Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > Dark Cloud's Personal Playground
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1842 Off-season Thread

Ok, free agency is open. File is up. We'll sim the 1st stage of free agency tomorrow night. Deadline for exports is 10pm eastern.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The HTML is also updated.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Does Carolina have an owner?
JTSMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, Cole took them over.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, Cole took them over.

Ahh thats right...Just noticed they had a 2 million dollar payroll and it got my mind wondering..
Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSMOOTH View Post
Ahh thats right...Just noticed they had a 2 million dollar payroll and it got my mind wondering..

Haha...they had low payroll because I usually turn off AI on teams that used to have owners (they had an owner before who lapsed) because I figured it'd be better to have teams that are close to empty cupboard for future owners.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Yep, I'm responsible for trying to turn around this sinking ship ... One good thing about fast sim, hopefully it won't take forever!
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

FA1 has been run. Tomorrow night is FA2, the big free agent stage where guys sign so make your best offers tomorrow night as we'll sim to the start of spring training. Some pretty quality talent out there that could separate 1st place from last if you do it right.

So go ahead and grab the file now. Also, Milwaukee's legacy player Moe Jackson ought to be on the major league roster too.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Jack Raden
Mascot

I'm getting a "No updated league file available" error.
Jack Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Raden View Post
I'm getting a "No updated league file available" error.

One sec.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Okay, go ahead now. Sorry.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, grabbing exports.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, so I simmed to the pre-season start and we're going to do FA3 with a deadline of tomorrow night. There are still quite a few quality guys in FA and teams with some money to spend. File isn't up yet. Give me a few minutes. (My internet is slow at the end of the month because they cut bandwidth lower after a cap each month...naturally..)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-20-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, file is up.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

It appears a handful of new FA have joined the fray as well...

Quote:
Ok, so I simmed to the pre-season start and we're going to do FA3 with a deadline of tomorrow night. There are still quite a few quality guys in FA and teams with some money to spend. File isn't up yet. Give me a few minutes. (My internet is slow at the end of the month because they cut bandwidth lower after a cap each month...naturally..)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Jack Raden
Mascot

Yeah, 5 top guys - 4.5 or 5 stars each.

Are they supposed to be there? (Don't want to make an offer if it's a mistake.)
Jack Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Lets hope not. The end of Free Agency seems like a bad time to add 3 who are now rated as the top 3 hitters in the league and 2 pitchers rated in the top 5 pitchers.

Actually I don't know if there is a good time to add 5 superstars to the FA pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Raden View Post
Yeah, 5 top guys - 4.5 or 5 stars each.

Are they supposed to be there? (Don't want to make an offer if it's a mistake.)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
SkippyDies
n00b

Hey guys anyone need pitching?? Ive got a surpluss of arms in Philly nand i I could stand to get rid of some if anyone is in the mood to make a deal??
SkippyDies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Lets hope not. The end of Free Agency seems like a bad time to add 3 who are now rated as the top 3 hitters in the league and 2 pitchers rated in the top 5 pitchers.

Actually I don't know if there is a good time to add 5 superstars to the FA pool

Yeah I was wondering what the deal is with those guys? I first thought they were legacy players who hadn't been put on teams but it doesn't seem that way.. what's the deal? Do we make offers on them??
Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There's isn't a lot of organic player movement, so I let the game create some international free agents in the hopes that it'd induce you all to start making some deals. It was a one-time thing though, since it didn't do much other than confuse you all apparently.

I do very Federal Reserve-esque things in the hopes of keeping things interesting, though it's toned down heavily from the old days. If it's just a bunch of simming and winning, things lose steam, people go on autopilot and there's nothing making this any different than any other than it goes a little faster. So that's the mindset behind a lot of the stuff that happens.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-21-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The pre-Spring Training file is up. We'll sim it on Monday to take to the start of our 5th season of SLOP! For new people, yes the trading deadline/free agency deadline isn't until Monday at 10pm. So there's still a chance to pull off a big haul or two before the bell rings.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
There's isn't a lot of organic player movement, so I let the game create some international free agents in the hopes that it'd induce you all to start making some deals. It was a one-time thing though, since it didn't do much other than confuse you all apparently.

