Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2023, 11:20 AM   #101
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't get the basketball-only thing for the Big XII, but if you get anywhere near the same amount per school after adding the Four Corners, Yormark should probably do it to give strength in numbers and inventory.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #102
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is a crazy twist in the Alabama murder case. Miller provided the gun but hasn't been charged or kicked off the team. He's projected to be a top 5 pick by a lot of people.

Darius Miles asked Brandon Miller to bring gun used to kill Jamea Jonae Harris, police testify - al.com

If Alabama somehow is able to sweep this under the rug I will be impressed. The fact that Oats knew this all happened and the only reason anyone knows about it is because the trial started is insane. I can't believe the kid has been able to play as well as he had with all of this hanging over him.

There are mentions that he (Brandon Miller) and another Freshman teammate used their cars to block the Jeep that had the victim of the murder in it. This is just absolutely crazy, and even crazier are the internet message boards and reddit threads with Alabama fans throwing all logic out the window and thinking only in terms of basketball results. The average student in this situation would be expelled from school no questions asked and maybe let back in if they were lucky.

I understand the legality and Alabama's laws certainly are in Miller's favor, but at some point, you have to understand that what you did may not have been illegal (many are arguing it actually is) but you are very wrong. And allowing this type of culture at Alabama just further proves what that school and athletic department are all about.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #103
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Can't forget Nate Oats thought it was a great idea to bring Ray Lewis to consult on this situation.....it makes a whole lot more sense now that the bombshell of Miller (and another freshman) being involved.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:24 PM   #104
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't get the basketball-only thing for the Big XII, but if you get anywhere near the same amount per school after adding the Four Corners, Yormark should probably do it to give strength in numbers and inventory.

SI

I'm not crazy about it and would prefer it be all-sports (aside from football, obviously) if they do it. If they added something like Gonzaga, Villanova, St. John's, and say Georgetown or Depaul (or even Butler), it would add some new markets but I'm not sure how big of a share any of those schools have in those markets. The fear that I would have then is that, once it gets too big, there are going to be issues and it will probably break back apart.

I'm torn as a WVU fan. I think the four corners (or four corners plus Oregon/Washngton) would be great adds and seem like good institutional and cultural fits, but I would much rather see the conference go more eastern than western, but there are not any programs of that caliber that will be remotely available unless the Big Ten and SEC pick apart the ACC. It sounds like SMU and San Diego St are next on the pecking order if any one moves up and those both seem like awful options to me (as a WVU guy) and Memphis and Tulane are probably a step below them, but more eastern.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:30 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta tell the truth here: easy to raise an eyebrow at first about the Miller story, and then I realize: 20whatever years old? Any of my guys call me and say "bring my gun", I don't ask any questions & I bring the gun.

And did, more than once.

So how the fuck could I possible say shit about him doing the same?
Old 02-22-2023, 09:23 PM   #106
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The BigWhatever (10, 16, ??) should pick up whatever they want - Standford, Cal, whatever, and the Big XII just pick up the rest. But that's not going to happen. God forbid the sport actually try to retain some of the good from the past when every individual actor is just trying to pick apart everything for marginally more bucks.

Instead, the Four Corners probably go to the Big XII, Wazzu and Oregon State get left out, Oregon/Washington either go to the Big10 and Stanford/Cal get left out or Oregon/Washington go elsewhere and Stanford/Cal go to the Big10. Or maybe there's a zombie Pac-10 that includes the remaining members, San Diego State, SMU, Fresno St(?), Boise St (?), etc. Oregon and Washington are gone either now or they rule the zombie league until everything fractures in the early 2030s.

SI

Houston, Cincy and UCF already are joining the Big 12 in 2023.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm not crazy about it and would prefer it be all-sports (aside from football, obviously) if they do it. If they added something like Gonzaga, Villanova, St. John's, and say Georgetown or Depaul (or even Butler), it would add some new markets but I'm not sure how big of a share any of those schools have in those markets. The fear that I would have then is that, once it gets too big, there are going to be issues and it will probably break back apart.

