Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
AnalBumCover
College Starter

From Five-to-Fifty: ABC's Poker Challenge

Here's a new twist to a poker dynasty.

As of 01/01/05, I began the New Year with a mere $5 in my PokerStars account. Not much to work with, I know. But this is where my poker challenge begins.

I plan to work that $5 through the tables at Stars and be able to cash out and buy myself a 50 inch plasma television, worth several thousand dollars!

Hence the title of this dynasty: "From Five-to-Fifty"

Here's the catch: I will be applying extremely strict House Rules on myself. To some, it may not make sense, because I can make some easy money in numerous ways. But to me, it's mainly to keep a solid playing structure, to minimize variance, and to keep my focus on the ultimate goal. But also to make this challenge, well, challenging.

HOUSE RULES:
1) Play Micro Limit ring games ONLY, from $.02/.04 up to $1/2. At these tables, I can maximize my profits against the poor-playing opponents. At higher limits, the opponents play much smarter. I may dip my toes into a $2/4 table, if I see the table is somewhat loose/passive. But nothing higher.

[Note - Unfortunately, this also means I will not be participating in any of the FOFC weekly tournaments during the duration of this challenge (at least not with this money. However I might make a paypal arrangement with someone for the buy-in amount, and cash out any tournament winnings right away).]

2) Move up in Levels only when my bankroll can support 100xBB of the new Level. Industry standard bankroll size dictates 200xBB, but I believe at the micro limits I can play comfortably with only 100xBB.

3) Move back down a Level if my bankroll is reduced down to 75xBB of the current Level. This should protect my bankroll, as well as reduce any tilt behavior I may be suffering from.

4) Play this challenge at PokerStars only, and I may NOT utilize any reload or transfer bonuses to/from any other poker sites. After all, it is a CHALLENGE, n'est pas? However, I may play poker for money at other sites, but not for the benefit of this challenge.

5) I have until 12/31/05 to complete this challenge. That gives me only one year. At the end of this challenge, I will withdraw all my winnings (save $5, for next year's challenge) and buy the best television I can afford. It could be the 50" widescreen plasma tv, or it could be a 13" RCA. The point is, I WILL be buying myself a new television. But which one will be determined by how successful I am.

Technically, I've already begun my challenge as of the first of the year. And I'm already into my second week of playing. I'll start posting my results up to this point following the initial post.

ABC

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-13-2005 at 01:22 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
AnalBumCover
College Starter

50" XBR® Plasma WEGA™ HDTV

This is what I'll be playing for. Subject to change depending on current technology. I'd really like an LCD over Plasma, but upon further research, I haven't seen any 50" LCD sets out there. But who knows, by the end of the year, we may see a few out there.

On a weekly basis, I will post what kind of television that I am able to afford at that point in time. It'll be a fun way to illustrate how I progress through the duration of this challenge.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-13-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

This a really nice twist on the standard poker dynasties!

I know you didn't solicite advice, but there are a couple of things that concern me from your initial post...

Quote:
to minimize variance

This doesn't really make sense to me (and it goes along with the next thing I mention). Lowering variance is something that is hard to do instinctively, and even if you can, it's simply unprofitable to do so. If you have a variance of 25BB/100 with a win rate of 3BB/100, so what? Are you saying you'd prefer 1.5BB/100 with a variance of 10BB/100?

Quote:
2) Move up in Levels only when my bankroll can support 100xBB of the new Level. Industry standard bankroll size dictates 200xBB, but I believe at the micro limits I can play comfortably with only 100xBB.

I think this is just far to low. Mathematically, 300xBB affords you a 5% risk of ruin if you're better than a break-even player - that, however, is still sizeable. But playing the microlimits obviously means you don't necessarily need that much. But 100x seems like it is totally pushing it, to me. And plus, dropping down at 75x (which I think is very wise), will happen quite frequently (25BB swings are not at all uncommon) which might get frustrating. I'd suggest you push up to 200xBB, or at least 150xBB, but obviously it's your challenge.

And that ties into the variance thing, because if you have a plenty-big bankroll (which 200-300xBB would be), you don't need to worry about variance whatsoever. If you get 33 on the button, UTG raises and 5 cold-call, you cold-call too because it's +EV. Hands like that will certainly increase your variance, but it's also increasing your expectation, which should really be your only concern. If you're playing 100xBB and don't play hands like this because they give you more variance, you're basically giving away money.

Just my $.02.

