Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #201
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Gulati needs to go. The whole program needs to be torn down from the top to the bottom. You got 5 years to get things back on track.

Gulati has too much power in FIFA, he's not going anywhere.

Agree on a complete overhaul with Pulisic as the centerpiece of the team going forward and the prototype of the kind of player we're trying to develop.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #202
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I swear Taylor Twerp was on ESPN a week ago saying the US not qualifying wasn't a bad thing. I don't think he had this imagined as the way that we wouldn't make it.

It's for the best if it forces them to make major changes from top to bottom. Honestly this team was Pulisic and a pile of shit. They weren't going anywhere in the WC and fighting to be the 3rd or 4th best team in CONCACAF isn't a good goal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #203
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Can't wait til SC shows the first Panama "goal". It never went in when watching the replay.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #204
bronconick
College Starter

LOL FOX SPORTS
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #205
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
LOL FOX SPORTS

They could maybe get away with putting Gus Johnson back in the mix.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #206
RainMaker
General Manager

Remember when US soccer gave up a home game in qualifying for a few extra bucks? Wonder if that point would have helped.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #207
Butter
Coordinator

They barely looked interested, tbh. Every player on the pitch deserves all the criticism they will get, except the one that scored.

Not to mention US Soccer.

If anybody over 25 plays in any international games in the next couple of years, then we haven't learned a God damn thing.

Panama's first goal wasn't a goal though.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm still trying to figure out how Arena got hired in the first place.

My God, you might actually be better off just rolling a ball out there & saying "figure it out boys".
Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #209
PilotMan
Head Coach

The loss to Mexico in Columbus was bad. The loss to CR on the road was awful. The 0-2 home loss against CR was worse than the road loss. Now throw in that 1-1 tie against Honduras, after we trounced them 6-0 and it's all a set up for tonight. Tonight was, without question, the biggest egg laid by this team of the entire qualification. But each of those other games set the stage for tonight. A World Class system doesn't end up playing like this. It has to be reset.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #210
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how Arena got hired in the first place.

My God, you might actually be better off just rolling a ball out there & saying "figure it out boys".

Seemed like a desperate attempt to salvage qualification. They let Jurgen run the program into the ground and figured maybe a familiar face could get it on track enough to beat what should be vastly inferior teams.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #211
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #212
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Remember when US soccer gave up a home game in qualifying for a few extra bucks? Wonder if that point would have helped.

Remind me?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seemed like a desperate attempt to salvage qualification. They let Jurgen run the program into the ground and figured maybe a familiar face could get it on track enough to beat what should be vastly inferior teams.

There were, IIRC, some reasons that familiar face was booted last time.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #214
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Remind me?

They played the Costa Rica qualifier in New Jersey where it was practically a home game for Costa Rica.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #215
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'm going to suggest a dump truck full of cash for Oscar Pareja to take this thing over. His strength in Dallas has been developing young players and using an attacking style.

After that, any of Marsch, Kreis, Vanney, Vermes, or even Schmetzer would be fine.

The wild card option would be Tata Martino.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 10-10-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #216
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

Panama's first goal wasn't a goal though.

Just saw this highlight. Not even close.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #217
RainMaker
General Manager

The crazy thing is they should have lost by more tonight. T&T had a bunch of really good looks and US got away with at least 1 penalty (probably 2).
Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #218
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 10-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #219
bob
College Starter

Quote:
They played the Costa Rica qualifier in New Jersey where it was practically a home game for Costa Rica.

Gotcha... wasn't quite sure what that referred to, so thanks.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #220
PilotMan
Head Coach

Feel bad for Pulisic. He deserved a coming out party on that stage. Older players should just retire from the national team and get it over with.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #221
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #222
Warhammer
Pro Starter

As much as everyone wanted to blast Klinsmann about losing to Mexico and Costa Rica, those were not bad losses.

I agree the whole system needs to be torn down. We have players that are not mentally tough. We do not develop talent at all levels. Where are the young defenders, where are the young forwards?

Again, I go back to my post regarding my son in high school. I am by no means saying that he should be anywhere close to something along this level, however, his story does indicate a sickness in the program. We are selecting the best youth that can afford the travel club schedules and fees rather than the best players. For football, scouts scour the countryside, we locate talent in small town Nebraska, Texas, Montana, etc., and get the player to where he needs to go. For soccer, we don’t do that. We need to.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
For football, scouts scour the countryside, we locate talent in small town Nebraska, Texas, Montana, etc., and get the player to where he needs to go. For soccer, we don’t do that. We need to.

