Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #51
JPhillips
General Manager

Isn't the big problem that there just aren't very many American stars this year? There's the female skier, the male skater, and then the husk of Shaun White. Not much to interest an average American viewer.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #52
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder if the extremely aggressive copyright enforcement plays a role today. It's nearly impossible to build up buzz online when no one can post clips of what happened.

Then on TV, no other network is allowed to show video highlights. So unless you're watching a bunch of NBC, you're probably not seeing much of what's taking place.

Media coverage has been hampered by some pretty draconian rules. Seems a lot of outlets said fuck it and didn't send anyone to cover it.

20 years ago this works because you don't have a ton of options. But now, I'll just watch a few episodes of Reacher instead of trying to decipher what's going on in the Olympics. It's fine background noise but I don't have time for the secret club when so much other media out there just wants me to watch it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Isn't the big problem that there just aren't very many American stars this year? There's the female skier, the male skater, and then the husk of Shaun White. Not much to interest an average American viewer.

Eh, they tend to manufacture those when there's a shortage though.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #54
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
With Gu, I'm trying to not feel irrational jingoistic anger. At the same time, part of me still whispers if you like it there so much....

More than a third of the people in the entire world live in India or China. And until recently (and this only with China), Olympic sports wasn't a thing. The Chinese have developed figure skaters (often not in China) and the Indians for some truly bizarre reason really love cricket. Some people think cricket will soon become bigger than baseball, world-wide, and that's all about India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc. It won't catch on here - we're still struggling with soccer.

If you're training to be in the Olympics, there aren't that many places or coaches out there. It would be interesting to see how many top Olympic athletes (and tennis players) who really are native to other countries, pretty much live in the United States (or for skiing, the northern European countries).

I don't care that Gu wants to represent China. The China she sees and experiences is not the same China most of her new countrymen and women experience. The sacrifices she makes for the sake of enjoying that privilege aren't ones she'll ever know enough to understand, unless she's unlucky enough to go the Peng Shuai route.

Figure skating at one point was literally skating a figure. Judges got up close, noted your edge, and you skated repeatedly around a circle or an "8" on the ice. You lost points if your skate touched outside the figure or if you lost your edge. At some point they added the long program. If you jumped well or were graceful enough, you hoped to make up for a mediocre score on the figures. Gradually, the figures counted for less and less until they were dropped from competition. All except the name itself.

The judging more or less makes sense, though every once in a while you get someone who can rotate more than anyone else, somewhat land it, but looks like an elephant out there. I guess with the newer sports, we just have to get to a point where the elephants look like elephants. I don't think the kids doing it right now know, either. The judging seems far more about reputation than reality than the other judged sports - and they sure complain about it. But until the X takes (and it may never take), that's all they get.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I found the USA coverage to be pretty good in terms of showing everything. I'm pretty sure, if I wanted I could see every luge run, men's skating, slopestyle, big air and Mens super G skiing run (at least the top 25 contenders) over the past few days.

This. The USA coverage on the weekend was so much better. At worst, for recorded stuff, you'd get all of the runs of the Americans and the medal contenders. For the live stuff, it's just live so they just roll it on out there for you to see. I found it to be so much more palatable than the NBC coverage. But it's not as "neatly" packaged as Prime Time where they pick the three to five biggest stories of the day and condense them for you so you know exactly which couple of hours to watch for max drama.

Also, I'm a DVR fiend for the Olympics. I just set it up to tape and then start at, say, 8:30 PM. That way, I can roll through the human interest stories, the commercials, and all the other fluff and just see the sports and be done about the time the broadcast ends.* Should I have to do this? No. But I'm also the guy who was watching Olympics all weekend so if I want to see it, this is what I have to do. It's only a couple of weeks every couple of years so I deal with it. I know others won't.

