says we can't have nice things, at least for awhile?

He made his debut today, away to Hall Russell United, where we won, 2-1 on goals by Stevie Murray and Sean Dickson--who is making it very difficult for me to find a reason why he shouldn't start beside Murray when league play begins. Youth goalkeeper Kevin Tiffoney kept a clean sheet for the 56 minutes he spent between the posts.

We drew Whitletts Victoria in the first round of the Scottish Football League Cup, which forces our SFL Premier opener up to 7 August at Fraserburgh.

Before then, however, our supporters will be treated to a friendly against Manchester City Reserves at Seafield Park on the 3rd. I hope we fill the stadium that night.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #71
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

3 August 2013

Strathspey Thistle 1-2 Manchester City Reserves
Attendance: 1,422

4-4-2
D: Roberts, Bell, Kennedy, Chisholm
M: Brady, S. Noble, Wright, O'Neill

Goal: Murray (7)

How on earth the supporters could be "somewhat concerned" after this match is beyond me. Did they not see who that was on the pitch with us? Man City's reserves included players with full Northern Ireland and Romania caps to their credit and Germany and England youth internationals. In other words, it was a hell of a side.

They scored the winner in stoppage time, so for over 90 minutes, we played them to a draw. I'll take that anytime.

Scott Courts missed the match with a hamstring pull, which will keep him out for about three more weeks. Mark Black has a similar injury, but a little bit worse; he might be sidelined for about a month.

Steven Noble will be Strathspey Thistle's captain this season, with Chris Christie serving as vice captain.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #72
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

7 August 2013

Fraserburgh 2-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
GK: Chris Christie
D: Ian Roberts, Willie Campbell, Charlie Laird, Andy Chisholm
M: Stephen Brady, Steven Noble, Colin Brown, Garry McGowan
ST: Stevie Murray, Craig Gordon

Goal: Murray (2)

I was furious after the match, but not at my players.

Murray's goal got the season off to a great start. Noble set it up with one of the best passes I've seen from a Strathie player, and all Stevie had to do was push it into the goal.

We had to take Christie out at 13 minutes, and Ian MacDonald came in and played well. Fraserburgh's first goal was a strong one, and the second one as the result of a cheap penalty called on Ian Roberts.

I voiced my displeasure in the post-match presser, and I heard from the FA about it. I don't care. The call was bad, and I wanted my players to know I have their back.

Christie will be fine, but Chisholm won't. He strained his groin late in the match, and he'll be out three weeks or so. Tim Francis, who got dinged up in training, didn't play tonight, and four other players--Scott Courts, Mark Brown, Zander McLeish, and Stevie Bell--are all injured to a greater or lesser extent. Bell might be ready for our Cup match in a few days.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #73
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 August 2013
Scottish Football League Cup, First Round

Whitletts Victoria 1-4 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Matt Kennedy, Stevie Bell, Laird, Shane Bennett
M: Calum Noble, S. Noble, Adam Wright, Calum O'Neill
ST: Murray, Sean Dickson

Goals: Dickson (3, 9), Murray (11, 50)

Whitletts Vics are in the Fifth Division, so we ought to be able to take care of them the way Rangers and the Premier League bigshots take care of us. We were ahead 3-0 after 11 minutes, and cruised home from there.

We were able to field a good side--better than we'll often be able to put on the pitch for a Cup tie. We don't have to play again for another week.

Somehow, we didn't win the possession battle; they had the ball just over half the time. I can't seem to get our guys to keep the bloody thing. They outshot us, too, because they were firing away from the parking lot after they fell behind. We conceded late, when their striker strolled between our center backs and fired from inside the six-yard box.

Tim Francis was fit enough to play 20 minutes for us, and we featured a midfielder (Adam Wright) who is 30 years older than our right back.

