Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #2751
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Everyone knew what was coming with the Hart angle, but I thought the "cast on the table" reveal was really well done.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #2752
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Have not seen this week yet but I can say that over the last few weeks I have been very disappointed. I was hopefule after the 1st Monday night show back in Jan. This stuff is getting a bit old. Let the young guys come out and wrestle. Too much stupid stuff going on for me. And the constant teasing that Hogan is good... No no he is bad... No No he is good... Needs to pay off ASAP and move on...

Yeah, I hope they finally resolve this at the PPV, maybe have Bischoff align with Sting or Hall / Waltman and turn on Hogan.

I do agree I want to see things more like ECW, simple angles and solid wrestling / brawls / whatever. And for gods sake, let the Dudleys work Beer Money, Saggs is still in decent shape, but Knobbs blows up giving a promo and has no business being in the ring.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #2753
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I was wondering how long it had been since the number was this bad.

from tnawrestlingnews.com
Monday's TNA iMPACT! rating of .84 is the lowest rating for iMPACT! since November of 2006. Back then, Impact was airing in a late-night Thursday timeslot, not in prime-time.

The perfect storm of Austin/Bret/Vince going up against a taped Impact was pretty much every bit as bad as expected. Not a single quarter-hour reached a 1.0 and the main event (Styles vs Hardy) was the lowest rated segment of the show.

The highest rated quarter hour, for the second week in a row incidentally, involved The Beautiful People. That might seem coincidental but I have my doubts that's entirely the case when you recall that Kong's segments were consistently the highest rated as well and on weeks when she didn't appear it was normally some Knockout segment.

I would say that not going full steam ahead with the Monday night shows after all the buzz that Hulk Hogans return to Monday created was a huge mistake/potential nail in the coffin for TNA on Monday night. I would also question the decision to return to Monday during the WWE's build to Wrestlemania, if they weren't going to ride the momentum of Hogan's return(they got me to tune in for a few segments and they got a bunch of older WCW fans I know to tune in. The type of WCW fan that hadn't watched wrestling since WCW folded and that still has no freaking idea that TNA is back on Mondays again) they should have waited until after Wrestlemania had concluded and WWE went into their summer build to nothing.

All in all I would say it was just another in a line of huge TNA missteps that has kept them from being competitive on the National stage.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #2754
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

DOLA

I wonder if TNA sticks around on Mondays if they will gain market share after Wrestlemania and the aftermath is over.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #2755
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
DOLA

I wonder if TNA sticks around on Mondays if they will gain market share after Wrestlemania and the aftermath is over.

I would say they have a shot if they cut down some of the non-wrestling stuff and let their guys do what they do best, wrestle. They also need to jump into the Monday night slot with both feet and go live every week, it killed them having a taped show on the second week.

I know it could never happen with the Bischoff/Hogan there, but I think they would have benefitted from bringing in Heyman and letting Russo go as I think Paul would have done wonders with that talent, especially not needing to worry about the business side if things.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #2756
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah this Hulk Hogan thing I can do without. They basically took a league full of wrestlers who are great at wrestling and turned them into a circus act. At one point they'll realize that Abyss is a terrible Hulkster, and Styles is a terrible Flair, and by that time Hogan and Bischoff will already have made their money and will be laughing all the way to the bank.

There have been so many fundamental character changes to the wrestlers over the past 2 years that the fans have no investment left in the characters. I mean, just a while ago AJ Styles was madly in love with Karen Angle and was basically a lackey to Kurt. Then he changes and we're supposed to take him seriously as a world title contender? Then after that, we're supposed to forget that he's a family man and a great guy and believe that he's the next Nature Boy?

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #2757
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Yeah this Hulk Hogan thing I can do without. They basically took a league full of wrestlers who are great at wrestling and turned them into a circus act. At one point they'll realize that Abyss is a terrible Hulkster, and Styles is a terrible Flair, and by that time Hogan and Bischoff will already have made their money and will be laughing all the way to the bank.