I'm torn as a WVU fan. I think the four corners (or four corners plus Oregon/Washngton) would be great adds and seem like good institutional and cultural fits, but I would much rather see the conference go more eastern than western, but there are not any programs of that caliber that will be remotely available unless the Big Ten and SEC pick apart the ACC. It sounds like SMU and San Diego St are next on the pecking order if any one moves up and those both seem like awful options to me (as a WVU guy) and Memphis and Tulane are probably a step below them, but more eastern.

If the Big XII can snag the Four Corners, I would be good-ish with a conference that looked something like this in 5ish years when the ACC gets picked apart:

BYU/Utah/Ariz/ASU/NMex?
OSU/KSU/Kansas/ISU/Colo
Baylor/TTech/TCU/Hou/SMU?
WVU/Cincy/Memphis/Pitt/Louisville?

There's a set of groups that are basically: western, former Big 8, former SWC, and former Big East footprints.

Of course, Central Florida is going to be in the conference, too. I think there's a place for a UCF/USF up-and-coming rivalry but I'm not sure it's in this conference. If that has to happen, then maybe shove Tech out west, put USF/UCF in with the other Texas schools (instead of inviting New Mexico and SMU).

SI

Old 02-22-2023, 10:08 PM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Houston, Cincy and UCF already are joining the Big 12 in 2023.

Sure, but I don't think moves are done yet. I don't think Washington and Oregon are going to get what they want out of a PAC TV contract and if they do, it will almost certainly have to be by extracting it from the other members, ala how UT and OU did with the Big XII. Only, the Four Corners don't take that deal and probably have a life raft in the Big XII. So then the PAC crumbles.

If they do find peace with their TV deal and add some combination of San Diego St, SMU, Boise State, Fresno St, etc - it's going to be short term. Once the ACC contract is on the horizon in 2035, say, in 2031, this starts all over again as the Big Ten and SEC start looking to expand and pick up North Carolina, Virginia, Florida State, Clemson, etc.

And, in theory, this is all a prelude to major college football breaking away from the NCAA and who knows what happens then. But they're going to try in about a decade.

SI

Old 02-22-2023, 10:09 PM   #109
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sure, but I don't think moves are done yet. I don't think Washington and Oregon are going to get what they want out of a PAC TV contract and if they do, it will almost certainly have to be by extracting it from the other members, ala how UT and OU did with the Big XII. Only, the Four Corners don't take that deal and probably have a life raft in the Big XII. So then the PAC crumbles.

If they do find peace with their TV deal and add some combination of San Diego St, SMU, Boise State, Fresno St, etc - it's going to be short term. Once the ACC contract is on the horizon in 2035, say, in 2031, this starts all over again as the Big Ten and SEC start looking to expand and pick up North Carolina, Virginia, Florida State, Clemson, etc.

And, in theory, this is all a prelude to major college football breaking away from the NCAA and who knows what happens then. But they're going to try in about a decade.

SI

Yup
Old 02-22-2023, 10:43 PM   #110
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
If the Big XII can snag the Four Corners, I would be good-ish with a conference that looked something like this in 5ish years when the ACC gets picked apart:

BYU/Utah/Ariz/ASU/NMex?
OSU/KSU/Kansas/ISU/Colo
Baylor/TTech/TCU/Hou/SMU?
WVU/Cincy/Memphis/Pitt/Louisville?

There's a set of groups that are basically: western, former Big 8, former SWC, and former Big East footprints.

Of course, Central Florida is going to be in the conference, too. I think there's a place for a UCF/USF up-and-coming rivalry but I'm not sure it's in this conference. If that has to happen, then maybe shove Tech out west, put USF/UCF in with the other Texas schools (instead of inviting New Mexico and SMU).

SI

If you sub out Memphis for Virginia Tech, that would be fantastic for WVU.

With the ACC, it will be really interesting to see what programs are most valued. Florida St and Clemson seem like the biggest football and TV prizes, but I feel like UNC and UVA would bring entirely new states to the SEC or Big Ten and have the kind of academic profiles that fellow institutions respect. Clemson and FSU are also redundant for the SEC.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:58 PM   #111
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
If you sub out Memphis for Virginia Tech, that would be fantastic for WVU.