We're expected to reach the semi-final of this tournament, so we still have a long way to go.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #74
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

11 August 2013

All three of our cup draws took place today, and here are the clubs we'll face:

Scottish Cup, 2nd Round: home to Forfar, 7 September
Scottish Football League Cup, 2nd Round: away to Nairn County, 18 September
Scottish League Cup, 2nd Round: away to Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 21 September

The League Cup draw is a tough one. The board expects us to reach the Second Round, but that's gonna require an upset--especially since the tie takes place three days after another cup match and four days before a league contest.

We'll play eight matches between 31 August and 28 September, which will put our depth to a rigorous test.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-19-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #75
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

14 August 2013

I just received a transfer offer for Tim Francis from Aberdeen FC. Yes, that Aberdeen, the club that was relegated last season from the Premier League. They offered us £24,000 over 30 months, plus another £2,000 if they're promoted back up.

As attractive as the offer was, I turned it down. If he's truly that good--and our staff think he just might be--I want to have him in our lineup for more than 20 minutes before he's shipped off. Tim is happy playing for Strathie. He's only 20, and as long as he feels his development is proceeding well at our club, I'd like to keep him around.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #76
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 August 2013

Strathspey Thistle 4-0 Berwick

4-4-2
D: Tim Francis, Campbell, Kennedy, Laird
M: Brady, S. Noble, Brown, McGowan

Goals: Murray (7, 62, 83), Khoza own goal (77)

It's hard to be much happier with an outcome than I am with this one. It might have been the most satisfying match I've ever experienced at Strathspey Thistle. Berwick lost the promotion playoff final last spring, so they're a good side, one we'd have to play well against to defeat. That's exactly what we did.

Colin Brown created our first goal with a beautifully weighted ball up the middle to Sean Dickson. Berwick's center backs both decided to mark him, which was a fatal mistake, for they left Stevie Murray completely alone. Sean got him the ball, and that's all it took.

Dickson brought the crowd to its feet on 62' when he picked up a Garry McGowan header deep in his own area and set off on a long run up the right side. When he neared the byline, he sliced a cross to Murray, who hit a right-footed volley into a wide-open goal. I haven't seen two more professional goals in the same game from Strathie since I arrived there.

I felt sorry for Tsepo Khoza, Berwick's captain. He's a very good right back who was moving into position when a cross deflected off him, past his keeper and into the goal. Had the

Murray's hat trick delighted the crowd, who were happy to learn that we've extended his contract through 2016. Stevie will earn £1,000/month, which I don't mind paying to a productive striker who is a fan favorite at Seafield Park.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #77
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Murray is on fire!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #78
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Murray is on fire!

That's the truth! Counting the friendly against Manchester City Reserves, he has seven goals in four matches. It's never realistic to expect a striker to maintain that kind of form, but "Stevie Wonder" is certainly giving us every reason to believe he'll be one of the SFL Premier's most dangerous scoring threats again this season.

Thanks for stopping by.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #79
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 August 2013

Brechin City 1-0 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Laird, S. Noble
M: Brady, Brown, Wright, McGowan

We were edged out by a side that was the oddsmakers' pick for league champion, and the match was on their grounds. It's hard to be too upset about that outcome.

We were outshot 13-6, but we held possession half the time and generally looked sharp. Tim Francis played exceptionally well for us, earning Man of the Match honors (8.0).

Unfortunately, the injury bug bit us again. This time the victim was Sean Dickson, who will be out at least two weeks with a gashed leg. Craig Gordon will take his place in the lineup while he recovers.

By the way, we are fifth favorite for promotion, with 6-1 odds against us. Albion Rovers, Stranraer, and Clyde are the other clubs who are favored to place ahead of us, and we're on the same odds as Stirling.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #80
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

31 August 2013

Today marks the end of the summer transfer window, and while I don't have a definite need in mind, I remain open to the possibility of improving our side.

