Old 12-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #401
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Great job, Japan!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #402
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Well, who had Japan beating Germany and Spain, but losing to Costa Rica, who gave up enough goals to fuel an entire group in their other matches?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:40 PM   #403
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What's the worst loss a team that has made it through to the final 16 ever had in group stage? Costa Rica has a decent shot to make it through despite a 7-0 loss. That's got to be unusual, right?
It would have been the largest loss while still advancing.

Closest thing, West Germany lost 8-3 to Hungary in 1954, but still finished 2nd in the group and eventually beat Hungary 3-2 in the final.

Next closest:
Cameroon lost 4-0 to the USSR in 1990 in the final group match, but still won that group with world champions Argentina and Romania.

Ukraine lost 4-0 to Spain in 2006, but still finished 2nd in thew group behind Spain.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #404
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Man, the UEFA old guard are showing their age. No Germany, no Belgium in the knockout stages (and no Italy at all)....
Old 12-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #405
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Japan beat Germany and Spain while losing to Costa Rica 1-0, while Costa Rica lost 11-2 to Germany and Spain.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:13 PM   #406
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It wouldn't surprise me if Spain purposely played for the loss against Japan once they found out 2nd place was safe, making it Japan vs Croatia and Spain vs Morocco in the next round, while also likely avoiding Brazil in the quarterfinals as well.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:39 PM   #407
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Japan beat Germany and Spain while losing to Costa Rica 1-0, while Costa Rica lost 11-2 to Germany and Spain.
Japan also bizarrely didn't play their best players vs Costa Rica, though I guess it was the right move!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:34 PM   #408
miami_fan
Coordinator

We have one more day of the group stage. Let's see how the confederations are doing.

CAF- Africa had 5 teams get in. 2(Senegal and Morocco) have moved on to the final 16. 2 more are possible (Cameroon and Ghana). 0 teams are currently in last place in their group but Cameroon and Ghana could both finish last after play is done. 4 out of 5 teams in the last 16 would be amazing.

AFC- Asia had 6 teams get in. The host, 4 automatics plus one through the playoff. 2(Japan and Australia) have moved on to the final 16. South Korea is the 1 possible left to make the next round. They have 2 teams who came last in their groups (Qatar and Saudi Arabia) and South Korea is also a DFL possibility.

UEFA- 13 teams in. 7 (France, Portugal, Netherlands, England, Poland, Croatia and Spain) in the 16. 1 more possible between Switzerland and Serbia. Wales and Denmark brought up the rear in their groups. The Swiss or the Serbs could also bring up the rear of their group.

CONMEBOL- It is still shocking for me to type that only 4 teams made it in to the World Cup from South America. Brazil and Argentina are through. No CONMEBOL team has finished bottom of their group. Uruguay has the possibility of going through or finishing bottom.

CONCACAF- 4 teams made it. The U.S. is the only CONCACAF team to make it to the next round. 2 teams (Canada and Costa Rica) came in last in their groups.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That was one of the worst PKs I've ever seen. That dude should have just walked away and asked someone else to take it. Long pause, 2 stutter steps, then a weak kick. That was beyond awful.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #410
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Ghana missing penalties against Uruguay... where have I seen this before?
Old 12-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #411
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The final 10 minutes in the Ghana - Uruguay match were pretty entertaining.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #412
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Seems strange to rest your top offensive players for the next round when you're only one goal elsewhere from being out of the tournament. Unless they were exhausted - television was on the other match until it ended.

I hope the referees get out OK. That looked like it could get ugly fast, with all those yellows after the match ended.

Why was the Uruguay match so much later than the Portugal match? I thought they coordinated them to avoid giving one squad information that could help. In this case, giving several extra minutes of desperation mode to Uruguay after the South Korea goal.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #413
Edward64
Head Coach

The South Korea vs Portugal game was pretty entertaining. Saw the 2nd SK goal.

Changed to the other match, and did see the refs being accosted after the match. Do they have security for the refs?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #414
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'm glad Uruguay lost because when you go physically after refs instead of shouldering the blame for coming up short, you dont deserve to move on.

On a related note, I believe Suarez got more screen time sitting on the sidelines than any non-participant in a sporting event I've watched since networks bizarrely decided we wanted to see Kurt Warner's wife instead of football games about 20 years ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #415
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
since networks bizarrely decided we wanted to see Kurt Warner's wife instead of football games about 20 years ago.

What a (accurate) blast from the past.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #416
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Reading the BBC commentary... seems people are happier that Uruguay is out than in England winning their group. To them, they're the poster children for the cheating, diving, harassing the refs style of play that often makes me glad they don't have the World Cup every year. To me, it seems every squad does this.

The story so far seems to be how much the world is catching up to Europe and South America. More competitive matches, some surprising results. I now see why they wanted to expand to 48. It takes a lot of the drama out of the qualifying process, but there is more depth now. If only they'd expand the group stages as well.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #417
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What a (accurate) blast from the past.

Hard to forget that. That was right at the beginning of the collective network decision to "tell fan stories" rather than focus on the field between plays.

