Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2003, 04:26 PM   #1701
TLK
Pro Starter

dola..... ran over there to make sure no draft times opened up, and what do ya' know..... everytime for the next two weeks is open..... right now we have....

Quote:
You have been assigned the following draft time: Friday, September 26 at 8:10 pm EDT

What do you guys think???.....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 04:29 PM   #1702
Karim
College Starter

Grab it!
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 04:38 PM   #1703
TLK
Pro Starter

I have the 9-26 draft at 8:10 reserved...... My worry is for people like HB, which after thinking, God knows what time it's gonna be in Belgium. I guess we'll see what everybody has to say.....

also three spots left...... so grab em' if you want one....

TLK
Old 09-20-2003, 05:39 PM   #1704
henry296
College Starter

That is ok... would prefer not on a Friday night, but I'll try to be there.

Todd
Old 09-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #1705
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm a definate maybe for that draft time...but if i'm not there just auto me

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:20 AM   #1706
TLK
Pro Starter

Would a Saturday afternoon time be better for eveyone?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:03 AM   #1707
Karim
College Starter

Friday, Saturday or Sunday would work for me.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:18 AM   #1708
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Whatever time is fine for me.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:06 PM   #1709
JeffNights
College Prospect

Hey i'm the Michigan Mittens
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:10 PM   #1710
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saturday would be better for me, too.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:12 PM   #1711
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have to agree since I'll be at the Royals game Friday night.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #1712
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
You have been assigned the following draft time: Saturday, September 27 at 3:40 pm EDT

Is that better?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:17 AM   #1713
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'll be out of town next weekend, in New York for a wedding. I will leave it up to Robo-HB to draft for me. He did ok last year. I'll pre-rank some players later in the week.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #1714
bbor
Pro Starter

Greatest.Thread.Ever.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #1715
bbor
Pro Starter

Greatest.Thread.Ever.

Old 09-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #1716
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLionKing
I have the 9-26 draft at 8:10 reserved...... My worry is for people like HB, which after thinking, God knows what time it's gonna be in Belgium. I guess we'll see what everybody has to say.....

also three spots left...... so grab em' if you want one....

TLK

Thanks for trying to look out for me! I really appreciated, from one Lions' fan to another.

For future knowledge, Brussels is 6 hours ahead of EST. So, I am six hours ahead of most of you, and somewhere between 8-9 hours ahead of the Alberta boys. This why I seem so smart and knowledgeable all of the time. I know what happens before you guys do.
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:43 PM   #1717
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Greatest.Thread.Ever.

So great you had to say it twice?

Hey! Enough fantasy hockey talk! This thread is for hockey talk only! You F***ers want to talk fantasy hockey do it some other thread. I keep coming in here looking for hockey news, like where the hell the Oilers are going to trade Comrie, and all I read is crap about some fantasy hockey draft.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:59 PM   #1718
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
So great you had to say it twice?

Hey! Enough fantasy hockey talk! This thread is for hockey talk only! You F***ers want to talk fantasy hockey do it some other thread. I keep coming in here looking for hockey news, like where the hell the Oilers are going to trade Comrie, and all I read is crap about some fantasy hockey draft.

Shouldn't we be working towards a more tolerant and happy hockey thread? One where all philosophies of hockey are accepted and welcomed by one and all? One where we can all live in global hockey harmony. Oh... and one more thing

Red Wings Suck

EDIT: (I don't think I'll be able to do much talking once the season begins. Tho, the 'hawks did have the wings number last year with that 3-0-0-2 mark. Still, it was a mediocre team last year and their offseason consisted of adding three guys who got 48 points and a -37 +/- last year)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-22-2003 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #1719
klayman
College Benchwarmer

LOL

You've convinced me.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #1720
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Black Hawks swallow. But at least you probably don't have to worry about watching all those pesky late April/May games when the weather starts getting nice
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #1721
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Black Hawks swallow. But at least you probably don't have to worry about watching all those pesky late April/May games when the weather starts getting nice

Hehe...in Calgary "hockey" is a dirty word in May
Old 09-22-2003, 05:54 PM   #1722
henry296
College Starter

Some hockey news.

It appears the Marc Andre-Fleury has a decent shot to make the Penguins. He has been strong in camp and saved 22 of 23 in his only preseason action so far.

Todd
Old 09-22-2003, 08:05 PM   #1723
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I heard that. I still doubt it's the best move for Fleury to make the team. It's just to risky for a young goalie. But if anyone could handle it, it would probably be Fleury.

BTW, in case anyone cares, Sidney Crosby was named offensive player of the week in the QMJHL. After his first game (where he scored a hat trick to lead Rimouski back after training 3-0), he was shutout in his second game, scored 5 points in his third (2 G, 3 A - including the game winning goal 9 seconds into overtime), and then 1 assist in his fourth game.

EDIT: For comparisons, Mario Lemieux scored 96 points in 64 games in his first season in the Q (as a 16 year old - the same age as Crosby). However, since then the Q has less offensive.

Last edited by chrisj : 09-22-2003 at 08:11 PM.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 AM   #1724
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This is why I love Bob Gainey...

Quote:

Gainey lashes out at fans

September 29, 2003

Nearly three months into his new job, Montreal Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey finally gave the media something to write about Saturday after staunchly defending embattled rearguard Patrice Brisebois.

Brisebois, long a target of Molson Centre fans for his soft defensive play and large contract, drew boos from the home crowd nearly every time he touched the puck during Saturday's 3-1 pre-season win over the Buffalo Sabres.

``We don't need those people, we don't want those people, they're jealous people, yellow people,'' said Gainey of the boo birds. ``I think they're a bunch of gutless bastards, to be honest.''

Gainey's words marked the first time a member of Montreal's management team publicly defended Brisebois, who has endured three seasons of abuse in Montreal.

``Our message to them is to stay away,'' Gainey said. ``We don't need you.''

For his part, Brisebois was happy someone was finally sticking up for him.

``I appreciate his support,'' said a frustrated Brisebois. ``I've always said there are people who like me and appreciate me. I play for them, and my friends and family.''

According to various reports, the Canadiens had worked out a deal that would have sent the defenseman to the New Jersey Devils last March, but Brisebois opted to exercise his no-trade clause.

I miss him.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:50 AM   #1725
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think Montreal's problem is that they need more defensemen, and less "rearguards."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:17 AM   #1726
bbor
Pro Starter

WHEE...we got Klee....

Old 09-30-2003, 01:33 PM   #1727
henry296
College Starter

Penguins to attempt to sign Fleury.

http://www.postgazette.com/breaking/...30pensnet8.asp

Last edited by henry296 : 09-30-2003 at 01:34 PM.
henry296 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:07 PM   #1728
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oh yeah! Well we signed Ethan Moreau to a 4 year contract the other day. That's a guaranteed 30 goals over 4 years. So take that.

Stanley Cup, here we come

Last edited by klayman : 09-30-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #1729
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow! Anyone who hasn't- check out the story about Heatley and Dan Snyder on the Thrashers. Apparently they were speeding, lost control of the car, and crashed into a wall. Snyder is still in a coma and Heatley faces criminal charges.

SI

Old 10-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #1730
klayman
College Benchwarmer

It's going to be a long 11 months, I think

Quote:
Bettman downplays meetings with Goodenow

TORONTO (CP) -- It doesn't bode well for the NHL labour situation when the two sides can't agree on what constitutes a meeting.

NHL Players' Association head Bob Goodenow said Wednesday that there have been more than a dozen meetings already. They just hadn't been made public.

But league commissioner Gary Bettman seemed to indicate Thursday that those were informal discussions between he and Goodenow, nothing as official as Wednesday's session which included players and owners for the first time.

Goodenow slammed Bettman for that interpretation.

"My reference to the 12-plus meetings was in fact to full-day meetings between the parties, not casual phone conversations between Gary and I," Goodenow told The Canadian Press on Thursday evening.

"What Gary has to come to grips with is that his repeated public challenges to us during this past year to commence discussions was completely disingenuous, given all the meetings and discussions we both know were going on at the time," said Goodenow, who offered to supply dates and locations of the previous meetings from the past year.

Earlier Thursday, during a league conference call with reporters, Bettman was asked to clarify the timeline with regard to collective bargaining meetings and his response seemed to indicate that all discussions before Wednesday had been informal conversations between the two.

"That's an interesting question because I have consistently said over the last year that Bob and I meet and confer on a regular basis," Bettman said. "... I know Bob yesterday was quoted as saying 12 times. I'm surprised it was that infrequent because I know I talk to him much more frequently than that and I think I see him more frequently than that.

"There was a lot of speculation about when we were going to start formal negotiations and yesterday we were in a position to meet with players and owners, which made the process more formal than it's ever been. And in that regard I think it was a constructive step."

Bettman has regularly -- and publicly -- invited the NHLPA to start negotiations. Goodenow has finally had enough, deciding to come out and detail the earlier meetings.

"The only difference between yesterday's discussions and the previous discussions is that we broadened the participants by bringing in the players and the owners," said Goodenow. "The discussions were very, very similar in nature to previous discussions.

"To mischaracterize the previous meetings is misleading."

Either way, Wednesday's meeting was welcomed by all sides as the league and its players attempt to avoid a labour dispute when the collective bargaining agreement expires next September.

"We parted cordially yesterday. I think it was a constructive session in so far as we had a candid exchange of ideas and positions," Bettman said. "We agreed to disagree on some fundamental things, but we did agree to keep the lines of communication open."

The chief issue remains the NHL's pursuit of `cost certainty,' Bettman's catch phrase for some form of salary cap. The NHLPA remains steadfastly opposed.

"The players do not believe in a salary cap system, no question. They never have," Goodenow said. "The league has never operated under a salary cap system in its history. The owners have complete control to set players' salaries."

The fact that unrestricted free agents Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya, Joe Nieuwendyk, Magnus Arvedson and Bryan Marchment, among others, all took pay cuts on the open market this summer seems to further back the NHLPA's argument that a cap isn't needed to curtail salaries.

"The system has always been that way," Goodenow said. "It's (the owners') responsibility to run their businesses efficiently. And what we've seen this summer is teams making decisions. And I think that's healthy. That's evidence of a market place working."

The league's position is clear. While revenues have grown over the years, they haven't increased nearly as fast as players' salaries. The average NHL salary was $1.79 million US this year, up from $558,000 US in 1993-94.

The league released a memo to its owners this summer stating that total operating losses last season reached nearly $300 million, compared to losses of $40 million in 1993-94.

"The hockey business, from revenue and attendance and exposure standpoints, from a licensing and sponsorship standpoint, has probably never been stronger," Bettman said. "But we have disparities between revenues and expenses and we have disparities among teams in terms of what they are able to do and we need for the long haul to create and agree upon a system that will address those disparities so that all of our teams can be stable, healthy and competitive.

"By the same token while the revenue sources have never been higher, the same can be said of players' salaries, which have increased at a rate even faster than our revenues and is at the core of the economic problems that we're having."

The problem at this point is that the NHLPA doesn't believe the league's financial records, despite the fact they have been shared with the union. For example, while the Los Angeles Kings continue to post losses, the union believes the Staples Center -- owned by the Kings -- continues to make a profit but isn't included in the Kings' financial records.

"We do not believe that they are accurate," Goodenow said of the numbers the league has put forward. "And No. 2, that they completely represent all the business components involved in running a professional franchise."

Bettman defended the league's financial numbers earlier in the day.

"I have complete and total confidence in our understanding of the economics of our business," Bettman said. "I believe we have done an excellent job of making the union aware of the economics of our business and I really don't think there's any bonafide dispute as to our condition. ...

"To the extent that there is not an understanding or a belief that there is a problem then the union needs to get itself up to speed and comfortable because we believe to a certainty and we're relying on it with everything we do."
Old 10-02-2003, 10:08 PM   #1731
bbor
Pro Starter

I have a feeling...and hope,that they just extend the current contract.It looks like the owners have controlled themselves over the summer in regards to spending...so perhaps there is no need for a cap?

Old 10-02-2003, 11:05 PM   #1732
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I don't share your optimism. Extending the deal just prolongs the suffering. I think the only reason the salaries were controlled was under the threat of uncertainty in the labour agreement, and that was by both the players and the owners. Take that away and salaries continue to rise. Then maybe you get some bonehead new owner come in (like a Russian in Vancouver?) and start throwing money around paying 8 million a year for a 3rd line center, suddenly every 3rd line center in the league starts thinking they should be paid 8 million a year, and we're right back to Bankrupt City, Population: 1/2 the NHL.

I also don't think just a cap will solve all the problems, and Bettman saying that "the hockey business, from revenue and attendance and exposure standpoints, from a licensing and sponsorship standpoint, has probably never been stronger" is such crap. Maybe 5 years ago that was true. That certainly isn't true today. We had two teams almost close up shop during last season for crying out loud, who is he trying to kid? He's too busy spinning PR then working on fixing the problems with the league. A cap might make the small market teams more competitive (read as league parity), but it certainly won't magically increase revenue by $300 million the league is reportedly losing a season (even though from an attendance standpoint, the NHL has never been stronger).

But who am I to throw stones. I'll gladly pay $50 a night to watch 40 men give half an effort for 80% of the season, even though I get more enjoyment out of watching my kid brother play rep hockey in Sherwood Park, and after the labour lockout, I'll still come back drooling for more (and probably pay more for it as well). It's sad, really.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:20 PM   #1733
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Funny how this sounds a lot like baseball. And after all the haggling, they even made a more "owner friendly" deal than before and nothing at all changed..

SI

Old 10-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #1734
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I love hockey, but I want to see a work stoppage. A long one. It's the only way we're going to see real change to a system that's horribly broken.

The NHL sucks right now. Not all of that is because of the off-ice stuff, of course, but that's part of it. I'm willing to go without hockey for a year if it means they fix this once and for all.

Institute a salary cap. The NFL and NBA have one. Baseball at least has a luxury tax. There's no reason why the NHL, by far the least successful of the big four, should be the only league without anything. Find a system that allows the mid-markets to compete. Let the small markets go out of business. There's not enough talent out there for 30 teams anyways.

Just don't take the easy way out. Get it done, no matter how painful.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #1735
Blade6119
Coordinator

insightful...i have to say i agree....except for the fact i have strong fantasy team and dont want to see it go bye-bye
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:06 AM   #1736
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
I love hockey, but I want to see a work stoppage. A long one. It's the only way we're going to see real change to a system that's horribly broken.

I agree. There is way more broken here than just the labour agreement. But a bad deal or a long stoppage means the end of the Flames and Oilers, and I'm not willing to settle for that. And that also means instead of 3/4 of the games on HNIC featuring the Leafs, they'll all be on the Leafs. Hell, they might as well just rename it Hockey Night with Toronto. If anything could turn me away from hockey, that'd be it. I'll have to spend Saturday nights talking with my girlfriend or something. *Shudders at the thought*

Old 10-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #1737
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
I agree. There is way more broken here than just the labour agreement. But a bad deal or a long stoppage means the end of the Flames and Oilers...
What makes you think that? I suppose it's possible, but they seem like the types of teams that would benefit from a new system. They have solid fan support, and with the Canadian dollar getting better their finances aren't in bad shape. They just can't compete with the big-money teams on the ice, at least not without some sort of cap.

I could see a worst-case scenario where the Flames went away, but I suspect the Oilers will be fine.

P.S. The country gets Maple Leaf games because, when they put other teams on, nobody watches.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #1738
bbor
Pro Starter

Baseball had big problems....had a work stoppage and STILL did'nt fix anything.A work stoppage in no way means that Hockeys broken economics will be fixed.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #1739
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd also love to see a stoppage. I'd honestly like to see the whole thing blown up. Start from scratch with some realistic salary levels in cities that actually care, even when their team isn't necessarily winning.

It's funny, people always mention how the NFL has the best system, but that it can't truly be copied because no other league has the TV revenues like they do. But beyond the revenue sharing, the other thing the NFL's salary cap structure creates is the much talked-about 'parity', and this is where fans really win. In the NFL, every fan in almost every city can be optomistic on day 1, because almost every team has a realistic shot at making a run. And even the teams that are rebuilding can do so in a relatively short period of time (assuming their management isn't full of boneheads).

In the NHL, if you aren't one of the elite teams, your chances of becoming one are slim. The same 6 or 7 teams dominate every year, because they can simply sign all the good players and all the good players want to play for them. Even when the other teams decide they have the money to spend, it's still hard to attract big names because the big names would rather play for a winner now, not sometime in the future.

If the NHL wants to be succesful, they need to do the following:

1) Institute a salary cap. And not something stupid like in basketball or the crap they have in baseball. A nice, hard, cap.
2) Institute a salary floor. Just like there shouldn't be any New York Rangers spend-a-thons, there shouldn't be any Pittsburgh Penguins sell-everything-that's-not-tied-down-a-thons either.
3) Get rid of guaranteed contracts. Theo Fleury, you better be listening. Umm, you too CuJo.
4) Implement a "franchise player" tag similar to the NFL's

Of course, will this ever happen? No. In the end, I suspect the owners will fold just like they always do.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #1740
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Baseball had big problems....had a work stoppage and STILL did'nt fix anything.A work stoppage in no way means that Hockeys broken economics will be fixed.

I was really hoping for one from baseball this time around to fix the problems. Instead we got a half assed bandaid, the Yankees still spent $160M this year and half the teams in the majors still have no legit prayer at the beginning of the year even with as much fun as I had watching the Royals this year.

SI

Old 10-03-2003, 02:12 PM   #1741
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think much of the problem stems from the commissioners of the leagues. In my mind Tagliabue and Stern are head and shoulders ahead of Selig and Bettman in almost all facets of their jobs, from the games themselves to how they want to handle marketing, advertising, etc. Not to mention their relations with their respective unions. Football and basketball unions at least seem to sometimes be on the same page as the owners/commissioner, but rarely if ever is this seen in baseball or hockey. Baseball and hockey owners/players seem more intent on proving their side is right than on working out an equitable deal for both sides.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:57 PM   #1742
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
What makes you think that? I suppose it's possible, but they seem like the types of teams that would benefit from a new system. They have solid fan support, and with the Canadian dollar getting better their finances aren't in bad shape. They just can't compete with the big-money teams on the ice, at least not without some sort of cap.

I could see a worst-case scenario where the Flames went away, but I suspect the Oilers will be fine.

P.S. The country gets Maple Leaf games because, when they put other teams on, nobody watches.

Ah, but I didn't say they wouldn't benifit from a new system. I said a bad deal or a long lockout would be the death of them, what they need is a new system, but they need it now.

The owners (Oilers) themselves have said they will pull out if they don't get a favorable agreement. I assume that under a lockout, they would still have operating expenses, and neither team has a big pool of cash to operate from. As the lockout drags on, the owner group starts to fall apart like a house of cards. If I remember correctly one or two of the owners wanted to pull out last season, and the Oilers just broke even last season. If we're talking about writing off a season, forget it, those owners are gone.

And the Leaf thing was just a joke. We see all the Oiler/Flame games on sportsnet anyway
Old 10-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #1743
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Fidatelo, I agree with everything you said. It's especially sad that the players would never accept the 4 points you mentioned, just for the good of the game. They could surprise me, but the initial reactions from Goodenow don't look good. If he's starting to count every penny that teams are making, you can damn well be sure the players aren't going to give up anything just for the future of the sport.

Edit: To make myself clear, I agree with the need to have the whole system scrapped and start all over, not the long lockout part. But they probably go hand and hand.

Last edited by klayman : 10-03-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 PM   #1744
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
I think much of the problem stems from the commissioners of the leagues. In my mind Tagliabue and Stern are head and shoulders ahead of Selig and Bettman in almost all facets of their jobs, from the games themselves to how they want to handle marketing, advertising, etc. Not to mention their relations with their respective unions. Football and basketball unions at least seem to sometimes be on the same page as the owners/commissioner, but rarely if ever is this seen in baseball or hockey. Baseball and hockey owners/players seem more intent on proving their side is right than on working out an equitable deal for both sides.

Triple Dola in the Hockey Thread!!!!

Never used to be like that. But who would think that the Alan Eagleson days of collusion with the owners were the "good old days" of hockey labour relations?
Old 10-03-2003, 05:53 PM   #1745
Karim
College Starter

Calgary had several sell outs last year and better average attendance than Ottawa. This is with a team that has missed the playoffs seven consecutive years. Make no mistakes, Calgary is a hockey city.

One more owner is on board, making the total 9, I believe - all/most in the resource sector not surprising. Corporate support is quite strong. Boxes are all sold.

But as Klayman has already indicated, neither ownership group for the Alberta teams can hold out indefinitely.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:48 PM   #1746
henry296
College Starter

Draft Picks Signed

Pens Sign Fleury

ESPN reports that Stahl and Horton also signed, so the Top 3 picks in the draft will be in the NHL.

Tod
Old 10-06-2003, 02:51 PM   #1747
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I notice the Hawks get one of their few games on tv this Wednesday on opening night!

EDIT: Actually, the Hawks have quite a few games on tv this year. Then again, there are very few not against teams named Detroit, Colorado, or Dallas.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #1748
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Re: Draft Picks Signed

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
Pens Sign Fleury

Did Fleury get paid extra for babysitting?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:04 PM   #1749
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
I notice the Hawks get one of their few games on tv this Wednesday on opening night!

EDIT: Actually, the Hawks have quite a few games on tv this year. Then again, there are very few not against teams named Detroit, Colorado, or Dallas.

SI

Well if it makes you feel better you probably won't be missing much