The morning begins with the arrival of scouting reports for some youngsters who have been without clubs since they were released in the spring. The most intriguing are a 17-year-old striker, Willie Nelson, and a 19-year-old goalkeeper, Craig Robertson. Neither of them play a position where we have a pressing need, but they are both extremely talented players, and our staff thinks they would be great additions to our side.

My reporter buddy Sean Nicol asks me if I'm planning to sell Tim Francis; his sources tell him there will be some clubs trying to pry him away. I tell Sean that Francis isn't going anywhere, and that makes Tim very happy.

Meanwhile, I am deciding whether or not to offer contracts to Nelson and Robertson. Our chief scout thinks Nelson will want close to £1,000/month, which is what we're paying Stevie Murray. Is that too much for a youngster who played three first team matches for Rangers last year? I almost always play two strikers, so Nelson could slot in beside Murray; there's no way in hell I'm taking Stevie Murray out of the first team. Nelson would pair well with Murray, since Stevie is developing into a prototypical Target Man, and Nelson profiles best as a stylish Deep Lying Forward.

Robertson might sign for £500-£700/month. That's twice what we pay Chris Christie, our first choice keeper, and we have a promising backup, Ian MacDonald, who is a year older than Robertson. Still, Craig has played for Scotland at the U19 level, an achievement no Strathie player can claim.

I decide to make contract offers to both Nelson and Robertson. Both players are satisfied with my first offer: £600/month for Robertson, £825/month for Nelson.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #81
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

31 August 2013

Well, that didn't take long!

Two hours after we offered them their contracts, both Willie Nelson and Craig Robertson were officially signed for Strathspey Thistle. Both players accepted two-year contracts, so they'll be with us through the 2014-15 season.

Nelson isn't extremely fast, but he accelerates so quickly that he seems faster than he is. He's good with the ball, a shifty dribbler with a deft first touch, and the ability to finish. His playing style and skill set complement those of Stevie Murray very well, and those two, along with Craig Gordon and Sean Dickson, make us four-deep at striker.

Robertson is probably only a little bit better than Chris Christie right now, but he's four years younger, and it's safe to say that his potential is greater. Chris is better in the air, but Craig is a more skilled distributor. Right now, I see myself using the two keepers in a rotation of sorts, unless one of them seizes the job or becomes too unhappy sharing the job. And, unless Ian MacDonald is absolutely horrified at the prospect of being loaned out, I'll see if there's a club who would like to have a good young keeper for a season.

Both of our new men will be available for today's match, but neither is anywhere close to match fit. Still, I might let at least one of them make his first team debut today.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #82
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

31 August 2013

Strathspey Thistle 2-0 Stirling University FC

4-4-2
GK: Craig Robertson
D: Francis, Campbell, Bell, Laird
ST: Willie Nelson, Murray

Goals: Brady (26), Francis (38)

We played the kind of football I like to see today. We controlled possession (62%), passed accurately (79%), and outshot our opponent (18-10). Most importantly, we won the match. Stirling Uni are currently lying in the drop zone, but it's still satisfying to see us control a match. Charlie Laird was especially glad to see us grab three points from his former club.

Tim Francis was superb once again, establishing a commanding presence in the air which was capped off with a goal, when he headed in Garry McGowan's cross. It was great to see Stephen Brady get his first goal for Strathie, which occurred at the end of a long sequence of passes--again, featuring Francis, who provided the assist.

Our newest additions acquitted themselves well. Robertson made several saves and kept a clean sheet, while Nelson was active and nearly had an assist when Murray banged one off the woodwork.

We've moved up to seventh now, and we're away to Clachnacuddin in four days. Robertson and Nelson won't be available, as they'll be off on international duty with the Scotland U19s.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #83
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

31 August 2013

As the evening continued, Hamilton Academical (Premiership) tried to get me to give them Shane Bennett on a free transfer. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

We accept a loan offer from Forres Mechanics (SFL Second Division, 2 levels lower) for young goalkeeper Kevin Tiffoney. He can get some first team experience there, which he won't be seeing here this season.