Okay, I'll bite:

On whose dime?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As much as everyone wanted to blast Klinsmann about losing to Mexico and Costa Rica, those were not bad losses.

The CR one was definitely a bad loss. In fact that's what this T&T loss reminded me of - no heart or passion, just going through the motions and getting worked.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #225
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The CR one was definitely a bad loss. In fact that's what this T&T loss reminded me of - no heart or passion, just going through the motions and getting worked.

Costa Rica is a good team. Not great, but good and improving. T&T isn't even close to that level. The style might be the same, but this is far, far worse because the competition is significantly worse.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #226
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They usually beat Mexico at home and are remotely competitive against other CONCACAF teams on the road. Klinsmann got blasted because the team wasn't competitive in either match.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #227
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Costa Rica is a good team. Not great, but good and improving. T&T isn't even close to that level. The style might be the same, but this is far, far worse because the competition is significantly worse.

Yes, this was a worse loss, but to claim the 4-0 shellacking to CR wasn't a 'bad loss' is just lunacy.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #228
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #229
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Blaming the coaches is fine, but what about most of the players? If they can't motivate themselves to go all out in a crucial game, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #230
MrBug708
Head Coach

@JeffreyCarlisle
Gulati: “You don’t make wholesale changes on a ball being two inches wide or two inches in...We’ll look at everything.” #usmnt

U17 World Cup (missed); U20 World Cup (missed); Olympics (missed twice) 2018 World Cup
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #231
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We're currently playing in the U17 World Cup and have a 2-0 record.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #232
bhlloy
Coordinator

This might be a bit of a hot taek, but I really do feel like the way MLS and soccer in general is run in this country is a massive obstacle to the national team ever becoming really successful.

In nearly every other country in the world, other than the absolute top teams (and outside of the big leagues, even the top teams) everyone is trying to develop young talent from a really early age and then sell it on for a large profit. For many teams in lower leagues selling a player every three or four years is pretty much the only thing that keeps them running, and even teams at the top level are trying to develop great young talent and loan them out to teams in competitive leagues to get a step on the competition.

Compare that to the US where typically kids are looking to get into college for an education and playing on teams that are just looking to maximize that possibility, and then the college teams have no interest in developing them beyond the next couple of years (and the standard is pretty terrible) and then get to MLS where the focus seems to be marketability, profit and signing old recognizable stars, we just seem to be starting at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the world.

For every kid like Pulisic or Wood who made the move abroad and reached their potential there has got to be 50 more who just got churned by this system and never even played at a high level. Hell, I know two people who were national team players at younger ages who quit as freshmen in college because they were so disillusioned with the whole system.

And that's not to say that doesn't happen in other countries, but the US just seems to start at a massive disadvantage, and I don't think MLS does nearly enough to encourage good young US players to come through and develop
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #233
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup - Wikipedia
Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #234
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If the US team take this correctly it might end up being a building block to move on for the US team - the German national team was rebuilt from bottom up after England beat them 5-0 and they've been great since ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #235
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This might be a bit of a hot taek, but I really do feel like the way MLS and soccer in general is run in this country is a massive obstacle to the national team ever becoming really successful.

In nearly every other country in the world, other than the absolute top teams (and outside of the big leagues, even the top teams) everyone is trying to develop young talent from a really early age and then sell it on for a large profit. For many teams in lower leagues selling a player every three or four years is pretty much the only thing that keeps them running, and even teams at the top level are trying to develop great young talent and loan them out to teams in competitive leagues to get a step on the competition.

Compare that to the US where typically kids are looking to get into college for an education and playing on teams that are just looking to maximize that possibility, and then the college teams have no interest in developing them beyond the next couple of years (and the standard is pretty terrible) and then get to MLS where the focus seems to be marketability, profit and signing old recognizable stars, we just seem to be starting at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the world.

For every kid like Pulisic or Wood who made the move abroad and reached their potential there has got to be 50 more who just got churned by this system and never even played at a high level. Hell, I know two people who were national team players at younger ages who quit as freshmen in college because they were so disillusioned with the whole system.

