Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #101
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
After crapping the bed in the Big 12 tournament, Texas rolled through the Coral Gables regional and have advanced to the super regional next weekend.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #102
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

If we can get by Stanford today, sure would be nice to knock you bitches out of the tourney again.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:49 PM   #103
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anyone know why Oklahoma is not the home team against Stanford?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:51 PM   #104
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think so they can be the home team should another game be needed.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:53 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I think so they can be the home team should another game be needed.

Correct, same will happen with FSU & UT later. 0 loss team is road in first matchup, home in loser-go-home game.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #106
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep.

This Stanford pitcher is the best freshman pitcher I've ever seen. Better than Fouts, better than Barnhill. And because she plays on the west coast, I had never even heard of her until about a month ago.

Funny enough, she played travel ball with the Louisville Sluggers organization with a few girls my younger daughter played with/against. I'm curious how someone from Kansas decided to play for the Sluggers instead of some of the bigger name organizations.

In any event, they aren't going to win, even if they somehow pull this game out. I'm just hoping to God she doesn't transfer to OU after the season ends.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:03 PM   #107
Thomkal
Head Coach

Florida beat Texas Tech 6-0 today to move on to the Super Regionals. There are 8 (potential if the loser's bracket team wins the first one) other deciding games today.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-05-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:05 PM   #108
Ksyrup

And just like that, OU is going to survive.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-05-2023, 02:45 PM   #109
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And just like that, OU is going to survive.

So freaking frustrating.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #110
Ksyrup

It was beyond obvious how it was going to end when Stanford had the lead off on in 3 straight innings and couldn't score. And the more they saw Canady, the better the chances of them winning, whether game 1 or game 2. The girl with the GW hit was 0-5 with 4 Ks before she lined that double. One of the big, but underrated, reasons it pays to be in the winner's bracket is your opponent gets fewer looks at your pitchers. Even if Stanford pulls that game out in 10 innings, OU's hitters would have been going into their 7-9th times seeing Canady just since Friday.

She's phenomenal, though. I don't know if Stanford being Stanford is going to hold them back from bringing in all the players they need to truly compete with an OU, but making the final 4 is big. That program was a tire fire before Allister took over about 5 years ago. The back history on how that happened is pretty interesting, but she did an amazing turnaround job.
Old 06-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #111
Thomkal
Head Coach

LSU beats Oregon State to move on to the Super Regionals
Old 06-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #112
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Maybe it's just me, but if crow hopping is illegal, both pitchers are illegal every pitch.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:39 PM   #113
Thomkal
Head Coach

So yeah baring some miracle comeback, Coastal just not ready today. Very disappointing
Old 06-05-2023, 08:55 PM   #114
Ksyrup

Don't get me started on the illegal pitches. You could hear it in the announcers voices that they were not buying it. She went all year with no illegal pitches called, no one's gotten one called all WCWS, and all of a sudden they call it. And Bahl, OUs pitcher, does the same thing.

Kellie Barnhill of UF was the queen of illegal pitching and crow hopping and rarely if ever got one called. The other one is stepping outside the lane. Auburn had a LH pitcher who was 6'1" and stepped out of the lane on nearly every pitch and it basically resulted in her throwing curves and screws sideways across the corner of the plate. Never called.

But anyway... Thank you FSU for saving me a late night. I have to be up by 5am.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-05-2023 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:22 PM   #115
miami_fan
Coordinator

Congrats to Oklahoma. Full credit to the Noles as well.

I really enjoyed this tournament. I am not around softball all that much but the athletes seemed like they actually enjoyed playing the games and enjoyed being around each other not just with their teammates but the other teams as well. While knowing that the circle after the game might be a thing for some, both teams being together after that game and that series in that manner was really cool to see. I have become a fan.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-08-2023, 10:04 PM   #116
Ksyrup

OU is just the best. As much as I wanted FSU to win, it wasn't happening. OU immediately counters every bit of adversity. FSU homers and they come back with 2 HRs immediately. That's greatness. Kinda sucks they actually lost 1 game this year if they were going to go all the way.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:37 PM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gino Diare steps down after five seasons at Miami.

Rumors are the pitching coach (?!?!?!?!) or Marlins 1B coach / Canes alum / Miami native Jon Jay
Old 06-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #118
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gino Diare steps down after five seasons at Miami.

Rumors are the pitching coach (?!?!?!?!) or Marlins 1B coach / Canes alum / Miami native Jon Jay

I have typed multiple posts about the managerial situation at the University of Miami and deleted them because I could not help the tone I was taking. Let's just say that Gino's qualifications for the job in every category were lacking except one. I don't think it is a coincidence that Gino is no longer the manager after major donor to the university and board of trustees member Paul Dimare (Gino's father) passed away late last year.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:37 PM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Amazing comeback by the Longhorns over Stanford. Down 5-2 heading into the 9th, and they score 5 runs to win 7-5.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I have typed multiple posts about the managerial situation at the University of Miami and deleted them because I could not help the tone I was taking. Let's just say that Gino's qualifications for the job in every category were lacking except one. I don't think it is a coincidence that Gino is no longer the manager after major donor to the university and board of trustees member Paul Dimare (Gino's father) passed away late last year.

Yeah, that was ... a thing.

But I still mighta have kept him before giving the job to the pitching coach (as one popular theory goes), that doesn't feel like an upgrade in the slightest.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #121
Ksyrup

I really don't follow/watch much college baseball, but I've seen a ton of chirping on twitter about LSU's decision to postpone the LSU/UK game all day when there wasn't rain or lightning within 55 miles of the stadium. They sat around all day with no weather and are apparently playing tonight. One of the local weather guys has been going off on LSU all day.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-10-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:15 AM   #122
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, that was ... a thing.

But I still mighta have kept him before giving the job to the pitching coach (as one popular theory goes), that doesn't feel like an upgrade in the slightest.

I have no idea about who would be a good replacement. I don't know if Arteaga has reached his level as a great pitching coach or if he is able to slide over to the manager role and do just as well.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:04 PM   #123
Ksyrup

So some pretty big news on the softball front. Jordy Bahl, rising junior and 2 time WCWS champ is leaving OU to transfer to Nebraska because she's homesick. OUs pitching staff is down a couple now although I'm sure pitchers will suddenly be reaching out and all of a sudden hitting the portal because there's no way 7 Natty Patty is going into next year without a stud #1, 1A and 1B.

Apparently Bahl was 3rd among softball players with a $62K NIL package. Although that's obviously unverified.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #124
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
So some pretty big news on the softball front. Jordy Bahl, rising junior and 2 time WCWS champ is leaving OU to transfer to Nebraska because she's homesick. OUs pitching staff is down a couple now although I'm sure pitchers will suddenly be reaching out and all of a sudden hitting the portal because there's no way 7 Natty Patty is going into next year without a stud #1, 1A and 1B.

Apparently Bahl was 3rd among softball players with a $62K NIL package. Although that's obviously unverified.

Quote:
Yep.

This Stanford pitcher is the best freshman pitcher I've ever seen. Better than Fouts, better than Barnhill. And because she plays on the west coast, I had never even heard of her until about a month ago.

Funny enough, she played travel ball with the Louisville Sluggers organization with a few girls my younger daughter played with/against. I'm curious how someone from Kansas decided to play for the Sluggers instead of some of the bigger name organizations.

In any event, they aren't going to win, even if they somehow pull this game out. I'm just hoping to God she doesn't transfer to OU after the season ends.

I mean I know who I would blame if I were a Cardinal softball fan.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:12 PM   #125
Ksyrup

She was heavily recruited by OU and others and we actually know someone who played on the Sluggers travel team with Canady and as a freshman, she was "committed" to Stanford (which would be technically illegal, but...). She stayed true to her desire to play for Stanford and could have been at OU already so I don't know why she'd go now other than she's ascended to a top 3 pitcher in the country and could be the unquestioned #1 at OU. With a sizable NIL, I'm sure.

It won't surprise me in the least. Free agency on 1 year contracts, and all...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-12-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:53 PM   #126
cartman
Death Herald

Texas lost a sky high flyball in the lights and it fell in harmlessly and allowed Stanford a walk-off win.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:43 AM   #127
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas lost a sky high flyball in the lights and it fell in harmlessly and allowed Stanford a walk-off win.

