Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #51
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I like the theme idea as well. #2 works for me and Alan's 2 are pretty good. I have to go run some errands but can try and come up with something later in the day.

I am confused, no night kill and was anyone voted from the other tribes?

Tribal council is today, it wasn't run at night. There wasn't really a clear cut night phase like a typical WW thing. There was some volunteering thing last night -- BK hinted that there were some people that are more evil today than yesterday. But everything else hasn't happened yet.

Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #52
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like the theme idea as well. #2 works for me and Alan's 2 are pretty good. I have to go run some errands but can try and come up with something later in the day.

I am confused, no night kill and was anyone voted from the other tribes?

From the sounds of barkeep's post, the volunteers were picked as wolves from last night. I don't know if the other tribes have voted out someone yet or not, but I guess thats happening today? Maybe wolves did kill someone too? If it has happened then it probably happened in their team thread and we just don't know who was voted out and who was killed until we all come together tonight later on.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #53
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I guess no news is good news.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #54
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
From the sounds of barkeep's post, the volunteers were picked as wolves from last night. I don't know if the other tribes have voted out someone yet or not, but I guess thats happening today? Maybe wolves did kill someone too? If it has happened then it probably happened in their team thread and we just don't know who was voted out and who was killed until we all come together tonight later on.

If someone had died we'd know about it in the first post of the Challenge thread, I think. And we'd likely be hearing about it from the other tribes. We can infer from the thread titles of the other tribal threads that Tribal Council is happening today; I think BK himself also talked about this in the Challenge thread.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #55
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have an idea for the ryming poem but it may be a while

I'm more than happy if people want to throw out poem ideas, or their own haikus or limericks or acrostics. Or if they want to make suggestions for the examples i put out or whatever. I just tried to give examples mainly because when trying to figure out how to explain a limerick rhyming meter, I couldn't think of how to do it in text without writing badum badum badum alot

I used those posts as examples, I never was any good at poetry though
Old 02-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #56
Tyrith
College Starter

I seriously think that if we stick with this theme and we aren't aiming for everything to have massive humor value Alan's is pretty good; I'd focus on other things. The rhyming poem is probably going to need to be a true team effort rather than everyone throwing out possibilites and having us pick the best one. If anyone gets any ideas or possible poems done throw them out here and we can try to work with them.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
I seriously think that if we stick with this theme and we aren't aiming for everything to have massive humor value Alan's is pretty good; I'd focus on other things. The rhyming poem is probably going to need to be a true team effort rather than everyone throwing out possibilites and having us pick the best one. If anyone gets any ideas or possible poems done throw them out here and we can try to work with them.

I would like to hear what Gramm or Mr.W think about the theme before we set on it for sure. Lets give another 2 hours till like 1pm EST to see if they pop in. If they don't by then, I think we need to run with this theme probably if its what everyone likes the best.

Until we know for sure what theme, probably doesnt' make alot of sense to spend a ton of time writing a poem if its not the one we are sticking with. I did most of these as examples, and for the most part they were pretty quick other than the Acrostic.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #58
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I would like to hear what Gramm or Mr.W think about the theme before we set on it for sure. Lets give another 2 hours till like 1pm EST to see if they pop in. If they don't by then, I think we need to run with this theme probably if its what everyone likes the best.

Until we know for sure what theme, probably doesnt' make alot of sense to spend a ton of time writing a poem if its not the one we are sticking with. I did most of these as examples, and for the most part they were pretty quick other than the Acrostic.

Yeah, I'd be okay with waiting another couple of hours to say the theme for sure. I'm not going to be able to do any work until then anyway, and I will also likely be leaving around 5 CST for several hours. But if they don't have any severe objections then we can run with it.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #59
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be okay with waiting another couple of hours to say the theme for sure. I'm not going to be able to do any work until then anyway, and I will also likely be leaving around 5 CST for several hours. But if they don't have any severe objections then we can run with it.

I probably won't be able to dedicate enough time to write anything after about 6pm EST tonight. I'll be able to hop in and out until deadline, but most of my contribution will have to be this afternoon. So I hope they show up sooner than later
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

As I speak, both are in the thread reading now. So hopefully we can lock up a theme sooner and get to work on the painful part
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #61
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I think idea number 3 would be a lot easier to write about.