And, with that, the transfer window closed.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #84
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

4 September 2013

Clachnacuddin 0-0 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Kennedy, Chisholm
M: Courts, Duncan Ross, Stevie McCluskey, O'Neill

This is the first of our troublesome clusters of matches: two in close succession, a Premier match and a very tough tie in a cup competition where we're supposed to keep going for a while. I would have loved a result here, but given what happened, I'll take the point and smile on my way out of town.

Clachnacuddin were awarded a penalty, and it was taken by Tommy Maxwell, who is very good from the spot. Christie came up huge, saving the penalty and preserving the draw.

Matt Kennedy (7.6) was Man of the Match for his efforts to keep Christie's sheet clean. We didn't really generate a dangerous scoring chance all evening.

I gave midfielder Duncan Ross his first team debut tonight. He's 19, and our backroom staff is divided on the issue of his potential. Michael Dempster and Andy Robertson, our best evaluators of future talent, say he could be a very good one. I like the fact he is already comfortable playing in several different positions. He's one to keep an eye on. Right now, he'll see the vast majority of his action with our reserves and U19 squad.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #85
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

5 September 2013

Willie Nelson and Craig Robertson traveled to Agueda with the Scotland U19 squad for a friendly match with Portugal. Nelson scored the Tartan Army's lone goal in a 1-3 defeat. He played all 90 minutes, and his 7.4 rating was second best on Scotland's roster.

Robertson did not play, as Eddie Munro was in goal.

Willie and Craig will continue on to Daugava, Latvia for another match in four days.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-23-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #86
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

7 September 2013
Scottish Cup, Second Round

Strathspey Thistle 2-0 Forfar

4-5-1
D: Roberts, Bell, Francis, S. Noble
M: Wright, Brown
AM: C. Noble, McGowan
ST: Murray

Goals: Murray (27, 69)

I can admit it now: this one had me worried. Forfar are a mid-table club in Premiership 2, so they're a very tough draw, even at Seafield Park. With Gordon exhausted, Dickson hurt, and Nelson on international duty, we had one fit striker--Murray--so the 4-5-1 seemed like the only formation that would work well. I had Michael Dempster pick the lineup, and his choices were obviously good ones.

Stevie's first goal wasn't spectacular, but it was Murray at his best. He took a pass from Adam Wright at the edge of the area, with two markers nearby. Using his strength to keep the defenders from muscling him off the ball, he slid to his right, opening up just enough space to shoot and, even more importantly, drawing the Forfar keeper just far enough to his left to give Stevie a shooting angle. Stevie drew the ball back across the box as the keeper leaned the wrong way, putting it into the far corner of the net.

Murray's second score came on a header, after a Forfar center back tried to clear and completely missed the ball. All Stevie had to do was tap it with his forehead into a wide-open net.

As good as Murray was, it was Tim Francis who once again was the best player on the park. The commentator kept giving "Headed clear by Francis..." "Well intercepted by Francis...", even "Headed off the line by Francis...that was a sure goal!" Tim banked a 9.0 rating before leaving at 70'.

Everyone can rest now, since we have a full week off before our next match. That will be a luxury we won't have again for a while!

We earned £2,280 for our performance.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #87
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 September 2013

The Scotland U19 side won 4-0 away to Latvia this week, with Craig Robertson between the posts. He made five saves, denying the Latvians their only good scoring chance. He finished with a 7.0 rating.

Willie Nelson was also in the starting eleven, playing 39 minutes before subbing out. He played well while he was on the pitch, earning a 7.1 rating.

Both players should be back for our next fixture, home to Montrose, in two days.

