Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:42 AM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
No one should celebrate an injury. That's a man's lively-hood and health and it shouldn't be joked about.........but good Lord are the meme's and Tik Tok's funny.

You are absolutely correct....however...

This might be the closest injury situation to be okay to laugh at that we can get. It is not an injury where his life was endangered or involved a gross visual break of some sort.. From what everyone who has had the injury has said, a ruptured Achilles involves an intense bit of pain for a few seconds then barely any pain at all. Next, Rodgers was the oldest active player in the league for the opening weekend and has already has his career for the most part. Finally, it's Rodgers, the Jets, the media, Jets fans and everything that has happened since the end of last season. This should be considered a minuscule sin.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #204
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Former Buccs and Bills WR Mike Williams was reported dead about a week ago, but now he's been upgraded to alive, and breathing on his own.

Former Bucs receiver Mike Williams, 36, dies

Very weird story that has come a sad end. I am not sure what was gained by some of the reporting of this story.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-12-2023, 12:15 PM   #205
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't stand Aaron Rodgers, but his injury turns the Jets into an interesting watch each week to something far, far less. As fun as it is to watch Zach Wilson do his thing from time to time, it's not compelling football.

Only four more nationally televised games for Zach Wilson!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:42 PM   #206
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, it's not exactly a Greek tragedy, but it does make them a less interesting watch and (Bills result nonwithstanding) another obstacle to the Patriots (and the rest of the division, but I really would only care about them beating the Patriots).
Old 09-12-2023, 01:14 PM   #207
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't stand Aaron Rodgers, but his injury turns the Jets into an interesting watch each week to something far, far less. As fun as it is to watch Zach Wilson do his thing from time to time, it's not compelling football.

Only four more nationally televised games for Zach Wilson!

Well, America survived Russell Wilson and Denver on constant prime time games last year.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:39 PM   #208
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Well, America survived Russell Wilson and Denver on constant prime time games last year.

Barely!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #209
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Don't forget, they can flex out a bunch of the stuff later in the season and probably will

edit: And yeah, despite the traditional New England-New York rivalry in all things sports, I do feel bad for Jets fans. So much hype, so much good thoughts, so much.. agony.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-12-2023 at 02:13 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #210
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And a tweet that explains just how FUCKED the Jets are. His cap charges over the next two years are 17.1 million in 2024 and 51.5 Million in 2025. Even if he retires, that 51.5 million accelerates into 2024. (so nearly 70 million in cap hit)

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/sta...28313880404089
Old 09-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #211
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
And a tweet that explains just how FUCKED the Jets are. His cap charges over the next two years are 17.1 million in 2024 and 51.5 Million in 2025. Even if he retires, that 51.5 million accelerates into 2024. (so nearly 70 million in cap hit)

The reason he will attempt a come back. The Jets are going to force him to play or they send Tony Soprano to make sure he sleeps with the fishes.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #212
bronconick
College Starter

So basically what the Saints went through with Brees on steroids
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #213
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Old 09-12-2023, 03:58 PM   #214
bhlloy
Coordinator

While I don’t take any pleasure in the injury and really sympathize with Jets fans, I hope it’s OK to cynically wonder if he will call up Joe Rogan and talk about natural ways to recover from a torn Achilles, or just maybe he will trust the doctors and follow the wisdom of the medical community now, y’know he’s in a situation that actually affects him and his health.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:01 PM   #215
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

best lines from me and elsewhere regarding Aaron Rodgers forgetting to discount double check his Achilles...

1) Aaron Rodgers took four snaps in the game yesterday. Five if you count the Achilles tendon.

2) Someone else joked that the Jets are the only franchise to ever hire a hall-of-fame level head coach and never have him be the head coach for a single game, and to sign a Hall of Fame Level QB, and not have him complete a single pass (Belichick and Rodgers)

3) Speaking of Belichick, the only way this could have been worse is if Rodgers had pulled a Belichick and wrote "I resign as QB of the NYJ" on a napkin and handed it in before week 1.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #216
GrantDawg

Desmond Ridder is first in completions and second in quarterback rating in week one. Suck it, haters.