There have been so many fundamental character changes to the wrestlers over the past 2 years that the fans have no investment left in the characters. I mean, just a while ago AJ Styles was madly in love with Karen Angle and was basically a lackey to Kurt. Then he changes and we're supposed to take him seriously as a world title contender? Then after that, we're supposed to forget that he's a family man and a great guy and believe that he's the next Nature Boy?

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

But hey, now we get to watch Nash & Young (where are Crosby & Stills) take on Hall & Waltman. Now THAT'S entertainment.

As much as I'd like to blame Hogan, Eric, Russo, et al, the bottom line is that the blame really lies with the 3rd-rate-star obsessed worthless sack of shit whose daddy bought her a company.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #2758
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
But hey, now we get to watch Nash & Young (where are Crosby & Stills) take on Hall & Waltman. Now THAT'S entertainment.

As much as I'd like to blame Hogan, Eric, Russo, et al, the bottom line is that the blame really lies with the 3rd-rate-star obsessed worthless sack of shit whose daddy bought her a company.

Good point, she is the one basically letting them run wild, no pun intended.

I think Bischoff does a good in the Heel boss role, but does anybody really want to see him in every 2nd or 3rd fucking segment? Also, it's about time it started to go somewhere vs him just being a random jerk to the Jarrett's and Foley's of the company.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #2759
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Real good Bret Hart documentary available on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAJl45o5Fc

Lots of footage and stories from the early days, right through to Bret's decision to come back this year.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #2760
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

< 30 Minutes to Wrestlemania!!!

I arrived back here in Manila two hours ago... an 18-hour ride across the Pacific and complete lack of sleep ain't gonna stop me from watching this one.

Very excited about the entire card.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #2761
DeToxRox
Head Coach

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #2762
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

That. Was. Awesome.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #2763
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

I thought it was a bit underwhelming. I remember being blown away by last year's match, and not as much this year...
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #2764
Schmidty
Coordinator

That sucked balls. Glad I didn't pay for it.

I am seriously so tired of the UT.

Last edited by Schmidty : 03-28-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #2765
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
I thought it was a bit underwhelming. I remember being blown away by last year's match, and not as much this year...

That was amazing. Keep in mind Undertaker had his hip replaced since last year's WM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #2766
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
That was amazing. Keep in mind Undertaker had his hip replaced since last year's WM.

I agree that the match was very good. I'm just sick of the result. There's almost no point anymore.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #2767
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:

Ah, I don't really know what's been happening. I've watched like 3 Raws since last year's Wrestlemania.

With the lack of mindblowing spots, it became apparent that Undertaker was going to win, and that the match was more about Michaels' retirement.

Perhaps I overhyped this to myself... I remember thinking last year's match was the best I had seen in 10 years. This was just a great match, but not at the same level.

But damn, I can't believe Michaels' career is over. It's as if my childhood is dying!
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #2768
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Awesome main event.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #2769
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post

But damn, I can't believe Michaels' career is over. It's as if my childhood is dying!

I highly doubt that his career is over. He'll be back after a few months.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #2770
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree and while it wasn't at the level of last years it was still damn good, especially considering these guys are both well into their 40s. Michaels sells like nobody in the business, some of the younger guys could learn a lot from him.

Some sick bumps in that ladder match as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #2771
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't watch it, and I'll have to talk to a coworker about it, but was poking around the internet and the matches up to Taker vs. HBK were vastly being viewed as being not worth the money and maybe the worst Wrestlemania.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #2772
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I highly doubt that his career is over. He'll be back after a few months.

There's definitely a school of thought that says we'll see him again (and I agree with that), but there also seems to be a good bit of "sources say" that he isn't likely to return for anything more than guest-hosting or a brief one-off feud. Physically he's said to be very worn down.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #2773
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It was a great show from top to bottom.

I think UT and HBK managed to top off their match last year.

edit: Easily the best WM for me since 20.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-29-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #2774
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Impact ratings down to a 0.56, A18-34 down over 50% from the previous week (even I think that one is an anamoly). Raw did a 3.66, up 13% from the previous week, highest rating with M18-49 since January, second highest since last year's post-WM episode.

