Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #351
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Much like i expect there to be 3 musketeers, and possibly 4 with dartanion (or whatever is name is)

I only agree with this because it aligns for numbers with the amount of people we had starting the game. Otherwise, I would expect the number of bad guys to couple closely with standard WW ratios rather than stick to the number in a literary work.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #352
st.cronin
General Manager

Seriously, though - Fouts is top man right now. I'll switch on to ntndeacon, which makes Fouts and ntn 1-2.

unvote Lonestargirl
vote ntndeacon

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #353
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
I disagree...in every story ive read about them, they were swordsman. The cardinals guard had marksmen, but the musketeers were swordsman. I, rightly or wrongly, expect the game to follow suite.

Much like i expect there to be 3 musketeers, and possibly 4 with dartanion (or whatever is name is)

This is very, very dangerous. Alan in the LotR game. That's all I've got to say to get my point across, I believe.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #354
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Considering how crappy day 1 votes are, I also like the idea of letting the unfortunate early vote-getters have a fighting chance to live. It will still suck for the first person that goes out, but at least it won't be a total railroad job.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #355
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
This is very, very dangerous. Alan in the LotR game. That's all I've got to say to get my point across, I believe.

I didn't get this, can you say more?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #356
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Considering how crappy day 1 votes are, I also like the idea of letting the unfortunate early vote-getters have a fighting chance to live. It will still suck for the first person that goes out, but at least it won't be a total railroad job.

I can certainly agree with this assessment.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #357
Fouts
College Starter

For your info - I will NOT be accepting any Day 1 challenges.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #358
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
My first vote for that would be ntn.

I admit that I am in general a quiet player. Especially true in the first couple of days in a game. I have made an incisive comment or two along the way.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #359
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
I didn't get this, can you say more?

Using outside works to try to discern game rules is very dangerous because the GM probably isn't going to put all that flavor into the game like that. It's drawing conclusions that probably aren't there. We shouldn't read stuff into the situation that isn't there; I think it's a big reason why we end up with random bad lynches sometimes.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #360
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post

If nobody else changes their vote, I believe you will have no choice.

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #361
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

If we put you top two, you dont have a choice
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #362
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree...in every story ive read about them, they were swordsman. The cardinals guard had marksmen, but the musketeers were swordsman. I, rightly or wrongly, expect the game to follow suite.

I think this goes back to what I was talking about yesterday a bit when I asked if anyone was familiar with this part of the theme/story of the musketeers. I'm not very versed in it, and after no one really replied yesterday I did a bit research on wikipedia. Some comments I have regarding this are:

According to wikipedia:

- There were many many more musketeers than the 3 musketeers + d'Artagnan at one point, they were a fighting company in the royal household
- The "Three musketeers + d'Artagnan" were simply the only ones who didn't turn in their stuff when the musketeers were disbanded by the cardinal later on (as far as I can tell from reading).. but from what I know, this happens after the setting we currently are in for this game.
- THe musketeers were called such because they were the forces armed with -muskets- or guns.

The problem I have is I haven't finished all of the reading, and I still havent figured out how the musketeers were at odds with the cardinal guard before later after this setting in theme, and part of me wonders if it really even matters for the purpose of this game.

So all I can conclude though is that I wouldn't be suprised to see if a musketeer was formidable with a musket. I wouldn't be suprised if a musketeer is formidable with a sword, and I wouldn't be suprised if they all necessarily have to be.

I also feel that since as far as I know, this is before the time of the 3 musketeers, that we might not be locked into those three (or 4) per say.. I might be wrong on that though, but think of games this size 3 or 4 is likely a reasonable guess for wolves anyways to start with so no big deal either way to me.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #363
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Using outside works to try to discern game rules is very dangerous because the GM probably isn't going to put all that flavor into the game like that. It's drawing conclusions that probably aren't there. We shouldn't read stuff into the situation that isn't there; I think it's a big reason why we end up with random bad lynches sometimes.

OK, I think I remember the situation you are talking about now. These games tend to all blur together for me and I have trouble remembering details from specific games.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #364
Tyrith
College Starter

Gonna be gone for a while, at least an hour and a half, maybe as long as until 8 CST or so.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #365
Fouts
College Starter

Why not?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #366
Fouts
College Starter

Says here I can refuse.

Quote:
Challenges – As gentleman often disagree so strongly with one another and at times feel they have been dishonored or greatly offended, you have the gentleman’s right to challenge. Anyone can challenge another to a duel, by calling out the offender and dropping his glove in challenge. The challenged has the right to refuse or accept. A challenge that has been accepted, will result in a duel to 3rd blood at the end of the day round.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #367
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
There is a lot of information out there - particularly in the Dubb vs the World stuff from earlier - but I don't feel like I have enough context yet to evaluate it properly.