We won't talk about his yards per completion.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2023, 06:47 PM   #217
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I hear that there's a guy who might be waiting by the phone just in case a surefire playoff team needs a good QB. He may have been in the Boston area on Sunday for a thing. But that is just what I heard.

I think Brady is too smart to throw himself behind that offensive line. He made sure Tampa shored up that offensive line before going there.

Options are pretty grim. Carson Wentz I guess might be an upgrade if you can get him to be a game manager. I think Jameis would be pretty fun, although I don't think they want someone who will sling it that much. The other guys I see being thrown around are just too old and immobile to make it behind that line.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:49 PM   #218
RainMaker
General Manager

I do feel terrible for Jets fans because as a Bears fan, I've seen the scenario where you have an elite defense wasted because your QB is dogshit.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

Back to the football part of the Rodgers injury, I see there were concerns about the O-line prior to last night. I am definitely Tuesday evening QB-ing here but it just seem too obvious. How can you put Aaron Rodgers behind an offensive line that received the third worst pass block grade from PFF last season without importing some established upgrades coming into a new season?
Old 09-12-2023, 06:57 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Options are pretty grim. Carson Wentz I guess might be an upgrade if you can get him to be a game manager. I think Jameis would be pretty fun, although I don't think they want someone who will sling it that much. The other guys I see being thrown around are just too old and immobile to make it behind that line.

I imagine the hypothetical pecking order is something like Wentz and Flacco, maybe Colt Mccoy.

After that, FA pickings are slim to non-existent.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:00 PM   #221
GrantDawg

How would they even pay Tom Brady? He is not going to come back and play without getting paid.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:18 PM   #222
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I've always wondered what would happen if someone noticed that Jameis has shown improvement in his limited exposure in New Orleans and decided to give him a chance. Jameis with fewer risky deep balls might be more what people imagined when he was drafted.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:23 PM   #223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
How would they even pay Tom Brady? He is not going to come back and play without getting paid.

They have 9 mil in cap space. They could offer a 2m base salary, 23 mil bonus, 4 voidable years. Incentives for playoff wins. They can get a deal done if they have 5-6M of available space.

Last edited by stevew : 09-12-2023 at 09:14 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:07 PM   #224
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Such a shame. and the pfizer vaccine protects against achilles tendon tears.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:08 PM   #225
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I hear Brady and Colin Kaepernick are dueling it out
Old 09-12-2023, 09:13 PM   #226
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I remember this happening to Trent Green when I HAD Green on my team.

oi the pain....

But then I got Kurt Warner to thank you jesus me
Old 09-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #227
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I don't think ANY of the current free agents are even possibilities. They need to make a trade if they actually want to contend. Otherwise the season is over or else just hope their current backup can do what he just did. And really he played the entire game and won so why not just let him do that. But looking ahead it might just be best to trade away any and all highpriced players they can and stock up on draft picks because of the crappy bloated vaporware called Rodgers
Old 09-12-2023, 09:30 PM   #228
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I imagine the hypothetical pecking order is something like Wentz and Flacco, maybe Colt Mccoy.

Wentz was released by 3 teams in 3 years. No thanks.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:04 PM   #229
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Brady would have to divest himself of his Raiders ownership stake, he ain't comin back.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:05 AM   #230
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Feel like McCoy isn't terrible. Not good by any means but someone who won't actively sabotage the team like Wilson.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-13-2023 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:56 AM   #231
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I don't think ANY of the current free agents are even possibilities. They need to make a trade if they actually want to contend. Otherwise the season is over or else just hope their current backup can do what he just did. And really he played the entire game and won so why not just let him do that. But looking ahead it might just be best to trade away any and all highpriced players they can and stock up on draft picks because of the crappy bloated vaporware called Rodgers

Nobody is trading their starter at this point in the season - well maybe the Cards but you can’t get Murray under the cap if you wanted to although it would be amusing to have two injured QBs with the highest cap hits in the league I suppose.

