Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #301
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Of all the owners who could potentially sign Kap, McNair would be in the bottom 2-3. Heck the Packers don't even have an owner and weren't interested when Rodgers went down. I just don't think he's a good enough QB to justify the headache/media attention. Tim Tebow 2.0

Last edited by Arles : 11-02-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #302
RainMaker
General Manager

He's way better than Tebow ever way.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #303
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Is there a possibility that Kaepernick is just a known asshole/egotist that transcends all the political attachments? Despite his name/image being associated with the current protest I feel like the consistent years of lack of support from former teammates/coaches regarding his football particulars speaks for something, but maybe that's just my imagination/bias.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #304
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He's way better than Tebow ever way.
OK, so he's 30% better than Tebow - is that still worth the headache? The only way I can see this working is if a team just created a college style offense for Tebow only and ran it midseason. But how much better is that than your current offense with a somewhat competant QB? Plus, you would then have to have all the other players learn this new offense.

The only way Kap works is if you sign him to be a starter in the offseason and commit completely to him. And I can't ever see a team doing that.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #305
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Is there a possibility that Kaepernick is just a known asshole/egotist that transcends all the political attachments? Despite his name/image being associated with the current protest I feel like the consistent years of lack of support from former teammates/coaches regarding his football particulars speaks for something, but maybe that's just my imagination/bias.

He had a reputation for being disconnected from his teammates around the time he was benched. He seemed to rehab himself a little bit the next year. But he didn't seem like a guy who was long for the league in 2015. When you're benched for Blaine Gabbert, things are not looking up.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/03/Co...blaine-gabbert

"But Kaepernick’s play has slid in concert with the 49ers’ implosion, and the on-field issues have been just a part of the concern. FOX’s Jay Glazer reported on his network’s pregame show a week back that Kaepernick is “on an island inside that locker room.” CBS's Jason La Canfora added on, tweeting Monday that newly traded tight end Vernon Davis “was among those sick of Kap walking around team headquarters with headphones on all day,” all but confirming multiple reports of Kaepernick’s reclusive approach to his teammates."

Last edited by molson : 11-02-2017 at 06:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #306
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
OK, so he's 30% better than Tebow - is that still worth the headache? The only way I can see this working is if a team just created a college style offense for Tebow only and ran it midseason. But how much better is that than your current offense with a somewhat competant QB? Plus, you would then have to have all the other players learn this new offense.

The only way Kap works is if you sign him to be a starter in the offseason and commit completely to him. And I can't ever see a team doing that.

There's a lot of players in the league who are headaches that we ignore because they help win games.

I don't think he would light up the league or anything but he's sure as shit better than Tom Savage and Matt McGloin. Really a matter of whether the Texans want to give themselves the best chance to win or not. I don't care either way but that's the reality of it.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #307
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's been said many times before, but I remain pleasantly surprised (and also slightly resentful) that Tony Romo is already legitimately better than 99% of sports commentators. If anything the worst part about his broadcast is hearing Nantz try to fit Romo's balls in his mouth every five minutes.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #308
Edward64
Head Coach

Some scenarios and their impact.

Doesn't seem to factor in the state you live in so not sure how robust.

Republican Tax Plan: Here's How Tax Reform Will Affect You
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #309
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Some scenarios and their impact.

Doesn't seem to factor in the state you live in so not sure how robust.

Republican Tax Plan: Here's How Tax Reform Will Affect You

None of these people have mortgages either? None pay property tax? None have student loans?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's been said many times before, but I remain pleasantly surprised (and also slightly resentful) that Tony Romo is already legitimately better than 99% of sports commentators. If anything the worst part about his broadcast is hearing Nantz try to fit Romo's balls in his mouth every five minutes.

Actually haven't heard Romo yet but it's not surprising that he is excellent.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #311
Butter
Coordinator

I'm agreeing on the Tony Romo love. I've been enjoying him. He gets excited, doesn't take it too seriously, doesn't rely on cliches, and doesn't sound like a drone. Also has provided some decent insight.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #312
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I think Kaep not having a job isn't widespread collusion, but classic "NIMBY" syndrome. 32 NFL owners being perfectly okay with him being a backup on any of 31 other NFL teams.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #313
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There's a lot of players in the league who are headaches that we ignore because they help win games.

I don't think he would light up the league or anything but he's sure as shit better than Tom Savage and Matt McGloin. Really a matter of whether the Texans want to give themselves the best chance to win or not. I don't care either way but that's the reality of it.
But does Kapernick really give you a better chance to win than Savage in Houston? He'd have to:
A) make sure he's in football shape (unknown)
B) get up to speed on the playbook/offense and/or involve massive changes to the system that impact other players.
C) Shake off the rust for someone who hasn't played (or even practiced) in a while.

Add in that he won't sign for the minimum (or atleast hasn't been interested in signing for cheap so far) and I can see why teams aren't that excited. Is the small increase in "chance to win" if he comes in and works out worth the media parade, higher salary and risk of him not putting in the required time to make a difference?

I look at him a lot like Percy Harvin was. If he's motivated and in the perfect system with the right players, he can help you. But if just one of those things aren't perfect, he becomes a massive headache and hurts you. And Harvin was a WR, it's 10 times more risky with a QB. There are sometimes where just having a lot of talent in a vacuum doesn't make someone a better option. I guarantee you if Kaepernick was working out for any team who wanted him last offseason, willing to sign the minimum and be a backup while still showing he's motivated to play - he probably would have gotten signed. But, he wanted starter money and didn't seem interested in putting in a ton of football work. That doesn't make an attractive backup QB option.