With the ACC, it will be really interesting to see what programs are most valued. Florida St and Clemson seem like the biggest football and TV prizes, but I feel like UNC and UVA would bring entirely new states to the SEC or Big Ten and have the kind of academic profiles that fellow institutions respect. Clemson and FSU are also redundant for the SEC.

I think the Big Ten already has a contract written up for North Carolina and Virginia, so long as they don't screw it up over the next 10 years. Cultural and academic fit. Not big name brands but get into some decent sized markets.

I don't know what comes of Clemson or FSU - I bet they think they're SEC bound but, again, as you said, redundant. Maybe the Big Ten creates a 4 team pod with those 2 and UNC and UVA? Or 6 teams with Maryland and Rutgers? Not sure. Then again, I think the SEC may also want UNC and UVA so there might be a bit of a bidding war there. No idea how all this plays out or how big the Big Ten and SEC want to get .

SI

Old 02-23-2023, 06:29 AM   #112
JPhillips
General Manager

Academically UNC and UVa are much better fits in the Big Ten.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:21 AM   #113
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Academically UNC and UVa are much better fits in the Big Ten.

Those two and Georgia Tech seem like slam dunks for the Big Ten. AAU schools in untapped states that each have large media markets and could form a nice eastern seaboard pod with Maryland. I believe Duke and Pitt are also AAU, but those two seem like they would fit less well being private/semi-private schools and in redundant markets (if UNC jumps).

Plus, it seems up in the air whether Duke without Coach K. is a basketball powerhouse. I read an article about maintaining basketball blue bloods once their legendary coaches retire. UCLA, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas have been able to win titles without theirs, but a lot of folks don't even consider Indiana one any longer (UConn, Arizona, and Syracuse were mentioned, as well - sort of to be determined).
Old 02-23-2023, 07:46 AM   #114
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, public AAU schools are the backbone of the Big Ten and they have the money to entice anyone they want at this point.

Tech is interesting because of its history in the SEC, but I'm not sure it brings much media coverage that isn't already a part of the SEC.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #115
bob
College Starter

There is 0 chance that UGA would allow GT back into the SEC. The board of regents (filled with UGA grads) routinely fucks over GT as a school - no way they would help their athletics.

GT should have pursued the Big 10 when the Big 10 reached out (back in 2012 I think). One of the dumbest decisions they ever made, especially given how the ACC office treats them.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #116
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gotta tell the truth here: easy to raise an eyebrow at first about the Miller story, and then I realize: 20whatever years old? Any of my guys call me and say "bring my gun", I don't ask any questions & I bring the gun.

And did, more than once.

So how the fuck could I possible say shit about him doing the same?

Look at Jon flexing his gansta youth street cred.

I am kind of confused at some of the wording being used in this case if the reports are accurate. First.

Quote:
On Tuesday, Tuscaloosa Detective Branden Culpepper testified that Miller brought now-former teammate Darius Miles' gun to him on the night of the shooting death of 23-year-old Jamea Jonae Harris, after Miles asked him to do so via text message.

Miller has also said that this happened but that he was already on his way to pick Miles up when the text message arrived. It does not mention anything about Miller going to get the gun from somewhere else so the gun had to already in the car. Miller's lawyer added the following.

Quote:
According to Standridge, Miller was already on his way to pick up Miles when Miles texted him to bring him his gun on the night of the shooting. Standridge wrote that Miller never saw Miles' handgun and that it was "concealed under some clothing in the back seat" of Miller's car. He added that Miller never touched the gun or was involved in its exchange to Davis, the alleged shooter.

So did he actually bring the gun to Miles or did he go to pick up Miles in a car that happened to also have Miles' gun inside of it? If it is the latter, then it makes completely sense for Alabama to allow him to continue playing even if they probably lucked into the decision.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:23 AM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Look at Jon flexing his gansta youth street cred.

Nah, we were just all routinely armed. My friends at that age were almost entirely military/ex-military guys, I was the only civilian in the bunch. And now & again situations arose where somebody felt like they wanted something that mighta been at home for some reason.