*I also have to keep reminding my wife that if she's manning the remote that you fast forward into things until you're sure it's something you want to see and then rewind if need be - if you just stop at everything that might be Olympics, you'll be there all day. She tends to stop at Olympic ads or all the incessant coverage of figure skaters warming up because she might miss the routine. The number of times they would come back from break, Tirico would say something, they'd go to some skaters warming up on the ice for two minutes, Tirico would say something else, and they'd go back to commercial is just maddening. Just give me my damn sports. You could have given me 5 more runs of slopestyle or luge or moguls or whatever in that time but, hey, some pairs figure skating team is skating across the ice warming up, not even doing tricks. That'll draw the eyeballs!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
More than a third of the people in the entire world live in India or China. And until recently (and this only with China), Olympic sports wasn't a thing. The Chinese have developed figure skaters (often not in China) and the Indians for some truly bizarre reason really love cricket. Some people think cricket will soon become bigger than baseball, world-wide, and that's all about India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc. It won't catch on here - we're still struggling with soccer.

I kindof wonder when India will start becoming an Olympic power. It seems to follow about a generation after rising economic power so maybe we're 20 years away?

Also, for decades, the US has had one heck of a cheat code in the university system. How many times are you watching a broadcast of a sport and they're talking about how all of the athletes go to school in the US, even though it's 8 different people representing 5 different countries? That's not to say there isn't a Russian gymnastics program here or Chinese diving program there, but so many of these athletes train at American universities and the NCAA championships aren't that different than the world ones.

SI

Old 02-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #57
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't care that Gu wants to represent China. The China she sees and experiences is not the same China most of her new countrymen and women experience. The sacrifices she makes for the sake of enjoying that privilege aren't ones she'll ever know enough to understand, unless she's unlucky enough to go the Peng Shuai route.

Or Jack Ma, or Fan BingBing, or Sun Dawu, or Zhao Wei...

If she is doing this because she thinks there's a better market for her in China (modeling, endorsements) to get rich/famous, she might want to be careful. China doesn't seem to appreciate anyone getting too much of either.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #58
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Plus, it's just the fucking olympics not war.

olympics IS war!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #59
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’d also point out that I’m not sure the message was exactly the same when the US mens soccer team was digging up anybody they could find who was European but had an American parent for the better part of half a decade, but hey ho.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #60
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
olympics IS war!
Now would be the perfect timing for the media in the USA to finally adopt the medals tabulating method the rest of the world is used to, just to get the Russian OC pushed from the top.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:35 AM   #61
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Team figure skating medal ceremony at Beijing Olympics delayed over legal issue

wait, legal consultation? The only thing I can think of is citizenship or age (I think if it was Drug related, there wouldn't be that legal consultation), and the fact that four members of the Russian team didn't show up for practice... the only other thing I can think of is that they knew they had a COVID positive and still let them participate..
Old 02-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #62
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Team figure skating medal ceremony at Beijing Olympics delayed over legal issue

wait, legal consultation? The only thing I can think of is citizenship or age (I think if it was Drug related, there wouldn't be that legal consultation), and the fact that four members of the Russian team didn't show up for practice... the only other thing I can think of is that they knew they had a COVID positive and still let them participate..

All of the articles I've read say "drug test", so I'm guessing the legal matter is either how it was collected or contaminated product.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
olympics IS war!

I think more accurately "it used to be". That's when the Olympics were interesting and fun.

Now?

"Our" athletes are often more unlikable than "their" athletes. I have no real interest in it because there's hardly anybody to root for at all at this point*.

Kills my interest same way I haven't watched NASCAR in years (after a couple decades of being able to name every driver/sponsor combination across three levels of racing)

edit to elaborate: And that lack of rooting interest matters a lot when you're talking about events I really have no interest in, as opposed to being able to at least have something like Oregon State vs Pacific college football on as background noise at 2am

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-09-2022 at 08:59 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #64
cuervo72
Head Coach

legal = "give them the medal or I invade Ukraine!"
Old 02-09-2022, 07:37 PM   #65
bhlloy
Coordinator