And that is exactly what I'm going for.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #368
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Why not?

If nobody gets a majority, top two vote getters duel to the death. It's a pretty cool idea, actually!

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #369
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think in this case, he's wrong anyways. Traditionally the musketeers were called such because they were the company armed with muskets. I see no reason why there can't be an expert gunsman in the group due to that.

But I agree, I learned my lesson that game that theme and WW games don't necessarily always match.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #370
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Says here I can refuse.

This isnt a challenge were talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Votes are caste each day to lynch. A majority must be reached in order to execute a consensus lynch. If a majority is not reached, then the top two vote recipients will duel to 3rd Blood (death). If there is a tie in votes for the top two vote recipients, the GM will determine the tie breaker and who will duel
In this setting you cannot refuse...were not referring to a challenge, which you can refuse. Were referring to this voting rule, which you cant refuse it would seem.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #371
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
If nobody gets a majority, top two vote getters duel to the death. It's a pretty cool idea, actually!

Can you point that out in the rules, I can't find it.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #372
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry for my lack of activity today guys, but I do have to work and I'm on my lunch. Tried to skim through the couple pages since last night, but I will be out until the deadline(10pm I get off work.) Wish I could be more active today, but work calls. See ya after 10.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #373
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
VOTE NTNDEACON

I don't like the way dubb has acted lately. It seems like one of those things that is going to cause a fight eventually, and I'm afraid he might catch me in it. That is not a game concern, but a personal concern, but I would like to note that the lack of fighting lately has been really nice. That said...sigh, I'm willing to let it go for today, unless he tries to wade into it again.

My concern with ntn is that he has a history of being able to duck pressure for a long time because of the quietness. He can wind up being the kind of UTR player Alan was talking about that gets ignored because of other things or crazy whims. So if I'm not going to vote for the person I really want gone but rather to vote for the person that could cause the most trouble if he was bad, this is where it has to go.

When I have been called out. I have given reasons not to vote for me. Yes, iam quiet. I imagine I will continue to be. I don't like making posts for the sake of just making posts. so especially early when ihave no clue who is a bad guy , I tend to be sparse with my words. I have a feeling that once Ido become evil iwill be rooted out quickly, as Isuspect that I have been an early viewing target of the seer on some occasions because of my quiet nature. I think there are others who would and have caused more damage than I would if and when ibecome bad. (I imagine it will happen eventually if I keep playing. lol)
Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #374
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
This isnt a challenge were talking about:

In this setting you cannot refuse...were not referring to a challenge, which you can refuse. Were referring to this voting rule, which you cant refuse it would seem.

Oh ok. I see it now. Again I will state, I will NOT accept any Day 1 challenges.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #375
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I know that you can go overboard in dealing with the literature. but there were links between LotR and our WW game . Bill Ferny for example. He was malicious in the book (if iremember correctly) And Bill Ferny in the game was evil. One example but Ithink there were others too.

I have seen a link in this game too. I don't know if it is a valid one or not. But I want to share it with you still. Especially if I am to duel later. If iremember the story correctly, one of the musketeers was in training to be a priest. Aramis, I think.

I say this because I think I remember that someone here mentioned they were training to be a priest as well. Ineed to go back and find the post. Cuz Ican't remember who said it.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #376
Fouts
College Starter

It appears I killed all the discussion. I did find something in the rules;

Quote:
All Cardinals Guard have been relieved of their pistols and muskets. Of course each man has retained a rapier and dagger, as no gentleman would be left unarmed.

So where do the firearms skills come into effect?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #377
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It appears I killed all the discussion. I did find something in the rules;

So where do the firearms skills come into effect?

I believe it says duelists are given pistols.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #378
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

For time than I thought. I have an hour, but I'm going to do a couple of things.

First off, Barkeep, I'm picking the golve up for right now.

UNVOTE LATHUM

VOTE TYRITH

Personal attacks have no place in this game. What you said in the last page had nothing to do with this game and to be frank, I don't want you in this game as a result. Its a game of werewolf. If I want to get into my "hardass" role and play within the confines of the game I will. Duels are a part of this game, if I want to challenge anyone I want to to one I will. You attacked me, Blade and Fouts on the last page. I have yet to personally attack anyone, ever without cause. In fact, my only blowup I recall was with Fozzie, a game in which I simply removed myself from play b/c he was trolling both me and Blade.

However if the group at large is stating that we can only play this game one way, I will remove myself from this game. I have no interest in keeping the same playstyle from game to game.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #379
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I know that you can go overboard in dealing with the literature. but there were links between LotR and our WW game . Bill Ferny for example. He was malicious in the book (if iremember correctly) And Bill Ferny in the game was evil. One example but Ithink there were others too.