We have an easier draw in the third round of the Scottish Cup than we did in the second. On 12 October, we'll travel to Fleet Star, an SFL Third Division club.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #88
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

14 September 2013

Strathspey Thistle 4-0 Montrose

4-4-2
GK: Robertson
D: Francis, Campbell, Laird, Chisholm
M: Courts, S. Noble, Brown, McGowan
ST: Murray, Nelson

Goals: Courts (7), Flockhart own goal (11), Campbell (24), Nelson (55)

Montrose are really struggling this season, and we opened up a quick three-goal advantage that put them back on their heels.

I think both Stevie Murray and Gareth Flockhart, the Montrose keeper, were robbed on the official decision to award Flockhart an own goal. Murray's shot seemed to carom off Flockhart's back, but I'm not sure he could have saved it , even if he'd been in a good position. It was that good a shot.

Courts had the pick of the goals, a low, hard shot from 20 yards out, just wide of Flockhart's outstretched hands. Campbell's was well taken too--a header off Noble's corner.

Noble had two assists, but Campbell, who was a rock on defense, got Man of the Match with a 9.0 rating.

We're seventh in the league now, two points off a spot in the playoffs--but it's still very, very early. I'm happiest with the fact that we've conceded only three goals in six league games (we've scored 11).
Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #89
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

18 September 2013
Scottish Football League Cup, Second Round

Nairn County 0-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Roberts, Campbell, Francis, Laird
ST: Nelson, Murray

Goal: Murray (90+2)

This was tougher than we thought it would be...but we made it that way ourselves.

About a half hour in, Ian Roberts hammered a Nairn County player with an elbow and drew a straight red card. His vicious foul meant we'd have to make things happen with only ten men. We dropped Steven Noble back and parked the bus, hoping to avoid a goal.

The strategy worked, and we went into stoppage time with a scoreless draw. I was expecting the match to continue into extra time, which was the very last thing we need with so many fixtures coming up.

Then, Nairn goalkeeper Dougie McGowan made the kind of error he'll have a hard time forgetting. Attempting to clear the ball to a defender, he rolled it past his teammate and onto the foot of Willie Nelson, just inside the penalty area. When the defense converged on him, he slipped the ball to Stevie Murray, who drove it past the hapless McGowan before he could scramble back into position.

It sure wasn't pretty, but we'll take it.

Roberts will be suspended for a match, and so will Colin Brown, who drew his second yellow card of the season. It's not likely either would be fit to play anyway, since the next match is in only three days.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #90
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

21 September 2013
Scottish Cup, Second Round

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2-0 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Bell, George Mackintosh, Shane Bennett
M: Brady, Mark Black, Christian Bowles, McCluskey
ST: Dickson, Gordon

In this case, I'm not terribly disappointed with an 0-2 defeat. I admittedly chose a side that is far from our strongest, choosing to save more of our better players for the league match four days from now. Still, this is a far better group of players than we've ever been able to turn out in a similar situation.

Midfielders Mark Black and Christian Bowles, who were injured in training and have been building their match fitness with the reserves, made their first appearances of the season for the first team today.

We conceded an early goal and held the scoreline until very late in the second half, when Inverness strung together a very nice series of passes until we slipped up and left a player unmarked.

Nobody expected us to beat Inverness, so the players handled the outcome without losing much morale.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #91
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

25 September 2013

Strathspey Thistle 2-4 Wick Academy

4-4-2

Goals: Nelson (6, 84)

When I start to think I'm figuring some of this out, wham! Something like this happens. At home, against a club that is both not as talented and not as match-fit, we get sent off without much to say about it.

We scored first, but Wick Academy equalized fairly quickly and took the lead early in the second half. Then, another goal put us two down at the 79' mark.

I subbed in Sean Dickson (a striker) for center back Willie Campbell, who was struggling big time, in an effort to spark the attack, and it seemed to work for a few minutes. Murray put Nelson through to bring us back within one score. However, Chisholm got hurt and had to leave the match, Dickson nearly cracked the crossbar with a drive, and Wick Academy took advantage of our manpower shortage and scored again.

