Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Health Insurance Advice (Non Company Backed)

Hey everyone, hoping we have some here who deal with this.

My GF runs a small business/is self-employed. She has long had sleep apnea issues, but they have recently gotten worse, and a good doctor friend of hers has told her she needs to have a surgery to correct it soon, because her life is literally at risk at this point. Also, the sleep issues it is causing is hurting her healthwise in other ways.

As a small business owner, she does not have health insurance, and this surgery is way too expensive without it.

What are the best options out there for her when it comes to getting health insurance outisee of the corporate/company environment? Where you have to get it for yourself alone? Any recommendations?

I have to think we have private contractors and self-employed workers who have had to do this research at some point.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm understandably a little stressed about this.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

My GF runs a small business/is self-employed. She has long had sleep apnea issues, but they have recently gotten worse, and a good doctor friend of hers has told her she needs to have a surgery to correct it soon, because her life is literally at risk at this point. Also, the sleep issues it is causing is hurting her healthwise in other ways.

As a small business owner, she does not have health insurance, and this surgery is way too expensive without it.

What are the best options out there for her when it comes to getting health insurance outisee of the corporate/company environment? Where you have to get it for yourself alone? Any recommendations?

I have to think we have private contractors and self-employed workers who have had to do this research at some point.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm understandably a little stressed about this.

We use the Small Business Service Bureau for this.

I'm a 33 y/o male in good health and my policy is like...$500 a month or so I think.

SBSB | Small Business Service Bureau, Inc.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

You want to search for 'Individual Plans" or "Personal Plans" to find info on non employee sponsored plans. When I first went self employed I attempted to get quotes from the big national payers (Cigna/Aetna/Humana/United Healthcare are the big guys out there) and the BCBS in my state. You can get rates and plan options online easily for most of them. Because of this I wasn't able to compare rates between them all and pretty much just had to pick the best BCBS plan I could afford.

Commercial plans can refuse to offer you an individual plan if you have risk factors they don't like. BCBS will cover you but possibly at a very seriously high rate. In my situation for example I could only get coverage from BCBSNC because I'm overweight.

One thing to be aware of when you look are the rules the insurance has on pre-existing conditions. Coming into it without insurance coverage and knowing she has sleep apnea, its quite possible (likely, even) that your GF will have to get coverage and maintain it for a year before the surgery will be covered by insurance.

Another thing to be aware of, on the positive side of things, is that someone who is self-employed can deduct 100% of their health insurance premiums, this isn't part of itemized deductions, its part of the self employment tax side of things, so even if you take the standard deduction (which I do) you'll be able to benefit from this.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Do they offer any sort of discounts for being a member, or is it primarily the ability to consolidate your search and find the best rate?

Also, they say they're national but their very short overview section on health insurance mentions Mass many times... that makes me very wary as someone from another state.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Do they offer any sort of discounts for being a member, or is it primarily the ability to consolidate your search and find the best rate?

Also, they say they're national but their very short overview section on health insurance mentions Mass many times... that makes me very wary as someone from another state.

I'm not sure - I honestly didn't set it up...I just know that that's who we get it through.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, guys. Bump for anyone else might have missed this.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm interested in this too. It's seemed in the past our options were very limited and very expensive, so any tips would be nice to know.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Zeniazd
n00b

Am I the only one who looks at this thread and sees why the health insurance industry isn't the whole problem?
Zeniazd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniazd View Post
Am I the only one who looks at this thread and sees why the health insurance industry isn't the whole problem?

Passive aggressive much? Why don't you just come out and say what you want to say instead of leaving a lightly veiled snide insult that's either aimed at CR's girlfriend or me or both of us?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Zeniazd
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Passive aggressive much? Why don't you just come out and say what you want to say instead of leaving a lightly veiled snide insult that's either aimed at CR's girlfriend or me or both of us?

You know, I said exactly what I intended to say.

As is this: you're an ass. That has nothing to do with insurance and is entirely about your jacktard attitude.
Zeniazd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Now I'm not sure if I'm the problem.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

Right then, ignore it is.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniazd View Post

Yes
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

A while back, seven or eight years ago, My company's insurance options for my family were crazy expensive. I went to a private insurance broker, and she shopped around a plan for my wife and kids that was WAY cheaper than what I would have had to pay through my employer.

I know the insurers are out there. In 2014 there will be more options, but that is a long time to wait.

On a different front...Is she using a CPAP? That is significantly cheaper than surgery. It is what I used in the run up to my surgery.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
miked
College Starter

Not to bring too much into the fight, but I believe the offending poster may have been referring to the fact that the reason why insurance may not be the problem is that people don't get it until they are sick and know they need something. Now that there is a cause, it would appear that he/she wants to get out of paying what it actually costs by having the insurance company subsidize it.

I have no dog in the fight, but that appears to be part of the problem, not just greedy insurance companies but people who only want insurance when they are sick. Luckily with HCR pre-existing conditions cannot be denied, but this is the sort of thing people were getting at earlier.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Yes, but he's just asking for advice on getting his girlfriend treatment, not a discussion on Obamacare.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
miked
College Starter

I wasn't talking about HCR (or what you refer to as Obamacare). I was talking about the original argument being started because the poster seemed to be alluding to the fact that people not seeking insurance until they have to pay big bills as part of the overall problem, not just greedy insurance companies (though I do think they are greedy). But again, it seems like decent advice was given about how to go this route.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I was talking about the original argument being started because the poster seemed to be alluding to the fact that people not seeking insurance until they have to pay big bills as part of the overall problem

Sure, if you want to have that argument, have it (though I'd have recommended to that poster to have it in a political thread instead of the one where Chief Rum is trying to get helpful information and is talking about how stressed he feels over the situation). But some passive aggressive rolled eyes comment that you refuse to back up is just straight up trolling.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
miked
College Starter

I am agree. I don't want the argument and don't think this was the best place.