Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2023, 10:31 AM   #7601
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watched Elvis last night. The kid that played him was great. Didn’t love Hanks. Just thought the movie was OK. Lacked depth IMO.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #7602
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to the new D&D move on Mar 31.

I don't remember the group referenced below but I chuckled watching the clip ... they found, opened, and got goodies from treasure chests in the maze!

Still looks campy to me but the early previews are good.

Dungeons & Dragons Movie Clip Reveals D&D Cartoon Characters Cameo
Quote:
The clip shows off several classic D&D monsters, including a displacer beast and a gelatinous cube, and also shows a surprising cameo by the cast of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, which ran on TV in the 1980s. The full group appears as a rival adventuring party to Edgin's group and seems to be having some better luck than the third party participating in the contest, who sees several members get mauled by a displacer beast.
Quote:
The movie debuted to strong reviews and currently has an 85% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-14-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:08 AM   #7603
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Still looks campy to me but the early previews are good.
This was my impression from the tv commercial I saw. I game with a TTRPG group who are big D&D fans. Of course they will love it no matter how bad it is. Even though it's not directly related to Hasbro these guys sure have short memories when it comes to D&D.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:17 AM   #7604
Edward64
Head Coach

I was telling my wife that I may want to join a D&D or RPG group. There is a game/comic book store relatively close by and they have tables for folks to play (and buy their overpriced sodas & snacks).

I know there are virtual stuff I can join but I remember the "table top" fondly from college days. Don't think you can beat the live, in person interactions.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #7605
Atocep
Coordinator

I loved the 80s D&D cartoon.

Looking forward to seeing this. It's getting solid reviews from the early screening over the weekend.

Btw, if you have a prime account you can get tickets to a showing on the 19th at participating theaters. There are several around here showing it so it doesn't seem to be limited.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:48 AM   #7606
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I don't want to go too far astray in this thread but gaming in person is the best. Our group used to play in a Hampton Inn until they booted us out. (We spent money on food and drinks every week so I am not sure what the problem was.) There are advantages to virtual platforms like Roll20, but players seem to be more easily distracted using that format.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:03 PM   #7607
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Who knew a text based sim message board could have so many nerds...
Old 03-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #7608
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm still gaming with a gang locally. Many of us have been gaming together off and on since middle-school.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #7609
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I'm still gaming with a gang locally. Many of us have been gaming together off and on since middle-school.

That is great. So it's like the Stranger Things crew (but with beer bellies)?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-14-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:30 PM   #7610
GrantDawg

Quote:
I was telling my wife that I may want to join a D&D or RPG group. There is a game/comic book store relatively close by and they have tables for folks to play (and buy their overpriced sodas & snacks).

I know there are virtual stuff I can join but I remember the "table top" fondly from college days. Don't think you can beat the live, in person interactions.
The only thing I will warn you about pick-up groups at places like that is they are very hit-and-miss. We have a couple of people that we met playing in Lawerenceville that we stayed in touch with for awhile, but there was a couple of people we dealt with there that stopped us from playing there. Not saying you are talking about Lawrenceville, just the general experience with trying to play in those places.

You might want to try /lfg on Reddit. You can search for groups locally that play someplace close, and it gives you an opportunity to interview them (as well as they, you) before you start.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:31 PM   #7611
GrantDawg

Quote:
That is great. So it's like the Stranger Things crew (but with beer bellies)?
Stranger Things is absolutely how I would describe us.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:32 PM   #7612
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Same.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:32 PM   #7613
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So what gang did you game with? Crypts? Bloods? Latin Kings? MS-13? Aryan Brotherhood?
Old 03-14-2023, 09:34 PM   #7614
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So what gang did you game with? Crypts? Bloods? Latin Kings? MS-13? Aryan Brotherhood?

... Triad or Yakuza etc.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #7615
Edward64
Head Coach

World War Z - 8.5/10

Rewatched WWZ last night. I have to say this is my favorite zombie movie in this millennia with Train to Busan & Dawn of the Dead remake as #2 & #3.

