Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #251
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't hate the deal for the 49ers - half a season to see if a young guy who has shown flashes can be your franchise QB for the price of a second is an OK deal

That being said, it's another brilliant move by the Pats as usual. As pointed out above if Brady goes down nobody is winning a playoff game with that defense. So he gets what is likely the 33rd pick in the draft - anyone want to bet they get a QB on the second day who is even more highly rated than Jimmy G is after a couple of carefully cultivated preseason games and mop up appearances and the cycle repeats itself?

The only curious timing is if Brady retires after this year but still, you think Belicheck is letting a guy go like that if he believes he's good enough to win with?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #252
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Shouldnt Paxton Lynch be seeing the field sometime soon?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-30-2017 at 09:15 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #253
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't hate the deal for the 49ers - half a season to see if a young guy who has shown flashes can be your franchise QB for the price of a second is an OK deal

That being said, it's another brilliant move by the Pats as usual. As pointed out above if Brady goes down nobody is winning a playoff game with that defense. So he gets what is likely the 33rd pick in the draft - anyone want to bet they get a QB on the second day who is even more highly rated than Jimmy G is after a couple of carefully cultivated preseason games and mop up appearances and the cycle repeats itself?

The only curious timing is if Brady retires after this year but still, you think Belicheck is letting a guy go like that if he believes he's good enough to win with?

In theory it seems ok for the niners but with the success of Belichek and his trades I wouldnt trust the situation all that much. If he thought Jimmy G was a potential star would he have any reason to trade him right now?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #254
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

The only curious timing is if Brady retires after this year

If that happens, they could always just try to sign Garappolo again.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2017 at 09:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #255
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

And Zeke is now suspended again! What a soap opera....
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #256
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Belli is a smart man and knows Brissett isnt winning any super bowls. With the Garopollo trade he must sense Brady is going to be around for a few more years and must think this is a better offer than he will get in April. If it was anyone else I might question the decision.... Who is your 3rd stringer soon to be 2nd stringer? Must be making a nice impression on the head coach.
Brissett isn't winning any super bowls but he's shown he can step in and be an adequate QB for a half or a game if Brady picks up a smaller injury.

We literally have no other QB, not even on the practice squad. (Though it does sound like the 49ers will be releasing Brian Hoyer, who would be fairly familiar with the system.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #257
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
In theory it seems ok for the niners but with the success of Belichek and his trades I wouldnt trust the situation all that much. If he thought Jimmy G was a potential star would he have any reason to trade him right now?
Because we can't afford to pay our backup QB what he'll command in free agency, and I guess they finally realized Handsme Jimmy wasn't looking to take a big discount.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:43 AM   #258
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Because we can't afford to pay our backup QB what he'll command in free agency, and I guess they finally realized Handsme Jimmy wasn't looking to take a big discount.

And they waited literally as long as possible to trade him. If they dealt him two years ago, I would question it. But they tried to cash at last year's draft and didn't get the first they sought, so they waited as long as they could short of giving him a franchise tag that they couldn't actually afford. There was no reason to sell off a cheap asset before they needed to.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #259
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And they waited literally as long as possible to trade him. If they dealt him two years ago, I would question it. But they tried to cash at last year's draft and didn't get the first they sought, so they waited as long as they could short of giving him a franchise tag that they couldn't actually afford. There was no reason to sell off a cheap asset before they needed to.

And they got to look at half a season of Brady before pulling the trigger. Since Brady is playing like he's 25, that makes the decision much easier.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #260
miami_fan
Coordinator

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins trade Pro Bowl running back Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a fourth-round pick.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #261
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins trade Pro Bowl running back Jay Ajayi to the Eagles for a fourth-round pick.

is there a reason they would do this that Im not understanding? They are 4-3 and in the playoff race and trade what has been their only consistent weapon.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 AM   #262
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
is there a reason they would do this that Im not understanding? They are 4-3 and in the playoff race and trade what has been their only consistent weapon.

Other than this being the worst 4-3 team out there?