Remember my age too. I grew up with weapons in the gunrack of half the trucks on high school campus. People with a gun within reach simply wasn't considered any big deal.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #118
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I don't know what comes of Clemson or FSU - I bet they think they're SEC bound but, again, as you said, redundant. Maybe the Big Ten creates a 4 team pod with those 2 and UNC and UVA? Or 6 teams with Maryland and Rutgers? Not sure. Then again, I think the SEC may also want UNC and UVA so there might be a bit of a bidding war there. No idea how all this plays out or how big the Big Ten and SEC want to get .

SI

Some commentary straight from FSU today about the issue and how the revenue disparity is untenable.

I'm sure people scoff at FSU's strength of brand, but the numbers support what's in this article, that FSU generates 15% of ACC revenue but only recoups 7%.

Florida State A.D. Michael Alford sounds off on ACC revenues

And given the fact that the past 6+ years, FSU football has at best been mediocre and at worst a dumpster fire (until 2022), this chart speaks volumes as to the brand's strength even during an historic downturn:

I have no idea what FSU will (or realistically can) do, but it sure seems like if there are any avenues to fix the disparity, they are going to aggressively pursue them.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:25 PM   #119
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some "take it for what it is worth" gossip from a WVU insider who is occasionally right and occasionally way off:

He says that the ACC and P12 had been in talks with ESPN about a merger, but ESPN said no to pro rata for all 10 teams. Still a small possibility that some P12 teams end up could end up in the ACC, but would require a grant of rights (Washington and Oregon are not interested in that if the Big Ten eventually comes calling). Teams like Stanford and Cal would prefer to be affiliated with Duke, UVA, and UNC rather than the Big 12, but they also don't want the cross country travel.

He also says that Big 12 commissioner Yormark really wants to have west coast content and is working to get 2-4 more teams in that timezone so the conference can span all four timezones for kickoffs.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:54 PM   #120
Atocep
Coordinator

I went to the UW/Wazzu game last night and is there a coach that's fallen as far as quickly as Mike Hopkins?

I'm guessing he's fired after this season. With the amount of talent the Seattle area produces in basketball there's no reason for them to not be a top PAC12 team every year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:58 PM   #121
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats to Kennesaw State. Quite a turnaround. Be nice if they won a game or two.

Quote:
KENNESAW, Ga. -- Terrell Burden scored 19 points and made a free throw with less than a second left to rally Kennesaw State to a 67-66 victory over Liberty on Sunday, earning the Owls their first Atlantic Sun Conference championship and their first trip to the NCAA tournament.

It is a remarkable turnaround for Kennesaw State under fourth-year coach Amir Abdur-Rahim. The Owls finished with a 1-28 record in 2019-20 -- Burden's freshman season and the first under Abdur-Rahim. They went 5-19 in Abdur-Rahim's second season and 13-18 last year. Now the Owls will bring a school record 26-8 mark to their first Big Dance.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #122
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I went to the UW/Wazzu game last night and is there a coach that's fallen as far as quickly as Mike Hopkins?

I'm guessing he's fired after this season. With the amount of talent the Seattle area produces in basketball there's no reason for them to not be a top PAC12 team every year.

I wasn’t a fan when they fired Romar. He had his struggles in game but he brought in a ton of talent and we were competitive. Hopkins isn’t the guy. Syracuse dodged a bullet.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:20 PM   #123
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wasn’t a fan when they fired Romar. He had his struggles in game but he brought in a ton of talent and we were competitive. Hopkins isn’t the guy. Syracuse dodged a bullet.

He's still running the same stuff that Syracuse was running when he was there and hasn't adapted much of anything to the way the game is played now. Kyle Smith is a hell of a coach at Wazzu and they actually run a modern offense and sets, which really stood out when watching UW trying to play like it's 2005.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-06-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:05 PM   #124
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Boeheim retired. All I saw was the breaking news, but my boss watched the press conference after the game and said it was weird/awkward, that he said it was up to the school. A couple hours later he announces his retirement. I guess we know how that went down.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:14 PM   #125
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Boeheim retired. All I saw was the breaking news, but my boss watched the press conference after the game and said it was weird/awkward, that he said it was up to the school. A couple hours later he announces his retirement. I guess we know how that went down.