So one thing I don’t understand is how the Women snowboarders go so much smaller than the men in the half pipe… I get that men have an advantage in pure strength or speed but feels like this is an event as much about technique and maybe core. And it also doesn’t seem like as noticeable in the disciplines like big air for example.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #66
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - also the failed drug test being the 15 year old star skater is just nuts on all levels. The backdrop of Russian state doping, her age and skill, the medication that nobody has ever actually used to cheat (but also doesn’t seem to make any sense for a 15 year old to take)… it’s going to get super ugly
Old 02-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #67
RainMaker
General Manager

Maybe they should just ban the country doping 15 year olds instead of placating them over and over?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #68
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
DOLA - also the failed drug test being the 15 year old star skater is just nuts on all levels. The backdrop of Russian state doping, her age and skill, the medication that nobody has ever actually used to cheat (but also doesn’t seem to make any sense for a 15 year old to take)… it’s going to get super ugly

And supposedly tested in Dec. Why so long?

Quote:
The Associated Press reported that the sample was allegedly obtained before Valieva won the European championship last month in Estonia.

If the test were in fact taken in December, it raises questions as to why it took so long for the test to be reported. "That would be a screw-up on somebody's part if they're just reporting a December positive now in the middle of the Olympics," veteran sports lawyer Howard Jacobs told ESPN.

Top international sports lawyer Paul Greene also wondered how it could have taken so long to process, but pointed out there's no requirement that tests be reported within a certain period of time. "Sometimes these things get thrown to the lab and the lab sits on it for months, not through anybody's nefarious conduct, just through backups in lab testing, etcetera," he told ESPN.
But apparently someone can have taken it unknowingly ...
Quote:
American swimmer Madisyn Cox successfully appealed a two-year ban that was reduced to six months after she proved that a vitamin supplement she had been taking was contaminated with trimetazidine.
Don't know what's going to happen but this doesn't seem to be a mass scale doping scandal (or at least not yet).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #69
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Really happy for Lindsey Jacobellis. She made a dumb mistake in 2006, costing herself the gold, and she finally gets her first Olympic gold this year.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Happy to see Nathan Chen and Chloe Kim happy to represent the US.

Still happy for Eileen Gu on a personal level for achieving her dreams but frak her. Certainly won't buy any Wheaties and like endorsed by her.

Still wondering why we don't know definitively if she gave up her US citizenship to represent China (as articles have said China does not recognize dual citizenships).
Old 02-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Happy to see Nathan Chen and Chloe Kim happy to represent the US.

Still happy for Eileen Gu on a personal level for achieving her dreams but frak her. Certainly won't buy any Wheaties and like endorsed by her.

Still wondering why we don't know definitively if she gave up her US citizenship to represent China (as articles have said China does not recognize dual citizenships).

Were you going to before?

Considering all the other conversations in all the other threads across the board about a wide array of topics, and this is the bridge too far for an individual?

EDIT: Really not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand. Like to me, this doesn't seem like that big of a thing - she made a very, um, capitalist decision. It seems so very American, rightly and wrongly.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-10-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #72
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Were you going to before?
SI

Not a Wheaties fan. But "and the like" include below. Unsure if these endorsements will continue but if they do, yeah forget Red Bull, forget Beats. Admittedly wasn't going to buy any VS or Cadillac.

Quote:
According to the New York Post, Gu has sponsors in the United States including Red Bull, Cadillac, the Apple-owned Beats by Dre headphones and Victoria’s Secret, where she was announced as one of the new faces of the brand last year.
:
She is also the spokesperson for Luckin’ Coffee, the Starbucks of China.

Quote:
Considering all the other conversations in all the other threads across the board about a wide array of topics, and this is the bridge too far for an individual?

Bridge too far is overstating it. But using the example of Chen being a spokesperson for Coke and Gu being spokes person for Pepsi, yeah I would go for Coke. If it was the other way around, I would have second thoughts about Coke (but Coke Zero will be hard to give up).

Quote:
EDIT: Really not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand. Like to me, this doesn't seem like that big of a thing - she made a very, um, capitalist decision. It seems so very American, rightly and wrongly.

