Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #13401
molson
General Manager

$22 million to a good cause is worth "aggravation to millions". Maybe if billions are "aggravated" we can raise even more. I'd be all for it. If people pouring water on their head distresses you that much you probably have things pretty good.

Last edited by molson : 08-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #13402
lungs
Pro Rookie

I don't see how anybody could use social media and not expect to be aggravated? I see some of the absolute dumbest shit every single day on Facebook. If you've ever seen some of the people I've posted about in the Facebook posts thread, I'm sure you could imagine what they are sharing when they are not airing their trailer park soap operas for the world to see.

In terms of stupid shit that I see on social media, the ice bucket challenge is hardly anything to get aggravated about.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #13403
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The Decision wasn't about raising money. It had its own impact, regardless of charity. No one is criticizing LeBron raising money with the Decision. Everyone criticized LeBron about the sports impact of the Decision and the manner in which he chose to do it.
And this is where we differ. For a majority, the "icebucket challenge" isn't about raising money as the participants neither A) explain what ALS is or even give a link at where to donate or B) actually make a donation themselves. Look at the numbers on number of donors vs. Movies on Facebook.

What bothers me is that the icebucket challenge isn't about raising awareness for ALS - it's about a bunch of people saying "Look at me, I just dumped ice on my head for some charity I know nothing about nor will even mention/explain. Aren't I cool?!!!" But, as it has been said above, this Definately falls into "first world problems".

Last edited by Arles : 08-19-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #13404
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
And this is where we differ. For a majority, the "icebucket challenge" isn't about raising money as the participants neither A) explain what ALS is or even give a link at where to donate or B) actually make a donation themselves. Look at the numbers on number of donors vs. Movies on Facebook.

What bothers me is that the icebucket challenge isn't about raising awareness for ALS - it's about a bunch of people saying "Look at me, I just dumped ice on my head for some charity I know nothing about nor will even mention/explain. Aren't I cool?!!!" But, as it has been said above, this Definately falls into "first world problems".

You're right that's where we differ. I see the same things that you do, and I agree with you that that's what they're doing. The difference is I don't care, because maybe while they're being asshats, some people are seeing that and donating. And now ALS is up $22 M in donations as a result, even though it was fueled in large part by a group of people trying to get likes on Facebook.

I find it hard to be bothered about a bunch of self-serving, look at me types doing their thing when their actions, regardless of their actual intentions, contributed to a movement which generated more for this charity in a month than it got in all of 2013. That's why I say to those people are bothered--IMO, that's a you thing. That's not anyone's issue but your own, because what these people are doing certainly has no impact on you whatsoever unless you or a family member has ALS (and if you do, well, then, I would say net positive there for sure).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #13405
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
You're right that's where we differ. I see the same things that you do, and I agree with you that that's what they're doing. The difference is I don't care, because maybe while they're being asshats, some people are seeing that and donating. And now ALS is up $22 M in donations as a result, even though it was fueled in large part by a group of people trying to get likes on Facebook.
Sounds exactly like the defense of Lebron during the decision: Acting like an asshat but the net gain of 5+ million to charity means we should overlook his behavior. I guess this is my main criticism in the process. I am not a fan of self-serving/ego acts that are shrouded in the garb of charity. But, maybe the millions to charity make the ends justify the means. It's just interesting very few argued that when it came to the Decision.

Now, there are some people taking this seriously - and I have a friend who lost a family member to ALS. She explained the disease and charity in her video and posted a link of where to donate (as well as donating herself). I had absolutely no problem with her video. But hers was a stark difference from the rank and file I've seen on Facebook - most don't even mention ALS.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #13406
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sounds exactly like the defense of Lebron during the decision: Acting like an asshat but the net gain of 5+ million to charity means we should overlook his behavior. I guess this is my main criticism in the process. I am not a fan of self-serving/ego acts that are shrouded in the garb of charity. But, maybe the millions to charity make the ends justify the means. It's just interesting very few argued that when it came to the Decision.