So each game, they'd bring in more of these expensive new cameras and focus them on individual fans all day and night.

Completely ruined baseball that way. It's not meant to be a game watched close up anywhere. And poor Mrs. Warner (Brenda?) was a memorable choice because the Rams were national so often with that incredible offense.
Old 12-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #418
Ksyrup

That was the most screen time Warner's wife had gotten since she replaced Charlotte Rae on Facts of Life.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #419
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Why was the Uruguay match so much later than the Portugal match? I thought they coordinated them to avoid giving one squad information that could help. In this case, giving several extra minutes of desperation mode to Uruguay after the South Korea goal.

Extra time. The URU/GHA match had 9 minutes of extra time in the first half and then 10 minutes in the second half. KOR/POR was +3 and +7 respectively.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #420
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Scenarios for next Friday:
Group GPortugal winsdraw Por - KorSouth Korea wins
Ghana wins
1 Portugal 9
2 Ghana 6
3 & 4 South Korea 1 *A
3 & 4 Uruguay 1 *A
1 Portugal 7
2 Ghana 6
3 South Korea 2
4 Uruguay 1
1 & 2 Portugal 6 *B
1 & 2 Ghana 6 *B
3 South Korea 4
4 Uruguay 1

draw Gha - Uru
1 Portugal 9
2 Ghana 4
3 Uruguay 2
4 South Korea 1
1 Portugal 7
2 Ghana 4
3 & 4 South Korea 2 *A
3 & 4 Uruguay 2 *A
1 Portugal 6
2 & 3 Ghana 4 *C
2 & 3 South Korea 4 *C
4 Uruguay 2

Uruguay wins
1 Portugal 9
2 Uruguay 4
3 Ghana 3
4 South Korea 1
1 Portugal 7
2 Uruguay 4
3 Ghana 3
4 South Korea 2
1 Portugal 6
2 & 3 South Korea 4 *A
2 & 3 Uruguay 4 *A
4 Ghana 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently South Korea leads -1 vs -2), then overall goals scored (South Korea leads 2 vs 0), then overal yellow cards (currently tied 3 each), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overal goal difference (currently Portugal leads +3 vs 0), then overall goals scored (curreltny tied 5 each), then head-to-head (Portugal won)
*C comes down to overal goal difference (currently Ghana leads 0 vs -1), then overall goals scored (currently Ghana leads 5 vs 2), then head-to-head (Ghana won)

Group HBrazil winsdraw Bra - CmrCameroon wins
Switzerland wins
1 Brazil 9
2 Switzerland 6
3 & 4 Cameroon 1 *A
3 & 4 Serbia 1 *A
1 Brazil 7
2 Switzerland 6
3 Cameroon 2
4 Serbia 1
1 & 2 Brazil 6 *
1 & 2 Switzerland 6 *
3 Cameroon 4
4 Serbia 1

draw Sui - Srb
1 Brazil 9
2 Switzerland 4
3 Serbia 2
4 Cameroon 1
1 Brazil 7
2 Switzerland 4
3 & 4 Cameroon 2 *A
3 & 4 Serbia 2 *A
1 Brazil 6
2 & 3 Switzerland 4 *C
2 & 3 Cameroon 4 *C
4 Serbia 2

Serbia wins
1 Brazil 9
2 Serbia 4
3 Switzerland 3
4 Cameroon 1
1 Brazil 7
2 Serbia 4
3 Switzerland 3
4 Cameroon 2
1 Brazil 6
2 & 3 Cameroon 4 *A
2 & 3 Serbia 4 *A
4 Switzerland 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently Cameroon leads -1 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently tied 3 each), then overall yellow cards (currently Cameroon leads 3 vs 5), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently Brazil leads +3 vs 0), then overall goals scored (currently Brazil leads 3 vs 1), then head-to-head (Brazil won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Switzerland leads 0 vs -1), then overall goals scored (currently Cameroon leads 3 vs 1), then head-to-head (Switzerland won)

BTW, thanks for these. They have been invaluable as I try to make sense of what's going on in real time.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:49 PM   #421
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Extra time. The URU/GHA match had 9 minutes of extra time in the first half and then 10 minutes in the second half. KOR/POR was +3 and +7 respectively.

Certainly, the second half is obvious. With the emphasis on adding extra time where warranted (a good decision, I think) and technology making instant updates available wherever you are, I'm surprised they didn't give the Portugal match a longer halftime break. I noticed when South Korea scored in the 91st minute, Uruguay was in the 84th.

Serbia/Switzerland seems fun, goals flying back and forth with everything on the line. Fox is giving us a relaxed Brazil against a game, but thoroughly outclassed Cameroon. That's a shame.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #422
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW, thanks for these. They have been invaluable as I try to make sense of what's going on in real time.
Thanks. It was quite the pleasure to make them and I figured there'd be at least one other person out there interested in having these available without needing to keep a spreadsheet nearby to keep track.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #423
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Thanks. It was quite the pleasure to make them and I figured there'd be at least one other person out there interested in having these available without needing to keep a spreadsheet nearby to keep track.

