Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

Installing Windows XP

I will be installing Win XP this weekend (upgrade from ME) and plan to do a clean install... I want to make sure I format my HD in the process b/c I want a complete new start with my CPU that has been having tons of problems since I got it with ME... I am just wondering if doing a clean install will reformat or if there is more I need to do to ensure this happens??? I would appreciate any of you guys insight/experiances...

Basically will the clean install reformat my HD?

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
when you install you will have a choise of formats. pick NTFS and all will be good.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

to get a 100% clean system

create a DOS boot disk and boot from it

run fdisk - wipe out all your partitions and then re-create them

then format

then install.
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:00 AM   #4
BigDPW
College Prospect

Ok Niners,

Sounds like you know what you are talking about as far as doing the boot disk etc... But can you walk me through what you just said... I know that I can reformat but I am not sure how to do it??? So "then format" may as well be in another language??? I knwo what it means but I am clueless about the process...

Thanks for the replies by the way!
Old 02-14-2003, 07:35 AM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Before doing this try booting the winxp cd, it may allow you to select ntfs and format it automatically.

okay, go into add/remove programs in win98 and select the startup tab. That allows you to create a boot disk.

Boot off the disk wait for the prompt then run fdisk. select the option to delete your partition(s) after you have deleted them, create a new partition. Fdisk is pretty straightfoward I think, and you should be able to figure it out. Dont worry, you can't damage anything, although you do want to save any important data off disk, or on a seperate HD. Once you fdisk, there is no going back.

Now reboot your computer. load the bootdisk up again, and select the option to enable your cd rom. Pop the xp disk in the drive and go from there. XP will automatically format your partition, so there is no need to format the drive first.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
Daimyo
College Starter

If you bought your computer within the last 5 years it should support booting directly from the CD-ROM. You may need to enable this in the bios though, but first I'd just stick the CD in the drive, reboot and see if it brings up the blue Windows XP setup screen instead of going directly to Windows 98.

Assuming it boots into Windows XP setup, one of the first questions you'll get is to choose a partition to install to and a list of all partitions on your disk(s). Select each partition one at a time and there will be an option to delete the partition (I think you hit the "D" key). Once you've deleted all the partitions, you can create a new one (I think the "C" key... it says at the bottom of the screen). Enter the size of the partition you want for the system when asked and hit okay. Then highlight the partition you just created and say you want to install there (I think the "Enter" key). The next screen will ask if you want to format this partition with NTFS or FAT32. I would reccomend NTFS, but there are certainly trade offs with either choice, so I'd reccomend take 10 minutes to do some reading (Note: You can always convert from FAT32 to NTFS within Windows, but you can't go from NTFS to FAT32 without 3rd party software).
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDPW
Ok Niners,

Sounds like you know what you are talking about as far as doing the boot disk etc... But can you walk me through what you just said... I know that I can reformat but I am not sure how to do it??? So "then format" may as well be in another language??? I knwo what it means but I am clueless about the process...

Thanks for the replies by the way!

If your PC is new enough (sounds like it) you can boot to the CD. Creating a boot disk is totally unnecessary. When you are in the install portion of XP you MUST delete the current partition and create a new one and then do a full format using NTFS.

Years ago, a boot disk was the way to do it. Not anymore.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #8
BigDPW
College Prospect

Thanks guys... I will be printing this thread off to help me in the process... I appreciate your help!