Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #1651
RainMaker
General Manager

Dumb question but are there any episodes that don't have a bunch of gratuitous sex in it? Reason I ask is I'll be staying with my Mom for a week after she has a surgery. Will be looking for something to watch with her but don't want that moment where some guy is eating a girls ass in the middle of an episode.

Black Mirror is great but they do tend to throw in some gratuitous stuff just because they can.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #1652
RainMaker
General Manager

Ok Bright wasn't good but it also wasn't bad. Maybe it was because I had a few drinks in me but it definitely wasn't "worst movie of the year" nonsense that reviewers had touted it as.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:21 AM   #1653
korme
Go Reds

The Meyerowitz Stories was some fantastic stuff from Noah Baumbach. Best Sandler movie I've seen in a decade for sure, also a great job by Dustin Hoffman. Stiller was good as well. Baumbach always just does a great job of relating to familial struggles to me.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #1654
sabotai
General Manager

Altered Carbon
release date February 2nd

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #1655
Critch
lolzcat

The Good Place is a whole lot better than I expected it would be. Not brilliant, but good to race through.

Last edited by Critch : 01-11-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #1656
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I do think the Good Place borders on brilliant....I think I give it bonus points for being so wholly original a concept, in this era of superhero sequels and law and order: animal control.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #1657
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Good Place is one of the best comedies to come around in years.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #1658
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

This is an Amazon Prime show but it seems like the thread has kind of become Netflix, Hulu, Prime...

Electric Dreams has been solid. Now two disclaimers I am a huge Phillip Dick fan (so much so that I dislike the movie Blade Runner as it strays from the source material ) and I am only two episodes in (the top two ranked as well) but it definitely has a Phillip Dick vibe along with a less out there Black Mirror feel. I love Black Mirror also so this isn't a rip on that just another enjoyable 10 episode series if you like that sort of stuff. I felt like by going with ten separate stories they didn't hit the Man in the High Castle problem of dragging on a 200 hundred page book over multiple seasons. The episode The Commuter really made me think about life and family a lot more than tv shows have recently. Would put it up there with Black Mirror's San Junipero. Worth a look...

On a side note my Amazon ads have me really interested in Counterpart but it apparently requires a subscription to STARZ. I was a HUGE fan of Rubicon so if anyone has watched Counterpart and has any positive opinions I may shell out the monthly subscription to watch.

Last edited by panerd : 01-22-2018 at 07:10 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #1659
sabotai
General Manager

(Amazon Prime)

Mr. Robot season 1-2: 9/10

Love this show. Just spent the last 2 weeks or so watching through it and just binged the second half of season 2 today. Lots of twists. I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw on of the big ones in season 1 coming a mile away. In fact, I told myself I'd be done with the show at the end of episode 1 or 2 if it went that way....it did, but I stuck with it because they added a few more on top that surprised me. And the big-ish twist in season 2, never saw it coming. Not even a little.

Season 3 is still rent or buy, not included with Prime. Usually I don't care. Plenty of other shows and movies. But I loved this show, so I'm really tempted.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:40 AM   #1660
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Altered Carbon
release date February 2nd

Watched this one, liked it a lot. It does have it's share of nudity and violence in it, so I wouldn't recommend watching it with Rainmaker's mom, but I thought it hit on some intriguing questions of what it means for humanity if you could transfer your consciousness to the cloud and live eternally.
Spoiler
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #1661
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Finished Altered Carbon. Really, really liked it. Enjoyed the second half (or at least the last 3-4 episodes) immensely. A lot of the confusing elements of the first half of the season get explained a bit. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #1662
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
(Amazon Prime)

Mr. Robot season 1-2: 9/10

Love this show. Just spent the last 2 weeks or so watching through it and just binged the second half of season 2 today. Lots of twists. I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw on of the big ones in season 1 coming a mile away. In fact, I told myself I'd be done with the show at the end of episode 1 or 2 if it went that way....it did, but I stuck with it because they added a few more on top that surprised me. And the big-ish twist in season 2, never saw it coming. Not even a little.

Season 3 is still rent or buy, not included with Prime. Usually I don't care. Plenty of other shows and movies. But I loved this show, so I'm really tempted.

If you loved the first two seasons, you should like season 3. I didn't love season 2, but season 3 got me back on board well enough.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #1663
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
...On a side note my Amazon ads have me really interested in Counterpart but it apparently requires a subscription to STARZ. I was a HUGE fan of Rubicon so if anyone has watched Counterpart and has any positive opinions I may shell out the monthly subscription to watch.

Counterpart has been pretty good so far. If you enjoyed Rubicon I think you’ll like it too.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #1664
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoyed Rubicon as well, but what is it's relation to Counterpart?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #1665
Critch
lolzcat

"The End of the F***ing World" is worth watching.

British dark comedy about a couple of teens who run away from home together, her because she wants to rebel against her family and him because he's a budding psychopath who wants to get her somewhere quiet to kill her.

I've not watched the full season yet, so it could all still be spoiled by a terrible ending, but so far two thumbs up.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #1666
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

British dark comedy about a couple of teens who run away from home together, her because she wants to rebel against her family and him because he's a budding psychopath who wants to get her somewhere quiet to kill her.

I've not watched the full season yet, so it could all still be spoiled by a terrible ending, but so far two thumbs up.

It's great.

I enjoyed the first three episodes and by the fourth one, I was totally hooked, and watched the rest in one sitting. So, if anything, it gets better and stronger as it goes.

I also finished Altered Carbon the other day. I liked it well enough. I do love cyberpunk settings. I read the book ages ago and only have a pretty foggy memory of anything but the basic plot and concepts.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #1667
RainMaker
General Manager

I've heard great things about The End of the Fucking World so that's next on my list.

Halfway through Altered Carbon. I like it. Does get a little tropey at times and the dialogue could use some work, but it's a real interesting concept.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #1668
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Yes! Really enjoyed it. On a slight aside, I'm pretty liberal, but sometimes I get what people say about far left social justice types - I was talking about this show with some folks and they were appalled at it because they saw a trailer and saw the guy wanted to kill the girl and then the girl saying "I think I love you" and were convinced it was making palatable or humorous violence against women. Even my protestations to the counter were ignored (partially because I was a man who didn't understand).

Anyways, if anyone has that view, just watch it. Though it does have quite a bit of blood, so beware that if you get squeamish.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #1669
Landshark44
High School Varsity

started a show called "Imposters" and thought it was very entertaining.. watched four episodes last night....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #1670
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yes! Really enjoyed it. On a slight aside, I'm pretty liberal, but sometimes I get what people say about far left social justice types - I was talking about this show with some folks and they were appalled at it because they saw a trailer and saw the guy wanted to kill the girl and then the girl saying "I think I love you" and were convinced it was making palatable or humorous violence against women. Even my protestations to the counter were ignored (partially because I was a man who didn't understand).

Anyways, if anyone has that view, just watch it. Though it does have quite a bit of blood, so beware that if you get squeamish.

Wow. I guess you should have just said "He thinks he is a serial killer and isolated himself. This girl walked up to him and talked him into hanging out. An opportunity presented itself. He wanted to act out his murder desire. Could have been the mailman."

I liked it okay. I was a little disappointed by the turn it took after the scene in the house. I was hoping they would go on a spree. But I liked Dexter and other serial killer movies and shows.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #1671
PilotMan
Head Coach

Chris Rock and Patton Oswalt's comedy specials are the best they've put out so far.

Like Steam?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #1672
tarcone
Coordinator

You want another good comedy special, watch Tom Papa. Fantastic.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #1673
RainMaker
General Manager

Netflix has so much good comedy on it now. Love what they're doing. Sometimes you just want to watch a stand up routine in the background while you're doing other stuff.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #1674
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Chris Rock and Patton Oswalt's comedy specials are the best they've put out so far.

Haven't seen Patton Oswalt's but totally agree on the new Rock special. Fantastic.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #1675
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wow. I guess you should have just said "He thinks he is a serial killer and isolated himself. This girl walked up to him and talked him into hanging out. An opportunity presented itself. He wanted to act out his murder desire. Could have been the mailman."