My other suggestion is to use the "Mannings" as a topic. Everyone seems to get a kick out of either good or bad Manning stuff.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #62
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Oh woops, just noticed, tonight's challenge ends at 7pm EST not 10pm EST. Not sure if anyone else didn't notice that. Could be important.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #63
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I'm on board with the theme that's been proposed, not least because we already seem to be off to a flying start on the acrostic, limerick, and haiku.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #64
Tyrith
College Starter

I know that regardless of what theme we pick I am not going to be a lot of help writing; I have extremely big mental blocks in the way here. However, I will try to do what I can, and offer all the advice and helpful thoughts I can.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #65
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I think idea number 3 would be a lot easier to write about.

My other suggestion is to use the "Mannings" as a topic. Everyone seems to get a kick out of either good or bad Manning stuff.

I think the mannings could be a fun theme, and wouldn't mind that either. I think after other people bringing up the fact we don't know who the judges will be, idea #3 might not be great. Ie: what if one of the judges is someone who doesn't think that theme is very funny or takes offense to it for some weird reason. We probably don't want to alienate the judges accidentally

Sounds like everyone is in favor of #2 other than Gramm. I would like to get a theme decided on though, and am pretty flexible either way. Gramm do you object to #2, or just prefer the others more? Anyone else prefer to do a different one from #2?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #66
Tyrith
College Starter

I think Mannings would have been a more funny theme if we could still mock Peyton for being a loser, but that option was taken away from us (thank goodness, because maybe people will get over their Tom Brady man crushes a little).
Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #67
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

If number two is what you guys want, I'll go with the flow. But I'm warning you, I have been thinking about content to write and I've got nothin on that subject. So I will likely be of little assistance.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #68
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Mannings would be fun, but I still prefer offseason.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #69
Tyrith
College Starter

I say we make Alan do most of the content and then just harass him when he screws up
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #70
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
If number two is what you guys want, I'll go with the flow. But I'm warning you, I have been thinking about content to write and I've got nothin on that subject. So I will likely be of little assistance.

I am pretty indifferent either way on what we choose. I just want us to choose something sooner than later is all. Sounds like right now the top 3 ideas are: Werewolf are second class citizen theme, time between football and baseball season and the mannings.

I think after hearing people's opinion on the WW theme, I'm not for that one anymore. I probably would rather do the seasonal theme over the manning theme only because of the time I spent on the Acrostic But I don't mind either.

Maybe we can just do this: Have everyone post which of the two they would prefer (manning or seasonal), and then post if they would be ok doing the other if they are in the minority? We can decide in the next 90 min or so hopefully? Sounds like most everyone is ok with the seasonal theme, but if people would rather do mannings we should.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #71
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I say we make Alan do most of the content and then just harass him when he screws up

I'll just buy the Mannings rhyme book.

Hey peyton your commercials are a hit,
I wish vs my falcons you played like sh.... err nevermind.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #72
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just trying to think of manning poems right now. Would we focus more on the good manning vs bad manning as in Eli vs Peyton?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #73
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I haven't put much thought into what we could write for either theme. I think we can all agree that none of us are going to be great writers or anything, but between us, we can put something together. I still have a slight preference toward the offseason, but I'm sure once we get rolling, we could do good work for either theme.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #74
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

hmmm

Their dad was a New Orleans saint
He played ball without any constraint
He showed them his ability,
and tought them civility
And now Indy fans have no complaint.

