Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Shooting at courthouse in Downtown Atlanta

One station is reporting that a judge has died from his wounds. This is all I can find online at this point. News still coming in. It apparently happened around 45 minutes ago.

Quote:
Shooting reported at courthouse

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/11/05
A Fulton County deputy and one other person were shot Friday morning at the Fulton County Courthouse on Pryor Street in downtown Atlanta, police dispatchers said.

Dispatchers could not confirm television reports that the second victim was a Fulton County judge.

The conditions of those shot were not immediately known.

The suspect apparently carjacked at least one vehicle following the shooting, which occurred about 9 a.m.

Dispatchers said a lookout had been posted for a green Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape minivan.

A court administrator on the sixth floor of the courthouse said he heard shots shortly after 9 a.m., and the courthouse was put on lockdown afterwards.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

Geez. They're now reporting that a judge has died of his gunshot wounds, and two deputies have been taken to the hospital.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Now reporting that the suspect was able to take the gun of a deputy, held the courtroom hostage, shot the judge in the courtroom, ran outside, was confronted by a deputy outside who he also shot, then fled the scene by a carjacking.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Terrible. No doubt influenced by the Chicago incident.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
mhass
High School Varsity

They come in three's right? Skip a court date if you've got one.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Wow. Think this might end up on Law & Order?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

Court reporter has died also.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

It was Judge Roland Barnes who was killed. He presided over the trial of that hockey player in the death of his teammate.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

According to a Sheriff's department representative being interviewed live, the suspect shot four people, the judge, two deputies and a court clerk.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
According to a Sheriff's department representative being interviewed live, the suspect shot four people, the judge, two deputies and a court clerk.

Any info about the suspect - was he on trial, a spectator, etc.?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Any info about the suspect - was he on trial, a spectator, etc.?
He was being retried for "a particularly violent rape." Apparently there was a mistrial last week.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #12
KevinNU7
College Starter

Does Georgia have the death penalty?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Does Georgia have the death penalty?
This IS Georgia, now isn't it?

They just reported that the suspect may have carjacked as many as four different cars to confuse people in his escape, including an AJC reporter who he pistol-whipped before taking his car.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #14
Ksyrup

I hope this guy doesn't own Grand Theft Auto, or Jack Thompson is going to have a field day with this.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

MSNBC Article has a little more info...

Quote:
John Bazemore / AP
Judge reportedly killed
at Atlanta courthouse
Rape suspect takes gun from sheriff, wounds at least two others
Fulton County Superior Court Judge Roland Barnes, the justice reportedly shot dead Friday, is seen in a file photo from last month.

BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 10:19 a.m. ET March 11, 2005

ATLANTA - A judge was killed and at least two others wounded at the Fulton County Courthouse in downtown Atlanta on Friday, news reports said.

advertisement
NBC affiliate WXIA-TV reported that Superior Court Judge Roland Barnes was shot dead by a man who had been in court when he wrestled a gun from a sheriff, then began shooting.

At least one sheriff was wounded.

A third shooting reportedly was at a parking garage where the suspect stole a vehicle and then fled.

Witnesses said he later carjacked a second vehicle and police have been searching the area.

The shooting occurred shortly after 9 a.m. local time.

Police identified the suspect as a Brian Nichols, age 34, and a Fulton County resident.

Investigators tell NBC News that Nichols was in custody at the time of the shooting, facing rape charges.

This report will be updated as information becomes available.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #16
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
This IS Georgia, now isn't it?
I'll assume that means yes, I am a typical New Englander and don't know to much about most Southern States.

Anyways, I hope he burns
Old 03-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope this guy doesn't own Grand Theft Auto, or Jack Thompson is going to have a field day with this.

It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't, all the reports of carjacking will make GTA come up for debate. Dumb people...

Well, I asked off for work today and its a good thing. The Federal Center is like a few blocks from the Federal Courthouse.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #18
Ben E Lou

One deputy shot in head, another shot in chest. Another judge referred to "the deputy who is still alive" to a reporter. That doesn't sound good.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

I hate people sometimes.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
MSNBC Article has a little more info...

Police identified the suspect as a Brian Nichols

Ummm... HeavyReign lives in Washington, right?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #21
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Ummm... HeavyReign lives in Washington, right?
I KNEW that name sounded familiar!

Last edited by dacman : 03-11-2005 at 09:53 AM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Before the gun control nuts (yep, that's me) go nuts, from CNN:

Quote:
A defendant stole a weapon from a deputy and shot and killed Fulton County Superior Court Judge Rowland W. Barnes at an Atlanta courthouse today, officials told CNN. TV reports said a court reporter and two deputies may also have been shot. Officials said police were seeking a suspect identified as Bryan Nichols in downtown Atlanta.

