Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #201
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Looking to get a 2021 or 2022 Audi e-tron. I'm not worried about the range very much as we don't do tons of road trips. Also, CA has chargers everywhere. Getting the level-2 charging installed in the garage hopefully soon. I want to sell my existing car first though.

Taking our time to look around. I imagine we'll see some leases being turned in soon if not later this summer.

If you have any thoughts on the e-tron, let me hear them. My wife and I really loved it. The Q4 e-tron was a cool car too, but it wasn't worth making a move for in my opinion. Rather just sit tight.

Last edited by Mike Lowe : 06-20-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:54 AM   #202
Edward64
Head Coach

No idea on e-tron but out of curiousity, why Audi vs Tesla?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:59 AM   #203
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My neighbor had an Audi e-tron and loved it until winter hit. Then he sold it in a month because of how poorly the battery performed in cold weather. That's likely not an issue in CA though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #204
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Loving the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness, think that's what I'm leaning toward to replace my 2014 Ford Focus next year. Kind of like a Focus on steroids. Really want something that can do some of the rougher roads in Colorado. Just wish it got a bit better gas mileage, going to be hard to drop down from the 33-35 mpg I'm getting now.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:49 PM   #205
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am looking in that same sector, but am drawn to the Mazda CX-30 and CX-5 more than the Crosstrek.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:03 PM   #206
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, definitely in a similar class, something about the looks just don't do it for me though. Nothing against Mazda though, had a 6 at one time that I loved.

Tucson and RAV4 are the others I'm considering, especially hybrid versions. Also love the idea of a 2 door Bronco but just can't bring myself to that big a downgrade in mpg.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:10 PM   #207
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Loving the 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness, think that's what I'm leaning toward to replace my 2014 Ford Focus next year. Kind of like a Focus on steroids. Really want something that can do some of the rougher roads in Colorado. Just wish it got a bit better gas mileage, going to be hard to drop down from the 33-35 mpg I'm getting now.
If it came with a tow package, I might consider one. They are good looking and affordable.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #208
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Yeah, definitely in a similar class, something about the looks just don't do it for me though. Nothing against Mazda though, had a 6 at one time that I loved.

Tucson and RAV4 are the others I'm considering, especially hybrid versions. Also love the idea of a 2 door Bronco but just can't bring myself to that big a downgrade in mpg.

I thought I was buying an Outback a month or so ago. The dealer wouldn't budge off MSRP and their stupid add-ons so I walked out expecting them to chase me down. They didn't I really liked the Crosstrek but it didn't quite have enough space for us for road-trips.

I ended up with a CR-V Hybrid. It's a nice vehicle, not luxury or anything but pretty decent. I was also looking for RAV4's but there is no availability around here. Dealerships told me they keep waiting lists which sounds like a good recipe for over priced dealer add-ons.

Last edited by HerRealName : 06-26-2023 at 05:24 PM.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:40 PM   #209
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I am looking in that same sector, but am drawn to the Mazda CX-30 and CX-5 more than the Crosstrek.

CX-5 is hellafun to drive. I had one a few years ago. I'm sure the CX-30 is the same.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:01 PM   #210
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, definitely in a similar class, something about the looks just don't do it for me though..

That's exactly how I feel about the Crosstrek
Old 06-26-2023, 06:32 PM   #211
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
If it came with a tow package, I might consider one. They are good looking and affordable.

The Crosstrek Wilderness will be capable of towing 3,500 pounds.
Old 06-26-2023, 06:50 PM   #212
GrantDawg

But when I went to the website to build one they did not offer a tow package. If I'm spending that kind of money, I want a factory warranty tow package, not an after-market.

Nvm: They aren't letting me build the Wilderness yet

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-26-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:31 PM   #213
Edward64
Head Coach

I like the idea, don't like the $300k price tag (which seems low to me), but don't see how this is practical anytime soon. But innovation is good.

