Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

1965 Season Thread

Well, added quite a nice bat in the outfield, and filled a few more minor league slots. My roster looks to be in MUCH better shape than when I took over last season, although I doubt it's ready to compete with Charleston. Should be a bit more competitive this year, though.

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, added quite a nice bat in the outfield, and filled a few more minor league slots. My roster looks to be in MUCH better shape than when I took over last season, although I doubt it's ready to compete with Charleston. Should be a bit more competitive this year, though.

Man, I am crying that I didn't get my file in last night...

Oh well, I will get mine in here soon..
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There are A LOT of gems out there tonight. In some ways, those of you that missed last night are lucky because you have cash to play with for the kids that are out there.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-02-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Man, I am crying that I didn't get my file in last night...

Oh well, I will get mine in here soon..

lol me too, not sure which way im going with anything at the moment either. Ill screw it up somehow again with my cheapness
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
There are A LOT of gems out there tonight. In some ways, those of you that missed last night are lucky because you have cash to play with for the kids that are out there.

Yeah, there is PLENTY of talent still out there, and especially lots of rookie talent for the farm systems thanks to the league restructuring DC did last night. I'm getting a bit burned because I've spent most of my cash to upgrade the majors, so am losing out on some young talent that wants a major league salary. Hoping for some guys willing to take a minor league contract tonight...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This happened to me in a way. I didn't fully understand what last nights stage was about so I didn't really go after anyone, just worked on my own guys some.

I have money, but I am scared I either overpaid or way underpaid and won't get anyone.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just so everyone knows, the file I upload tonight will sim to the start of the pre-season.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New file is going up now. Haven't scoured yet, but seems like there are still rookies to be had out there, too. New file will be dated January 27, 1965. Also, I expanded active rosters to 50 players through spring training. Mostly because it's easier for me to drag and drop DFA'd players to the active roster rather than put them in the minors or to let the computer OTTO do it.

It'll go back to 25-man before the start of the season.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just realizing that the 4th of July is Friday, would it be better for everyone is pushed everything back a night going into last-chance exports and the season? So in other words, we'd give everyone until Saturday night to do their last chance export? The only difference would be that I'd sim the entire season on Sunday, rather than staggering it between the days.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
muns
Pro Starter

im on call this weekend, and cant do crap, so im good with what everyone else wants to do.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
im on call this weekend, and cant do crap, so im good with what everyone else wants to do.

I am fine either way, but wouldn't mind waiting until Saturday if it meant an extra day to explore trades.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Let's do that then. We'll postpone final exports until Saturday at 10pm.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am pretty happy with the offseason so far. I don't like rebuilding projects, so I feel that I have managed to keep my club on the field from last year with a few additions, but also stock up the farm system in a major way.

I didn't get alot of the guys I wanted, as most teams had a ton more money than I did. (I've only been able to spend something like 6million total in FA so far, and not much more to go), but I did get 5 or 6 of the targeted players that I wanted badly, plus another 10-12 other so-so players who I'll take a gamble with.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Floyd Yarbrough (El Paso) gets a $25 million dollar signing bonus. (Well, it's a 1-year deal..but we know those deals amount to signing bonuses since the rookies revert to MLC after their first year anyway) Niiicee. I bet I know who'll be getting CRE'd.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-02-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

Holy crap. I didn't get any of the minor leaguers I tried to sign, and many of them signed with other teams to a minor league deal. It almost seems like I did something wrong with the export.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
muns
Pro Starter

Im as happy as I could be right now. After missing the first file due to server problems, I ended up getting the 3 guys I wanted in the FA market this file in SS Luis Lopez, 3b Frank Adams and Rookie SP Gabriel Riggs. I then made a deal with St. Louis to get an upgrade in a closer in Mark Johnson and another good SP in Gabriel Prado. THe Offseason was kind enough to me this year I think.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
Huckleberry
College Starter

Holy crap. This sucks.

I offered William Davis $10.9M for one year to be my exemption. He signed with Valdosta for $1.39M for one year. WTF?

I am scared to look at everyone else I offered. But I know I offered Roberto Gomez more than he signed for with Valdosta as well. This really sucks.