Now, there are some people taking this seriously - and I have a friend who lost a family member to ALS. She explained the disease and charity in her video and posted a link of where to donate (as well as donating herself). I had absolutely no problem with her video. But hers was a stark difference from the rank and file I've seen on Facebook - most don't even mention ALS.

Maybe you should take issue with the people you follow on FB being asshats then? Particularly in light of your friend's loss (my condolences). Seems like you're missing an opportunity to educate them because you'd rather play the "grumpy old man" card.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #13407
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If they were the exception and not the rule - I would. Unfortunately, the rank and file are not like my friend's. I guess that is one of the main reasons I'm bothered by it. I feel like the charity is an afterthought for most who do videos.

Still, I think this has taken it's course and I've enough.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #13408
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

See, that's what bugs me, is that you keep equating these two situations and mixing the reactions to them. They are apples and oranges. People didn't let LeBron get away with his actions as a means to charitable ends because he wasn't just dumping an ice bucket on his head and making a small donation, acts which in and of themselves are very tiny and affect almost no one besides LeBron. Lebron's action was to switch teams in a farce of a sit down interview, announcing a decision that not only massively impacted the sports world and the emotions of millions of fans, but also impacted the pocket books of millions of both fans and businessmen as well, all over the NBA world.

I just don't understand how you can equate the Decision to an ice bucket challenge. They are just massively different things, and just because both involve charity doesn't make them any closer to being the same thing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #13409
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
See, that's what bugs me, is that you keep equating these two situations and mixing the reactions to them. They are apples and oranges. People didn't let LeBron get away with his actions as a means to charitable ends because he wasn't just dumping an ice bucket on his head and making a small donation, acts which in and of themselves are very tiny and affect almost no one besides LeBron. Lebron's action was to switch teams in a farce of a sit down interview, announcing a decision that not only massively impacted the sports world and the emotions of millions of fans, but also impacted the pocket books of millions of both fans and businessmen as well, all over the NBA world.
But good players switch teams either via forced trades or FA all the time. Very few were upset at Lebron for going to Cleveland this offseason or Dwight Howard going to Houston last offseason. Yet, according to your definition, both "massively impacted the sports world and the emotions of millions of fans". The outrage was in the way it was handled. That's kind of my issue with the icebucket videos. It's not that people are doing a stunt for charity (ie, players switching teams via FA), it's the manner with which they are doing it (ie, the format of the Decision). I just think it's a little self-serving and tacky. Yet, life will go on and I'm sure I'll find plenty of tacky things on facebook not releated to dumping ice next week. This isn't really a massive issue, it was just a minor annoyance and one I felt wasn't big enough for its own thread - but worked here
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #13410
Logan
Head Coach

I'll say it for the third time...you need better friends. I've seen literally none of the things you claim to see in your 20 or 30 person sample.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #13411
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's some levity:
Old 08-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #13412
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF HOLDING A FUCKING WEBINAR SAYING

"OH THE DEADLINE FOR THIS WAS AUGUST 12, AND THE DEADLINE FOR THIS OTHER THING WAS JULY 31ST, BUT HERE'S ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT IT."

FUCK YOU SEC & MSRB
Old 08-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #13413
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF HOLDING A FUCKING WEBINAR SAYING

"OH THE DEADLINE FOR THIS WAS AUGUST 12, AND THE DEADLINE FOR THIS OTHER THING WAS JULY 31ST, BUT HERE'S ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT IT."

FUCK YOU SEC & MSRB

Breathe. Relax. Think of a beautiful woman and a tropical beach. Relax.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #13414
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Breathe. Relax. Think of a beautiful woman and a tropical beach. Relax.

Yeah - that's the kind of vacation I need.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #13415
thesloppy
Pro Starter

More than once I've been scanning my TV listings, I see "PIGMAN", and then I get all excited and flip the channel, and am crushingly disappointed when I realize it's a show about a dude hunting pigs......I'm not even exactly sure what I was hoping to see, but that's not it.