Are backups any better than Wilson or Wentz? Maybe you hope Mariota can be a better version of Wilson or that you get OK Jameis rather than “fuck it I’m throwing downfield” Jameis, but I can’t see an obvious option that keeps them in contention. Wilson knows the offense and is supposedly showing signs of improvement, he’s almost certainly the guy and they will sign a veteran to backup.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:39 AM   #232
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 09-13-2023, 06:51 AM   #233
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We live in such a golden age of multiple really smart football people being able to break down stuff for us on All-22.

It used to be that if it wasn't what fit on your TV screen on Sunday, then you just didn't know what was happening.

I have learned more about football X and O stuff over the last 2-3 years than I think I learned in the decades before that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:41 AM   #234
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Nobody is trading their starter at this point in the season - well maybe the Cards but you can’t get Murray under the cap if you wanted to although it would be amusing to have two injured QBs with the highest cap hits in the league I suppose.

Are backups any better than Wilson or Wentz? Maybe you hope Mariota can be a better version of Wilson or that you get OK Jameis rather than “fuck it I’m throwing downfield” Jameis, but I can’t see an obvious option that keeps them in contention. Wilson knows the offense and is supposedly showing signs of improvement, he’s almost certainly the guy and they will sign a veteran to backup.

I was more talking about trading for a #2 on a team that knows it isn't good.

Also...word is that the Jets have already talked to Kaeper's agent and it went no where. They aren't going for him. He's washed up at this point and no one will get him unless they want to sell tickets to the sideshow
Old 09-13-2023, 10:21 AM   #235
JPhillips
General Manager

Colin K. got screwed by the NFL, but he just isn't a viable option at this point. He's 35 and hasn't played in six seasons. He barely offers anything even as a third-string emergency QB.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:26 AM   #236
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
We live in such a golden age of multiple really smart football people being able to break down stuff for us on All-22.

It used to be that if it wasn't what fit on your TV screen on Sunday, then you just didn't know what was happening.

I have learned more about football X and O stuff over the last 2-3 years than I think I learned in the decades before that.

Agreed
Old 09-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #237
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I mentioned this play earlier. Either someone did the wrong thing or it was play design you shouldn't see at the NFL level. Either way, fields needs to just throw it away.

Watched some more of JT O'Sullivans breakdown. No surprises. Getsy was bad as an OC Sunday, execution was bad by several players, and Fields has to get better at aggressively taking the throws that are there down the field. Getsy really didn't have a good gameplan for Fields on Sunday though. Especially for the first game out the gate.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-13-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #238
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Sounds like they are going with Wilson as their dedicated starter and they've said there are no plans to contact brady

I really think Flacco is the guy they should bring in since he's been there before unless there were personal conflicts

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-13-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #239
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

CLOWN ROUTES!

Old 09-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #240
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

I'm an OSU grad so I want Fields to succeed even though he's on the Bears. Maybe he's not an NFL QB but how can you tell if he's coached as poorly as everyone else on this play?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:43 PM   #241
Bobble
College Prospect

There was a thread on the Lions subreddit about what would it take to sell Bridgewater to the Jets. For me, it would have to be an offer that just knocks my socks off. Not saying I wouldn't ever do the deal, it would just have to be huge.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #242
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I had a similar thought a few days ago. I find myself watching and thinking about football differently than I did a few years ago. It's more analytical, more akin to the way I follow basketball.

As to the Bears, Sunday was horrible. Not just one player on offense had a bad game, most did. And it was a different issue each play. We rarely called a good play and had all of the players execute effectively. False start here. Missed block there. Passed up opportunity on another. Green Bay has a good defense, but the chances were there if we didn't shoot ourselves in the left foot then shoot the right foot while we're attending to the left.

The defense, where we should be hanging our hat, couldn't pressure Love and he made us pay. Not sure how that gets fixed with this line and this scheme. The most obvious answer is to blitz more, but do we have blitz packages in place to call more often?

I didn't agree with the sentiment that we would challenge for the NFC North title, but I did think we should win 6-7 games with improvements shown in all phases. Let's see where we are after 4 games.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:52 PM   #243
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

You wonder how much trust there is in the group of quarterbacks who are always available on practice squads. The Jet version is Tim Boyle, who has thrown a remarkable eight interceptions in 106 career passes in this role. Boyle had beaten out Chris Streveler for the Jets' practice squad.

The Michigan board is excited because Hackett is connected to Chad Henne (hence the headline "Henne and the Jets", which would be fun). Henne is 38, though, and hasn't seen much action in years. He wasn't very good when he had his chance to start regularly long ago. It's been 36 years since a Michigan quarterback wasn't in the league, and it's likely J.J. McCarthy will stick next year, so continuity has a plus for them.

The Jets have a recent history with Flacco, who is also 38. Nick Foles, Colt McCoy and Trevor Siemian are presumably available backups with some history of playing.

I don't see the argument for Brady coming back. Kaepernick is "only" 35, but his game was more a running game and it's rare for running quarterbacks to still be effective at that age. He's been out of the game a long time, too. There's a difference between staying in shape and football shape. And could the team handle the media aspect - there would be a lot of pressure to bench Wilson at the first sign of weakness, which probably won't take long.

I wouldn't expect a trade. Winston might be the most intriguing name, but New Orleans just saw the guy they drafted in the fourth round suspended. But if Wilson really fails, someone could shake loose for a low pick.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 02:02 PM   #244
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
best lines from me and elsewhere regarding Aaron Rodgers forgetting to discount double check his Achilles...

1) Aaron Rodgers took four snaps in the game yesterday. Five if you count the Achilles tendon.

2) Someone else joked that the Jets are the only franchise to ever hire a hall-of-fame level head coach and never have him be the head coach for a single game, and to sign a Hall of Fame Level QB, and not have him complete a single pass (Belichick and Rodgers)

3) Speaking of Belichick, the only way this could have been worse is if Rodgers had pulled a Belichick and wrote "I resign as QB of the NYJ" on a napkin and handed it in before week 1.

How bout this killer take?

Old 09-13-2023, 02:02 PM   #245
cuervo72
Head Coach

What's Tim Tebow doing?
Old 09-13-2023, 02:04 PM   #246
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I mentioned this play earlier. Either someone did the wrong thing or it was play design you shouldn't see at the NFL level. Either way, fields needs to just throw it away.

Watched some more of JT O'Sullivans breakdown. No surprises. Getsy was bad as an OC Sunday, execution was bad by several players, and Fields has to get better at aggressively taking the throws that are there down the field. Getsy really didn't have a good gameplan for Fields on Sunday though. Especially for the first game out the gate.
I think this is really a simple play that 85 missed his assignment. He was supposed to block the free man on the edge, but instead moved to the second level. It was a run/pass option that with that guy blocked gave Fields choices. With him coming on touched, the play was blown.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #247
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I think that's a decent take on it. He acted like he was going to stay in to help block, didn't pick up anybody, then floated downfield without really running a route (but sort of hovered near the linebacker, accomplishing I don't know what). I don't know if he expected the backer to come so he didn't pick up the guy on the outside or wtf he was doing.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:22 PM   #248
cuervo72
Head Coach

Or safety maybe. I don't know anymore without any number rules.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:34 PM   #249
rjolley
College Starter

Fields relies too much on his athletic ability in those plays. Granted, it served him very well last year. It's also why he takes questionable sacks. In that play, the QB thing to do is throw it away. For a playmaker, you think you're going to make that guy miss and be able to make a play. When you do, it's glorious. When you don't, you get severely questioned. Can you even teach someone with that kind of ability to throw it away when he could and has gotten away and made big plays consistently?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 03:43 PM   #250
GrantDawg

Stetson Bennett has been put on the non-football injury reserve list. Sean McVay would not disclose the reason saying they will keep it in-house. Rehab?