TNA Wrestling News - Major Update On WWE RAW vs. TNA iMPACT! Ratings
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #2775
BYU 14
Coordinator

Those ratings are painful. I think the one live, one taped approach is killing TNA and they need to rethink that.

Granted the RAW after Wrestlemania is typically spiked in terms of viewers, but TNA can not go on with rating that low.

Next weeks show has some goot matches lined up (A couple PPV quality) so it will be interesting to see how that does....

I still wish they would bring Heyman in though.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #2776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I still wish they would bring Heyman in though.

Did you see last week where Bischoff claimed he asked Paul to come but he turned him down?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #2777
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Did you see last week where Bischoff claimed he asked Paul to come but he turned him down?

I didn't, but if that was a shoot I would have to think he said no because Russo is still there.....and well, so is Bischoff.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #2778
Terps
College Prospect

Ugh... Not looking forward to Smackdown this week.

Spoiler

Last edited by Terps : 03-31-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #2779
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Ugh... Not looking forward to Smackdown this week.

Spoiler

Great way to bring WM momentum to a grinding halt...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #2780
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I didn't, but if that was a shoot I would have to think he said no because Russo is still there.....and well, so is Bischoff.

Mea culpa here, it wasn't Bischoff who said it, it was Russo.
Part of an interview with Russo in The Sun promoting his book, he says
"On Paul Heyman: "Oh, and one last thing, for the record: I called Paul E personally to ask him to join TNA. He declined."

I guess I got my promotion killers mixed up
Old 04-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #2781
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah it seems like the WWE just doesn't know how to promote young talent. They ignore them and job them out constantly, and then all of a sudden super push them and expect the crowd to embrace the wrestlers. It just doesn't work.

The weirdest thing is that TNA applies that same theory to ALL of their wrestlers, pushing, depushing, turning them constantly and wondering why the fans don't feel any emotional connection to ANYBODY.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #2782
molson
General Manager

Chris Kanyon is dead - apparently a suicide.

He had a very strange career. He was lower-midcard kind of guy who had a couple of brushes with major superstardum, first with DDP in WCW, and then during the invasion in the WWF.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #2783
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Chris Kanyon is dead - apparently a suicide.

He had a very strange career. He was lower-midcard kind of guy who had a couple of brushes with major superstardum, first with DDP in WCW, and then during the invasion in the WWF.
Didn't he come out as gay, and at one point try to promote himself as the world's first openly gay athlete?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #2784
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Didn't he come out as gay, and at one point try to promote himself as the world's first openly gay athlete?

Ya, he tried to make that his gimmick, but then later claimed it was all just a gimmick and he was straight.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #2785
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, he tried to make that his gimmick, but then later claimed it was all just a gimmick and he was straight.

I thought it was legit as he gave several (in appeared) serious interviews on the subject and felt that it got him blackballed. He was a pretty talented performer, that just never got completely over.

Nevertheless, sad that yet another Pro Wrestler is dead before reaching 50.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #2786
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Well, I guess Christopher Daniels finally had enough of the TNA bullshit...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #2787
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Well, I guess Christopher Daniels finally had enough of the TNA bullshit...

I hope that's the case at least.

For those that missed it, here's a recap of last night's ROH PPV
Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #2788
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I had burned out on ROH a bit but the HDNet show the last few months is just excellent. Cornette's finger prints are all over ROH now and it's for the best that is for sure. KoW vs the Briscoes will easily end up the Tag Team MOTY. Just awesome stuff.

Funny to think that the Briscoes will most likely be in WWE by years end.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #2789
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bryan Alvarez is apparently confirming Daniels is gone from TNA.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #2790
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Funny to think that the Briscoes will most likely be in WWE by years end.
With all of the Confederate signage, there is NO WAY the WWE brings on the Briscoes. Unless they wrestle in full body suits ala the Gladiators perhaps...

