Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2023, 01:55 PM   #2251
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But that's kind of close to the definition of "lack of institutional control"
Btw, it is not a NCAA violation for staff to provide local transportation to players. It is only impermissible if they allowed the player to use the car.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-28-2023 at 01:55 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:04 PM   #2252
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Maybe? But then you have to prove someone knew this was happening.
I'm going to take this back. It wouldn't be "lack of institutional control" because the NCAA doesn't regulate the use of vehicles for staff. Her using the car in and of itself is not regulated by the NCAA. It would only become a question when a player or recruit was in the car, and again reading the permissible/non-permissible actions for staff, giving a ride locally is permissible.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:22 PM   #2253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Maybe? But then you have to prove someone knew this was happening.

Which is very much the question that I said needs to be answered.

The question then becomes what other services were being provided and where do those fit under the few remaining NCAA rules.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:07 PM   #2254
Edward64
Head Coach

I’ve not kept up with all the details but having a chauffeur business to pick up drunk players seems like a good idea. Did they ever say if driver LeCroy was drunk or impaired?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:39 PM   #2255
GrantDawg

Aa far as I have seen, she wasn't. It does take some time to get official toxicology reports, though.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2023, 02:11 AM   #2256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I’ve not kept up with all the details but having a chauffeur business to pick up drunk players seems like a good idea. Did they ever say if driver LeCroy was drunk or impaired?

Waiting on toxicology. State crime lab is perpetually backed up so it takes weeks. Police have indicated there were no obvious signs of alcohol use at the scene.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #2257
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Georgia QB Stetson Bennett arrested on public intoxication charge

Not a great look for a guy hoping to get drafted, but hey, who hasn't been wasted banging on random doors at 7:10 AM on a Sunday morning. Must have been one hell of a mimosa bar.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:22 PM   #2258
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I hope he has a big cigar hanging out of his mouth in his mug shot.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:46 PM   #2259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not a great look for a guy hoping to get drafted, but hey, who hasn't been wasted banging on random doors at 7:10 AM on a Sunday morning. Must have been one hell of a mimosa bar.

More and more, I hear the word "insufferable" used to describe him by folks here who've encountered him in Athens over the past year.

Seems like one of those guys who is more likable the less you actually know him.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #2260
GrantDawg

Quote:
More and more, I hear the word "insufferable" used to describe him by folks here who've encountered him in Athens over the past year.

Seems like one of those guys who is more likable the less you actually know him.
The story is good. In reality, most guys that have that kind of drive are usually dicks.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #2261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sure got their "fixer" on scene in a hurry. But no point paying him $200k a year if you don't get him in place in a hurry I guess.

UGA football official Bryant Gantt's presence at a fatal crash scene involving players raises questions about the incident and the investigation
Old 02-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #2262
Ksyrup

Harvey Keitel is getting a little slow in his old age.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-03-2023, 03:17 PM   #2263
bob
College Starter

"...one of the greatest offensive minds in college football."

If anyone believes this, please put on tape of the OSU, Marshall, Cal, Stanford, and Navy (H2) games.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:40 PM   #2264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
"...one of the greatest offensive minds in college football."

If anyone believes this, please put on tape of the OSU, Marshall, Cal, Stanford, and Navy (H2) games.
Heh that was kinda my reaction. He's very young, probably getting better, but that offense hasn't been "great" and there were some odd PT decisions early. His ND ties/love also helped in recruiting but it's such a short term position these days I even reversed myself on the timing being bad - limits the pool of choices a bit, but probably better now than when the portal is open and in mid swing. We'll see who they get - heck I even wonder if they'd try to get someone with ties to Hartman or the offense he ran at Wake.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:41 PM   #2265
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Turning down Kelly and LSU only to leave for Saban and Bama a year later is a great storyline.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:51 PM   #2266
Ksyrup

When I think of Tommy Rees I think of Major Applewhite for some reason.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:06 PM   #2267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like OU and Texas will be early exiting the B12 after all. $100 million and they can leave after this season.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:39 PM   #2268
Edward64
Head Coach

Alright!

