Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #151
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
How come you ended up getting it?

You should try out Puresim 2007. Its very solid so far. Really having fun with it.

Puresim is really a historical sim.IMHO. BM is great for current era.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #152
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Puresim is really a historical sim.IMHO. BM is great for current era.

Shaun did a pretty good job on the fictional play on puresim 2007 too.

The only thing lacking is real MLB roster for this season so far. But the fictional and historical play been pretty fun so far.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #153
RedKingGold
College Starter

OOTP 6.5 is still pretty good too. Having fun with my Fightin's
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #154
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so for anyone who has BM, what is the largest issue still remaining to be tackled by Clay? I picked the demo back up and had a huge blast running a couple quick half-seasons and am seriously thinking I could get $20 worth of enjoyment out of it, just wanted to know what the major problem with it still is...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #155
JPhillips
General Manager

Its definetely worth twenty bucks, but it isn't a very good simulation. Its more of a beer & pretzels game that offers a lot of fun without worrying about exact realism.

Some of my problems:

Prospects don't develop and progress to the majors well. They either get brought up too soon or are allowed to linger in low minors while they develop completely.

Players performance varies too much from year to year. Its not unusual to see a pitcher win twenty games and the next year have a plus 6 era. Batters seem to do better, but average really bounces around a lot as well.

The financials for small market teams are so screwed up that half of the teams almost can't be played.

Having no compensatory picks in a baseball sim kills small market teams.

Contract demands are too closely based to the last season's performance.

The pitcher power ratings are generally stuck too low.

All that being said I've played it far more than OOTP2006. Its a lot of fun, but you just have to except its shortcomings.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #156
John Galt
Pro Starter

The board ate my longer reply, but I'll offer this summary:

Biggest problem: Bad AI advancement through minors (too fast or too slow).

I don't think the small market problems are bad anymore. Only TB was screwy the last time I checked and you can fix that manually. Playing small market teams is a challenge without revenue sharing and compensatory picks, but I think that makes it more fun (like difficulty levels).

Overall, I think it is definitely worth $20 and recommend the game.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #157
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Agreed with most of JPhillip's points, though I do feel that most teams are playable.

Also, the computer will never offer you a realistic trade. However, it won't be fleeced either when you use the trading block so it's not like I feel trading is broken, just the trades you recieve unprompted from the computer are going to be jokes of a trade.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #158
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt

I don't think the small market problems are bad anymore. Only TB was screwy the last time I checked and you can fix that manually. Playing small market teams is a challenge without revenue sharing and compensatory picks, but I think that makes it more fun (like difficulty levels).

Completely agree. The Minor League Advancement of AI controlled teams is my biggest gripe with the game, but it has already given me many hours of enjoyment and is well worth the price IMO.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-24-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #159
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt

cool. thanks JG. I think I can deal with bad AI advancement through minors for now and hopefully that will be something that Clay is looking at moving forwards, and if not it's still something that I at least can fix manually on my team. I played out a couple years with a ton of trades and want to pay the $20 now to see how those trades would pan out (1 year as the Nationals and 1 as the Red Sox). My Nats ended up with a ton of cash under budget going into FA (55 million or so) so I signed Mark Prior, Miggy Cabrera, Wily Mo Pena and Roy Oswalt, after making trades for Mauer, Kubel, Delmon Young, Ryan Zimmerman, and a bunch of other young guys.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #160
amdaily
College Prospect

One of the lastest unofficial patches has made alot of progress in making sure the AI doesn't call up an A or Rookie ball player the majors. The retirement algorithm also seems to get upgraded with every new patch, which is also helping the problem (as to many useless vets were cloggeing up rosters spots before).

But yes, easily worth the $20 at this point.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #161
Galaril
Pro Starter

Bought it some and played a couple of single seasons I just finished the free agency and draft for the following season and bam I go to my roster and see the stats for last season are not correct ....at all. Example shilling was 10-12 4.10 era now it says he was 8-8 with a 3.23 era. Anotehr exampel to show how hosed this looks coco crisp was 265 avg 10 HRs now it says he was 300 avg with 16 HRs. I know I could post a something in the tech support for it on the games board but between this and especially OOTP I am sick of beta testing. Game now off hard drive my time is too limited to try to figure out why this did this. Back to Titan Quest and Oblivion.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #162
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bought it some and played a couple of single seasons I just finished the free agency and draft for the following season and bam I go to my roster and see the stats for last season are not correct ....at all. Example shilling was 10-12 4.10 era now it says he was 8-8 with a 3.23 era. Anotehr exampel to show how hosed this looks coco crisp was 265 avg 10 HRs now it says he was 300 avg with 16 HRs. I know I could post a something in the tech support for it on the games board but between this and especially OOTP I am sick of beta testing. Game now off hard drive my time is too limited to try to figure out why this did this. Back to Titan Quest and Oblivion.

