Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

BBC Series Merlin

I watched the first season of a BBC series called Merlin recently, and I read somewhere that NBC will be bringing it overseas sometime in the summer.

I enjoyed it, and actually my entire family did. If you like fantasy, this felt like a solid series. The actress that plays Morgana also kinda looks like Keira Knightley, but a bit more meaty... so there's that.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Anyone still watching? The first few seasons were on Netflix and a friend got me hooked on it when I was visiting home earlier this summer and then I forgot about it. Now I watch the episodes each week as they're released on the UK to keep up with the story.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-12-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Anyone still watching? The first few seasons were on Netflix and a friend got me hooked on it when I was visiting home earlier this summer and then I forgot about it. Now I watch the episodes each week as they're released on the UK to keep up with the story.

Saw this on Netflix but have not watched it at all. Might be interested though. What got you hooked on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You know I didn't really care at first. But my best friend was a huge fan. I spent three weeks there and we literally watched every episode on Netflix of the 3rd season. Once you know the storyline, it's sort of engrossing. Well acted, if not annoying at times. I have a hard time getting invested in shows, but this one stuck with me. The medieval storyline stuff is interesting, as is all of the sabotage and so forth. It's just got a lot of things -- politics, drama and a bit of comedy.

He gave me a lot of background though and I researched the rest, so I didn't start from Episode 1.1, but it's really engrossing now. I think in the U.S. it's broadcasting on SyFy and the 4th season will be here in the states starting next spring.

If you'd rather wait (or in my case don't have cable anyway) then you can just a proxy server and watch via the BBC iPlayer TV. Which is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-12-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have caught a few episodes on SyFy, and I enjoy it. But not enough to go looking for it again when I am home. I think the main problem is I am usually not home when it comes on (they usually show it on Friday nights, I think).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Merlin rocks - definitely a good series, both myself and my oldest son (12) are thoroughly into it.

The 4 seasons completed so far are all available on iTunes I believe.

For me its a nice relatively innocent fantasy good/evil romp with a few interesting twists and decisions with regards to storylines over the duration of the seasons (trying hard not to give anything away).

Same reason I'm into 'Burn Notice' at the moment, thats a good spy yarn in the vein of a grown up A-Team ... right up my alley

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You can only get Season 4 from UK iTunes, because it hasn't been broadcast here in the U.S. yet, so US iTunes doesn't have it yet.

But with a proxy server, you can just watch it on BBC iPlayer if you're just interested in watching it (and specifically watching and not owning the episodes.)

Also, there's usually one or two people on YouTube who record it in good quality before it gets pulled.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-13-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I still like the show, but have no idea what channel if any new episodes are being aired on in the USA.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I still like the show, but have no idea what channel if any new episodes are being aired on in the USA.

SyFy. But Season 4 won't be broadcast in the states until the spring, according to what I saw someone's ComicCon video a while back. It's already airing in the UK.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SyFy. But Season 4 won't be broadcast in the states until the spring, according to what I saw someone's ComicCon video a while back. It's already airing in the UK.

Thanks. I'm fairly sure I saw season 3 on SyFy last year (or earlier this year.)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Started watching Series 5 thanks to BBC One and online feeds. Two episodes have been broadcast thus far. Here's a spoiler free review of the series premiere.

Merlin: Arthur's Bane (Part 1) spoiler-free review | Den of Geek
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Merlin's ending after this season.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Merlin's ending after this season.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That's unfortunate. It's a fun series. The actors seem to really enjoy being a part of it, too, from what I remember of the Comic Con presentation. That was a good one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't care for season 1 when watching on scifi. There was some good stuff in there, but too many episodes with gratuitous farting and belching gags left me figuring it was bound for cancellation. I just avoided watching the ensuing seasons, figuring that it wasn't for me.

But about three months back I introduced my kids to it via netflix, and I really enjoyed it. The follow up seasons were really treats, and I'm looking forward to season five. Too bad it will be the last.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It started slow, but it's shaping up to be a doozy. (re: Season 5)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Show is over (in the UK) and I have to say, they did a really good job of cleaning it up. Lots of other questions, but it ended strong. If you're planning on tuning in on SyFy, you should enjoy it.