He's basically held the school hostage and is a great example of why no coach should be considered unfireable.

Anyways, he's an asshole. This is the ending he deserves.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:37 PM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Patrick Ewing out.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:21 AM   #127
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
He's basically held the school hostage and is a great example of why no coach should be considered unfireable.

Anyways, he's an asshole. This is the ending he deserves.

The end of Boeheim's career is tragic and makes me understand and respect Jay Wright's decision to leave when he did even more. Boeheim probably should have left when Syracuse moved to the ACC. He did make the Final Four twice during that time but it was clear that the game had moved in a direction he never wanted to be a part of. At the end, he just came off as a guy who was just staying in a job long enough to qualify for his pension.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-11-2023, 07:04 PM   #128
miami_fan
Coordinator

Were the Jayhawks that good to be considered an overall #1 seed despite this loss?
Old 03-11-2023, 07:12 PM   #129
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The end of Boeheim's career is tragic and makes me understand and respect Jay Wright's decision to leave when he did even more. Boeheim probably should have left when Syracuse moved to the ACC. He did make the Final Four twice during that time but it was clear that the game had moved in a direction he never wanted to be a part of. At the end, he just came off as a guy who was just staying in a job long enough to qualify for his pension.

Definitely

It's clear he wanted to coach his sons but he refused to do anything to really adapt as the game and the sport evolved. A lot of older coaches are getting caught wanting to run the same stuff that worked 15 years ago, but doesn't really work now.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Were the Jayhawks that good to be considered an overall #1 seed despite this loss?

I don't know what the committee is going to do. But KU had 17 quad 1 wins in 34 games. Literally half of their games were quad 1 wins. All 6 losses - quad 1.

Quad 1 records of other potential #1 seeds:
Kansas: 17-6
Alabama: 12-5
Purdue 9-4
Houston: 7-1 (with a Quad 3 loss)
UCLA: 8-5 (no longer in the running with the loss last night)
Texas: 14-8
Gonzaga: 6-3
Arizona: 9-2
Marquette: 7-5

Kansas went 27-7, but if you had any of those other teams roll with 24 (!) quad 1 games on their schedule, how many do you think they win/lose?

As for their last two losses. Honestly, they had nothing to play for in Austin last week - they had already wrapped up the conference title. And, in the conference tourney, they were missing one of their starters on a really shallow team (they goes 7 deep, at best) and Self. Not excusing either away, but there are reasons why their best foot wasn't forward.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-12-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:05 PM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That said, while I think they have the best resume, I don't think Kansas is good enough to win and feels like an Elite Eight loss level team.

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #132
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
That said, while I think they have the best resume, I don't think Kansas is good enough to win and feels like an Elite Eight loss level team.

SI

I agree. Think their resume is the one that stands out the most although I don't think they're the best team.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #133
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree. Think their resume is the one that stands out the most although I don't think they're the best team.

Agreed.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:28 PM   #134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I will say that, with regards to both the NCAA tournament and a potential college football playoffs, whoever has the best resume should be in and get the the highest seed, eye test be damned (yes, I realize there's some issues with that in football due to a complete lack of common opponents). You earned it, you deserve it, even if you may not live up to it. You should be rewarded for the work you do, not for some bs perception that there's no realistic way to back up objectively.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-12-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:54 PM   #135
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I will say that, with regards to both the NCAA tournament and a potential college football playoffs, whoever has the best resume should be in and get the the highest seed, eye test be damned (yes, I realize there's some issues with that in football due to a complete lack of common opponents). You earned it, you deserve it, even if you may not live up to it. You should be rewarded for the work you do, not for some bs perception that there's no realistic way to back up objectively.

