Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #51
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

3 of my first 4 picks are 26(1) or 27(2). Hopefully I will rock with a team full of 30 year old rookies in a few years.

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
me too

Don't click on the draft log. It's not even on my file anymore since I uploaded the one to you all. So I'm guessing it's another "quirk."

You can view your own team's draft by going to team history and clicking "draft history"
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I went through and tried to set the creation age modifiers to the same for all levels of our league, so the old timers shouldn't come back next year. I'll log a bug over in OOTP land that'll be ignored.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #54
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
So there are a few bumps, apparently. He shouldn't have been created, because I have the game set to create 17-23 year olds for our league.

But this is OOTP, grr.

I've fixed him, along with Jamal Potter, who was apparently twenty-freakin-five. Both are now 23. This is the first-year player draft, not the Rule 5 draft.

Cool, I appreciate that. I am guessing the other two will be done as well? I know from round 5-9 my guys are fine, 23 or 22. I will check the rest when I open the game for a third time.....yes I keep clicking from the log, it is the fastest way. edit: until you reminded me about the team history draft page. doh!

Last edited by Cringer : 07-16-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #55
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Crap, team history draft page just closed the game on me too. I will just write names down and check through the team roster page......
Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Cool, I appreciate that. I am guessing the other two will be done as well? I know from round 5-9 my guys are fine, 23 or 22. I will check the rest when I open the game for a third time.....yes I keep clicking from the log, it is the fastest way. edit: until you reminded me about the team history draft page. doh!

No, just the first rounders. It's a slippery slope otherwise. All I can do is try to weed it out for future drafts. And if nothing else, this process is still better than the CRE situation where you might get 10 players or might get zero.

We'll refine it and it'll get better.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So there are a few bumps, apparently. He shouldn't have been created, because I have the game set to create 17-23 year olds for our league.

But this is OOTP, grr.

I've fixed him, along with Jamal Potter, who was apparently twenty-freakin-five. Both are now 23. This is the first-year player draft, not the Rule 5 draft.

I was going to comment about that.. Potter is 25 but has skills of a 21 year old. Even at 23 years old, I fear he'll probably be a bust as he isn't developed enough at this point...

Ahh well.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I was going to comment about that.. Potter is 25 but has skills of a 21 year old. Even at 23 years old, I fear he'll probably be a bust as he isn't developed enough at this point...

Ahh well.

Ronco's dev modifiers make guys take longer in the minors to reach their potential. It's possible he could be a late bloomer. Your RW rationale could simply be that he had all of the tools in the world, I could change his name to make him Cuban if you want and that way, in a few years, you can find out he was older than you thought.

Would that make it better?

I'm doing research now. There is apparently a way to set draft preferences. Or so I'm reading.

Yup. Apparently, there is a way to load the game to set your draft preferences, effectively to pick for each round, the player you'd want (in order of availability). What a tool, eh?

At least now we know about it for the future. Should make life a lot easier.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-16-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sheesh, shouldn't we just cut these guys? What's the point? I understand you will fix my 26-year-old first rounder, but I just went through my first seven picks before OOTP crashed on me, and found six of them were 25 or older. If we're only fixing first rounders, I am thinking, we should just cut everyone below that from our teams, because it would seem likely that the divvying up of "23 year olds to 27 year olds" may not all that fair of a breakdown for each team (meaning if one team got a bunch of 23 year olds for some reason, then they really struck it rich here, while others could be totally screwed this draft with older players).

Plus, I definitely need to know what's going on with these guys long term, because I have some roster cuts to make again. Took me forever last week.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #60
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, appreciate the effort with the draft, DC. This is about the CF that OOTP made of this draft, and I appreciate the time you put into it on your end. Not much you can do with flaws like these, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #61
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

CF =! centerfielder in the context above, BTW.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, this first draft was a dry run. We just needed to see how it worked and had we not, we'd not know what muck OOTP would make of it for us, nor did we know it's possible to load draft lists for export once the draft list gets revealed. So that's nice to know for next year.

I will use what knowledge I have about OOTP drafting to ensure that next year, we can almost certainly eliminate these aged draftees from contaminating our draft pools.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #63
muns
Pro Starter

Since Chief Brought it up, Id also like to say DC is doing a hell of a job, and this is by far the most fun ive had in an online league for some time now.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, this first draft was a dry run. We just needed to see how it worked and had we not, we'd not know what muck OOTP would make of it for us, nor did we know it's possible to load draft lists for export once the draft list gets revealed. So that's nice to know for next year.

I will use what knowledge I have about OOTP drafting to ensure that next year, we can almost certainly eliminate these aged draftees from contaminating our draft pools.

Yeah, but I need to know what to do about this year's guys. Dry run or not, here they are. Not sure yet if everyone got a fair shake. I haven't reviewed at all. I know I personally would like to see more than one round of older players bumped back to 23 at least. Some players just aren't worth it, of course, but some are. But I know it's a lot of work, too.

I was thinking we might do something where each team can name up to a certain number of their picks they would like to see dropped to 23, eligible only to players who are 24 and older, of course. Maybe five or six. I think that would go a long way to making this draft at least decent instead of a lost cause.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #65
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I would imagine that changing ages itself is easy, but finding the players might be difficult. So, yes, I realize that could be some work (or maybe it will be easier than I think, not sure). I would do it for everyone myself if I was able to, but I can't think of a way to do that.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #66
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, but I need to know what to do about this year's guys. Dry run or not, here they are. Not sure yet if everyone got a fair shake. I haven't reviewed at all. I know I personally would like to see more than one round of older players bumped back to 23 at least. Some players just aren't worth it, of course, but some are. But I know it's a lot of work, too.