Yours are more accurate than at least a couple of major sources, as well, including FIFA's own site.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:07 PM   #424
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Certainly, the second half is obvious. With the emphasis on adding extra time where warranted (a good decision, I think) and technology making instant updates available wherever you are, I'm surprised they didn't give the Portugal match a longer halftime break. I noticed when South Korea scored in the 91st minute, Uruguay was in the 84th.
It seems like an easy fix to me to make the second halves also start at the same time like the first half. Would it really harm to have South Korea and Portugal wait 5 additional matches to kick off the second half?
Old 12-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #425
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Serbia/Switzerland seems fun, goals flying back and forth with everything on the line. Fox is giving us a relaxed Brazil against a game, but thoroughly outclassed Cameroon. That's a shame.
And the second half continues to deliver.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:51 PM   #426
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah that feels like too much of an attempt to manufacture the drama. Uruguay had 45 minutes to increase their goal difference to insure their progression to the knockouts.

Let's be honest. I would not put it pass Luis Suarez to fake a catastrophic knee injury for 25 minutes in order to make sure that Uruguay had extra time to see what was required to make it through.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #427
Edward64
Head Coach

So close to a real fight in the Switzerland Serbia game.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #428
MIJB#19
Coordinator

What a silly mistake to take off your shirt while already being booked, but Brazil going 1-0 down in a nothing to lose was never in doubt, was it? It would be nice for Switzerland to go for it now, 4-2 means winning the group now, while 3-3 keeps them in second place. Although 2-0 for Cameroon would also work in Swiss' favor (but not if it's 3-3 in the Swiss' match).

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 12-02-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #429
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
So close to a real fight in the Switzerland Serbia game.

An explainer for anyone unaware of the tensions between the two teams.

Qatar World Cup: Switzerland vs. Serbia Match Is Really All About Kosovo
Old 12-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #430
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. It's behind a paywall but was able to read the first couple paragraphs and got the idea. Runs deeper than just poor sportsmanship.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:11 PM   #431
Ksyrup

Interesting, thanks.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:58 AM   #432
MIJB#19
Coordinator

When all is said and done, Qatar will be ranked 32nd out the 32 teams of this year's finals tournament field, making Qatar by far the worst host nation in World Cup history.
Ranks of the teams knocked out in the first round: 17 Germany, 18 Ecuador, 19 Mexico, 20 Cameroon, 21 Uruguay, 22 Tunisia, 23 Belgium, 24 Ghana, 25 Saudi Arabia, 26 Iran, 27 Costa Rica, 28 Denmark, 29 Serbia, 30 Wales, 31 Canada, 32 Qatar.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:07 AM   #433
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Curiously, all 3 teams that were already qualified for the Round of 16 after their first two matches, which is only possible with 2 victories, lost their 3rd group match: France 1-0 vs Tunisia, Portugal 2-1 vs South Korea and Brazil 1-0 vs Cameroon. All three still won their group.

The only 2 teams knocked out after their first two matches, which is only possible with 2 losses, both also lost their final group match: Qatar 2-0 vs Netherlands and Canada 2-1 vs Morocco.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:41 AM   #434
PilotMan
Head Coach

Alright boyz....let's go!!!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #435
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Alright boyz....let's go!!!
Hype!!!!
Old 12-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #436
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gotta convert chances like that
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #437
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Gotta convert chances like that
So painfully close.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #438
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Well, at least we might see Reyna before the 85th minute.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:31 AM   #439
PilotMan
Head Coach

The opening tactics aren't going to cut it now with the Dutch content to play a lot of defense and counter. We'll need to keep playing aggressive.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #440
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

MMA Midfield looks exhausted and the Dutch are content to make any attack have to start with Ream or Zimmerman.

Pulisic has disappeared after the first 5 minutes.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:42 AM   #441
Ksyrup

The relative lack of finishing skill is apparent.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #442
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Game, set, and match
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #443
GrantDawg

That would be the match. I just don't see three goals coming from the US.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #444
bronconick
College Starter

See you in '26
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #445
Ksyrup

Man I called that. After that short, unsuccessful flurry in their box I told my daughter - this is where good teams turn it around and score before half. Sure enough...
Old 12-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #446
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Halftime needs wholesale changes unless we care about getting blown out. Reyna, Aaronson, LDLT and CCV for Ferreira, Musah, McKennie and Zimmerman.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #447
Critch
lolzcat

Fox coverage review:

Landon Donovan - talks a lot of sense, gives good insight.
Clint Dempsey - same, but sometimes seems like he needs a prod to actually say anything
Alexi Lalas - shut up! shut up! shut up!
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:00 AM   #448
RainMaker
General Manager

Ok now I know why Ferreira wasn't playing.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #449
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought being down 1-0 was not the worst place for the US to be. The Dutch were content to just sit back and play around. Sure, the US had to expend some energy but after that little flurry around the 15-25 minute mark, everyone was content to just let the US attack and they didn't have to defend much except for a couple of weak counters. Unfortunately, that all unraveled in the last few minutes

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #450
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Musah is exhausted and needs to be subbed.