Eh, don't think this is as good. I'm having a tougher time figuring out ways to link the mannings here without getting into the brady vs manning thing of which probably would be dangerous to take a side on depending on who our judges are.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #75
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The biggest limitaiton on some themes I think is the size of the poems themselves. If you include names in the poem to reference your theme, you eat up alot of the syllables already.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #76
Tyrith
College Starter

I like the offseason theme because it gives us more flexibility to be both funny and just write solid poems (like the one Alan did earlier) instead of shoehorning ourselves into a situation where we have to be funny and we have to take a side someone might not like.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #77
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Here is a quick limerick on both subject:

There once was a fan from Green Bay
His team was grand and past its heyday
He stopped for some chow
Riding upn his old plow
If Brett could pitch, He’d love May day

There once was a Manning from York
He threw too high and cost a lot of pork
He held up the green
And said, looking lean
Phil Simms is a short little dork
Old 02-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #78
Tyrith
College Starter

I have to admit that the second one is funny, but I don't know if that's because of where I go to school and the fact that I'll take any chance to crack on Phil Simms.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #79
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think both of Gramm's limmericks were far better than any of the limmericks I did. Every time I try to think of a limmerick, I always end up at there once was a man from nantucket.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #80
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't think I get the second one.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #81
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was thinking of a ryming poem about the off season involving all the playoff teams
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The colts did the job in week one
and Romo became all thumbs
The eagles flew high
and the jets took a dive

Vinatieri shined bright in week two
and the Saints were led marching by Drew
Marty was Marty
and DA BEARS spoiled Hasselbecks party

Peyton took over week three
casting aside all the demons AND Tom Brady
Bears D came to play
and Reggie, Drew and Duece had to call it a day

then it was time for week four
Devon and the Bears sprinted through the door
Peyton didn't even bat an eye
And in the end of it all the Colts were riding high

Just a rough draft if you guys wanna try to work off of it or just scrap it.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #83
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The colts did the job in week one
and Romo became all thumbs
The eagles flew high
and the jets took a dive

Vinatieri shined bright in week two
and the Saints were led marching by Drew
Marty was Marty
and DA BEARS spoiled Hasselbecks party

Peyton took over week three
casting aside all the demons AND Tom Brady
Bears D came to play
and Reggie, Drew and Duece had to call it a day

then it was time for week four
Devon and the Bears sprinted through the door
Peyton didn't even bat an eye
And in the end of it all the Colts were riding high

Just a rough draft if you guys wanna try to work off of it or just scrap it.

I think it is pretty good, but it has nothing to do with the time between football and baseball.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #84
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That's really good -- although it seems more like a playoff theme, than an offseason theme.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #85
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think thats a pretty good poem Lathum, the only problem though is I don't know if it matches any of the current theme choices. Its more of a playoff theme poem which is fine if we want to go that way.

I think the problem is we need to settle on a theme once and for all. None of us wants to be the bad guy to come out and put their foot down, and its a bit unwieldy to take a vote on what we want. But we honestly need to decide on a theme soonish whatever it is.

I honestly don't care what we want as a theme, I'll work with it. We just need to decide soon
Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #86
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have any suggestions on how to decide on a theme?

How about everyone list their #1 choice, and the #2 choice. We can see who gets the most and just go with that. Will that work with everyone? We're all here right now it seems except Mr.W and he gave his thoughts earlier.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

does it say we have to have a specific theme? Can we just say something as generic as sports or football?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #88
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, we have to choose a theme to base all of our poems on. We could probably pick a pretty generic theme, but I bet it will get points off or not score as well as a specific theme will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

C'mon in Survivors.

I hope you had a nice night. I want to thank those of you who volunteered. Of course those who were chosen now are a little more evil than before, but let's not let that bother us.

On to today's reward challenge. In Werewolf words are important. It's how you decide who might be a wolf or how a wolf can save himself (or herself) from getting the ax. Today's challenge will test your abilities to use words. Each tribe is to pick a theme and you will then write four poems on that theme.

One poem will be an acrostic of at least 6 lines, one a limerick, one an 8-20 line poem with a rhyme scheme, and one a haiku.

The poems are due by 7 PM today here in the thread. You may post your poems all at once or separately as the day goes on, but once a poem is posted it may not be changed.

Today you'll be playing for something that can save you here on Werewolf Island. I have here two Werewolf Idols. One of them is filled with Wolfbane and will prevent a Werewolf attack from being successful. The other is useless. The winning tribe will decide, in their Tribal Thread, who gets these two Idols. After that the possessor of the Idols may keep or pass, publicly or privately, the Idols.

There might even be some celebrity judges coming to take a look at your poems, so I'd get to work.