If this is confirmed, I'm just

Also, if this is confirmed, there's no relation to the Chicago incident - it's just the opportunism of a psycho.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

My goodness. They're now thinking that he's gotten into a *fifth* vehicle.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #24
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
It doesn't matter if he does or doesn't, all the reports of carjacking will make GTA come up for debate. Dumb people...

Well, I asked off for work today and its a good thing. The Federal Center is like a few blocks from the Federal Courthouse.

This guy sounds like he is in GTA. And it is working for him, too. They were reporting he is in a green 1999 Toyota Accord, but now they are saying he is in a green Izuzu Trooper.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Faith in Georgia Law Enforcement declining....
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #26
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Crazy...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #27
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Also, if this is confirmed, there's no relation to the Chicago incident - it's just the opportunism of a psycho.

I don't know. It's the idea of violence against a Judge and those associated with the judicial system

The guy in Chicago, at least from what I've read of portions of the suicide note he left, intended to kill the Judge. He broke in at 8 in the morning, when she was already gone, and the husband and mother found him the basement, so he killed both of them. Then he hung around until 1:15, when he decided that "killing wasn't so much fun" (or something along those lines), and he took off.

This is obviously a bit more brazen, but it's similar. Of course, this guy has the added element of attempting to flee a potential incarceration, but still, he can't really think he's going to get away. I bet this was about making a statement first, getting away second. Otherwise, there's no need to kill the Judge when you can escape. The Judge is in the least likely position to stop someone from exiting a courtroom.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #28
Ben E Lou

Quote:
This is obviously a bit more brazen, but it's similar. Of course, this guy has the added element of attempting to flee a potential incarceration, but still, he can't really think he's going to get away. I bet this was about making a statement first, getting away second. Otherwise, there's no need to kill the Judge when you can escape. The Judge is in the least likely position to stop someone from exiting a courtroom.
That's an excellent point, one that I haven't thought about. The thing that stuns me is that this guy did this on the sixth floor of a courthouse at 9 in the morning and was able to get out of there. I've been on a jury in DeKalb County, so I can say first-hand how many armed law enforcement officers are in there at that time of day. It is *very* busy. I would imagine Fulton's is even busier than DeKalb's.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Ksyrup: Good points. I guess it just didn't seem as "premeditated" as the Chicago incident was.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #30
Ksyrup

It definitely wasn't as premeditated - the guy in Chicago lost a civil suit and had been stewing about it for months (and the case in general for years), I think. This was definitely something that couldn't have occurred without the opportunity, but I'm betting he noticed a pattern in the manner in which law enforcement acted in the courtroom and figured he might be able to do something. Maybe he figured he wouldn't even get out of the courtroom alive, but wanted to take the Judge down with him. I bet he was as surprised as anyone to be out on the street, which is probably why he's panicking and stealing every other car on the road. He probably figured he'd either be stopped or dead by now.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #31
Ben E Lou

AP is now reporting that one sheriff's deputy is dead.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #32
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN.com
Renee Rockwell, a defense attorney, said she was on her way to the courtroom immediately following the shooting, when a deputy grabbed her and pulled her into an elevator. "While we were in the elevator, one of the female deputies started crying and said, 'The defendant took the deputy's gun and held the courtroom hostage and shot the judge.'

Somebody explain to me why this does not say that multiple deputies were hiding in an elevator while the man escaped.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #33
Ksyrup

CNN has an article (dated, beccause it still discusses the possible white supremacist ties to the Chicago case) on Judge killings. Perhaps I've been living on the moon for the past 20 years, but I had absolutely no idea about this:

U.S. District Judge John Wood was slain by a sniper outside his home in San Antonio. The killer was hired because defendants in a Colombian drug-smuggling case before the judge believed he would impose a maximum sentence on them. Charles Harrelson, the father of actor Woody Harrelson, was convicted and sentenced to two life terms in the first assassination of a federal judge in the 20th century.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #34
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Somebody explain to me why this does not say that multiple deputies were hiding in an elevator while the man escaped.
Well, from that account, it is unclear whether or not those particular deputies were armed, how "immediately" after the shooting this took place, and whether or not they were going *down* the elevator to search on the street.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #35
Ben E Lou

Suspect vehicle may have been found abandoned at an apartment complex.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #36
bbor
Pro Starter

Horrible.....and senseless.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #37
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I just found out that I knew this guy.