Looking for more high-level competition (theoretically) in the next several years.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:07 PM   #2269
Edward64
Head Coach

I don’t know if I’d be for the SEC change to division-less, hard to picture with so many teams. Texas doesn’t care much about the Hogs but would like to see them as 1 of the permanent matchups to relive the SWC days.

Quote:
While many administrators are now leaning to move to a division-less, nine-game conference schedule, additional revenue from ESPN is a missing piece in that decision. With more inventory—an extra league game—the conference wants more cash. In the nine-game format, each team would play three permanent opponents and a rotation of six others, assuring that each member would meet every team in the league twice in a four-year cycle—once at home and once away.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:09 AM   #2270
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like OU and Texas will be early exiting the B12 after all. $100 million and they can leave after this season.

This seems like bad news for the ACC, unless ESPN really wants to keep them together. The Big 12 supposedly had a grant of rights until 2099 and it seems like that is worth up to $50M per school based on this. ACC is a little different because their TV deal is was/ longer than B12’s, but the unofficial word is that ESPN is favoring the Big 12 over the P12 as part of this deal.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:22 AM   #2271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

2099? That's a typo, right?

Big 12 nears six-year, $2.28B TV extension deal with ESPN, Fox
New contract seems to be 6 year starting in 2025

Also, all of this is clearly TV driven. ESPN promised things to conferences if they would go grab others. Pay more for the SEC and Big10, which weakens and cheapens the Big XII and PAC.

It seems like next step is for the Big XII to go raid the four corners and maybe Oregon/Washington, if they're not holding out for Big10 or SEC only. Then the PAC is dissolved and that means paying real money for one fewer conference. Then, when the ACC contract runs out in the 2030s, the Big10 and SEC pick up its best members, the others maybe find a landing spot in the Big XII and whatever else is left. And then the two big football powers pull away from the NCAA and who knows what else comes of that. What happens to the NCAA tournament? What happens to the remaining conferences? Do the Big10 and SEC start kicking out long standing members for the remaining outstanding properties (for instance, does the SEC kick out Ole Miss and South Carolina in exchange for Washington and Oregon, etc)?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:58 AM   #2272
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have seen 2099 and also seen stuff like this, saying that they agreed to stay together for 99 years: Is Oklahoma going to the SEC? What we know about possible Big 12 exit

None of it matters in the end, I guess. It’s up to ESPN.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #2273
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I have seen 2099 and also seen stuff like this, saying that they agreed to stay together for 99 years: Is Oklahoma going to the SEC? What we know about possible Big 12 exit

None of it matters in the end, I guess. It’s up to ESPN.

Yup. Contracts can always be breached. Then you pay damages. And if it makes more sense to breach and pay damages, then that's what you do.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:52 PM   #2274
Swaggs
Coordinator

My take, based on different sources is that the SEC and ESPN are full, in bed together, partners above all else. The ESPN and B10 play nice with one another and need one another, but are not fully dependent on each other because of B10’s relationship with Fox and the Big Ten Network. The ACC (primarily basketball) has long been favored by ESPN, but they had poor leadership during the last two rounds of negotiations and have ended up locked into an under market, long-term deal with ESPN that lasts well past every one else’s deals, so their schools know they are going to fall dramatically behind in the next ten years and the football-centric schools are not cool with that.

And the Big 12 and Pac 12 (prior to OU/UT and USC/UCLA being snagged up) were about on par with the ACC, but were both fortunate to have shorter TV deals. ESPN and the SEC want OU/UT now and the B12 schools (even Texas and Oklahoma) were willing to work things out together without as much hostility as there has been in these last few rounds of expansion and the Big 12 did reasonably well backfilling, so ESPN prioritized them over the PAC 12 (or possibly the B12 was willing to play ball with ESPN and the PAC wanted to shop around), but now the market for the PAC 12 has not materialized as expected. It also sounds like the PAC commish over promised the remaining schools and they are frustrated with the size of the offers they are getting now (they thought there would be more money from streaming services that they could couple with ESPN and/or Fox, but the Amazon-NFL games did so poorly this year and streaming services aren’t interested in getting the leftover games after ESPN and Fox gets the good games). Have seen some talk that the PAC could expand (San Diego St and SMU, possibly FresnoSt) and give largely reduced rates to new teams and disproportionately large payments to schools like Oregon and Washington, but that has historically not gone well and won’t make schools like Utah/Colorado/ASU/Arizona happy. The Big 12 would like to add those four, it appears, but would prefer UW and Oregon if they are at all available.