I do very Federal Reserve-esque things in the hopes of keeping things interesting, though it's toned down heavily from the old days. If it's just a bunch of simming and winning, things lose steam, people go on autopilot and there's nothing making this any different than any other than it goes a little faster. So that's the mindset behind a lot of the stuff that happens.

These stud players with 100+ stats were created by the game? I know I don't have much say since I'm new here, but I'm not a big fan of manually introducing all these star players into the game world... (Legacy players, these guys, etc.).. I find it dilutes things a bit when there are many more star players.... I think it's especially odd to just randomly put in new stud players without any advanced warning, when some people might not have even have gotten a chance to bid on them.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

I bid on some of these new guys but apparently my export was late, as I didn't even get e-mails saying they didn't accept my bid. I sent my export before 10 p.m. EST, but I guess too late.

Anyway, I don't think it's really fair these guys were added halfway through free agency and without letting everyone know so everyone would have a fair shot at them.

Even if I had got one of them, it seems silly and unfair to randomly add superhuman guys with 100+ ratings in the game at this point of free agency.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Agreed...I'm not a fan either the legacy players or the randomly created superstars. As was stated by Cole, it dilutes the talent,players who were signed for big contracts the past couple seasons are now dwarfed by 5 random superstar players that appeared out of nowhere in the middle of FA.

Teams who happen to have low payrolls when you decide to introduce superstar players hit the jackpot, as we saw this off season with Compton signing 3 new superstar players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
These stud players with 100+ stats were created by the game? I know I don't have much say since I'm new here, but I'm not a big fan of manually introducing all these star players into the game world... (Legacy players, these guys, etc.).. I find it dilutes things a bit when there are many more star players.... I think it's especially odd to just randomly put in new stud players without any advanced warning, when some people might not have even have gotten a chance to bid on them.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Agreed...I'm not a fan either the legacy players or the randomly created superstars. As was stated by Cole, it dilutes the talent,players who were signed for big contracts the past couple seasons are now dwarfed by 5 random superstar players that appeared out of nowhere in the middle of FA.

Teams who happen to have low payrolls when you decide to introduce superstar players hit the jackpot, as we saw this off season with Compton signing 3 new superstar players.

At least the legacy players is for the entire league so it shouldn't sway the balance of the league too much.

There could be more of a case for these random superstar players if they were put into the league at the start of free agency and with a heads up coming from the commish but dropping them in halfway .... seems ... pointless and definitely unfair.

I don't know how everyone else felt but when I saw them I thought "this must be a mistake" and my first inclination (and first export sent) was without bids on them. Then after reading the forum and thinking others were in fact bidding on them I sent another export, but it didn't take (Although I don't think I would have had a winning bid anyway, but the point is still moot)...

I don't see how this will help "organic player movement" either, Darkcloud . And I can't imagine these players weren't tinkered with either ... I have never seen OOTP create international free agents of that high quality ....
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The only teams I didn't get exports from were Brooklyn, Milwaukee and San Diego. Everyone else had an export. So if you bid, it went through.

It clearly won't help organic player movement, because I hoped it'd result in trades and it didn't. So I failed. I'll delete the players, we'll keep things vanilla and hopefully everyone isn't too rankled to have fun going forward.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
SeriesVCoop
n00b

Quote:
The only teams I didn't get exports from were Brooklyn, Milwaukee and San Diego. Everyone else had an export. So if you bid, it went through.

It clearly won't help organic player movement, because I hoped it'd result in trades and it didn't. So I failed. I'll delete the players, we'll keep things vanilla and hopefully everyone isn't too rankled to have fun going forward.

appreciate your efforts to keep it interesting. Just know that if it ain't broke don't try to fix it too much. I know this means I lose Salthouse but its all good with me. Looking forward to the season too. Do I just send you a pm of my franchise player then? what an awesome twist for a league. good shop glad to be part

Last edited by SeriesVCoop : 01-22-2012 at 01:49 PM.
SeriesVCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
Ramzavail
College Starter

you guys are being way too whiny.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
JTSMOOTH
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
you guys are being way too whiny.