From what I've read, it was primarily to set an example for kids in China. I'm sure endorsements are also a factor but that is unsaid by her. I don't see it as a big thing all things considered just the principle.

Question for you ...

Should someone that has not changed citizenship (presumably) be able to represent another country (especially since we have tense relationships with), but yet reap the benefits of the one she has benefited from and figuratively left behind?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #73
bronconick
College Starter

That's been going on in the Olympics and FIFA forever, so I don't see why not.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:15 AM   #74
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

SI

That's kind of how I view it. It just doesn't make my top ten things to be pissed off about today.

So, rightfully, she gets questions about China's human rights abuses and she deflects them as she's probably trained to do. She makes a fortune in China, gets to compete in a sport she loves, and we all move on.

It's not like she could say something and Xi would pause, reflect, and say, "you know, now that you mention it, maybe we shouldn't be a communist country and enslave minority people."

In the end, like with the NBA, it's kind of funny watching athletes avoid the questions. But you're right, that's how capitalism has always worked and probably should work.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:27 AM   #75
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
That's been going on in the Olympics and FIFA forever, so I don't see why not.

Specifically for the Olympics, I don't think you can compete for China unless you are a dual citizen (not possible in China) or gave up US citizenship and became a citizen of China.

She's avoided the question about citizenship. Easy enough to answer. I infer from her hesitancy there is more to this story. If she has not renounced her US citizenship but somehow is representing China in the Olympics, then yeah, there's a principle here.

If she has renounced her citizenship and now is a Chinese citizen, great for her.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #76
miked
College Starter

Do people choose between coke and pepsi based on who they endorse/endorses them? Maybe I'm just a normal person, but I base my food and beverage choices on whether I like them, not what person is on the cover.

I have a seriously hard time believing that you are researching who is endorsing what before you buy it, so let's cut the BS here.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #77
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Specifically for the Olympics, I don't think you can compete for China unless you are a dual citizen (not possible in China) or gave up US citizenship and became a citizen of China.

She's avoided the question about citizenship. Easy enough to answer. I infer from her hesitancy there is more to this story. If she has not renounced her US citizenship but somehow is representing China in the Olympics, then yeah, there's a principle here.

If she has renounced her citizenship and now is a Chinese citizen, great for her.

I've explained this over and over and you still misrepresent this. Just like in the USA, a child of a Chinese citizen is given Chinese citizenship and there is no way to revoke that other than through petition. Gu, with both a Chinese and American parent, would be recognized as a citizen by both China and the USA. She doesn't have to do anything for that to be true and whether or not China or the USA recognize dual citizenship is irrelevant.

This is the status of my daughter, born in China to Chinese parents. She is and will always be a citizen of China. When we adopted, she was granted American citizenship, but that has no bearing on her status as a Chinese citizen. She will always be recognized as a citizen by both countries.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #78
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Do people choose between coke and pepsi based on who they endorse/endorses them? Maybe I'm just a normal person, but I base my food and beverage choices on whether I like them, not what person is on the cover.

I have a seriously hard time believing that you are researching who is endorsing what before you buy it, so let's cut the BS here.

I am not researching per se. But if it's front page news and there is someone (or principle) I don't support is endorsing something, yeah I'll try to avoid it.

CFA is a good example. If I was LGBT, I would seriously have second thoughts eating there.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:16 AM   #79
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I've explained this over and over and you still misrepresent this. Just like in the USA, a child of a Chinese citizen is given Chinese citizenship and there is no way to revoke that other than through petition. Gu, with both a Chinese and American parent, would be recognized as a citizen by both China and the USA. She doesn't have to do anything for that to be true and whether or not China or the USA recognize dual citizenship is irrelevant.

This is the status of my daughter, born in China to Chinese parents. She is and will always be a citizen of China. When we adopted, she was granted American citizenship, but that has no bearing on her status as a Chinese citizen. She will always be recognized as a citizen by both countries.

I get your daughter, she was born in China.