Last edited by Toddzilla : 04-04-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #2791
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
With all of the Confederate signage, there is NO WAY the WWE brings on the Briscoes.

Well there's obviously some interest on the WWE's part since they've already worked a dark match before an SD taping back in November & that led to a week long tryout in Florida afterwards.

There's a pretty strong consensus that all anyone is waiting on is a) their drug screening to come back clean & b) their ROH contracts to expire or a buyout to be negotiated.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #2792
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Well there's obviously some interest on the WWE's part since they've already worked a dark match before an SD taping back in November & that led to a week long tryout in Florida afterwards.

There's a pretty strong consensus that all anyone is waiting on is a) their drug screening to come back clean & b) their ROH contracts to expire or a buyout to be negotiated.

Yep. Though I will say this, if Nigel McGuiness failed WWE's entrance physical, I have no idea how Mark Briscoe will pass it. That guy is held together by duct tape.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #2793
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

But since the WWE doesn't really do real "tag-teams", rather they throw together 2 guys and hope it sticks, why waste the money to just bury them on Superstars?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #2794
DeToxRox
Head Coach

TNA tonight is continuing to set a new standard of terrible.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #2795
DeToxRox
Head Coach

WWE is moving Smackdown to SyFy come October:

Quote:
WWE's 'Smackdown' moving to Syfy
April 12, 2010 | 6:00 pm

Syfy Channel has pinned a deal for "Smackdown."
World Wrestling Entertainment Inc's "Smackdown," which for years was a mainstay on the UPN and CW networks before moving to News Corp.'s My Network TV, is now headed to NBC Universal's Syfy Channel, people close to the situation said.

A deal, which will be announced later this week, further solidifies the growing relationship between NBC Universal and Vince McMahon's WWE. Syfy already carries the show "NXT," which is a reality program featuring wannabe wrestlers trying to make it to the big leagues of WWE. NBC Universal's USA cable channel also carries WWE programming including "WWE Raw."

Although terms were not disclosed, My Network TV was shelling out roughly $20 million a year for "Smackdown." Syfy's price tag is believed to be closer to $30 million a year.

Although "Smackdown" is more than 10 years old, it still does very well with men, particularly the 18-34 demographic, and generally averages about 3.5 million viewers overall. "Smackdown" will continue to air on Friday nights when it moves to Syfy later this year, most likely in either late September or early October.

WWE is still looking to launch its own cable network, probably sometime in 2011. This latest deal with NBC Universal is another sign that the two could end up partnering on such a channel. WWE chief Vince McMahon has close relationships with NBC Universal brass, particularly Dick Ebersol, who oversees all sports programming for the company. Just a few weeks ago, Ebersol took part in an induction ceremony for broadcaster Bob Uecker into the WWE's hall of fame, which was also broadcast as a special on the USA Network.

-- Joe Flint

Last edited by DeToxRox : 04-12-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #2796
Terps
College Prospect

Ugh, I'm going to RAW next week, and the guest host(s) are the cast of 'MacGruber'.

I was hoping the episode I was going to would be the draft.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #2797
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hardy was apparently legit burned in the match with Roode. Hogan said last night they had to redo the segment three times when they taped it and when it finally worked Hardy's head caught on fire for a second, since he was already covered with the substance (Hogan said Kerosene) from the two failed attempts. You could definitely see the edit when he finally took the flame.

TNA is really blowing a good opportunity with the talent they have, I hope they pick it up.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #2798
molson
General Manager

There's something poetic, or fitting, about TNA setting it's talent's heads on fire.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #2799
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The flight restrictions out of Great Britain have been extended to 7 PM locally, making it even harder for the Raw crew to get back to the United States for Monday's taping in New Jersey.

From PWI.

The SD crew got home today so it's looking more and more like Raw will be SD on Monday.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #2800
General Mike
Pro Starter

Meltzer posted on his site that they're gonna try to tape interviews in a studio for the guys who are wrestling at Extreme Rules if they can't get back.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote