Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #18401
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Completely devoid of any context or information: Absolutely! Tell whoever that I gave you the go ahead.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-11-2019 at 08:59 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #18402
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Completely devoid of any context or information: Absolutely! Tell whoever that I gave you the go ahead.

I'll tell my agent that "thesloppy" gave me the go ahead. That's all I need!

The house is mainly a bachelor pad for me and maybe a roommate. Not the greatest place in the world but it's a place to call my own.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-11-2019 at 09:05 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #18403
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'll tell my agent that "thesloppy" gave me the go ahead. That's all I need!

The house is mainly a bachelor pad for me and maybe a roommate. Not the greatest place in the world but it's a place to call my own.

You absolutely should if you can afford it. Why pay rent?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #18404
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You absolutely should if you can afford it. Why pay rent?

I'd be cashing out a mutual fund (roughly half of what's in there)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #18405
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You can't live in your mutual fund!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #18406
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd be cashing out a mutual fund (roughly half of what's in there)

I think some key questions you have to ask yourself ...

1) Are you sure you can live with and/or depend on roomie to pay his/her fair share and/or not drive you crazy?
2) Is your mortgage payment going to be more than 28-35% of your income? Or are you able to save for retirement while also paying mortgage
3) Are you buying a house in a neighborhood where you have a reasonable chance of home appreciating if you stay long enough

Regardless, congrats on thinking through your options.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #18407
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I would actually be paying cash for the house. So no mortgage and I'm told lower closing costs since there's no lender.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #18408
digamma
Torchbearer

With mortgage rates around 4%, why wouldn't you leave the money in your mutual fund, where even an average return is probably going to exceed that, and finance the home?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #18409
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would actually be paying cash for the house. So no mortgage and I'm told lower closing costs since there's no lender.

Based on the above, No is my answer.

Just a few stream of conscious thoughts.
"Why pay rent"...renters dont pay property tax, structure insurance, cost of home repairs, etc etc etc
Roomate...if not of the opposite sex and include benefits that would be a hard no for me. YMMV.
The ideal scenario, in my opinion, is a duplex. Where the rent you get for the other side pays a 15 year note on the whole property. lots of benefits here...I can expand if interested.
Paying cash is mathematically a bad move. Unless there is considerable emotional value its the wrong choice, imho. Interest rates are sub 4%, then you get to deduct mortgage interest making the effective rate somewhere closer to 3% depending on your income level...thats before you figure any time return value, or liquidity benefit on that cash.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #18410
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Where are you seeing sub 4 interest rates? We are in the midst of the closing process right now. Wife and I have impeccable credit, over 800. Virtually no debt, income well into 6 figures, and putting well over 20% down and lowest we were offered from several lenders was 4.3. Buying in NJ.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #18411
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Where are you seeing sub 4 interest rates? We are in the midst of the closing process right now. Wife and I have impeccable credit, over 800. Virtually no debt, income well into 6 figures, and putting well over 20% down and lowest we were offered from several lenders was 4.3. Buying in NJ.

Yeah, I talked to a lender and they quoted me something like 4.5 and that's with a 20% down payment and a 750 credit score. They said I get dinged because I've only been at my new job for just a couple of months.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #18412
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Mortgage Rates - Family Trust Federal Credit Union

That's one of our banks.

I dont use them for any of my mortgages. I have a loan broker who gets me their rates with no points. Not sure what effect NJ vs SC has on it...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 04-12-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #18413
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola:
I know there are a few folks here who are RE investors as well, and I am probably guilty of assuming everyone is as familiar with that process as I am.

But in very short, if you are talking directly to any lender you are probably paying too much. A mortgage broker, in my experience always gets the best deals Especially for great credit scores as they can package you with a sub prime and lower the cost of their whole portfolio and the subs can cover some of your numbers. (Thats my understanding, I dont work on that side of the equation ever)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #18414
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
"Why pay rent"...renters dont pay property tax, structure insurance, cost of home repairs, etc etc etc

This shouldn't be dismissed. There is an assumption that buying is always better than renting, but that isn't always the case. Especially if you are a single person with roommate (the roommate situation may make me more likely to want to rent as it is easier to get out of the situation if there is a change in circumstance).
Old 04-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #18415
molson
General Manager

Location and timing are important considerations too. You can't always predict it, but your property exploding in value over years is a beautiful thing, while it staying stagnant or decreasing can make ownership not worth it all with all extra costs and stress.

Last edited by molson : 04-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #18416
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Location and timing are important considerations too. You can't always predict it, but your properly exploding in value over years is a beautiful thing, while it staying stagnant or decreasing can make ownership not worth it all with all extra costs and stress.

great point.
Hard if not impossible to time a market. But if you know you arent in it for the long haul, transaction costs can kill the idea of buying too.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #18417
Radii
Head Coach

The last few posts explain pretty well why I rent. I don't want to deal with the extra headaches of owning, I don't know where I want to be long term yet. Honestly, the only pull to buy is that I'm way behind on retirement savings (catching up as fast as I can, but still) and owning my home outright when I'm 65 would make living into retirement age a lot easier.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #18418
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm trying to avoid renting. The last time I had an apartment my neighbor would complain if I played movies above a whisper and then I would hear noises at 3 am like they were moving around furniture. I didn't want to know what was going on up there.

I don't want to deal with land lords or any kind of condo association.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #18419
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm trying to avoid renting. The last time I had an apartment my neighbor would complain if I played movies above a whisper and then I would hear noises at 3 am like they were moving around furniture. I didn't want to know what was going on up there.

I don't want to deal with land lords or any kind of condo association.

I certainly feel that. On the other hand, that kind of conflict is not particularly relegated to renting, I know lots of homeowners who have also invested years of their lives and tons of energy into never-ending disputes with their neighbors. The irony being that you can pretty easily move away from bad apartment neighbors, but if you buy a house without realizing you've got some flavor of bad neighbor on the block, your likely to be stuck in that fight for years.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #18420
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Mortgage Rates - Family Trust Federal Credit Union

That's one of our banks.

I dont use them for any of my mortgages. I have a loan broker who gets me their rates with no points. Not sure what effect NJ vs SC has on it...

I used to shop for rates here.

Compare The Most Current Mortgage Rates | Bankrate®
Old 04-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #18421
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Location and timing are important considerations too. You can't always predict it, but your property exploding in value over years is a beautiful thing, while it staying stagnant or decreasing can make ownership not worth it all with all extra costs and stress.

Tell me about it.

Our first place we bought together was a condo in Seattle. 2 bedroom in Ballard, if you know the city. Great place, loved it. When we moved to Ohio we had to sell it so we could put 20% down on our house there. Since then it's almost doubled in vale and we would have made a fortune, we just weren't in a position at that point in our lives to keep it.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #18422
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I certainly feel that. On the other hand, that kind of conflict is not particularly relegated to renting, I know lots of homeowners who have also invested years of their lives and tons of energy into never-ending disputes with their neighbors. The irony being that you can pretty easily move away from bad apartment neighbors, but if you buy a house without realizing you've got some flavor of bad neighbor on the block, your likely to be stuck in that fight for years.

This is infinitely true. The number one piece of advice I would have for a first time buyer is spend some serious time in the neighborhood before moving forward with a bid, especially at night. Of course you can still get a bad neighbor moving in and you are screwed, but at least you will get an initial feel for it.

Thankfully in LA house prices only ever explode upwards so we still made a nice profit (and were able to rectify the mistake on our second) but yeah. Don’t fall in love with a beautiful house in a bad neighborhood, at least not if you are a light sleeper
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #18423
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I used to live next to an old dude who would leave hostile notes on anybody's car who parked in front of his house, and would spend hours everyday walking around the neighborhood checking the DMV dates on people's license plates and coming up with any reason to call some random authorities at least once a week. I was damn happy to be in an apartment and not a house next to that butthole....so I could move away from him ASAP.