Good luck and I'll be following!!!
~rpi-fan
Old 01-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
AnalBumCover
College Starter

For the record, I appreciate and encourage any advice you offer.

Points well made. As a matter of fact, my comment "to minimize variance" was made fortuitously, and without regard to the true nature of poker. My main concern, as you mentioned, really should be to maximize my expectation.

As for the bankroll size, I too consider it very low. I may change it to 150-200xBB.

Once I get home tonight, I'll start my write-up of my first two weeks.

Thanks for reading!
ABC

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-13-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Cool idea. I'll be reading. I'd like to try something similar, but I'd probably need to go with the Fifty-to-five challenge.

Start with $50 and see if it lasts 5 minutes.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Week One. 01/01/05 - 01/07/05

Since I'll be covering a full week in this post, I won't get into much detail on my play.

I started the new year with only $5 in my virtual wallet and an optimistic attitude.

Mind you, I am not jumping into this challenge unprepared.
  • I had just begun my second run-through of Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold 'em which gave me a whole new perspective on the small stakes game.
  • I periodically read the micro-limits discussions at The 2+2 Forums.
  • I programmed PokerTracker to auto-download and auto-import hands, and to auto-rate my opponents and generate notes on them.
I am now armed and ready. That big screen tv will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

In my first week, I produced unbelievable results. I was taking in pots left and right, picking on the weaker players. And at the $.02/.04 Level, the pickins were abundant. In a matter of days, I was already able to move up in limits, per my house rules. And the results at the $.05/.10 Level were more of the same. Talk about "Shock & Awe." My win rate came out to about 40BB/100.

When I finally completed the first weekly term, my bankroll had grown to over $18. More than triple my starting amount. I figured I was about 5-6 weeks ahead of schedule. That's a nice cushion to work with, and now I'm able to withstand any mid/long term downswings without jeapordizing the ultimate goal.

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

ABC

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-13-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
AnalBumCover
College Starter

COBY CX-TV6 5"

If my challenge ended after week one, I'd be able to afford this. A portable 5-inch black & white piece o' junk.

Wow. I have quite a ways to go.

ABC

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-13-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

I like this

Good luck!

I normally am a big proponent of a minimum 300BB bankroll, but for an agressive "I've only got $5 in my account and want to build it" challenge I can see lowering the requirements a fair amount. Also, the 300BB+ 'roll I usually associate with staying at the same level. If you're willing to put yourself on a tight leash when you first jump up to the next level and are willing to level hop a lot, a 150BB bankroll seems perfectly fine I would think.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Week Two: 01/08/05 - 01/14/05

I'm still not sure how I'll be presenting this dynasty. I've been playing catch-up for the first two weeks, so there hasn't been much detail in my play. Since I usually play two tables at a time, I am unable to write up my dynasty on the fly without losing my concentration.

I think what I'll do is after a few sessions, I'll look at particular types of hands that I may be having trouble with and post them here for advice.

That said, this week's theme will be wired Jacks (JJ). I just don't seem to know how to play this hand. I tend to needlessly take them too far.

Please take a look at the following and offer your opinions.

Hand #1: PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Jh, Jc.
UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls.
Flop: (9 SB) 8h, As, 4h (4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.
Turn: (6.50 BB) 7h (4 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, UTG raises, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.
River: (14.50 BB) Jd (4 players)
SB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds.
Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Hand #2: PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is SB with Jc, Jh.
2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.
Flop: (10 SB) Kh, 2h, 5h (5 players)
Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds.
Turn: (6.50 BB) Td (3 players)
Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls.
River: (9.50 BB) 9s (3 players)
Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Hand #3: PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG 3-bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.
Flop: (18 SB) 5h, As, 3d (6 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.
Turn: (14 BB) Kh (5 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.
River: (19 BB) 4h (5 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds, Hero folds.
Final Pot: 22 BB

Hand #4: PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Jh, Js.
3 folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.
Flop: (10.40 SB) Qs, Ac, 9s (5 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets, Button raises, BB folds, Hero folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.
Turn: (7.20 BB) 7s (2 players)
MP3 checks, Button bets, MP3 folds.
Final Pot: 8.20 BB

Hand #5: PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (6 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is MP with Jh, Js.
1 fold, Hero raises, CO calls, 1 fold, SB 3-bets, BB calls, Hero calls, CO calls.
Flop: (12 SB) 5s, Kh, 8c (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, CO raises, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.
Turn: (9 BB) 3d (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, BB calls, Hero calls.
River: (12 BB) Ks (3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets, BB folds, Hero calls.
Final Pot: 14 BB

ABC
Old 01-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think i've seen pocket jacks twice... ever.. but i'm always really leary if anything higher then a jack comes on the flop.. especially with peoples tendency to play anything with one face card (k 4 os for example)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Axion ACN 3518

I finished Week Two $8 richer and can now afford this black & white television. What's the difference between the two black & whites, you ask? Upon comparison on cnet.com, while both sets offer a 90-day warranty on labor, the Axion offers a 1-year limited warranty on parts. The Coby offers no such warranty.

With $26 in my virtual wallet, it's on to Week Three!

ABC

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-16-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #12
robbgmaier
College Prospect

sorry, how come I don't see the hand results for the summary you posted above?
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbgmaier
sorry, how come I don't see the hand results for the summary you posted above?
The hand results are not as important when reviewing how well or poorly I played.

edit: In other words, I don't want the effect of hindsight to persuade you to say whether or not I played a hand correctly.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 01-16-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 AM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm interested to hear people's opinions of JJ. I usually play them the way you do, ABC, but have read that they are weaker hands than that - of course that's from a NL tournament point of view.

At the micro-limit level, I'm not sure how they should be played, but I would imagine you are always very vulnerable to a higher pair as Ragone alluded to.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Week Three: 01/15/05

Here's an interesting hand that I was sure to lose had I gone heads up with the guy to my right (CO). All he had to do was call his last remaining $.01! MP1 took note of the action afterwards with a "hmmm..." He might have thought there was some sort of collusion with me and CO.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is Button with Ac, Js.
2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.
Flop: (10 SB) 8h, Tc, Qh (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO bets, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.
Turn: (9 BB) 6s (4 players)
BB checks, MP1 bets, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.
River: (13 BB) Qc (4 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, BB folds, MP1 folds, CO folds.

ABC
Old 01-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover
That said, this week's theme will be wired Jacks (JJ). I just don't seem to know how to play this hand.

Most of us could probably have jacks as our theme for "how the hell do I play this" every single week.

Quote:
UTG calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls.
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, UTG raises, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

I think you can safely fold to the turn check-raise here, that screams flush to me, and if it's not a flush, it's very likely Ahx. Once you do call, the call on the river probably makes sense when you hit your set. Fold if the SB raises behind though.

Quote:
2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

This is probably how i'd play it as well. I don't know if that means it's a good way to play it though.

Quote:
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG 3-bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

The call on the flop is pretty terrible I think. If you were heads up w/ UTG I could see a raise to try to define his hand better, perhaps you could push him off of QQ/KK there if he slowed down to a flop 3-bet, and if he capped it you call/fold on the turn if you don't hit your set. But with 3 other callers, I can't imagine that you're ahead.

Quote:
3 folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets, Button raises, BB folds, Hero folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

I check/fold that flop almost every time with jacks.

Quote:
1 fold, Hero raises, CO calls, 1 fold, SB 3-bets, BB calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

I have absolutely no idea what I'd do here. At .05/.10 with just 1 overcard, perhaps calling it down isn't so bad.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter
Preflop: Hero is Button with Ac, Js.
2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.
Flop: (10 SB) 8h, Tc, Qh (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO bets, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.
Turn: (9 BB) 6s (4 players)
BB checks, MP1 bets, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.
River: (13 BB) Qc (4 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, BB folds, MP1 folds, CO folds.

Maybe he had low hearts(43s) or something like that. I mean, even if he's playing the board, he's getting 140:1 odds on that last cent and should call anyway, but who knows
Old 01-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Please take a look at the following and offer your opinions.

Standard up to here. You have to bet this out but I would be concerned when three people call. I would probably slow down on most turn cards and definitely one that either puts and overcard or makes anobvious draw like...
Quote:
Maybe this is weak tight but I think you have to check/fold this. The heart draw came in. Someone with a 87s now has two pair and even an unlikely gutshot came in besides the chance someone has an ace. I think you can also fold this after the check raise. Certainly, UTG has a hand that can beat your jacks here unless you have a read on him.
Quote:
Since you called on the turn you have to call the river here. Nice river card BTW.

Quote:
I think this is pretty standard. I would keep betting here even though it looks like one of the other players probably has a K. If you stop betting and one of them bets you would certainly call so why not bet yourself. If someone had the flush they would have let you know on the turn probably.

