Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2023, 08:24 PM   #251
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Stetson Bennett has been put on the non-football injury reserve list. Sean McVay would not disclose the reason saying they will keep it in-house. Rehab?

I'm going with osteoporosis.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:30 PM   #252
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm going with osteoporosis.

This is a high quality response.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #253
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Nobody is trading their starter at this point in the season - well maybe the Cards but you can’t get Murray under the cap if you wanted to although it would be amusing to have two injured QBs with the highest cap hits in the league I suppose.

Are backups any better than Wilson or Wentz? Maybe you hope Mariota can be a better version of Wilson or that you get OK Jameis rather than “fuck it I’m throwing downfield” Jameis, but I can’t see an obvious option that keeps them in contention. Wilson knows the offense and is supposedly showing signs of improvement, he’s almost certainly the guy and they will sign a veteran to backup.
Jameis, Davis Mills in Houston, Cooper Rush in Dallas seem like the 3 cheap backups, if the Rams look bad the next month maybe Stafford is available? The "good thing" about it happening Week 1 (and improbably sneaking out that win over a division rival) is you can give Wilson a few weeks as the starter before needing to make a move, and saying anything other than Zach is our guy would just kill your leverage. Colt McCoy allegedly has a shoulder injury he's been dealing with, maybe that heals in the interim too. I can't imagine any of these other statuesque old FA names could survive behind that OL.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:00 PM   #254
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
For me it calls into question the level of competition that QBs like Maye play against. The ACC isn't exactly the SEC which is why a few years ago the Trubisky pick over Watson was just dumb. I see the same possible issue with Maye. It's a crapshoot anyway, but I've seen too much of Fields slow processing to know he is not a franchise QB. I just hope that the Bears don't win too many games and have to give up a ton of draft capital to move into a good draft position for 2024.
I think Drake Maye is pretty overrated myself and Watson's performances vs Alabama showed him to be an elite prospect, but what conference do you think he played in? Shoot he didn't just play in the ACC he got to avoid the one really good defense in the league at the time. Not advocating for any of them 1st round but the league was also loaded with mid round prospects last year though a couple have transferred out (Hartman, Van Dyke, Leonard, Leary, Travis, decidedly not Brennan Armstrong LoL)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:56 PM   #255
Edward64
Head Coach

Hmmm. Probably saw Gringer doing well and figured why not compromise also.

MSN
Quote:
According to NFL Insider Jordan Schultz, Colin Kaepernick has reached out to the New York Jets in hopes that he could help replace Aaron Rodgers after his devastating injury on Monday night.

“I just spoke with Colin Kaepernick, who tells me his agent has reached out to the #Jets about his desire to make an NFL return. Kaepernick remains on the West Coast working out,” Schultz said in a tweet this week.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:39 AM   #256
Suicane75
Coordinator

The year is 2040, colin Kaepernick reaches out to the Packers about replacing a retiring Jordan Love.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #257
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Primetime Kirk Cousins, let's go!

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:15 PM   #258
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Hopeful as a Vikings fan and ready to have that hope crushed in the next 15 minutes or so.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:52 PM   #259
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Primetime Kirk Cousins, let's go!

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

He certainly let the ball go...
Old 09-14-2023, 08:57 PM   #260
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hard to blame cousins for this. Punt return fumble, left tackle whiffs the block and he gets blindsided, Jeffereson fumbles on the goal line...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #261
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, plenty of time.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:36 PM   #262
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oh man, I forgot how much Kirk Herbstreit sucks on TNF. It's remarkable because he seems fine on Saturdays, but he somehow sucks the air out of these TNF broadcasts.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:28 PM   #263
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The Vikings are now -6 in turnover margin. Cousins has 700 yards passing (6,000-yard pace), Jefferson 20 receptions for 309 yards (170-2,626 pace). And they're 0-2 (0-17 pace).

Do you blame Cousins? Four of the turnovers are his. Even when you're blind-sided (I didn't see the game), you're supposed to have an internal clock out there.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #264
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Brad Biggs, Bears columnist. Agreeing with a lot of my impressions of Fields from the Packers game.

Quote:
I know there has been a lot of criticism of Getsy’s game plan, but what a lot of people are missing is there were plenty of plays on which I’m sure Justin Fields’ first and second reads were downfield. For myriad reasons, he didn’t push the ball to the second or third level often.

Only four of his 37 passes traveled 10 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage. One was the touchdown pass to Darnell Mooney. One was the interception over the middle by Packers linebacker Quay Walker. There were a lot of passes in the flat and screens, and I’d venture to say more than half of the 16 passes targeted for running backs were check-downs when the primary and secondary targets were — guess where — downfield.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:49 PM   #265
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

No pressure, zach, no pressure
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 10:50 PM   #266
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Actually feeling fairly positive given the Vikings are 0-2. I will definitely take this defense over last year's. Did pretty well tonight for having two offensive line starters out against that defensive line. A lot of last year's good luck evening out.

Cousins is playing well enough. 4 turnovers but I'd really only fault him for 2 and those were blindside sacks where he held on to the ball too long. Also had his offensive lineman knock the ball out of his hands at the snap and a wide receiver out fought for an interception (same receiver dropped two balls tonight)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:51 PM   #267
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hmmm. Probably saw Gringer doing well and figured why not compromise also.

MSN

wait! I see a perfect match! Kaeper should reach out to Da Bearss!

They already run clown routes!@

All they were missing is da clown to sell more tix! Perfect matcH!
Old 09-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #268
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That Falcon drive had so much good, and so much concerning. Ridder made a couple of runs including one in the red zone that was design run that was really encouraging. He really need to learn to use his speed and it would open up so much. The play calling mixing up Allgeire and Robinson looked so good. Loved seeing both on the field at the same time. It makes so many weapons for the defense to consider.
The concerning was Ridder missing an open Pitts without any real pressure. That along with the chunk it up in the air pass for his first interception of his career make you worry. On the general playcalling, what was that play with 4 tight ends on the goal line? Making it a pass to try to fool the defense makes some sense, but the Packers knew that pass was going to Pitts and the defende showed it. Settling for a FG after a 15 play drive is sub-optimal.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:10 PM   #269
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

They're actually showing all these open reads Fields is missing this week. It's pretty telling.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-17-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:33 PM   #270
GrantDawg

Falcons have a solid two minute drive to tie it up. Gambling on 4th and 1 at the GB 20 paid off, though taking the points there was probably tempting. Ridder with 5 runs and throwing it around well. 12 completions with 5 different recievers so far. Bijan already has 72 rushing yards.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:34 PM   #271
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, the good news is that the Bears are still in position to tank.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #272
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Carolina is more than welcome to tank as well.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:09 PM   #273
GrantDawg

The refs absolutely robbed Mack Hollins of a touchdown. He caught the ball in the air and had both toes down in bounds. Because his heels landed out of bounds they called it incomplete. They allow toe drags, how is that different?
Old 09-17-2023, 02:48 PM   #274
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

GENO with a major brainfart there.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #275
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

He didn't throw a pick there, though. I come away from this game really impressed with him - even over last season. All those years as a backup, and now he's the guy people thought he could be with the Jets.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:17 PM   #276
GrantDawg

Big comeback win for the Falcons. 2-0, and the team looks to be coming together.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:23 PM   #277
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Well, the good news is that the Bears are still in position to tank.
They don't have to tank. Playing at their best with this roster and coaching staff will still equal enough losses to compete for the first pick again. 0-17? Possible. But I suspect that the tides will reverse and the Bears win one more game than Houston just to even things up.

Five things we know for sure: 1) Ryan Pace has zero clue about drafting quarterbacks; 2) Tremaine Edmunds is waaaay overpaid and should never again be mentioned in the same breath as Urlacher; 3) With his helmet on, Justin Fields looks like Pepe the Frog and plays about the same; 4) no one in this organization will have the balls to sit Fields and play Bagent; and 5) Eberflus' HITS philosophy has been officially changed to SHIT.

Last edited by weegeebored : 09-17-2023 at 03:34 PM. Reason: too angry to type correctly the first time
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM   #278
Thomkal
Head Coach

Still on the Lions bandwagon I guess even with the loss.

Hey look Cardinals scored a TD....
Old 09-17-2023, 03:44 PM   #279
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like Bijan Robinson was a good bet for the Falcons. Hope he continues to do well

EDIT: his game highlight reel. I liked the one at :56. He has some nice moves.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-18-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:01 PM   #280
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ok then I might have found a team worse than my beloved Cards this season.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:13 PM   #281
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
They're actually showing all these open reads Fields is missing this week. It's pretty telling.

Fields was god awful today. Time to move one.

Should be easy with the picks and 3 likely first round qbs out there assuming Sanders leaves early instead of returning to play for his dad 1 more year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:24 PM   #282
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There are slow starts to a season and then there is whatever the Giants decided to try.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #283
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
He didn't throw a pick there, though. I come away from this game really impressed with him - even over last season. All those years as a backup, and now he's the guy people thought he could be with the Jets.

He's always had some of the best arm talent I've ever seen. All qbs aren't meant to start right out the gate, especially when there isn't the talent or coaching to support them. It's nice to see things working out for him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:45 PM   #284
Thomkal
Head Coach

There's the Cardinals I know...
Old 09-17-2023, 04:53 PM   #285
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It says a lot about how the game has changed, when it comes to Logan Thomas getting KTFO in catching a touchdown pass. Circa 2000, ESPN NFL Primetime would have shown it eighty three billion times with the words "JACKED UP" said roughly the same amount, and now it gets a player ejected.

(I prefer modern day, if you were wondering)
Old 09-17-2023, 06:55 PM   #286
JPhillips
General Manager

Burrow's calf is going to be a problem all year.

And it's ging to keep them out of the playoffs.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:56 PM   #287
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Ok then I might have found a team worse than my beloved Cards this season.

Or maybe not...
Old 09-17-2023, 07:01 PM   #288
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DANNY DIMES!!!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:17 PM   #289
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I don't understand this fine crap. The Jets won last week's game on a punt return. Now suddenly the league is fining a guyy saying he tripped a guy on the play. So fucking what.
People are saying it should have been called a penalty which calls back the touchdown....possibly no win. But it wasn't and Jets won. No one saw it, no one called it. Game over. Done. So what's this fine crap? Bullshit. If a call was missed, tough shit. Fine the refs then for missing it. Otherwise forget about it. It's done. Don't understand how tripping is a penalty. People try to knock people off balance any way they can all the time.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:14 PM   #290
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I thought it would be interesting to see the play cards, since they're showing the coaches in closeup a lot and McDaniel is holding a large card. But they've got some technology of some sort working there. Even when the headers are readable, the text is completely obscured. You can tell the subheaders refer to personnel groups, but that's it. Nothing on the plays. Went frame-by-frame, recalling those days when you'd watch cable and try and catch the good parts of movies between whatever scrambling technology they used to use. They must have something built in - even a seven-second delay wouldn't be enough to define a space by hand in the truck.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:13 PM   #291
Ksyrup

Try jimmying the knob with a baseball card or credit card. Worked for me 35 years ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-17-2023, 09:19 PM   #292
GrantDawg

"Think that's a boob.....no, darn it. Elbow...."

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2023, 09:28 PM   #293
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"Think that's a boob.....no, darn it. Elbow...."

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

that sounds familiar....like people looking at a jigsaw puzzle.
maybe M*A*S*H?
Old 09-17-2023, 09:30 PM   #294
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

When we first had cable, we had one of those boxes with a push button for every channel. That was back in the days when cable systems had channels that went beyond your typical Cinemax fare.

If you pushed the buttons on either side of a channel simultaneously and got the timing right, it would bypass whatever scrambling technology was inside the box.

Of course, these days, ten-year-olds are watching far, far worse on the Internet without even having to look for it.

The Patriots are bad. Can't handle the Dolphins' speed and can't generate enough of a running game to make the passing effective. And I have no idea why Mac Jones threw to a covered receiver who won't battle for anything on a first down.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #295
molson
General Manager

Quote:
When we first had cable, we had one of those boxes with a push button for every channel. That was back in the days when cable systems had channels that went beyond your typical Cinemax fare.

If you pushed the buttons on either side of a channel simultaneously and got the timing right, it would bypass whatever scrambling technology was inside the box.

Wow, I've tried to describe this phenomenon to people over the years and nobody has had any idea what I'm talking about.

We had a community cable setup in the 80's - homes were wired to just get the over-the-air channels clearly, and then you could upgrade from there (we were just far enough from Boston that antennas didn't give you much). We had a VCR that the cable ran through, and the VCR had those individual channel push-buttons, 1-13 I think. I figured out that if you pushed those buttons in different combinations, you'd get cable and premium channels. Like 1+4 would be ESPN, 2+8 would be HBO. That was cool.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:35 AM   #296
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, I remember the push button ones too and doing that. Not too long after they switched to the dial boxes, and couldn't do it anymore.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #297
Ksyrup

I remember the dial boxes, and messing with the dial with a card could get you somewhat watchable premium channels. Especially for a 14 year old tuning in after midnight.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #298
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, this is actually pretty cool.

New MNF theme is a new version of an old classic:

Phil Collins's "In the Air Tonight", done by Chris Stapleton, Cindy Black, and... SNOOP DOG?

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/sta...82677583663345
Old 09-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #299
cuervo72
Head Coach

Honestly, I just mute all of these now. Carrie Underwood's on NBC got too country for me, I don't know wtf is doing the B1G Saturday Night stuff, etc. I mean I guess it was cool for a bit with MNF riffing off Little Richard, but even then I usually tuned in too late for it. I don't need a pre-game concert k thx.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Carrie Underwood's on NBC got too country for me

That was pretty much the shark jump