I liked it okay. I was a little disappointed by the turn it took after the scene in the house. I was hoping they would go on a spree. But I liked Dexter and other serial killer movies and shows.

I tried. But the trailer had them convinced (it really was an unfortunate trailer and a really dumb juxtaposition). And IMO, the turn makes it worth watching. Otherwise, it's kind of a humorous boiler plate serial killer thing. The show actually is far greater than that due to what happens in the second half o the season (IMO).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-26-2018 at 09:29 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #1676
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Haven't seen Patton Oswalt's but totally agree on the new Rock special. Fantastic.

You're missing out. It's probably the best of 2017. Check it out.

Like Steam?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #1677
Butter
Coordinator

Radius. Canadian thriller about a guy who kills anyone that gets within like 50 yards of him, accidentally. It is a little painful to get to the last 15 minutes. But GOD DAMN THOSE LAST 15 MINUTES. It was definitely worth it. I was literally thinking "there is no way to pay this off satisfactorily after this long boring build up". I was happy to be wrong.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #1678
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm 8 episodes into Erased, a Japanese "time travelling" drama on Netflix. An unusual mix of incredible darkness (child murder), and warmth. Loving it.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #1679
Izulde
Head Coach

Geeking out on 21 Thunder just from the first episode. It's like FM come to life. And Stephanie Bennett may well be my new actress crush.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #1680
chinaski
College Prospect

Ugly Delicious, cooking series focusing history and technique. Good stuff! Might be biased tho because im fascinated by subject.

Last edited by chinaski : 03-02-2018 at 01:40 AM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #1681
Izulde
Head Coach

Finished the season of 21 Thunder in one night. Stuffed full of melodrama, and in the second half of the season, there's so many plot holes and so much cheese that my suspension of disbelief kept breaking. The season finale in particular has a giant question to answer to prevent from eye-rolling so hard my brain rattles. But it was a fun romp with winsome actors and characters, and I hope there's a Season 2.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #1682
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Ugly Delicious, cooking series focusing history and technique. Good stuff! Might be biased tho because im fascinated by subject.
I've enjoyed this as well. I about threw up hearing David Chang compare himself to Wolfgang Puck to Wolfgang Puck, but the show has been solid otherwise. Don't watch it late at night while hungry
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #1683
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Radius. Canadian thriller about a guy who kills anyone that gets within like 50 yards of him, accidentally. It is a little painful to get to the last 15 minutes. But GOD DAMN THOSE LAST 15 MINUTES. It was definitely worth it. I was literally thinking "there is no way to pay this off satisfactorily after this long boring build up". I was happy to be wrong.

Caught this tonight. The story is brilliant, the last act is amazing. But yeah, I'd say there's about 45 minutes in there that are...not bad per se, just completely by the numbers scenes and dialog you've seen in a million other movies.

I really had a sense that the leads just weren't all that great, until the end when they got the chance to actually do stuff, and man, they were amazing. It feels like a completely missed opportunity at what should have been a GREAT movie. As it is I'd still heartily recommend it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #1684
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post

Really enjoying this as well. But I'm a bit put off by David Chang throwing F-bombs in every other sentence. It seems like he says "fuck" just to say "fuck".
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #1685
whomario
Pro Starter

If you haven't seen Wormwood yet, you need to. Quite possibly the smoothest reiteration of a docudrama out there and a fascinating story behind it as well ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #1686
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just finished the second six episodes of The Tick on Amazon. I was a huge fan of the cartoon and I loved this show. The characters were fantastic. They nailed both Arthur and The Tick. Overkill and Danger Boat were hilarious. The villains were great.

Really, I loved everything about this show.

I definitely hope there is a second season.

Update: Apparently it has already been renewed for a 10-episode second season. Sweet!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-07-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #1687
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just finished the second six episodes of The Tick on Amazon. I was a huge fan of the cartoon and I loved this show. The characters were fantastic. They nailed both Arthur and The Tick. Overkill and Danger Boat were hilarious. The villains were great.