The first 30 min are fantastic. The traffic mess and chaos, the apartment, the helicopter rescue.

(BTW - I know I've seen it before but only kinda registered. I like how Brad Pitt duct tape rolled up magazines on his forearm, makes sense).

The middle was great. The carrier part sucked but liked the trip to Korea and the airport scene, going to Israel, the wall, the chaos after they broke through, and the airplane scene was fantastic.

The last part, at the lab, was the weakest but because of the let down on the fast paced action.

They shouldn't have named it WWZ because it was only a little like the book, but its a great movie in its own right.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:10 PM   #7616
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Scream V: I laughing at myself for the fact that I checked out and watched the movie Scream 5 "so that I'd be caught up and didn't miss anything so I can see Scream 6." That's a moment...

It IS better than the Ehren Krueger crap. However it is missing a sense of humour. It does keep the meta commentary going tho. It does a good job of making people likable so that you are sad when they get killed...except for the obvious "bitches that are trying hard to be bitches". It never at any point is believable anymore.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:57 PM   #7617
Atocep
Coordinator

Oh hi shark
Old 03-23-2023, 10:07 PM   #7618
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Skip the movie but damn I need those underwear
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:36 PM   #7619
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'm on a shitty movie kick. I've run through the various Gerard Butler world/America disaster movies and they're all bad, but not so bad that they should get overly shit on.

I currently have The Happening on, the Mark Wahlberg vehicle from 2008. Holy fuck this movie is so bad. Wikipedia seems to be forgiving of it as some sort of B-movie classic, but it's so much worse than that. I cant describe how bad the acting and writing is.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:46 PM   #7620
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I'm on a shitty movie kick. I've run through the various Gerard Butler world/America disaster movies and they're all bad, but not so bad that they should get overly shit on.

I currently have The Happening on, the Mark Wahlberg vehicle from 2008. Holy fuck this movie is so bad. Wikipedia seems to be forgiving of it as some sort of B-movie classic, but it's so much worse than that. I cant describe how bad the acting and writing is.

It was one of the two movies where M Night Shyamalan's star really fell. Like Sixth Sense was great. I'd argue Unbreakable was better. I like Signs but it's more mixed reception. The Village is too predictable, though I'd argue if you didn't know it was him and you weren't looking for a twist, it was fine.

But then it seems like he decides he has to go all artsy because his "formula" is predictable. So you Lady in the Water, which is like this weird horror version of a fairy tale, only not. And then The Happening, which is like a 60s Day of the Triffids type horror-movie-updated-for-the-present. Only it's not good. And the script is slow and boring, but to make up for it, he also gets nothing out of a pretty mediocre cast: Marky Mark, John Leguizamo, and Zoeey.

But, don't worry, he falls even further with the Last Airbender and After Earth before having a little resurgence of late with Split and Glass

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:12 PM   #7621
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

It almost feels like they filmed the scenes out of order, but gave the actors no background info, gave them the script before each scene and pretend you're not an actor but a random person we picked up off the street.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:19 AM   #7622
Suicane75
Coordinator

2008 Horror Fest: The Happening: 67 Out Of 100 Stars
I really liked this movie. And I honestly have no clue what all the bitching and moaning is about except this disturbing inner notion that people have turned on M. Knight for reasons I can't quite comprehend.

The story is basic, simple and very suspenseful. Big occurrences come with the proper shock and awe that all good suspense movies strive for and so very few achieve. In fact as I watched this, observing, not lamenting the slower pace I found myself in anticipation of what would happen next, not in boredom as I suspect a lot of the critics were.

Knights actors have always presented a stilted way of talk, a more reserved way of doing things. What others are calling bad acting I believe is in fact very true to the way of how he wants his characters to behave and come across. I felt in this film and in his previous films that this behavior is right in tune with the mysterious backdrops of his stories.

If he ever returns to his halcyon days of public and critical praise I think it will be with a movie much like this than reprising the "shocking" twists of his early works. A subtle, low key but highly suspenseful movie.