Semi-related: watching the Sportsman/Outdoor networks is like taking a short trip to Bizarro world, in terms of the political/cultural shift, when compared to nearly every other station on the TV. Ads for guns and synthetic deer estrus scents and the NRA, and everybody's got an accent and a bad '90s goatee, it's disorienting, but fascinating to this yankee. Also ex-FOFCer Cam Edwards apparently has an hour-long news program on the Sportsman Network every night.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-19-2014 at 05:00 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #13416
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Expecting something more like this?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #13417
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Definitely!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #13418
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tweeted by @LouBrutus (SiriusXM personality/programmer)
Quote:
I just watched a cat pour a bucketful of mice over his head.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #13419
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Based on all of the videos I see of friends and family using bowls and pots and pans, I am surprised to realize how few people actually own buckets.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #13420
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Based on all of the videos I see of friends and family using bowls and pots and pans, I am surprised to realize how few people actually own buckets.

With no buckets, my wife and I were going to use large pots to do it in our apartment bathroom, but knowing we were going to my in laws the next day, waited until then to do it in open space. Went to grab a couple of their buckets and saw all the dried dirt and chemicals inside and ended up using a pot and a toy bucket anyway.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #13421
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

My sister nominated me so I'll be doing it soon. The bucket we have is used for cleaning purposes and has had several different chemicals in it. Not dumping that on my head.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #13422
stevew
Hall Of Famer

an Orange bucket at home depot is like 3 bux.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #13423
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
an Orange bucket at home depot is like 3 bux.

What's wrong with you? That 3 bux could be donated to the cause instead.

Not to mention the value of the gas used.

Last edited by Logan : 08-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #13424
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My sister nominated me so I'll be doing it soon. The bucket we have is used for cleaning purposes and has had several different chemicals in it. Not dumping that on my head.

#ChemicalBucketChallenge
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #13425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What's wrong with you? That 3 bux could be donated to the cause instead.

Not to mention the value of the gas used.

Damn, and I was planning on paying someone the Local 600 daily union rate to film it and was freezing Voss water into ice cubes as we speak.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #13426
lungs
Pro Rookie

Suppose this is as good a spot as any...

A friend and neighbor of mine was shot and killed last night (accidentally) by his own brother on a bear hunting trip in Canada. Same area that I posted bear videoes a month ago.

We're pretty numb in the neighborhood. He was the right hand man of the farmer up the road from me. My dad is on his way to Canada right now to pick up the brother who has to be an absolute mess right now.

August sucks. Lost both of my grandfathers in August, along with one of my best friends two years ago on August 18th. I think I'm going to hibernate through August from now on.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #13427
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wow...man you are in my prayers.
Gotta be tough.

January is that way for me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #13428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yuck. Sorry to hear Lungs.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #13429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So this Friday marks the first official week of HS football in Georgia for a few dozen teams (several hundred will start the following week). Here's the heat index map for Friday:

Spoiler tagged due to size
Spoiler

F'n stupid ass early school start dates.

edit to add: For those not into pictures, 93 in Blairsville (extreme NE GA mountains) to 111 in Savannah. We'll open on the road in east-central Georgia where the heat index is expected to be a nipppy 103.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-20-2014 at 10:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #13430
bhlloy
Coordinator

The person who designed the key for the 09 Altima should be taken outside and shot. The alarm button is oversized, not indented in any way and is at the bottom where you have to attach to the keyring, so any kind of pressure on your keys sets it off instantly. I can set it off just walking with keys in my pocket sometimes.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #13431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The person who designed the key for the 09 Altima should be taken outside and shot. The alarm button is oversized, not indented in any way and is at the bottom where you have to attach to the keyring, so any kind of pressure on your keys sets it off instantly. I can set it off just walking with keys in my pocket sometimes.

Keys in General have become insanely over complicated. Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #13432
Logan
Head Coach

ALS donations over the last 24 days are up to $41.8MM, with $10.3MM coming in yesterday alone. 740,000 new donors over that period.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #13433
korme
Go Reds

Did my challenge yesterday and donated. Funny that Subby liked my video - I was this close to nominating him, to spread the challenges to the FOFC world.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #13434
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
ALS donations over the last 24 days are up to $41.8MM, with $10.3MM coming in yesterday alone. 740,000 new donors over that period.