At best, they have a repeat of last year, barely getting to the playoffs and getting destroyed in the wild card. With the team having to play the Patriots twice, the Bills twice, and the Chiefs they might as well dump some salary, call the kids from the minors and see what they have for the future.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #263
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

At best, they have a repeat of last year, barely getting to the playoffs and getting destroyed in the wild card. With the team having to play the Patriots twice, the Bills twice, and the Chiefs they might as well dump some salary, call the kids from the minors and see what they have for the future.

Well if this was their mindset they fucked up their entire process. 4-3 is probably the best they could have expected to start with what they came into the season with. If they wanted to tank the season they should have went to "the kids from the minors" from the very start and got themselves a high draft pick.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #264
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

And they have no QB. If any of them were playing well, it might be worth seeing how things go. Instead, sell high on a RB who a huge year last year and isn't playing to that level this time around.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #265
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
And they have no QB. If any of them were playing well, it might be worth seeing how things go. Instead, sell high on a RB who a huge year last year and isn't playing to that level this time around.

A late 4th round pick is selling high? umm ok
Old 10-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Well if this was their mindset they fucked up their entire process. 4-3 is probably the best they could have expected to start with what they came into the season with. If they wanted to tank the season they should have went to "the kids from the minors" from the very start and got themselves a high draft pick.

I think they would disagree with the best they could have expected part. I think I could have gotten a consensus on them beating the Jets twice prior to the start of the season and prior to Tannehill's injury. I also think I would have gotten the same consensus on them scoring more than zero points against the Saints and Ravens combined. Finally I don't think many people believed the Bills would be this good prior to the season. IIRC the Bills were supposedly tanking the season and setting Tyrod Taylor up for failure. I don't think they wanted to tank the season from the start. I think they believe they would at least host wild card game and be able to sneak around the Pats if they had any injuries. Given what the season has become, they may think that is the best outcome.

Let's be honest, Gase was not a believer in Ajayi. Remember, Arian Foster was the opening day starter last year. Ajayi couldn't get the ball in the read zone this year which is problematic. The real question moving forward is if and when the offensive genius is going to start making the Dolphins a different team offensively than what they have been for the last 15 years.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Financially wise I'm not sure what the niners have to do with Jimmy G. Basically you could argue that any contract that they would do with him has to start by at least incorporating one franchise tag into the math. and you could make a strong case that if that was all the guaranteed money he was going to receive, he would be better playing out a tag in 2018 and hitting the market in 2019. So I don't know what the niners do. Do you just hit him right now with a 6 year 120 million dollar deal and guarantee 35 million of it or something? He seems very unproven but has had decent results in a limited amount of time. The Niners do have a ton of cap space to burn this off season. But if you're going to give Garoppolo at least 20 million dollars a year on a long-term contract, you may as well just back up a Brinks truck in front of Kirk Cousins. Cuz cousins is at least proven to be a quarterback that can produce at a high rate and is pretty sturdy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #268
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A late 4th round pick is selling high? umm ok

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #269
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Gase prefers RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield and pass block. Ajayi does neither and had lost his 3rd down snaps. He's also a free agent after next year and if they did decide to trade him this was probably the best they were going to do considering the fact he's going to want a long term deal soon.

If he was given things to work on, failed to do so, and they decided to move him based on the factors I mentioned then getting what you can instead of wishing you traded him earlier so that you could have gotten a 3rd rounder instead of a 4th is pointless.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #270
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't get the Benjamin trade either. Crazy doings in the NFL today.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #271
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think there's a real question if they could've gotten a 1st from Cleveland. in which case I would've preferred to trade him at the draft or in preseason for that, but then you also have the reports saying the Browns FO went home at 5pm yesterday and only learned Garoppollo was on the block from a irate coaching staff an hour after he was traded.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #272
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I don't get the Benjamin trade either. Crazy doings in the NFL today.

Me either. Not like the Panthers have a bunch of receivers ready to step up in his place. Maybe a contract thing?
Old 10-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #273
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Me either. Not like the Panthers have a bunch of receivers ready to step up in his place. Maybe a contract thing?
They picked up a 5th year option for him next year for $8.5m & no signing bonus, so it wasn't like they couldn't have traded him to Buffalo (who's GM & Coach were in Carolina) this offseason.