Really, I loved everything about this show.

I definitely hope there is a second season.

Update: Apparently it has already been renewed for a 10-episode second season. Sweet!

It probably helps to nail the characters when the original creator of the characters is brought on board to help with the show.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #1688
tarcone
Coordinator

LA 92 is a must watch. It was a show that I cannot use enough superlatives to describe it.

It has footage that has never been seen. It is brutal and violent and heart-wrenching. It really put into perspective how, for me, blacks feel about "the system".

An absolute must watch.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #1689
Edward64
Head Coach

Just got Netflix through our T-Mobile so looking forward to participating in this thread.

FWIW, the Netflix free content seems much better than what is on Amazon Prime.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #1690
sabotai
General Manager

Wild, Wild Country was great. 6 part documentary about the Rajneeshpuram commune in Oregon in the early 1980s.

Also binged The Good Place (season 1 on Netflix, season 2 elsewhere). I loved it. Can't wait for season 3.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #1691
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Better Call Saul Season 3 popped up on Netflix last week and I burned through it in two nights. Great show and they continue to add the Breaking Bad chess pieces.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #1692
Atocep
Coordinator

Just finished Santa Clarita Diet Season 2. More of the same in a good way. If you enjoyed season 1 then season 2 shouldn't disappoint.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #1693
tarcone
Coordinator

Netflix is so much better than Amazon Prime.

I thought the 2nd season of Santa Clarita Diet was a lot better than the 1st. And I really liked the 1st.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #1694
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just got Netflix through our T-Mobile so looking forward to participating in this thread.

FWIW, the Netflix free content seems much better than what is on Amazon Prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Netflix is so much better than Amazon Prime.
If I was new to both I think Netflix would be slightly better, and it certainly dominates if you want to catch up on TV series, but I don't think there is a big gap in terms of original content or movies. Netflix does seem to be making a bigger push for producing movies, and I have heard Amazon Prime's movie choices don't really rotate much, but outside of the Marvel deal I don't think Netflix puts much effort/money into getting new movies available for streaming.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #1695
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If I was new to both I think Netflix would be slightly better, and it certainly dominates if you want to catch up on TV series, but I don't think there is a big gap in terms of original content or movies. Netflix does seem to be making a bigger push for producing movies, and I have heard Amazon Prime's movie choices don't really rotate much, but outside of the Marvel deal I don't think Netflix puts much effort/money into getting new movies available for streaming.

Netflix has a much better line up of original series.
Netflix is amazing at getting comedy performances.
Amazon is better at the rental aspect.

I rarely watch Amazon, though i really enjoyed Sneaky Pete. But I watch Netflix and wait for Amazon to rotate in new content.

Obviously, it is tastes, and I am a Netflix guy.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #1696
spleen1015
Coordinator

I love them both. There are original series on both that are worth watching. The nice thing about Amazon is you get it with your membership to Prime. Everyone should have Prime for the $$$ savings alone.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #1697
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I love them both. There are original series on both that are worth watching. The nice thing about Amazon is you get it with your membership to Prime. Everyone should have Prime for the $$$ savings alone.

Quite literally I cannot imagine how I'd survive without Amazon Prime.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #1698
tarcone
Coordinator

Prime itself does offer so much. I love them both as well. But for my viewing, I prefer netflix.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #1699
RainMaker
General Manager

Not really sure what Prime is doing on the TV front. Man in the High Castle seemed to be really popular and the makings of a hit, but they seem ashamed to promote it and it's been a year and a half since the last season. Not much word on season 3 besides a couple clips they put out 6 months ago.

I thought Patriot was alright although not something I'd pay to see. Other than that I think their original shows are lackluster.

Netflix doesn't have a great show, but they have a lot of good ones. They crush Amazon although I'm not sure Amazon is even trying to compete at this point.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #1700
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Jeff Bezos has said that he wants Amazon to get into large prestige shows. For example Amazon just recently wrote a huge check to get the rights to make a show set in the Tolkien universe.