SI

Agreed and I get the argument KU is 17-7 with Q 1s and someone like Houston is 8-1 Quad 1 wins with a Q3 loss early in the season. But KU is 9 in Net rating UH is 1 and Bama is 2. Also UH is 1 and Bama 3 in Ken Pom KU is 9. So when you go with a quantitive data analysis for this stuff there are always data sets to make the arguments. That being said now the UH’s star player is injured and will probably be play8 g hurt they are not a strong contender ,ore like a 3 seed. I think it comes to you guys and Bama in the end.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed and I get the argument KU is 17-7 with Q 1s and someone like Houston is 8-1 Quad 1 wins with a Q3 loss early in the season. But KU is 9 in Net rating UH is 1 and Bama is 2. Also UH is 1 and Bama 3 in Ken Pom KU is 9. So when you go with a quantitive data analysis for this stuff there are always data sets to make the arguments. That being said now the UH’s star player is injured and will probably be play8 g hurt they are not a strong contender ,ore like a 3 seed. I think it comes to you guys and Bama in the end.

I think Bama probably gets the #1 overall seed, but I'm ok with that so long as they don't landmine our bracket with underseeded teams (they usually screw the 4th #1 with that) and we can play in KC. I still don't think we win it all but it's our best path. Also, if we can dodge Arkansas or Memphis as our 8/9, that'd be great. Thanks!

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 05:01 PM   #137
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Also, I can't wait for the "Bill Self chokes in March" starts back up when it's really that this team has drastically overachieved for the talent on the team (again).

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 05:06 PM   #138
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still don't get these announcement show look-ins. If you won your tourney, you know you're in. Why are you excited now? WOOO HELLS YEAH WE GOT A 15 SEED RAAAARRRRRRRR!!! I mean, come on.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #139
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I still don't get these announcement show look-ins. If you won your tourney, you know you're in. Why are you excited now? WOOO HELLS YEAH WE GOT A 15 SEED RAAAARRRRRRRR!!! I mean, come on.

I've watched these for years and I also am baffled by this. Like, hey, we already know Kansas and Kansas State are in, for instance. They're just here to see how the bracket shakes out.

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 05:24 PM   #140
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Bama probably gets the #1 overall seed, but I'm ok with that so long as they don't landmine our bracket with underseeded teams (they usually screw the 4th #1 with that) and we can play in KC. I still don't think we win it all but it's our best path. Also, if we can dodge Arkansas or Memphis as our 8/9, that'd be great. Thanks!

SI

That draw for KU isn't necessarily ideal.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:27 PM   #141
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Potentially Arkansas, UConn, and then either UCLA or Gonzaga out west

/chuckles/ I'm in danger.

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #142
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs get IL. Don't really know if that is good or bad but I'll take the invite.

TBH, we sucked at the end of the season.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:01 PM   #143
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You have NBA dudes on your team, tho. Not interested in that for our 8/9 team. I think there's a decent chance we go home on Saturday.

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 07:29 PM   #144
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

North Carolina declines NIT invite after becoming first preseason No. 1 team to miss NCAA Tournament - CBSSports.com

SI

Old 03-12-2023, 07:57 PM   #145
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Same. Give me 12 teams on the bubble and let me watch some cheer and some be sad.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:32 PM   #146
Edward64
Head Coach

Uh oh. If we get past IL, we have #1 Kansas.

Probably won't Sweet 16 this year.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:36 PM   #147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I feel like UCLA should have been a 1 seed and I am really bummed Rutgers got left out.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:30 PM   #148
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I feel like UCLA should have been a 1 seed and I am really bummed Rutgers got left out.

Apparently the selection committee is familiar with the RU Screw.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:47 AM   #149
miked
College Starter

RU got jobbed. Wins over Purdue, Indiana, Penn State and several others. Of course, a really bad loss to Minnesota down the stretch that killed us. The selection committee apparently said we were overlooked because of an injury that would make us less formidable. How about you let us play and decide it. At least we get to watch like 5 mountain west teams compete...
Old 03-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #150
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I look at it in a completely opposite way. The day that the 15 seeds (Princeton, Colgate, Vermont, UNC-Ashville) are too good to get excited about hearing their name announced on the selection show is the day they should have the eligibility for the tournament proper revoked. It should not be ho hum for schools at that level to hear their names announced as a tournament team even they were automatic qualifiers two weeks ago.