In summation, it's slow but doesn't drag, contains mystery and otherworldly elements but doesn't bombard you with supernatural cockamamie and really is a nice film.

I remembered liking it more than most.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:20 AM   #7623
Suicane75
Coordinator

Watched X and loved it. The lead is a fucking star. Looking forward to Pearl.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:26 AM   #7624
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
2008 Horror Fest: The Happening: 67 Out Of 100 Stars
I really liked this movie. And I honestly have no clue what all the bitching and moaning is about except this disturbing inner notion that people have turned on M. Knight for reasons I can't quite comprehend.

The story is basic, simple and very suspenseful. Big occurrences come with the proper shock and awe that all good suspense movies strive for and so very few achieve. In fact as I watched this, observing, not lamenting the slower pace I found myself in anticipation of what would happen next, not in boredom as I suspect a lot of the critics were.

Knights actors have always presented a stilted way of talk, a more reserved way of doing things. What others are calling bad acting I believe is in fact very true to the way of how he wants his characters to behave and come across. I felt in this film and in his previous films that this behavior is right in tune with the mysterious backdrops of his stories.

If he ever returns to his halcyon days of public and critical praise I think it will be with a movie much like this than reprising the "shocking" twists of his early works. A subtle, low key but highly suspenseful movie.

In summation, it's slow but doesn't drag, contains mystery and otherworldly elements but doesn't bombard you with supernatural cockamamie and really is a nice film.

I remembered liking it more than most.

It's been years since I've seen it and I also was a huge fan of Shyamalan (still do like a number of his movies but the Avatar adaptation the Will Smith and kid movie were both awful). And I felt that his criticism was reaching an unfair fever pitch, too. But I remember it just being slow - the jokes about "nothing happens in The Happening" felt real to me. And the acting was just not good at all. Not like "not good for an Oscar" but "not good for an action/horror movie".

SI

Old 03-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #7625
Edward64
Head Coach

John Wick 4 is getting good reviews

Love Donnie Yen. Also happy that Scott Adkins is in a big time movie.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #7626
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watching Signs and the acting is also pretty stilted. Maybe it's a stylistic choice on M. Knight's, side.

Also, Joaquin Phoenix's character was noted for hitting massive home runs and striking out a ton. Seems if he was born 15 years later he'd be Joey Gallo.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:39 PM   #7627
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This ad for the dungeons and dragons movie is amazing...

Freaks and Geeks costars reunite for Dungeons and Dragons | EW.com
Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 PM   #7628
GrantDawg

Cocaine Bear- 8/10 That was a crazy romp in the woods.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:16 PM   #7629
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad you liked it.

Planning to watch it when it gets to $6 rental on Prime
Old 04-01-2023, 04:51 PM   #7630
GrantDawg

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: 9/10
I am going to preface this by saying that, in general, I am not hyper-critical. Something usually has to be pretty bad for me to hate it, and D&D has been a part of my life for 40 years. I don't know if that last part actually would make me more critical of something trying to use that name, but in another way I have been waiting for something in media to actually do something good without that IP for decades. This maybe me just being ecstatic it didn't outright suck.

The movie was just fun. It had comedy. It had action. It had a dragon. It was just fantastic to see so many staples of the D&D game represented, and actually represented well. It wasn't a faithful representation of the rules, but it was a very faithful representation of what a D&D campaign is often like. Part danger/part silliness, blended with a little bit of heart and storytelling. It is not Shakespeare. There are definitely some trope-y plot points, and there are somethings you can see coming from a mile away. But in the end, like most D&D games, it is not about the story as much as how you get there.

I don't know what someone who has never played the game will make of it. I think it will stand up for itself, but it is hard to tell. When you consider things like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones are so much about the storytelling. This is more like Guardians of the Galaxy, where it is action along with comic characters.