A flying car prototype just got an airworthiness certificate from the FAA | CNN Business
Quote:
Numerous companies are working on all-electric VTOLs, which stands for vehicle takeoff and landing aircraft. The FAA said that Alef is “not the first aircraft of its kind” to get a special airworthiness certificate. However, Alef noted that its vehicle is different because of its ability to function both on roads and in the air, to appear like a normal car and to park in a normal parking space.
:
“We’re excited to receive this certification from the FAA. It allows us to move closer to bringing people an environmentally friendly and faster commute, saving individuals and companies hours each week. This is a one small step for planes, one giant step for cars,” said Jim Dukhovny, the CEO of Alef.

The company’s website said the flying car will be a certified as a “low speed vehicle,” which means it won’t be able to go faster than about 25 miles per hour on a paved road. “The assumption is that, if a driver needs a faster route, a driver will use Alef’s flight capabilities,” the company posted on the site.

Regardless, It also still needs approval from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to go on roads.

Old 07-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #214
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
CX-5 is hellafun to drive. I had one a few years ago. I'm sure the CX-30 is the same.

We have had Mazdas for about ten years everything from the CX9 to the CX5. We had two CX-30s until last year when we traded one in for a RAV4 hybrid. Mazdas are great cars and are fun to drive. I have been disappointed they have been slow to get electrified cars out no has me looking elsewhere. If they get some affordable electrics/ hybrids we would definitely consider them.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:13 PM   #215
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I was just talking to a coworker about how much I loved my Mazda6. Just a great all-around car. I went electric 5 years ago and I'm almost certainly never going back.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:45 PM   #216
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The first car I drove a lot was my Dad's Mazda 626 back in the day. Loved that car so much. Earlier this year I replaced my 2007 Honda Fit that was getting a bit long in the tooth with a used Mazda3 and it's taken me back to the 626.

But when that needs to move on, I'll be going electric. The wife already has for her car (and we still have a minivan because of the kids, but that'll probably only be for a few more years).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:35 AM   #217
Ksyrup

I've seen multiple variants of this same article on the net the past week. Many of them couched this news as "US buyers simply don't want EVs" and I read one interesting article that suggested people needed to go through the hybrid phase before moving on to EVs - kind of an incremental move because so many people are uncomfortable with EV pitfalls and general fear of the unfamiliar.

US EV market struggles with price cuts and rising inventories | Reuters
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-13-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:44 AM   #218
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've seen multiple variants of this same article on the net the past week. Many of them couched this news as "US buyers simply don't want EVs" and I read one interesting article that suggested people needed to go through the hybrid phase before moving on to EVs - kind of an incremental move because so many people are uncomfortable with EWV pitfalls and general fear of the unfamiliar.

US EV market struggles with price cuts and rising inventories | Reuters

There was an article a month or two ago that did say car inventory was going to grow 2H 2023 (and hence, good time to buy) but was not specific to EVs. So not sure if this is part of the "general trend" or if EVs are hurting much more than conventional autos.

Still rooting for a Tesla 2 at $25K.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-13-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #219
GrantDawg

It is a general trend. I meant to post that here when I saw it, but not only are used cars prices dropping for the first time since the pandemic, but new car dealers are starting to offer incentives they haven't offered since the pandemic. New vehicle inventories are finally rising, and this expert in the industry said that by this fall there are going to be big savings in new car purchases.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #220
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The new electric Subaru has absolutely laughable specs. Nobody should buy it. Slow charging. Low battery size. Not sure who they’re building this car for. People with a lot of money and not a lot of understanding. I would assume.

It’s the type of electric car that would cause a divorce on a road trip

Last edited by stevew : 07-16-2023 at 02:08 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:44 PM   #221
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats Elon (and rest of your team). I think Cyber Truck is different enough where it'll be a success with the upper middle-class+.

Now get that $25K Tesla 2 done.

Tesla’s Texas factory has produced its first Cybertruck | Engadget
Quote:
After multiple years of delays, it looks like the Cybertruck is finally on its way to consumers. On early Saturday morning, Tesla tweeted out a photo of a Cybertruck that recently rolled off the company’s Giga Texas assembly line in Austin. “First Cybertruck built at Giga Texas!” the automaker said of the image.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:24 PM   #222
Edward64
Head Coach

The last couple cars we bought were for the kids and we paid cash. I didn't know car financing for 34-38% were for 6 years. And now Tesla is offering 7 years.