I was thinking we might do something where each team can name up to a certain number of their picks they would like to see dropped to 23, eligible only to players who are 24 and older, of course. Maybe five or six. I think that would go a long way to making this draft at least decent instead of a lost cause.

Not to get lost in the trade hubbub, but is there any possibility we can do something about this? Like I said, I would offer up my services to change all the players' ages on every team myself if I had the access rights, but I don't (nor am I sure it's a good deal to give any owner except the commish such rights, of course).

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #67
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a bunch of the drafted guys that I am going to release as age 27 Single A talent (with talent as a loosely used word), but I'll hold off until we have some ruling if anything further is going to happen with this or not.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #68
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I was about ready to throw a hissy fit. First, it looked like my first-round pick was a 1.5-star middle reliever, but of course I'm stuffed in the bullpen plus 1.5-stars? Then I realise the list is reversed, and I'm looking at the 15th round. So I click round 1-9, only to see a .5-star SP as my first round pick. Then I remember that it's REVERSED, and scroll to the bottom.

Cool, a nice SP and a nice RF with the first two picks. Good job AI.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #69
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The only guys I ended up with older than 23 don't have any real talent, so I have no stake in the age issue. I'm fine with how my draft turned out.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the uniform rule I employed of changing guys from the first round and no one else. I don't really want to go through and change the entire draft. Does it suck? Yeah. Is it fair? Not really.

But I will generate the draft pool next year and ensure no one in the draft is over 23, so this won't happen again.

I'm considering adding rounds to next year's draft to compensate or if we decide to add the vulture league, then we can get rid of the feeders and that will increase the overall talent available to you all upcoming.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #71
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like the uniform rule I employed of changing guys from the first round and no one else. I don't really want to go through and change the entire draft. Does it suck? Yeah. Is it fair? Not really.

But I will generate the draft pool next year and ensure no one in the draft is over 23, so this won't happen again.

I'm considering adding rounds to next year's draft to compensate or if we decide to add the vulture league, then we can get rid of the feeders and that will increase the overall talent available to you all upcoming.

I thought studies showed adding rounds to the draft doesn't add overall talent to the league, but instead just adds a bunch of 1 star and 1/2 star players to the end? Is that not true with ootp9 anymore?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #72
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I thought studies showed adding rounds to the draft doesn't add overall talent to the league, but instead just adds a bunch of 1 star and 1/2 star players to the end? Is that not true with ootp9 anymore?

It's true if you let the AI generate the players organically. I've run these kinds of drafts in my solo leagues and know how to perfect it, essentially by allowing the game not to generate anybody and instead using the "create fictional player" button to dictate the size and depth of your draft. That yields a better overall crop. I have no idea why, but it works.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #73
Tellistto
College Prospect

Did any of you look at the histories of those players that are over 23? I have looked at the 25 year old closer my team drafted, and he was created by the game in 1962, was released from his college team in 1963, and has spent the rest of his life in limbo waiting to be drafted. I'm sure that is what happened to every player that was over the age limits. It's a conversion/not having a draft issue that was bound to happen given OOTP's quirks.

I'd expect it to happen until all those players are either drafted or retire.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #74
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quite a few of the guys my team drafted are old leftovers from the old feeders, actually.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Did any of you look at the histories of those players that are over 23? I have looked at the 25 year old closer my team drafted, and he was created by the game in 1962, was released from his college team in 1963, and has spent the rest of his life in limbo waiting to be drafted. I'm sure that is what happened to every player that was over the age limits. It's a conversion/not having a draft issue that was bound to happen given OOTP's quirks.

I'd expect it to happen until all those players are either drafted or retire.

Tell

My plan was to

1) delete the current feeders
2) delete any draftees the game generates
3) create a new crop

I have a feeling that you're right that it's due to stupid OOTP issues.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #76
muns
Pro Starter

I only looked at my first 2 picks before it crashed but they were pretty solid picks at the lower end of the order. Not what I would have went with, but over all ill take them in a heartbeat.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #77
muns
Pro Starter

Chief, how long did it take you to make your cuts? its taking me forever to decide on stuff
Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief, how long did it take you to make your cuts? its taking me forever to decide on stuff

I haven't started yet. I had to wait for DC's decision on the drafted players' age issue, which now makes two decisions I am deeply disappointed in.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #79
muns
Pro Starter

looks like youll be doing this till the last min with me then
Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #80
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
looks like youll be doing this till the last min with me then

Probably. Got until tomorrow at least. And my MLB roster is pretty much set.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think what really tees me off is that the guy the AI drafted for me in the first round is complete junk. A SP with two Pot ratings below 60? Gimme a break. I would even accept just one player being changed if I could just choose the player. My second round pick is a much, much better player than my first rounder. So "saving" my first rounder is sort of a pisser in the Cheerios that basically does nothing for me. You might as well just leave my 1st rounder at 26, because I don't see him making a major league roster ever.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think what really tees me off is that the guy the AI drafted for me in the first round is complete junk. A SP with two Pot ratings below 60? Gimme a break. I would even accept just one player being changed if I could just choose the player. My second round pick is a much, much better player than my first rounder. So "saving" my first rounder is sort of a pisser in the Cheerios that basically does nothing for me. You might as well just leave my 1st rounder at 26, because I don't see him making a major league roster ever.

I've done the same for second rounders now, too.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've done the same for second rounders now, too.

Thank you. That means a lot to me. It's one of my pet peeves that things should be as fair as we can reasonably make them, and this draft was just awful for that. I appreciate you doing that.