Eileen was born in the US to presumably parents who are naturalized US citizens (but can't find much info on dad). So you are saying a US born child of Chinese descent but naturalized US parents is considered a Chinese citizen? Can you share a source for this?
Old 02-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #80
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not researching per se. But if it's front page news and there is someone (or principle) I don't support is endorsing something, yeah I'll try to avoid it.

CFA is a good example. If I was LGBT, I would seriously have second thoughts eating there.

I kindof wondered if this was where this was going to end up. I mean there's the whole "what your permit is what you condone" so... I'm not sure how "if I was LGBT" is part of the conversation. If Gu is tacitly condoning genocide by advertising for China (these athletes are basically national and product billboards in this case) then you eating a chicken sandwich at CFA or shopping at Hobby Lobby is condoning discrimination against the LGBT community, whether you're a part of the community or not.

Of course, this ignores how it's different by degrees. I mean, if you really want to wrap your head into knots, you can go:
Well, genocide > discrimination
But, directly funding > indirectly funding through sponsorship and advertising (?)
And then try to parse out what is worse or better or if both are below your personal tolerance level

Like I don't think Gu is providing money directly for the Chinese government to commit genocide but CFA/HL have actively given money to discriminate against the LGBT community. So, we're definitely into apples vs oranges or, like apples vs school buses. I don't think it's wrong to base your buying decisions on how ethical a business is - I wish we had more regulation and buying around that idea. And, of course, there are some products with limited consumer choices where there is no right choice - if you're doing home internet access, you have, at most, 2 choices, both of pretty awful corporations. Also, I think that on the list of things that, say, Coke has done - sponsoring Gu which indirectly funnels money and eyeballs to China, which is engaging in horrific genocide - probably doesn't even crack the top 50 of least ethical things Coke has done this year. For a company that is directly responsible for dead people, basically employs wage slaves, caused societal upheaval to save money, and whose product is one of the biggest causes of type 2 diabetes, this is moral accounting dust.

I want to assume you're actually making this discussion in good faith. But I could also buy that it was just fishing for a reaction to make another political point ("America good, China bad; see all these lefty hypocrites" when, of course, it's a lot more complicated than that).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-10-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #81
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I want to assume you're actually making this discussion in good faith. But I could also buy that it was just fishing for a reaction to make another political point ("America good, China bad; see all these lefty hypocrites" when, of course, it's a lot more complicated than that).

SI

Consider it in good faith. I am an immigrant and greatly appreciate what the US has provided for me. I love this country, warts and all.

If this was another country that we don't have dual citizenship status with, I'd feel the same.

(I actually don't support dual citizenship per other discussions but Olympic rules does say citizen or dual citizenship for this discussion).

Quote:
According to the Olympic Charter (Rule 40-41) Any competitor in the Olympic Games must be a national of the country of the NOC which is entering such competitor. A competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time may represent either one of them, as he may elect.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #82
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Consider it in good faith. I am an immigrant and greatly appreciate what the US has provided for me. I love this country, warts and all.

If this was another country that we don't have dual citizenship status with, I'd feel the same.

(I actually don't support dual citizenship per other discussions but Olympic rules does say citizen or dual citizenship for this discussion).

Good deal - it's hard to tell on the internet sometimes. My bad.

I think a lot of us have different ideas of citizenship. For instance, I feel that it's part of my job as a citizen to challenge our country and leaders to be better and not offer blind loyalty. Others clearly disagree (not speaking about you - but it's clearly a prevalent sentiment in many countries, not just here).

I think the idea of being a citizen or having dual citizenship is an interesting one, but it's also a bit antiquated in a lot of ways. This isn't the ideal of being a Roman citizen anymore. It's also really, really difficult to get citizenship in another country - either you need to go through years of work with no guarantee you'll get it or be some special case and you jump the line over others, which also seems inherently unfair. However is it different for 20yo world class skier vs giving advantages to poaching software engineers from, say, Eastern Europe, India, or Brazil? I don't really have an answer to this one - it's not something I've really thought at length about.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-10-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #83
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I get your daughter, she was born in China.

Eileen was born in the US to presumably parents who are naturalized US citizens (but can't find much info on dad). So you are saying a US born child of Chinese descent but naturalized US parents is considered a Chinese citizen? Can you share a source for this?

From the LA Times:

Quote:
The law says that a child who has one Chinese parent automatically receives Chinese citizenship, no matter where the child was born.

That's common and most countries recognize the citizenship of children born to citizens, regardless of birth location. That's how the US does it, too. If you're a citizen and give birth in China, that child is still recognized as a US citizen.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #84
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's interesting to think about what our jobs/responsibilities are as citizens.

What's core to each of us? What are our "moral values," not necessarily thinking of that as it pertains to a religion, but religion for some offers answers to those questions.

When and why do we speak? When and why do we challenge the government (something that's a lot harder to do in China than it is here). Do corporations have moral values, or is the responsibility of those running corporations to enrich shareholders and not take those positions?

How we answer those questions, which have many shades of grey (not exactly 50, thankfully) depends on our parents, the area we grew up in, our experiences and perhaps more randomness than we'd be comfortable admitting.

I am a dual citizen (of the UK, where I was born, and the US, since my parents were born and lived here - my mother didn't find out she was pregnant until my dad's sabbatical spent teaching at a British university was already underway). I don't think of myself as British, but should the worst happen, it's an option.

I think of the US as the greatest country ever, not in a MAGA sense, but in a "my great-grandparents would have been killed if not for how the US welcomes immigration" sense. We are a nation of immigrants, pulling together as best we can, hopefully. The words of the Founding Fathers are words I take seriously. And the US, warts and all, as Edward said, has my loyalty.

I don't understand Gu's decisions, but it's easy to accept that her combination of variables is quite different from mine, and led her to a different path than one I'd choose.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #85
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's common and most countries recognize the citizenship of children born to citizens, regardless of birth location. That's how the US does it, too.

What if you were born in Kenya?
Old 02-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #86
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
From the LA Times:

That's common and most countries recognize the citizenship of children born to citizens, regardless of birth location. That's how the US does it, too. If you're a citizen and give birth in China, that child is still recognized as a US citizen.

I would appreciate a more official source because I have not been able to find an "official" source to support it.

The distinction I'm making is her parents are presumably naturalized US citizens and therefore Eileen, born in the US, is not a Chinese citizen by default.

I think you are saying even if the parents were naturalized US citizens, just as long as they are of Chinese descent, the child is a Chinese citizen. Assuming that Eileen is Gen 1, how far does this go, Eileen's children, her grandchildren etc. I don't think so.

But taking your source, I would counter with this (admittedly, no idea how accurate it is).

Are children born in China automatically Chinese citizens if one parent is Chinese and the other a US citizen with an American passport? - Quora
Quote:
USA adopts jus soli as their basis of citizenship law, meaning the children who were born in USA and anywhere within USA jurisdiction territory are automatically granted US citizenship. But US citizenship law also states if at least one of your parents is a permanent resident or a citizen, your children will be granted a US citizenship as well

Whereas in China, it mainly operates on basis of jus sanguinis (right of blood) which means your children need to at least have one person who holds Chinese permanent residency or Chinese citizenship to acquire Chinese citizenship for your children regardless of where they were born, the place of birth is not relevant.

So I guess the question then is are Eileen's parent's US vs Chinese citizen or US vs Chinese permanent residency.

Again, simple enough question for her/parent/Olympic committee to answer. The lack of an definitive answer right now raises questions on why they are avoiding this. My cynical view is Eileen did not give up her US citizenship and has a wink-wink to represent China because the Olympics do not want to PO China.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I think of the US as the greatest country ever, not in a MAGA sense, but in a "my great-grandparents would have been killed if not for how the US welcomes immigration" sense. We are a nation of immigrants, pulling together as best we can, hopefully. The words of the Founding Fathers are words I take seriously. And the US, warts and all, as Edward said, has my loyalty.