And that's not to say that doesn't happen in other countries, but the US just seems to start at a massive disadvantage, and I don't think MLS does nearly enough to encourage good young US players to come through and develop

MLS is a joke and when the ponzi scheme collapses it'll be the best thing to happen to US soccer.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #236
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Yeah the U17 is one of the few bright spots even if that age doesn't mean a ton in the long run.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #237
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MLS is a joke and when the ponzi scheme collapses it'll be the best thing to happen to US soccer.

That's a strange way to talk about US soccer being in the wilderness for 40 years again.

(hint: A lot of the really good CONCACAF players outside of the Mexican National Team are MLS players, including Honduras' goal scorer Elis and Costa Rica's Urena who scored 2 against the US)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-10-2017 at 10:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #238
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That's a strange way to talk about US soccer being in the wilderness for 40 years again.

(hint: A lot of the really good CONCACAF players outside of the Mexican National Team are MLS players, including Honduras' goal scorer Elis and Costa Rica's Urena who scored 2 against the US)

It's helped these other CONCACAF nations by giving them a better league to play in. It's hurt US players by giving them a lesser league to fall back on.

Having most of your players competing in the 12th best league in the world isn't going to help them become better.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #239
MrBug708
Head Coach

Time for the FIFA NIT! Ghana, US, Holland, and Chile.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #240
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's helped these other CONCACAF nations by giving them a better league to play in. It's hurt US players by giving them a lesser league to fall back on.

Having most of your players competing in the 12th best league in the world isn't going to help them become better.

So have it fall apart so those that can't make it in Europe basically have to struggle in a perpetually failing NASL type league which constantly fails to teams folding and therefore no teams building academies to identify young players (most of the U17 team that is doing well in India right now are academy players)... yeah, that'll work out well.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #241
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So have it fall apart so those that can't make it in Europe basically have to struggle in a perpetually failing NASL type league which constantly fails to teams folding and therefore no teams building academies to identify young players (most of the U17 team that is doing well in India right now are academy players)... yeah, that'll work out well.

Professional soccer won't go away, it'll just change to a real league where teams are actually trying to beat one another. Maybe instead of having the 12th best league in the world, we can have the 6th or 7th.

And those guys who can't make it in Europe are the one's who can't qualify for the World Cup as it is. Doesn't seem to be helping much.

The U17 thing is nice but if most of those guys stick around MLS it doesn't matter.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #242
bhlloy
Coordinator

Does look like that's true about the U17 team, and that's definitely a step in the right direction. I guess the proof will be in how many of those players actually break through into MLS and become good players.

Really what the US is missing (and this isn't an argument for promotion/relegation) is competitive lower leagues. If you look at how many stars in other countries have come through multiple loan spells at lower levels, it's a pretty long list. I've been to a few USL games and from memory everyone is either old Mexican or American and crap or young, European and crap. If the choice is Europe (which most kids won't do), college (which just isn't good enough from a developmental standard) or MLS academy (which might be heading in the right direction but I'll believe it when I see teams blooding young talent rather than signing players that might bump their attendance up a few hundred) I don't think the US is ever going to get to the next level
Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #243
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

This is part of the problem, no? That so many players in MLS are from Central America and not good young American players?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #244
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Referring to losing to Germany in the quarterfinals at Japan/Korea 2002 here? (I doubt you mean the second place finish in the 2009 Confederations cup.)
Yes, the World Cup when he was 20. Though he did play at that same level (as did Dempsey) at intervening times subsequently. Fairly similar profile to Pulisic - small, slight, very fast guy who's best running at people, though I do think Pulisic has slightly better off ball movement than Donovan. (Though that's very hard to say for certain with how many different places on the field and systems both played in.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
To be fair to TT, they've not quit playing and they've not played unfairly.
Yeah, that's a slur on soccer, but I find it's highly country specific. I think the Latin countries are much worse at that stuff, and even within Central America I'd say Guatemala, El Salvador & Honduras are on a whole different level than Panama or Costa Rica.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So we can blame this failing on Trump right?
Hypothetically, if he invades & annexes Panama or Honduras, are we back in? #JustSayin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I need some of the FOFC police to tell me if this is an embarrassment yet that the US can't beat teams that spend a thousands of a fraction on their program and national league.
Oh, it's extremely embarrassing. Its just when people want to mock the US for losing to Panama etc, while simultaneously telling me I shouldn't be so happy when we're beating them "because it's only Panama", that I lash out.
Quote:
Gulati needs to go. The whole program needs to be torn down from the top to the bottom. You got 5 years to get things back on track.
+11111111111 Too bad he's not super corrupt, just super incompetent. I've never understood why everyone complains about US Soccer or MNT coaches/players, but allow Gulati and the small governing board free passes.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #245
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Professional soccer won't go away, it'll just change to a real league where teams are actually trying to beat one another. Maybe instead of having the 12th best league in the world, we can have the 6th or 7th.