And I didn't mess up the export. I have messages in-game where Davis confirms my 10.9M offer. He then updates me that he's leaning toward Ann Arbor's "$0 over 0 years" contract which I assume was a minor league deal. Finally, he signs with Valdosta.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 07-02-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Holy crap. I didn't get any of the minor leaguers I tried to sign, and many of them signed with other teams to a minor league deal. It almost seems like I did something wrong with the export.

Nah, signing minor leaguers in OOTP is an absolute crapshoot. I would strongly consider trying to offer them a lil' cash if you want to get them for sure. A tip to note is that if you offer a kid money as a rookie, after the first year his contract reverts to a minor league deal...so...the first year deal amounts to a signing bonus.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Holy crap. This sucks.

I offered William Davis $10.9M for one year to be my exemption. He signed with Valdosta for $1.39M for one year. WTF?

I am scared to look at everyone else I offered. But I know I offered Roberto Gomez more than he signed for with Valdosta as well. This really sucks.

And I didn't mess up the export. I have messages in-game where Davis confirms my 10.9M offer. He then updates me that he's leaning toward Ann Arbor's "$0 over 0 years" contract which I assume was a minor league deal. Finally, he signs with Valdosta.

I'm not sure if it happened to you, but I got a ton of those same messages for guys who said they liked my offer and then later signed with Boston and Ann Arbor. Some of the messages were things like they looked into my organization and didn't like what they saw or something along those lines. So I had kind of the same thing happen but in reverse with other clubs.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nah, signing minor leaguers in OOTP is an absolute crapshoot. I would strongly consider trying to offer them a lil' cash if you want to get them for sure. A tip to note is that if you offer a kid money as a rookie, after the first year his contract reverts to a minor league deal...so...the first year deal amounts to a signing bonus.

didnt know that, thanks for that tip DC
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
didnt know that, thanks for that tip DC

You HAVE to make sure it's a 1-year deal. If you offer a multi-year deal, then that's not the case. The flip side is, a kid might not want a multi-year deal. Sorta like real life. I like the fact that the most money doesn't always get the kid.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #22
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'm not sure if it happened to you, but I got a ton of those same messages for guys who said they liked my offer and then later signed with Boston and Ann Arbor. Some of the messages were things like they looked into my organization and didn't like what they saw or something along those lines. So I had kind of the same thing happen but in reverse with other clubs.

Well, here's the William Davis chronology:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis
I'm leaning toward your offer of $10,960,000 a year over the next 1 year, though I'm still waiting to see if anyone else will make me a better offer

Later the same day

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis
I'm leaning toward going elsewhere. I think the Ann Arbor organization has my best interests at heart. The Wolverines are offering me $0 over a period of 0 years. You still have some time if you want to make me a counteroffer, but you'd better not wait too long

Four days later

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTP Messages
You have just been informed by W. Davis that he has signed a contract with the Valdosta Peanuts

I just want to know how many and what kind of perks Ann Arbor was offering.

Seriously, that's a lot of free booze. Eleven million dollars worth.

[

Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #23
muns
Pro Starter

HA great post
Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well.. all I can say is that I offer the free agents peanuts.. literally.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I won't deny that I've been eying Christian Larsen for years now and so I'm thrilled that he's decided to come to St. Louis. The Prado deal was huge and I can't deny that I'm a little sad to see him leave St. Louis, but..I think that we really needed to bolster our offense, knowing that 7th in the league in batting wasn't going to cut it again next year. We have enough pitching that I didn't think that keeping him -- or his salary -- were really a long term benefit to the ballclub.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-02-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #26
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So I am going through my mail right now for the first time with the new files. I come to one of the rookies I sign. I offered a couple veterans deals so I thought he was one of them at first. His comment was....

"This wasn't a very easy decision for me to make, because my family loved living in our old city with my old team. However, I've talked it over with them, and we can't pass up the chance to join with you. I'm looking forward to winning with you in the future."

He is 18 years old and just out of high school. I wonder how many kids he has had already?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure if it happened to you, but I got a ton of those same messages for guys who said they liked my offer and then later signed with Boston and Ann Arbor.