Nelson (8.8) and Murray (8.5) were very good; Campbell (5.9) and Francis (6.2) were not.

We're in eighth place now, one of a cluster of four teams who have earned 10 points from 7 matches so far this season.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #92
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

28 September 2013

Strathspey Thistle 2-0 Formartine United

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Campbell, Francis, Bennett
ST: Gordon, Murray

Goals: Graham own goal (6), Brown (73)

We're back on the winning track, with another very good performance defensively and a timely goal or two. I would still rather see us control the ball more--we had only 47% of the possession tonight--but we outshot them (8-6) and, most importantly, we kept them off the scoresheet.

The own goal was the result of a hard drive by Craig Gordon that banged off the crossbar, hit the goalkeeper in the back, and bounced into the net behind him. Again, it would have been nice to see Craig get credit for it, but that's football.

Colin Brown slotted home the other goal, his first for Strathie. It's nice to see some goals coming from the midfield, so our opponents can't smother our strikers and feel confident about their chances of shutting our offense down completely.

Another clean sheet for our new goalkeeper, Craig Robertson. It's his third since he arrived, and that ties him with our other keeper, Chris Christie, for most in the league. Our seven goals conceded are the fewest in our league.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #93
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

5 October 2013

East Stirlingshire 0-5 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Chisholm, Laird
ST: Nelson, Murray

Goals: Brown (2), Nelson (43, 59), Campbell (72), Murray (82)

When we played East Stirlingshire back in March, they beat us 2-1 at Ochilview Park. We returned there tonight, and the outcome was very different.

Our opponents seem to be, with good reason, very concerned about letting Stevie Murray have room to operate in front of the goal. Lately, though, they have been paying for their determination to deny Murray those chances. Willie Nelson is making them pay, again and again. He struck twice in this match, giving him five in four league contests.

Colin Brown scored a goal for the second straight match, and he added two assists, good for a 9.1 rating and a Man of the Match selection. Andy Chisholm (17 interceptions, 14/14 headers won) was tremendous in the back, too.

Here's how the table looks after this weekend's matches:

We're back in the playoff spots, with one of the better goal differentials in the league. It's still very early, but that's a good sign.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #94
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 October 2013

Queen's Park 1-3 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Laird, Bennett

Goals: Francis (11), Brady (19), Dickson (50)

Another three points lifts us all the way to third in the SFPL, level with Clyde on 19 points but two goals better on differential. Annan have 20, and Cove Rangers, this year's pace-setter, have 25.

Tim Francis made excellent use of his PPM, Shoots with Power, and scored on a thunderous strike just inside the left post, a shot that I'm not sure anyone else in the team could have delivered. Stevie Murray was Man of the Match, although he didn't score; his header onto the foot of Stephen Brady in the six-yard box created our second goal, and his inch-perfect pass to a charging Sean Dickson set up our third.

Youngster Shane Bennett gave us a good performance at right back--the kind we need to get at a time when our crowded schedule requires me to give first teamers occasional rests. Bennett is doing nothing to make me think he's not ready for regular action at age 16.

Willie Nelson is on international duty, representing Scotland at the U19 European Championship Qualifying. He didn't play in Scotland's 3-1 victory away to Faroe Islands. Fortunately, we didn't need him...if he's not going to suit up, I wish the national team wouldn't take him.

Another short rest--three days--before a Scottish Cup tie at Fleet Star.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-28-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #95
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 October 2013

Good news from the European U19 Championship: Scotland are through to the Second Qualifying Round after defeating Switzerland, 2-1.

Willie Nelson came off the bench to figure in both Scotland goals. He set up the first, and he scored the deciding goal in the 80th minute.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #96
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 October 2013
Scottish Cup, Third Round

Fleet Star 0-3 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Kennedy, Bell, Chisholm, Bennett
M: Courts, S. Noble, Brown, O'Neill
ST: Murray, McGowan

Goals: Kennedy (6), Murray (38), Chisholm (56)

With a slightly different lineup, we did what we were expected to do in this Scottish Cup tie against an amateur side from three divisions lower.