I don't think the odds of having a bad neighbor are necessarily better or worse when living in a house or apartment. Folks tend to think that renters are less respectful in general, but I think it's just as likely that your homeowner neighbors will be overly protective or nosy, regarding their property (and its surroundings)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #18424
Edward64
Head Coach

I think we got lucky in my neighborhood. When we moved in it was full of young adults with families and our kids played nice together. That generation of kids are now late teens or gone off to college and the adults tend to get along.

Now there is an "active adult" section who tends to run for the HOA seats but they are located in another side.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-13-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #18425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

People actually go to the theatre and watch movies about abortions? Sounds like a blast.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #18426
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We have been pretty lucky with neighbors. Our street in Oregon was great. Block parties, everyone watched each others kids, etc...

However it didn't start that way.

We closed on the house 2 weeks before we moved, and I guess the lawn got a bit to long for one passive aggressive neighbor. They somehow contacted our agent, and had her send us a not regarding the lawn, with a suggestion for a landscaper. Mind you, no HOA.

This was my reply to our agent

Quote:
Yvonne- Can you please let our neighbor who is deeply concerned about the hideous state of our lawn know I have Lorenzo coming on Saturday? I asked him if he may be able to come sooner, as I realize the dreadful state of our landscaping casts an irrevocable black eye on all of Evergreen Drive, however his busy schedule and prior commitments do not allow for it.

Can you also reiterate to our caring new neighbor that he has my iron clad promise that I will keep all landscaping looking golf course perfect in the future. This includes any Chia Pets we may acquire through white elephant gift exchanges or any other means.

Finally, can you thank him for taking matters into his own hands for us and saving the neighborhood from the scarring it would have caused had our lawn gone unchecked for a whole 17 days. Please ensure him that despite us both changing jobs, buying a house and selling a house, and moving cross country with 2 young children while trying to make sure all their needs are met once we are there, that our landscaping remains our number one priority.We wouldn't want to offend any of our new neighbors with unsightly shrubbery.

This has been a really great welcome to the neighborhood, as it is a relief to know we have someone ready to let us know if our landscaping isn't keeping up with the rest of the communities. I would say I will repay him, but I am at a loss for what humble gesture I could even offer. So I will just ask you to thank him and assure him it is being addressed.

Brian
Old 04-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #18427
Edward64
Head Coach

The new corvette looks pretty good so far but will hold final judgement until I can see it without the camo. Corvettes have also been a little too "garish (?)" for me.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/mid-eng...-debut-july-18

I'm not a corvette guy. Was a big 300ZX fan back in the 90's. It still looks good IMO but needs a little updating. Supposedly confirmed for a return but who knows when.

Nissan 300ZX - Wikipedia
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #18428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We had nasty storms rip through here last night. It was also garbage night. I’m laying in bed dreading going to check and see if the can tipped over and garbage spread everywhere.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #18429
AlexB
Pro Starter

Supposed to be going on a unique trip tomorrow... however, don’t have confirmation of my visa yet, and my departure airport is likely to be hamstrung by eco warriors. So did the only rational thing and am now moderately oiled. Less concerned at this particular time...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #18430
miami_fan
Coordinator

Has cigarette smoking become this rare? I tend to work in ones on ones and small groups but I do spend a bit of time around larger and diverse groups as well. I have someone doing some work on the house and they just had a cigarette break and I was a bit stunned by my surprise. I am not even discussing the health choice either. I just the act of pulling a cigarette out of the pack, lighting and smoking a cigarette. Vapers, yes. Cigars, yes. Weed, yes. Cigarettes? It might as well have been a pipe.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #18431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Has cigarette smoking become this rare? I tend to work in ones on ones and small groups but I do spend a bit of time around larger and diverse groups as well. I have someone doing some work on the house and they just had a cigarette break and I was a bit stunned by my surprise. I am not even discussing the health choice either. I just the act of pulling a cigarette out of the pack, lighting and smoking a cigarette. Vapers, yes. Cigars, yes. Weed, yes. Cigarettes? It might as well have been a pipe.