Survivors ready? Go!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #89
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Personally,

1 - Mannings
2 - No Respect for WW
3 - Specific NFL team (any team, does not matter which)
4 - Playoffs (no specific year, just any playoff content is fair game)
5 - Time between Football and Baseball
Old 02-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #90
Tyrith
College Starter

I'm mostly ambivalent at this point...I liked the time between thing because we already had a good start, but I would just like to do something we can write good stuff for.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #91
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm mostly ambivalent at this point...I liked the time between thing because we already had a good start, but I would just like to do something we can write good stuff for.

I am not too worried about the head start. most of the stuff we can write in a short time on really any topic. Mostly worried about picking a topic where we dont end up bashing a judge's team/player or putting someone on a pedestal who the judges hate or despise.

So think Chicago bears bashing or Patriots bashing or Colts lauding or such would be bad. Same with Brady bashing, manning glorifying etc. Would hate to lose points just because we picked the wrong target to make fun of

If people would rather go a different direction, its ok with me.. should just decide is all.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #92
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Every time I try to think of a limerick about the mannings, it ends up being about adam vineteri instead.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #93
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Gramm, you seem to really be pushing the mannings more than anyone else is pushing something. I am just having a problem putting my head around this theme, can you explain a little more about what you think it should be involving?

I find it very hard to have a relationship between Peyton and Eli fit into either a haiku or a limmerick. With the other two poems, we could easily enough though. How do you forsee having a limmerick or haiku demonstrating the good manning vs bad manning angle you wanted?

I think thats my biggest issue with this theme, we'll end up with 4 poems that don't transition well. THey will end up being 4 entirely different poems than 4 poems on one theme.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #94
Tyrith
College Starter

I just don't feel comfortable making this decision because I'm not really going to be writing this stuff...I am more than willing and ready to help evaluate options, but if we're going to make a decision soon it's probably going to have to come from you, Alan, in consultation with the rest of us.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #95
Passacaglia
Coordinator

My #1 choice -- offseason
My #2 choice -- playoffs
Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #96
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just don't feel comfortable making this decision because I'm not really going to be writing this stuff...I am more than willing and ready to help evaluate options, but if we're going to make a decision soon it's probably going to have to come from you, Alan, in consultation with the rest of us.

Thats the thing, I honestly don't care what the theme is. I tossed out ideas in hopes that others would also and we could pick one. Gramm came with an idea, Lathum had the playoff idea. Both of them are fine with me.

I think far more important in deciding the theme isn't the ability to write poems, its making sure the theme can blend across the four types of poems.

For instance, I was a little suprised when people jumped out liking the offseason one since I think that was my least favorite of the ones I thought of.

I think the WW theme is a bad idea since we might alienate someone which will hurt our score.

I am having problems with the manning theme for the reasons I said above, so wouldnt mind gramm's feedback on it.

I like the 2006 NFL playoff theme alot, but similar problems with how do you make a haiku on the 2006 nfl playoffs? Just not enough words in the haiku to do it. Your haiku would end up being about the cowboys vs seattle game instead of the 2006 playoffs or something.

I think we need a specific theme that you can write alot about to succeed here. Like for instance, I have been spending time trying to think of how to narrow down the mannings theme more. I dont see how you can do Peyton and Eli both in a haiku. You probably need to pick a more specific theme and then elaborate in the longer poems.

For instance if you narrow the mannings down to a more specific theme of Peyton manning you then in your longer poem and Acrostic can reference Eli or Archie or the Unniversity of Tennessee or whatever. But you won't be tied down in the shorter poems in trying to fit the theme in.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #97
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hmm for a playoff theme haiku perhaps:

Twelve teams with one goal
to win the championship --
The Colts reign supreme.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #98
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Peyton and Eli
More annoying than father
Please stop media
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #99
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I think we are overthinking the blending and the potential to piss of someone. If the content is funny, witty, entertaining, etc. Nobody is going to sink you on the topic.

You don't have to tell ONE story across all the poems. You just have to have the same theme. The teme is background.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #100
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I like your playoff theme. Just keeping it simple.