I'm just opening the file now, so this warms my heart
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I got some decent kids I guess. Not the best ones out there which I clearly failed at making offers for. Now I know what to offer for a guy when I know his deal will be reset to minor league status though. We did grab a couple young catchers which this franchise needs badly. Hopefully one works out.

Big news in Rio Grande is we signed Tyler Reilly from BAL. This gives us a solid firstbaseman and Buck or Cherry can be traded or sent to the minors.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #29
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Really happy to land RF Steve Williams off the champion St Louis roster, adding another big bat. That's two big hitters added to our lineup. Plus a ton of rookies into our farm system that should help shore it up.

I don't think I'll be challenging Charleston this year (still a bit average in pitching), but I ought to at least scare them a little bit.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #30
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Question: Not having played OOTP in a while I don't remember if certain things have negative/positive effects on players. Would having these young rookies up in Spring Training make a difference either way for them?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Really happy to land RF Steve Williams off the champion St Louis roster, adding another big bat. That's two big hitters added to our lineup. Plus a ton of rookies into our farm system that should help shore it up.

I don't think I'll be challenging Charleston this year (still a bit average in pitching), but I ought to at least scare them a little bit.

Huge signing for you. I almost tried to resign him, but in the end, decided to cut bait. He should serve you well after his big year.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Question: Not having played OOTP in a while I don't remember if certain things have negative/positive effects on players. Would having these young rookies up in Spring Training make a difference either way for them?

I think Spring training is the one time that allows people to learn new positions and grow beyond any other time in-game. But with no injuries and fatigue on very low during spring training, shouldn't hurt much or their development in my estimation since they're not "really" in the majors yet.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks.

I don't have much talent in the minors anyway, so I thought I would go for it unless it was possible hurt them in some way.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I processed all of the CREs that have been turned in. The trade deadline, due to the pushback of the export deadline to Saturday night is now tomorrow night (Friday night) rather than tonight. As are the deadline for CREs to be turned in.

Just an FYI.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just a heads up, I'm heading to Chicago suburbs tonight. No internet where I'm going so, I might not get exports downloaded tonight depending on what's going on and so it might not be until tomorrow sometime that I manage to get them processed.

We'll see what happens and go from there, but I wanted to give you all a heads up.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #36
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Floyd Yarbrough (El Paso) gets a $25 million dollar signing bonus. (Well, it's a 1-year deal..but we know those deals amount to signing bonuses since the rookies revert to MLC after their first year anyway) Niiicee. I bet I know who'll be getting CRE'd.

Sadly, this is not correct as we first thought. The salaries get renewed as they are, not down to minimum.

Would have been an interesting loop hole, but it's not the case.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #37
Tellistto
College Prospect

For instance...

Rick Inman that was signed by Charleston last season to a 10,190,000 one year deal is still on a 10,190,000 deal for the 1965 season.

The reason we thought the salaries went to minimum is because the salary reports shows that they do, this in reality is a presentation error by the game.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
For instance...

Rick Inman that was signed by Charleston last season to a 10,190,000 one year deal is still on a 10,190,000 deal for the 1965 season.

The reason we thought the salaries went to minimum is because the salary reports shows that they do, this in reality is a presentation error by the game.

Tell

Well that's a huge farking bug.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well that's a huge farking bug.

Wow...yeah.

Hmm, I depend on those reports a lot. It would be a pain in the ass to have to check into that everytime. Maybe we can institute something where a minor league player is paid that salary in his first season (the "bonus" as you said), and then just going in and switching him to an MLC for the next year.

BTW, I don't have any rookies making more than around $500K, so this isn't for me personally. I just don't think it's necessarily good to have that in the game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #40
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow...yeah.

Hmm, I depend on those reports a lot. It would be a pain in the ass to have to check into that everytime. Maybe we can institute something where a minor league player is paid that salary in his first season (the "bonus" as you said), and then just going in and switching him to an MLC for the next year.

BTW, I don't have any rookies making more than around $500K, so this isn't for me personally. I just don't think it's necessarily good to have that in the game.

I agree that that does suck and going back and forth hopefully gets fixed soon, but having DC go through every Rookie contract and change it back to a minor league deal would be asking a lot of him, maybe a little bit to much.

