Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #901
Atocep
Coordinator

The Wilpon era is officially over.

Hopefully the rumors of Cohen immediately looking to expand the analytics department and overhaul scouting and player development are true.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #902
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is exactly what I was talking about.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #903
MrBug708
Head Coach

Elm-E9fa-Wk-Ag-MAw-E

Last edited by MrBug708 : 10-30-2020 at 06:06 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #904
JPhillips
General Manager

Damn. There are a total of 6 qualifying offers for all of MLB.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #905
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And a lot of declined options

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #906
JPhillips
General Manager

This is good trivia.

What MLB player has hit the most HRs during the term(s) of a single president?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #907
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is good trivia.

What MLB player has hit the most HRs during the term(s) of a single president?

Bonds?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #908
JPhillips
General Manager

Nope.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #909
Atocep
Coordinator

My guess would be ARod over the Bush administration.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #910
JPhillips
General Manager

We have a winner!

Trump: Trout 134
Obama: Pujols 272
W Bush: A-Rod 364
Clinton: Griffey 351
HW Bush: McGriff 137
Reagan: Schmidt 259
Carter: Schmidt 152
Ford: Schmidt 87
Nixon: Aaron 218
Johnson: Mays 181
Kennedy: Killebrew 139
Eisenhower: Mathews 313
Truman: Kiner 294
FDR: Foxx 353
Hoover: Ruth 182
Coolidge: Ruth 289
Harding: Ruth 119
Wilson: G Cravath 106
Taft: F Schulte 47
Roosevelt: H Davis 59
McKinley: B Freeman 46
Cleveland (both): S Thompson 85
Harrison: H Stovey 51
Old 11-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #911
Atocep
Coordinator

Jimmie Foxx during FDR's 3 terms came to mind after I posted that and I started to doubt ARod was the answer.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #912
cuervo72
Head Coach

My first inclination is to think it would be someone from '33-'45 (FDR) just based on years, but I'm not sure who that encompasses that well other than maybe Jimmie Foxx. But he might have petered out too fast, I dunno.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #913
cuervo72
Head Coach

(Bah, way too slow.)
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #914
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Dodgers let two Cy Young candidates walk in the offseason. A third they let walk from a couple years ago in the NL.

I am irrationally mad that David Ross is a Manager of the Year candidate.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #915
miami_fan
Coordinator

I saw some of the results on ESPN's home page but had not realized they actually had a show. Pretty weird decision to have the show end up being a news dump. Might as well had put it on the MLB network.

MLB announcing Gold Glove winners during U.S. election coverage didn't go well
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #916
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nope, it was really stupid

Alex Gordon picked up one more in his in final year to give him 8 (and a platinum glove)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-04-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #917
PilotMan
Head Coach

Cora back in Boston after that incredibly painful suspension. /s

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #918
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was basically like Coach K and his back surgery. Miss a bunch of games when you were going to suck
Old 11-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #919
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Mets cleaned house. That happened quickly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #920
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

But Sandy gets to stay. I'm happy about that.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #921
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I like what BVW did with the draft, but overall he was dogshit as a GM. The Cano trade will haunt the team for a decade.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #922
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true

Huh, I wonder how that could have happened

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #923
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Access Denied

Huh, I wonder how that could have happened

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Most of the people werent part of the bubble so there is that. The one who was was likely positive was Turner but he wouldnt be part of the LA County release. So someone back in LA getting COVID has very little to do with Turner on the field in Arlington

Definitely one of the bigger non-stories of baseball, but I'm stunned that the news would lead with a clickbait article headline. MLB is probably low-key happy that Turner came out of the lockerroom or they'd be actual pressure MLB on how COVID actually got into the bubble.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-08-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #924
Ksyrup

So let me get this straight... the White Sox hired La Russia knowing full well he had been charged with another DUI the day before?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #925
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So let me get this straight... the White Sox hired La Russia knowing full well he had been charged with another DUI the day before?

And lemme get this straight. He was charged in late October for a DUI arrest in February?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #926
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And lemme get this straight. He was charged in late October for a DUI arrest in February?

Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa charged with DUI stemming from February arrest, court docs show

Quote:
La Russa refused to submit to a breath test or provide a sample of his blood or urine to test his blood-alcohol level, according to the affidavit, and the officer obtained a search warrant to take two tubes of La Russa's blood. That is a common procedure for DUI cases in Arizona, said Michael Munoz, a Phoenix-area DUI criminal defense attorney who is not affiliated with the case. Munoz also said it was not uncommon for charges not to be filed in cases for several months due to slowdowns caused by the coronavirus pandemic; however, other law enforcement sources in Arizona told ESPN the delay seemed excessive.

Also

Quote:
A spokesman with the Maricopa County Attorney's Office told ESPN she was unable to comment on a pending case but said: "Charges were submitted to our office by the Arizona Department of Public Safety for DUI," and there was a delay caused by initially filing it in the wrong jurisdiction.

The cynic in me thinks that they were going to sweep this one under the carpet, word got out that LaRussa was getting the job with the White Sox, then a call was made to Maricopa County regarding what happened with the initial arrest.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #927
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just fire La Russa already. His juice is not worth the squeeze.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #928
Atocep
Coordinator

After watching the Cohen/Alderson presser yesterday Marcus Stroman decides to accept the Mets qualifying offer.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #929
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yo, I did not see the updated story about LaRussa. If what the officer is saying is true, the officer needs to be front and center in all the police training videos about professionalism. Full credit to him/her. There is so much goodness in this article.

Tony La Russa, appearing incoherent during arrest, said 'I'm a Hall of Famer' to officer

Quote:
When the officer asked for identification, according to the report, La Russa continued instead to talk on the phone to a AAA representative. The officer repeated the command, and La Russa tossed cash and cards onto the passenger's seat but did not furnish a driver's license. The officer asked him to hang up his phone and provide the license.

Quote:
When the officer discussed administering a portable breath test, La Russa said: "I don't trust it."

According to the report, La Russa then asked: "What makes you think I don't have control of my facilities?"

He agreed to take the breath test "if it gets me out of here," according to the report. The test registered a BAC of .090.

The officer placed La Russa under arrest for DUI. When read his Miranda rights, La Russa said: "I don't know my rights because you told me once I blow into that thing we'd be done,"

Quote:
Before the arresting officer placed him in a vehicle, La Russa said: "Do you see my ring?" When asked what he meant, La Russa answered: "I'm a Hall of Famer baseball person." He continued: "I'm legit. I'm a Hall of Famer, brother. You're trying to embarrass me."

Quote:
"I will not comply with your tests," La Russa said, according to the report. "I don't trust it, brother."

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-11-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #930
PilotMan
Head Coach

Go Bauer! He totally deserved it. He was nothing short of a top notch stud this year.

Like Steam?

Old 11-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #931
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: La Russa -- has anyone ever been quoted using "brother" more other than Hulk Hogan?
Old 11-11-2020, 08:03 PM   #932
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
re: La Russa -- has anyone ever been quoted using "brother" more other than Hulk Hogan?

What better?

A reenactment of this incident using Tony Larussa's likeness with Hulk Hogan's voice or Hogan's likeness with Larussa's voice?
Old 11-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #933
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Go Bauer! He totally deserved it. He was nothing short of a top notch stud this year.

There might be something to that whole Driveline Baseball thing.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #934
JPhillips
General Manager

Boddy and Driveline is the best FA signing in Reds history.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #935
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Boddy and Driveline is the best FA signing in Reds history.

Their facility is about 30 minutes from our house and my son started training there a couple of months ago. The technology they use in training is phenomenal. They're doing things no one else in the country is doing. It's also cool for the college guys to go into the facility and see the record board littered with pro guys names.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #936
miami_fan
Coordinator

Miami Marlins hire Kim Ng as MLB's first female general manager
Old 11-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #937
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am listening to The Edge: Houston Astros podcast series. It is a pretty good insights into the Astros cheating scandal and the organization overall. 3 episodes in, I have one takeaway.

Is Carlos Beltran going to be the only person "cancelled" by this scandal?
Old 11-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #938
PilotMan
Head Coach

Lasorda is in the hospital. He's 93, is in the ICU. So glad he got to see them win it this year. So glad.

Like Steam?

Old 11-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #939
miami_fan
Coordinator

From the Red Sox to the Cubs to... the Mets?

Chicago Cubs championship architect Theo Epstein steps down
Old 11-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #940
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola,

Yes I saw this part

Quote:
"plan on having a third chapter leading a baseball organization someday, though I do not expect it to be next year."

I also remember this part from Daryl Morey's resigning press conference.

Quote:
Morey isn't ruling out a future return to the NBA on the team side, but he has become increasingly determined to explore what else might interest him professionally, sources said. Morey also saw an opportunity to spend time with his two college-age children, who are each taking a gap year academically during the coronavirus pandemic.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #941
Swaggs
Coordinator

How long does he have to be away to be considered for the Hall of Fame? I don't know the exact criteria for executives, but if you break the Red Sox and Cubs' streaks, you are a first ballot selection in my book. Still only 46 years old, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #942
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Turning around the Mets may be a greater challenge than the Red Sox and Cubs... but now we have Cohen money, so maybe not.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #943
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tank while they recoup their investment in the first few years. Then build a juggernaut with the tanking assets and the freed up money

SI

Old 11-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #944
Ksyrup

Robinson Cano tests positive for PEDs, suspended the entire year. STOP THE TESTING!
Old 11-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #945
Atocep
Coordinator

Even with the Wilpons gone you can't take the Met out of the Mets.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #946
stevew
Hall Of Famer

DJ LeMahieu has to win because of this news.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #947
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Dola,

Yes I saw this part

I also remember this part from Daryl Morey's resigning press conference.
Epstein legitimately ran a charity for the 1-2 after his Red Sox stint despite multiple GM offers.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #948
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Turning around the Mets may be a greater challenge than the Red Sox and Cubs... but now we have Cohen money, so maybe not.

Cleveland seems set with their duo atop baseball operations, but I'd love to see Epstein tackle the Indians as the third act of his trilogy.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #949
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Let him come build a winner in Pittsburgh and he’ll be a god forever
Old 11-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #950
miami_fan
Coordinator

I want more sword trophies like the one they handed out in the Korean Baseball Organization.