Coming from an era of 4 year (and then 5 year) financing, this sound really weird (and dangerous) to me.

Tesla starts offering 84-month loans as interest rates rise
Quote:
Tesla Inc. has started offering consumers 84-month auto loans after Elon Musk said the carmaker would “have to do something” about rising interest rates.

The company now includes seven-year loans as an option on its US order pages, after previously offering loans as long as 72 months. While extending loan terms can lower car buyers’ monthly payments, consumers tend to pay more in interest and face greater risk of owing more than their vehicle is worth.
Quote:
While 84-month auto loans have been gaining in popularity, the trend slowed early this year, according to credit-reporting company Experian. Roughly 34% of new vehicles loans in the first quarter were longer than six years, down from about 38% a year ago.

I went to a couple car financing calculator places to figure out difference in interest/principal. Unsurprisingly, it only gave monthly payments and not total interest/outlay. Guess I have to get our my HP-12C for that.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-22-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:00 PM   #223
GrantDawg

They have long been offering 84 months or even more on trucks. I just don't think I could sleep with a car loan of that length.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2023, 05:27 AM   #224
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, found another calculator that provides total principal/interest payments (but no monthly payments WTF?). Here's the use case comparison.

400 Bad Request
Quote:
Total Loan Amount $50,000.00
Sale Tax $3,500.00
Upfront Payment $5,500.00

Total of 60 Loan Payments
$57,998.40
Total Loan Interest $7,998.40
Total Cost (price, interest, tax, fees) $63,498.40
Quote:
Total Loan Amount $50,000.00
Sale Tax $3,500.00
Upfront Payment $5,500.00

Total of 84 Loan Payments
$61,355.93
Total Loan Interest $11,355.93
Total Cost (price, interest, tax, fees) $66,855.93

So for a 50,000 loan @6%, approx $3,400 more in interest for an additional 2 years

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-23-2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:15 AM   #225
Ksyrup

Yeah, 6-7 year loans have been offered for quite some time. No way I'd do that. Longest I've had a car is 7 years, I think. Maybe we had our first minivan close to 10 years but usually 5-7 years is the max.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-23-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:36 AM   #226
Edward64
Head Coach

Cyber truck spotted in LA without camo.

Tesla Cybertruck spotted in California - YouTube

It's growing on me. I like it. I doubt it'll do significant damage to the "real" trucks anytime soon though.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:23 AM   #227
Edward64
Head Coach

Really hot weather also affects EV range (up to -31%).

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/07/ex...tric-vehicles/
Quote:
A new study suggests that excessive heat can greatly diminish electric vehicle range. The findings are similar to other studies that show how excessive cold also reduces range. Thankfully, it seems as though the range is mostly unaffected unless the temperature is in the triple digits.

Seattle-based Recurrent studies and tests thousands of vehicles each year in order to analyze the relationship between batteries and their range. Its latest data indicates that when things get really hot, EVs could lose almost a third of their stated range. While Recurrent didn’t name names, it says that some vehicles saw a drop in their range of 31 percent when temperatures climbed above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius).

Recurrent is the same company that last year found that freezing temperatures have a nearly identical effect. Both the Ford Mustang Mach-E and the Volkswagen ID.4 saw dips in range of 30 percent when temps dropped below 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 degrees Celsius). At the same time, it’s worth noting that less extreme temperatures exhibit very little influence on battery range.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-26-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:31 PM   #228
Edward64
Head Coach

Drone footage of more Cybertruck goodness.

Cybertruck Driving in Realtime at Giga Texas on 16 August 2023 in 4K - YouTube

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-17-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 06:56 PM   #229
HerRealName
College Prospect

I saw one on the Dallas North Tollway like 3 weeks ago. The tailgate already had a huge dent.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:00 PM   #230
Edward64
Head Coach

How did it look in real life?
Old 08-17-2023, 07:06 PM   #231
GrantDawg

Don't buy no ugly truck.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:44 PM   #232
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I saw one on the Dallas North Tollway like 3 weeks ago. The tailgate already had a huge dent.

I wonder if making all the panels flat makes them easier to dent?
Old 08-17-2023, 08:00 PM   #233
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
How did it look in real life?

