st.cronin
General Manager

This game has been very strange.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #253
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

As another day passes, conversation almost completely dies. The majority end up pointing their finger at Ntndeacon, and finally after enough of a consensus has been reached, and one after another jump at Ntndeacon. Blood starts to pour from his gashes and you all enjoy the taste. Feeding on his blood, it doesn't take long to realize that he was not a werewolf, and he dies in human form.

Game is Over, the Wolves have won by filling their desire for blood.

Game comments to come in next post
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #254
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't understand saldana and ntn's gameplan even a little bit.

knives out
Old 05-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #255
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

SWEET!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!! WOOHOO!!!

alan...can you explain why NTN+sal's deaths were written up differently...with sal "appearing" to be a wolf while ntn was clearly a villager?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #256
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I would like to thank everyone for playing, as you can imagine, the day 1 did not go quite how I had imagined/hoped. The main rules of hosting a game is to:
1) Make it fun
2) Make it fair

I don't think it was too fun for Ntn or Saldana based on their reactions in the game, and apologize for that. I'll give information on the roles and what happened so everyone can see "behind the curtains".

Wolf seer - Lathum (Could scan one person each night and would know if they were human or werewolf)

Wolf bodyguard - Path12 (Could guard a person every night, but not the same person two nights in a row. Would prevent any interaction from occuring for the player they guarded, including seer scans, however they would not learn anything from the block about the other player)

Human brothers - Ntndeacon / Saldana (Could communicated in PM/IM/Email openly with each other)

Ntndeacon - The rageful brother - No night action, if he ended up getting lynched, he would take the person that was the deciding vote to death with him. Wore a silver amulet that would cause the person who wore it to not turn into a werewolf. (Unknown to him and only really became active at his death)

Saldana - The cunning brother - Had military training and a bit calmer than his brother. He had a night action of being able to pick one person to kill each night.

Death - If a villager was lynched by the werewolves, without the amulet they would end up turning into a werewolf at death and show up as a wolf for the results (really only applied to Saldana, was a hidden cunning role that he did not know about).

If Ntn died before Saldana, Sal would be told that he finds Ntn's amulet and offered the chance to bypass a night kill in order to pass it on to someone else. He would not be told what it did, but if he did choose to give it to someone else, it would "cure" them and end up turning them into a villager ie: conversion. This could only be passed along once. If Saldana chose to keep it, he simply would show up a villager at lynch.

If Saldana died before ntn, ntn would lose his rage and end up depressed and vengeful instead. He no longer would have a brutal trait, but would gain Saldana's kill trait in the chance to act in revenge of his brother.

Night 1 - Saldana kill Path 12, Path 12 guards himself. Path blocks Sal's kill
Night 2 - Saldana kill St.cronin, Path 12 guards Saldana, Path blocks Sal from killing
Night 3 - No night kill sent in, Path 12 guards himself.

The fatal flaw that I had here, was i wanted the game to be an interesting twist of people figuring things out as they went. I warned against people assuming the norm, but I didn't stress that strongly enough. I had it designed that every night kill, Saldana and Ntn would learn more about the surroundings and figure out they were by themselves, but I didn't make it of utmost importance that they shouldn't reveal early on. Because of that, once they did reveal on day 1, it was pretty much over for them.

So in a sense, I think this game was won on day 1 but because of my poor foresight and I apologize for that. I hope people did enjoy themselves, but due to the way activitiy died , I am guessing most people mailed it in. I learned what not to do in the future though.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #257
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't understand saldana and ntn's gameplan even a little bit.

I think they got discouraged. THey didn't know they were the only villagers at the start, and once everyone realized it, they figured they were toast. They didn't know about the cunning or brutal traits and didn't know there was a conversion possibility so I think they didn't feel it was winnable (and it likely wasn't) at that point.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #258
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if we "mailed it in" alan, more like I think because of sal+ntn's vouching for each other, once we figured out what was going on (and I give myself a load of credit for that of course) we just got lucky in killing sal before ntn.

Interesting twist on it though
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #259
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think if you had told ntn+sal at least that they shouldn't reveal (even if it was like "if you reveal your connection with each other in any way you lose your PM ability) even if you hadn't told them about the reversals, they would have stood a great chance.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #260
hoopsguy
General Manager

Going back to my Game 1 stuff - I figured we had learned from NTN/Saldana cross-vouching. I didn't realize that we had learned they were the two people we needed to take out, but was willing to move on to other targets once we had established the relationship between those players to drive later actions.

Michael, thanks again for filling in for me.

Saldana, what was the tell you picked up on Lathum?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #261
st.cronin
General Manager

I had pretty much figured the game out on day 1. I didn't mail it in, I was just waiting for some twist that I hadn't anticipated.

Definitely an interesting idea, not sure its something we want to try again.

knives out
Old 05-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #262
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

This was an interesting game and the twist was definitely a surprise and a nice departure from the normal games. That being said, if the execution were changed slightly, it would've been far more interesting.

Even sal's death as a wolf didn't deter us from picking ntn.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #263
path12
Coordinator

I saw someone approach me night 1 but didn't know who. That's why I asked about the night actions. Since we didn't have a seer, I figured anyone else up at night was suspicious, which is why I guarded Sal night 2.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #264
michael1123
n00b

We were also lucky with the night actions. It probably was doomed to be a wolf victory after their reveal, but they would've at least taken a lot more of us with them if protections didn't stop Sal's kills.

Also note that st. cronin was the first to reveal himself as a wolf on day 3, believing we were in the majority. If Path didn't stop Sal from killing st. cronin on night 2, this would've likely been a longer game.
michael1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #265
michael1123
n00b

Oh nevermind, Cronin revealed before actions on night 2 would've been final so I guess that didn't make too much of a difference.

Did NTN have the option to do a night kill on night 3 after Sal died?
michael1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #266
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Oh nevermind, Cronin revealed before actions on night 2 would've been final so I guess that didn't make too much of a difference.

Did NTN have the option to do a night kill on night 3 after Sal died?

Yeah
Old 05-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #267
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Going back to my Game 1 stuff - I figured we had learned from NTN/Saldana cross-vouching. I didn't realize that we had learned they were the two people we needed to take out, but was willing to move on to other targets once we had established the relationship between those players to drive later actions.

Michael, thanks again for filling in for me.

Saldana, what was the tell you picked up on Lathum?

he actually called out my role after he figured it out....he said the only way i cold be sure was if we were brothers or something....there is no way a villager would reveal another villagers exact role on day one, especially one that could be a 2 for 1 night kill unless he was a wolf trying to communicate to the other wolves....at that moment i realized that lathum was a wolf,and that the wolves couldnt pm one another....i still hadnt figured out that ntn and i were the only villagers.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #268
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

actually michael, cronin and I were thinking the exact same thing...i was just holding back my thoughts on it for a little longer, had he not said anything I would have spoken up within the next few hours at least though. And I think CR was right there on the thoughts with us
Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #269
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
actually michael, cronin and I were thinking the exact same thing...i was just holding back my thoughts on it for a little longer, had he not said anything I would have spoken up within the next few hours at least though. And I think CR was right there on the thoughts with us

Yes, the moment ITC came up a wolf, I started having my doubts. I think no matter who figured it all out (and kudos), someone would have taken the chance voicing this idea or coming out (as st cronin did). I wonder if that happened sooner or later than Alan expected?

Interesting concept, Alan. Thanks for running it.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote