NFL Week 16 Thread

....and going strait from the Wk 15 thread, Ryan is starting McElroy this week

Mark Sanchez of New York Jets benched, Greg McElroy to start - ESPN New York

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

A few weeks too late. At this point you may as well see what McElroy can do for you for the final two games.

Vikings and Texans -- Looking forward to that one.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Go Colts and Redskins. Let's make the playoffs!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Seattle vs. SF.
NYG vs. Balt.
Cinci vs. Pitts.

Are the other key games.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Let's see if the Bengals will ever fucking beat the Steelers in a game that matters.

I'm betting "no".
Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

no thursday or monday night games this week? but a sat night game? wierd! looks like week 17 is all on sunday....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
no thursday or monday night games this week? but a sat night game? wierd! looks like week 17 is all on sunday....

They shifted the Monday night game to Saturday because of Christmas Eve.

Not sure why there is no Thursday night game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

I believe there are also 11 early games vs 3 late games.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I believe there are also 11 early games vs 3 late games.

I fucking hate this shit. As much as I've liked having sunday ticket, it absolutely blows when you get all the good games a the same time and have to watch the Broncos or Pats at 4 with Phil fucking Simms. Or you can switch over to some Cardinals travesty.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
A few weeks too late. At this point you may as well see what McElroy can do for you for the final two games.

Vikings and Texans -- Looking forward to that one.

Looking forward to seeing how close Peterson can get to the rushing record this week and being one game closer to getting rid of Ponder.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Looking forward to seeing how close Peterson can get to the rushing record this week and being one game closer to getting rid of Ponder.

With the Saints and my fantasy team both eliminated from further relevant play, the two things for which I am rooting for the remainder of this regular season is AP getting the record and RGIII making the playoffs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
With the Saints and my fantasy team both eliminated from further relevant play, the two things for which I am rooting for the remainder of this regular season is AP getting the record and RGIII making the playoffs.

Same. I'd like to see Washington make the playoffs even if it comes down to them or the Vikings for the last spot for the chance to see RGIII play. Plus its but like the Vikings can do anything in the postseason without a QB anyway.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I fucking hate this shit. As much as I've liked having sunday ticket, it absolutely blows when you get all the good games a the same time and have to watch the Broncos or Pats at 4 with Phil fucking Simms. Or you can switch over to some Cardinals travesty.

All the more reason to just cancel the Ticket and stick with Red Zone. When there are that many games going on at once, I'd rather someone else do the work for me instead of trying to figure out what I should be watching. Unless you're getting it because you're a fan of an out of market team, I don't see the point with the way the NFL schedules now.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
All the more reason to just cancel the Ticket and stick with Red Zone. When there are that many games going on at once, I'd rather someone else do the work for me instead of trying to figure out what I should be watching. Unless you're getting it because you're a fan of an out of market team, I don't see the point with the way the NFL schedules now.

I believe you can no longer get the DirecTV version of Red Zone without subscribing to Sunday Tickect plus some $100 add-on.
Masked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wanna watch the Steelers game for sure, but it's not guaranteed where I live. I typically get almost every game though, but occasionally we get the Browns.

I also want to watch liberal doses of guys like RG3 and Peterson as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
I believe you can no longer get the DirecTV version of Red Zone without subscribing to Sunday Tickect plus some $100 add-on.

Seems like there's no real reason to have DirecTV at that point then...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Quote:
Seems like there's no real reason to have DirecTV at that point then...

Both correct. We keep it because mom was unhappy with her last experience with Time Warner and refuses to switch back. If it were up to me I'd have gone back to cable once I knew I could get Red Zone. Sunday Ticket monopoly was the only reason I cared about DirecTV in the first place.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

$100 add-on? Hrm, I'll have to investigate that. We get the Siciliano Red Zone and I don't recall signing up for anything beyond the regular Sunday Ticket.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
$100 add-on? Hrm, I'll have to investigate that. We get the Siciliano Red Zone and I don't recall signing up for anything beyond the regular Sunday Ticket.

Sunday Ticket price was dropped this year, but "Sunday Ticket Max" was $100 more than the regular Sunday Ticket and was the only way to get Red Zone Channel and some other stuff that I forget since I was only interested in Red Zone Channel in the first place.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
lungs
Pro Rookie

That $100 add on is free if you call and threaten to cancel Sunday Ticket altogether...
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I pay $9 per month for the Red Zone Channel through Comcast. I order it week one and cancel it week 17, so it ends up costing about $40 in total.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Sunday Ticket price was dropped this year, but "Sunday Ticket Max" was $100 more than the regular Sunday Ticket and was the only way to get Red Zone Channel and some other stuff that I forget since I was only interested in Red Zone Channel in the first place.

Yeah, I'd heard that the regular price was going down, but I thought the extra $100 was for the all-22. I'll have to ask my wife about it, but I don't remember her saying anything about the extra, only the discount.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
General Mike
Pro Starter

Giants need to win, so they won't
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

Forget Tebowing

Adorable little girl raps about Colin Kaepernick | Yardbarker.com
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The standings page on nfl.com has a key saying that x means clinched playoffs, and y means clinched wild card. I'm not sure if they intend there to be a difference between the two. I'd think if they were, it would be that "y" means you will definitely be a wild card, but can't win your division -- if you've clinched at least a wild card, you'd be an "x". However, no one is an "x" and San Francisco and Baltimore, both on top of their division, are the only "y" teams in the standings.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nick Wright, a local sports radio host here in KC, is reporting that his Chiefs source is saying that both Crennel and Pioli have been informed that they will be let go at the end of the season.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Nick Wright, a local sports radio host here in KC, is reporting that his Chiefs source is saying that both Crennel and Pioli have been informed that they will be let go at the end of the season.