But...but...I thought this was just people screwing around on social media and nobody actually was donating!?!?!?!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #13435
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've mentioned here before that one of my mentors passed away from ALS a few years back. So far people from my old high school have raised nearly $300K from the ice bucket challenge. That is over 6 times the amount raised over the past seven years in the Walk To Defeat ALS events.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #13436
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize that my credit score is closing in on 800.

Good shit.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #13437
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
#ChemicalBucketChallenge

This made me laugh.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #13438
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
I didn't realize that my credit score is closing in on 800.

Good shit.

809 last time I checked. That's why the mortgage company paid me $2k to get my mortgage - nothing like bringing up the average so the bundle is easier to sell.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #13439
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

809 last time I checked. That's why the mortgage company paid me $2k to get my mortgage - nothing like bringing up the average so the bundle is easier to sell.

I'm only at 778, but all of my things dragging the score down is basically average age of account stuff which I really can't do much about. I just have to wait for things to season, maybe open a couple more accounts, and get my credit limits raised on the existing accounts, and that's all i can do.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #13440
chadritt
High School Varsity

I made the mistake of never owing anyone money: no loans for college, bought my car cash, etc...so Im only at 680 now. Ive got a credit card that im apparently still not using enough and im thinking i may need to get a second one just to boost my rating.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #13441
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
I made the mistake of never owing anyone money: no loans for college, bought my car cash, etc...so Im only at 680 now. Ive got a credit card that im apparently still not using enough and im thinking i may need to get a second one just to boost my rating.

Yeah - I was around 700 for a long time because I was like you chadritt. Having two cards and paying them off in full every month (even with low limits on them) has really been what's boosted me up I guess.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #13442
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Seems like I randomly fluctuate between 780 and 805 going on 2 years now. I've been pretty much putting everything I can on a credit card since I was a teenager. Never bought anything I couldn't pay off immediately.

Never really got the people who refuse to use a credit card, unless they just straight don't trust themselves to exercise a small amount of self control.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #13443
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

Do what I do. Use your personal card to book $10k of business travel every month and then pay it off at the end of the month.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #13444
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Never really got the people who refuse to use a credit card, unless they just straight don't trust themselves to exercise a small amount of self control.

That was pretty much me I guess. I was irresponsible with one once when I was in college (not horrible or anything - I mean those all have real low limits, but it gave me an idea of how bad it could be) and so I just overreacted in the other direction.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #13445
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Do what I do. Use your personal card to book $10k of business travel every month and then pay it off at the end of the month.

Ha, I did this when I was traveling a lot. Loved those points.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #13446
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you travel for work this is actually a great idea. I've dedicated one of my cards strictly as my "for business" personal card.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #13447
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah - I was around 700 for a long time because I was like you chadritt. Having two cards and paying them off in full every month (even with low limits on them) has really been what's boosted me up I guess.

About how long before you noticed a change? Im not looking at buying a place any time soon but maybe in the next 2 or 3 years.

Edit: I have an A rating in everything except Age of credit history and Total Accounts

Last edited by chadritt : 08-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #13448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Wife and I put everything we possibly can on our miles card. We are both over 800. I don't pay interest on anything except out mortgage, which has a really low rate.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #13449
sabotai
General Manager

I've gone back to using my card for most things. The way I exercise a small amount of self control is to make up a shopping list every time I go to store and don't let myself deviate from it. It's working well so far, but "self control" has never been something I've been especially good at.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #13450
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wife and I put everything we possibly can on our miles card. We are both over 800. I don't pay interest on anything except out mortgage, which has a really low rate.

Same. We just don't have $10K worth of expenses per month. It's more between $1K and $2K most months.

I also do a little card churning but not much. Between my Chase Sapphire and Chase Marriott signup bonuses and some spending on each, we saved over $4K on our trip to Russia last year (over $2K each for flight and hotel room)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-21-2014 at 02:03 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote