Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #101
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
He didn't shoot that way in college... worked this offseason on changing his stroke, and somehow that's the result. I have no idea why a professional organization would be okay with it. It's a freaking shot put off his palm, there's no way you can get touch on a shot like that.

I think the recent injury news(fluid draining from his shoulder, doesn't have the range of motion to shoot normally, etc.) explains this -- and another good reason why rushing to judgment on these things doesn't make sense.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #102
Groundhog
Coordinator

If his shoulder is that bad, it begs the question of why he's even been playing at all.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If his shoulder is that bad, it begs the question of why he's even been playing at all.

Agreed. Was he able to hide this from the staff? Did they not question why his shooting changed so much? If they knew, why play him at all?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #104
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I think it's likely that they've known all along, but the optics of a third straight top pick missing significant time their rookie year embarrassed them more than letting the kid flounder to open the season.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #105
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The injury train continues. AD will not return to the game. MRI scheduled.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #106
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think the recent injury news(fluid draining from his shoulder, doesn't have the range of motion to shoot normally, etc.) explains this -- and another good reason why rushing to judgment on these things doesn't make sense.
I've heard that too
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I have zero idea what's going on with Fultz's FT stroke - I assume it's partially shoulder injury related, but why would any team let him practice bad habits like that - but you really think he'd drop out of the top 5 already?
but that just makes the organization look worse & worse. It's not like Fultz is a plus player right now that will help them make the playoffs, with Simmons/Embiid playing it's not like they need Fultz on the floor to sell their fans on hope, so why is this happening?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #107
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The injury train continues. AD will not return to the game. MRI scheduled.

It's possibly a big injury, as always, but I never make any assumptions about the Brow when it comes to injuries. The man has yet to overcome even a little bit of pain to complete a game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #108
Izulde
Head Coach

In the No One Cares/Shameless Plug Department:

Where Will Bledsoe Go? Spoiler Alert: Not A Hair Salon - Dallas Sports Fanatic

It's quite possibly my favorite headline I've ever written

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #109
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Why do the Lakers look like they're wearing Nuggets throwbacks tonight?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #110
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Amazing how well your team can defend when you have a legit NBA coach. Suns look like a different team. They are still bad, but atleast watchable and they try hard.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #111
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Amazing how well your team can defend when you have a legit NBA coach. Suns look like a different team. They are still bad, but atleast watchable and they try hard.
Break up the Suns!

Super weird night in the NBA, with BK over Cleveland and Detroit, Charlotte & Phoenix dominating Minnesota, Denver & Utah.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #112
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Draymond Green is such a dirty POS.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #113
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Draymond Green is such a dirty POS.

Beal started that. He slapped him in the face and started choking him. Yes, Green is dirty but Beal was the dirty player in that particular confrontation.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/924117109961056257

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-27-2017 at 11:02 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #114
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Omri Casspi went to the Draymond Green school of kicking people in the junk when you take a shot.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lonzo has a game that is basically the opposite of his father. Whereas the dad is boastful and brash, he does a lot of under the radar stuff that "true basketball fans" like to see their players do. Depends on who the Lakers get as big men for rebounding, but he could easily be a 20-9-9 guy in his prime.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #116
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Beal started that. He slapped him in the face and started choking him. Yes, Green is dirty but Beal was the dirty player in that particular confrontation.

RealGM on Twitter: "Bradley Beal catches Draymond Green in the face. https://t.co/ZXCemYiosB"
Pointless to argue with Wizards fans. You'd figure with the amount of times they're one of two sides in a confrontation they'd pick up on the common denominator, but they follow their wings lead (Beal, Oubre, Morris) in terms of a victim complex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Lonzo has a game that is basically the opposite of his father. Whereas the dad is boastful and brash, he does a lot of under the radar stuff that "true basketball fans" like to see their players do. Depends on who the Lakers get as big men for rebounding, but he could easily be a 20-9-9 guy in his prime.
I've been very impressed with his rebounding at this level, but I don't ever see the 20 points happening.

Btw speaking of impressive rookies Semi Ojeleye had some great defense on Giannis the other night. His offense isn't NBA ready, but that's another switchy wing for the rotation. Semi Ojeleye Great Defense On Giannis Antetokounmpo - Celtics vs Bucks - YouTube
Old 10-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #117
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

RealGM on Twitter: "Bradley Beal catches Draymond Green in the face. https://t.co/ZXCemYiosB"

And the earlier tech Green got against Beal? That's what I thought. That was Beal responding to multiple cheap shots, one of which had already gotten Draymond a tech.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #118
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I've been very impressed with his rebounding at this level, but I don't ever see the 20 points happening.

Yep, Ball is going to need to get a heck of a lot better scoring off the dribble to ever come close to 20 PPG... He's basically an OK spot up shooter right now and not much else scoring-wise.

20-12-9 looks like a realistic line for Simmons, especially if the Sixers keep surrounding him with shooters.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #119
Atocep
Coordinator

I think people forgot how good Ben Simmons is.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 AM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ah yes... there are the Clips I remember.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:22 AM   #121
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ah yes... there are the Clips I remember.

The Warriors defensive gameplan was based entirely around getting the ball out of Blake's hands and making other guys beat you. Seems to me that every team is going to be doing that the rest of the season...

Simmons was knocking down elbow jumpers today for the Sixers, that's a scary sign.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #122
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Btw, we haven't faced a murderer's row of opponents and I expect the shooting percentages at least to tick back up some, but I have been very pleasantly surprised with Kyrie's defensive effort so far. Celtics overall are #1 in dRTG and "Through 7 games, Kyrie has a 97 defensive rating (by far his lowest), leads the NBA in total steals, opponents are shooting 43/29% against him, he’s 4th in the NBA in deflections per game (3.7) which also leads the team, he’s 5th in the NBA in loose balls recovered per game, and he’s contesting more shots as a Celtic than he did as a Cav."
Old 10-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #123
BishopMVP
Coordinator

76ers declining Jahlil Okafor's $6.3m player option for next year. Even if you're trying to trade him doesn't picking up that option make sense? Idk, Simmons & Embiid look great when on the floor this year, Redick was a nice signing, but every other decision Philly has made post-Hinkie has been very questionable.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #124
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm glad the Celtics didn't part ways with Jaylen in any of the offseason deals.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #125
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm glad the Celtics didn't part ways with Jaylen in any of the offseason deals.

I feel like if Jaylen went to anyone of maybe 95% of the other teams in the league in the draft, he'd barely register on anyone's radar right now. Celtics have done a great job developing his skills to the point where they are starting to catch up with his physical abilities.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #126
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I feel like if Jaylen went to anyone of maybe 95% of the other teams in the league in the draft, he'd barely register on anyone's radar right now. Celtics have done a great job developing his skills to the point where they are starting to catch up with his physical abilities.
Brad Stevens is a wizard at creating spacing and our system definitely helps wings with borderline shooting & handling look their best (hey Jae Crowder, how's Cleveland going!), but he's smart, hard-working, a physical specimen, could get to the rack and draw FT's from day one and his form was never so bad I questioned if he could hit enough open spot up 3's. The analytics HATED him at Cal, but whenever I watched it just seemed like a very poorly coached team. If you flipped him with say, Kris Dunn, Dragan Bender, or Marquese Chriss I still think Brown would look like a clear rotation player and the best of the 4, though maybe not by quite this margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Or Terry Rozier for a deadline rental like Serge Ibaka or PJ Tucker!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #127
whomario
Pro Starter

Jazz (come on, of course i adopted them as a team to follow now ... ) at 5-3 despite still kinda figuring out their identity and how to integrate Rubio's playmaking into their system leading to uncharacteristically low Assist and high turnover number. In the meantime he's gone and registered 3 straight 20+ point games on solid percentages including 30 last night against Portland. Seems to be very comfortable shooting the ball, continuing the trend from last season. Still not 100% consistent with his form, but getting there. The rainbow 3 over a big on the fastbreak yesterday was awesome.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-02-2017 at 06:53 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
76ers declining Jahlil Okafor's $6.3m player option for next year. Even if you're trying to trade him doesn't picking up that option make sense? Idk, Simmons & Embiid look great when on the floor this year, Redick was a nice signing, but every other decision Philly has made post-Hinkie has been very questionable.

Yeah makes zero sense and drops his value to basically a top 40 protected 2nd rounder.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Re:Ball

Just by virtue of being a superstar(maybe) and having the ball in his hands so often, that's worth maybe 4-6 points a game at the line. I don't think 20ppg in 3-5 years is that much of a stretch. He'll play 40mins a game.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #130
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just by virtue of being a superstar(maybe) and having the ball in his hands so often, that's worth maybe 4-6 points a game at the line. I don't think 20ppg in 3-5 years is that much of a stretch. He'll play 40mins a game.

Jason Kidd managed nearly 19 one season and that was when the average team scored well over 10 ppg less than today.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #131
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Suns are 3-1 since sitting Bledsoe and firing Watson (including a win in Washington last night). They are still young, but this team is playing very well together. It's a different star each night - last night it was Warren getting 40. It's nice to have a watchable Suns team again.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #132
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

I think the days of seeing anyone sniff 40 mpg is over.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #133
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Jason Kidd managed nearly 19 one season and that was when the average team scored well over 10 ppg less than today.
Alternatively, you could say Jason Kidd only averaged over 17ppg once, and made 5 all-star teams when averaging 13ppg or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I think the days of seeing anyone sniff 40 mpg is over.
Unless your name is Russell Westbrook or Tom Thibodeau is coaching you.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #134
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Could you imagine if Thibs coached Westbrook?

That's a workload level that would even scare former starting pitchers for Dusty Baker!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #135
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Not even sure he's the best 1st rounder from the 2017 draft on the Lakers roster at this point. <*slight tongue in cheek*>

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-02-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 AM   #136
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Not even sure he's the best 1st rounder from the 2017 draft on the Lakers roster at this point. <*slight tongue in cheek*>

0 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists in 28 minutes tonight is... not so great. I expect Ball to end up having a decent year, but I still see a lot of Carter-Williams in him at this point - jack of all trades, master of none. If you take the crazy Suns game/layup drill out of the equation, he's averaging 6.2 PPG 6.1 RPG 6.3 APG on .274/.222/.571 over 7 games. Including that game bumps his scoring up to 9.1 PPG and his shooting numbers to .326/.278/.556, but to be honest I'm still feeling pretty good about listing Fox as my #1 PG this last draft even though he has been a bit up and down as well.

Kuzma on the other hand is carrying over his preseason form and looks sensational.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #137
miami_fan
Coordinator

This Lebron guy is pretty good.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #138
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This Lebron guy is pretty good.
No question. But while I know I know it's every year, at what point should we seriously question Cleveland's defense and move them from overwhelming East favorite to slight Eastern Conference favorite? IT's coming back and should greatly help their nightly compete level, but he won't help on that end.

Somewhat relatedly, you know what else is pretty good? This Celtics 25 & under core Al Horford was indispensable and Aron Baynes great again tonight, but man Kyrie was cooking in that 2nd half tonight & everyone else except Morris (who not too surprisingly was terrible tonight in his first game back) is 23 or under.

Finally, I agree with Zach Lowe etc that the Kyle Kuzma future MVP hype train has gone to typical Laker excess, but how did he fall through the cracks that much? I recall watching some late night PAC-12 games where he was Utah's best player, but he certainly didn't jump off the screen like you'd think someone who can seamlessly fit in as an NBA rotation rookie would.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #139
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Finally, I agree with Zach Lowe etc that the Kyle Kuzma future MVP hype train has gone to typical Laker excess, but how did he fall through the cracks that much? I recall watching some late night PAC-12 games where he was Utah's best player, but he certainly didn't jump off the screen like you'd think someone who can seamlessly fit in as an NBA rotation rookie would.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the NCAA system right now is far from the best place to develop NBA players. Kentucky is the major exception.

Simmons with another casual triple tonight, 14-11-11.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #140
bronconick
College Starter

Andre Drummond may have actually figured out free throws. Last season was 38.5, through 9 games he's at 77.8 including 14-16 tonight.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:14 AM   #141
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the NCAA system right now is far from the best place to develop NBA players. Kentucky is the major exception.
When it comes to a player like Jaylen Brown who looked better as a HS senior than at Cal sure, but that's a much different topic. Kuzma went from 3/2 to 11/6 to 16/9 in his 3 seasons at Utah - I think he developed as a player while there. The question is why player evaluation failed so much - I guess pre-draft profiles harped on his inconsistent defense and inability to hit outside shots in college? NBA draft profile: Kyle Kuzma is an enigma to basketball scouts and experts | Deseret News

This draft looks like it'll have insane depth - TJ Leaf, John Collins, Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby & Caleb Swanigan were also all picked between 18 & 27 and look like rotation players at a minimum (and I still could see Harry Giles breaking out) - but I'd love to sit down with the scouts who thought DJ Wilson or Tyler Lydon was better than Kuzma and figure out what led to that thought process. I don't claim I saw Kuzma being this good (Swanigan was the one there I was banging the drum for), but I did see Wilson & Lydon play more & thought not an NBA player pretty quickly.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #142
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Andre Drummond may have actually figured out free throws. Last season was 38.5, through 9 games he's at 77.8 including 14-16 tonight.

That would be one of the more shocking turnabouts in this regard.

The closest i can think of is Chris Webber. He shot about 55% his first 5 seasons, then an ungodly 45% in his 6th and then 75% in his 7th, staying on average above 70% the rest of his career.

EDIT: In the "gradual improvement category" the winner might be Karl Malone. He went from 49 to 60 to 70 to 77 in his first 4 years and then stayed between 75 and 80 most seasons the rest of his career.

Last edited by whomario : 11-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #143
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Phoenix Suns finalizing deal to send Eric Bledsoe to Milwaukee Bucks

Bledsoe to Milwaukee for Monroe and a 1st. I guess that's something.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #144
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Phoenix Suns finalizing deal to send Eric Bledsoe to Milwaukee Bucks

Bledsoe to Milwaukee for Monroe and a 1st. I guess that's something.

I completely whiffed on Monroe, but did get Bucks and 1st as one of two best possibilities right (though I really thought he would go to Denver)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #145
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I completely whiffed on Monroe, but did get Bucks and 1st as one of two best possibilities right (though I really thought he would go to Denver)

Reaction from Bucks fans seems to be elated that they didn't have to part with Brogdon or Parker.

Center is now a big gaping hole for the Bucks as anybody with a little muscle can push Thon Maker and John Henson around.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #146
larrymcg421
Head Coach

A powerhouse Celtics lineup of Larkin/Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Baynes comes back from a double digit deficit to beat Charlotte. I love Brad Stevens.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #147
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Reaction from Bucks fans seems to be elated that they didn't have to part with Brogdon or Parker.

Center is now a big gaping hole for the Bucks as anybody with a little muscle can push Thon Maker and John Henson around.

GIANNIS SHOULD PLAY CENTER-POINT
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #148
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

What is the deal with Henson? When he plays he seems to do well but his minutes are always so limited. Just kind of wondering why a coach has never just went with him 25-30 minutes for an extended period to see what he can do.

His per 36 minute numbers are 14.3 points, 9.8 boards, and 2.9 blocks in his career with a .534 shooter percentage. Seems like a much better option than Maker.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The loss of CP3 has truly revealed how bad of a coach Doc Rivers is now. He won in Boston on the strength of superstar leadership. But ask him to win more games than his team is talented, that is too much.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #150
Groundhog
Coordinator

Haven't checked the numbers, but Twitter tells me Simmons could miss his next 110 shots and still have a better FG% than Lonzo.