For the best for multiple reasons.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #28
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Giants need to win, so they won't

I *think* they still control their own destiny as far as making the playoffs go.

1. They wouldn't be in the playoffs today because they lose the divisional tiebreaker to both Dallas and Washington. Dallas loses the wild card (non-division) tiebreaker to the Vikings.

2. Dallas and Washington still play each other meaning if the Giants win out and either Dallas or Washington win out, the Giants finish 2nd in the division.

3. The Giants didn't play the Bears or the Vikings this year. After head to head the next tiebreaker for non-divisional teams in conference record. If the Giants win out, they'll finish with a better conference record then the Vikings and the Bears.

So even though the Vikings would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, I don't believe the Vikings control their own destiny.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sadly, IF the Vikings were to make the playoffs Ponder will still be starting next year. The Vikings front office isnt smart enough to realize that AD and the OLine has made him from being the worst QB(other than Ryan Leaf) to ever play the game into just a sorry excuse of a starting QB.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

New York Jets to shop Mark Sanchez, part ways with Tim Tebow, according to sources - ESPN New York
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #31
mckerney
Coordinator

Well, he'd be an upgrade in Minnesota at least...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #32
Desnudo
Coordinator

Tebow Peterson option would be pretty interesting
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

I hope the NFL parts ways with Tebow.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #34
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Tebow should have taken teh Jacksonville job, then he would have started a bunch of games instead of a certain ex-Miami QB

Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

And Drew Stanton should have stuck it out with the Jets, because he'd be getting the start now instead of becoming the next Jim Sorgi.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Tebow should have taken teh Jacksonville job, then he would have started a bunch of games instead of a certain ex-Miami QB

If he's simply dumped, you have to figure they would be looking to add him.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

NFL admits officials, replay assistant screwed up on 49ers fumble | ProFootballTalk

Quote:
During the first quarter of Sunday’s 49ers-Patriots game, San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick hit Delanie Walker with a pass, and New England’s Steve Gregory hit Walker just as he grabbed the ball, knocking it loose. Aqib Talib picked the ball up, and the officials ruled it a fumble recovered by the Patriots.

One problem: Walker never had possession of the ball. Another problem: The replay assistant who is supposed to review all turnovers and tell the referee to take a closer look at the close calls never told the ref to review the play.

The officials got the play wrong on the field, but NFL director of instant replay Dean Blandino placed the blame on the replay assistant in an appearance on NFL Network.

“This actually never went to review,” Blandino said. “The replay official confirmed it upstairs without bringing the referee over. And that’s a mistake. We need to bring the referee over.”
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Flem File Adrian Peterson Calvin Johnson break Dickerson Rice records - ESPN
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

That is what made me give up Sunday Ticket. By the time I'm home from Church on Sunday there were days when I had two choices in the afternoon.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

TO be fair ot Tebow, i can understand why he might not want to go home with that much pressure, media, and such from his family, hometown, school, and colege all rigth there. it might be the wise thing to go elsewhere to avoid those distractions while focusing on the job at hand.

The counter to that is that he's Tebow - everyone will be like that no matte rwhere he is, jacksonville his hometown no different.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Abe's "instant" turnaround plan for the Jags:

Trade for Alex Smith hard core.
Sign the shit out of OT Long - don't let anyone outbid your ass
Draft the defensive draft you need + a good OG in the 2nd-4th round.

Now you have Alex Smith, Maurice Jones-Drew, Marcedes Lewis, Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts - you are set for a year or two at these key positions. You have Long, a strong C, half way decent other O Line,

You have a good P and K

You keep Babin, who has looked better than anything you have alredy, and you have good LBs with Daryl Smith back in the lineup and the others who have developed - add one good draft on top, and you are rocking.

Now you can begin to compete with the Colts and Texans in the AFC South.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I hope the NFL parts ways with Tebow.

Current qbs Tebow is clearly better than: anyone in Arizona, other 2 jets, Gabbert, Ponder, henne, weeden. So he'll be around for a while.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #43
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure he's better than any of those. I think he's probably as good a QB as Gronkowski is.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #44
Desnudo
Coordinator

Pretty sure he is...
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
mckerney
Coordinator

In the Vikings last six games, Christian Ponder has completed one pass in 23 attempts 15 yards or more downfield. During that time, 40 other players have completed multiple passes of those distances. Ponder's last completion 15 yards or more came in Week 10 against the Lions.

"Hello New York Jets, we'll take one of your quarterbacks please. Really doesn't matter which one..."
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #46
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
In the Vikings last six games, Christian Ponder has completed one pass in 23 attempts 15 yards or more downfield. During that time, 40 other players have completed multiple passes of those distances. Ponder's last completion 15 yards or more came in Week 10 against the Lions.

"Hello New York Jets, we'll take one of your quarterbacks please. Really doesn't matter which one..."

This is blatant favoritism for the Jets. The Dolphins have had mediocre to bad QB for years and you never offered to take one of ours!

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #47
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

James Harrison is an idiot. "A life threatening issue to me is going low and blowing out someone's knee. Now the player can't feed his family."

Yeah, that is much more life threatening than a potential head and neck injury...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Ponder's last completion 15 yards or more came in Week 10 against the Lions.

Of course it did.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
James Harrison is an idiot. "A life threatening issue to me is going low and blowing out someone's knee. Now the player can't feed his family."

Yeah, that is much more life threatening than a potential head and neck injury...

Was the Mayan prediction off, and rather than the end of the world, it just sends us back like 24 months?

Isn't this what he said after the Mohamed Massaquoi hit?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
mckerney
Coordinator

Oh my god, how did the Jets let this happen?

McElroy: Everything I know about playing QB I learned from Sanchez | ProFootballTalk