Because that worked so well in the 1980s, especially when NASL teams started folding left and right.

Sometimes I wonder if people remember where US professional soccer was before the MLS started in 1996. I mean there was a reason that FIFA demanded the USSF start a Division 1 soccer league in order to host the 1994 World Cup - because we didn't really have one at the time.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #246
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Because that worked so well in the 1980s, especially when NASL teams started folding left and right.

Sometimes I wonder if people remember where US professional soccer was before the MLS started in 1996. I mean there was a reason that FIFA demanded the USSF start a Division 1 soccer league in order to host the 1994 World Cup - because we didn't really have one at the time.

Aren't we back to the 80's now? 5th or 6th best team in CONCACAF.

I'm not saying do away with professional soccer in this country. I'm just saying the MLS is a joke and not a real professional league. It's a weird ponzi scheme that is not benefiting US soccer in it's current setup.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #247
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Arrow

Quote:

MLS is definitely a ponzi scheme, but that's not the crux of the problem. Ponzi scheme ain't played nobody.

The problem starts with young kids. First of all, the whole pay-for-play stuff. Why have kids pay to play soccer when the rest of the world pays parents to have their kids in their academies? You knock out a lot of talented kids right there. And yes, being such a big country, academies are not going to cover everywhere, at least not yet. But don't tell me you can't find talented kids in MLS metropolitan areas, or USL metropolitan areas. Get academies going, and that'll kill the whole pay-for-play shit.

And this nonsense about a college education? Teams need to offer scholarships for their kids to get a college education at a convenient time. Players shouldn't have to stifle their development as soccer players in order to get a college education.

And nobody here has mentioned it, but I'm sick and tired of people always saying that promotion/relegation will somehow make us better soccer players. Pro/rel ain't played nobody! If a player isn't developed by the time they're old enough to play in a league with pro/rel, then pro/rel is not going to help. You think Neymar experienced relegation when he was coming up with Santos? That didn't help him become a world-class player. What helped him was being in a situation in which he could develop as a kid.

As for MLS, maybe they don't have to get rid of the whole single-entity thing, but they do need to raise the salary cap by a substantial amount. It might not be the Big Four, but there's still a lot of money being poured into MLS. Look at all these soccer-specific stadiums they're building! Take some of that money and get some more talent.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 PM   #248
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aren't we back to the 80's now? 5th or 6th best team in CONCACAF.

I'm not saying do away with professional soccer in this country. I'm just saying the MLS is a joke and not a real professional league. It's a weird ponzi scheme that is not benefiting US soccer in it's current setup.

No, we aren't the same as the 80s. We actually have a growing and actually profitable D1 league and cities are actually lining up to get franchises in it. If it was such an obvious ponzi scheme, I sincerely doubt you'd have so many lining up to be a part of it. Not to mention sponsors who continue to offer more than they did before (Adidas' re-upping of the kit deal being the latest example) No matter how much Bill Halsey and Ted Westervelt wish it to be true. Not to mention that expansion fees are in order to buy an equal share of MLS LLC to begin with and it's profitable contracts (including SUM, TV deals and sponsorship deals).

If you want to reinvent the wheel and find other owners who are willing to lose hundreds of millions to build foundations of a domestic D1 league, you are welcome to try to compete, but if you want to destroy MLS to do it, then you can count me out and I'll find another country's league or another sport to follow.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #249
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean, Hell, Szymanski has been making this MLS = ponzi scheme argument for a while (see article below from 2015). He just ignores all of the revenues streams (there is a reason that MLS is insisting on soccer specific stadiums for the next 4 expansion teams where the owners are in charge of revenue) in order to do so.

'Soccernomics' author says MLS' collapse is imminent. His argument is awful. - SBNation.com

Obviously expansion will end at some point, so if people seriously believe that MLS is a ponzi scheme then they should do nothing and it'll just collapse at that point. I'll bet that it doesn't.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-10-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #250
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tata Martino please.