OOF! Feel bad for them
Old 06-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #128
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
OOF! Feel bad for them

It was brutal. But the Longhorns outperformed all season. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and they got within a few outs of going back to Omaha.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #129
whomario
Pro Starter

Game before also the Starting Pitcher had a gajillion Pitches and played the whole game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I only recently got into Baseball a bit (WBC did it) so this might be naive, but did the Stanford player do this on purpose? From my limited viewing experience this seemed a very unique combo of angle and power, where most flyballs seem to be either further and much shallower or much weaker contact and close to home plate.
Plus people kept pointing out the less than ideal lighting at what is their home stadium after all ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:05 PM   #130
miami_fan
Coordinator

Woo boy. Florida just had to pull their All American closer because the manager came out to the mound despite not having any more visits left.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:39 PM   #131
miami_fan
Coordinator

Gators were able to pull out the win saving the coach from having to answer the uncomfortable questions about forgetting how many mound visits his team had despite having someone sort of communication with someone outside of the dugout.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #132
miami_fan
Coordinator

I had the TV on mute so I missed most of what I think was Eduardo Perez's explanation. Is there a specific reason college baseball players refuse to wear the sunglasses on their face as opposed to on their hat? If not, do they get crushed for this? I feel like players of other sports would be absolutely crushed for not using something that seem so simple and that they actually have with them.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:00 AM   #133
henry296
College Starter

Why did LSU get to be the home team last night? I would've figured that Wake as the #1 seed would get 2 of 3 as the home team?
Old 06-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #134
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Why did LSU get to be the home team last night? I would've figured that Wake as the #1 seed would get 2 of 3 as the home team?

This came from the rulebook for the regional tournament but my guess is it is the same at the CWS.

Quote:
Home Team Designation
In the first-round of each regional tournament, the home team will be the higher seed. In subsequent games, the home team shall be determined according to the following formula:

1. The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times shall be designated the home team.

2. If the two teams are equal in this respect but unequal in the number of times they were the visitor, then the team that has been the visitor more often will be designated the home team.

3. If the two teams are equal in the number of times that they have been home and visitor, the games committee or the committee representative shall observe the following procedures in the order stated:

a. The team that was visitor in its preceding game shall be the home team, unless both teams were visitors in their preceding games.

b. If the two teams have met previously in that tournament, the visitor in the previous game shall be the home team in the game in question.

c. If the above procedures do not resolve the matter, a coin flip shall determine the home team. The coin toss will be held on the field immediately after the game that caused the situation to develop and both coaches (or designated team representative) are requested to be in attendance

Both teams had been the home team twice, but Wake had only been the away team once, while LSU has already been the away team twice.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:30 PM   #135
henry296
College Starter

So because Wake won their first two games, they played less games in the elimination bracket and were punished.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:06 PM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well this is not the way to end the college baseball season except for LSU fans.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:05 PM   #137
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Well this is not the way to end the college baseball season except for LSU fans.

I ain't complaining! It's been way too long. Geaux Tigahs!

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 09:46 AM   #138
cartman
Death Herald

what a wild series. extra innings first game then alternating blowouts
Old 07-13-2023, 09:40 PM   #139
cartman
Death Herald

not wanting other sports to miss out on the fun, Northwestern also fired their baseball coach

Northwestern fires baseball coach Jim Foster after bullying allegations - ESPN
Old 02-16-2024, 07:15 PM   #140
Thomkal
Head Coach

#19 Coastal Carolina off to a great start to their season, winning 26-0 over George Mason giving up just 1 hit
Old 02-16-2024, 07:21 PM   #141
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nice story here. East Carolina's Parker Byrd first Div I player to play on a prosthetic leg;

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/stat...61090156933435
Old 02-19-2024, 11:01 AM   #142
whomario
Pro Starter

That's just insane to me, seeing how rare that is even in sports where you need a lot leass accuracy/fine movement.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-19-2024 at 11:02 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:21 PM   #143
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sadly coastal's win streak ended at #1, losing to Indiana, and fellow ranked Duke.