I didn't like it but it wasn't as ugly as I expected. It wasn't as angular as the pictures I've seen.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #234
Edward64
Head Coach

For about $300k, you can get ...

This new Mustang will feature tech outlawed in supercar racing
Quote:
The ultimate Ford Mustang is pawing the ground, ready to run. Ford plans to sell to the public a tech-laden version of the All-American pony car as a 2025 model, boasting more than 800 horsepower and features outlawed by the international GT3 sports car racing series

Not quite my style. For $300k, there's several others cars I'd get first

Best Cars Priced from $200k to $300k | 2023 Ratings | CarBuzz
Old 08-18-2023, 03:41 PM   #235
GrantDawg

With all the money in the world, I still wouldn't want a $200K+ car.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:43 PM   #236
Edward64
Head Coach

Well yeah. But if you could only spend the $300k on ONE car ...
Old 08-18-2023, 04:01 PM   #237
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Well yeah. But if you could only spend the $300k on ONE car ...
It would be a classic car that then donate to the Smithsonian.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:06 PM   #238
Edward64
Head Coach

I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles, but all the ones pictured are cool as heck

https://www.topspeed.com/best-cruise...ocket-iii-2004
Quote:
From the first decade of the new millennium, there were a number of top-notch cruisers that up to now are still considered as the best of that era. If you happen to be in the market for a cruiser from that specific time frame, here are 10 that you might want to consider.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:57 PM   #239
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice Lexus mini-van.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

This is impressive

Starting price $161k.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-27-2023 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:38 AM   #240
Edward64
Head Coach

Love that Honda is getting into the game.

A little too pricey for me and the range is only 300 miles, but more competition the better.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ails-revealed/
Quote:
The 2024 Honda Prologue debuts as the brand's second EV for the United States, and the mid-size SUV will start between $45K and $50K.

With an estimated range of up to 300 miles, the Prologue offers front- or all-wheel-drive powertrains; the latter produces 288 horses and 333 pound-feet of torque.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-29-2023 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:13 PM   #241
Edward64
Head Coach

I remember liking the 80s Prelude.

Not going to buy one (better choices out there for me) but happy it's making a comeback

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...cept-revealed/

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-26-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:34 PM   #242
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It is a general trend. I meant to post that here when I saw it, but not only are used cars prices dropping for the first time since the pandemic, but new car dealers are starting to offer incentives they haven't offered since the pandemic. New vehicle inventories are finally rising, and this expert in the industry said that by this fall there are going to be big savings in new car purchases.

I've been checking TrueCar for base Corolla prices to get a sense on pricing & deals. During Covid it was thousands above MSRP and this year, it's been around MSRP or just a little below.

There's something to the rumors of rising inventories in 2H.

Quote:
Corolla LE MSRP = $22,995
TrueCar Market Average = $22,035 (or 4.2% discount)

That's not great, great but decent.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-10-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #243
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone going to pick one up for base price of $61k?

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck/design#payment

Old 12-01-2023, 08:48 AM   #244
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm far from the target audience for the Cybertruck.

But I think that enough people are interested in something different that It'll be a pretty good seller once they start making enough of them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #245
Edward64
Head Coach

It's grown on me.

I won't ever get one but interested in the real user reviews.

EDIT:

Enjoyed his review. I thought he was more smartphone stuff.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-01-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #246
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Tesla's migration to a niche EV automaker continues apace.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #247
GrantDawg

Been doing some truck shopping. Was hoping things have gotten better on that front. No. It hasn't.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:56 PM   #248
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Been doing some truck shopping. Was hoping things have gotten better on that front. No. It hasn't.

If you’re considering a GM truck, I know a guy who can get you a discount!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:35 PM   #249
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone use Costco Auto? Wondering if they really do get no-hassle, lower deals.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:08 AM   #250
GrantDawg

HB, it is actually exactly what I was looking at. I have a 2016 Colorado work truck, and I was looking at if I took the auto allowance from work if it could be financially feasible to buy a new one. The problem is there none on the lots that aren't high-end trim 4-wheel drive models. About 10-15 grand more than I could consider. Looked for Rangers and Tacomas and it was the same problem.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-08-2023 at 08:36 AM.