Funchess has looked much improved the last few weeks, and McCaffrey's been okay catching balls out of the backfield, but even if you don't want two "big" WR's none of the others like Curtis Samuel have shown anything yet. Weird trade for a team that seems like it'll be in the thick of a division and wild card race and doesn't get Greg Olsen back for a few more weeks. But there have been several very questionable moves out of Carolina's front office the past few months.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #274
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
They picked up a 5th year option for him next year for $8.5m & no signing bonus, so it wasn't like they couldn't have traded him to Buffalo (who's GM & Coach were in Carolina) this offseason.

Funchess has looked much improved the last few weeks, and McCaffrey's been okay catching balls out of the backfield, but even if you don't want two "big" WR's none of the others like Curtis Samuel have shown anything yet. Weird trade for a team that seems like it'll be in the thick of a division and wild card race and doesn't get Greg Olsen back for a few more weeks. But there have been several very questionable moves out of Carolina's front office the past few months.

I get the Ajayi trade, but this is one I wish the Bears had been in on. Miller was the only guy on the roster that could get open and the only guy on the roster that could catch the ball.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #275
bronconick
College Starter

So the Bengals agreed to deal McCarron to the Browns, but the Browns didn't phone the trade in. There is nothing more Browns than that.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 PM   #276
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
So the Bengals agreed to deal McCarron to the Browns, but the Browns didn't phone the trade in. There is nothing more Browns than that.

It still doesn't beat your GM drafting Johnny Manziel based on the advice of a homeless person.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #277
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think there's a real question if they could've gotten a 1st from Cleveland. in which case I would've preferred to trade him at the draft or in preseason for that, but then you also have the reports saying the Browns FO went home at 5pm yesterday and only learned Garoppollo was on the block from a irate coaching staff an hour after he was traded.

Last I saw was that the Browns never offered more than a second last year, which is pretty funny considering some of the biggest Belichick mouthpieces in the press were claiming that they were going to get the 1.1 for him.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #278
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns were said to agree to send a second and third round pick for AJ. I think the Browns own multiple second and third round selections, but that seems like a very steep price
Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #279
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I still believe Belichick wanted Garoppolo starting next season. I take this development as a rare instance of Kraft overruling him. Belichick delayed as long as he could, but eventually had to pull the trigger.

Hopefully Brady doesn't get complacent and start sucking like the years leading up to drafting Garoppolo.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-01-2017 at 11:00 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #280
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’m not sure how to read this - it’s basically blackmail...

Quote:
”I think the NFL has to come to their senses," Geragos said.

"They realise every day that goes by just proves the collusion case even more. I think within the next 10 days somebody will sign him

Speaking on the Adam Corolla Show, Geragos added: "It's not a hard matter to solve.

"There are at least seven teams that I can pick that probably should sign Kaepernick to a two-year deal and then they will make the collusion case go away."

Colin Kaepernick: Lawyer expects NFL quarterback to be signed 'within next 10 days' - BBC Sport

Last edited by AlexB : 11-01-2017 at 12:46 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #281
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's basically settlement negotiations, tbh.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #282
molson
General Manager

So now, based on the narrative of his own lawyer, if he signs it wouldn't be based on merit, it would only be because of legal threats. I'm sure that would be great situation every coach would love to take on down the stretch.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #283
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't Kaepernick probably one of the best 25 healthy quarterbacks out there? That seems fairly obvious. Some team should give him a chance based 100% on his level of skill.

I bet the Texans bite. He would be a compliment to Watson's skill set in case of injury. Their owner is already in a world of shit anyways. He should just take one for the team and sign CK cuz it makes football sense and Mcnair's situation is so bad anyways.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #284
Thomkal
Head Coach

It would seem the Patriots have a sudden need for a backup QB...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #285
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It would seem the Patriots have a sudden need for a backup QB...

They already signed Hoyer.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Some team should give him a chance based 100% on his level of skill.