Try Puresim. Its very solid at version 1.24.

I think the AI is better on puresim than ootp and baseball mogul.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #163
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

did you make sure to patch it galaril? cuz that sounds very troubling...
Old 07-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #164
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I agree that Galaril's post is very troubling and something I had not noticed in approximately 40 seasons of play.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #165
amdaily
College Prospect

If he's that quick to delete the entire game, then it was probably a hastily made user error that resulted in the stat problem. I've personally simmed thousands of seasons and never seen such a thing occur, neither has anyone on the BM forums.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #166
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I have to say that it is a blast to play, especially with the historic database. There are still a few things that bug me but I definitely get the 20 dollars entertainment out of it. I have generally disliked the BM series too so this is saying something that I am entertained by it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 PM   #167
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You sure you weren't looking at last seasons stats, then looking at this seasons stats or vice versa?

It's rather easy to look at say the depth chart and not have them match up with the player cards for that year if you accidently have it marked for last years stats and you're looking at this year on the card.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #168
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
You sure you weren't looking at last seasons stats, then looking at this seasons stats or vice versa?

It's rather easy to look at say the depth chart and not have them match up with the player cards for that year if you accidently have it marked for last years stats and you're looking at this year on the card.

Not sure. It could of been my error or hastiness.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-04-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #169
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Well, Circuit City has a buy one/get one free deal on games $19.99 and under, so I grabbed Baseball Mogul 2007 as half of a set. For $10 I couldn't resist.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #170
Galaril
Pro Starter

I got an email noting that Baseball Mogul 07 new official and final patch for 07 is release and the list of fixes are very impressive. I have been pretty hard on Clay's game but like Shaun/Puresim they have worked very hard to continually put out a pretty good initial release and have continued throughout the year with very substantual patches and added features.
The gap between OOTP and Mogl and puresim has decreased agreat deal and the top spot is up for grabs next season. It ought to push OOTP somewhat (I hope) and make for some great baseball games next spring. Anyways, here are the fixes since the last official patch alot of these issues are minor but still in totality quite annoying:

Changes in the 9.44 series of unofficial patches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unofficial Patch: Version 9.44
1) Runs and Earned Runs corrected for minor league pitching stats
2) Bug fixed where some pitch ratings (for batters) showed '-75'
3) GB/FB changed to GB% (ground ball percent) and fixed
4) Balk, Wild Pitch and Pickoff rates fixed
5) 'Defense' rating in Sortable Stats shows rating at the position selected in 'Fielding Stats'
6) Game properly ends on passed ball or wild pitch that scores winning run
7) Batter now gets an RBI when he stretches a triple into an inside-the-park homer
8) Infielders always tries to prevent winning run scoring from third
9) CPU-controlled pitchers no longer start on consecutive days

The following should also be fixed since 9.44:

1) RBI credited when runner goes an extra base and scores
2) The following bugs fixed (that had been introduced in 9.44):

1. '1-1-1' Double Play in Play-By-Play
2. All players listed as 'P' in box score (except DH)
3. HTML link text eliminated from Play-By-Play Screen

Changes since 9.44A:

1) Crash fixed when Loading Historical Rookies
2) 'PH' and 'PR' added to HTML Box Scores
3a) CG, GB, WP and SF added to Player Editor
3b) Lefty/righty tendencies added to Player Editor (for Contact & Power ratings)
4) Auto-Sort AI interchanges fielders more. For example, the AI will now put an 80-rated LF in RF instead of a 65-rated RF.
5) 'Trade Frequency' added to League Options. This affects how often computer-controlled teams trade with EACH OTHER.
6) Improved AI for trades offered by computer teams.
7a) Endurance adjusted upwards for power pitchers to reflect their higher pitch counts
7b) Pitcher fatigue engine tweaked for more realistic performance after 100+ pitches thrown
8a) Hit & Run fix: Runner on third doesn't go with the pitch
8b) Hit & Run: Hole created when 2B/SS covers 2nd base
9) "Give Days Off" added to League Editor
10) Better running/infield AI
11) Ball trajectory tweaked for more accurate hit and out locations
12) Earned Run and Win/Loss code re-written (except for the 2nd half of MLB rule 10.18(g) -- which I will probably address in next patch)