Quote:
A quick question here. In the games I play in a UTG limp reraise is almost always a sign that the player has Aces or maybe Kings. Is that common at 0.05/0.10 or do players just do that for fun? I see you didn't cap so I would guess that you respected the limp/reraise at least a little.
Quote:
I probably bet this out as well to see what UTG does. With his raise and then three(!) cold callers I would probably suspect that my Jacks are beaten here but you can't fold here because you are getting 25:1 on your money and you don't want to bet fold much(you know this from SSH just for people that might not).
Quote:
I think I would let it go on the turn though. It is 18:1 but you might not win even if you do get your jack. It's not a terrible call though.
Quote:
standard

Quote:
It sucks but what are you ahead of here? Two overcards is just too many with five other players. Save your money.

Quote:
I think this is pretty standard as well. CO might have a K but he might not. You have to call after the raise on the flop. You certainly have to call the river. Maybe the turn is the place to dump it but calling here can't be that negative EV.

Good luck with the challenge.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #19
KevinNU7
College Starter

i can't wait for the next update
Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #20
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Week Three: Continued.

Good news and (not so) bad news.

First the (not so) bad news. My play online was limited to only the first three days this week (each week starts on Saturday). Most of my normally free time had been occupied by more important things in my life. So poker took an unfortunate move to the back seat.

Now to the good news: my absence this week didn't matter because during those first three days of play I earned an impressive $17 playing $.05/.10! That alone added an additional week of cushion against my scheduled pace.

Once more, due to lack of time, I have not been able to review my hands and post them here for discussion. In fact, I will have to close out my week right now because I will be out of town this weekend and will be unable to play/update until Monday (however, I did just learn that my destination does have a wireless network hub, so given some free time, I may play a session or two on my laptop).

That said, I officially conclude Week Three and declare my current bankroll to now be $43. The television I can afford if my challenge ended this week would be:

Supersonic FC-9500

I have yet to move beyond the 5-inch black & whites, but at least this unit carries plenty of cool gadgets.

AM/FM radio. Flashlight. Siren function (whatever that may be, but it sounds really cool).

This just makes my day.

Enjoy the weekend, folks. And good luck at the felt!

ABC
Old 01-21-2005, 05:01 AM   #21
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I just loaded up my first (and hopefully last) 50$ to my PokerStars account yesterday. I will follow your quest and try not to get in your way.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 01-21-2005 at 05:01 AM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #22
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Supersonic FC-9500

I have yet to move beyond the 5-inch black & whites, but at least this unit carries plenty of cool gadgets.

AM/FM radio. Flashlight. Siren function (whatever that may be, but it sounds really cool).

This just makes my day.

Enjoy the weekend, folks. And good luck at the felt!

ABC
I have this TV the Siren function kicks ass! It is the prefect thing to play after a goal during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

It was also the Super Bowl horn for last year's game.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:51 PM   #23
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Week Four: 01/22/2005 - 01/28/2005

Well, the honeymoon is over. No longer are those win rates of 20-30BB/100 of the first three weeks.

All week, I was dealt a big pair (AA-JJ) only once. Oddly enough, it was the JJ, the very subject I brought up a couple weeks back. At least I won that hand.

Was dealt suited Broadway cards only three times. Winning only one of those hands.

With the lack of premium hands, I found myself seeing too many flops with marginal hands, and getting burned post flop with them - undoubtedly throwing away my money. On the plus side, I did manage to only lose only $1.00 during Week Four. Not a bad outing considering what I've been dealt.

That said, with $42, I am unable to upgrade my television for the week.

Here's hoping the cards fall my way this week.

ABC
Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

JJ....how I loathe you JJ.....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #25
KevinNU7
College Starter

Where's the update! I need the update damnit!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

Update please...

And what are suited Broadway cards?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #27
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Sorry fellas. I have put this on hold indefinitely because of real life excitement over the past several weeks - a new job, a new girl (pix pls k thx) - so I had to put poker on the back burner.

I'm not really sure on when I'll be getting back on track. Luckily, I've been ahead of schedule on my winnings that I can afford such a break. But I may sit for a while if I find myself falling behind.

This is nothing new to my dynasties... For one reason or another, my dynasties tend to fade to bolivian.

Suited Broadway cards are the higher ranking cards (J - A, and I believe includes T) of the same suit. For example: AJs, KQs, etc.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #28
KevinNU7
College Starter

You must be settled into that new job by now, and you probably broke up with her by now so it's time for an update