Not if they don't want to introduce a malignant tumor to their team.

There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have enough cockroach dung on two legs walking around as it is. Why bring on another intentionally?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #287
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
They already signed Hoyer.

Ah missed that thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #288
Thomkal
Head Coach

He's back...

NFL notifies Josh Gordon of Cleveland Browns he will be reinstated to NFL on conditional basis
Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #290
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Last I saw was that the Browns never offered more than a second last year, which is pretty funny considering some of the biggest Belichick mouthpieces in the press were claiming that they were going to get the 1.1 for him.
1.1 was laughable (though wasn't it a ProFootballTalk report that spurred that, while Pats fans shot it down?), and I never know what rumors to buy, but given that the Browns had so many extra picks I think one of their later 1sts or the 2nd & 3rd rounder package they offered for AJ McCarron would've been on the table... but the Patriots don't really shop players. They make a decision to trade someone and seemingly take the first acceptable offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I still believe Belichick wanted Garoppolo starting next season. I take this development as a rare instance of Kraft overruling him. Belichick delayed as long as he could, but eventually had to pull the trigger.

Hopefully Brady doesn't get complacent and start sucking like the years leading up to drafting Garoppolo.
I don't buy this. I think Belichick wanted the option to replace Brady with Garoppollo as soon as he thought Jimmy G was better, but I don't think Belichick has any interest in replacing Brady until he actually shows decline.

(I also wonder which of the 5 consecutive Pro Bowl seasons before Garoppollo was drafted Brady sucked in. Admittedly, 2013 was an off year with only 4350 yards, a 61% completion %, 25/11 td/int ratio & a 12-4 record, but considering Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson & Michael Hoomanawanui were targets 2-4 for most of the season I give him a slight pass in retrospect And the 4 before that he had QB ratings between 96.2 & 111.0)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #291
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't buy this. I think Belichick wanted the option to replace Brady with Garoppollo as soon as he thought Jimmy G was better, but I don't think Belichick has any interest in replacing Brady until he actually shows decline.

(I also wonder which of the 5 consecutive Pro Bowl seasons before Garoppollo was drafted Brady sucked in. Admittedly, 2013 was an off year with only 4350 yards, a 61% completion %, 25/11 td/int ratio & a 12-4 record, but considering Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson & Michael Hoomanawanui were targets 2-4 for most of the season I give him a slight pass in retrospect And the 4 before that he had QB ratings between 96.2 & 111.0)

Right! Like a 0 percent chance Kraft or Belichek were looking to replace Brady. Brady will play til he takes over as the offensive coordinator.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #292
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Brady will play til he takes over as the offensive coordinator.
I don't think he wants to coach, or Gisele would allow it. I think there's a good chance he ends up in politics, though he'd probably wait until his kids are older.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #293
Logan
Head Coach

Ugh Rapaport saying Deshaun Watson may have tore his ACL at practice today. MRI coming.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #294
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Colts have officially given up on the season, put Luck on IR
Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #295
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Ugh Rapaport saying Deshaun Watson may have tore his ACL at practice today. MRI coming.

uhno
Old 11-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #296
Logan
Head Coach

Yiiiiikes. This guy should be more popular than the SI cover guy.

Last edited by Logan : 11-02-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #297
Thomkal
Head Coach

Surely as the injuries pile up, and the trading deadline now past, someone's going to sign Kap right?
Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #298
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yiiiiikes. This guy should be more popular than the SI cover guy.

Just think: if 32 people had voted otherwise, then not only would Deshaun Watson still be ambulatory today, but Yu Darvish would have pitched a no-hitter last night.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #299
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Surely as the injuries pile up, and the trading deadline now past, someone's going to sign Kap right?

Nope, he's aids
Old 11-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #300
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I'm starting to think the Ravens tweet thing was really the last straw. It was always going to be an uphill battle, but before that, he had met with teams, there were always rumors that was being considered when a spot opened up, there was reports about the money figures he was looking for. Nothing since that tweet. I can see owners saying, "well fuck that guy" at that point.

And the Texans are going to sign Matt McGloin.