He worked downstairs as a UNIX admin and I had also talked to him a few times outside of the office at a party.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #38
KWhit
Coordinator

They have now locked down all the schools in the area, so this guy can't get in one and take hostages.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #39
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Well, from that account, it is unclear whether or not those particular deputies were armed, how "immediately" after the shooting this took place, and whether or not they were going *down* the elevator to search on the street.

Armed or not I will grant you.

But if they were going down the elevator to attempt to apprehend the suspect, why exactly would they be pulling a citizen into the elevator?

The unarmed explanation is the only valid one I can see as of now.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #40
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I thought his dad was in jail on drug charges...I had no idea he murdered a judge.

This whole situation is terrible. Hopefully they catch the bastard and fry his ass...

Apparently he "ordered" the hit, I don't think he actually committed the crime.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #41
KWhit
Coordinator

They are reporting on TV that they think they may have the suspect surrounded in a location and are about to move in.

They are being very vague in the report so as not to tip him off, but evidently, the police believe they know where he is.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #42
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
CNN has an article (dated, beccause it still discusses the possible white supremacist ties to the Chicago case) on Judge killings. Perhaps I've been living on the moon for the past 20 years, but I had absolutely no idea about this:

U.S. District Judge John Wood was slain by a sniper outside his home in San Antonio. The killer was hired because defendants in a Colombian drug-smuggling case before the judge believed he would impose a maximum sentence on them. Charles Harrelson, the father of actor Woody Harrelson, was convicted and sentenced to two life terms in the first assassination of a federal judge in the 20th century.

I thought his dad was in jail on drug charges...I had no idea he murdered a judge.

This whole situation is terrible. Hopefully they catch the bastard and fry his ass...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Apparently he "ordered" the hit, I don't think he actually committed the crime.

Other way around. Judge Wood was known as someone who had no mercy in sentencing convicted drug offenders. There was a big time drug dealer, who after he found out his case was going to be tried by Judge Wood, put out a contract on the judge. Woody's dad evidently took the contract and carried out the hit.

Here's a story on the case: http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk...phy.php?id=925
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:19 AM   #44
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I just found out that I knew this guy.

He worked downstairs as a UNIX admin and I had also talked to him a few times outside of the office at a party.
He apparently lives in the area near your office, too.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #45
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
He apparently lives in the area near your office, too.

He lives in an apt. complex off Roswell Rd & 285...you can see it from the interstate. We initially met him because he lives next to one of my wife's very good friends. We were at one of their parties when I met him...we started talking about IT stuff and found that I work just one floor up from him. Seemed like a nice guy at the time.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #46
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

makes the his doing 'natural born killers' pretty surreal, doesnt it? especially since there was a deleted scene where he murdered people while on trial, in the courthouse.

and no offense meant at all to atlanta people, but it sure seems like you guys have been posting a lot of terrible news recently.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #47
JeeberD
General Manager

Deputy who had her gun taken from her was shot through the mouth, but she just got out of surgery and is alive...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #48
Ben E Lou

AJC reporter tells story of carjacking
Staff writer Don O'Briant, who was carjacked Friday morning, told this story while he was in the emergency room at Atlanta Medical Center getting stiches above his left eye, about 90 minutes after the carjacking happened.

Don O'Briant

I had just parked my car in the parking lot behind the Chinese restarurant at the corner of Spring Street and Marietta Street and was going to work, a little after 9 a.m.

This person pulled in beside me, and I noticed that he had pulled into a handicapped spot. He was a young, athletic looking black man, and he didn't have a shirt on, but I figured he was probably in town for the basketball tournament.

First he asked how to get to Lenox Square.

Then he pulled a gun and said "Give me your keys or I'll kill you!"

I gave him the keys, and then he said "Get in the trunk."

I said no. I thought maybe I was going to be killed, but I wasn't going to get in the trunk.

I turned to run, and that's when he hit me in the head with his gun. I fell down, and I got up and ran into a garbage bin. I got up again and ran.

I scrambled into the street, waiting for the shots to come, but they didn't come.

He must have been out of bullets, because he didn't shoot me.

I couldn't see, because blood was coming out all over my eye. I went to the Chinese restaurant and banged on the door, but there was no one there, so I started out into Marietta Street, and that's when I ran into co-worker Drew Jubera.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #49
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I couldn't see, because blood was coming out all over my eye. I went to the Chinese restaurant and banged on the door, but there was no one there, so I started out into Marietta Street, and that's when I ran into co-worker Drew Jubera.
Jeez, I feel I know this story backwards and forwards...I used to eat lunch at that Chinese place on Marietta and Spring about twice a week when I worked for the railroad.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #50
KevinNU7
College Starter

"Get in the trunk"

Holy shit! That is scare!