I have seen a link in this game too. I don't know if it is a valid one or not. But I want to share it with you still. Especially if I am to duel later. If iremember the story correctly, one of the musketeers was in training to be a priest. Aramis, I think.

I say this because I think I remember that someone here mentioned they were training to be a priest as well. Ineed to go back and find the post. Cuz Ican't remember who said it.

Wow, great catch. That was st.cronin.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #380
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have recieved my role. Loyal cardinal guard here. I am apparently studying to be a priest, which I find amusing.

Here is the post Iam referring too.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #381
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

From my research, I thought Bill was weak and greedy, not necessarily evil. In the game...I was very evil.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #382
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I do remember one time that we had a game with no soothsayer role where someone (maybe it was barkeep? I don't remember who) made the observation closer to the end of the game that checking in everyone had said they were a "villager" except those who were wolves at the start.

Three (or is it four?) straight games (including this one), I've refused to issue the "standard villager" welcome message. Prior to this game, I've been proven to be a good guy in each of them. This game, I claim to be a good guy, but that is yet to be proved.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #383
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
From my research, I thought Bill was weak and greedy, not necessarily evil. In the game...I was very evil.

I don't remember the book that well, as it has been some time. I do remember you being unwilling to share that name. I think that he was the most maligned character from Bree. (I think but am not sure, as Isaid it has been some time since I read it.)

My point is though, that perhaps Alan (and the rest of us) overplayed the connection, there is something to be said for it.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #384
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I admit this isn't much to go on, but is better than my random vote earlier.

Unvote Brian
Vote St. Cronin
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #385
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't remember the book that well, as it has been some time. I do remember you being unwilling to share that name. I think that he was the most maligned character from Bree. (I think but am not sure, as Isaid it has been some time since I read it.)

My point is though, that perhaps Alan (and the rest of us) overplayed the connection, there is something to be said for it.

There may be something to be made of the connection. I just really hesitate to put too much faith into something like that. People are all going to give their names at some point, and I would be surprised if roles would normally be identifiable by the names. Flavor is good, but people familiar with the setting shouldn't get that advantage. At least that is the way I think it should be. That doesn't mean that is the way it is.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #386
st.cronin
General Manager

What does it mean that I am studying to be a priest? Doesn't that actually reinforce my cardinal-ness?

I'm not familiar with the stories, mind you. All I know is what was in my pm. I am loyal to the cardinal, and studying to be a priest.

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #387
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Assuming Iam around tomorrow, I can see going an entirely different way then. But for a day 1 vote, it is something that ican see. I always think that I cant see enough. So I will take what I can.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #388
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so could St. Cronin be the turncoat?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #389
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
What does it mean that I am studying to be a priest? Doesn't that actually reinforce my cardinal-ness?

I'm not familiar with the stories, mind you. All I know is what was in my pm. I am loyal to the cardinal, and studying to be a priest.

You may very well be. As i said it is a small thing probably. But since one of the Muskateers in the book was also studying to be a priest, it gives me something to stand on.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #390
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dubb- I enjoy playing the game with you and have never had a problem. SOme of my favorite moments are me abusing you
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #391
Fouts
College Starter

Best info out there right now is the studying to be a priest statement.

unvote Chief Rum
vote st. cronin
Old 12-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #392
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
You may very well be. As i said it is a small thing probably. But since one of the Muskateers in the book was also studying to be a priest, it gives me something to stand on.

You are way off base.

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #393
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
You are way off base.

It would not be the first time I was, Cronin. Ivery easily could be wrong.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #394
st.cronin
General Manager

If I get lynched because of something that somebody claims they read in a BOOK I am going to be upset. You people are crazy.

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #395
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
It would not be the first time I was, Cronin. Ivery easily could be wrong.

You are. Go back and read all my posts.

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #396
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
If I get lynched because of something that somebody claims they read in a BOOK I am going to be upset. You people are crazy.

Don't worry, you have a chance to defend yourself in a duel.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #397
st.cronin
General Manager

I am going to make it absolutely clear when I run my game that using information gleaned from outside sources (wikipedia, book, movie, etc) will result in that player being removed from the game. I think it's absolute bush.

knives out
Old 12-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #398
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I do not have bold on firefox for some reason. I hope you take this Gram

VOTE ST CRONIN
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #399
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

he voted for me first, and GE and I are sharing a computer and he is making me get off so he can play poker. Ill be on tomorrow morning
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #400
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm assuming this is one of those cases where outside knowledge of the setting is dangerous. People with the Musketeer roles are probably going to be giving out as little info as possible. They never know what details will get them killed, so they usually don't give any out. The fact that Cronin was so happy to give out his interesting "random fact" leads me to believe he is OK.