If you watch it, do keep an eye out for Easter eggs. I am sure I missed many, but I definitely got the homage to the old D&D Saturday morning cartoon. Also, I have no idea where I had read this was going to be set in the Dragonlance setting. It was Forgotten Realms through and through. Loved they had several specific races represented. That was cool to see.

My only nitpick and some favorite parts in spoilers:
Spoiler
Old 04-01-2023, 04:58 PM   #7631
Atocep
Coordinator

Just got back from seeing it and it's a great movie. It can be nitpicked, but it's a fun movie that stays faithful to the source material. It absolutely captures a lot of the best parts of D&D that makes it great.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:12 PM   #7632
GrantDawg

I will add one thing I think this movie might do better than any movie I have ever seen. The platonic friends relationship between Edgin and Holga. They were so loyal to each other without any romance involved. It was a part of what gave the movie so much heart.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:01 AM   #7633
CarterNMA
Mascot

I mostly agree with GrantDawg's last two posts but I'll preface this with, in general, I AM hyper-critical. And holy hell, it' been part of my life for 42 years. Ugh, I'm old.

My first gripe is that I just didn't like Hugh Grant's performance. I may be biased from watching his appearance on Colbert Monday night.* He just seemed he didn't want to be there and really just wanted a paycheck out of the movie. Also, it is a bit slow in the beginning. After the movie we were talking about how the slow start is kind of reflective of how a lot of campaigns start, with everybody having to be brought together and learn how to interact with the new personalities around them. So take my "slow" critique with a grain of salt.

Overall, I give the movie a:
STR - 17. One actor was phoning it in and that really bugs me.
INT - 17. The banter is good and realistic but they kind of skip over the traveling between different locales. If they hadn't shown us the map, I wouldn't have been able to bitch about this.
WIS -18. SO MANY REFERENCES to old school AD&D twas awesome. Loved seeing some iconic monsters too.
DEX - 18. The fighting scenes are very well done and highly entertaining. (The spoiler below speaks to this part of the review.) FYI, there isn't an end-of-credits cameo but there is one between the fancy credits and the white-on-black credits.
CON - 16. It clocks in at 2 hour and 14 minutes. My bladder can't last that long these days with all that soda in me. And my ass gets sore sitting too long, even with those reclining seats.
CHA - 18. It's very cheeky! Which is what real sessions are like. The party's chemistry is very good. And I echo GrantDawg: it was nice to have a movie where the male lead and the female lead are not jammed into some lame romantic relationship.

Spoiler

* It was super-cool hearing Colbert talk about AD&D. I say AD&D because it's clear he is a 1e guy. Magic-user instead of mage. Thief instead of rogue. Heck, he didn't even know what a rogue was.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:22 AM   #7634
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterNMA View Post
I mostly agree with GrantDawg's last two posts but I'll preface this with, in general, I AM hyper-critical. And holy hell, it' been part of my life for 42 years. Ugh, I'm old.

My first gripe is that I just didn't like Hugh Grant's performance. I may be biased from watching his appearance on Colbert Monday night.* He just seemed he didn't want to be there and really just wanted a paycheck out of the movie. Also, it is a bit slow in the beginning. After the movie we were talking about how the slow start is kind of reflective of how a lot of campaigns start, with everybody having to be brought together and learn how to interact with the new personalities around them. So take my "slow" critique with a grain of salt.

Overall, I give the movie a:
STR - 17. One actor was phoning it in and that really bugs me.
INT - 17. The banter is good and realistic but they kind of skip over the traveling between different locales. If they hadn't shown us the map, I wouldn't have been able to bitch about this.
WIS -18. SO MANY REFERENCES to old school AD&D twas awesome. Loved seeing some iconic monsters too.
DEX - 18. The fighting scenes are very well done and highly entertaining. (The spoiler below speaks to this part of the review.) FYI, there isn't an end-of-credits cameo but there is one between the fancy credits and the white-on-black credits.
CON - 16. It clocks in at 2 hour and 14 minutes. My bladder can't last that long these days with all that soda in me. And my ass gets sore sitting too long, even with those reclining seats.
CHA - 18. It's very cheeky! Which is what real sessions are like. The party's chemistry is very good. And I echo GrantDawg: it was nice to have a movie where the male lead and the female lead are not jammed into some lame romantic relationship.

Spoiler

* It was super-cool hearing Colbert talk about AD&D. I say AD&D because it's clear he is a 1e guy. Magic-user instead of mage. Thief instead of rogue. Heck, he didn't even know what a rogue was.

be sure to look up the freaks and geeks reunion ad for it that has the 3 geeks playing a game of D&D.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:16 AM   #7635
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterNMA View Post
Spoiler

The answer to your spoiler: lore

Spoiler
Old 04-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #7636
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The answer to your spoiler: lore

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 04-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #7637
GrantDawg

I am having a hard time finding people that disliked this movie. It is almost shocking, especially considering the box-office is sort of meh.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #7638
Atocep
Coordinator

My wife had zero interest in seeing it, but I dragged her along and she ended up really liking it.

The brilliance of this movie is they found a way to balance the appeal to D&D fans and those who don't know much or really anything about D&D.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #7639
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I am having a hard time finding people that disliked this movie. It is almost shocking, especially considering the box-office is sort of meh.

Maybe it’ll be one of those rare films that doesn’t have a massive drop off due to good word of mouth?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:56 PM   #7640
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Movies have become the media slum, and these days it seems rare that anything gets positive reviews, which makes the fact that they've somehow finally made a decent D&D movie now, even more remarkable.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:02 PM   #7641
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Re: Dragonlance, you probably confused it with the show Mangiello is apparently doing.

Yeah: https://www.cbr.com/dnd-joe-manganie...ce-adaptation/

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-02-2023 at 06:02 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:13 PM   #7642
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Re: Dragonlance, you probably confused it with the show Mangiello is apparently doing.

Yeah: https://www.cbr.com/dnd-joe-manganie...ce-adaptation/

That would be great.

The zombie era has passed, Paramount is doing a good job with its StarTrek Franchise, and Disney is keeping Star Wars alive. I would love to see more D&D type shows.

Just not those bad ones you find on Prime with 3 stars.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-02-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:18 PM   #7643
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
That would be great.

The zombie era has passed, Paramount is doing a good job with its StarTrek Franchise, and Disney is keeping Star Wars alive. I would love to see more D&D type shows.

Just not those bad ones you find on Prime with 3 stars.

With Forgotten Realms alone there's so much potential. They could do action, horror, thriller, drama, ect. Everything doesn't have to be your standard fantasy film. The potential is there if someone smart and talented enough takes control.

BTW, I'd love to see a Planescape movie.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #7644
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am currently 11 beers deep watching The Running Man. 112/10
Old 04-03-2023, 07:21 AM   #7645
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Were you cheering for our heroic stalkers or the vile Ben Richards, the Butcher of Bakersfield?

SI

Old 04-03-2023, 07:30 AM   #7646
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
With Forgotten Realms alone there's so much potential. They could do action, horror, thriller, drama, ect. Everything doesn't have to be your standard fantasy film. The potential is there if someone smart and talented enough takes control.

BTW, I'd love to see a Planescape movie.
I would love to see more Forgotten Realms, but if we are talking any other D&D settings, the top of my list would be Ravenloft.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:57 AM   #7647
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Put this on the list of movies that simultaneously should be remade and should never be remade.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #7648
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

IMO The Running Man is the greatest movie based off of a Stephen King novel.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:46 AM   #7649
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Put this on the list of movies that simultaneously should be remade and should never be remade.

I was thinking that, too. It should be redone, much more like the novel, as dark satire. However, it would get some really weird comparisons to the original movie, which was so very much different as an early Arnold vehicle

SI

Old 04-03-2023, 09:12 AM   #7650
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I would love to see more Forgotten Realms, but if we are talking any other D&D settings, the top of my list would be Ravenloft.

Anything but Icewind Dale. I prefer forests to snow.