Unofficial Patch: Version 9.44C
1) Winning and losing pitchers should now be correctly recorded
2) Amount of playing out-of-position reduced in lineup AI
3) Player fatigue (for position players) noted in the written scouting report

Changes in Version 9.44D:

1. Bug fixed: Moving players in Defensive Substitution Dialog changes game outs
2. Bug fixed: Retired players lost after save/resume/sim
3. Player Editor: tab order updated
4. Pitch velocity nudged down slightly for rookies
5. Streak/slump sentences added to batter scouting reports
6. League abbreviation added to transaction lists
7. Lefty/righty pinch-hit AI improved
8. Gold gloves awarded to 3 outfielders (not always LF, CF, RF)
9. League Options: "Popups for Retiring Players" checkbox added
10. Cleveland 'Naps' become 'Indians' in 1915

Changes in Version 9.44E (since Version 9.44D):

1. Stats corrected in streak/slump sentences
2. Decision total fixed in Game Log
3. ".txt" box scores can now be opened from within Mogul (instead of trying to open an HTML file)
4. Links disabled in HTML Box Scores and Recaps; Load_Awards() only called for NEW games
5. Free Agents assigned to minor league team after signing by user
6. 'Balance Cash' button fixed (and 'Cash' offers in Trading Block)
7. Bug Fix: Defensive substitute leads to a quote such as "Mike Lowell came in to play third base for two RBIs"
8. Bug Fix: "Grounded out to pitcher" shown in Play-By-Play after defensive substitutions
9. Bug fix: Pinch-hitting for pitcher in Play-By-Play sometimes shows wrong team in Pinch Hitter dialog
10. Bug Fix: "The pitcher slot is due up Ordinal error: 0 next inning." (DH leagues only)

Changes in Version 9.44F (since Version 9.44E):

1. Fixed PREDICTED stats for historical players (e.g. 500 G and 2400 PA)
2. Frequency of trade offers from CPU reduced
3. "Underhand" changed to "Submarine"
4. 'Overall' and 'Peak' ratings fixed in Player Editor
5. Opening Day pitching rotation fixed

Changes in Version 9.44G (since Version 9.44F):

1. Some text display bugs fixed in Defensive Subsitution Dialog
2. Extra substitution listings eliminated after a defensive sub
3. 'Undo' button added to Play-By-Play Dialogs (Relief Pitcher, Defensive Substitution, Pinch Hitter/Runner)
4. Fielding totals fixed in Scouting Report
5. Increased runner advancement to 3B on a grounder to the right side
6. Reduced computer teams signing multiple players at same position
7. '1-1-3' double play eliminated
8. Arizona catcher is much less popular (no longer 'friend to all')

Changes in Version 9.44H (since Version 9.44G):

1. Screwy double plays (e.g. '3-12-71') fixed [bug introduced in 9.44G]
2. In-game 'Box Score' and 'Recap' buttons work, even if HTML output is selected
3. Shuffled the pitch ratings so a pitcher's fastball is listed first (if he has one)
4. Runs counted as unearned when current play should have been 3rd out of inning
5. Pinch hitters only credited with a game on DEFENSE if they stay in the field for one batter
6. Bunter doesn't square around on an intentional walk
7. Player Editor rating discrepancies fixed
8. Season length can be set to any value from 140 to 162 games
9. 4-5-3 DPs severely reduced

Changes since 9.44H:

1. Birth city (and some other stats) now shown for retired players.
2. 'Vitals' tab shows award totals.
3. '1-run' and 'Extra Inning' records fixed on Standings Page.
4. Stolen Bases aren't credited when one runner is out in a double/triple steal -- per baseball rule 10.08(d).
Old 10-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #171
Ragone
Pro Rookie

But, is joey long back in the game?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #172
amdaily
College Prospect

Seems like the unofficial patches won't stop either, everything from here on out is part of an open beta for 2008.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #173
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
Seems like the unofficial patches won't stop either, everything from here on out is part of an open beta for 2008.

which IMHO is an awesome thing.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #174
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone still playing this?

I had a terrible taste in my mouth last year, but I've still followed this year's progress and I'm finding OOTP too tedius right now just for some quick MLB fun. Puresim hasn't motivated me either, so for $20 I was wondering how this game is in its current state?

With the playoffs right now, I'm needing some sort of MLB fix and after re-reading this thread, maybe I should give mogul a shot again.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #175
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I had a terrible taste in my mouth last year, but I've still followed this year's progress and I'm finding OOTP too tedius right now just for some quick MLB fun. Puresim hasn't motivated me either, so for $20 I was wondering how this game is in its current state?

With the playoffs right now, I'm needing some sort of MLB fix and after re-reading this thread, maybe I should give mogul a shot again.