Oh yeah baby!

FWIW. Although I don't support dual citizenship, I acknowledge that US citizens have benefited from it. I would love to have dual citizenship with an EU country so I can travel around the schengen.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-10-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #88
JPhillips
General Manager

Her mother was a Chinese graduate student residing in the U.S. and her father was an American citizen of European descent. Gu has family in China and has visited and lived there on and off her entire life.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #89
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What if you were born in Kenya?

That was always the dumbest part of the birther conspiracy. Even if he was born in Kenya, his mother was still a citizen and he would then be a citizen.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #90
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Her mother was a Chinese graduate student residing in the U.S. and her father was an American citizen of European descent. Gu has family in China and has visited and lived there on and off her entire life.

Oh good. Was not able to find much on the Dad.

Do you know if the mother is a US citizen or PR?

And is the below your stance?

Quote:
I think you are saying even if the parents were naturalized US citizens, just as long as they are of Chinese descent, the child is a Chinese citizen. Assuming that Eileen is Gen 1, how far does this go, Eileen's children, her grandchildren etc.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-10-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #91
JPhillips
General Manager

Eileen is a U.S. citizen, so her children will be U.S. citizens. Now if they are born in China they may not ever fill out the paperwork, but if they can prove they are a child of a citizen, yes, they get US citizenship.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #92
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't necessarily agree with the editorializing here (tho it's a discussing we're having in this thread): Eileen Gu's citizenship status a focus after winning Olympic gold for China - Sports Illustrated

But, lol - I also didn't realize just how sketch some the circus around it was. Bach (IOC Pres) was at Gu's event and Peng Shuai (likely raped tennis star who magically recanted her accusation after she mysteriously disappeared for a couple of weeks) just happened to be there, too? Wow! What are the odds?!?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-10-2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:17 PM   #93
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm curious about Hungary. They have a lot of athletes that have formerly competed for other countries.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:44 PM   #94
bhlloy
Coordinator

The US judge giving Hirano an 89 is sketchy as fuck
Old 02-10-2022, 09:03 PM   #95
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The US judge giving Hirano an 89 is sketchy as fuck

But two others gave him a 90, so it wasn't out of line.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:26 AM   #96
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks Shaun White.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #97
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're a couple of nights behind. I'm a big fan of Keegan Messing. He's from Alaska but skating for Canada as his mom is Canadian. First off, he doesn't look like tall, lithe figure skater - he's a bit more stocky. Second, he almost missed the Olympics due to COVID and he arrived about 24 hours before the start of the short program so he skated horribly jetlagged. Third, he was not using the traditional skating music so it was something different. Finally, his long program outfit was red and black flannel top with black pants. Flannel for figure skating. Rock on.

SI

Old 02-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #98
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm pretty sure our male snowboard racer is really Will Ferrell.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #99
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
C'mon, guys. No need for Chinese conspiracy theories here.
So, about that... Some incidents can only feed the conspiracies...

There was a ghost false start on the 500m at men's speed skating, that disrupted the race between the top two favorites (Japan's Tatsuya Shinhama and Canada's Laurent Dubreuil). In almost 30 years of watching speed skating events, I've never before seen such a questionable false start. Sure, it didn't lead to disqualification, but in this distance it's usually enough to put both riders just to make them fail. Beneficiary of the incident: China's winner Gao Tinyu, another one of the favorites.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
So, about that... Some incidents can only feed the conspiracies...

There was a ghost false start on the 500m at men's speed skating, that disrupted the race between the top two favorites (Japan's Tatsuya Shinhama and Canada's Laurent Dubreuil). In almost 30 years of watching speed skating events, I've never before seen such a questionable false start. Sure, it didn't lead to disqualification, but in this distance it's usually enough to put both riders just to make them fail. Beneficiary of the incident: China's winner Gao Tinyu, another one of the favorites.

The tossed marker - how was that anything but deliberate? It would be a one in a million shot for that to be an accident

SI