Last edited by Arles : 11-03-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #314
miami_fan
Coordinator

Zeke is back for another week.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #315
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Zeke is back for another week.

This keeps up, his suspension will last till next season.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #316
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Or he could end up missing playoff games. Though, that's another issue that might require rounds of court battles:

NFL: Ezekiel Elliott suspension would not exclude playoff games, Super Bowl - CBSSports.com

Last edited by molson : 11-03-2017 at 02:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #317
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Or he could end up missing playoff games. Though, that's another issue that might require rounds of court battles:

NFL: Ezekiel Elliott suspension would not exclude playoff games, Super Bowl - CBSSports.com

He can't get suspended from playoff games. That would be unfair to the other guys on the roster.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #318
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How is it any more unfair than being suspended during the regular season?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #319
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How is it any more unfair than being suspended during the regular season?

Ask Rob Manfred

MLB didn’t suspend Yuli Gurriel during the World Series for 4 reasons - SBNation.com

Quote:
Secondly, I felt it was unfair to punish the other 24 players on the Astros roster. I wanted the burden of this discipline to fall primarily on the wrongdoer.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #320
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I still think the way the Elliott suspension will play out is that Dallas will continue to fight until Zeke turns an ankle or sprains a knee or something and is out 4-6 weeks, at which point he'll 'voluntarily' serve out the suspension.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #321
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
He can't get suspended from playoff games. That would be unfair to the other guys on the roster.
David Stern and Adam Silver were never bothered by that.

Last edited by Arles : 11-03-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #322
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Hope nobody started Leonard Fournette today
Old 11-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #323
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

This keeps up, it'll start next season.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #324
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

AJ Green and Jalen Ramsey disqualified for a nice little scuffle.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #325
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
AJ Green and Jalen Ramsey disqualified for a nice little scuffle.

Gotta be some sort of Darwin Award for punching someone who's wearing a fucking helmet.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #326
Thomkal
Head Coach

we do know we are not in Week 6 anymore right?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #327
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Gotta be some sort of Darwin Award for punching someone who's wearing a fucking helmet.

Has a NFL player ever been charged with assault for something done on the field? If not then I wonder what it would actually take.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #328
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Ramsey is a pretty good example of million dollar body and 10 cent brain. 2 ejections in 24 games as a pro.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #329
Atocep
Coordinator

Mike Evans should be looking at a rather lengthy suspension.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #330
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I feel like I could play WR/TE for the Redskins right now and be just as effective as everyone not named Vernon Davis today.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #331
Suicane75
Coordinator

The shadows at Jerry World are atrocious. That roof is atrocious.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #332
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

2016 Rams: 226 points

2017 Rams: 263 points

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #333
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

7-2 Redskins at halftime. Definitely didn't expect that. Blair Walsh 0-3 on FG, all hooked wide left for Seattle.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #334
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's one way to throw a "hail mary"
Old 11-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #335
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Tyreke Hill doing Tyreke Hill things.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #336
Suicane75
Coordinator

I am so fucking sick of these choreographed TD celebrations. Much sicker than I ever was of celebration penalties, and I was VERY sick of them. I'm so conflicted.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #337
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Never in a million years did I expect that result. Great adjustment by Brian Quick and fantastic catch by Josh Doctson to set up the winning score.

Special thanks to Blair Walsh for missing more kicks today than the entire season up to this point.

HTTR
Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #338
Thomkal
Head Coach

Arizona's solution to the Palmer injury-Give the ball to Adrian Peterson. Result? Record carries for him plus another 100+ yards rushing. Will not likely work well next week when they face SEA at home on Thurs night.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #339
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I am so fucking sick of these choreographed TD celebrations. Much sicker than I ever was of celebration penalties, and I was VERY sick of them. I'm so conflicted.

I don’t mind if it is one guy, but bringing in 3-4other players, it becomes lame.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #341
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Just saw the replay. WTF was Winston doing?

Being himself. He's got all the talent in the world, but seems to lack in the decision making and impulse control departments. Considering how many incidents of brazen stupidity he had in college, this can't be too surprising. He's just not emotionally mature and seems to have little intelligence other than football.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #342
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My solution to protecting QBs better with the rapidly declining pool of good offensive linemen is to allow non-facemask holding.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #343
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My solution to protecting QBs better with the rapidly declining pool of good offensive linemen is to allow non-facemask holding.

That's pretty much already where they're at. If you watch just about any play in slow motion you'll see all sorts of jersey grabbing from any o-line that goes uncalled as long as the holding player's hands remain on the 'front' section of the jersey.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #344
bhlloy
Coordinator

How have I never seen the clip of giant 13 year old Andy Reid in the punt pass kick competition before today? That is literally the greatest thing I have ever seen.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #345
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How have I never seen the clip of giant 13 year old Andy Reid in the punt pass kick competition before today? That is literally the greatest thing I have ever seen.

"13"
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #346
digamma
Torchbearer

Tonight's children's game was Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #347
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Why is Green Bay barely trying to run the ball?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #348
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Man, these Wisconsin crowd shots are brutal.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #349
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Packers defense was pure awful tonight. Easy enough to blame Hundley but that defense couldnt get the Lions off the field.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #350
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I say we station a 6x6 kiddie pool 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and the QB can't step out of it and the defenders can't go in it. Voila, problem solved.