Meanwhile, WVU still finds itself wishing it could be in the ACC with our rivals, but it won’t make financial sense for a number of years, if ever. Or if the ACC would even be interested. And, by the time it does, it is possible the ACC grant of rights will have few enough years that the SEC and B12 will have poached the most valuable schools and left the Wale Forests and Boston Colleges behind.

And Notre Dame remains, infuriatingly to the rest of us, somehow above the fray
Old 02-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #2275
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If I read between the lines correctly, much of the $100 million is actually going to Fox to pay them back for the loss of 7 OU/UT games ... and seems to have come down to (essentially) ESPN being willing to write checks that will eventually end up in Fox coffers.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:26 PM   #2276
Ksyrup

Has to be partly in preparation for the expanded playoff and the SEC wanting its full membership intact when that starts.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #2277
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
If I read between the lines correctly, much of the $100 million is actually going to Fox to pay them back for the loss of 7 OU/UT games ... and seems to have come down to (essentially) ESPN being willing to write checks that will eventually end up in Fox coffers.

Everything that I have seen has said that the money will be distributed evenly between the 8 remaining schools.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:17 PM   #2278
Swaggs
Coordinator

Look like Fox may be getting $20M and the other 8 schools $10M each. Plus, ESPN seems like they are taking care of Texas and OU here by taking care of the B12 on their new deal. No pay cut and, it sounds like a slight increase, which seemed improbable when it was first announced.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #2279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Look like Fox may be getting $20M and the other 8 schools $10M each. Plus, ESPN seems like they are taking care of Texas and OU here by taking care of the B12 on their new deal. No pay cut and, it sounds like a slight increase, which seemed improbable when it was first announced.

per CBS article

The 8 schools gave up $16 million each ($8m/year) in future money to enable the 4 new schools to be added. They will use some of the exit fees money to make those eight (closer to) whole from that loss.

per ESPN article "a portion" of the $100 million will go to Fox ... though they say the key to the deal wasn't the money but rather allowing the Michigan/Texas non-conference games to flip home dates, giving Fox Texas at Michigan in 2024 (was originally in Austin, which would have given it to ESPN)
Old 02-14-2023, 10:16 AM   #2280
GrantDawg

Todd Monken has taken a job with the Ravens, so it is Bobo time part deux. Considering the number fans that hated him so much the first time, this should be entertaining.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #2281
miami_fan
Coordinator

Have the Stetson Bennett to Ravens rumors begun?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:11 PM   #2282
Edward64
Head Coach

Dunno, but I’d love to see him get a shot to start on Sun.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:57 PM   #2283
Atocep
Coordinator

Shannon Dawson and Mario Christobal has to be one of the weirder OC/HC pairings and one set up to fail.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:05 AM   #2284
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Mike Bobo - LOL. The phone call is coming from inside the house. . .
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:32 PM   #2285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dunno, but I’d love to see him get a shot to start on Sun.

Oh I would too.

That would quickly put to rest the comical notion that he's anything other than the least talented QB to win a national title in years.

It needs to happen, otherwise we're gonna get stuck with him as a U.S. Senator in a few years.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:39 PM   #2286
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh I would too.

That would quickly put to rest the comical notion that he's anything other than the least talented QB to win a national title in years.

It needs to happen, otherwise we're gonna get stuck with him as a U.S. Senator in a few years.

I saw him discussed somewhere else yesterday and it had me wondering how many d1 quarterbacks win a national title with this Georgia team. I'd say the over/under probably starts at 30 and that's probably low.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:13 PM   #2287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I saw him discussed somewhere else yesterday and it had me wondering how many d1 quarterbacks win a national title with this Georgia team. I'd say the over/under probably starts at 30 and that's probably low.