Im not sure where I sit on this yet. Leaving it the way it is would involve more strategy and gambles by using money on the young and up coming guys, but eats away money as those guys arent gonna be cheap not be ready for a few years. With the cap coming into play (pretty soon id guess) gotta make wise decesions with your money.

We could do something like the CRE list that we have going on now, and cap it at like 3-5 guys per team, that way its not a total crap shoot with the rookies and GM'S that really want guys can offer to pay them and have a better shot at landing them. Again though, its gonna be some work for DC even if we do cap it and post it in a thread so he could see it in one spot.

I dont know, im looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks on this especially DC.

Last edited by muns : 07-04-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #41
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hey guys, it is obviously a bug, but it is not earth shattering and isn't anything that DC probably needs to manually deal with. Guys that auto-renew their contract for the amount that you signed them for give you a few options:

1) You can either let them autorenew for that same contract
2) You can release/trade them
3) You can negotiate a new contract extension. In some cases the amount they ask for might not be less, but I would bet if you are talking about minor league quality players the most they will ask for is somewhere around the major league contract minimum (maybe instead of 190k a year, they might ask for 300k or 400k a year instead).

So yes the salary report thing is a bug, it should report what their contract really will renew for.. but I don't think this is a case where we need to have DC manually do anything for us. I personally think it is kind of a loophole if you are willing to sign someone for multi-millions of dollars for them suddenly to agree to stay for no salary anyways.

So yeah, without having to have DC do anything, you can't keep these guys at minor league contracts the next few years, but you also likely can re-sign them for something fairly affordable.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm about to do exports now. I just got a chance to get some internet and so..I'm going to bring them in and then sim to Spring Training and run through it to the start of opening day and that way, you all will get umm..until tomorrow night at 10pm to set your lineups and junk. I probably won't get to import for the new season until Sunday sometime but...at least we'll be semi-on schedule or something.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Hey guys, it is obviously a bug, but it is not earth shattering and isn't anything that DC probably needs to manually deal with. Guys that auto-renew their contract for the amount that you signed them for give you a few options:

1) You can either let them autorenew for that same contract
2) You can release/trade them
3) You can negotiate a new contract extension. In some cases the amount they ask for might not be less, but I would bet if you are talking about minor league quality players the most they will ask for is somewhere around the major league contract minimum (maybe instead of 190k a year, they might ask for 300k or 400k a year instead).

So yes the salary report thing is a bug, it should report what their contract really will renew for.. but I don't think this is a case where we need to have DC manually do anything for us. I personally think it is kind of a loophole if you are willing to sign someone for multi-millions of dollars for them suddenly to agree to stay for no salary anyways.

So yeah, without having to have DC do anything, you can't keep these guys at minor league contracts the next few years, but you also likely can re-sign them for something fairly affordable.

I think this makes the most sense. I think the CRE is a good idea, but besides that..let's just keep it cool. The loophole would've been fine, but since it's not a loophole, I think it's cool to keep it in such a manner that we can at least keep it relatively easy to count and keep track of.

But if you all have other ideas, we can try something different maybe.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Spring Training simmed. Uploading the file now. I'll post on the league file thread when it's done.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #45
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Okay, I'm now ready to get behind the 33 man roster

Okay, a 28 man roster would be fine.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Okay, I'm now ready to get behind the 33 man roster

Okay, a 28 man roster would be fine.

hahaha...I bet.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #47
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Are the minors roster limits staying at 40 now? I am guessing the majors will get cut to 25 (sitting at 50 right now), but are the minors?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I have AAA, AA and A at 40. I have Rookie and SS-A unlimited.

I have internet now, so I'll be loading the league file tonight at 10pm Eastern and depending on how things are going, might run the season right after that.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm also going to create the feeder leagues again for this season and see if they work as intended for next year. I mean, it can't hurt. If it doesn't, then it doesn't, but...I figure it's worth a try.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #50
muns
Pro Starter

Sweet DC on both accounts. Really looking forward to seeing If I can compete this year with the big boys

Last edited by muns : 07-05-2008 at 09:42 PM.