Two of our goals came from back-liners, with Matt Kennedy scoring for the first time in a Strathie shirt. His was a well-struck shot from the left edge of the box, laid on by Colin Brown, who is developing quite a knack for setting up his teammates. Chisholm powered home a header off a corner by Adam Wright, who had just entered the match.

It was good to see Stevie Murray get a goal, too. Lately, he has been expanding his offensive role, playing more effectively with his back to goal and making precise passes to open teammates. He demonstrated today that he's lost none of his ability to put it in the back of the net.

By reaching the fourth round, we've now met our board's expectation for this competition.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #97
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

16 October 2013

Scotland have qualified for the 2014 World Cup!

A 2-0 defeat of Belgium secured the top spot in Group 1 of the European qualifying tournament. Scotland finished with 16 points in 10 matches, with Serbia a point behind. Croatia, Belgium, Wales, and Macedonia rounded out the group, in that order.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-01-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #98
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

19 October 2013

Strathspey Thistle 3-0 Albion Rovers

4-4-2

Goals: Courts (33, 47), Murray (45+2)

This was one of the most satisfying victories of the season. We went out with an attacking mentality, which we don't often do--and it worked a charm.

We controlled the ball 61% of the time and completed 81% of our passes. And that scoreline says more about our performance than anything else.

Scott Courts, the Man of the Match, got a brace, and Murray rifled in a volley for our third goal. Stevie set up Courts' first goal with a sweet pass from inside the area; it was Murray's seventh assist, which tied him for most in the league.

We moved up to second place, with help from Brechin, who defeated Annan.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #99
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

24 October 2013

As we prepare for Saturday's match away to Clyde, the business side of club operations has been in the headlines.

A local businessman, Marc Love, has his sights on becoming the next chairman at Strathspey Thistle. He's supposedly prepared to offer up to £775,000 to seize control. The club is worth about £1.4 million, so it sounds like Love would be getting a good deal.

The directors have placed me under a transfer embargo while the takeover is resolved. Fortunately I don't see much need to bring anyone in right now, but I'd still rather the situation be straightened out, one way or another.

More relevant to Saturday's match is the news that a heel injury suffered in training will keep Scott Courts out of action for about two weeks. He joins fullback Charlie Laird on the sidelines; Charlie has a pulled hamstring and will be out for up to four more weeks. Clyde are a good side, and we could certainly have used both Courts and Laird against them. Stephen Brady and Stevie Bell will probably start in their places.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #100
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

26 October 2013

Clyde 0-1 Strathspey Thistle

4-4-2
D: Francis, Campbell, Chisholm, Bennett

Goal: Murray (90+1)

For the second time this season, Stevie Murray delivered a goal in stoppage time to break a scoreless draw. This time Murray's strike garnered us three points in a match against a top SFPL rival on their grounds. Cove Rangers lost to Montrose (!), so their lead over us is now down to a single point (26-25).

Clyde came out determined to barricade their goal, starting two defensive midfielders in front of their back four. We controlled possession most of the game, but were unable to get good scoring chances. Clyde's strategy worked for 90 minutes, until Murray ran onto a nice ball from substitute Sean Dickson and banged it in off the post.

There's a reason Stevie Murray is the most popular player in the club.

Tim Francis played another superb game at left back. He was credited with 16 interceptions, and his 8.1 rating earned him Man of the Match honors. His fellow defender, Willie Campbell, posted an 8.0, winning 13 of 14 headers.

Unfortunately, the plague of injuries we've suffered lately claimed another victim. Andy Chisholm went down again; he'll miss 3-4 weeks with a painfully twisted knee. We face Annan, who are third in the table, at Seafield Park next week, and now we'll do it with three of our first eleven watching from the stand.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 09-05-2014 at 10:45 AM.