Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Playoff Thoughts

As you might know, OOTP9 supports custom playoffs now. They have to be powers of 2 and currently, our playoffs allow the Top 2 teams, plus two wild cards into the playoffs. We'd have to keep it in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16) so it's not as if we could do anything too crazy short of letting the whole league in (And what would be the fun in that?)

What is the prevailing wisdom on this, now that we have a bevy of human owners? I'm curious to hear what you all think...

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
As you might know, OOTP9 supports custom playoffs now. They have to be powers of 2 and currently, our playoffs allow the Top 2 teams, plus two wild cards into the playoffs. We'd have to keep it in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16) so it's not as if we could do anything too crazy short of letting the whole league in (And what would be the fun in that?)

What is the prevailing wisdom on this, now that we have a bevy of human owners? I'm curious to hear what you all think...

I always have run my OOTP fictional leagues old-school style.. two larger divisions where only the division winner gets to the playoff. Winner of division A vs winner of division B.. everyone else gets left out.

If I'm in the minority then I am fine with anything of course though
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Huckleberry
College Starter

I'm with Alan. I also vote for a 9 game series.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

Not me.......... While I like the 9 game series idea, I would rather not have it just be the division winners. Thats not a whole lot of fun. One playoff series doesnt do it for me. I like the current setup with division winners and then the wildcards. That way there can be some upsets, and if we do play a 9 game series, nobody can complain that the better team lost, cause clearly they werent. It would also put more of a point on pitching which would add some spice to midseason deals and that playoff push.... but thats just my 2 cents.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Good arguements for the 9 game series. I am happy either way, although the 9 game series is looking a little more attractive to me then it was a minute ago.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Not me.......... While I like the 9 game series idea, I would rather not have it just be the division winners. Thats not a whole lot of fun. One playoff series doesnt do it for me. I like the current setup with division winners and then the wildcards. That way there can be some upsets, and if we do play a 9 game series, nobody can complain that the better team lost, cause clearly they werent. It would also put more of a point on pitching which would add some spice to midseason deals and that playoff push.... but thats just my 2 cents.

No mid-season deals in FOOL. But I get your sentiment.

I'm reserving my vote. I like the idea of "rewarding the best" and I also like the idea of "it's a small league and a fast season and so, let's let everyone get a taste of the post-season."

I'm torn myself. I do think the 9-game FOOL Classic is a must, though. A really good idea. As for whether to let wild cards in or not, I dunno. I'll keep thinking about it...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
No mid-season deals in FOOL. But I get your sentiment.

I'm reserving my vote. I like the idea of "rewarding the best" and I also like the idea of "it's a small league and a fast season and so, let's let everyone get a taste of the post-season."

I'm torn myself. I do think the 9-game FOOL Classic is a must, though. A really good idea. As for whether to let wild cards in or not, I dunno. I'll keep thinking about it...

HA, my bad, for some dumb reason I thought there was a file in there, and instead of looking, i just shot off at the mouth...... in a week ill finally have it all down
Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 AM   #8
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I know this is more of MLB league, but would it be possible to do the same playoff format for all levels of the minors instead of awarding the championship to the team with the best record?
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I know this is more of MLB league, but would it be possible to do the same playoff format for all levels of the minors instead of awarding the championship to the team with the best record?

Sure thing. I think I did that in the beginning to cut down on sim speed. But I'll fix it.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
muns
Pro Starter

DC you doing the playoffs live or you just gonna sim and post results?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
DC you doing the playoffs live or you just gonna sim and post results?

We can do 'em live. I'm down for that. No one here to distract me tomorrow night, so it should be good. We can even do it earlier than 10pm eastern if you all want.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
muns
Pro Starter

I wont be back tomorrow in time due to tickets to the O's game, however I thought it would be a neat thing to start if people were gonna be around. More time to talk FOOL, and ive enjoyed the live stuff in past leagues