Puresim is a lot better than baseball mogul.

What you don't like about puresim?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #176
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Yea, you not like AI?

Last edited by heybrad : 10-11-2006 at 08:19 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #177
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Yea, you not like AI?

Actually the AI is pretty solid on current version of Puresim.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #178
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I am someone who focuses much more on the GM aspects of a sim. Being a manager/coach has never interested me in a text sim. I want to set the roster and let the coach deal with the other stuff. And I have to say I had a great deal of fun with BM this year as it presented realistic enough events and I was able to play through seasons quickly, while spending time on the areas I enjoy. It's not a great game but it is a $20 game I think.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #179
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw BM2007 clearenced at target for 4.98 the other day. But I resisted, cause the ai not as good as puresim.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #180
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I also paid $5 for it at Target. Did I get ripped?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #181
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

i love this game for what it gives me the ability to do: fire it up for an hour when I have the itch and power through a season and the FA market and draft and then play a game or 4. I havn't honestly dug into it as far as playing a ton of seasons to check accuracy (i think the game i've spent the most time on is only in 2013 or something) but for what it is it's working great for me.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #182
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Baseball Mogul 2007 is text-sim Freecell.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #183
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ai is crappy..just kidding, I might get this one
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #184
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Baseball Mogul 2007 is text-sim Freecell.
This might be a very good analogy.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #185
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Puresim is a lot better than baseball mogul.

Loved the last few versions of Puresim but the fact no one created a 2006 MLB mod file for the game just killed my interest in it . Greta game for historical gamers not for real MLB current though.IMHO.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #186
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
This might be a very good analogy.

That's why I made it. :P

The strengths of BB are that you can jump in with no refresher course necessary on players, it's exceptionally easy to focus in on the talent you want to acquire, and the sim engine lends itself to near-instant results. It is a game that offers enjoyment with a little thought but no study. Particularly at an entry price under $20, it is in my mind quite comparable to the gratification on finds from the offerings at Reflexive or Popcap.

The weaknesses of BB parallel the strengths, especially on a forum where the idea of studying your universe makes us salivate. Also keep in mind that there's frequently a damn good reason Reflexive games run under $20.

Last edited by Shkspr : 10-11-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #187
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ai is crappy..just kidding, I might get this one

For God sake, don't fall for the trap again. Don't cave in you will regret it.

You got burn last time.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #188
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
You got burn last time.

I know. I had to buy the cream last time to get rid of it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #189
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

Two questions on this game:

1. Can I play with fictional players?

2. Can I select how many teams I want to play with or must it be the current major league configuration?

Thanks
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM   #190
rjolley
College Starter

Baseball Mogul is what it's always been...a game to pick up quickly and fly through seasons. For $20 or less, it's a fun diversion that you can have running while at work since it doesn't need to take over your screen and can hide really easily.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 AM   #191
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If my local Target has this game for under $5.00, I almost have to buy it. I have Puresim and like it OK, but a "text-sim Freecell" game is more my speed right now. For an incredibly low price, I don't think I can go wrong.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #192
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'd take it for $5.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #193
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not afraid to call things like I see them and after last year's disappointment in BB Mogul, I finally bought 07 and after dowloading some current rosters and facepacks, so far I'm really liking this version. I'm sure the play by play graphic will get old after awhile, but right now it's fun to watch meaningful games.

One thing I've always liked about BBM is the speed and it doesn't disappoint here.

I'm still miffed for buying last year's version, but I've moved on and I'd say if you're on the fence, this one is worth buying for some quick-deep-baseball fun.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #194
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not afraid to call things like I see them and after last year's disappointment in BB Mogul, I finally bought 07 and after dowloading some current rosters and facepacks, so far I'm really liking this version. I'm sure the play by play graphic will get old after awhile, but right now it's fun to watch meaningful games.

One thing I've always liked about BBM is the speed and it doesn't disappoint here.

I'm still miffed for buying last year's version, but I've moved on and I'd say if you're on the fence, this one is worth buying for some quick-deep-baseball fun.

I heard puresim better.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #195
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Why do you like it more than Puresim 2007?

There no way you can say the AI is better on BBM than puresim 2007.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #196
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I heard puresim better.

My Oakland raiders looking great in preseason
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #197
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

The AI is better on BBM than puresim 2007. (just to get that over with)
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #198
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No, i heard puresim better.

Last edited by stevew : 10-17-2006 at 11:21 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #199
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't care for Puresim, for some reason I just can't get into that game.

To each their own JB, play whatever you want and I'll do the same.