It wasn't a great year for QBs, but two dozen or more certainly seems reasonable.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #2288
Edward64
Head Coach

There were 2 more supposedly highly qualified QBs that started and he beat out in 2 different years. Shoot, put me under center at AL and I could probably get 5 wins.

Give the man his due. He has an X factor for the college game. Whether it translates to pros is definitely no sure thing (just like all the failed to mediocre great college QBs before him.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:18 PM   #2289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What a bunch of pussies. They know we are headed in the right direction and are afraid to play us.

https://gohuskies.com/news/2023/2/15...ashington.aspx
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:40 PM   #2290
GrantDawg

Stetson will fail for the same reason Bryce Young will fail. 5'9 and 190 pounds, neither will stand up to the beating. At least Young has a better arm.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:08 PM   #2291
Edward64
Head Coach

Doug Flutie is giving you the finger
Old 02-17-2023, 10:57 PM   #2292
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I don’t know if I’d be for the SEC change to division-less, hard to picture with so many teams. Texas doesn’t care much about the Hogs but would like to see them as 1 of the permanent matchups to relive the SWC days.

CBS Sports is projecting Hogs 3 permanent rivals as Texas, LSU and Missouri (but they also seemingly change their draft picks every week).

I’ll take it. I prefer Ole Miss to Missouri but love Texas and LSU.

SEC football schedule: Creating the perfect matchups for each team when Texas, Oklahoma join in 2024 season - CBSSports.com
Old 02-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #2293
GrantDawg

Quote:
CBS Sports is projecting Hogs 3 permanent rivals as Texas, LSU and Missouri (but they also seemingly change their draft picks every week).

I’ll take it. I prefer Ole Miss to Missouri but love Texas and LSU.

SEC football schedule: Creating the perfect matchups for each team when Texas, Oklahoma join in 2024 season - CBSSports.com
This scheduling means Georgia loses Tennessee as a yearly rival game. That sort of stinks, but we keep Auburn and Florida which were musts. South Carolina I guess makes more sense than Tennessee, but the Tennessee game generally means more to fans.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #2294
Edward64
Head Coach

Auburn looks to have the worst of it with AL and GA in their 3.

Don’t envy them.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:13 AM   #2295
GrantDawg

Florida getting Kentucky is weird. Really several of these are weird. and makes me think this isn't the final. Why Wouldn't Kentucky and Missouri be on each others list? Why Would Missou have South Carolina on theirs? It would make more sense to keep it as regional rivals.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #2296
RainMaker
General Manager

The issue with Bennett isn't necessarily height, it's that he doesn't have NFL arm strength. You can't be short and have no arm.

Not to take away what he did in college, but he was also 25 playing against guys 3-4 years younger. He won't have that maturity or experience advantage in the NFL.

There might be a team willing to toss a day 3 pick on him and hope he can be a decent backup. But I feel like you'd be better suited to take a flyer on someone like Clayton Tune or Aidan O'Connell who at least have NFL arm strength.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:52 PM   #2297
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think there's any way for the superconferences to make sense from a scheduling standpoint anyway. There's just too many teams to both have the conferences matter and have traditional rivalries matter. Whether they want to or not, they're going to have to pick one or the other.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #2298
Edward64
Head Coach

From the article’s 3 permanent SEC rivalry games, I think at least 2 of 3 are reasonable to me. IMO the 3rd one is questionable for many.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:18 PM   #2299
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think there's any way for the superconferences to make sense from a scheduling standpoint anyway. There's just too many teams to both have the conferences matter and have traditional rivalries matter. Whether they want to or not, they're going to have to pick one or the other.

Not the worst point I've ever seen made tbh.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:49 PM   #2300
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'd say go 4x4 and either play 7 league games (at this point 16 is a league, not really a conference) or 11 league games. Probably the former because they gotta keep scheduling those cupcakes. Then a 4-team playoff.

(You know...if the leagues are going to be this large, I'd almost say screw any other bowl/championship setup anyway. I'd almost rather have the superconferences be insular. That or do two or four of these and have the winners sort things out and to hell with polls altogether.)