Depends on where you are. I have found it has become a very regional thing.

I was just in Vegas, smoking is very much a thing. I have recently lived in Oregon and NJ, Oregon it is virtually non existent, and in NJ, it is pretty rare. Before those I lived in Ohio and it is more common, head south to Kentucky and it's rampant.

I think education is a huge part of it, or lack thereof. I just did 3 different google searches. Least educated states, most obese states, states that smoke the most. The top 5 in all three are nearly identical.

I think overall it is more rare, which is why I have a similar reaction when I smell it. I also am amazed whenever I see someone under 50 smoking, given what we know.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-19-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #18432
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mike Pence is in a house that's maybe a thousand feet away from me, if that, right now. I've had to clear the Secret Service checkpoint twice now, just to get to our rental.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #18433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So tired of kids being used in local car dealership commercials.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #18434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Mike Pence is in a house that's maybe a thousand feet away from me, if that, right now. I've had to clear the Secret Service checkpoint twice now, just to get to our rental.

Better put The lady in a burka so he is not corrupted.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #18435
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was there a ground swell of support for changing the DL to the IL? Were disabled people campaigning for this change?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #18436
bhlloy
Coordinator

I love that the advert for Microsoft AI highlights Carlsberg. The thought that we need the advances of AI and the resources of a public cloud to make the most generic, piss tasting and boring beer in the entire galaxy makes me chuckle for some reason.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #18437
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If anyone wants to start a class action for the 2-4” of missing nerds rope from every package, I’m in.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:08 PM   #18438
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Better put The lady in a burka so he is not corrupted.

We had to just bail and leave to avoid any issues.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #18439
miami_fan
Coordinator

I took my son to the park to shoot hoops and ended up watching guys playing pickup ball. It has been a while since I have been out there but the three point shot obsession has made it out there too? In a game to 15, I think I saw two drives to the hoop.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #18440
miami_fan
Coordinator

I forgot the label.

OLD MAN RANT!

Carry on
Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #18441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Was there a ground swell of support for changing the DL to the IL? Were disabled people campaigning for this change?

Yep. To the latter that is.

Disabled list or injury list? MLB changes the name at the suggestion of disability advocates

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-22-2019 at 06:18 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #18442
tarcone
Coordinator

I do like the change to 10 days.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #18443
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I took my son to the park to shoot hoops and ended up watching guys playing pickup ball. It has been a while since I have been out there but the three point shot obsession has made it out there too? In a game to 15, I think I saw two drives to the hoop.

If they are playing 1s and 2s you should shoot a ton of 3s.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #18444
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post

Yep. Besides that the 3 ha dramatically changed the game.

I would love to have seen Scott Skiles in the 3 point era

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #18445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just had a pint of blood removed and I feel, less than awesome.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #18446
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yep. Besides that the 3 ha dramatically changed the game.

I would love to have seen Scott Skiles in the 3 point era

To each his own I guess. Inside the gym, absolutely. Outside? Drive to the basket.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #18447
Izulde
Head Coach

Take Your Kids To Work Day is a fresh hell when interaction is expected.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #18448
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ya know, I'm a reasonably intelligent person. My wife is a 3rd/4th grade teacher.

When we can't figure out between us what the fuck my 2nd grader's math homework is even ASKING, there's a problem.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #18449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Ya know, I'm a reasonably intelligent person. My wife is a 3rd/4th grade teacher.

When we can't figure out between us what the fuck my 2nd grader's math homework is even ASKING, there's a problem.

funny you should mention this. Not an hour ago my son busted me googling how to check his homework. He is in 3rd grade.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #18450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Is that the aroma of common core math I smell?